PDA

View Full Version : 3 Things I've learned R5 vs Carlton

GVGjr
21-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Lets hear 3 new things learned from todays game?

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 04:46 PM
1. We delivered Carlton 100+ points in 59 games, and their first win this year.
2. Bolton is a little safer in his job. Bevo has a contract. So they're both happy.
3. I'm actually embarrassed. Really upset and embarrassed by that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 04:54 PM
1. We need an absolute top to bottom review of the club. We have meandered to less than mediocrity since our 2016 premiership, and despite having some envious talent, we are just shaky, flaky and one hot mess. I hope we don't have any sponsorships up for renegotiating this year. Who would want to pay for what we served up today as as representation of their brand.
2. We are the worst in the league for goalkicking. I didn't learn this today, but today it became fully franked. Today was the pure example of how this comes home to roost, highlighting how a crap side like Carlton can grow wings off the back of our profligacy.
3. Wood has to step down from the captaincy. This should've been addressed in the off-season, because now the real prospect looms that we have to drop our captain in the early stages of the season, and that will be destabilising.

DOG GOD
21-04-2019, 05:02 PM
1. I feel Bevo has a live link to Kevin Sheahan
2. We were totally destroyed by a better skilled, better running, and more desperate team
3a. Huge question marks over our club, but what will be done before years end ?
3b. Carlton will likely finish ahead of us on the ladder. Make of that what you will.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2019, 05:10 PM
1. I want Bevo gone. He’s done.

2. Smith will be good - makes mistakes but then works hard to make up for it.

3. Wood is the worst captain we’ve had. No leadership whatsoever and that’s without mentioning his form

bornadog
21-04-2019, 05:21 PM
1. WOOF is hard to read after a loss.

2. WOOF is hard to read after a loss.

3. WOOF is hard to read after a loss.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 05:51 PM
4. Today I saw many 'soft' things that made me wonder about the headspace. Hunter a few times took soft options, heard foot steps. JJ should've attacked the Daniel cross 40m out and stopped SPS from an easy intercept mark and goal. Others as well. I've never thought about a team under the Bevo as 'soft', but there was a lot more today than I can remember recently.

Bulldog4life
21-04-2019, 05:53 PM
1. Cordy is not a key back
2. Let's get back to basics. 2 key backs 2 key forwards and ruck. Build the team around them.
3. Carlton are an improving side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Williams really stank it up today. He looks light years away from being an AFL midfielder.

Twodogs
21-04-2019, 05:56 PM
1. WOOF is hard to read after a loss.

2. WOOF is hard to read after a loss.

3. WOOF is hard to read after a loss.

So what great things happened today that we should be celebrating?

chef
21-04-2019, 05:58 PM
1. We'll win the spoon.

2. Cant see myself spending 6 hours in a car to watch that crap again this season.

3. I hope we dont extend Bevos contract.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 06:01 PM
1. We'll win the spoon.

2. Cant see myself spending 6 hours in a car to watch that crap again this season.

3. I hope we dont extend Bevos contract.

If that's true, and we were offering that (pick 1) for Wingard. Then thanks for picking Hawthorn Chad!

bornadog
21-04-2019, 06:07 PM
So what great things happened today that we should be celebrating?

If you think there is something to celebrate let me know.

Grantysghost
21-04-2019, 06:08 PM
1. Not contesting ruck contests is diabolical and demoralising.
2. JJ will never improve his kicking.
3. Bont needs to be made captain asap.

Happy Days
21-04-2019, 07:22 PM
1. We've nerfed Toby McLean as a player and will have done so with Dunkley before too long

2. We need Naughton more as a backman than a forward

3. Carlton are better than us

Bullies
21-04-2019, 07:46 PM
1. Our MC have no idea. What would make them pick 2 first gamers who on form did not deserve to be picked.
2. Gowers has the football IQ of a peanut
3. Bevo is so stubborn. Lost it at selection. These guys need to be accountable. Surprised his skating mate Roarke Smith didnt get a game.
4. Playing Libba and Macrae in the forward line for long stints. Spare me.
5. McLean was one of our best mids last year so we will play him forward now.
6. Everyone except the MC can see that Dickson is cooked and was last year.

bornadog
22-04-2019, 12:22 AM
1. Our MC have no idea. What would make them pick 2 first gamers who on form did not deserve to be picked.
2. Gowers has the football IQ of a peanut
3. Bevo is so stubborn. Lost it at selection. These guys need to be accountable. Surprised his skating mate Roarke Smith didnt get a game.
4. Playing Libba and Macrae in the forward line for long stints. Spare me.
5. McLean was one of our best mids last year so we will play him forward now.
6. Everyone except the MC can see that Dickson is cooked and was last year.

