PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs re-sign nine

Axe Man
10-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Bulldogs re-sign nine (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-10/aflw-bulldogs-resign-nine?fbclid=IwAR0t4CoWg8zca2EETt-6WelrHXFR1SBqG9671zbpKyNc83cscATlX6uWGDk)

The Western Bulldogs will head into the 2020 AFLW season in a strong position after re-signing nine players on the third day of the 2019 AFLW Sign and Trade Period.

The re-signings include 2019 co-captain Ellie Blackburn, defender Hannah Scott and rising star Isabel Huntington, who have committed to the Club for at least the next two AFLW seasons.

The Club’s first pick in the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft, Eleanor Brown, 2018 Rising Star nominee Bonnie Toogood and the Bulldogs’ first ever AFLW goalkicker Kirsten McLeod have also committed to the Club for the 2020 AFLW season.

Midfielders Kirsty Lamb and Naomi Ferres, and key defender Lauren Spark, have signed two-year deals.

Blackburn said she is excited about what the future holds for the Bulldogs after the Club retained the key group of developing and experienced players.

“It’s super exciting to have signed for the next couple of years and I’m really looking forward to continuing to be a part of the red, white and blue,” Blackburn told Bulldogs Media.

“I really do enjoy the place and I think (two-year contracts) give you a bit more of a sense of security, so you can really thrive in your role a little bit more knowing that you’ll be here for the next couple of years.

“All of our supporters should be really looking forward to seeing us grow and develop, knowing that we’ve got a young list but a really exciting list too.”

Western Bulldogs General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said the introduction of two-year contracts has helped significantly with player retention during a busy player movement period.

“Being able to lock in players for a longer period of time is incredibly beneficial to both the Club and the player,” Lee said

“To be able to re-sign some of our younger, developing players for a longer period is really exciting. Those players will continue to grow and improve over their next two years within our program.”

As it currently stands, the Bulldogs head into the 2019 AFLW draft with picks 4, 18, 32, 46 and 60 in the National Draft, which is likely to be held in October this year.

Western Bulldogs re-signings at April 10, 2019:

Ellie Blackburn (Two Years)
Eleanor Brown (One Year)
Naomi Ferres (Two Years)
Isabel Huntington (Two Years)
Kirsty Lamb (Two Years)
Kirsten McLeod (One Year)
Hannah Scott (Two Years)
Lauren Spark (Two Years)
Bonnie Toogood (One Year)

The Underdog
10-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Getting Ellie, Issy, Loz and the twin bulldozers Hannah Scott and Kirsty Lamb for 2 years is a top start.

Prince Imperial
10-04-2019, 09:04 PM
Conti the BIG name still to get.

Utri a handy player as well still to be announced. She is a Dogs supporter so hopefully the club is just spreading out the announcements.

Raw Toast
10-04-2019, 10:13 PM

Utri a handy player as well still to be announced. She is a Dogs supporter so hopefully the club is just spreading out the announcements.

McCarthy is huge as well. Get those 3 (Conti, Utri & McCarthy in that order) and I'll be reasonably happy.

Very, very happy that we retained Hannah Scott (strong rumours linked her to the Saints).

Raw Toast
10-04-2019, 10:37 PM
We've kept Lochland (yay) and Berry as well.

Lochland is important, played a key role in 2018, and a big loss through injury through most of this season.

I like Berry's potential, and she kicked a great goal in the 2018 Grand Final, but she drives me crazy by trying to do too much and being very hungry (typical old-fashioned forward, but not that much room for that anymore). Lost a lot of confidence as the 2019 season went on, but has lots of tools if only she could move the ball speedily.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2019, 10:55 PM

Conti should be the second Marque player

bornadog
10-04-2019, 11:51 PM
We've kept Lochland (yay) and Berry as well.

Lochland is important, played a key role in 2018, and a big loss through injury through most of this season.

I like Berry's potential, and she kicked a great goal in the 2018 Grand Final, but she drives me crazy by trying to do too much and being very hungry (typical old-fashioned forward, but not that much room for that anymore). Lost a lot of confidence as the 2019 season went on, but has lots of tools if only she could move the ball speedily.

