PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - R7, Vs Richmond

Scraggers
05-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 6 match against Fremantle for our Round 7, 2019 match against Richmond at Marvel Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
27-04-2019, 11:13 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
27-04-2019, 11:33 PM
No Change

MrMahatma
27-04-2019, 11:47 PM
No Change

Out: English
In: Roarke Smith (love that guy)

Bevo

comrade
27-04-2019, 11:48 PM
No Change

Yep. Lipinski will get 30+ tomorrow and next week we’ll still get to watch Hayes miss 17 meter passes under no pressure.

Bullies
27-04-2019, 11:50 PM
Out : Gowers and Dickson

IN: Wouldn't care if we played 2 short so long as they are no longer in the side.

josie
28-04-2019, 12:12 AM
In Schache and Lippy and Webb
Out Gowers and Dickson and Dunkley

Hope Cavarra shows some form tomorrow - we need a crafty forward (who kicks straight).

westbulldog
28-04-2019, 12:19 AM
Out Gowers, Lachie Young
In Lipinski, Roberts

Eastdog
28-04-2019, 03:22 AM
In: Schache and Lipinski

Out: Gowers and Dickson

I think we still persist with Dunkley.

Keen to hear how Schache, Lipinski and Cavarra go for Footscray in the VFL.

Hotdog60
28-04-2019, 09:06 AM
At least with a game on today the MC can take in players willing to show there ready for a call up next week.
I think two of Gowers and Dickson need to be dropped.
I would also look at JJ. In the past he may have come straight in the seniors but he needs to build his fitness and touch as he is not doing enough in the ones.
If lynch has a good game today he could replace JJ.
Lipinski for Dickson and depends who steps up from Schache or Boyd.

Go_Dogs
28-04-2019, 09:58 AM
I didn't have the pleasure of sitting through last night's game (other than intermittently viewing on my phone) however it's clear that our season is cooked and we may as well focus on getting matches into some of the players who can be difference makers for us.

With that in mind, I would make the following changes:-

Out - Wood, Gowers, Young, Dickson

In - Young, Lipinski, Lynch, Dale

Let's bring Young in - we can play him back and hopefully that means we can keep Naughton forward. Naughton will struggle week to week given he's playing the hardest role in the side with the worst ball movement and execution in the league, but let's persist. Young can be a 10 year player - he may not be Brian Lake, however he was some tools and a future.

Let's bring Lipinski in - he got more games than he arguably would have last year due to injury, he did well, he's punched a hole through the door, let's get him in and play him in the midfield rotation. With Gowers and Dickson out, Wallis can play more forward and Lipinski can take the midfield minutes.

Let's bring Lynch in - he finished last year well, he can actually run and kick the footy and while he has some gaps in his game, he's the type of player we need and maybe he'll help our structures around the contest where we can have a designed runner/outside player to feed. He can kick goals and play a high half-forward, wing, half-back role so meets the versatility mantra to.

Let's bring Dale in - he's only just back from injury but again, he can actually run and kick the footy. His defensive work was shown to be deficient in 2018 before he got injured, so again, he'll do some things that frustrate. He knows when and where to lead though, and he'll be able to impact the scoreboard and kick goals from beyond 35m. Let's get him back into the side and see if he can save his career over the next 10 weeks.

Wood - you're the captain but your form stinks and while I've been happy for the MC to give you an opportunity to turn it around, now is a good chance to do the leader thing, go back to the VFL for a few weeks and work with our developing players and show how a real leader deals with and responds to adversity.

Lach Young - glad you got a taste, think we may have found a player, but a year developing in the VFL isn't a bad thing.

Gowers - needs to close the gap between his good and his horrid...like what he offers but want to give an opportunity to others who may be able to provide a more consistent output.

Dickson - long been a favourite, has slowed and lacks penetration with his kicking. Not a helpful combination for a 30 year old small forward.

DOG GOD
28-04-2019, 10:02 AM
I didn't have the pleasure of sitting through last night's game (other than intermittently viewing on my phone) however it's clear that our season is cooked and we may as well focus on getting matches into some of the players who can be difference makers for us.

With that in mind, I would make the following changes:-

Out - Wood, Gowers, Young, Dickson

In - Young, Lipinski, Lynch, Dale

Let's bring Young in - we can play him back and hopefully that means we can keep Naughton forward. Naughton will struggle week to week given he's playing the hardest role in the side with the worst ball movement and execution in the league, but let's persist. Young can be a 10 year player - he may not be Brian Lake, however he was some tools and a future.

Let's bring Lipinski in - he got more games than he arguably would have last year due to injury, he did well, he's punched a hole through the door, let's get him in and play him in the midfield rotation. With Gowers and Dickson out, Wallis can play more forward and Lipinski can take the midfield minutes.

Let's bring Lynch in - he finished last year well, he can actually run and kick the footy and while he has some gaps in his game, he's the type of player we need and maybe he'll help our structures around the contest where we can have a designed runner/outside player to feed. He can kick goals and play a high half-forward, wing, half-back role so meets the versatility mantra to.

Let's bring Dale in - he's only just back from injury but again, he can actually run and kick the footy. His defensive work was shown to be deficient in 2018 before he got injured, so again, he'll do some things that frustrate. He knows when and where to lead though, and he'll be able to impact the scoreboard and kick goals from beyond 35m. Let's get him back into the side and see if he can save his career over the next 10 weeks.

