PDA

View Full Version : Naughton signs 4 year deal!

bulldogtragic
10-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Ye haw! To 2024! Double Ye haw!

Smart move. Naughton & Richards as first rounders were offered an extension last year, in their rookie year. Richards took the extra two years. Naughton took a one year extension, seemingly to back himself in to get a much bigger and better extension. Naughton has three more years under contract over Richards and probably more money than mid last year too. Well played young man.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Four year extension. Which means five more years. Fantastic news.

If the 2017 draft was done today how would it look? (Round #1 below, Kelly from Cats taken at #24)

1. Brisbane Lions — Cam Rayner (Western/Vic Metro, forward)

2. Fremantle — Andrew Brayshaw (Sandringham/Vic Metro, midfielder)

3. Carlton — Paddy Dow (Bendigo/Vic Country, midfielder)

4. North Melbourne — Luke Davies-Uniacke (Dandenong/Vic Country, midfielder)

5. Fremantle — Adam Cerra (Eastern/Vic Metro, midfielder)

6. Collingwood — Jaidyn Stephenson (Eastern/Vic Metro, midfielder)

7. St Kilda — Hunter Clark (Dandenong/Vic Country, midfielder/halfback)

8. St Kilda — Nick Coffield (Northern/Vic Metro, halfback)

9. Western Bulldogs — Aaron Naughton (Peel/Western Australia, key defender)

10. Carlton — Lochie O’Brien (Bendigo/Vic Country, midfielder)

11. GWS Giants — Aiden Bonar (Dandenong/Vic Country, forward)

12. Adelaide Crows — Darcy Fogarty (Glenelg/South Australia, utility)

13. West Coast Eagles — Jarrod Brander (Bendigo/Allies, key defender/key forward)

14. Sydney Swans — Matthew Ling (Geelong/Vic Country, halfback)

15. Brisbane Lions — Zac Bailey (Norwood/Allies, midfielder)

16. Western Bulldogs — Ed Richards (Oakleigh/Vic Metro, halfback)

17. Richmond — Jack Higgins (Oakleigh/Vic Metro, midfielder/forward)

Webby
10-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Great news. Second biggest talent on the list, imo.

The bulldog tragician
10-04-2019, 09:35 PM
:) love hearing this. The boy will be a star!

Eastdog
10-04-2019, 09:37 PM
Great News!

bornadog
10-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

kruder
10-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Awesome news! Hard not to to love what Naughty has done so far congrats to him. I think we were all a little nervous with Sam Power having little experience but this is a big step in the right direction.

MrMahatma
10-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Tidy

ratsmac
10-04-2019, 09:54 PM
So good!!!!!!!!

Great stuff Naughty!!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Great signing. Please don’t get homesick

Scraggers
10-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Best news all day :cool:

lemmon
10-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Huge. Excellent, proactive work

LostDoggy
10-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Fantastic news for the club and Aaron, I love the way he goes about it.

Mantis
10-04-2019, 10:58 PM
*!*!*!*!ing awesome!!

EasternWest
10-04-2019, 11:07 PM
This is the brightest of timelines. He's a star in the making.

Just saw his manager is Andrew McDougall. I'm glad to see him doing well too.

boydogs
10-04-2019, 11:31 PM

If the 2017 draft was done today how would it look? (Round #1 below, Kelly from Cats taken at #24)

13. West Coast Eagles — Jarrod Brander (Bendigo/Allies, key defender/key forward)

Stephenson, Naughton, Higgins, Kelly, Richards

The Underdog
10-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Hell yeah. Definitely my favourite thing Sam Power has ever done.

The Underdog
10-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Stephenson, Naughton, Higgins, Kelly, Richards

I love Ed, but not sure I’d take him over Rayner

1eyedog
10-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Stephenson at 1! Really?

josie
11-04-2019, 01:06 AM
Ripper!! Great news. Naughton and Daniels my new fave players now Picken has retired.

What a mature young man Naughton is too.

jeemak
11-04-2019, 04:02 AM
This is great. So so great.