Good News, I was hoping to keep Brooke

bornadog
11-04-2019, 05:56 PM
You can add another two in Lochland and Berry - story here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-11/lochland-berry-recommit-to-the-bulldogs)

Now for The Cont

SonofScray
12-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Lochland is a goal kicker in a competition where goals are like diamonds. We really missed her this year. Personally think she made tne single biggest difference to our chances, a real threat to hit the scoreboard.

Scott is my favourite, she plays the game in what I perceive to be a real Footscray way. Hard nosed, bullocking and resilient on the surface, scratch a little deeper and there's some clean hands and a bit of swagger. Our Club's most emblematic "Bulldogs" tend to be smaller, like Libba and Clay... it's nice to have a comparative big bodied, KPF hold the mantle.

Mostly this news was timely. KB's treachery had left me flat.

SonofScray
13-04-2019, 01:39 AM
Conti gone.

Removed bulldog related tags etc from her Insta account today.

bornadog
13-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Conti gone.

Removed bulldog related tags etc from her Insta account today.

Confirmed?

josie
13-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Oh dear-in a side lacking in speed and smarts to lose Conti is heartbreaking. As big a loss or more than Brennan.

Bulldog4life
13-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Oh dear-in a side lacking in speed and smarts to lose Conti is heartbreaking. As big a loss or more than Brennan.

Only 19 years old. Maybe wants a fresh start. :rolleyes:

Bulldog4life
13-04-2019, 07:36 PM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-2019-richmond-circling-monique-conti-gold-coast-eyeing-gabriella-pound/news-story/36bdfaf5a3e66c5477877bee13c80718

AFLW expansion clubs are continuing to raid established teams with All-Australian duo Monique Conti and Gabriella Pound the latest stars being targeted.
Foxfooty.com.au understands Richmond is attempting to lure Conti from the Western Bulldogs to play alongside big-name signing Katie Brennan, while Gold Coast has its eye on Carlton’s All-Australian defender Gabriella Pound.
Both players are weighing up their options and their current clubs are hopeful rather than expectant they will stay.

While there is a rigid salary cap in the AFLW, tier one players have their Additional Services Agreement (ASAs) listed outside the salary cap.
This allows wealthy clubs like the Tigers to effectively to pay their two allotted marquee stars a huge price to lure them to Punt Road.
It’s a luxury some clubs don’t have, while Carlton just have the solitary tier one player in Bri Davey and are understood to have recently upgraded their financial offer to Pound in a bid to keep her.
Pound, who lives in Brunswick and enjoyed a breakout 2019 season, has played 23 AFLW matches for the Blues and averaged a tick under 12 touches per outing this year. She has also toured Gold Coast’s Metricon Stadium state of the art facilities as the Suns attempt to woo her north.
Conti’s 2019 campaign was highlighted by a 25-possession effort against Carlton in Round 7.
Losing the 19-year-old — who was best on ground in the grand final when the Dogs won the 2018 premiership — would be a huge blow to coach Paul Groves, who was frustrated to lose Brennan and can ill-afford to let go of their recently-crowned best and fairest winner.

On Thursday, the Bulldogs were bolstered by the re-signing of forwards Brooke Lochland and Deanna Berry on one-year deals.
Captain Ellie Blackburn and fellow key players Hannah Scott, Lauren Spark and Kirsty Lamb have all signed two-year deals — the maximum contract length — as have talented youngsters Isabel Huntington and Naomi Ferres.
Despite these recommitments, the absence of Brennan — and potentially Conti — among that list of names places the Dogs in a precarious position.
With seven days remaining in the sign and trade period, some clubs have already expressed their disappointment in the structure of the player movement window, albeit privately.
One club official told foxfooty.com.au the trade period should lead into a signing window, rather than signings and trades being lumped into one block.
In the AFL, the trade period starts and finishes long before the final list lodgement dates, which allows clubs to make decisions on players after the trade period. This mechanism has not been afforded in women’s football, where the sign and trade window is all in the one hit.
Not only are the 10 established AFLW clubs in danger of being raided, but they cannot trade players who they have just signed. And since the signing period only opened on Monday, clubs have found it increasingly difficult to orchestrate trades.
Added to this is the fact clubs are unsure what compensation and therefore draft picks they will be handed.

