PDA

View Full Version : 3 Things I've learned Round 3 vs Suns 2019

GVGjr
07-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Well we should have no problem finding 3 things learned today.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2019, 05:52 PM
1. You can't burn goal scoring opportunities all game and expect to win in the last.
2. Goals with seconds to go, Gunston two seconds last week, MacPherson four seconds today can be result defining.
3. Smith has 'it'.

DOG GOD
07-04-2019, 06:00 PM
1. The media hype that we were back to our 2016 hunger will now stop
2. Smith will be a good player for us
3. Wood and Richards surely on the chopping block

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 06:03 PM
1. Having a brand of football that sees us own massive chunks of general play and field position, is so frustrating when it usually results in such wastefulness on the scoreboard.
2. Naughton is fast becoming a real name in this game.
3. Bontempelli could be the regarded as the best footballer in the competition if not for his poor goal kicking for the past 2 years.

Vred
07-04-2019, 06:04 PM
1. Close the roof at Marvel because you actually can’t see shit going from light to dark or vice versa.
2. Team needs a shake up now after 3 games, Lippa, JJ and others need to come in.
3. Honestly, just pathetic.

AndrewP6
07-04-2019, 06:06 PM
1.Last week wasn't the beginning of something good.
2. We're in for a lot of frustration this year.
3. Bont is just below the true top echelon until he can learn to convert.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2019, 06:12 PM
1. I said we got lucky last week and I think today shows that. Still a fair way off in a lot of areas.
2. We need a fast pressure small forward - our mid sized forwards don’t apply enough pressure and aren’t quick enough.
3. Young has potential - made some errors but had a lot of pressure with little help but did OK considering.

Bulldog4life
07-04-2019, 06:17 PM
1. Bont has officially got the yips bad.
2. Our forward line is a work in progress....spread guys spread.
3. A crappy start to the week.

westdog54
07-04-2019, 06:18 PM
1. Caleb Daniel has an insatiable competitive spirit.
2. Naughton plays like he's been playing for four years, not 2.
3. Our captain isn't best 22 anymore.

Bonus one: Our supporters should have the courtesy to learn the names of the players on their *!*!*!*!ing team. The lady behind me who was saying 'Who's 22' all game did my *!*!*!*!ing head in.

Bulldog4life
07-04-2019, 06:20 PM
1. Caleb Daniel has an insatiable competitive spirit.
2. Naughton plays like he's been playing for four years, not 2.
3. Our captain isn't best 22 anymore.

Bonus one: Our supporters should have the courtesy to learn the names of the players on their *!*!*!*!ing team. The lady behind me who was saying 'Who's 22' all game did my *!*!*!*!ing head in.

Why don't those supporters buy a flipping record. That is why they sell them.

westdog54
07-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Double up

westdog54
07-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Double up

Why don't those supporters buy a flipping record. That is why they sell them.

I may have told her to bring $5 with her to the next game on my way out.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-04-2019, 06:30 PM
1. Apart from Naughton we lack quality forwards
2. Absolutely thrashed in the ruck
3. Lack of depth and pace was most obvious today . Too many slow players

SonofScray
07-04-2019, 08:47 PM
1. The Bont has the yips.
2. There must be an impact on conceding so many ruck contests.
3. We seem to need to chase to get going.

ratsmac
08-04-2019, 07:11 AM
1. Any confidence we got from the first 2 rounds may have just been deleted.

2. Our defense needs a general. Wood should be that man but he is struggling to play his own role atm.

3. English is no where near ready to shoulder the ruck duties on his own. He needs help or more vfl time. Our mids can't work with his tap work at all. They rely 100% on sharking the oppositions taps. If he wins one it will probably disadvantage us because we won't expect it!

craigsahibee
08-04-2019, 09:20 AM
1. The sooner Marvel Stadium is demolished, the better.
2. I learnt why Sam Lloyd was only a bit player at Punt Rd.
3. Our guys must have read a lot of newspaper articles after Round 2.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2019, 09:21 AM
1. The Suns are much, much better than the footy world thought.

