PDA

View Full Version : Three things I have learned-round 4 v Collingwood

Twodogs
12-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Tell us three things you have learned tonight.

GVGjr
12-04-2019, 10:45 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
12-04-2019, 11:15 PM
1. Crozier is comfortably our best medium/tall defender. He's the new 2016 Easton Wood, takes hangers, intercept marks, smothers, tackles, runs hard all day.
2. English played on the best ruck and acquitted himself well. Was never going to win the hit outs, but racked up some good marks and disposals numbers around the ground with a direct goal assist.
3. 17th in the Comp for goal kicking accuracy is shitful. But we are consistent year in and year out with no signs things will change.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2019, 11:22 PM
1. Until we reign in our turnovers, we will never be the team we should
2. until we capitalise better on the plethora of opportunities we create, we will never be the team we should.
3. If Naughton can influence as a tall, regularly as a 2nd year tall, why do we give Schache a pass to be so timid?

AshMac
13-04-2019, 12:20 AM
1. Tim English was outstanding for where he is in his career. A full game effort against the best ruck in the comp by far. Competed well in 3.5 qtrs, took marks, played well at ground level and competed admirably
2. Bailey Smith is getting better each week. Still looks rushed when he has the footy but he’s slowly looking more composed and imposing himself more
3. Bont is leading the brownlow at this stage of the year. Long year but outstanding to date

Remi Moses
13-04-2019, 12:26 AM
1. The forward 40 is just doing my head in . The entry and when it gets in.
Just Fix it FFS ! Enough !
2 . Apparently according to the experts on social media Bont is overrated! Just shows how many dimwits are on that forum
3 . Brian Taylor is a complete idiot , but we already knew that

angelopetraglia
13-04-2019, 12:39 AM
1. Naughton surprised me again. How good is he? He could be anything?

2. Crozier. Apologies for bagging you early last year. Just keeps getting better and that mark was out of this world and it was right in front of us.

3. We are dysfunctional across half forward. Shocking decision making. We need a genuine crumbing small forward.

westdog54
13-04-2019, 07:06 AM
1. We made out like bandits drafting Naughton and Smith where we did.
2. There's not much Crozier can't do.
3. I don't know who, but there NEEDS to be changes this week.

merantau
13-04-2019, 07:09 AM
1. Crozier. I owe him an apology. I bagged him early on. But he is a Damn good player.
2 The Bont has been our best player this year and he kept us in the game.
3 We need to improve our delivery inside 50.

ledge
13-04-2019, 11:07 AM
I learnt Bont is a gun but at the moment his flaw is his goal kicking, if he kicks the ones he is supposed to we win both games.
2 He isn’t the only one missing easy goals.
3 We have some very good players on the way up.

ratsmac
13-04-2019, 11:37 AM
2. English played on the best ruck and acquitted himself well. Was never going to win the hit outs, but racked up some good marks and disposals numbers around the ground with a direct goal assist.

1. Tim English was outstanding for where he is in his career. A full game effort against the best ruck in the comp by far. Competed well in 3.5 qtrs, took marks, played well at ground level and competed admirably

It's good to see English getting some acknowledgement here. I thought he fought hard through what would've been a humiliating smashing in the hitouts, especially when your ideal position is the ruckman and your getting beaten time and tume again. English never dropped his head once and started to influence the game around the ground where he could. Grundy was awesome but with that much dominance in the hitouts his midfielders didn't have it all their way. Grundy had a 8 tackles which is outstanding for a ruckman but again to Tim's credit he had 6 tackles. English deserves credit where credit is due even when he was soundly defeated in the hitouts.

ratsmac
13-04-2019, 11:46 AM
1. It's a game like that you can't afford not one passenger let alone two. I'm looking at you Schache and Gowers. Just something out of these two and we win.

2. Naughton's confidence is growing by the minute. He is going to be something really special and soon.

3. We are not that far off being a genuine top 8 contender, but until we get our conversation rate where it should be we will continue to come up short.

1eyedog
13-04-2019, 12:00 PM
1. Dicko is effective in space and a beautiful kick but he's lost touch in close in pressure situations. Scrambled a number of opportunities to score throughout the match. Lippa needs to come in for him.

2. We are a top 8 team.

3. Bailey Smith moves like a young Brad Johnson out there.

1eyedog
13-04-2019, 12:03 PM
It's good to see English getting some acknowledgement here. I thought he fought hard through what would've been a humiliating smashing in the hitouts, especially when your ideal position is the ruckman and your getting beaten time and tume again. English never dropped his head once and started to influence the game around the ground where he could. Grundy was awesome but with that much dominance in the hitouts his midfielders didn't have it all their way. Grundy had a 8 tackles which is outstanding for a ruckman but again to Tim's credit he had 6 tackles. English deserves credit where credit is due even when he was soundly defeated in the hitouts.

Agreed obviously Bevo wants him as another mid and not as a tap ruckman and he was that for us last night. Pleasing.

boydogs
13-04-2019, 12:07 PM

If the rucks were swapped we win that game by 4 goals, but Tim did do well around the ground and had more marks

angelopetraglia
13-04-2019, 12:14 PM
If the rucks were swapped we win that game by 4 goals, but Tim did do well around the ground and had more marks

Agree. We worked hard to negate the dominance in hit outs but it must take a lot of extra effort when you are on the back foot at every single ruck contest. The clearances were even all game until late. It definitely took its toll.