G-Mo77
11-04-2019, 05:11 AM
AWESOME.

What news to wake up to this morning. I thought we were doomed when he signed that 1 year deal and was going to test the market. This is huge!!!

azabob
11-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Cam Rayner is an absolute jet. Toss of those coin out of Rayner and Naughton for number 1 spot.

azabob
11-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Cam Rayner is an absolute jet. Toss of those coin out of Rayner and Naughton for number 1 spot.

Mofra
11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

I love Rayner, he's going to be a beast. Basically a Stringer who trains properly.

Given Naughton is the most promising KPP I'v seen since Grant, I would still take Naughton at pick 1. He is absolutely vital to our list. Rayner may objectively end up a better player but Naughton will be more valuable to us than Rayner will be to Brisbane.

Mofra
11-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Just saw this - I'd easily take Rayner at no 2. Think he'll be a superstar.

TBH I think this could be the draft where every single player in the top 10 becomes a long term player. Normally a few drop off but every single one of them has shown something at the highest level.

Redone today Higgins must be in top ten calculations too. Genuine goal sense is gold in modern football.

Axe Man
11-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Western Bulldogs lock away emerging tall Aaron Naughton until 2024 (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/western-bulldogs-lock-away-emerging-tall-aaron-naughton-until-2024/news-story/40650d82e2619ddf43dc0d454fabd362)

Western Bulldogs have locked away the hottest emerging tall in the game with Aaron Naughton signing a long-term contract.

The Herald Sun can reveal Naughton — who was already contracted for 2020 — is now off limits until 2024 after penning a lucrative extension on Monday.

“It was an easy decision,” manager Andrew McDougall, of Corporate Sports, said.

“Aaron loves the Bulldogs and working with Bevo. He’s happy in Melbourne and really positive about where the club is going.”

The only AFL player contracted for longer is Richmond’s Tom Lynch, who is tied to Punt Rd until 2025.

Naughton’s housemate, fellow West Australian Tim English, is also settled and will look to extend his deal beyond 2020 later this season.

After vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli re-signed last November, Naughton’s signature loomed as one of the most important at Whitten Oval.

Naughton, 19, took a courageous pack mark while running back with the flight against Gold Coast on Sunday to give the Dogs a sniff in the tense final minutes.

It was the left-footed teenager’s 36th contested mark.

After 21 games Naughton has Lynch (35 contested marks), Joe Daniher (31), Tom Hawkins (25), Ben Brown (23), Jack Riewoldt (19), Lance Franklin and Josh Kennedy (both 12) all covered.

Naughton rents in Port Melbourne with English, 21, and Pat Lipinski, 20, and has family in Victoria.

The 91kg talent was drafted from Peel Thunder but grew up in Langwarrin.

Jonathan Brown rated Naughton’s debut season the best by a key-position player since Jesse Hogan, who won the 2015 Rising Star.

Naughton helped carry a depleted backline for the first half of 2018, finishing fourth in the best-and-fairest despite missing four games through injury.

Naughton then trained all pre-season in defence before premiership coach Luke Beveridge swung him forward for the final practice match.

Now Naughton appears likely to spend most of his career as an athletic goalkicker.

Teammate and former Tiger Sam Lloyd said Naughton shares “a lot of similar attributes” with Alex Rance.

“He’s got the best pair of dukes I’ve probably ever seen,” Lloyd said.

Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd praised Naughton’s improved kicking and ability to “control the air” after he booted 3.2 in Round 1.

The Dogs drafted 17-year-old Naughton at No.9 in 2017, their first top-10 pick since Bontempelli.

Former recruiter Simon Dalrymple rated Naughton the sixth-best player in the pool and early recasts have him as high as No.1.

List manager Sam Power said Naughton was already a “critical” player.

Power has recently re-signed reigning best-and-fairest Lachie Hunter (2024) and youngsters Lipinski (2021), Fergus Greene and Lachie Young (both 2020).

Premiership trio Tom Liberatore (free agent), Caleb Daniel and Josh Dunkley fall out of contract this year.

westdog54
11-04-2019, 10:49 AM
This is brilliant news.

