PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Rd 8, Vs Brisbane Lions

Scraggers
05-04-2019, 01:30 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 7 match against Richmond for our Round 8, 2019 match against Brisbane Lions on Mars?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
04-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
04-05-2019, 10:47 PM
Ins:

Schache/Boyd, Lippa (Suckling if fit)

Outs:

Gowers, Hayes (Young)

DOG GOD
04-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Ins:

Outs:

Gowers, Hayes (Young)

This

G-Mo77
04-05-2019, 11:09 PM
Lol. No change :p

comrade
04-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Lol. No change :p

The old Bevo zag.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Thought Young was very promising.

Dickson would be the only one I would drop. Give Gowers one more game. VFL performances to dictate who comes in for mine. Lipsinki or Dale the favourites.

bornadog
04-05-2019, 11:19 PM
Boyd far from ready

bulldogtragic
04-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Just a structural thing. Trengove locked down Lynch and Cordy was influential. Two KPDs worked well.
I wonder if that will inspire a thought that two KPFs would also help. Take a Dickson/Gowers out. Put a Boyd/Schache in and try to spread the defence by trying to cover Naughton and another aerial threat, hopefully we'll away from each other. And we need a KPF to miss marks and bring the ball to ground to bring in the little guys. But Naughton won't bloody drop them and be a team player, ball hog... :D

Bulldog4life
04-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Be interesting to see who plays well tomorrow and puts their hand up.

bulldogtragic
04-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Thought Young was very promising.

Dickson would be the only one I would drop. Give Gowers one more game. VFL performances to dictate who comes in for mine. Lipsinki or Dale the favourites.

Young was very good for a raw kid. I'd only look at him if Suckling is 100% to go, and not wanting to carry too many HBFs.

whythelongface
04-05-2019, 11:29 PM
Out Hayes
In Lipinski

The only other change maybe Dickson but that would depend on tomorrow’s game.

hujsh
04-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Boyd far from ready

Yeah still on managed minutes last week so give him time to build his tank and get some touch

MrMahatma
04-05-2019, 11:52 PM
Out: Gowers
In: Schache

GVGjr
04-05-2019, 11:52 PM
Out Dickson
In Lipinski

Schache under consideration

hujsh
05-05-2019, 12:05 AM
Willing to wait and see what comes of the VFL match first.

Dickson and Hayes and Young are the most at risk in their respective lines I think.

Bulldog4life
05-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Ins:

Outs:

Gowers, Hayes (Young)

Bevo said Boydy about two months away. Schache he said is ahead of Tom at the moment.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2019, 01:29 AM
Out:
Dickson. Loved him as a player but he’s done IMO.
Young isn’t ready.
Hayes isn’t up to the level.

In:
TBA but Lipinski and Dale are top of my list. Would like Lewis Young in the side too

BornInDroopSt'54
05-05-2019, 01:55 AM
Out: Dickson
In: Lipinski

The Adelaide Connection
05-05-2019, 02:22 AM
Gowers might be taking a week off for the reverse headbutt.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-05-2019, 08:04 AM
I unchanging unless someone has a blinder. Dickson will be the only one on the chopping block

merantau
05-05-2019, 09:06 AM
At the presser Bevo was indicating Tom Boyd is months, not weeks, away. Said we had to get a lot of football into him because he's missed so much of it and training.
I think Dicko and Hayes will be under a bit of pressure. Gowers is mowing Bevo's lawns, if you ask me. Bevo said that Billy negated the influence of Grimes. He did kick two and set one up. That and his lawn mowing will keep him safe.

Go_Dogs
05-05-2019, 09:11 AM

Not much in it, but will be looked at.

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Suckling believes he will be ready next week.

azabob
05-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Where did you hear this? I am a huge wrap for Suckling and can't wait to see him back in.

bornadog
05-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Ready from Brisbane?

Where did you hear this? I am a huge wrap for Suckling and can't wait to see him back in.

If he is ready, Out Young in Suckling

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 10:36 AM

He was interviewed in the Player Sponsors area, he completed a big session Saturday morning and said he'd be right for next week. Not sure if that means the seniors or Footscray but he's not far away from a return

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Ready from Brisbane?