2. Easton Wood is a shadow of what he delivered in 2015 when he was AA. It's not a gradual decline. He has fallen off the side of a cliff. What has happened?

3. Bailey Smith showed why he was such a highly rated draft pick. He is going to be a bona fide jet.

Mantis
08-04-2019, 10:06 AM
1/ Aaron Naughton will rank with Brian Lake as the best mark in Bulldogs colours in my time.. He's freakish.

2/ Our ball use is embarrassingly bad.

3/ The change in roles for the likes of McLean & Dunkley (primarliy forwards) has done nothing to improve our team or their role in the team.. Understand why Libba gets big midfield minutes, yet to see the value in Wallis doing so.

Templeton31
08-04-2019, 11:45 AM
1. the Suns are better than most people think. They were better than us yesterday and they benefited from some mature big body key position players who were recruited from lower leagues. We could do with one for the forward line to fill a similar role to Glen Coleman when Chris Grant was learning - would help Schache tremendously.

2. We still would've won if the Bont, Billy Gowers and Dunkley (to name 3) had got highly gettable goals. Billy has more presence in forward line this year which is great but doesn't matter a pinch of poo if he doesn't kick goals.

3. Naughton has presence. And he's a leader. Look out.

Special mention to Picko. Loved seeing his 2016 highlights throughout the week and seeing him go round the ground. I know its been said elsewhere on the forum but Thanks Picko.

Torpedo
08-04-2019, 11:51 AM
1/ Jack Martin is a star. Can we get him?
2/ Forward entry kicks are still our downfall after two and a half seasons of rubbish delivery we haven't got the cattle/skills to deliver the ball at an acceptable AFL standard
3/ The team is good defensively but we need more attacking attitude from mids and forwards who can actually kick it through the big sticks. Our midfield must have the lowest goal scoring tally in the AFL. All one paced and don't get themselves into dangerous positions up forward.

Bullies
08-04-2019, 12:01 PM
3. Wood should not be in the team even if he is the Captain.
2. Wallis is not a midfielder. Lack of pace was highlighted by Suns.
1. Can't play Gowers/Dickson/Lloyd and Wallis in the forward line together. Pick 2.

Mofra
08-04-2019, 12:12 PM
1. We need to order coffee before the game. We were asleep in the first quarter
2. We win will centre clearances and the inside 50 count almost every week but haven't worked out how to punish teams yet
3. We desperately need a pressure forward. Roarke's VFL form is encouraging in that regard. Harbrow must have BO considering nobody went bear him all game.

Axe Man
08-04-2019, 12:13 PM

At least 22 is new player. Someone near me yesterday said "go number 10" at one stage - he's our Premiership Captain for goodness sake.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2019, 12:15 PM
At least 22 is new player. Someone near me yesterday said "go number 10" at one stage - he's our Premiership Captain for goodness sake.

First time I've laughed in 24 hours. Thank you!

The Pie Man
08-04-2019, 12:26 PM
1. Saw some worrying signs from Young, particularly in the first quarter avoiding body contact in the contest. The 'tackle' in the goal square was nowhere near required standard either, have to lunge and grab the body not just the jumper. I would persevere, but he has to get stronger.

2. English needs to work on his centre square technique, he mistimes his jumps badly and his arms get nowhere near the ball. Had an impact vs Hawthorn so was happy for him to be persevered with, but I thought he was quite bad yesterday and will likely be shown up on Friday if he plays (I wouldn't)

3. The roof open might make it hard for TV audiences, but it's absolutely fine at the ground IMV. The surface on the other hand is pretty sandy/patchy - took the boy out for a kick after the game and yikes is it rock hard.

Mantis
08-04-2019, 12:41 PM
1. Saw some worrying signs from Young, particularly in the first quarter avoiding body contact in the contest. The 'tackle' in the goal square was nowhere near required standard either, have to lunge and grab the body not just the jumper. I would persevere, but he has to get stronger.

I saw some worrying signs from Wood who is a senior player with a mature body, fell over in contests, missed tackles, got caught ball watching and generally played a shit game.

