PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 11, Vs West Coast Eagles

Scraggers
05-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 10 match against North Melbourne for our Round 11, 2019 match against Wast Coast Eagles at Perth Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
25-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
25-05-2019, 05:58 PM
We need a second tall target:

In: Schache
Out: Richards, seems a little out of sorts today

comrade
25-05-2019, 05:59 PM
OUT: Richards, Trengove
IN: LaYoung, LeYoung

Would love for Schache to knock on the door with a big game but not holding my breath.

bornadog
25-05-2019, 05:59 PM
We need a second tall target:

In: Schache
Out: Richards, seems a little out of sorts today

you can add Dale - not an AFL player

comrade
25-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Harsh. If Hayes got a good run at it, Dale deserves at least one more chance.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2019, 06:16 PM

He gets the Gowers & Hayes selection treatment as a matter of fairness. If he doesn't comment his spot in the side after another four games, he gets traded (currently uncontracted).

Bulldog4life
25-05-2019, 06:17 PM
He gets the Gowers & Hayes selection treatment as a matter of fairness. If he doesn't comment his spot in the side after another four games, he gets traded (currently uncontracted).

He has to show a bit more hardness though BT. The same can't be said of Gowers and Hayes.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2019, 06:19 PM
He has to show a bit more hardness though BT. The same can't be said of Gowers and Hayes.

Whilst I don't disagree, its first first game in about 12 months at this level I think. I'll cut him some slack this week along with Lippa.

bornadog
25-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Whilst I don't disagree, its first first game in about 12 months at this level I think. I'll cut him some slack this week along with Lippa.

I have never rated him, and today just justified it. I was prepared to give him a go, but his lack of hardness is letting him down.

GVGjr
25-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Perhaps in Lynch, out Richards
I'd like to try either Schache or Lewis Young but I need to have a closer look

westbulldog
25-05-2019, 06:54 PM
In Schache (Westcoast are a bit short down back, missing Barass).

Out Dale, needs a wake up call or a trade.

bornadog
25-05-2019, 07:21 PM
Perhaps in Lynch, out Richards
I'd like to try either Schache or Lewis Young but I need to have a closer look

Lew Young should have played today. When Englissh was beaten in the ruck, Trengove could have gone there, and Lew Young in the backline. Instead we were forced to put Cordy there, which left us one short .

Bulldog4life
25-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Lew Young should have played today. When Englissh was beaten in the ruck, Trengove could have gone there, and Lew Young in the backline. Instead we were forced to put Cordy there, which left us one short .

Actually Cordy did ok in the ruck although Goldstein still beat him around the ground.

Mantis
25-05-2019, 07:37 PM
I have never rated him, and today just justified it. I was prepared to give him a go, but his lack of hardness is letting him down.

It was his first AFL game in 12 months and whilst his performance wasn't a good one he needs to be given another 3-4 weeks to show his worth.. if we're having the same discussions then, he will have to be replaced and also looking for a club in 2020.

GVGjr
25-05-2019, 08:09 PM
It was his first AFL game in 12 months and whilst his performance wasn't a good one he needs to be given another 3-4 weeks to show his worth.. if we're having the same discussions then, he will have to be replaced and also looking for a club in 2020.

We have to find out if some of these guys still need to be on the list going forward so yes, they need to be given 3 weeks to either highlight their talents or confirm their deficiencies. Dale has to show if he has what it takes

Go_Dogs
25-05-2019, 08:10 PM
In: Lewis Young

Out: Ed Richards

Bulldog4life
25-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Ed played one of his worse games. Recently he has developed the fumbles.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-05-2019, 08:33 PM

He also torched Hunter who was by himself 10 metres out from goal to take the banana from hard in the pocket.... I know he kicked a couple of those recently, but on those occasions he did not have an open team mate in a much better position.
I love Ed, but he needs to sharpen up.

Danjul
25-05-2019, 08:51 PM
OUT: Richards, Trengove
IN: LaYoung, LeYoung

Would love for Schache to knock on the door with a big game but not holding my breath.

Fullback seems to be a ticket out of the team.
Nobody will agree to play fullback if you drop Trengove.

Can’t blame Roberts and Trengove for the fact that the opposition has kicked 40 goals against us in the last 200 minutes.

bornadog
25-05-2019, 10:00 PM

I have seen him play his career to date, and he won't make it. You can add Webb in there as well.

We need another clean up at year end.

Mantis
25-05-2019, 10:30 PM
I have seen him play his career to date, and he won't make it. You can add Webb in there as well.

We need another clean up at year end.

Which means I've been watching him with my eye's closed?

He has AFL player traits, and one's in which are in short supply in our team, but his hardness needs to improve, and improve quickly.

I'm not ready to make a call on him yet, but he probably has 13 more games to show his worth... the ball is in his court.

Ozza
25-05-2019, 10:31 PM
I won't bother predicting changes. I'm sure we will look at this week's oppositions strengths and weaknesses....and then completely ignore that and go ahead and pick an unsuitable team.

I hear what people are saying about giving Bailey Dale a bit of a run at it, 3-4 games worth. In many respects I agree...but we know he isn't getting a kick this week in Perth. I'll die of shock if he plays a good game there.

I'm sure we will have Wood or Crozier (if fit) trying to defend Darling or Oscar Allen and just ignore that they are 10-12 cms shorter and give those guys a handful of goals each.

Mantis
25-05-2019, 10:34 PM
I won't bother predicting changes. I'm sure we will look at this week's oppositions strengths and weaknesses....and then completely ignore that and go ahead and pick an unsuitable team.

I hear what people are saying about giving Bailey Dale a bit of a run at it, 3-4 games worth. In many respects I agree...but we know he isn't getting a kick this week in Perth. I'll die of shock if he plays a good game there.

I'm sure we will have Wood or Crozier (if fit) trying to defend Darling or Oscar Allen and just ignore that they are 10-12 cms shorter and give those guys a handful of goals each.

The sarcasm is strong with this one... welcome to the dark side!

Ozza
25-05-2019, 10:39 PM
The sarcasm is strong with this one... welcome to the dark side!

F$%* me Mantis....today was a bad one. And so easily avoided....but so predictable. To watch it unfold in front of us. We might be tanking!!!

Mantis
25-05-2019, 10:42 PM
F$%* me Mantis....today was a bad one. And so easily avoided....but so predictable. To watch it unfold in front of us. We might be tanking!!!