Wood - you're the captain but your form stinks and while I've been happy for the MC to give you an opportunity to turn it around, now is a good chance to do the leader thing, go back to the VFL for a few weeks and work with our developing players and show how a real leader deals with and responds to adversity.

Lach Young - glad you got a taste, think we may have found a player, but a year developing in the VFL isn't a bad thing.

Gowers - needs to close the gap between his good and his horrid...like what he offers but want to give an opportunity to others who may be able to provide a more consistent output.

Dickson - long been a favourite, has slowed and lacks penetration with his kicking. Not a helpful combination for a 30 year old small forward.

Spot on, but will the MC have the balls to make the hard decisions? Based on form, I think not, unfortunately.

DOG GOD
28-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Lippa, Lynch and dale already bring a fresh look to a tired and slow forward line.

Pickenitup
28-04-2019, 10:48 AM
In Schache or Boyd Lipinski Lynch
out Young Gowers Dickson

Happy Days
28-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Gonna wait to have a look at the twos, but Gowers can't play next week/in general.

Scraggers
28-04-2019, 01:44 PM
In Schache or Boyd Lipinski Lynch
out Young Gowers Dickson

Yep ... This is what I would do; preferring Schache over Boyd

Rocco Jones
28-04-2019, 04:27 PM
In: Lipsinki, Dale, Roberts
Out: Dickson, Gowers, Lachie Young

- Dickson and Gowers offer so little pressure wise and not much offensively. Simply have to go. Gowers seems to be a favourite of Bevo's...
- Lipsinki one of our better VFL players week in/week out. Needs to get a game.
- Hopefully Dale adds a bit of class forward, couldn't be much worse...
- I like Lachie Young but doesn't add to the team enough. Can't have him and Wood. I'd give Fletch a final go, has been decent enough in VFL.

Smads57
28-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Having watched the magoos....no change.

Grantysghost
28-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Out : Dickson, Dunkley
In : Boyd, West.

Dicko and Gowers too similar I just think Billy is more dynamic although it's a coin toss , but Dicko is maybe close to the end.
Boyd in, pinch in the ruck Trengove permanent back.
Dunkley just needs to work on his disposal. West looked composed and I think would be a good time to debut him.

I haven't looked at match ups to be fair but just on personnel I'd do this.

bornadog
28-04-2019, 06:12 PM
I think we need to replace a couple of forwards with at least a tall and a small.

In:

Schache - even though he probably doesn't deserve it , but could be a good in against Tigers.
Lipinski

Out: Gowers, and Dickson

Hotdog60
28-04-2019, 06:59 PM
I think we need to replace a couple of forwards with at least a tall and a small.

In:

Schache - even though he probably doesn't deserve it , but could be a good in against Tigers.
Lipinski

Out: Gowers, and Dickson

I would have gone with Schache but on todays performance it would be rewarding for playing poorly.
It really hard because no one put there hand up to be selected.
Can we go unchanged with the warning that those players are in the firing line if they don't improve.

whythelongface
28-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Do we bring in either Roberts or Lewis Young and try Trengove forward (again). Sure it hasn't worked in the past but at least he will make a contest. Drop either Dickson or Gowers. It is hard to make changes if no one is really putting up their hand in the magoos.

The other in should be Lipinski (based on reports). Probably drop Dunkley who, for mine, has been disappointing (I expected big things from him this year).

1eyedog
28-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Do we bring in either Roberts or Lewis Young and try Trengove forward (again). Sure it hasn't worked in the past but at least he will make a contest. Drop either Dickson or Gowers. It is hard to make changes if no one is really putting up their hand in the magoos.

The other in should be Lipinski (based on reports). Probably drop Dunkley who, for mine, has been disappointing (I expected big things from him this year).

No we bring in Schache and play a forward forward.

whythelongface
28-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Problem is that Schache is not really up to it as shown by his last two senior performances (and going by today's report). Yes of course would love to see him play forward once his form warrants it. My thinking with Trengove is at least he will make a contest and be hard at it, something that Schache currently lacks.

G-Mo77
28-04-2019, 08:15 PM

And bring Roberts in as a back. My reports from a friend was he played quite well and one of the few who wasn't a call up

MrMahatma
28-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Bevo’s presser seemed to focus on mid/small forwards. I’d expect some changes there.

Out: Gowers, Dickson, Dunkley, Lachlan Young
In: Lippinski, Shache, Dale, Lewis Young

Shache may be struggling but we need a better structure. Boyd needs match fitness but hopefully only a couple of weeks away.

Danjul
28-04-2019, 09:03 PM

Dunkley 24 disposals, Richards 12.

bornadog
28-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Dunkley 24 disposals, Richards 12.

I thought it was Dunkley's best game this year, although the goal he missed was atrocious.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Problem is that Schache is not really up to it as shown by his last two senior performances (and going by today's report). Yes of course would love to see him play forward once his form warrants it. My thinking with Trengove is at least he will make a contest and be hard at it, something that Schache currently lacks.

The extreme windy conditions today made it extremely difficult for a leading forward like Schache to succeed. Boyd also struggled today. On the other hand both Webb and Dale did well. At the moment we do not have an effective key forward. Schache isn’t strong overhead but leads and kicks well. We need players who are able to be able to dispose of the ball correctly by foot and so play to his strengths.

Scraggers
28-04-2019, 11:14 PM
The extreme windy conditions today made it extremely difficult for a leading forward like Schache to succeed. Boyd also struggled today. On the other hand both Webb and Dale did well. At the moment we do not have an effective key forward. Schache isn’t strong overhead but leads and kicks well. We need players who are able to be able to dispose of the ball correctly by foot and so play to his strengths.