As per my previous post, I'm not sure if that means he is coming straight back in or after a week at Footscray

Mofra
05-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Post match presser Bevo praised Gowers for keeping Grimes occupied and said Boyd is two months away. Also mentioned he wasn't happy with how teams leave our F50 under little pressure.

Leftfield suggestion (until I see the VFL game anyway) - Roarke Smith for Dickson, plays defensive forward on Rich. Seems that is what he's being groomed for. He's quite good in the air for his size and the MC clearly rate him based on his selection in past years.

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Post match presser Bevo praised Gowers for keeping Grimes occupied and said Boyd is two months away. Also mentioned he wasn't happy with how teams leave our F50 under little pressure.

Leftfield suggestion (until I see the VFL game anyway) - Roarke Smith for Dickson, plays defensive forward on Rich. Seems that is what he's being groomed for. He's quite good in the air for his size and the MC clearly rate him based on his selection in past years.

I like the suggestion, Smith must be close to a call-up and can perform that role

Go_Dogs
05-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Worth a try, good suggestion.

comrade
05-05-2019, 12:56 PM
IN: Schache, Lipinski (pending decent performances today)
OUT: Dickson, Gowers

Gowers won’t happen, but the good isn’t outweighing the bad at the moment. I’d like to see Dale or Williams also put their hands up and put pressure on Hayes, but I think Bevo is digging his heels in on this one and it’ll take a lot to squeeze Hayes out.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-05-2019, 02:25 PM
IN: Schache, Lipinski (pending decent performances today)
OUT: Dickson, Gowers

Gowers won’t happen, but the good isn’t outweighing the bad at the moment. I’d like to see Dale or Williams also put their hands up and put pressure on Hayes, but I think Bevo is digging his heels in on this one and it’ll take a lot to squeeze Hayes out.

We were fortunate to have so many good players against the injury riddled Richmond that the poor form of Dickson Gowers and Hayes wasn’t quite as obvious. Lipinski Dale and Webb hopefully will play well today for Footscray to increase our senior depth selection

Bulldog4life
05-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Would be surprised. A fine I would think.

Bulldog Revolution
05-05-2019, 02:48 PM
In: Williams
Out: Hayes

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 03:09 PM
In: Lipinski, Schache

Out: Gowers, Hayes

I want to get Williams into the side but Young was pretty decent and deserves to hold his place. I really believe he'd play Hayes' role to a far better standard than Hayes can but seems to be against his developmental curve. I'm not as high on Lipinski but he deserves his chance.

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2019, 07:51 PM
In: Suckling Lipinski
Out: Hayes (Suckling brings so much more if fit), Sam Lloyd (Needs a message that the unnecessary snap could have cost the game)

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2019, 07:52 PM
I like the suggestion of Roarke Smith to play defensive forward on Daniel Rich.

KT31
05-05-2019, 08:02 PM
Out: Dickson, Gowers (IMO he will get a week as a lot has been made of his alleged head butt), Hayes
In : Lipinsk, Schache, Suckling

bornadog
05-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Following on from today's VFL

In Williams, Lippa

Out: Dickson, Hayes

If Suckling is ready then Young comes out

G-Mo77
06-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Out: Dickson, Gowers (IMO he will get a week as a lot has been made of his alleged head butt), Hayes
In : Lipinsk, Schache, Suckling

It's a guarantee he'll get 1 - 2. Any other team it wouldn't be looked at, or if the roles were reversed, Grimes was being wrestled and threw his head back Gowers would be rubbed out for wrestling.

Mantis
06-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Do we look at giving English a week off?

Tim is carrying a big load and with Martin being more of a mobile threat perhaps we give Trengove first crack and bring in Lewis Young to play as the 2nd ruck/ tall defender?

BornInDroopSt'54
06-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Tim is carrying a big load and with Martin being more of a mobile threat perhaps we give Trengove first crack and bring in Lewis Young to play as the 2nd ruck/ tall defender?
Good suggestions but I'm hoping English has a breakout game soon where he clunks plenty and kicks a few.

Doc26
06-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Tim’s just as likely to be a forced out given the cork to his right leg.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 05:15 PM
Tim’s just as likely to be a forced out given the cork to his right leg.

That's all we need.

Crucial game this week

NoseBleed
06-05-2019, 05:42 PM
"Billy Gowers will also be available for that clash, despite the Western Bulldogs forward being hit with a $1000 misconduct fine for a headbutt to Richmond defender Dylan Grimes."