We are the most versatile team running around!

Picking a well structured team and putting players in positions where they will be of most value is so over-rated.

Danjul
26-05-2019, 11:38 AM
The last 30 games have shown what works and what doesn’t. The recent team selections appear to be more a vanity exercise than a genuine attempt to win. It is time to get serious about salvaging some pride in what is left of the season.

Can we please have 2 genuine tall forwards who play away for each other. Can we please have 2 genuine tall backmen who can coordinate their efforts. Can we have 2 genuine ruckmen so if one is getting smashed we do not have to accept that their opponent automatically becomes best on ground.

Can we please tell the rest of the team to kick the ball. Long and low and quickly seems to get the best results.

Against North, the main topic of conversation where I was sitting was how short the Dogs were kicking. Not much further than the (excessive) handballs.

Mofra
26-05-2019, 11:41 AM

6 disposals, no marks apparently. Can't promote him on that VFL form.

I'd say Schache comes in for Richards and we roll the dice with English in the ruck again. Otherwise English plays forward but who rucks?

We definitely need to tall forwards against West Coast, McGivern will kill us with his intercept marking if we play only one tall forward.

lemmon
26-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Who plays on Kennedy? He's too quick on the lead for Trengrove and I don't think you can bring Roberts straight back in having dropped him.

He could have a big one this week...

Danjul
26-05-2019, 12:07 PM
6 disposals, no marks apparently. Can't promote him on that VFL form.

I'd say Schache comes in for Richards and we roll the dice with English in the ruck again. Otherwise English plays forward but who rucks?

We definitely need to tall forwards against West Coast, McGivern will kill us with his intercept marking if we play only one tall forward.

Playing all over the ground, Lewis Young enjoyed a solid performance, booting one goal and getting the upper hand on 30 hit outs, - from the Dogs website.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2019, 12:24 PM
If we get close, its only going to make me more shitty about The North game.
Things I read That make sense.
Sedat mentioned English out of ruck and getting involved otherwise. Worth a try. Moves well for a big man and rather have Trengrove wearing them down, if not winning. Agree , Bont to stay mid, need his kicking skills there.
Eagles v Crows - Sheed (31), Gaff (33 ), Yeo (28) and Luke Shuey (30+). Very good midfield and doubt we are a chance without Bont in there.

DOG GOD
26-05-2019, 01:28 PM
It won’t matter what we do. Their mids will destroy us and Kennedy/darling will kick more than our team total.

Bulldog4life
26-05-2019, 01:47 PM
The last 30 games have shown what works and what doesn’t. The recent team selections appear to be more a vanity exercise than a genuine attempt to win. It is time to get serious about salvaging some pride in what is left of the season.

Can we please have 2 genuine tall forwards who play away for each other. Can we please have 2 genuine tall backmen who can coordinate their efforts. Can we have 2 genuine ruckmen so if one is getting smashed we do not have to accept that their opponent automatically becomes best on ground.

Can we please tell the rest of the team to kick the ball. Long and low and quickly seems to get the best results.

Against North, the main topic of conversation where I was sitting was how short the Dogs were kicking. Not much further than the (excessive) handballs.

And a number of them went backwards.

RoZDog
26-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Richards Out - complete loss of confidence handling the pill.

Gowers In - deservedly dropped but we probably need him for balance.

Ins vs NM get a fair chance in seniors (concerns over Dale long term)

Danjul
26-05-2019, 03:27 PM
I can remember seeing Lewis Young play his first AFL game for us and thinking we had a star in the making.

21 possessions and 9 marks, And now 2 years later he cannot get a game. Can someone please explain.

GVGjr
26-05-2019, 03:35 PM
I can remember seeing Lewis Young play his first AFL game for us and thinking we had a star in the making.

21 possessions and 9 marks, And now 2 years later he cannot get a game. Can someone please explain.

It probably comes down to development.

A lot of young players take a few seasons to really adjust and being 197cm and on the lean side he was probably behind just in his physical development. He's also playing a different role by spending time in the ruck
I think we just need to be patient with him but I agree it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't quite come on like we hoped

Danjul
26-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Who plays on Kennedy? He's too quick on the lead for Trengrove and I don't think you can bring Roberts straight back in having dropped him.

He could have a big one this week...

It probably comes down to development.

A lot of young players take a few seasons to really adjust and being 197cm and on the lean side he was probably behind just in his physical development. He's also playing a different role by spending time in the ruck
I think we just need to be patient with him but I agree it's a bit disappointing that he hasn't quite come on like we hoped

Two others I see going backwards are Cordy (drop in possessions and completely lost offensive game) and Gowers (who regularly got
Significantly more possessions and had an impact). Add Schache to the list ( possession count way down). What is it about the game plan that has development players going backwards?

bornadog
26-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Two others I see going backwards are Cordy (drop in possessions and completely lost offensive game) and Gowers (who regularly got
Significantly more possessions and had an impact). Add Schache to the list ( possession count way down). What is it about the game plan that has development players going backwards?

It's not all about the stats. Tall Backman don't need stats, they need to spoil and make sure their opponent doesn't get it. Look at Morris.

hujsh
26-05-2019, 04:05 PM

Nuh uh. Cordy has absolutely not gone backwards. The guy plays good football, has gotten better defensively and actually competes week to week. I could care less if he averages 2 less disposals a game I'd rather someone else get the ball frankly.

Danjul
26-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Nuh uh. Cordy has absolutely not gone backwards. The guy plays good football, has gotten better defensively and actually competes week to week. I could care less if he averages 2 less disposals a game I'd rather someone else get the ball frankly.

Cordy hasn’t run with the ball this year. Yesterday had only 5 kicks and I cannot remember any of them setting up a forward move. Many of his defensive moves are when he arrives late and tries to spoil. I like his attitude but there was a time when he contributed more.

In other teams the equivalent player carves up forward lines and gets things happening. Lately he is not averaging 10 possessions. It is probably because he is being given the wrong role.

Danjul
26-05-2019, 05:10 PM
It's not all about the stats. Tall Backman don't need stats, they need to spoil and make sure their opponent doesn't get it. Look at Morris.

