PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Rnd 3, 2019 vs Gold Coast

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-04-2019, 09:59 PM
This is the round 3, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Gold Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 05:52 PM
bump

bulldogtragic
07-04-2019, 05:56 PM
B

Smith - the kid can play.
Libba - no signs of slowing down after three games
Naughton's contested mark in the last. Courage and skill from a young man.

A

Burning goal scoring opportunities all game. All pre-season all I heard was it was being fixed. It's not.
Wood was ineffectual.
Giving up goals with literally 4 seconds on the clock, and then losing up by under a goal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Bankers

Libba - 3 great games to start the year
Daniel was important in the last
Suckling - particularly in the first half. We would've been a further 2 or 3 goals behind if not for his smarts and skill

Anchors

Schache, just got worse as the game wore on, slow got caught behind his man when the ball came inside 50. A real step backward after a great performance last week.
AFL- when will they listen to fans both at the ground and and home as well as the players on this. Shut the roof. For first 3 qtrs it was so difficult to view the game.
Gowers. We saw bad Billy for most of the day.. poor decisions, poor skill execution. Probably cost us 2 goals with poor decisions.

AndrewP6
07-04-2019, 06:12 PM
B
Libba just rolls on
Smith will be a player to watch

A
Bont, impact the scores and its a strong game.
Wood - looked ordinary
Whole team. Embarrassing effort for the vast majority of the game.

bornadog
07-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Bankers

1. Naughton's Mark with minutes to go
2. Dunkley's goal from the boundary line
3. Libba's clearance work

Anchors

1. Dickson deciding to play on and getting pinged when the goals were in front of him.
2. Set shot goal kicking by quiet a few players.
3. Llyod's fumbling and turnovers all game

westdog54
07-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Bankers

Caleb Daniel. Dragged us kicking and screaming towards a win in the dying minutes. He just didn't have enough help.
Suckling. One of the best games I've seen him play.
Naughton. The kid plays like he's been in the system for four years.

Anchors
Wood. Our captain is not best 22 anymore and that is alarming. Had little effect on the contest and couldn't keep his feet to save himself.
Dickson. His kicking has fallen away badly.
Bontempelli. If you want to be a leader you've got to stand up in big moments. Had a good game but take your chances.

lemmon
07-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Bankers-
-Caleb: no one I'd prefer with the footy in his hands. Having a wonderful year
-Bailey: Sky's the limit here I reckon. All the things you want from an inside mid complemented by an absolutely lovely kick
-Libba: just keeps chugging on. Another excellent performance

Anchors:
-Gowers: can forgive not having a big game in front of goal, can't forgive not contributing when you don't have the footy. He really needs to do more defensively.
-Wood: how much longer do you persist? Think he needs to go to De Goey and make a statement this week.
-Lloyd: he's been a good addition but had an absolute shocker today. Nothing went right.

Eastdog
07-04-2019, 08:40 PM
Bankers:

Naughton - what a great year again so far for him. Took some excellent grabs.

Bailey Smith - Still just starting out but did some good things today.

Libba - Continuing his good form. Great return!

Anchors:

Lewis Young - just wasn’t there today down back. Way too easy for GC to score.

Our goalkicking has not changed - Bont needs to kick them.

Our turnovers hurt us and just our general field kicking not up to scratch today.

Mantis
07-04-2019, 08:43 PM
Bankers:

Naughton - what a great year again so far for him. Took some excellent grabs.

Bailey Smith - Still just starting out but did some good things today.

Libba - Continuing his good form. Great return!

Anchors:

Lewis Young - just wasn’t there today down back. Way too easy for GC to score.

Our goalkicking has not changed - Bont needs to kick them.

Our turnovers hurt us and just our general field kicking not up to scratch today.

Lewis Young gets an anchor, but our captain doesn’t.. FMD!

If he’s the problem with our defence we’re *!*!*!*!ed.

Eastdog
07-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Lewis Young gets an anchor, but our captain doesn’t.. FMD!

If he’s the problem with our defence we’re *!*!*!*!ed.