G-Mo77
06-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Can't believe it. Maybe things are starting to go our way again. :cool:

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 06:20 PM
"Billy Gowers will also be available for that clash, despite the Western Bulldogs forward being hit with a $1000 misconduct fine for a headbutt to Richmond defender Dylan Grimes."
Lucky man Billy. Thought it would be a week.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Lucky man Billy. Thought it would be a week.

Grimes should have got the fine not Billy

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Grimes should have got the fine not Billy

Really? I thought our man Bill had Grimes arm locked in and was feigning for the free? Grimes did start the head contact though that is true.

GVGjr
06-05-2019, 07:27 PM

It's a fair question Mantis but I can't see us managing the workload of English unless he has some niggles. Schache, Boyd when available and Lewis Young might assist managing that workload but giving Trengove a full game in the ruck as you suggest might be in order

bornadog
06-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Really? I thought our man Bill had Grimes arm locked in and was feigning for the free? Grimes did start the head contact though that is true.

You need to have another look. Billy can't get his arm out because it is pinned under him. It happened not far from where I was sitting so I had a good look, Grimes just wouldn't let go. The ball was up the other end and Billy was trying to get up and yelling at the umpire to get him off, but the umpire did nothing.

chef
07-05-2019, 06:18 AM

One had hold of the arm and the other the leg. It was 50/50

Grantysghost
07-05-2019, 10:00 AM
You need to have another look. Billy can't get his arm out because it is pinned under him. It happened not far from where I was sitting so I had a good look, Grimes just wouldn't let go. The ball was up the other end and Billy was trying to get up and yelling at the umpire to get him off, but the umpire did nothing.

Ah right cheers I'll look again.

bornadog
07-05-2019, 10:13 AM
One had hold of the arm and the other the leg. It was 50/50

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125365806596911104

1eyedog
07-05-2019, 10:26 AM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1125365806596911104

It would have been a simple thing for Grimes to pull his arm out.

Ozza
07-05-2019, 03:15 PM
If all came through the game fit and well,

Out Hayes; Young
In: Lipinski; Suckling

Lippa going well, covers huge amount of ground and more upside than Hayes.
Suckling obviously comes straight in if fit, and Young is the one to make way.

DOG GOD
07-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Out- Hayes
In- suckling

Scraggers
07-05-2019, 04:08 PM
If all came through the game fit and well,

Out Hayes; Young
In: Lipinski; Suckling

Lippa going well, covers huge amount of ground and more upside than Hayes.
Suckling obviously comes straight in if fit, and Young is the one to make way.

Yep ... this for me too !!

Bullies
08-05-2019, 03:19 AM
Out: Gowers and Dickson

In: Lipper and Dale

Ozza
08-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Out: Gowers and Dickson

In: Lipper and Dale

Interest in your thoughts on why we'd drop two forwards, for 2 wingmen/sometimes forwards?

Not meaning to direct this at you - but broadly speaking, week after week we bemoan not being able to kick goals - and then the match committee thread is full of posts suggesting Dickson, Gowers or Lloyd are dropped - with 'Naughton to be moved to defence' peppered in.

We kicked 76 goals this season - and the four players mentioned have kicked 39 of them (or 51%).

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Interest in your thoughts on why we'd drop two forwards, for 2 wingmen/sometimes forwards?

Not meaning to direct this at you - but broadly speaking, week after week we bemoan not being able to kick goals - and then the match committee thread is full of posts suggesting Dickson, Gowers or Lloyd are dropped - with 'Naughton to be moved to defence' peppered in.

We kicked 76 goals this season - and the four players mentioned have kicked 39 of them (or 51%).

Based on their recent form a better option might be for Lipper to replace Dickson which brings more pace into the team and Dale to replace Hayes. Would prefer to play Lew Young or Schache in place of Gowers but hard to see the MC making 3 changes after the impressive win against the under manned Tigers.

Axe Man
08-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Based on their recent form a better option might be for Lipper to replace Dickson which brings more pace into the team and Dale to replace Hayes. Would prefer to play Lew Young or Schache in place of Gowers but hard to see the MC making 3 changes after the impressive win against the under manned Tigers.