A. Cordy is not a genuine tall. He is less than an inch taller than Macrae. And he should be running around like Macrae.

B. I have seen Cordy spoil and I have seen his opponents get plenty of the ball.

With only a defensive side he is not contributing enough. I’m sure it’s not his fault, it’s the game plan. And the comment could easily apply to others.

jeemak
26-05-2019, 05:43 PM
A. Cordy is not a genuine tall. He is less than an inch taller than Macrae. And he should be running around like Macrae.

B. I have seen Cordy spoil and I have seen his opponents get plenty of the ball.

With only a defensive side he is not contributing enough. I’m sure it’s not his fault, it’s the game plan. And the comment could easily apply to others.

Not sure how much the heights on the Dogs web page can be trusted, but Cordy is listed at 193cm and that's fine for playing the second and third tall defender role (I wouldn't be surprised if he was taller). Our issue is a lack of support affecting our flexibility, which means if Cordy is having a bit of a tough day we are limited with what we can do with him, plus, it also makes it more likely for him to play negatively and less creatively.

I think the season is cooked and we should be ready to admit that. If we can't cope with pressure from the likes of GCS, Carlton and North Melbourne who all played out of their skins defencively against us then we won't cope with anything at the pointy end of the season. With this in mind I think we need to bite the bullet and pump significant game time into Lewis Young to see if he can get some confidence at the highest level and develop his game. We can't continue with this severe lack of flexibility in defence.

Danjul
26-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Not sure how much the heights on the Dogs web page can be trusted, but Cordy is listed at 193cm and that's fine for playing the second and third tall defender role (I wouldn't be surprised if he was taller). Our issue is a lack of support affecting our flexibility, which means if Cordy is having a bit of a tough day we are limited with what we can do with him, plus, it also makes it more likely for him to play negatively and less creatively.

I think the season is cooked and we should be ready to admit that. If we can't cope with pressure from the likes of GCS, Carlton and North Melbourne who all played out of their skins defencively against us then we won't cope with anything at the pointy end of the season. With this in mind I think we need to bite the bullet and pump significant game time into Lewis Young to see if he can get some confidence at the highest level and develop his game. We can't continue with this severe lack of flexibility in defence.

I agree with everything you say except playing second defender role.

Losing to the 3 bottom teams does not look good for 2020 either. Need a totally new game plan.

SquirrelGrip
26-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Not sure how much the heights on the Dogs web page can be trusted, but Cordy is listed at 193cm and that's fine for playing the second and third tall defender role (I wouldn't be surprised if he was taller).

Pure height isn’t everything. It’s also reach, vertical leap and build. Fletcher Roberts for example has a longer neck, so his shoulders are lower than others of the same height, meaning his reach when spoiling or marking is not as great. We need more tall players with short necks and long arms who can also jump!

The Underdog
26-05-2019, 07:32 PM

Considering playing Young at the highest level against GWS probably broke him and set him back immensely, I think we need to be careful. I agree that we need to change things up down back and am happy to give him a shot, but since his cracking first couple of games, he's been a shambles at senior level in his few chances. We've clearly been trying to build him back up. We need to be sure he's ready physically and mentally for the challenge. Darling and Kennedy may not be the week for it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Richards was excellent last year in his debut season as a defender. Has never looked really comfortable further forward.
The same could be said of Toby Maclean who looks lost at half forward after playing well previously in the centre.

jeemak
26-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Considering playing Young at the highest level against GWS probably broke him and set him back immensely, I think we need to be careful. I agree that we need to change things up down back and am happy to give him a shot, but since his cracking first couple of games, he's been a shambles at senior level in his few chances. We've clearly been trying to build him back up. We need to be sure he's ready physically and mentally for the challenge. Darling and Kennedy may not be the week for it.

I understand what you're saying, and I've felt the same but think perhaps I'm now taking a point of view that he'll be close to 21 at the end of the season and I think he'll need to be exposed to the pressures of senior footy again soon to hopefully set him up for a genuine tilt next year. Sure, he could have a few shockers, but if he actually puts in some really good performances he'll go into next year knowing he can compete at the level which will be a really valuable thing.

As far as next week goes I guess we can throw him forward and Naughton back if it all went tits up against Kennedy and Darling, plus we have coverage with Trengove and Cordy.

mjp
26-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Can we just wind back the clock a day or three when we were all happy about the changes that mean the Hayes, Williams, Dale, Fletcher, Gowers, English, Young and Lipa were all swapping between afl and vfl footy.

What are we actually going to DO about McGovern, Hurn and Shepherd? Because if we can’t solve that, whatever we do with Richards, Le Young and Bob the Builder is not important. Their ability to control the game from the half back line is their centre of gravity and we need to take it away from them.

That said, whatever you think of Dale - and I would say his last 6 afl performances have all been pretty poor - to talk about dropping a guy after giving him just one look at it is just not good coaching (unless he has broken some kind of team based non neg in which case he has to pay the price...but I can’t imagine he has).

jeemak
26-05-2019, 10:02 PM
We have to use the width of the ground and spread their defence better than we did against the Kangaroos, that's for sure. When we talk about keeping their half back line ineffective we need to do so from a team perspective rather than relying on particular players nullifying the likes of those you mentioned.

Possibly though, we could bring in Young and use Cordy defencively across half forward to create a contest with McGovern and bring the ball to ground. But, if we are providing the hit-up/lowered eyes short option players ignored need to work their arses off to get to the fall of the ball if we do go long, otherwise the other WCE defenders will be able to mop up and move easily.

Ultimately we can't afford to get caught stagnant and forced down the line. The team selected needs to emphasise running capability, I'd also play Suckling back to use his kicking in setting up directional play.

mjp
26-05-2019, 10:08 PM
Possibly though, we could bring in Young and use Cordy defencively across half forward to create a contest and bring the ball to ground. Ultimately we can't afford to get caught stagnant and forced down the line.

Is Corey capable of ignoring the game and playing with his elbow in Mcgovern’s back? Teams try the ‘dummy lead’ thing vs him all the time and it Does Not Work. Need to play with an elbow in his back and engage with him at every contest.

I think we need Cordy vs Darling but swinging him forward to play ir most important player is a great idea.

We can win this. Gotta have a plan.

Hotdog60
27-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Just a left field idea.
Do we give Sweet a shot to go backup with English. Gives us an extra tall and would have to be a better option in the ruck the only thing is how mobile is he?
Would he be more a liability than using undersized players in a ruck contest we are conceding.