Looking at that draft list again, we've made out like bandits getting Naughton at 8.

bornadog
11-04-2019, 10:51 AM
AS the article points out:

Contested marks after 21 games ...

AARON NAUGHTON 36
Tom Lynch 35
Joe Daniher 31
Tom Hawkins 25
Jack Riewoldt 19
Josh Kennedy 12

Make no mistake we have a beauty here

Testekill
11-04-2019, 10:53 AM
And to think, I was opposed to us recruiting Naughton because he was just a tall defender that couldn't kick. So happy to be proven wrong and so happy with his attacking the contest

Sedat
11-04-2019, 10:55 AM
That crappy Andrew McDougall steak knives trade back in 2006 has just paid off spectacularly.

Also St Kilda - Clark and Coffield lol

merantau
11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Great news. I love one grab players.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2019, 09:35 PM

It's a very good first round. We've done well, but a lot of clubs added quality. Too early to call, but North probably add Naughty in hindsight and benefit of knowing current injury woes.

Twodogs
11-04-2019, 10:19 PM
It's a very good first round. We've done well, but a lot of clubs added quality. Too early to call, but North probably add Naughty in hindsight and benefit of knowing current injury woes.

At first glance I'd have Naughton valued around pick 4-5 in that first round. He was exactly the type of player we needed and we made out like bandits getting him with pick 7.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Naughty sounds like a very humble young man. Very thankful to the doggies for drafting him. I like him.

mjp
12-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Tim Kelly says hi.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2019, 11:42 PM
We lack a consistent intercept defender. The obvious answer is to send Aaron back to defence to tighten it up.

But then we'd take a contested marking leading forward that can turn games. So we need to keep him forward.

What's the bigger value to the team until Tremgove or Boyd can demand a spot on form?

(P.s. We won't drop Wood to play Young, so it's not a real option)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-04-2019, 12:02 AM
We lack a consistent intercept defender. The obvious answer is to send Aaron back to defence to tighten it up.

But then we'd take a contested marking leading forward that can turn games. So we need to keep him forward.

What's the bigger value to the team until Tremgove or Boyd can demand a spot on form?

(P.s. We won't drop Wood to play Young, so it's not a real option)

If either Schache or Boyd could show just a modicum of the forward play talent at AFL level that they showed at junior level (or on Grand Final Day!) we could do this. Do you see it unfolding?.. Right now I don't.

comrade
13-04-2019, 12:03 AM
If either Schache or Boyd could show just a modicum of the forward play talent at AFL level that they showed at junior level (or on Grand Final Day!) we could do this. Do you see it unfolding?.. Right now I don't.

Boyd definitely not. Schache is still a chance.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2019, 12:57 AM
Lucky we signed last week. He just went up in value again tonight. Absolute gun.

ratsmac
13-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Lucky we signed last week. He just went up in value again tonight. Absolute gun.

I'm starting to think we didn't sign in for long enough!!!!

What a player we have on our hands!

macca
13-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Such great news and result that we have the best emerging KPP. Finally we get one ! I look forward to see more awesome stuff from this young man. So happy to hear this .

Bulldog4life
13-04-2019, 07:29 PM
And to think that his flying for marks will get better and better. Go you good thing Naughty.

ledge
14-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Seems a guy who doesn’t get injured either, not a soft body, he came out looking like the perfect specimen of an AFL footballer after pre season.
One thing pointed out was his speed isn’t very good, that’s not such an issue if you are that tall pack mark.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2019, 11:03 AM
As an aside, with his size, aggression and leap, why is Aaron not doing the relief ruck work?

Twodogs
14-04-2019, 11:38 AM
Tim Kelly says hi.

Do you mean the guy who copped a hard tag for the first time in his career yesterday and barely got a touch? If I were Geelong I'd be talking to West Coast about a transfer back to WA ASAP. Hes OK when he's allowed to run around by himself but put the slightest bit of pressure on him and he falls to pieces.