I learnt you can't count. :D

Bumper Bulldogs
22-04-2019, 08:15 AM
1. Who said getting rid of Stringer, Dahl, Roughy would fix our issues

2. Who has stopped the handball club. I thought it might be the conditioning people so the players don’t need to run

3. Bevo this is all your fault, you turned over the list, you got ahead of yourself and wanted to play everyone out of their best position, you got a big head and dint want to talk with the media. Then make a war of it. Hope you know what coming.

SonofScray
22-04-2019, 09:12 AM
1. A wooden spoon awaits.
2. A sacking awaits.
3. Faecal matter has hit the fan.

Remi Moses
22-04-2019, 09:19 AM
1. The stubbornness and arrogance of the team picked ! Enough !!!
2. The lack of any action on the poor performing forward half over the last couple of years. Bevo has constantly talked of growth within our stocks , but it isn’t happening
3. The sameness of the coaching group ! Why ?

ratsmac
23-04-2019, 12:27 AM
1. Bevo deserves heat to be turned up on him. He is not performing.

2. We are where I thought we would be with 2 wins and 3 losses at this stage of the season. Although I thought our wins would be against Gold Coast and Carlton. That being said we are going worse than what I expected before round 1.

3. Carlton showed is how field kicking needs to be executed.

Twodogs
23-04-2019, 12:16 PM
If you think there is something to celebrate let me know.

It's been three days and I'm struggling to come up with anything.

Ozza
23-04-2019, 01:24 PM
1. The coach became delusional after the 2016 flag, and needs to find some humility. Stop trying to be 'ahead of the game' - and focus on what's in front of you, what we can all see. The stubborness of not respecting the ruck role. The stubborness sticking to this 'flexibility mantra'. The arrogance to pick 2 first gamers - when we don't have many injuries and are in obvious need to some strength, height and experience in the team - is ridiculous. Trengove can play in all three areas of the ground - surely he meets the criteria - and could have either a) competed in the ruck. b) competed on the array of monsters carlton had forward or c) been a target up forward instead of us being optionless and outmarked. Schache has been told he won't get picked again until he competes more. Surely if he is dropped, he gets replaced with a strong experienced player who can do just that.

2. Bevo may well be on the way to killing Dunkley as a footballer. Playing him as a second ruck/sometimes forward/sometime mid. The kid doesn't know where he's at.

3. The way the game is going, centre clearances are extremely important - so you need to have your best group in there as much as possible. Tom Libba should not be on a half forward line for any centre bounces, and Bont should be in as many as possible. Gowers, Williams and Smith were inside plenty of times on the weekend, and I just don't understand it.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Amen brother Ozza.

I struggle to understand that on Schache. He probably would be competing if midfielders were skilled enough to kick the ball to him on the full and/or to advantage. He was poor, sure, but against Hawthorn he kicked three goals in the last quarter to propel us to that win. Will others stayed in and will probably stay in (ie Gowers).

Rocket Science
23-04-2019, 03:29 PM
It's interesting we're prepared to have patience with English, Richards, Gowers and the trials and tribulations of first-gamers, but not the bloke we're trying to groom as our primary forward target for the next decade.

No matter Schache showed some good signs in the previous handful of games, one (admittedly) putrid game and YOU'RE OUT SON we'll play literally anyone else up forward and screw our structures in the process but YOU.

Imagine we applied that attitude with others.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 03:35 PM
It's interesting we're prepared to have patience with English, Richards, Gowers and the trials and tribulations of first-gamers, but not the bloke we're trying to groom as our primary forward target for the next decade.

No matter Schache showed some good signs in the previous handful of games, one (admittedly) putrid game and YOU'RE OUT SON we'll play literally anyone else up forward and screw our structures in the process but YOU.