Danjul
28-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Just a left field idea.
Do we give Sweet a shot to go backup with English. Gives us an extra tall and would have to be a better option in the ruck the only thing is how mobile is he?
Would he be more a liability than using undersized players in a ruck contest we are conceding.

is Sweet a natural ruckman? If so there is nothing to lose. Would allow Dunkley, Cordy, Naughton to concentrate on what they do best

Mofra
28-05-2019, 02:30 PM
is Sweet a natural ruckman? If so there is nothing to lose. Would allow Dunkley, Cordy, Naughton to concentrate on what they do best
Sweet lost the ruck battle with Tom Campbell last week. I just don't think the kid is ready.

Left-field idea. Le Young comes in as a defender, we play Trengove as first ruck swapping with rests down back/on the bench, English plays forward and second ruck and with his reach he just has to stop McGovern taking intercept marks. Doesn't have to beat him, just has to stop his rebound plays.

In the elimination final we threw Cordy forward with a role of simply stopping McGovern and it helped us win. Teams that let McGovern ball-watch lose and lose badly.

That means Cordy has to battle against Kennedy and Le Young has to take Darling, or unfortunately Wood to Darling and we have Young on their resting ruck.
Their smalls are a concern too, Ryan can do it in the air or on the ground and Rioli will probably do his best to try and stop Daniel so we have to play Suckling back so we have the second outlet from defence (in place of Crozier).

Wallis pays forward and makes Hurn accountable. Wally has actually performed defensive roles well and can hit the scoreboard.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2019, 02:54 PM
Sweet lost the ruck battle with Tom Campbell last week. I just don't think the kid is ready.

Left-field idea. Le Young comes in as a defender, we play Trengove as first ruck swapping with rests down back/on the bench, English plays forward and second ruck and with his reach he just has to stop McGovern taking intercept marks. Doesn't have to beat him, just has to stop his rebound plays.

In the elimination final we threw Cordy forward with a role of simply stopping McGovern and it helped us win. Teams that let McGovern ball-watch lose and lose badly.

That means Cordy has to battle against Kennedy and Le Young has to take Darling, or unfortunately Wood to Darling and we have Young on their resting ruck.
Their smalls are a concern too, Ryan can do it in the air or on the ground and Rioli will probably do his best to try and stop Daniel so we have to play Suckling back so we have the second outlet from defence (in place of Crozier).

Wallis pays forward and makes Hurn accountable. Wally has actually performed defensive roles well and can hit the scoreboard.

Wallis is out for a few weeks too. Injury to his lower leg - not the one he broke.

Danjul
28-05-2019, 02:59 PM

Goldstein (25 to 49 hitouts in 2017) usually did too so should we hold that against the kid?

Mofra
28-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Goldstein (25 to 49 hitouts in 2017) usually did too so should we hold that against the kid?
Given he had zero marks and one effective kick last week, why do you think he's ready for AFL?

It's not just hit-out numbers. He's a developing ruck who needs time.

GVGjr
28-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Given he had zero marks and one effective kick last week, why do you think he's ready for AFL?

It's not just hit-out numbers. He's a developing ruck who needs time.

I agree he was always going to be a long term prospect and not someone who would be ready this year.
It's why I was a bit dismayed when people said we had enough ruckman on the list. We've been very lucky that English has done well with support from Trengove but I think we are paper thin for options.
Having to use Lewis Young as a ruck man is a strong indication that we don't quite have the right balance.

bornadog
28-05-2019, 03:50 PM
I agree he was always going to be a long term prospect and not someone who would be ready this year.
It's why I was a bit dismayed when people said we had enough ruckman on the list. We've been very lucky that English has done well with support from Trengove but I think we are paper thin for options.
Having to use Lewis Young as a ruck man is a strong indication that we don't quite have the right balance.

Tom Boyd would have been handy. ;)

hujsh
28-05-2019, 03:58 PM

If only we had some clue he might not be available for a very long period of time. :rolleyes:

bornadog
28-05-2019, 04:01 PM
If only we had some clue he might not be available for a very long period of time. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone knew he would retire like that.

hujsh
28-05-2019, 04:42 PM
I don't think anyone knew he would retire like that.

Even then he had a back injury he was a long way away from coming back from. It was bad list management even if he didn't retire.

bornadog
28-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Even then he had a back injury he was a long way away from coming back from. It was bad list management even if he didn't retire.

We don't know the real in and outs of the football department, so we can't say it is bad list management.

How do we know if we weren't on the hunt for a Ruckman and couldn't get an established one, so we took Sweet as the next best?

hujsh
28-05-2019, 06:43 PM
We don't know the real in and outs of the football department, so we can't say it is bad list management.

How do we know if we weren't on the hunt for a Ruckman and couldn't get an established one, so we took Sweet as the next best?

I don't know all the players in the country but I find it hard to believe there's not one mature ruckman in the state leagues worth a shot as backup at least. It's one of the few cases where outsiders can look and and say 'yep, we probably GrubGrubGrubGrubed that one up'

divvydan
28-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Gardner will come straight into the team this week.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-28/gardner-goes-from-draftee-to-debutant

ratsmac
28-05-2019, 07:08 PM

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-28/gardner-goes-from-draftee-to-debutant

Wow!! Alrighty then. We get to see what we bought straight away then.

Good luck Ryan.

lemmon
28-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Absolutely the mix isn't right in terms of rucks on the list but after seeing how Campbell was looked over last year, what's the point adding one if Bev doesn't think they bring what he wants them to bring and therefore refuses to pick em?

There was no one running around in the state leagues that had a better year than Campbell had at Footscray and I don't think anyone we could have grabbed was going to be an upgrade.

I wanted us to have a real dip at Preuss, but at the end of the day, if Power gets one but Bevo doesn't and won't play them, why waste the list spot?

GVGjr
28-05-2019, 07:52 PM

That actually confirms my point because we knew there was considerable doubt on his availability with his back injury

GVGjr
28-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Equally how do you know that we did? It's fair to question the list management approach given we didn't recruit at least one more player capable of having a spell in the ruck.

I wonder if we think adding players with state league experience fast tracks their development

Rocket Science
28-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Hahaa fair indictment on Schache.

And our list management in general.