Remi Moses
14-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Do you mean the guy who copped a hard tag for the first time in his career yesterday and barely got a touch? If I were Geelong I'd be talking to West Coast about a transfer back to WA ASAP. Hes OK when he's allowed to run around by himself but put the slightest bit of pressure on him and he falls to pieces.

Think he’s carrying an ankle injury , but he battled yesterday

Eastdog
14-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Naught can certainly mark them. Good to find out that he is comfortable both behind and forward of the ball.

azabob
15-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Tim Kelly says hi.

Yes, Kelly is number 1.

My mistake was just looking at the list presented and not the entire draft list.

westdog54
15-04-2019, 09:04 AM
As an aside, with his size, aggression and leap, why is Aaron not doing the relief ruck work?

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that...

I think the answer there lies in the fact that Schache probably has the better tank to follow a ruckman around the ground, and that Naughton's hands are considered such a strong asset that they're wasted if not inside one of the arcs.

Twodogs
16-04-2019, 12:53 PM
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that...

I think the answer there lies in the fact that Schache probably has the better tank to follow a ruckman around the ground, and that Naughton's hands are considered such a strong asset that they're wasted if not inside one of the arcs.

Yep, agreed. We need him either at CHF or CHB and I'm also worried we could break him if we had huge opposition ruckmen sticking their knee and shoulder into him at each contest.

Twodogs
16-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Think he’s carrying an ankle injury , but he battled yesterday

Didn't know about the injury, cheers Remi.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Yep, agreed. We need him either at CHF or CHB and I'm also worried we could break him if we had huge opposition ruckmen sticking their knee and shoulder into him at each contest.

But Boyd & Schache early in their careers got the ruck treatment. Both aren't better for it. If this is a good policy (making top end KPP ruck) for the team and good for player development, then Naughton on precedent should be rucking. He won't of course.

bornadog
16-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Some Great marks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4s3JxOxCMA

bornadog
16-04-2019, 04:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzVAkPyUa3o

Twodogs
17-04-2019, 12:30 PM

My man crush on Suckling has gotten bigger watching that. At first I didn't realize that after he kicks it to Naughton that he then runs into the forward 50 to get the pass from Hunter. You can see him run, stop and call for the ball and then keep running deeper into attack before he gets the ball kicked to him.

Twodogs
17-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Some Great marks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4s3JxOxCMA

Moore was a bit stiff there. He had that mark signed and certified until Naughton comes from out of the sky to pluck it out of his hands.

bornadog
17-04-2019, 12:36 PM
Moore was a bit stiff there. He had that mark signed and certified until Naughton comes from out of the sky to pluck it out of his hands.

Naughton marks over 200cm Moore, 200cm Roughy and 199cm Schache

Twodogs
17-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Naughton marks over 200cm Moore, 200cm Roughy and 199cm Schache

The human step ladders!

Doc26
05-05-2019, 01:27 AM
What a back page to wake up to in the morning.

As they say, a week’s a long time in football.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sh7qxp3kylgcuvy/AstrNaught.jpg?raw=1

angelopetraglia
05-05-2019, 01:30 AM
Has to be the number #1 in his draft year now. Phenomenal.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2019, 01:32 AM
Unbelievable effort.

We can build a side around him.

ledge
05-05-2019, 01:34 AM

I’m guessing that’s his new nickname “astro”

Doc26
05-05-2019, 01:35 AM

And a perfect headline.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2019, 11:21 AM
What I found fascinating in his interview on the ground, he's still not sure if he's a forward or defender.

He's got 5 more seasons with us at a minimum to work it out.

comrade
05-05-2019, 11:29 AM
What I found fascinating in his interview on the ground, he's still not sure if he's a forward or defender.

He's got 5 more seasons with us at a minimum to work it out.