Dickson may not be as quick as he once was but he's not slow and I've never thought of Lipinski as being overly quick. Can't see that swap bringing any more pace to the team.

Ozza
08-05-2019, 01:25 PM
Dickson may not be as quick as he once was but he's not slow and I've never thought of Lipinski as being overly quick. Can't see that swap bringing any more pace to the team.

Completely different types of players. Depending on his opponent, Dickson can take them deep and win a one on one like how he played v Hawthorn (where he was even able to outpoint Stratton in one-on-ones, which Stringer alwasy struggled to do) - but his role against the Tigers seemed to have him clearing out of the 50 and playing higher up.

Lipinski is best suited to a wing or high half forward as a linking player. He covers more ground than anyone on our team, or at least equal to Hunter and Dunkley - he is an accumulater rather than a burst/power player like Dicko. To me, he is a classier version of Hayes with more upside.

bornadog
08-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Gowers won't be dropped as long as he is kicking goals. Heading for over 30 goals this season.

Bulldog4life
08-05-2019, 02:55 PM
A definite in surely must be Suckling. I see he is not in everyone's ins. The one on shaky ground you would think is Hayes. Interesting to see the changes.

mjp
08-05-2019, 03:03 PM
Gowers won't be dropped as long as he is kicking goals. Heading for over 30 goals this season.

I wish I could look at our selections with such a 'black and white' view.

Whilst I was completely surprised, I did raise my eye brows at 'no changes' after the Freo game (even though - as I said here, I thought we had played well). This week though, when sentiment is there will be little or no change, I am thinking there might be 3-4 outs...

That's just the way this MC roll. It's OK. It's all part of the adventure!

The Pie Man
08-05-2019, 03:05 PM
A definite in surely must be Suckling. I see he is not in everyone's ins. The one on shaky ground you would think is Hayes. Interesting to see the changes.

Maybe Libba needs a rest

Agree Suckling plays if fit.

bornadog
08-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Following on from today's VFL

In Williams, Lippa

Out: Dickson, Hayes

If Suckling is ready then Young comes out

I wish I could look at our selections with such a 'black and white' view.

Whilst I was completely surprised, I did raise my eye brows at 'no changes' after the Freo game (even though - as I said here, I thought we had played well). This week though, when sentiment is there will be little or no change, I am thinking there might be 3-4 outs...

That's just the way this MC roll. It's OK. It's all part of the adventure!

I will stick with my changes above.

hujsh
08-05-2019, 03:34 PM
I'll go:
Young for Suckling
Lippa for Hayes
West for Dickson? Not totally sold on the last one but may be a good move.

1eyedog
08-05-2019, 03:51 PM
I'm tempted to play Schache to take their second best defender to help Naughton.Schache is capable and may benefit as well.

hujsh
08-05-2019, 03:53 PM
I'm tempted to play Schache to take their second best defender to help Naughton.Schache is capable and may benefit as well.

Schache for Dickson potentially then?

Happy Days
08-05-2019, 04:06 PM

I'd bring in Josh anyway, but I think there's some merit to this. Walker is having a pretty great year as an intercept defender, but as long as Andrews isn't in the side then he'd be forced to play a more defensive role if there's someone who it's worth his while to defend.

Bulldog Joe
08-05-2019, 04:22 PM
I'd bring in Josh anyway, but I think there's some merit to this. Walker is having a pretty great year as an intercept defender, but as long as Andrews isn't in the side then he'd be forced to play a more defensive role if there's someone who it's worth his while to defend.

On VFL reports I would think Lewis Young more likely than Schache and it seems he is doing well as the relief ruckman.

MC doesn't seem to rate the VFL form anyway.

Axe Man
08-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Andrews to return this week unfortunately. Brisbane's entire injury list is the perpetually injured Marcus Adams 7 weeks and Brandon Starcevich 3 weeks.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Andrews to return this week unfortunately. Brisbane's entire injury list is the perpetually injured Marcus Adams 7 weeks and Brandon Starcevich 3 weeks.
Brissie have been very lucky with lack of injuries. It would terrible for them if their luck changes on Saturday.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2019, 05:26 PM
Brissie have been very lucky with lack of injuries. It would terrible for them if their luck changes on Saturday.

Just awful. I don't know if I could cope. So fingers crossed.