S Coast Simon
28-05-2019, 08:08 PM
How good is this. On the list and on your way to Perth. Massive week for this young lad. Seems incredibly agile for 197 centimetres. The tiny bit of footage I have seen of him he doesn’t seem that tall. I really liked what I watched. Hope he goes well

kruder
28-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Where does he play? Forward or Back?

I have a feeling West might get his chance forward this week.

Danjul
28-05-2019, 09:09 PM

In 13 games last year Schache had less than 10 possessions twice, both 9 and one was first game in the team.

His last 2 games this year were 7 and 4.

in the first 20 games last year McLean had 11 games with 25 possessions or more (three Over 30).

In the first 10 games this year he has had none (most under 20).

Schache is not the only player going backwards quickly. I can give more examples.

What is going on?

Remi Moses
28-05-2019, 09:16 PM
Thought McLean was good last week , but he’s been down this year. Schache needs to show more intent otherwise it’s going to be a short afl career

Danjul
28-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Thought McLean was good last week , but he’s been down this year. Schache needs to show more intent otherwise it’s going to be a short afl career

McLean had 14 touches, less than any game last year.

Mofra
28-05-2019, 09:47 PM
In 13 games last year Schache had less than 10 possessions twice, both 9 and one was first game in the team.

His last 2 games this year were 7 and 4.

in the first 20 games last year McLean had 11 games with 25 possessions or more (three Over 30).

In the first 10 games this year he has had none (most under 20).

Schache is not the only player going backwards quickly. I can give more examples.

What is going on?
McLean is playing a completely different role this year

Rocket Science
28-05-2019, 09:56 PM
What is going on?

It's a very pertinent question.

Richards, Williams and Lewy Young in particular all scream WT-actual-F. McLean's mysteriously plateaued. Dale's treading water, backwards despite having a skill set we're dying for. Lynch has seemingly fallen off a cliff. And we'll all be watching the 2019 travails of Lipinski, Greene and Webb with considerable trepidation in 2019.

Hardly the makings of a 'factory'.

Thank god the raw natural talent of Naughton and Smith has seen them through.

Danjul
28-05-2019, 10:05 PM

With half as many possessions (contributions) it’s easy to say I preferred his old role.

And why did he need a new role when he was playing great football?

last year he had over 500 possessions, just behind Macrae and Hunter.

Bullies
29-05-2019, 09:42 AM
McLean had 14 touches, less than any game last year. Play McLean on a wing. He knows how to get and use the ball. He is not getting a good run at it on the forward line (no one could with our delivery). If they can't get him in the middle then wing is next best with Hunter on the other one.

bornadog
29-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Play McLean on a wing. He knows how to get and use the ball. He is not getting a good run at it on the forward line (no one could with our delivery). If they can't get him in the middle then wing is next best with Hunter on the other one.

We are second in the AFL for marks inside 50.

G-Mo77
29-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Obviously that was the guy they wanted and who Bevo talked about in the press conference but what if someone else snapped him up. What then? I'm not fussed about him walking up to start at AFL level. He's been playing VFL for us and probably out performing our listed players so why not give him a go? That being said it shows how horribly poor our list management was in the off-season. The Tom Boyd retirement wasn't something out of left field, they would have known his situation and the chances of being without him for a long period time at the very least. Why didn't we target this area on our list earlier? We continuously be reactive in our decisions and we'll continue to be a step behind the rest if we keep the same path. Dalrymple for the Swans was questioned on why select another ruck man in the mid season draft and answered it perfectly. It was along the lines of one of their rucks was on the LTI with a knee and weren't certain on recovery and the player selected was talented enough and physically ready now so he's a long term project if ruck stocks are healthy but can jump in if something doesn't go the way it should. Proactive list management.

Mofra
29-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Play McLean on a wing. He knows how to get and use the ball. He is not getting a good run at it on the forward line (no one could with our delivery). If they can't get him in the middle then wing is next best with Hunter on the other one.
I mentioned this last week, was a little disappointed that Bailey Dale was given the opposite wing more often than not.

McLean is surprisingly good overhead which helps our transition out of the backline, I'd back him over most opponents of similar height.

Axe Man
29-05-2019, 11:58 AM
So we know Crozier and Wallis out and Gardner in.

My guess is no further outs (unless there is another mystery injury) and Dickson in.

kruder
29-05-2019, 08:57 PM

My guess is no further outs (unless there is another mystery injury) and Dickson in.

Yeah I think your right. West is a chance but I'm not sure you wanna debut 2 young players again. Richards could be lucky again.

AutoFill
29-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Agree. Why?? Was he doing too well?. But that seems to be the way. If your amongst our best midfielders, you play forward, best intercept mark, let’s run you up forward too. Selection since 2017 has been an absolute mystery

bornadog
29-05-2019, 11:11 PM
Agree. Why?? Was he doing too well?. But that seems to be the way. If your amongst our best midfielders, you play forward, best intercept mark, let’s run you up forward too. Selection since 2017 has been an absolute mystery

Welcome with your first post.

Can you please explain which players you are talking about. - cheers

boydogs
30-05-2019, 12:15 AM
Welcome with your first post.

Can you please explain which players you are talking about. - cheers

Going to guess McLean & Naughton, in response to this post at the bottom of the previous page

Mofra
30-05-2019, 12:04 PM

I'd guess the same - 3 goals at VFL level and mature enough to play on Hurn to try and nullify him.

bornadog
30-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Press Conference:

LB: Always romantic when guys persevere & get their opportunity. The combination of what Ryan’s learnt in Geelong & here will have him ready for both ends.

LB: We need to make sure we get the upper hand as early as possible against West Coast to give ourselves the best opportunity.

LB: Mitch has got some stress in the lower leg & it’s popped up, we’ll be conservative & make sure we can reintroduce him in the back end of the year.

LB: Tory will come to Perth with us and may be in the 22. Croz will miss, so will Wally. There may be one or two others.

LB: Dale Morris will be back with us soon after the bye. Trained on Tuesday, did most of the ball work. It’s really promising, we’ll definitely bring him back through Footscray then and get his match fitness up.

LB: It’s a huge challenge, best thing is we gave ourselves a good account of ourselves against Fremantle last time. We understand how strong WCE are & we’ll chip away at some of their vulnerabilities

Axe Man
30-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Debut mystery: New Dog's role against Eagles kept under wraps (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-30/debut-mystery-new-dogs-role-against-eagles-kept-under-wraps)

EARLY confirmation of a debut for Ryan Gardner has not drawn Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge into revealing which end of the ground the key position player will line up against West Coast at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

Selected in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft from Footscray on Monday and declared a certain member of the senior side less than 24 hours later, Gardner was lauded by his coach for his refusal to give up on playing at AFL level.