But Tim showed some grit all night. He is 100% the right long term prospect.

Bulldog4life
13-04-2019, 12:34 PM
1. Crozier is playing the best footy of his career. Important player for us. The mark of the year too.
2. Tim fought on and was good around the ground. Definitely should have received free kicks when he was regularly illegally pushed out of the way by Grundy during the throw ins.
3. Schache has to assert himself on the contest a lot more. This is holding him back big time.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-04-2019, 01:58 PM
1. Hard to win when we were effectively two key forwards short in Schache and Gowers
2. Inspite of Grundy’s ruck dominance Bont Libba and Macrae were superb in the midfield
3. We played one key defender short which proved costly in the end

BornInDroopSt'54
13-04-2019, 03:06 PM
1. Daniel works in different dimensions to everyone else.
2. Crozier played with real heart and commitment, not to mention professionalism, my man, clubman.
3. The Bont reminded me of Ted Whitten in that he is a constant presence, with maximum skilled application to every contest to give us advantage. He is prepared to carry the team.

GVGjr
13-04-2019, 04:38 PM
All, I've cleaned up a non footy discussion that really isn't relevant to the the thread or last nights game.

Send me a PM if you want to discuss that decision.

josie
13-04-2019, 05:31 PM
1. Dicko is effective in space and a beautiful kick but he's lost touch in close in pressure situations. Scrambled a number of opportunities to score throughout the match. Lippa needs to come in for him.

2. We are a top 8 team.

3. Bailey Smith moves like a young Brad Johnson out there.

Totally with you on pt 3. Bailey looks and moves like Brad. We’ve got a beaut player who will get the best out of himself.

Mofra
13-04-2019, 05:36 PM
1. Bailey Smith looks more comfortable every week

2. Naughton is the best young KPP in the competition. I would not swap him for any tall on an AFL list right now

3. Schache disappears under any sign of pressure. I'm worried he's the type that doesn't fire a shot during finals.

PS - Still love you Roughy, even in that hideous jumper.

Dancin' Douggy
13-04-2019, 09:31 PM
1. Bailey Smith will be a star.
2. Aaron Naughton will be a star.
3. Bontempelli is a supernova

Ghost Dog
14-04-2019, 03:35 AM
1. We can get smashed in the ruck and still do ok. Amazing
2. Good depth in our side. Better than I thought at the start of the season.
3. Tim English's confidence has to be carefully monitored. It's ok to throw him in and say it's a learning exercise but if he gets smashed weekly I don't think it's a good thing. Someone else just has to assist.

westdog54
14-04-2019, 08:10 AM
1. We can get smashed in the ruck and still do ok. Amazing
2. Good depth in our side. Better than I thought at the start of the season.
3. Tim English's confidence has to be carefully monitored. It's ok to throw him in and say it's a learning exercise but if he gets smashed weekly I don't think it's a good thing. Someone else just has to assist.

As long as his expectations are made clear internally and he's getting assurances that he's doing what's asked of him and more, he'll be fine. I can only hope that this is the case.

ledge
14-04-2019, 09:42 AM
I actually think it was Tim’s break out game, although he didn’t win the ruck he learnt a lot from Grundy and definitely got into the game when the ball was on the ground, he seemed to start fitting in with the team, handballs , marks etc, he has massive legs but it’s just his top half strength letting him down at the moment, I see that being worked on next pre season and then he will start pushing Grundy around a lot more.

Twodogs
14-04-2019, 12:11 PM
I actually think it was Tim’s break out game, although he didn’t win the ruck he learnt a lot from Grundy and definitely got into the game when the ball was on the ground, he seemed to start fitting in with the team, handballs , marks etc, he has massive legs but it’s just his top half strength letting him down at the moment, I see that being worked on next pre season and then he will start pushing Grundy around a lot more.

He learned a lot as the game went on to the extent that he wasn't really jumping at ruck contests in the last quarter but remained on his feet and tackled or blocked or dispossessed any Collingwood player that got the ball. Tim is one of the cleverest big guys I have seen and will be a superstar.

1. Tim English has a touch of Scott Wynd about him.
2. You can touch the ball after its crossed the goalline and somehow its still a behind! That Aaron Naughton linecall was one of the worst guesses (it didn't deserve to be called a decision) I have ever seen an umpire make.
3. Ed Richards needs a rest.

AshMac
15-04-2019, 09:26 AM
As long as his expectations are made clear internally and he's getting assurances that he's doing what's asked of him and more, he'll be fine. I can only hope that this is the case.

Yeh I agree w you. Surely the coaches knew what was going to happen and they managed his expectations, the midfields and game plan around it.

Great point earlier too about Bevo expecting English to be another mid - he plays like that in his follow up actions. Really exciting young prospect.

whythelongface
15-04-2019, 11:54 AM
1/ We can compete with the top teams. Don't think we played that well but we could have won the game had we been able to nail our shots (same old story). Average of 30 games difference between the Pies and us.

2/ Naughton is special. How he launches into the pack is unbelievable.

3/ Consistency in our forward line is our biggest issue. Schache and Gowers have shown glimpses but until they show consistency we will fail to produce winning scores.