I only watched the second half (online). Neither Schache or Boyd did enough to deserve a call up, but we need one of them. Given our current position, I would rather put game time into Schache than Boyd.

Danjul
28-04-2019, 11:47 PM
I only watched the second half (online). Neither Schache or Boyd did enough to deserve a call up, but we need one of them. Given our current position, I would rather put game time into Schache than Boyd.

Schache is one inch taller than Roberts who is approximately four inches taller than Gowers and Dixon. I think Roberts is better overhead in a pack (which is what the forward line is usually) so I would like to see him given a try at that end of the ground. I think he would work well with Naughton and Schache can come back when he finds some form,

Axe Man
29-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Riewoldt will be out again for Richmond so their forward line will be predominantly small with Lynch and perhaps Balta as the only talls to worry about. Can't see us bringing in an extra tall defender as some have suggested.

bornadog
29-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Riewoldt will be out again for Richmond so their forward line will be predominantly small with Lynch and perhaps Balta as the only talls to worry about. Can't see us bringing in an extra tall defender as some have suggested.

I think Riewoldt is out for 6 weeks, but good points, I can't see the MC changing the backline talls.

Who plays on Lynch?

Axe Man
29-04-2019, 11:45 AM
I think Riewoldt is out for 6 weeks, but good points, I can't see the MC changing the backline talls.

Who plays on Lynch?

Trengove is a better match size wise than Cordy, but can he keep up with him? How is Lynch moving? I haven't seen much of him for the tigers this year.

bornadog
29-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Trengove is a better match size wise than Cordy, but can he keep up with him? How is Lynch moving? I haven't seen much of him for the tigers this year.

He is pretty mobile for his size.

angelopetraglia
29-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Cordy is 191cm. Lynch is 199cm. It is a decent amount of size to concede but not as bad as Harry McKay who is 204cm.

Lewis Young 197cm and Fletcher Roberts 196cm are much better suited to these tall mobile players.

Axe Man
29-04-2019, 04:07 PM
Cordy is 191cm. Lynch is 199cm. It is a decent amount of size to concede but not as bad as Harry McKay who is 204cm.

Lewis Young 197cm and Fletcher Roberts 196cm are much better suited to these tall mobile players.

Heights are always a bit dubious across the AFL but I am fairly confident Cordy is taller than 191cm - he is officially listed at 193cm. Despite giving away size I would be far more confident seeing him line up on Lynch than Young, who despite an extra few cms still has a long way to go with his one on one defending.

G-Mo77
29-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Heights are always a bit dubious across the AFL but I am fairly confident Cordy is taller than 191cm - he is officially listed at 193cm. Despite giving away size I would be far more confident seeing him line up on Lynch than Young, who despite an extra few cms still has a long way to go with his one on one defending.

Not just height but weight. Cordy is a lot leaner than the big guys he's coming up against. Lynch is a strong lad and he'll monster Cordy, it'll be a slaughter like against McKay. I'd be disappointed if we don't bring in someone to counter it.

I'll be disappointed......

bornadog
29-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Not just height but weight. Cordy is a lot leaner than the big guys he's coming up against. Lynch is a strong lad and he'll monster Cordy, it'll be a slaughter like against McKay. I'd be disappointed if we don't bring in someone to counter it.

I'll be disappointed......

Who would you suggest?

The Pie Man
29-04-2019, 07:16 PM
It’s either Trengove, Lewis Young or Roberts for Lynch, so it’s likely Jackson.

Suckling a likely inclusion would see Lachie Young make way - he looks a player though

Dale for Gowers would have to be looked at.

Lipinski deserves a run but for who... I’d love to see him take Hunter’s spot but it won’t happen.

Sigh

Axe Man
29-04-2019, 07:20 PM

Suckling a likely inclusion would see Lachie Young make way - he looks a player though

Lipinski deserves a run but for who... I’d love to see him take Hunter’s spot but it won’t happen.

Sigh

Suckling is expected back for the Brisbane game, not this week.

You want to drop Hunter who has been widely acknowledged as one of our best on the weekend???

G-Mo77
29-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Who would you suggest?

Roberts not overly strong but would be our best option IMO. Maybe Naughton stands him and we bring Schache back in up forward. It's not going to happen though, we'll go in with our mosquito fleet and have another honorable loss.

FrediKanoute
29-04-2019, 08:05 PM
In Lipinksi and Dale - reward good performances

Out Gowers and Dunkley - I would give Dicko one more week. He needs to prove that he has a little left in the tank. Dunk's is the surplus requirement in that midfield and both Dale and Lippa offer more from a spread perspective.

Wood, I thought was ok. Held his own against the Freo forwards and allowed guys like Crozier to run off. We would miss his experience down back if he was dropped.

Mofra
29-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Sigh
Based on the VFL game Lewis Young played forward and chopped out in the ruck.
We desperately need a second tall forward to split the defenders and right now Young was the only kid who looked remotely interested in winning his spot back.

Lippi played inside mid and I'm not sure he offers us anything in the middle we don't already have.
Baily Dale is pushing for selection but I suspect he plays 1 more VFL game.

I expect we'll go in with no change.

josie
29-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Webb has also played OK this year and is no slower thank Dunkley and a far superior kick. Flip a coin bw Webb and Lippi to replace Dunkley. Lynch looked good R23 against Tigers-wonder if he will get a call up as he has a bit of zip and with JJ still yet to come good might be useful. Not sure who for though.