"Yeah, they're always romantic stories when the guys persevere and get another chance. As he's (Gardner) been talking publicly, he's capable at both ends of the ground and we've used him there during the VFL season this year," Beveridge said on Thursday.

The 21-year-old could be thrust into defence as a taller replacement for Hayden Crozier, who is set to miss 2-3 weeks with a toe injury, as the imposing task of stopping the Eagles' forward line awaits the travelling Bulldogs. Beveridge kept his cards close to his chest.

"Obviously he's been schooled a little bit at Geelong and so the combination of what he's learnt there and what he's got here will prepare him for both ends. Rather not declare where he'll start, but he obviously won't be in the ruck," Beveridge said.

The inclusion of 197cm Gardner doesn't bode well for other tall options Lewis Young or Josh Schache, but their coach insists the call doesn't rule them out of contention this week.

"I talk to those lads every week and they've seen what Ryan is capable of at VFL level. Over the last couple of weeks Ryan has played different roles for us, some lockdown roles, and it probably doesn't look that great on the stat sheet at times. His early form forward was terrific," Beveridge said.

"He (Schache) played pretty well last week and so he's under consideration to come back in anyway, so it's not like I've had to say to Josh, ‘hey bad luck, it's Ryan not you’. Hopefully he trains well today."

Speculation emerged this week surrounding the Bulldogs’ interest in Hawthorn midfielder Isaac Smith and Gold Coast forward Jack Martin in the trade period, moves the coach has little inclination to confirm or deny during the season.

"I got asked a question at the end of last week's game due to the fact that 'Boydy' is not with us anymore and obviously 'Picko' has retired as well."

"There is an opening there (and) would we be focusing on the possibility of picking up a key position player… and we did. But that's the only reason I was talking about list management, because I got asked a question.

"So out of respect for our players and opposition players at other clubs between now and when we get to trade at the end of the year, I won't be talking about individuals."

Veteran forward Tory Dickson kicked three goals in the VFL last week and will be in the squad on the plane to Perth.

Beveridge acknowledged the trip is arguably the toughest in the AFL, while remaining upbeat of an upset against the reigning premiers.

"They've (West Coast) been beaten three times, you look at the reasons why. No team is infallible and at our best we've shown we're not a bad team."

bornadog
30-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Based on the above article, Schache in

Rocket Science
30-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Press Conference:

LB: Always romantic when guys persevere & get their opportunity. The combination of what Ryan’s learnt in Geelong & here will have him ready for both ends.

LB: We need to make sure we get the upper hand as early as possible against West Coast to give ourselves the best opportunity.

LB: Mitch has got some stress in the lower leg & it’s popped up, we’ll be conservative & make sure we can reintroduce him in the back end of the year.

LB: Tory will come to Perth with us and may be in the 22. Croz will miss, so will Wally. There may be one or two others.

LB: Dale Morris will be back with us soon after the bye. Trained on Tuesday, did most of the ball work. It’s really promising, we’ll definitely bring him back through Footscray then and get his match fitness up.

LB: It’s a huge challenge, best thing is we gave ourselves a good account of ourselves against Fremantle last time. We understand how strong WCE are & we’ll chip away at some of their vulnerabilities

Heartened to hear Lewy Young rated a mention too.

Mofra
30-05-2019, 02:33 PM
Based on the above article, Schache in
I'm expecting Dickson in.

Bullies
30-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Couldn't get Gowers back in the side quick enough could you Bevo.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Im expecting us to be screwed, How can we draft a kid bring him straight in and not kill the moral of the team, Bevo and his left field idea's its really time to pack up and go.

Im sick of seeing glimpses and potential on the park, I want to see direction, commitment and unity. I am fearful you are driving a wedge between the playing group. They look unhappy, not interested and confused on what is expected.

I'm only looking from the outside granted, but I can assure you Bevo, I understand more about the list management, game plan and best 22 at Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond than I do about my own bloody side.

GVGjr
30-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Ins Ryan Gardner, Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

Out Ed Richards (Omitted), Hayden Crozier (Injured), Mitch Wallis (Injured)

Gardner, Gowers straight into the starting line up

Interchange from Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Toby McLean, Patrick Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Bailey Dale, Roarke Smith and Lachie Young

Lewis Young misses out again but it's a good blend

The Underdog
30-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Ins Ryan Gardner, Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

Out Ed Richards (Omitted), Hayden Crozier (Injured), Mitch Wallis (Injured)

Gardner, Gowers straight into the starting line up

Interchange from Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Toby McLean, Patrick Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Bailey Dale, Roarke Smith and Lachie Young

Lewis Young misses out again but it's a good blend

Feels structurally better, but hey I liked last week’s changes, so what do I know?

GVGjr
30-05-2019, 08:05 PM
B: Jason Johannisen, Jackson Trengove, Bailey Williams
HB: Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
C: Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Bailey Smith
HF: Matt Suckling, Ryan Gardner, Sam Lloyd
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Billy Gowers
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae
Int (ext): Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Toby McLean, Pat Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Bailey Dale, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

In: Josh Schache, Rhylee West, Billy Gowers, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young, Ryan Gardner
Out: Mitch Wallis (injured), Hayden Crozier (injured), Ed Richards

Sedat
30-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Ed has run out of chances and needs a decent spell in the twos.

Has Lewis Young had his papers stamped? Lachlan Young, Gardiner and Roberts have gotten games ahead of him in recent weeks.

Mofra
30-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Has Lewis Young had his papers stamped? Lachlan Young, Gardiner and Roberts have gotten games ahead of him in recent weeks.
I hope not - he's only one month older than Lachie Young

Rocket Science
30-05-2019, 11:45 PM
I hope not - he's only one month older than Lachie Young

In today's presser Bevo saw fit to say Lewy Young's "going to be a very very good player for us".

That's two 'verys'.

At what stage we consider him fit for anything more than a cup of coffee with the big boys though remains to be seen.

As to the changes, it was well and truly time for Richards to go back and figure some things out.

Let's hope Billy's done the same otherwise Hurn's going to pull his pants down.

