PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Round 3, 2019 vs Gold Coast

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 05:59 PM
So, once again, looking for the defining moment or the most courageous moment of the game.
A case could be made, given it summed up our lack of doing the basics well, for Dunkley's miss from just beyond the top of the square right in front on a set shot.
But I think the run down of Dickson when we had dominated most of general play...and then subsequently the ball goes downfield and GC end up getting a goal that just let out the pressure we had been building on them.

DOG GOD
07-04-2019, 06:02 PM
The moment for me was the 2nd qtr when we had like 22-6 inside 50’s yet only chipped 7 points off the qtr time deficit .

AndrewP6
07-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Defining moment was the first bounce. We never looked likely.

westdog54
07-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Bont's miss in the last. A player of his ability needs to take those chances to steady his team. That moment called for a leader to step up and he came up short.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2019, 06:11 PM
MacPherson goal with 4 seconds.

Richards not getting the ball quick enough. Two seconds quicker and he goals at the end of the quarter.

westdog54
07-04-2019, 06:12 PM
On the flip side, any one of Caleb Daniel's efforts in the dying minutes are worthy of mention. Almost dragged us kicking and screaming to victory.

jeemak
07-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Dunkley's miss really set the tone for the day. Gowers pulling the same crap running into an easy shot and Dickson being caught really followed suit.

Special mention to the Bont's five missed attempts at goal. Yep five...…..but the thread asks for one moment so I'll go with Dunkley.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Dunkley's miss really set the tone for the day. Gowers pulling the same crap running into an easy shot and Dickson being caught really followed suit.

Special mention to the Bont's five missed attempts at goal. Yep five...…..but the thread asks for one moment so I'll go with Dunkley.

Came in to post the same moment. Dunkley needed to kick that.. by the end of the day there were a number of players who had done the same, but Dunk needs to be better.

mjp
07-04-2019, 09:31 PM
The moment was when with a couple of minutes to go and the ball entering our forward line, Lloyd first didn't go hard enough at the marking contest THEN couldnt keep his feet and as a result lost control of the footy.

The Suns marched down the field and Bowes kicked their last goal of the game.

It was a terrible effort and he is an experienced enough player to have recognised how CRITICAL a moment it was. So annoyed.

dadsgirl16
07-04-2019, 09:32 PM
This is so much more fun when the moment gets me out of my seat....but I have to say Bonts miss in the last really was it for me
Set shots soooo frustrating

Eastdog
07-04-2019, 11:20 PM
Billy Gowers miss in the end to level the scores and then it was just a hope in getting the last minute winner but it wasn't to be.

boydogs
08-04-2019, 02:27 AM
Lewis Young watching Alex Sexton go past him in a race for the ball without laying body on him

jeemak
08-04-2019, 02:41 AM
The moment was when with a couple of minutes to go and the ball entering our forward line, Lloyd first didn't go hard enough at the marking contest THEN couldnt keep his feet and as a result lost control of the footy.

The Suns marched down the field and Bowes kicked their last goal of the game.

It was a terrible effort and he is an experienced enough player to have recognised how CRITICAL a moment it was. So annoyed.

Excellent get. I remember thinking that was really bad for an experienced player.

G-Mo77
08-04-2019, 04:48 AM
Lewis Young watching Alex Sexton go past him in a race for the ball without laying body on him

Oh that one. It was a rare time I got out of my seat, unfortunately for the wrong reason.

Mantis
08-04-2019, 10:13 AM

What would you have liked to see him do?

In my mind any body contact would've have given away a free... which early on (when they were at CHF) wouldn't have been a bad result, but doubt he has the footy smarts to do this.

hujsh
08-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Even when we started to catch up in the last the boys didn't seem too excited nor did they seem to have the belief or the desire to win. Even though we got close it never felt like it would happen. So I guess that first goal (Wallis was it?) was the moment for me.

bornadog
08-04-2019, 11:54 AM

You need to watch that video again, not sure what Lewis could have done. See here (https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/3/wb-v-gcfc#)

Mofra
08-04-2019, 12:17 PM
In the 3rd quarter, Dickson marks within range and Hunter is free streaming into goal.
Dickson can either handball straight away to Hunter, stop and pop the ball over the top, or take the shot.

He does neither, but steps over the mark and tries to get the ball to foot only to be tackled by Sam Collins. It just seemed to suck the life out of is, fluffing a certain goal. As a senior player it was incredibly poor.

Topdog
08-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Im going with the Dunkley miss in the first too. We just let the game get away from us and those misses 20m out pretty much straight in front are critical.

Disclaiming in that I only got to watch about 40 minutes of the match total. 15 min 1st quarter, 10 minutes of the 3rd and 15 in the last

The bulldog tragician
08-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Does anyone recall in Q3 Wallis marked the ball at 50. Dickson sprinted hard and was alone in the fwd pocket. Wallis appeared to see him but instead opted for a floating kick to the top of the square which was easily swept away ( our lack of crumbing all day was.. crummy)

If you ignore a player on his own, even if that player wouldn’t have been a certainty to kick it., you’d better hope you’re foregoing that option because the alternative is done very very well. A slow high ‘kick and hope’ strategy to 30 players in the goal square wasn’t ever that kind of alternative. To me that moment typified our day, dumb decisions and poor execution.

Bulldog4life
08-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Dunkley's miss for mine. Set the tone for the whole game. If you can't kick those you shouldn't be anywhere near the forward line. It was heart breaking.

G-Mo77
08-04-2019, 03:27 PM
You need to watch that video again, not sure what Lewis could have done. See here (https://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2019/3/wb-v-gcfc#)

Yeah, looked different from were I was sitting at the time, watching that if he ran straight he probably could have stopped it. Anyway it's not the first time we've been burned on the rebound and not the last. We bleed goals this way and have done for some time.

FrediKanoute
08-04-2019, 09:11 PM

I think he was just outpaced. Doesn't have the legspeed.

bornadog
08-04-2019, 09:15 PM
I think he was just outpaced. Doesn't have the legspeed.

Yes and actually surprised me with his pace for a guy 197cm

boydogs
08-04-2019, 11:14 PM
What would you have liked to see him do?

In my mind any body contact would've have given away a free... which early on (when they were at CHF) wouldn't have been a bad result, but doubt he has the footy smarts to do this.

He was anticipating the ball would bounce further to the right than it did, so he ran away from his opponent then back towards him instead of in a straight line or making contact. He has a bad habit of losing his opponent. I agree with your comments on him regarding the imbalance of the side, that was a good post

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18697-Always-Right-Match-Committee-Thread-Round-4-Vs-Collingwood&p=632977#post632977