The Pie Man
29-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Suckling is expected back for the Brisbane game, not this week.

You want to drop Hunter who has been widely acknowledged as one of our best on the weekend???

Yup mucked up the Suckling call

I know Hunter is routinely named in our best...I’m just sick of the dodgy disposal & at times questionable effort at the contest. Lippa has a tank (not sure if it’s comparable to Lachie’s) and is a far better kick.

I’m convinced our midfield needs a shake up - Bailey Smith is a start, but we need more scoreboard production and effective F50 entries, and the likes of Macrae & Hunter just aren’t it

Mofra
30-04-2019, 11:05 AM
I know Hunter is routinely named in our best...I’m just sick of the dodgy disposal & at times questionable effort at the contest. Lippa has a tank (not sure if it’s comparable to Lachie’s) and is a far better kick.
Hunter has one of the best tanks in the entire competition and is the best at our club.
Reigning B&F winner who just managed 10 votes in the coaches award.

Lippi didn't have the greatest game in the VFL and was playing mostly as an inside mid. He's much slower than Hunter.

I'd find room for Lewie Young as a forward and instruct him to get nowhere near Naughton and to split the defenders. We have the option of rolling him back when Trengove rucks even though Lewis rucked against Willy.

The Pie Man
30-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Hunter has one of the best tanks in the entire competition and is the best at our club.

Lippi didn't have the greatest game in the VFL and was playing mostly as an inside mid. He's much slower than Hunter.

I'd find room for Lewie Young as a forward and instruct him to get nowhere near Naughton and to split the defenders. We have the option of rolling him back when Trengove rucks even though Lewis rucked against Willy.

If I stand back and review my opinion of Hunter, it is a bit similar to some posters views on Suckling....I get the 10 coaches votes and B&F last year....I just feel like I'm watching a different player. His disposal over 20-25 metres is ok, but anything longer than that just doesn't help us (he had impressive 'metres gained' numbers on Saturday night, would be interested in metres lost in turnover following those disposals though) And is Lipinski really much slower than Hunter? I wouldn't have thought either are considered quick.

Re: Lewis Young forward - yeah, why not....can't see it after his game against Willy though.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2019, 06:15 PM

Lewis Young looked really good in the ruck with his excellent leapafter taking over from Boyd. Should be an excellent back up to English with both alternating at CHF in a bid to lift our ordinary attack. Would prefer to see Naughton in defence where we badly lack height.

Danjul
01-05-2019, 07:24 PM
Lewis Young looked really good in the ruck with his excellent leapafter taking over from Boyd. Should be an excellent back up to English with both alternating at CHF in a bid to lift our ordinary attack. Would prefer to see Naughton in defence where we badly lack height.

I watched some of that vfl game and I was surprised at the contrast between the rucking styles displayed by Boyd and Young. Boyd,who has been coached for years in that role, was hitting the ball to his feet. All that did was lock the ball in.

Young always attempted to hit the ball clear. He usually got his hand to the ball. Admittedly he was playing on the second ruckman but he looked good.

G-Mo77
01-05-2019, 08:10 PM
I'm shaking my head that we were actually using Lewis as a ruck. It just pisses me off because we gave 2 rucks away for nothing and now ruining the development of other players to fill the hole these muppets left. My god, my old country club knew how to run a team better than this.

Danjul
01-05-2019, 08:51 PM
I'm shaking my head that we were actually using Lewis as a ruck. It just pisses me off because we gave 2 rucks away for nothing and now ruining the development of other players to fill the hole these muppets left. My god, my old country club knew how to run a team better than this.

The old saying is “Jack of all trades but master of none “. That’s why nobody has a commanding influence in their position. That’s why we don’t have match winners.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2019, 09:07 PM

I understand your frustrations but just by some good stroke of fortune, we may have found something special in Lewis Young

Go_Dogs
01-05-2019, 09:14 PM
I stand by my inclusions earlier in the week.

Lewis, Lipinski, Lynch, Dale.

If we lose we still lose, but let's try something a bit different.

Happy for Schache to have another week or two in the B's.

bornadog
01-05-2019, 09:16 PM

Don't worry, I doubt it will be happening

kruder
01-05-2019, 09:41 PM

So Young is now a forward? Why not ruck? Why not wing? Ahh you got to love having flexible players on the list.

bornadog
01-05-2019, 11:18 PM
So Young is now a forward? Why not ruck? Why not wing? Ahh you got to love having flexible players on the list.

Young has played forward in the VFL quite a few times in the past two years. He only backed up in the ruck due to Sweet suspended. I think Gardner didn't play either.

Axe Man
02-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Astbury likely to miss this week for the Tigers with Rance obviously out as well.

Good opportunity to play 2 tall forwards with Grimes taking one and a lesser defender the other. May also trickle down to a more favourable matchup for Gowers if he holds his place in the team.

bornadog
02-05-2019, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised with no change, but who knows.

Mofra
02-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Astbury likely to miss this week for the Tigers with Rance obviously out as well.

Good opportunity to play 2 tall forwards with Grimes taking one and a lesser defender the other. May also trickle down to a more favourable matchup for Gowers if he holds his place in the team.
Is Garthwaite fit? Quality young KPD. Certainly no pushover.

Rocket Science
02-05-2019, 02:33 PM

That sir, is crazy talk.