The AFL’s decision to allow ASA payments for two players per club outside the salary cap was borne from two key desires. The first was for the best players to be paid accordingly with their market value, the second was to promote player movement at this time of year.
Conti and Pound have until next Thursday to make their decisions, but they will not be the last talented young women who will receive juicy offers from expansion clubs eager to hit the ground running in 2020.

Hotdog60
13-04-2019, 09:07 PM
I really like the women's football but after reading that I might not bother.
We have been plundered so hard that it's going to be tough just to be competitive.
What good are compensation picks when the pool is so thin is like Russian roulette where one in six might be a hit.

Bulldog4life
13-04-2019, 10:20 PM
We were lucky to win a premiership when we did. Very hard to win another when other Clubs are plundering your players. Difficult for supporters too.

Axe Man
15-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Tiarna Ernst has gone to the Gold Coast.

Daughter of the West
15-04-2019, 04:35 PM
Tiarna Ernst has gone to the Gold Coast.

This one makes me sad too, but on the face of it, looks to be a bit more valid than Kaytee Brelnan's "wanting a fresh start".

Seriously though, what's the point in being one of the foundation clubs if the flood of newbies can swoop in and snap up your best players?

I'm fuming about how the AFL have stuffed this up for the fans. I'm sure they're patting themselves on the back about how they're expanding the game so quickly, but talk about decimating the game for short term gain. Because everyone knows that thinning out the talent pool is really the way to make it a better spectacle and keep growing the fan base... :rolleyes:

bornadog
15-04-2019, 05:26 PM
This one makes me sad too, but on the face of it, looks to be a bit more valid than Kaytee Brelnan's "wanting a fresh start".

Seriously though, what's the point in being one of the foundation clubs if the flood of newbies can swoop in and snap up your best players?

I'm fuming about how the AFL have stuffed this up for the fans. I'm sure they're patting themselves on the back about how they're expanding the game so quickly, but talk about decimating the game for short term gain. Because everyone knows that thinning out the talent pool is really the way to make it a better spectacle and keep growing the fan base... :rolleyes:

From Club website:

Ernst, who is relocating to Queensland to pursue a new career opportunity in the medical field, said the decision to move away from VU Whitten Oval was incredibly challenging.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-04-2019, 06:42 PM
I remember reading a few years ago about was trying to work hospital shifts(studying to be a doctor) and juggling that with footy training. I think she's about 31 so her playing career in all probability is nearing the end. With her and Birch out of the backline it is certainly going to look quite different.

Axe Man
18-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Bulldogs confirm further AFLW list changes (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-17/bulldogs-confirm-further-aflw-list-changes?fbclid=IwAR15A-yOpKz4UqhWY2T4d3fqQKyTEyFFJg9d7qO42nJyjwP2mmGg26aAuho)

The Western Bulldogs have continued to strengthen their 2020 AFLW list, confirming another three re-signings in the second week of the 2019 AFLW Sign and Trade period.

The re-signings include rising star Aisling Utri and developing ruck Kim Rennie, who have committed to the Club for the next two seasons, while premiership defender Bailey Hunt has signed a one-year deal.

Forward Belinda Smith and defender Selena Karlson have also informed the Club of their wish to continue their careers with other clubs.

Smith arrived at the Club after the 2018 season after being delisted by Fremantle, and will head back home to Western Australia to join expansion team the West Coast Eagles, while Karlson has signed with St Kilda for the 2020 AFLW season.

“While it is disappointing to see Belinda and Selena depart the Club, we understand the reasons for their departures,” said Bulldogs General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee.

“Smith is returning to her home state to be with her family and continue her football journey, while Selena is heading back to where it all began for her.

“Both players have made a great contribution to our club and we wish them well with their future endeavours.

“We are really excited to re-sign another three of our existing players. We now have a large portion of our playing list re-committed, which is extremely positive as we continue our preparations for next season.”

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 11:20 AM
According to Fox Sports Conti to Richmond confirmed

Grantysghost
18-04-2019, 11:33 AM
According to Fox Sports Conti to Richmond confirmed

That hurts

Axe Man
18-04-2019, 11:43 AM
AFLW 2019: Western Bulldogs set to lose Monique Conti to Richmond (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-2019-western-bulldogs-set-to-lose-monique-conti-to-richmond/news-story/83c21f8f8160cf1d9043585ec576f573)

The Western Bulldogs will lose their AFLW 2019 best and fairest, with Monique Conti set to play for Richmond next season.
Foxfooty.com.au can reveal Conti’s two-year deal also involves Puma, although the Dogs must first agree to a trade.