Schache needs to watch how Naughton attacks the ball. Against Collingwood, he looked timid, and 4 disposals just isn't good enough. He was also pretty bad against GC, so two ordinary games.

boydogs
23-04-2019, 04:31 PM

There's patience and there's standards. We don't want to groom him to know half hearted attacks on the ball are OK

Ozza
23-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Schache needs to watch how Naughton attacks the ball. Against Collingwood, he looked timid, and 4 disposals just isn't good enough. He was also pretty bad against GC, so two ordinary games.

Young players, particularly tall forwards, are invariably inconsistent. The Collingwood game was an awful night to be a forward with the way both teams held onto the football and chipped around. Hard for a young forward in particular, to know how to work their way into the game when it is played like that. Naughton's skill set is different to Schache.

Rocket Science
23-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Yeah, Schache's endeavour and appetite for the contest is evidently a work in progress whereas Naughton's a much hungrier beast altogether, unusually so for a 2nd year KPP, but they're apples and oranges aside from being 'tall'.

Also yes re: standards, but again we seem to have more than one set of rules. Heya Lachie Hunter.

It also occurs there couldn't be a worse team in the league for a confidence-challenged young key forward to apprentice in.

Given our likely ladder finish this year we may as well let Schache stink it up occasionally in the ones while we do our best to accelerate his learning curve alongside the blokes he'll be playing with. Unless of course he makes way for Boyd as a substitute until the coaches are happier with Schache's development. But that's the stuff of fantasy and assumes (1) Boyd resumes game-readiness and (2) we won't turn him into a full back.

hujsh
23-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Yeah, Schache's endeavour and appetite for the contest is evidently a work in progress whereas Naughton's a much hungrier beast altogether, unusually so for a 2nd year KPP, but they're apples and oranges aside from being 'tall'.

Also yes re: standards, but again we seem to have more than one set of rules. Heya Lachie Hunter.

It also occurs there couldn't be a worse team in the league for a confidence-challenged young key forward to apprentice in.

Given our likely ladder finish this year we may as well let Schache stink it up occasionally in the ones while we do our best to accelerate his learning curve alongside the blokes he'll be playing with. Unless of course he makes way for Boyd as a substitute until the coaches are happier with Schache's development. But that's the stuff of fantasy and assumes (1) Boyd resumes game-readiness and (2) we won't turn him into a full back.

Well it worked for Jones so who the hell knows. Maybe it'll be a masterstroke and we'll all hail Bevo as a genius again

LostDoggy
26-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Lachi Hunters attempts at tackling are hard as a jellyfish. If we are applying standards to Schache its puzzling why Hunter isn't held.to acccount. Well it would be puzzling if it wasn't clewr.thwt Lachie is a.favourite of tbe coach.

mjp
26-04-2019, 10:16 AM
Lachi Hunters attempts at tackling are hard as a jellyfish. If we are applying standards to Schache its puzzling why Hunter isn't held.to acccount. Well it would be puzzling if it wasn't clewr.thwt Lachie is a.favourite of tbe coach.

So.

1/. I have said elsewhere I would have made an 'example' of Hunter, Macrae or Libba after last week as I didn't think their efforts were acceptable,

BUT.

2/. As a young player, Hunter was definitely in and out of the side pretty regularly (9, 14 and 13 games in his first 3x years). I don't think this is playing favorites as much as showing faith in one of the senior players/reigning B&F to turn it around.

Sedat
26-04-2019, 08:18 PM
For virtually the first time in his career, Hunter was sat on and had direct defensive work put into him last week - suffice to say he didn't cope well at all.

Looking forward to a much stronger effort from him this week. Workrate isn't an issue for him - he is an elite runner - but he does need to find a way to deal with the opposition shutting down his time and space as Carlton did to him last week.

LostDoggy
27-04-2019, 12:17 AM
So.

1/. I have said elsewhere I would have made an 'example' of Hunter, Macrae or Libba after last week as I didn't think their efforts were acceptable,

BUT.

2/. As a young player, Hunter was definitely in and out of the side pretty regularly (9, 14 and 13 games in his first 3x years). I don't think this is playing favorites as much as showing faith in one of the senior players/reigning B&F to turn it around.

Dont quite get your point. MCCartney was Hunters coach for his first two yrs. Bev clearly loves Lachie. You dont pretty much not get dropped for three yrs and be the reigning b n f unless the coach loves ya.

Harsh to drop Libba when he was played out of position when the game was hot and given form. Hunter though is a repeat non tackling offender.