Opposition looking a bit height-deficient down back? Roll out the mosquito fleet! They'll never expect it!

Remi Moses
02-05-2019, 02:41 PM
They played young as a second ruck as what happens now nobody plays with two rucks
Campbell was hopeless and roughy was awful in the role for the last two years

Remi Moses
02-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Young has played forward in the VFL quite a few times in the past two years. He only backed up in the ruck due to Sweet suspended. I think Gardner didn't play either.

Thankyou ! The negativity has hit 12 on here ! Gardner didn’t play so they tried Young forward as they hardly kicked a goal for 3 terms

Axe Man
02-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Is Garthwaite fit? Quality young KPD. Certainly no pushover.

Yes he is the likely inclusion for Astbury. He certainly looked promising last year but has to be better for us than Rance or Astbury.

G-Mo77
02-05-2019, 07:23 PM
LMAO. No change.

Remi Moses
02-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Is this April 1?

FrediKanoute
02-05-2019, 07:30 PM
I am surprised. If Schache gets dumped for 2 weeks of poor efforts, but Gowers/Dicko get to stay for multiple weeks of poor efforts then we have issues. I believe we weren't far away from Freo, but that doesn't mean "no change". Even the Emergencies are uninspiring.....

Rocket Science
02-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Well in fairness who in the VFL squad has any genuine claims based on the outing against Willy?

Unchanged or not every one not named Caleb really just needs to lift.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2019, 07:35 PM
No Change

I won! I won! For the first time since 2014 I won!

G-Mo77
02-05-2019, 07:38 PM
I won! I won! For the first time since 2014 I won!

That is the only win you'll be celebrating this weekend.

bulldogtragic
02-05-2019, 07:46 PM
That is the only win you'll be celebrating this weekend.

Yeah. But I won! And, it kind of feels like a rogue employee trying to get the boss to sack them.

... Yeah, well, what if I play one kid ruck...
... Ok, Im droping a young KPF who looked good prior...
... Tall defenders isnt really a thing I like to do...
... Now I'm making Dunkley take the ruck, but not contest it...
... Well I like the non influence of Gowers and others. They stay...
... Turn it around you say. Welcome Young & Hayes then...
... Don't like losing. Four times losing in a row now. Well guess what, 'no change' for you...

bornadog
02-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Well in fairness who in the VFL squad has any genuine claims based on the outing against Willy?

Unchanged or not every one not named Caleb really just needs to lift.

15 AFL listed players had the opportunity to show something and they fluffed it

Rocket Science
02-05-2019, 07:51 PM

Yep, this is the concerning thing after last year's final month.

Must've been a mirage.

The Underdog
02-05-2019, 08:22 PM
LMAO. No change.

(grabs popcorn...)

Remi Moses
02-05-2019, 08:28 PM
I think Patrick Lipinski must be shaking his head

ratsmac
02-05-2019, 08:32 PM
No change, wow.

Bullies
02-05-2019, 08:45 PM
I think Patrick Lipinski must be shaking his head He is not the only one shaking his head. That is a disgrace.

How does he keep Gowers in the team. I would prefer to play one short.

comrade
02-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Ha, when everyone expects the zig, Bevo brings the zag.

Doc26
02-05-2019, 08:54 PM
I do feel that Gowers, Dunkley and Dickson we’re fortunate to hold their places this week.

Last week should’ve been their final week to prove their worth but neither lifted to the occasion.

Although our guys pressing at VFL level didn’t showcase their value to be promoted last week it is more prudent for Lipinski and possibly Roberts to replace those that have been consistently sub par this season.

We should not be so accepting of such consistent mediocrity from those privileged to be selected by in the primary 22.

Hopefully all of Gowers, Dunkley and Dickson back their coach in this week who has been more than patient with them.

FrediKanoute
02-05-2019, 09:50 PM
Question is will a journalist have the balls to ask the question: "So Luke, coming off 4 losses in a row after a promising start, with kicking for goal being prety awful, what was the thinking behind the decision to go in with an unchanged side?"

Go_Dogs
02-05-2019, 10:25 PM
Question is will a journalist have the balls to ask the question: "So Luke, coming off 4 losses in a row after a promising start, with kicking for goal being prety awful, what was the thinking behind the decision to go in with an unchanged side?"

Devils advocate:

We won 2 on the trot. We had one bad game and have been competitive. We aren't far off. The team that went to Perth hated 15 minutes of their game and want to redeem. Great experience and opportunity to do it against the best side in the competition. We nearly knocked Richmond off on their turf with a more inexperienced team 6 months ago. We can win this.

Hotdog60
02-05-2019, 10:37 PM
Who's not to say that Bevo hasn't read the riot act on a few players to lift their game or they'll be out next week.
It might be a last chance scenario to see if they will lift.

kruder
02-05-2019, 10:47 PM

Yeah I understand but to bring him into play forward does not make sense. We need him to become a backman, we have played him there for the majority let's continue to develop him there. It would allow Naughton to stay forward and we have Schache and Boyd to play the second forward role already why try another?

Look at what we have done for Crozier. He has been played exclusively as a defender it's amazing how continuity can drive belief the kid has turned into Wood 2.0. Let's not confuse anymore of our players just to be different. I think if we become more predictable to each other the connection through the lines will improve dramatically.