Hopefully in a few years:

“Well, when we won the flag in 2020 & 2021 after making All Australian and winning a Coleman both years, I kind of wanted a challenge so I spoke with Bevo before the season and we agreed I could move back to defence and now we’re 3 time premiers and I’m a Brownlow winning CHB. Funny how footy works out”

Twodogs
05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Hopefully in a few years:

“Well, when we won the flag in 2020 & 2021 after making All Australian and winning a Coleman both years, I kind of wanted a challenge so I spoke with Bevo before the season and we agreed I could move back to defence and now we’re 3 time premiers and I’m a Brownlow winning CHB. Funny how footy works out”

"I'd just like to thank Chris Grant for all the sensible advice he gave me, it's not often that you get access to a bloke who was cheated out of two Brownlows during his playing career and helped with advice so that it didn't happen to me. He gave me such good advice that I ended up giving him one of my medals. I ****ing love this club and the day they drafted me is the greatest day of my life!"

ledge
05-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Kind of ironic one Winx retires and another is born.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Heard Brian Taylor put things in perspective today:

“Naughton is only 19 and has already had two contract extensions, one last year, one this year.”

Not even Chris Grant could claim that. Nor can Grant claim to have the most contested marks for the club either...

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Who was our last player over 195cm to kick five goals? I thought it was Hall but he's only 194cm, which is admittedly semantics but also is already a long as hell time ago.

Darcy in 2005? Skipper? Been a LONG time coming.

ratsmac
06-05-2019, 12:13 AM
We saw straight away we had stuck gold with Naughton last year and it took the so called experts 23 rounds to give him a NAB rising star nomination. Basically ruling him out of any real chance of winning it. Well the egg is on their faces now.

He's definitely the pick of that draft so far. I'm looking forward to many more performances like Saturday night for many more years.

Rocket Science
06-05-2019, 12:20 AM
Who was our last player over 195cm to kick five goals? I thought it was Hall but he's only 194cm, which is admittedly semantics but also is already a long as hell time ago.

Might even be Rawlings in his debut.

What a harbinger of things to come that wasn't.

GVGjr
06-05-2019, 02:52 AM

I think Skipper was only 193cm tall FWIW

kruder
06-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Bont was saying on 7 that he has a little swagger. A professional kid like him with swagger? Yes Please!

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 09:22 AM
His value must be soaring (pardon the pun). A masterstroke by Power to sign him up early for an additional 4 years. At least 4 more years of watching this kid fly. Gee we have some young talent in Naughton, English and Smith. Thrown in the likes of Bont and Macrae and that is a core team for the next 7 or 8 years.

AshMac
06-05-2019, 09:33 AM
His value must be soaring (pardon the pun). A masterstroke by Power to sign him up early for an additional 4 years. At least 4 more years of watching this kid fly. Gee we have some young talent in Naughton, English and Smith. Thrown in the likes of Bont and Macrae and that is a core team for the next 7 or 8 years.

I was chatting about exactly this on the walk to the car from the ground.

Who are the core players we build the team around?

To me there is a standout 3 - Bont, Naughton and English (if thier development continues as expected). Outside of that we have a string of players that can bob up and win it off thier own boot - Macrae, Daniel, Libba - and players that are capable of “elite” games - Dunkley, McLean, maybe wally.

Those first 3 are the core IMO.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 09:41 AM
A lot of people questioned Bevo on moving Naughton up forward, but after Saturday night, we must admit Bevo was right.

comrade
06-05-2019, 09:51 AM
A lot of people questioned Bevo on moving Naughton up forward, but after Saturday night, we must admit Bevo was right.

Yeah he has to stay forward for good now but that means our defence lacks a long term option. We need to go hard during the trade period to find our guy.

Jones or Hamling would be handy right now.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 09:52 AM
Yeah he has to stay forward for good now but that means our defence lacks a long term option. We need to go hard during the trade period to find our guy.

Young needs to step up.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Young needs to step up.

Our VFL ruckman? :D

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 10:00 AM

too right BAD. I was in the category to keep Naughton as a backman - we often criticise the coaching team but all kudos to them to be able to identify that the kid is a forward genius.

