PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors: Round 5, 2019 vs Carlton

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 10:15 AM
This is the round 5, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
21-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 04:44 PM
B

Smith has poise and skill

A

Giving up 95+ points to the worst side in the comp. virtually double our score...
^^ Does that put us in contention of taking their mantle?
7.15 plus misses. Truly embarrassing, on top of our 64% ball use.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Bankers

nothing... a bleak day

Anchors

Turnovers, lack of care with disposal
Abysmal goalkicking
The absolute hubris of our Match Committee. Debuting two players, and having absolutely no coverage for if our plan for dominance around the ball didn't pan out... resulting in Casboult and McKay just dining out. Meanwhile.. Naughton stuck up forward kicking blades of grass for large parts of the game, whilst Cordy and Wood were left to try and handle the tide.

bornadog
21-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Bankers

1. Will Hayes - first game, picked up 21 disposals, made some errors, but I can forgive a first gamer. (unlike his senior mates)

2. Tim English, battled hard as our only big man around the ground.Had the most hitouts on the day, and clunked 5 marks.

3. Caleb Daniel, never stopped trying, did everything he could to lift the team.

Anchors

1. Turnovers by some senior players like JJ - this kicking across the ground, you have to be accurate.

2. Billy Gowers - some easy misses

3. Midfield, just got smashed by Carlton - Macrae, Libba, even the Bont not effective.

G-Mo77
21-04-2019, 05:51 PM
Bankers.

Liam Jones before the game seeking out Hayes to wish him all the best. I thought that was classy.

Oblivious cam guy eating a pie during the quarter break with the camera on him the whole time. I got a laugh anyway

Anchors.

Match comitteee. I could throw darts at a board of names and select a better team than that. What are pack of muppets. This game was lost when that team was selected

EasternWest
21-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Bankers.

Liam Jones before the game seeking out Hayes to wish him all the best. I thought that was classy.

Bank it.

comrade
21-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Anchor

Me, for taking my boy to the footy again after multiple Ballarat losses (we live here) and the Gold Coast debacle, thinking THIS would finally be a good one for him to experience a win. Yeah, nah.

Special mention to Bevo for giving Gowers major midfield minutes in lieu of Libba. Seriously, what the ****?

Banker

The chicken burger at half time was decent.

Bullies
21-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Anchor: We obviously don't practice our goal kicking but seems we have put a lot of practice into the hospital handpass and kick as we have mastered those.

Eastdog
21-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Bankers:

- Not much hopefully back next week with some great bankers.

Anchors:

- Our goal kicking - just fix it please!

- The use of the footy - just terrible those turnovers cost us heaps today

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2019, 12:39 AM
Bankers:
Hayes- Looked poised for the most part, did some nice things, and ran hard.
Smith- More minutes under the belt and is clearly building confidence. Decision making, poise, and kicking have improved a lot. No weird scrubby kicks on the deck. Still don’t see him anywhere near enough (seems to be long periods where we don’t see him at all) but he is building.
Daniel- At times he looked like the only one that was interested. Worked hared and despite a mistake here or there I thought he was one of our best.

Anchors:
-Goalkicking. Obviously.
-Being the first team in 18 games to let Carlton get to 80 points.
-Being the first team in three years to let them get to 100 points

soupman
22-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Anchors
-Easton Wood. Was an absolute liability yesterday. I don't expect him to provide us any rebound anymore, or even to take many intercept marks, but i do expect him to at least be competitive one on one. Yesterday everytime he went near it we got torched, not ideal from your appointed leader.
-Jackson Macrae. Gun player, terrible game. Could not get into it at all, continually outshone in all areas by the Carlton midfield and struggled to have any influence at all, let alone a positive one. We needed him to step up and wrestle things back onto our terms and instead we got nothing.
-Lachie Hunter. As one of our better players and another leader had way too many half hearted efforts that directly cost us goals. I'm usually less harsh on Hunter than most, he brings a lot to the table, but yesterday he was atrocious.