Bevo has to change his ways a little and I really do believe this team can flourish. We have been overrun in the last quarters over the last few weeks and we are coming home from Perth, surely you would make a change or two? I understand that performances in the 2nds weren't great but we have lost 4 in a row in the seniors. I really do believe Bevo is outsmarting himself atm, playing Hayes and Young in the team is another example of this. Why do we have to be so young? I really don't want to give up on this season yet but its on the edge atm. Richmond are gettable this week make no mistake, another loss and its going to become an unhappy place to work again that's for sure.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 10:50 PM

Don’t you mean 37 AFL players?

Danjul
02-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Yeah I understand but to bring him into play forward does not make sense. We need him to become a backman, we have played him there for the majority let's continue to develop him there. It would allow Naughton to stay forward and we have Schache and Boyd to play the second forward role already why try another?

Look at what we have done for Crozier. He has been played exclusively as a defender it's amazing how continuity can drive belief the kid has turned into Wood 2.0. Let's not confuse anymore of our players just to be different. I think if we become more predictable to each other the connection through the lines will improve dramatically.

Bevo has to change his ways a little and I really do believe this team can flourish. We have been overrun in the last quarters over the last few weeks and we are coming home from Perth, surely you would make a change or two? I understand that performances in the 2nds weren't great but we have lost 4 in a row in the seniors. I really do believe Bevo is outsmarting himself atm, playing Hayes and Young in the team is another example of this. Why do we have to be so young? I really don't want to give up on this season yet but its on the edge atm. Richmond are gettable this week make no mistake, another loss and its going to become an unhappy place to work again that's for sure.

I realise Crozier got votes from 15 people in the other thread but that has left me wondering if I saw the same game. I see that he gets an honourable mention here too.

His opponent kicked 5 goals and won the game for Freo. He is not a good defender because he loses his man.

While he goes for the spectacular mark over the pack his opponent stays at the back, as expected, and takes a chest mark- goals. Look at the replay.

A little later the ball spills from the pack, over his head to his opponent standing alone at the top of the goal square. Naturally he kicks another goal. Look at the replay.

Yes, 5 goals.

LostDoggy
03-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Who's not to say that Bevo hasn't read the riot act on a few players to lift their game or they'll be out next week.
It might be a last chance scenario to see if they will lift.

Reading the riot act won't miraculously make players kick it better. Bev is picking players without the ability to do what he wants.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-05-2019, 12:52 AM
It’s not surprising.

But it is astounding that Young keeps his spot. No disrespect to him, but HTF is he in the side?

Dickson is cooked - can’t see why we play him again. Maybe no recognised forwards at VFL helps given Greene is injured, Schache barely touched it and Boyd’s not ready. I’d still rather play Lippa or Schache regardless.

Gowers is Bevos pet - it’s poor form by Bevo and the MC to continually play Gowers given his woeful form, yet quickly drop Schache. Gowers defensive game is putrid and he can’t kick.

We will be obliterated by Richmond.

FrediKanoute
03-05-2019, 01:28 AM
I realise Crozier got votes from 15 people in the other thread but that has left me wondering if I saw the same game. I see that he gets an honourable mention here too.

His opponent kicked 5 goals and won the game for Freo. He is not a good defender because he loses his man.

While he goes for the spectacular mark over the pack his opponent stays at the back, as expected, and takes a chest mark- goals. Look at the replay.

A little later the ball spills from the pack, over his head to his opponent standing alone at the top of the goal square. Naturally he kicks another goal. Look at the replay.

Yes, 5 goals.

Given teams play a team defense, with very few guys taking a specific bloke for the whole game, isn't it more then case that Matera got off the leash. 3 o his 5 goals were cheapies and could just have easily been any other player in the forward half. Even with Matera's 5 goals, the game was lost because we kicked poorly and didn't take our chances. Freo kick 4 goals 1 behind in the last. We kicked 1 goal 7. 5 scoring shots to 8 and we were a goal down at 3/4 time.

Crozier's drive from half back was a key reason, along with Daniel's distribution that we entered 50 as often as we did. Yes Matera scored 5, but given we don't play shut down roles you can't pin it on Crosier alone.

Danjul
03-05-2019, 01:57 AM
Given teams play a team defense, with very few guys taking a specific bloke for the whole game, isn't it more then case that Matera got off the leash. 3 o his 5 goals were cheapies and could just have easily been any other player in the forward half. Even with Matera's 5 goals, the game was lost because we kicked poorly and didn't take our chances. Freo kick 4 goals 1 behind in the last. We kicked 1 goal 7. 5 scoring shots to 8 and we were a goal down at 3/4 time.

Crozier's drive from half back was a key reason, along with Daniel's distribution that we entered 50 as often as we did. Yes Matera scored 5, but given we don't play shut down roles you can't pin it on Crosier alone.

Daniel has had twice as many disposals as Crozier (almost) and he usually puts the ball in a teammateÂ’s hands. In my mind he is the most valuable player weÂ’ve got.

Crozier has dash and usually kicks the ball (which is good) but then he looks to see where it has gone ( not so good). Look at where the ball is heading 20 seconds after he kicks it.

The coaches should try to get him to reverse the sequence.

The way we are entering 50 is far more important than how often, and a big part of our lack of success.

Maybe we should also try some shut down on dangerous forwards, I think Matera got 4 goals the week before so he must have been on the coachesÂ’ radar. To allow him 5 more was poor football. Other teams are not generous to us.

Hotdog60
03-05-2019, 06:45 AM
Reading the riot act won't miraculously make players kick it better. Bev is picking players without the ability to do what he wants.