FrediKanoute
31-05-2019, 12:45 AM
I think with Gardner into the forward line and Billy back he might find things a little easier and not have to play the sacrifice role. That said, Billy needs to get the brain freeze moments out of his game

ratsmac
31-05-2019, 01:37 AM
I think with Gardner into the forward line and Billy back he might find things a little easier and not have to play the sacrifice role. That said, Billy needs to get the brain freeze moments out of his game

A kick the bloody thing straight!!

Mofra
31-05-2019, 10:15 AM
In today's presser Bevo saw fit to say Lewy Young's "going to be a very very good player for us".

That's two 'verys'.

At what stage we consider him fit for anything more than a cup of coffee with the big boys though remains to be seen.

As to the changes, it was well and truly time for Richards to go back and figure some things out.

Let's hope Billy's done the same otherwise Hurn's going to pull his pants down.
At Lewey's age Moz had just packed up his Doutta gear and trying to establish himself as a senior Werribee player.

We tend to draft late birthday kids (e.g. Bailey Smith was only draft eligible by two weeks last year), sometime as a fan base that requires extra patience.
We're all pretty patient with Lachie Young, surely we can be a little patient for a legitimate KPP who is only one month older.

Bullies
31-05-2019, 10:28 AM
I think with Gardner into the forward line and Billy back he might find things a little easier and not have to play the sacrifice role. That said, Billy needs to get the brain freeze moments out of his game Can someone please tell me what this sacrificial role that Gowers plays? I must be missing something. I don't see him playing on anyone of note as he gets the number 6 defender each week.

bornadog
31-05-2019, 10:32 AM
At Lewey's age Moz had just packed up his Doutta gear and trying to establish himself as a senior Werribee player.

We tend to draft late birthday kids (e.g. Bailey Smith was only draft eligible by two weeks last year), sometime as a fan base that requires extra patience.
We're all pretty patient with Lachie Young, surely we can be a little patient for a legitimate KPP who is only one month older.

When Moz started playing AFL, Lew young was 6yrs old and Smith was 4

Axe Man
31-05-2019, 11:03 AM
Can someone please tell me what this sacrificial role that Gowers plays? I must be missing something. I don't see him playing on anyone of note as he gets the number 6 defender each week.

Not sure about the number 6 defender - the best key back usually goes to Naughton and Gowers gets the number 2. As a result Gowers is almost always giving away size and strength to his opponent.

My understanding of his role is to provide an aerial contest and help block for Naughton where possible. Obviously most feel he hasn't been playing his role as well as we would hope with too few positive impacts on the game.

He's never going to get 20 possessions, 10 marks and kick 5 goals, but if he can do the unseen things expected of him by the coach and have a positive influence though score involvements and forward pressure, and of course keep the Billy head shake moments to 1 or 2 a game, then I think he plays most weeks in the absence of a better option.

Mofra
31-05-2019, 12:02 PM
Not sure about the number 6 defender - the best key back usually goes to Naughton and Gowers gets the number 2. As a result Gowers is almost always giving away size and strength to his opponent.

My understanding of his role is to provide an aerial contest and help block for Naughton where possible. Obviously most feel he hasn't been playing his role as well as we would hope with too few positive impacts on the game.

He's never going to get 20 possessions, 10 marks and kick 5 goals, but if he can do the unseen things expected of him by the coach and have a positive influence though score involvements and forward pressure, and of course keep the Billy head shake moments to 1 or 2 a game, then I think he plays most weeks in the absence of a better option.
Agree with all this - we definitely need a genuine forward who has a bit of swagger and Gowers has that. Aside from Lloyd and the developing Naughton, do we have any other genuine forwards on the list? Dickson is slowing down and Fergus needs to get his match fitness up. Caverra showed signs at VFL level but even then he was a mid who was thrown forward to try and give AFL scouts an idea he has a role at the highest level.

Gowers would be better off playing that medium role but in the absence of a genuine no 2 tall target has been playing outside his weight division.

Danjul
31-05-2019, 12:06 PM

last year Gowers played a different role.

In rounds 14 and 15 last year he had 22 and 19 possessions, that’s 41 in two games. And 5 goals. Excellent performances.

He showed that he had talent .

This year he has a different role, with a maximum of 8 possessions in his last 4 games, and 46 possessions in 6 games. Like McLean his new role is to have half as many possessions as his proven talent leads one to expect.

1eyedog
31-05-2019, 04:19 PM

I'm not convinced Gowers' is what we need, his bads outweigh his goods IMO. He's not much more than an athletic footballer who is not good enough to have a role other than blocking / providing an aerial contest and I agree that this is what he does and all he does. It's just too negative. He isn't a defensive forward because his pressure inside F50 does not set the world on fire, he's also not overly quick so doesn't get to a heap of contests but it is interesting that we keep persisting. His role is certainly by design and it looks like he has taken the role Wood was being groomed for.

I'd rather Schache come in and I know he doesn't deserve it but does Gowers? Gardner? Surely Schache is capable of competing in the air and 'blocking' for Naughton. His ceiling is also far higher than Gowers I'm not sure why he's not getting the exposure. I know, broken record right...

hujsh
31-05-2019, 04:25 PM
I'm not convinced Gowers' is what we need, his bads outweigh his goods IMO. He's not much more than an athletic footballer who is not good enough to have a role other than blocking / providing an aerial contest and I agree that this is what he does and all he does. It's just too negative. He isn't a defensive forward because his pressure inside F50 does not set the world on fire, he's also not overly quick so doesn't get to a heap of contests but it is interesting that we keep persisting. His role is certainly by design and it looks like he has taken the role Wood was being groomed for.

I'd rather Schache come in and I know he doesn't deserve it but does Gowers? Gardner? Surely Schache is capable of competing in the air and 'blocking' for Naughton. His ceiling is also far higher than Gowers I'm not sure why he's not getting the exposure. I know, broken record right...

I think Schache lacks the physicality and aggression to effectively block. Gowers does at least have this.

bornadog
31-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Final Team

IN
Ryan Gardner, Billy Gowers, Lachie Young

OUT
Ed Richards (Omitted), Hayden Crozier (Injured), Mitch Wallis (Injured)

Axe Man
31-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Final Team

IN
Ryan Gardner, Billy Gowers, Lachie Young

OUT
Ed Richards (Omitted), Hayden Crozier (Injured), Mitch Wallis (Injured)

Lachie Young in suggests Gardner plays forward I guess. Thought Dickson would come in but still a chance as the travelling emergency.