Yeah Wood was very dissapointing as well Mantis so with you there. He is our captain and he needs to do better than he is. I still have faith in Lewis just wasn’t his day today.

josie
07-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Naughton’s brave mark late in Q4-please sign him up long term quickly coz he is something special
Smith’s coming along nicely-well done Bevo in persevering with him
Daniel’s poise-Gavaskar has a rival in the “little master” stakes

Sick and tired of poor goal kicking-Dunkley and Bont especially
Why oh why did we continuously bomb the ball into F50 time aftertime with GC outmarking us?
Can we learn to punch the ball rather than be continually outmarked?

Eastdog
07-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Can we learn to punch the ball rather than be continually outmarked?

Yes very evident watching at the game today. We didn't do enough of that. Our defending was well down today. I was saying today at the game "strong defence Dogs strong defence".

ratsmac
07-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Bankers

Daniel - if everyone played like him we would be unbeatable. He is always clean, smart and always willing to go the extra mile for his team mates.

2. Naughton. That mark. We ran out of time but that mark and goal almost stole the win. He is our new fewch.

3. Smith - he showed some good signs in a pretty lacklustre team performance.

Anchors

1. Getting out marked all day. We were so easily out bodied and out positioned. We then played into their hands by bombing it long into the forward line or down the line. Well done Gold Coast in forcing us.

2. Bont. Those misses. He could of been BOG if he gets 1 of them in.

3. 2017/2018 style defending. We must get caught out the back on a fast break more than any team in the comp. Not sure if this is a player issue or a coaching issue. It must be fixed if we are any chance of finals this year.

merantau
08-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Bankers
1. Daniel - he was good all day.
2. Smith is progressing
3. A few tried hard
Anchors
1 Goal kicking
2 Too static No one wanted to run
3 Lloyd had a shocker.

merantau
08-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Bankers
1. Daniel - he was good all day.
2. Smith is progressing
3. A few tried hard
Anchors
1 Goal kicking
2 Too static No one wanted to run
3 Lloyd had a shocker.

Mofra
08-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Bankers:
Crozier has proven to be an outstanding pick up.
Smith from Q2 onwards showed why we were so keen on him and why he MC want to pump games into him
Suckers coming back on the field after breaking his nose.

Anchors:
Lack of defensive pressure. They killed us on the rebound
Dickson's howler to get caught by Collins. Unacceptable at senior level, especially from a senior player
Lloyd's fumbles - he's normally a lot cleaner than that. Had a horror patch in the 3rd quarter which gifted GCS a possession chain that they goaled from

The bulldog tragician
08-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Bankers
1. Encouraging signs from Bailey Smith, not least him pushing off a player who was pinning Bont to the ground.
2. Daniel barely wasted a possession and kept trying to create.
3. Seeing the Picken children in the car with their famous dad.

Anchors
1. Our adoption of inane ‘oblivious cam’, pounding noise pre match,sweet Caroline, none of this is what I go to footy for.
2. Slow ball movement. Lack of creativity, dare. Atrocious skill level. We can’t keep making so many opportunities, that lead to no scoreboard pressure whatsoever
3. Having to hear the GC song.

4. Me, for talking myself out of the ‘it’s a danger game’ mindset, because I want to believe those days of us dropping the must win matches are behind us.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Bankers:
Bailey Smith has improved every game. A great trait for a young player.
We didn't give in but were just not good enough on the day.
Naughty will be a star. Just give him room on the forward line.

Anchors:
Over the years this would be one of the most excruciating games I have watched.
Bont's goal kicking. Do something about it son. Get your own goal kicking coach. Do something positive. It is agony to watch.
Dunks you are a deplorable kick for goal. Stop leaning back when you kick and hunch forward like Lockett. We all can see it.

RANT OVER

merantau
08-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Anchors:
Over the years this would be one of the most excruciating games I have watched.

I could not agree more. It was sick-making. Reminded me of Grade 5 v Grade 6 in a very small playground at lunchtime. Basically unwatchable.