The trouble is, are the players not selected any better. No one from the VFL game put their hand up to say pick me on the weekend.

GVGjr
03-05-2019, 08:12 AM
Daniel has had twice as many disposals as Crozier (almost) and he usually puts the ball in a teammateÂ’s hands. In my mind he is the most valuable player weÂ’ve got.

Crozier has dash and usually kicks the ball (which is good) but then he looks to see where it has gone ( not so good). Look at where the ball is heading 20 seconds after he kicks it.

The coaches should try to get him to reverse the sequence.

The way we are entering 50 is far more important than how often, and a big part of our lack of success.

Maybe we should also try some shut down on dangerous forwards, I think Matera got 4 goals the week before so he must have been on the coachesÂ’ radar. To allow him 5 more was poor football. Other teams are not generous to us.

Good observations, while I think Crozier has been very good there are some things he should be working on.

Mofra
03-05-2019, 10:32 AM
But it is astounding that Young keeps his spot. No disrespect to him, but HTF is he in the side?

Dickson is cooked - can’t see why we play him again. Maybe no recognised forwards at VFL helps given Greene is injured, Schache barely touched it and Boyd’s not ready. I’d still rather play Lippa or Schache regardless.
Re forwards: Bailey Dale must be just below full match fitness. He's in for me when he's ready. Has those gadget arms and is a creative ball user.

Bullies
03-05-2019, 10:36 AM
It’s not surprising.

Gowers is Bevos pet - it’s poor form by Bevo and the MC to continually play Gowers given his woeful form, yet quickly drop Schache. Gowers defensive game is putrid and he can’t kick.

We will be obliterated by Richmond. Could not agree more. You would think we are 6 zip with no change.

Bullies
03-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Re forwards: Bailey Dale must be just below full match fitness. He's in for me when he's ready. Has those gadget arms and is a creative ball user. If Bailey Dale is a creative ball user he has no hope of getting a game. You need to be able to butcher the ball.

Bullies
03-05-2019, 10:39 AM
The trouble is, are the players not selected any better. No one from the VFL game put their hand up to say pick me on the weekend. The VFL played at a windswept Willy which is a bit different to the conditions Gowers and Dickson have with the roof at Marvel. I'm sure Schache would have enjoyed a roof last weekend.

hujsh
03-05-2019, 11:14 AM
No doubt having any of Dale, Cavarra or Green match fit and in form would be handy. Unfortunately all are injured or just back from injury.

We do need to see Dale put in some good defensive work at Footscray before getting a senior gig though. Wasn’t exactly a strong point before injury.

Danjul
03-05-2019, 11:24 AM
If Bailey Dale is a creative ball user he has no hope of getting a game. You need to be able to butcher the ball.

I think you are overlooking the fact that modern organisations are based on KPIs.

These are defined as:

A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a measurable value that demonstrates how effectively a company is achieving key business objectives. Organizations use KPIs to evaluate their success at reaching targets.

Thanks Google.

Clearly the team is meeting the key business objectives, otherwise we would have seen significant changes over the last 30 games. So all is good.

What you look for when you watch and analyse a game is old fashioned illusion stuff.

Team too short, team doesn’t kick enough, team can’t kick straight, team runs around in circles, team lacks experience.

These are football KPIs for our modern game.

westbulldog
03-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Continued poor performances by several must mean changes for Round 8.

bornadog
03-05-2019, 12:01 PM
The VFL played at a windswept Willy which is a bit different to the conditions Gowers and Dickson have with the roof at Marvel. I'm sure Schache would have enjoyed a roof last weekend.

VFL also on 6 day break.

Bevo is backing the current 22 to kick goals, which has been our biggest issue this season to date.

Hopefully Schache, Dale and Lippa can put pressure on in the coming weeks.

Danjul
03-05-2019, 02:31 PM
VFL also on 6 day break.

Bevo is backing the current 22 to kick goals, which has been our biggest issue this season to date.

Hopefully Schache, Dale and Lippa can put pressure on in the coming weeks.

For what it is worth, home and away games only

2010: 321 goals. 206 behinds
2011: 306. 179

2015: 310. 185
2016: 268. 195
2017: 260. 240
2018: 224. 190

Our ability to score has collapsed.

Last year was worse than 2014 when we finished 14th. (257. 187)

In 2015 the team kicked 18 or more goals 6 times.

In the 3+ seasons since then they have done it twice.

maybe this year shouldnÂ’t be a surprise.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Ha, when everyone expects the zig, Bevo brings the zag.

Bevo can be counterintuitive. In Bevo we trust.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Devils advocate:

We won 2 on the trot. We had one bad game and have been competitive. We aren't far off. The team that went to Perth hated 15 minutes of their game and want to redeem. Great experience and opportunity to do it against the best side in the competition. We nearly knocked Richmond off on their turf with a more inexperienced team 6 months ago. We can win this.

The irony in your post is that it is not the devils advocate rather it addresses the devils advocates on this forum who are freak out merchants.

Jeanette54
03-05-2019, 03:24 PM
I think you are overlooking the fact that modern organisations are based on KPIs.

These are defined as:

A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) is a measurable value that demonstrates how effectively a company is achieving key business objectives. Organizations use KPIs to evaluate their success at reaching targets.

I guess I am getting too old. There is only ONE performance indicator that counts: Winning !

Axe Man
03-05-2019, 03:43 PM
For what it is worth, home and away games only

2010: 321 goals. 206 behinds
2011: 306. 179

2015: 310. 185
2016: 268. 195
2017: 260. 240
2018: 224. 190

Our ability to score has collapsed.