I wonder if Wallis out will see McLean get more midfield time as per many on heres wish.

ledge
31-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Agree with all this - we definitely need a genuine forward who has a bit of swagger and Gowers has that. Aside from Lloyd and the developing Naughton, do we have any other genuine forwards on the list? Dickson is slowing down and Fergus needs to get his match fitness up. Caverra showed signs at VFL level but even then he was a mid who was thrown forward to try and give AFL scouts an idea he has a role at the highest level.

Gowers would be better off playing that medium role but in the absence of a genuine no 2 tall target has been playing outside his weight division.

Bontempelli? Could be the best CHF going around.

westdog54
31-05-2019, 07:07 PM

If we could replicate his influence in the centre then absolutely.

Mantis
31-05-2019, 08:06 PM
Understand we have a couple of injuries, but Lachie Young looked a fair way off the pace just 2 weeks ago... not sure he's break has been long enough.

Eastdog
31-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Bonts best comes out when he plays in the midfield. I love it when he drifts forward from the midfield though and has a big influence on games the game v the Saints late last year in that 3rd quarter comes to mind. Been very good this year but he can’t be the only one to carry the load.

Grantysghost
31-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Thank god Billy is back, only forward with some aggression. The hate on here is beyond belief.

Eastdog
31-05-2019, 08:26 PM
Thank god Billy is back, only forward with some aggression. The hate on here is beyond belief.

Need to get some confidence back Billy. I hope he goes well on Sunday.

kruder
31-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Lachie Young must be the luckiest player in the AFL. I still think Bevo goes too young.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-05-2019, 09:55 PM

Fully agree with you GG. I still look at the Richmond game and it was clear he was blocking fir Arron. It’s just over shadowed by a few silly things and brain fades.

But that’s what we all loved about Brian Lake as well.

bornadog
31-05-2019, 10:07 PM
Lachie Young must be the luckiest player in the AFL. I still think Bevo goes too young.

He really does have faith in his players

kruder
31-05-2019, 10:28 PM
He really does have faith in his players

It seems like that in their first year but it seems to wane quickly after that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-05-2019, 11:14 PM
It seems like that in their first year but it seems to wane quickly after that.

Very strange. What ever happened to Brad Lynch who was excellent last year but hasn’t been sighted this year

jeemak
31-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Fully agree with you GG. I still look at the Richmond game and it was clear he was blocking fir Arron. It’s just over shadowed by a few silly things and brain fades.

But that’s what we all loved about Brian Lake as well.

I don't think Billy is as bad as some think, and he did deserve to be dropped. But isn't that the point though? He undoes his good work through being stupid and not working hard enough when he doesn't have the ball. If you couple that with his bad kicking for goal he's always going to be close to deficit with his value if he is being a dill.

And while Lake would have his odd brain fade, he was elite and not to be compared with the likes of Gowers. We loved Lake because we was consistently elite, and could afford to laugh at his stupidity.

bornadog
31-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Very strange. What ever happened to Brad Lynch who was excellent last year but hasn’t been sighted this year

Struggling in the VFL

1eyedog
01-06-2019, 02:11 AM

It's an interesting state of affairs when we're playing a player because of their aggression it reminds me of Dylan Addison = earnest trier. Gowers is a good VFL player and has done not much for ages now. Unfortunately the cupboard is bare.

GVGjr
01-06-2019, 08:11 AM
I like the look of our side for this weeks match.
While I think Gowers should have had another week at Footscray if he can kick a couple of goals and lift ihis workrate it probably a decent move for us.

West Coast has a great back line and their forward line has an interesting balance to tall's and smalls.

It's going to be a massive test for us

kruder
02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
I like the look of our side for this weeks match.
While I think Gowers should have had another week at Footscray if he can kick a couple of goals and lift ihis workrate it probably a decent move for us.

West Coast has a great back line and their forward line has an interesting balance to tall's and smalls.

It's going to be a massive test for us

Their forward line looks dangerous in the air and on the ground and our defence in the last few weeks has been awful. With Crozier out there isn't really anyone to intercept mark which means they will continue to get a lot of ground ball opportunities for Rioli/Ryan and co even if Cordy and Trengove keep the bigs quiet.

It's a massive week for the midfield, we need Libba, Macrae, Bont, Dunkley at their absolutely best to be competitive. The positive is our structure looks a lot better with Gardner and Gowers in the forward line which should mean Bont plays mid which is undoubtedly his best position.

jeemak
02-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Agree with Kruder's concerns surrounding an absent Crozier, so this week we need Wood to play the intercepting role he used to be capable of.

But who covers Wood? Does Williams prove GvGjnr right and show he is capable of playing taller, or do we try and roll the dice and go mobile with Williams and Suckling with Trengove and the new kid playing the tall roles with the former helping out in the ruck (this all assumes Cordy plays a forward defencive role on McGovern).

Not sure, but it's going to be interesting to see how we line up.

S Coast Simon
02-06-2019, 03:18 PM
Looking forward to a good captains game today. He will be at his intercepting best today. With Crozier out it is now clear to him who should be doing the job. I really hope he steps it up and leads a sterling victory that sparks a run of six straight leading into St Kilda round 18.

Happy Days
04-06-2019, 02:16 PM
It's an interesting state of affairs when we're playing a player because of their aggression it reminds me of Dylan Addison = earnest trier. Gowers is a good VFL player and has done not much for ages now. Unfortunately the cupboard is bare.

I didn't rate or like DFA but he would at least use his aggression positively and didn't walk around like a human bobblehead. Gowers has an aversion to the difficult aspects of footy that is totally at odds with both his talent level and his perceived style of play, two things you could never accuse Addison of.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2019, 07:57 PM
I didn't rate or like DFA but he would at least use his aggression positively and didn't walk around like a human bobblehead. Gowers has an aversion to the difficult aspects of footy that is totally at odds with both his talent level and his perceived style of play, two things you could never accuse Addison of.

DFA - used to enjoy watching him play the few times I went to a game. Had a very entertaining tackle on him. You could hear the impact several rows back. Reminded me of a country footy player. Well balanced and tough but not highly skilled.
Has Gowers been a forward all of his junior career? Does he have any other tricks?