Not singling you out, but we have a love affair with hanging it on the junior members of the team when the senior counterparts are playing poorly as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2019, 02:56 PM
I saw some worrying signs from Wood who is a senior player with a mature body, fell over in contests, missed tackles, got caught ball watching and generally played a shit game.

Not singling you out, but we have a love affair with hanging it on the junior members of the team when the senior counterparts are playing poorly as well.

Agreed.

I thought Young was solid - he was under a mountain of pressure regularly with little to no help from the likes of Wood. Young has areas he needs to improve but he’s improved from last year. He needs games and he needs support - he got bugger all of the latter.

G-Mo77
08-04-2019, 03:31 PM

LOL. My son called him "ABC Kids" If you don't know what that means ABC Kids is on Channel 22. We had a good laugh about that one. :D

bornadog
08-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Agreed.

I thought Young was solid - he was under a mountain of pressure regularly with little to no help from the likes of Wood. Young has areas he needs to improve but he’s improved from last year. He needs games and he needs support - he got bugger all of the latter.

I agree, I thought Young played a better game than last week, and no doubt his confidence will grow. He needs support, and guys like Suckling, Duryea and Wood should be running past him when he has the ball so that he can dish it off. I am sure JJ will.

hujsh
08-04-2019, 03:33 PM

I think part of it in this case is that Young's errors were more visible because he was at least involved in the game. You can be forgiven for forgetting Wood's out there most of the time so he makes less errors even if his involvement to stuff-up ratio is about the same.

bornadog
08-04-2019, 03:35 PM
I think part of it in this case is that Young's errors were more visible because he was at least involved in the game. You can be forgiven for forgetting Wood's out there most of the time so he makes less errors even if his involvement to stuff-up ratio is about the same.

Against the Hawks, I thought Wood was very good, but yesterday he seemed all at sea. I still don't like him having to be that third tall, it must be taxing to have to jump in the air so many times against strong bodied big guys.

lemmon
08-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Against the Hawks, I thought Wood was very good, but yesterday he seemed all at sea. I still don't like him having to be that third tall, it must be taxing to have to jump in the air so many times against strong bodied big guys.

What other role is there for him? He doesn't get the footy enough to be a rebounding defender, and his kicking is iffy. He hasn't zoned off and been an interceptor since 2016. I don't think there's anything else for him except to be a Dale Morris style lockdown player that goes to the opposition's best forward and hopefully keeps them quiet without getting much of the footy himself.

whythelongface
08-04-2019, 05:45 PM
1. Whilst disappointed i can't say it was unexpected (not necessarily Gold Coast but losing games we should win). This will happen during this development phase just didn't think it would be losing to the Gold Coast (although kudos to them they are playing much better than i expected);
2. Libba is a machine. He needs to be the next player we sign up long term;
3. Lewis Young is raw but I see lots of upside. Has a good pair of hands and disposal is ok. Hope he stays in the team gain more experience at this level.

AshMac
08-04-2019, 06:59 PM
1. Bailey smith doesn’t turn his back on a scrap. Would love him to turn into an elite mid with a genuine bit of mongrel in him
2. We looked slow. Thier small blitzed is through the middle and out of defence
3. You can never - EVER - get ahead of yourself as a dogs fan

The Pie Man
08-04-2019, 07:29 PM

Ja, not keeping your feet as a senior player isn’t good enough - Wood certainly isn’t getting a free pass on this site.

Still can’t un-see a fairly timid jump into a pack with arms outstretched that screamed don’t touch me from Young.

I was rapt he was a late in against Hawthorn and I think he’s done enough overall to keep his spot, development aside. If he can become a regular contributor with his athletic traits we have part of our spine buttoned down. Hope he isn’t the type to drop his head and can attack every contest with the urgency required.

The ruck is a bigger issue for me

KT31
08-04-2019, 08:03 PM
1. You can't go into three games in a row without making changes.
2. Bont's is the true leader of the club, he may have missed a lot of shots but when he was in the centre he was a bullock.
3. We are young and will have good and bad weeks, but when we are good we are good - When we are bad we really really stink.