Last year was worse than 2014 when we finished 14th. (257. 187)

In 2015 the team kicked 18 or more goals 6 times.

In the 3+ seasons since then they have done it twice.

maybe this year shouldnÂ’t be a surprise.

Although we clearly have an issue scoring I'm fairly sure scoring is down league wide so it's not all our own doing.

Axe Man
03-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Dogs keeping the faith: Bevo (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-03/dogs-keeping-the-faith-bevo)

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has defended his decision to name an unchanged line-up for Saturday night's clash with Richmond, despite his side's four-game losing run.

After two wins to start the season, the struggling Dogs have failed to kick more than nine goals in any of their four defeats, and must find a way to prevail against the Tigers at Marvel Stadium to get their campaign back on track.

"We weren't far away from beating Fremantle on their own deck (last week), so even though we're not winning we feel like the team isn't far away," Beveridge told reporters on Friday.

"(We) are definitely playing a stronger game for longer, there's no doubt about that. But we've had a couple of games that we've been pretty disappointed in the consistent output for four quarters.

"But we can't just turn it on its head or flip it over. The VFL team had a tough day at Williamstown last week, there were a couple of boys putting pressure on for spots prior to that and they will get their chance.

"If you're winning every week it would be nice to be picking unchanged sides week to week, but we need to reward that at some point.

"I think some of the lads in the AFL team are definitely feeling some pressure to play well."

The eighth-placed Tigers were forced into making two changes as they look to improve on their 4-2 record.

David Astbury (ankle) and Jack Riewoldt (knee) joined Trent Cotchin (hamstring), Alex Rance (knee), Jack Graham (hamstring) and Shaun Grigg (knee, hip) on the sidelines after last week's win over Melbourne.

The pair were replaced by Shai Bolton and Connor Menadue.

"They've got a similar configuration or composition in their team as we have ... they're not a tall side," Beveridge said.

"They've lost some experienced players, but it's been impressive to see the way some of their young guys have come in and performed.

"I think both teams height-wise won't be far apart, which is a bit different for us. So hopefully we can win some of those and take a couple of bites inside our 50 and be able to hit that scoreboard from those set shots."

Beveridge, who led the Bulldogs to the 2016 premiership in his second year in charge, will coach his 100th AFL match on Saturday night.

Danjul
03-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Although we clearly have an issue scoring I'm fairly sure scoring is down league wide so it's not all our own doing.

Look at 2011: 1.7 goals for each behind.
In 2015 it was 1.68 goals per behind

by 2017 it was down to 1.08

This year it’s 0.92

There has been a clear trajectory

Axe Man
03-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Look at 2011: 1.7 goals for each behind.
In 2015 it was 1.68 goals per behind

by 2017 it was down to 1.08

This year it’s 0.92

There has been a clear trajectory

Now you are talking goal kicking accuracy which we all know is a huge problem. Obviously linked to scoring but only one factor.

ratsmac
03-05-2019, 07:18 PM
A lot of our scoring accuracy has to do with our shallow forward entries. We seem to have a lot of shots at goal from 40+ which lowers the percentage. We hardly ever get a player running into open goal like what seems to happen to us frequently. When we do get deep in f50 the opposition has had plenty of time to press back and flood. I'm convinced our forwards don't know what our mids are doing and never know when and where to lead.

If there is a plan in place to fix our scoring woes I hope it all clicks pretty soon because our season is hanging by a thread.

Danjul
04-05-2019, 11:07 AM
A lot of our scoring accuracy has to do with our shallow forward entries. We seem to have a lot of shots at goal from 40+ which lowers the percentage. We hardly ever get a player running into open goal like what seems to happen to us frequently. When we do get deep in f50 the opposition has had plenty of time to press back and flood. I'm convinced our forwards don't know what our mids are doing and never know when and where to lead.

If there is a plan in place to fix our scoring woes I hope it all clicks pretty soon because our season is hanging by a thread.

There must be a plan by now. They have had years.

If not, anyone with half a brain could make one in ten minutes by reading observations reported in this and other threads.

angelopetraglia
04-05-2019, 11:24 AM
When was the last time anyone correctly predicted the ins and outs?

bulldogtragic
04-05-2019, 11:25 AM
When was the last time anyone correctly predicted the ins and outs?

Me. This week.

No Change

angelopetraglia
04-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Me. This week.

Ha ... was that serious or were you being sarcastic ...

bulldogtragic
04-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Ha ... was that serious or were you being sarcastic ...

Bit of both.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-05-2019, 01:42 PM

A lack of pace in the midfield is a big concern which creates slower movement into our forward line. This combined with poor disposal by foot adds to our woes.

Go_Dogs
04-05-2019, 07:46 PM
A lack of pace in the midfield is a big concern which creates slower movement into our forward line. This combined with poor disposal by foot adds to our woes.

Speed by foot is overrated.

Last night I went to the Pies v Port game. Collingwood hit the ball low and flat and fast. They have players who expect this. The ball pings across the park like a pin ball. Run helps, but it's not the be all and end all. Without good ball movement it becomes a non factor.

kruder
06-05-2019, 05:05 PM

Yes, 5 goals.

If you have issues with what Crozier has done since he has been a bulldog you're a mighty tough judge. His body of work has been excellent and an example on how continuity can drive belief. That was the point I was making it wasn't about one performance.