Bonus Anchor to whatever is responsible for our midfield being so fatigued that we had to try alternative options and had to watch them get spanked. I don't understand how your conditioning team can allow a midfield group to be fatigued just 5 rounds into the season and coming off a 9 day break. And then your selection to address that was to bring in a half forward flanker with decent VFL form in Hayes and a half bank flanker/actual midfielder whose form reads poor-rested-ok-ok in Williams when Lipinski has been bog in a midfield role in just about every game he has played this year.

bornadog
22-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Anchors
-Easton Wood. Was an absolute liability yesterday. I don't expect him to provide us any rebound anymore, or even to take many intercept marks, but i do expect him to at least be competitive one on one. Yesterday everytime he went near it we got torched, not ideal from your appointed leader.

I have said many times on this forum, Wood should not be expected to play on talls. Conceding over 10cm against Casboult, and other talls can only work so many times in a game.

We need to address the Key Backs quickly and get Wood in his rightful spot HBF

GVGjr
22-04-2019, 11:31 AM
I have said many times on this forum, Wood should not be expected to play on talls. Conceding over 10cm against Casboult, and other talls can only work so many times in a game.

Do you acknowledge that he has been carried for a couple of years now and doesn't have the ball getting ability, skills and drive to be genuine half back flanker?

He has one particular skill with his intercept marking but it's been a long while since he's been a good player for us us and if he can't play tall or play forward how do we best use him when we have more damaging flanker types in Suckling, Crozier, JJ and Duryea just to name a few?

1eyedog
22-04-2019, 11:47 AM
I can't even remember the last time Wood was asked not to play on a tall down back. We are playing too many HBF. If JJ, Duryea, Crozier, Suckling, Daniel and Williams are preferred in that role Wood doesn't have a spot in the team and we know it. That's why he went forward with no success.

bornadog
22-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Do you acknowledge that he has been carried for a couple of years now and doesn't have the ball getting ability, skills and drive to be genuine half back flanker?

He has one particular skill with his intercept marking but it's been a long while since he's been a good player for us us and if he can't play tall or play forward how do we best use him when we have more damaging flanker types in Suckling, Crozier, JJ and Duryea just to name a few?

All I know is it ain't working playing tall.

He needs to play the role he played in 2016 and prior when we had Roberts and Hamling as talls.

soupman
22-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Do we actually want to do that though?

Wood provides about one decent run with ball in hand a game. Wood's attacking kicks are almost exclusively 45m bombs into our forward 50. The rest of his disposals are kicks down the line or switch kicks to what is generally a safe option. He offers no where near enough to be an attacking half back flanker.

So can he be a defensive player? He is good one on one, in the air he can spoil if not intercept mark, and can play safe if required. All things we ask of our key defenders. Could he play a smaller lock down role? I don't think so. He has lost too much pace and turning ability to go with the clever forwards. So he is locked in as an undersized key defender.

Crozier has taken his spot as the third tall who does a bit of everything, and is doing it far better than Wood has at any point post 2016.

G-Mo77
22-04-2019, 12:48 PM
All I know is it ain't working playing tall.

He needs to play the role he played in 2016 and prior when we had Roberts and Hamling as talls.

Nail on head mate. We had talls, Wood zones off and intercepts. Like Cordy he is not a KPD and is played out of position for most of the game.

Not playing to our strengths is our motto now. We may as well play him forward.

boydogs
23-04-2019, 04:46 PM
Wood is good as the third man up, when the ball has been bombed in to their main target with someone on him and Wood comes in with a runup

bornadog
23-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Wood is good as the third man up, when the ball has been bombed in to their main target with someone on him and Wood comes in with a runup

Played that role well against Hawks as they didn't have too many talls in the forward line.

boydogs
24-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Played that role well against Hawks as they didn't have too many talls in the forward line.

And it was wet, so the ball was just being hacked forward with little precision