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 10:03 AM

It is a pity that our coaching staff at the time did not identify that Jones would be a handy backman. I remember reading on WOOF from a few posters (pretty sure it was Dry Rot and maybe TD) that Jones had the traits of a backman and we should try him there. Bolton hasn't got many things right but this is definitely one of them.

comrade
06-05-2019, 10:25 AM
It is a pity that our coaching staff at the time did not identify that Jones would be a handy backman. I remember reading on WOOF from a few posters (pretty sure it was Dry Rot and maybe TD) that Jones had the traits of a backman and we should try him there. Bolton hasn't got many things right but this is definitely one of them.

There's no doubt that Bevo would have at least given him a crack in defence if Jones was still on the list when he took over, but on the flip side, we brought in the little maestro CD with the pick we received. I think both clubs can be pretty satisfied with the outcome.

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 10:46 AM
There's no doubt that Bevo would have at least given him a crack in defence if Jones was still on the list when he took over, but on the flip side, we brought in the little maestro CD with the pick we received. I think both clubs can be pretty satisfied with the outcome.

Absolutely and there is more upside to CD.

Testekill
06-05-2019, 10:53 AM

Yeah it should have been more obvious that Jones was not a natural forward and should have been trained as a defender.

comrade
06-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Yeah it should have been more obvious that Jones was not a natural forward and should have been trained as a defender.

Running under the ball and trying to mark everything on his chest was a dead giveaway.

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Interesting article from the west. I didn't realise Naughton played for Fremantle's feeder club. Hindsight and all that but just tells you how important recruiters are to a team.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western-bulldogs/braden-quartermaine-aaron-naughton-rockets-into-fame-with-high-flying-presence-ng-b881188820z

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Interesting article from the west. I didn't realise Naughton played for Fremantle's feeder club. Hindsight and all that but just tells you how important recruiters are to a team.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western-bulldogs/braden-quartermaine-aaron-naughton-rockets-into-fame-with-high-flying-presence-ng-b881188820z

Love it. We often talk about the ones that got away but it is wonderful to read about the talent we were able to snare before others (particularly as he was a late top 10 draft pick). Well done to our talent scouts.

comrade
06-05-2019, 12:35 PM
The hype train is in full motion, but I’m going to reel in my expectations. I think there will be plenty of Carlton/Freo performances to come this year but it’s damn nice to know he has a level that completely takes over games. Very few key forwards can do it, let alone a 19 year old.

Bulldog4life
06-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Our VFL ruckman? :D

A friend of mine went and said he played well as a follower. Huge spring too when rucking.

azabob
06-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Sounds counter intuitive but playing forward also helps exposing his greatest weaknesses which is field kicking.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Captaincy material? Well anyone that winks at a team mate before kicking the goal is a leader in my book. And what a night to do it, the first night Ch7 were giving away a $8,000 TV to the BOG. Must be good to be Naught about now.

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 01:50 PM
One of our posters on the 24-11-17 stated this:

"I think he is a defender but he has footy smarts and could become a forward."

Anyone guess (and it definitely wasn't me). Certainly proven to be a good call.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 02:13 PM
one of our posters on the 24-11-17 stated this:

"i think he is a defender but he has footy smarts and could become a forward."

anyone guess (and it definitely wasn't me). Certainly proven to be a good call.

mjp?

bornadog
06-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Sounds counter intuitive but playing forward also helps exposing his greatest weaknesses which is field kicking.

I think he is a good kick. That one where he kicked into the forward LIne with Gowers and Bont waiting there was a beauty.

comrade
06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
I think he is a good kick. That one where he kicked into the forward LIne with Gowers and Bont waiting there was a beauty.

His long kicking is fine, but I wouldn't trust him to find a 20-30m target under a bit of pressure. His ball drop and overall technique lends itself better to long bombs and set shots.

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
mjp?

It was GvGjr.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Captaincy material? Well anyone that winks at a team mate before kicking the goal is a leader in my book. And what a night to do it, the first night Ch7 were giving away a $8,000 TV to the BOG. Must be good to be Naught about now.

https://im4.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif-4-60e6dfadcf51.gif

bornadog
06-05-2019, 02:26 PM
It was GvGjr

Haha, I was going to say that but changed my mind.