The sign and trade period finishes on Thursday, but there is a secondary period from April 23-26 in which AFLW clubs can swap players and draft selections.

The Dogs have already lost four players to expansion clubs so any further departures must now be traded. It’s understood they are expecting Conti, who is currently on holidays overseas, to request a move to Richmond.

The 19 year-old has already been spotted at Punt Road and her impending arrival will cap off a prolific fortnight for the Tigers, who have also lured Conti’s ex-Dogs teammate Katie Brennan to the club.

Before the age of 20, Conti has achieved plenty in the game. She is a premiership player, a best and fairest and was also adjudged best afield in the 2018 Grand Final.

Her 2019 campaign was highlighted by a 25-possession effort against Carlton in Round 7.

She will be the fifth Bulldogs player to leave Whitten Oval, following Belinda Smith (West Coast), Selena Karlson (St Kilda), Tiarna Ernst (Gold Coast), and Brennan (Richmond) out the door.

In return, the Dogs have signed no players from rival clubs yet, though they did manage to lock in Bailey Hunt, Kimberley Rennie, Brooke Lochland, Deanna Berry and Aisling Utri on new deals.

The possibility of Conti joining the Tigers was first broken by foxfooty.com.au last Thursday.

Losing the 19-year-old will be a huge blow to coach Paul Groves, who oversaw a team that won just two of five games this season.

By comparison, the Tigers have made no secret of their desire to lure talent to the club.

Aside from Brennan and Conti, they’ve also acquired ex-Lion Sabrina Frederick via a trade, plus added Christina Bernardi (GWS), Maddy Brancatisano (Melbourne), Phoebe Monahan (GWS) and Iilish Ross (Collingwood).

The influx of quality means Richmond could have three tier one players, which would see the club forced to fit less tier two players into the salary cap.

Carlton had just one tier one player this season — captain Bri Davey — and she appears all but certain to join Collingwood on Thursday if the two clubs can orchestrate a trade.

The poaching of players from expansion clubs has been widely critiqued in recent weeks. On Thursday morning SEN radio, Essendon great Tim Watson queried whether young fans should get velcro numbers on their backs from now on.

In seeking to allow new teams opportunities to be competitive, three of the 10 AFLW captains from 2019 have either left their clubs or are expected to leave.

Axe Man
18-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Aside from the ridiculous way the AFL are running the women's game, what the hell is going on at our club? Why can we not match these deals by involving our sponsors? We are losing players left, right and centre and have signed precisely nobody from elsewhere.

And how do we make a trade with Richmond, a new club that has nothing to trade?

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 12:27 PM
There will be a lot of supporters who will lose interest as said before. I know a couple of people already in that boat. Can't blame them.

Murphy'sLore
18-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Bloody hell, is there anyone left?

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Conti needs to be traded. Richmond have nothing to offer. I am hoping we say enough is enough and refuse the trade. NO DEAL!

Grantysghost
18-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Agree there's got to be a line in the sand moment. They're bleeding a foundation club dry.

I am a little concerned there's some disharmony down there though.

boydogs
18-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Richmond will be gifted draft picks to trade
Agree with making a stand though, wouldn't be surprised if we pushed the others along to hit the 4 player limit to get something for Conti or fight to retain her

bornadog
18-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Aside from the ridiculous way the AFL are running the women's game, what the hell is going on at our club?

All Clubs are losing players, we aren't the only ones.

The AFL wants to spread the talent around and are allowing all this to happen.

Axe Man
18-04-2019, 06:28 PM
All Clubs are losing players, we aren't the only ones.

The AFL wants to spread the talent around and are allowing all this to happen.

Has any other club lost 6 players including 2 of their top 3 (at least on reputation)?

Might make more sense if we were any good this year but we won 2 games! We will be seriously non-competitive next season. Great reward for being a pioneer of the women's game.

