PDA

View Full Version : Go you mighty Tricolours!

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 04:19 PM
History questions:

*Why and when did we change from the Tricolours to the Bulldogs? (Given it is no more abstract a name than 'The Blues'.) Was the letter-writing public up in arms over this change to the club's name??:)

*How did we end up with the Red, White and Blue? Were we a particularly royalist/english oriented club at some point?

Shorty

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Good questions. I'm sure some of the historians here can answer them ;)

Cyberdoggie
12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
History questions:

*Why and when did we change from the Tricolours to the Bulldogs? (Given it is no more abstract a name than 'The Blues'.) Was the letter-writing public up in arms over this change to the club's name??:)

*How did we end up with the Red, White and Blue? Were we a particularly royalist/english oriented club at some point?

Shorty

i'm sure i've been told at some point but i've forgotten now.
Is it in the book?

i don't think you can get any more english than having red, white and blue and a british bulldog as your mascot.

if we were a rooster then perhaps we'd all be wearing beret's instead of beanies to the footy.

Twodogs
12-02-2008, 06:04 PM
History questions:

Shorty

1/ The 1930s-a supporter used to lead the ream out with a bulldog and the name stuck. The association goes back further to the 1920s though, in Unleashed there ar stories about premiership celebrations (siiiiiigh-imagine what they're like?) where they drank toasts to the 'bulldog spirit'.

2/ The red, white and blue only have a passing association with Engishness. During the Zulu wars in the 1880s, the French Prince Imperial served with the British army. He was killed when the scouting party he was with was ambushed by Zulus. The colours are actually taken from the French flag Le Tricolore as a mark of respect to him.

Maybe we should be wearing berets and reading Camus?

bornadog
12-02-2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.fnwb.com.au/earlyhistory.php

This link will give you some history. The club is over 120 years old, although there is some dispute about whether it was established in the 1870's or 1880's. As for the jumper colours, we started with blue and white and added red in 1886. http://www.fnwb.com.au/mero.php

Interestingly Collingwood started with red white and blue and were forced to change when they joined the VFA in the 1890's.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Interestingly Collingwood started with red white and blue and were forced to change when they joined the VFA in the 1890's.

Really? Very interesting, especially given the saga with Port Adelaide, whom possibly started wearing the White and Black stripes before them.

bornadog
12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Really? Very interesting, especially given the saga with Port Adelaide, whom possibly started wearing the White and Black stripes before them.

Yes its true. I believe Port wore black and white many years earlier than Collingwood.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes its true. I believe Port wore black and white many years earlier than Collingwood.

I might try and convince my Collingwood supporting mate of this fact. But you know what their like... :D

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:02 PM
1/ The 1930s-a supporter used to lead the ream out with a bulldog and the name stuck. The association goes back further to the 1920s though, in Unleashed there ar stories about premiership celebrations (siiiiiigh-imagine what they're like?) where they drank toasts to the 'bulldog spirit'.

2/ The red, white and blue only have a passing association with Engishness. During the Zulu wars in the 1880s, the French Prince Imperial served with the British army. He was killed when the scouting party he was with was ambushed by Zulus. The colours are actually taken from the French flag Le Tricolore as a mark of respect to him.

I'm going to start smoking Gauloises at half time.

Thanks for the history lesson, though it still doesn't make sense to me why we celebrated a French Prince in an Australian game. Curious how the bulldog metaphor has come to match our fortunes and style of play so closely for so long. Why aren't we still leading a bulldog out with the players?

The Salt Water Lads has a great ring to it. Go the salties.

Twodogs
13-02-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm going to start smoking Gauloises at half time.

Thanks for the history lesson, though it still doesn't make sense to me why we celebrated a French Prince in an Australian game. Curious how the bulldog metaphor has come to match our fortunes and style of play so closely for so long. Why aren't we still leading a bulldog out with the players?

The Salt Water Lads has a great ring to it. Go the salties.

Unlike him I guess his legacy was in the right place at the right time. Just kind of sitting there waiting for some patriotic organisation to pick it up and run with it. I suppose he died fighting in a British war and it had added significance because he was a prince and all so that was good enough for the founders of the club who I'd imagine would have been Anglophiles.

I do like the Salties name though. sounds a bit like a potato chip or something.

Mmmmmm. Salty potato chips...

westdog54
13-02-2008, 01:17 AM

I believe that this was originally 'by accident'.

The Underdog
14-02-2008, 11:58 AM

What do you mean should?

Makes that Paris St Germain jersey I've got slightly less ridiculous...slightly

alwaysadog
19-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Sacre bleu

ledge
19-02-2008, 03:46 PM
and our theme song the french national anthem! Peter Sellers dressed up as a pink panther our mascot!

The Underdog
19-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Maybe we could play a home game in Paris, beats Canberra hands down.
By the way there's another team that already has the French national anthem as their theme. You might have heard it in 2001,2002 & 2003, around late September.

bornadog
19-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Maybe we could play a home game in Paris, beats Canberra hands down.
By the way there's another team that already has the French national anthem as their theme. You might have heard it in 2001,2002 & 2003, around late September.

yes they stole it from one of the original VFA Clubs and it sounded better under them.

The Underdog
19-02-2008, 05:45 PM
yes they stole it from one of the original VFA Clubs and it sounded better under them.

Had much better lyrics...

alwaysadog
19-02-2008, 06:28 PM
and our theme song the french national anthem! Peter Sellers dressed up as a pink panther our mascot!

and lashings of free french wine for long term supporters

Twodogs
20-02-2008, 11:02 AM
and lashings of free french wine for long term supporters

We should have that unbelievably good looking female French newsreader as our #1 member.

FrediKanoute
20-02-2008, 10:17 PM
The French influence huh? To think, our emblem could have been a cockeril. How awful would that be Fredi???:D

That would have been great! Would have explained the decision to support Spurs much more easier to explain to people!!!!