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Love it. We often talk about the ones that got away but it is wonderful to read about the talent we were able to snare before others (particularly as he was a late top 10 draft pick). Well done to our talent scouts.

And to think the Dockers had 2 and 5 and used it on two Victorians...before Stephenson and Naughton.

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 02:38 PM
The hype train is in full motion, but I’m going to reel in my expectations. I think there will be plenty of Carlton/Freo performances to come this year but it’s damn nice to know he has a level that completely takes over games. Very few key forwards can do it, let alone a 19 year old.
Lids been blown off by the Astro Naught. I'm keeping it off. Sing while you're winning :cool:

Ghost Dog
06-05-2019, 03:09 PM

8000 dollar TV? What does it do. Fill your beers and give you a back rub?

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 03:16 PM

He lives with English and Lipinski so he will be very popular.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2019, 03:17 PM

And some.

mjp
06-05-2019, 03:57 PM
mjp?

It sure as hell wasn't me.

I said I wouldn't draft him because his field kicking was so 50-50.

mjp
06-05-2019, 03:58 PM
And to think the Dockers had 2 and 5 and used it on two Victorians...before Stephenson and Naughton.

Freo don't draft WA kids (under the current regime).

comrade
06-05-2019, 04:00 PM

What are your thoughts now? Worthy of the hype, or expectations need tempering?

bornadog
06-05-2019, 04:04 PM

I only guessed you because he was playing in WA

mjp
06-05-2019, 04:17 PM
I only guessed you because he was playing in WA

Don't worry. I said don't draft Bont as well. Slow, soft and too outside. I was assured he had improved AFTER the carnival during his draft year but was not keen at pick 4.

mjp
06-05-2019, 04:21 PM
What are your thoughts now? Worthy of the hype, or expectations need tempering?

Well, he just set the record for the number of contested marks in a game at age 19.

If that isn't worth of hype, well, nothing is. You could temper it and say he wasn't playing on 'anyone' (which is true) but he won a helluva lot of the footy...if only he could have grabbed a couple the week before (don't talk about holding, that's what happens to key forwards) we might have pinched that one as well.

I will keep saying it. We have a VERY TALENTED SIDE. Performances by our leaders similar to those that were dished up against Carlton are 100% unacceptable. We can and should beat the Lions this week.

hujsh
06-05-2019, 04:30 PM
Is there a partial expectation that they can lure the WA kids back?

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 04:53 PM

Why is that ?

mjp
06-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Why is that ?

No idea. It’s frustrating though.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msa94Z8NuW0

GVGjr
06-05-2019, 07:36 PM
One of our posters on the 24-11-17 stated this:

"I think he is a defender but he has footy smarts and could become a forward."

Anyone guess (and it definitely wasn't me). Certainly proven to be a good call.

Sometimes betting each way works :)

Twodogs
06-05-2019, 07:52 PM

And ironically Jones and Daniel end up playing pretty much the same position! Jones looks happier sitting under a long bomb alongside the opposition monster but I'd rather CD have the ball in his hand running out of defence.

No happy ending though.

They are going to regret that.

bulldogsfight
06-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Is there a partial expectation that they can lure the WA kids back?

Got told yesterday that he came from Frankston and family moved to wa

Axe Man
07-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Got told yesterday that he came from Frankston and family moved to wa

Yes it was mentioned in numerous articles when he was drafted that he was born in Victoria. He actually stated pre-draft that he preferred to come to Melbourne than be drafted by Freo (we will ignore the fact that he said he would like to go to Collingwood). Luckily they went for Stephenson and we got a star that is unlikely to want to return west.

1eyedog
07-05-2019, 10:31 AM

How many times have you watched this? I think I'm on 30 or something.

Smads57
07-05-2019, 10:41 AM

I reckon I’d be a close second if you’re around the 30 mark!

comrade
07-05-2019, 10:45 AM

This is obviously the eye catching one but my favourite was the one where he lead hard and shunted the defender with a perfectly timed bump. That was money.

bornadog
07-05-2019, 12:53 PM

LOst count.