Grantysghost
18-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Has any other club lost 6 players including 2 of their top 3 (at least on reputation)?

Might make more sense if we were any good this year but we won 2 games! We will be seriously non-competitive next season. Great reward for being a pioneer of the women's game.

That's it I think it's the quality over the quantity.

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 08:18 PM

My words exactly Axe Man.

bornadog
19-04-2019, 12:32 AM

I am not agreeing with their policy, just stating facts.

Brisbane have lost 8 players, Collingwood last year 12.

G-Mo77
19-04-2019, 08:01 AM
Joke of a league.

Murphy'sLore
19-04-2019, 11:44 AM
The AFL seem to be doing everything in their power to destroy this league before it's even properly begun. I wish they'd established a separate AFLW commission run by women and let them get on with it.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Call me cynical, but it's almost like the AFEL didn't think the women's league would work and put no thought into it beyond starting it. That they'd just get the credit for looking 'progressive'. From the lock out at the very first game that surprised Gil, intervening in the (what should've been inside) issue between Susan, Peter and the WO entrance, fast tracking too many players which is believed to contribute to injuries, to growing it to fast which hurts the teams that showed it works. Oh, and overlapping the stupid AFELX risking diluting AFLW. The AFEL is successful despite itself, and I say this on Good Friday, from a team that has the record of brining the most fans/members out for a Good Friday game who then had it taken off them to then shove to a drug cheating club. It's good we are unrewarded pioneers to help the AFEL.

Twodogs
19-04-2019, 12:57 PM
AFLW (and AFLM for that matter) has lost me and it will take a lot to get me interested again. Either the club or the players or both have lost the plot but I have zero confidence in the AFL managing to correct it again. Especially because it involves us. The AFL go out of their way to make things difficult for us in particular. You can bet both your testicles that if this had happened to one of the other clubs we would have retrospective rules in place that would have seen Brennan and Conti sent straight back to their original clubs, but it didn't, it happened to us and the AFL commission are leading the cheer squad.

Ive said it before, I will say it again and I will continue to say it because it's true. The AFL commission despise us as a club and can be counted on to make life difficult for us every time we make a little headway. I'm just waiting for City Hall to notice that we are sponsored by Mercedes Benz because when they do they will tell us that it isn't appropriate for us for some (bullshit) reason to be sponsored by a car company.

Doc26
19-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Agree there's got to be a line in the sand moment. They're bleeding a foundation club dry.

I am a little concerned there's some disharmony down there though.

Does seem odd given the leg up we had being the pioneers with Melbourne.

I’ve just read that:

Melbourne has re-signed the bulk of its list (18 players), led by Karen Paxman, Elise O'Dea, Tegan Cunningham, Lauren Pearce and Lily Mithen.

I wonder if the falling out at the top level of our Club with Sue Alberti has played any part. I hear that this breakdown is not in any way resolved. She is largely respected across the AFLW and many of our girls appeared close to Sue.

Bulldog4life
20-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Does seem odd given the leg up we had being the pioneers with Melbourne.

I’ve just read that:

I wonder if the falling out at the top level of our Club with Sue Alberti has played any part. I hear that this breakdown is not in any way resolved. She is largely respected across the AFLW and many of our girls appeared close to Sue.

Could be Doc.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 08:01 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-24/conti-departs-the-kennel

Bulldogs secure AFLW top draft pick

The Western Bulldogs have today secured the number one pick in the 2019 NAB AFLW Draft in a trade deal with Richmond, in exchange for midfielder Monique Conti.

The Club moved quickly to secure the deal with Richmond, following the AFL announcing yesterday that Richmond received the first pick in the National Women’s Draft as a priority selection.

The deal provides the Bulldogs with access to the best available young talent in the Draft, as they continue preparations for the 2020 season.

As part of AFLW expansion and list build rules, four players had already departed the Bulldogs to expansion clubs when Conti requested a trade to the Tigers, meaning she could only move to her club of choice via a trade deal.

“It is a difficult situation for existing AFLW clubs, with four new teams coming into the competition next season and having to contend with a fluid player movement system that is necessarily designed to support expansion,” said Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains.

“In the circumstances, we are pleased that our football department management has been able to salvage a terrific outcome for the Club by acquiring the first pick through a trade with Richmond.”