Rocket Science
08-05-2019, 06:49 PM
Am quietly LIVID we're going to be deprived of the crucial Schache vs the Spec matchup.

bornadog
09-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Press Conference:

LB: The win was validation that if we play consistent four quarters that we can look pretty good. It confirms the player's belief in themselves and that's a good thing, but it also re-enforces the need to be on for longer periods.

LB: Brisbane will come down here with a head of steam and a bit of confidence, we're aware of that and we'll need to have our

LB: We're more than capable (in the midfield), our mids have learnt in recent times how even we need to be through there and we've had enough spread of contributors without winning enough games yet.

LB: Aaron's a 19-year-old who has played a couple of really promising games as a key forward and others he has battled away. The more we can play in the fashion we did on the weekend, the better chance we are going to give him.

LB: We look forward it to going to Ballarat & we'd like to think we can play better than we have in recent times and give one of our best performances, which we haven't really done yet.

LB: Matt (Suckling) will come in. He's pretty right, our return to play program always prepares our players pretty well. He's just got to train today & pretty sure he'll be fine.

Mantis
09-05-2019, 11:45 AM
LB: Matt (Suckling) will come in. He's pretty right, our return to play program always prepares our players pretty well. He's just got to train today & pretty sure he'll be fine.

Only pretty well?

Hear I was thinking our conservative approach to injury management ensured all the boxes were ticked and players returned in A1 shape.

AshMac
09-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Bit of a conundrum for Bevo w Suckling, don’t think anyone deserves to lose thier spot. Will sure be Lauchie Young though really liked his game on Saturday.

Remi Moses
09-05-2019, 07:37 PM
In Suckling
Out Dickson
Not shocked , Dickson’s lost a yard or two and he’s kicking isn’t what it was

The Adelaide Connection
09-05-2019, 08:11 PM
In Suckling
Out Dickson
Not shocked , Dickson’s lost a yard or two and he’s kicking isn’t what it was

Do you think we will try Suckling at half forward again or spin the magnets? Not exactly a like for like.

bornadog
09-05-2019, 10:18 PM
Do you think we will try Suckling at half forward again or spin the magnets? Not exactly a like for like.

I think he will play HFF. I almost put him down for first goal.

1eyedog
09-05-2019, 11:24 PM
He can play anywhere. We're stronger with him in and Dicko out. Young's been aggressive and Hayes neat so happy to give them an extended crack at it.

AshMac
10-05-2019, 09:12 AM
He can play anywhere. We're stronger with him in and Dicko out. Young's been aggressive and Hayes neat so happy to give them an extended crack at it.

Aggressive is a good word for it. For me that’s the difference between the Young’s

That and we gave one of them the no. 2

comrade
10-05-2019, 09:21 AM
Two weeks in a row I understand and agree with the match committee changes.

What is this, the Twilight Zone?

1eyedog
10-05-2019, 10:23 AM
I think he will play HFF. I almost put him down for first goal.

Didn't he kick a bag in his first year with us in Queensland against the Suns or Lions in a come from behind preseason win?

Mantis
10-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Didn't he kick a bag in his first year with us in Queensland against the Suns or Lions in a come from behind preseason win?

He kicked 4 (at least 3 outside 50 = supergoals) in a game that GC checked out of at 1/2 time.

bornadog
10-05-2019, 11:53 AM
He kicked 4 (at least 3 outside 50 = supergoals) in a game that GC checked out of at 1/2 time.

Kicked a ripper Goal at Ballarat from the 50m arc on the left boundary.

Happy Days
10-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Up until Bont hit Bill Gowers in the floating rib from 75m away earlier this year that was the best kick I had ever seen.

GVGjr
10-05-2019, 12:56 PM

That was one of the best goals I have seen kicked.

westdog54
10-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Up until Bont hit Bill Gowers in the floating rib from 75m away earlier this year that was the best kick I had ever seen.

That was one of the best goals I have seen kicked.

https://youtu.be/JX3SYZAillw

Can't disagree with either statement.

That. Is. Special.

macca
11-05-2019, 03:40 AM
https://youtu.be/JX3SYZAillw

Can't disagree with either statement.

That. Is. Special.
That’s on my wish list for this week! Another from the boundary goal by anyone

Ghost Dog
11-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Wow. Started at an angle as well. Not sure if it was exactly two steps commentator but it was a very short run up.