PDA

View Full Version : Suddenly, there's lots of Buddy trade talk

Dry Rot
18-04-2019, 12:08 AM
On forums and the media.

Why?

See https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/why-buddy-franklin-is-almost-untradeable-20190417-p51f3r.html

Why write such a article?

bulldogtragic
18-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Weird article.

Me guesses this is a fishing exercise, at arms length. Surely there’s no team dumb enough though.

GVGjr
18-04-2019, 12:45 AM
I'd guess that it's because of a few reasons:

1 - The Swans poor start
2 - A realization that the enormity of his contract is now staring to bite
3 - A wish to transition the AFL to an almost NBA type sport where blockbuster trades for star players is the norm

I can't see why any club would offer a big enough contract financially or offer two first round picks to land him

Dry Rot
18-04-2019, 12:46 AM
Weird article.

Me guesses this is a fishing exercise, at arms length. Surely there’s no team dumb enough though.

If you are correct, interesting media manipulation there.

This article actually followed similar talk on BigFooty, which obviously can be crap more than half the time.

Just funny it's all sprung up now.

Dry Rot
18-04-2019, 12:48 AM
I'd guess that it's because of a few reasons:

1 - The Swans poor start
2 - A realization that the enormity of his contract is now staring to bite
3 - A wish to transition the AFL to an almost NBA type sport where blockbuster trades for star players is the norm

I can't see why any club would offer a big enough contract financially or offer two first round picks to land him

Could you see the reverse? ie a desperate Swans giving a good draft pick and some salary to get rid of him?

I just find it strange - Buddy is really important to the Swans re marketing.

Or Buddy physically is really on the way out?

GVGjr
18-04-2019, 01:05 AM
Could you see the reverse? ie a desperate Swans giving a good draft pick and some salary to get rid of him?

I just find it strange - Buddy is really important to the Swans re marketing.

Or Buddy physically is really on the way out?

No I can't see that. At best they could pay some of his salary but that defeats the purpose of trying to free up cap space

Dry Rot
18-04-2019, 01:06 AM
No I can't see that. At best they could pay some of his salary but that defeats the purpose of trying to free up cap space

Fair enough. I just find the sudden interest in this subject strange.

bornadog
18-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Didn't it all start up when someone mentioned it on one of the footy shows?

mjp
18-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Are you saying we could get Buddy???

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 04:55 PM
Didn't it all start up when someone mentioned it on one of the footy shows?

Tony Shaw said it first I understand

Ghost Dog
18-04-2019, 09:26 PM
But for a rolled ankle, 2016 could have been different. He is one of the greats.

Jeanette54
18-04-2019, 09:44 PM
One on one Buddy can do some awesome individual things, but forward pressure, and running both ways just isn't in his repertoire. Somehow I think the need for team acts has always escaped him Also as you say GVG jnr, his marketing value to the Swans would make it difficult to justify trading him at any price.

Twodogs
19-04-2019, 12:04 PM
One on one Buddy can do some awesome individual things, but forward pressure, and running both ways just isn't in his repertoire. Somehow I think the need for team acts has always escaped him Also as you say GVG jnr, his marketing value to the Swans would make it difficult to justify trading him at any price.

And for a bloke who relies on one on one and out positioning his direct opponent Buddy is an appalling overhead mark. Its lucky that he does half a dozen other things at an elite level because if his bread and butter was just marking the footy and taking set shots then wed have never have heard of him.

chef
20-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Yeah no thanks for me for Buddy, last guy I'd want hanging around our kids.

Maybe he'll end up at the Sainters so he and Hannebery can get up the their usual stuff.

Bulldog Joe
21-04-2019, 03:59 AM

Maybe he'll end up at the Sainters so he and Hannebery can get up the their usual stuff.

Surely any trade for Buddy has to be Bombers.
Trade Week is their specialty.

Bulldog Joe
21-04-2019, 04:00 AM

Surely any trade for Buddy has to be Bombers.
Trade Week is their specialty.

GVGjr
21-04-2019, 11:19 AM
He moved up there to get away from the media bubble of Melbourne. His wife has a thriving career there as well

His chances of finding another home because of the size his contract are slim and then there are doubts that he would want to move either. I think all clubs would be best served by leaving him there and letting the size of his contract eat intro the options available to Sydney.

He'd be a risky acquisition anyway at this late stage of his outstanding career. If he couldn't deliver Sydney a flag I doubt he could for another side give some of his injury niggles.6

Twodogs
21-04-2019, 12:54 PM
He moved up there to get away from the media bubble of Melbourne. His wife has a thriving career there as well

His chances of finding another home because of the size his contract are slim and then there are doubts that he would want to move either. I think all clubs would be best served by leaving him there and letting the size of his contract eat intro the options available to Sydney.

He'd be a risky acquisition anyway at this late stage of his outstanding career. If he couldn't deliver Sydney a flag I doubt he could for another side give some of his injury niggles.

He has been barely able to walk let alone run in the first few games this year. Why would any club (apart from Essendon) piss their future away and give up draft picks for him?

This is just media driven rubbish. In

Remi Moses
21-04-2019, 01:02 PM
This is the biggest media non story
He won’t be going anywhere