Bulldogs General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said: “Naturally, we were disappointed with Monique’s decision after providing her with two years of AFLW football development, including supporting her with an opportunity to continue to pursue her basketball commitments during the winter and summer periods.

“However, this trade deal will now provide us with access to the best player in what is now a National Draft. Combined with the players we have already retained, we are in a strong position to add further talent to our list for next season.”

Conti played 15 games and kicked four goals over two seasons with the Bulldogs and was part of the 2018 premiership team.

The Bulldogs also announced today that Angelica Gogos and Elyse Gamble have recommitted to the Club for a further year.

Both Gogos and Gamble have been part of the Bulldogs’ playing list since the beginning of the AFLW competition, and will enter embark on their fourth seasons at the Club in 2020.

And the Club confirmed that Jessie Davies and Tessa Boyd would not be offered contracts for next season.

“We thank both Jessie and Tessa for their contribution to the Western Bulldogs, and wish them all the best with their football endeavours,” Lee said.

“These decisions are made even more difficult when you’re dealing with great characters, and we wish them both well.”

ReLoad
24-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Well, looks like she forced our hand. Not cool Monique.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2019, 08:48 PM
T. Boyd delisted.

Leigh Matthews will be so happy.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 09:05 PM
The AFL orchestrated this by giving Richmond pick 1. They didn't deserve pick one with the players they signed up.

Hopefully we get the best talent with the pick.

azabob
24-04-2019, 10:24 PM
Well, looks like she forced our hand. Not cool Monique.

Interestingly Conti referenced Tigers supporting dual code athletes. Wonder what our stance was?

bornadog
24-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Interestingly Conti referenced Tigers supporting dual code athletes. Wonder what our stance was?

We have a few tat play different sports, but I think the Basketball almost runs into the Footy season. It certainly runs into the preseason training.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 11:12 PM

I read on the doggies website Debbie Lee said we supported Conti in her dual sports so it was disappointing to see her go.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 11:14 PM
The AFL orchestrated this by giving Richmond pick 1. They didn't deserve pick one with the players they signed up.

Hopefully we get the best talent with the pick.

I am sure they did too. The AFL gave us only pick 24 for losing 4 players including our joint captain. Ridiculous.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 11:46 PM
I am sure they did too. The AFL gave us only pick 24 for losing 4 players including our joint captain. Ridiculous.

Smacks of Ablett to Geelong.... The magical pick 19 compo for Motlop.

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2019, 05:02 PM
It's been a busy day of trades for the AFLW team:

In a nutshell:

Emma Mackie, pick 24 and pick 30 to St. Kilda for Pick 9
Libbie Birch and 77 to Melbourne for picks 8, 48 and Ashleigh Guest (hard running defender/mid who also plays in the VFLW team)
Kate Bartlett fo WC for pick 90

Trades strengthen Bulldogs’ AFLW Draft position
The Western Bulldogs have further strengthened their 2019 NAB AFLW Draft position, acquiring another two top-10 picks in exchange for forward/midfielder Emma Mackie and defender Libby Birch.

In a trade with expansion club St Kilda, the Bulldogs secured pick 9 for Mackie, with the Saints receiving the Dogs’ selections 24 and 30.

Birch has been traded to Melbourne along with pick 77, in exchange for picks 8 and 48, while hard-running defender/midfielder Ashleigh Guest will cross to VU Whitten Oval.

Forward Kate Bartlett has also been traded to expansion club West Coast, in exchange for pick 90.

Guest, who recently turned 29, represented the Western Bulldogs in the 2019 VFLW season and has played 18 AFLW games over three seasons - the last two with the Demons, after representing GWS in the inaugural women’s season.

“I was involved in the Bulldogs’ VFLW program last year and saw how much time and investment goes into women’s footy at the Club, so it was a no brainer for me to head to the Western Bulldogs,” Guest told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I am most looking forward to getting stuck into pre-season and helping build a really successful team.”

The Bulldogs are now in a strong position for the 2019 Draft, currently holding four selections inside the top 10, including the number one pick, which was secured in a trade with Richmond for midfielder Monique Conti.

“We are really pleased with the outcome of our trade deals over the past two days. It’s a great result for the Club.” said Western Bulldogs General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee.