I actually liked his marking v Collingwood, but the media are numskulls and don't even look at the kid till we win.

bornadog
07-05-2019, 01:01 PM
I love this one. See where he runs from and flies over Roughead and Darcy both 200cm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4s3JxOxCMA&t=115s

1eyedog
07-05-2019, 01:34 PM
This is obviously the eye catching one but my favourite was the one where he lead hard and shunted the defender with a perfectly timed bump. That was money.

Yeah it was big man in town stuff.

bornadog
07-05-2019, 02:03 PM
All the marks from Saturday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaDKMZEXKZQ

westdog54
07-05-2019, 02:52 PM

He's right at the peak of his climb when he takes the ball. The leap was timed to perfection.

Did we mention this kid is only 19 at any stage? I still can't believe it no matter how much I read it.

bornadog
07-05-2019, 03:50 PM
https://scontent.fmel2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/59965380_321863508497611_4980397119564152832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1 07&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel2-1.fna&oh=58ac88b6209a03f085bc0f47d1ca1a08&oe=5D5B9B64

AshMac
08-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Loads of chat this week about Naughton.

- On Sunday morning he was called the best young forward in the comp
- Sunday evening Campbell Brown called him the best young player in the comp (dont rate him)
- Last night Jonathan Brown said it was the best marking performance he has ever seen - grew up watching Duck
AND THIS MORNING - Bob Murphy said "I'm not getting carried away, but I think he will be better than Nick Riewoldt" on SEN

Loved his game on Saturday like everyone else, really keen to see him develop and continue to back it up!

azabob
08-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Guaranteed to get zero kicks and marks this week!

GVGjr
08-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Guaranteed to get zero kicks and marks this week!

Bevo will play him on a wing

hujsh
08-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Have we tried him as a ruck?

bornadog
08-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Did any one catch him on Fox Footy tonight on the programme called On The Mark? For a 19 year old speaks so well, and seems like a nice person as well.

Twodogs
09-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Have we tried him as a ruck?

Of course we have. He's also started as part of our midfield rotation as well.

Remi Moses
09-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Going to be a gun
Just don’t expect a 19 year old to play lights out every week

1eyedog
09-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Must of git him for a steal at 4 years as well. Perfect timing kudos to SP.

GVGjr
09-05-2019, 12:06 PM
As BAD mentioned, he's a wonderfully mature youngster who conducts himself like a seasoned professional

We have done well to secure him for the next 4 years and hopefully he this is the start of a long journey and he will be a 250 game plus player for us.

AshMac
09-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Really is amazing what contested marking does to a team. The difference between looking in control and constantly fighting for it at ground level or on the turnover.

With roughy gone I thought it’s something we’ve lacked this year.

Twodogs
09-05-2019, 11:02 PM
As BAD mentioned, he's a wonderfully mature youngster who conducts himself like a seasoned professional

We have done well to secure him for the next 4 years and hopefully he this is the start of a long journey and he will be a 250 game plus player for us.

Don't forget 3 or 4 premierships to go with those 250 games.

Mofra
12-05-2019, 12:28 AM
On the basis of the last two weeks he's probably earned himself an extra $50k pa from our marketing allowance.

Love the way you just can't take your eyes off him when the ball is kicked in his direction. Today was as important as last week for his career - he learned he can fight his way through a lean couple of quarters and still have a massive influence on a game.

Bulldog4life
12-05-2019, 02:16 PM
On the basis of the last two weeks he's probably earned himself an extra $50k pa from our marketing allowance.

Love the way you just can't take your eyes off him when the ball is kicked in his direction. Today was as important as last week for his career - he learned he can fight his way through a lean couple of quarters and still have a massive influence on a game.

He will be a real million dollar forward for us.

whythelongface
12-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Really good point Mofra. When things aren’t going your way it really is important to continue to work hard and tough it out. Naughton did this really well and made an important contribution to our win.

bornadog
13-05-2019, 06:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbJ5qNhixwA