“It is very exciting for our Club and our players to now have the opportunity to select from the best talented young players coming through the talent pathways, with four top-10 picks.

“This will provide us with a great opportunity to rebuild our list following consecutive years of competition expansion, and we can’t wait for the new young talent to be drafted.”

As it stands, the Club holds 2019 NAB AFLW Draft selections 1,6, 8, 9, 47, 48, 62 and 90.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-26/trades-strengthen-bulldogs-aflw-draft-position?fbclid=IwAR2jl37P13neA0BgTX4StigpcIiMBxtODIv-WAWoJURhqUYN8dxvJSEs4cY

Bulldog Revolution
26-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Lots of changes for the AFLW team

Lots 2 of our best 5 - in Brennan and Conti

Lots of picks to nail it, but still feels disappointing

bornadog
26-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Lots of changes for the AFLW team

Lots 2 of our best 5 - in Brennan and Conti

Lots of picks to nail it, but still feels disappointing

Pretty sure the coach is happy to get draft picks and develop new young talent.

Grantysghost
26-04-2019, 06:14 PM
All because we didn't let Susan in with her film crew :cool:

bornadog
26-04-2019, 06:21 PM
All because we didn't let Susan in with her film crew :cool:

Haha

Axe Man
26-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Bulldogs sign two more (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-26/bulldogs-sign-two-more)

The Western Bulldogs have re-signed a further two AFLW players on the final day of the 2019 Sign and Trade Period, locking in Nicole Callinan and Hayley Wildes for the 2020 season.

A member of the leadership group across her three years at VU Whitten Oval, Callinan made six appearances for the Bulldogs in 2019, while Wildes has been locked in for a fourth consecutive season in the red, white and blue.

In a busy player movement period, the Bulldogs completed four trades during the second Sign and Trade Period, which saw the Club land the 2019 number one draft pick in exchange for Monique Conti.

The final day of the Sign and Trade Period also saw Ashleigh Guest and 2019 draft picks 8, 9 and 48 land at the Bulldogs, while Libby Birch, Emma Mackie and Kate Bartlett departed the Club.

The Western Bulldogs took advantage of the newly introduced two-year contracts, securing eight players for at least the next two seasons including Ellie Blackburn, Hannah Scott and Isabel Huntington.

The Bulldogs parted ways with Katie Brennan (Richmond), Selena Karlson (St Kilda), Belinda Smith (West Coast Eagles) and Tiarna Ernst (Gold Coast Suns) to the four new expansion teams entering the competition in 2020.

Re-signings

Deanna Berry (One Year)
Ellie Blackburn (Two Years)
Eleanor Brown (One Year)
Nicole Callinan (One Year)
Naomi Ferres (Two Years)
Ellyse Gamble (One Year)
Angelica Gogos (One Year)
Bailey Hunt (One Year)
Isabel Huntington (Two Years)
Kirsty Lamb (Two Years)
Brooke Lochland (One Year)
Aisling McCarthy (One Year)
Kirsten McLeod (One Year)
Celine Moody (One Year)
Kim Rennie (Two Years)
Hannah Scott (Two Years)
Lauren Spark (Two Years)
Bonnie Toogood (One Year)
Aisling Utri (Two Years)
Hayley Wildes (One Year)

New signings:

Ashleigh Guest (One year)

Twodogs
26-04-2019, 07:46 PM

Allberti wasn't exactly faultless, turning up with a film crew and demanding access when she knew it wasn't going to be granted.

And she had already left the club by that stage. Were we expected to jump through hoops and grant special entry where nobody else got it? I was there with my father who was in advanced stage of cancer and it would have been so much simpler for us to take him through that entry and then straight up into the Whitten stand but we knew that gate was closed so we virtually carried him to the Cross st entrance. We don't consider ourselves to be more important than the club. Dad would have rather died (and yes I get the irony) on the spot than make a fuss about it.

Testekill
27-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Aside from the ridiculous way the AFL are running the women's game, what the hell is going on at our club? Why can we not match these deals by involving our sponsors? We are losing players left, right and centre and have signed precisely nobody from elsewhere.

A sponsorship with Puma is a far more attractive proposition for a footballer instead of one with the Pancake Parlour.