PDA

View Full Version : Proactive Poaching

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The Adelaide Connection
25-04-2019, 03:08 PM
I know that clubs are not supposed to be talking to players from other teams but it is no secret that they still do.

A few years ago I was mystified why no one (especially Victorian teams) had targeted Tom Doedee. He was killing it at SANFL level but couldn’t crack even a single game with the Crows who had a solid defensive unit at the time (the likes of Lever, Talia, Smith, etc.). He was in the last year of his contract in 2017 (drafted in 2015) and is Victorian. It wasn’t until after the Crows realised they were losing Lever that they came to him with a contract extension (it was the end of August) and he finally played his first game in 2018 (then played 20 for the season). Surely he must have been a little disgruntled and surely he was gettable (and would have been pretty cheap).

So are there any other “under the radar” types, players that aren’t getting the coin they should warrant, or players that just aren’t getting a gig who we should be talking to?

I’d love us to have a word to Darcy Fogarty. I know he is South Australian, but he is a contested marking beast and exactly the type of player that we currently need Naughton to be. He is also a natural forward and a beautiful kick of the footy (and very accurate even from outside 50). The Crows are playing him down back in the SANFL, with their defensive stocks thinner than their forward stocks and he is not likely to get a run forward until the likes of Walker or Jenkins retire. All this should make him gettable and, whilst we might need to offer him overs, he should come relatively cheap.

Brody Mihocek is another I would be sounding out. Still on a rookie contract and the same type of player as Fogarty. Collingwood’s cap must be bursting too, so any decent offer we make might be difficult for them to match.

*Apologies, I intended to put this in the AFL talk forum

boydogs
25-04-2019, 04:06 PM
Mason Wood and Rory Thompson

DOG GOD
25-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Mason Wood and Rory Thompson

I’ve seen Mason Wood miss some easy shots haha, but I do like him as a player though.

GVGjr
25-04-2019, 04:37 PM
We meet with player agents frequently during the season to see which ones might be either unhappy at their current club looking for an opportunity elsewhere and then consider if they fit the profile of the type of player we need.
I'm sure we are proactive in our endeavours to attract the right players but I do think it's harder for us unless we are prepared to pay over the odds as we are not currently seen as a genuine finals caliber side.

It's one of the reason why I was dirty on our 2017 season because I genuinely believe if we had backed up on our success in 2016 we would have had a lot more interest in the better players considering a long career at the Kennel.

Good thread TAC.

hujsh
25-04-2019, 04:55 PM
The podcast mjp recommended 'behind the lines' has an episode with a Marty Pask that looks at this actually

Flamethrower
25-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Brayden Sier at Collingwood. Potential to be a Josh Kennedy like midfielder. Pies have an abundance of inside mids.

ledge
25-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Brayden Sier at Collingwood. Potential to be a Josh Kennedy like midfielder. Pies have an abundance of inside mids.

Trained with us but Collingwood got him before us , good mate with lipinski.
Eltham boy.

azabob
25-04-2019, 08:18 PM
I’d look to proactively poach Bailey Williams, Pat Lipinski and Lewis Young.

Am I doing it right?

bulldogtragic
25-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Am I doing it right?

I said it and have been pulled up on that concept. But I agree, there's ramifications far beyond the head coaches desire to select teams in a different way.

Grantysghost
25-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Roughead from the pies?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Roughead from the pies?

It is very frustrating to see Dahlhaus, Roughie & Stringer performing well.
Not that I wish them ill, but more the knowledge that if we were the beneficiaries of their performances this year, we'd be a damn sight better club.

The Adelaide Connection
25-04-2019, 10:41 PM
We meet with player agents frequently during the season to see which ones might be either unhappy at their current club looking for an opportunity elsewhere and then consider if they fit the profile of the type of player we need.
I'm sure we are proactive in our endeavours to attract the right players but I do think it's harder for us unless we are prepared to pay over the odds as we are not currently seen as a genuine finals caliber side.

It's one of the reason why I was dirty on our 2017 season because I genuinely believe if we had backed up on our success in 2016 we would have had a lot more interest in the better players considering a a long career at the Kennel.

Good thread TAC.

Our lack of scalps at the end of 2016 (and losing Hamling to boot) is part of what inspired this thread.

If you take a player like Fogarty (or Lipinski for us) they both landed at precisely where they wanted to go and they probably have more goodwill and patience than they otherwise might. I can’t imagine player agents are going to mention them as players looking to move.

I’d like us to call Fogarty’s agent and throw an offer at him that sits him down in his chair and would make anyone reconsider toiling away as a fullback in the SANFL with the hopes of getting a call up and scraping out a few games (or having to wait till Walker or Jenkins retire to get a gig up forward). Hell, work out who the Sam Reid to his Callan Ward is and tell him we will rookie them too.

Put the idea in his head now. Then with every hammering that the Crows 2’s get on a shitty, cold afternoon in Noarlunga, that offer might start eating away at him and sounding pretty unbeatable. Meanwhile, his agent starts thinking about the extra $$$ he will make over the modest contract the Crows will throw at him and starts warming to the idea.

Sure, we are not exactly setting the world on fire at the moment but we could make a damn strong case that we are closer to a flag than they are and we are in the position to promise him (or Sier, or Mihocek, Wood, etc.) the world.

macca
25-04-2019, 11:12 PM
All for this and love the double positive pun on poaching.(by nature it’s being proactive but in a stealthy way)
Unfortunately we are not a destination club . So we can entice as much as we want but we end up being the under bidder

Why have we missed players like ?
Sam collins: holding down KPP at suns and has taken a heap of intercept mark
Sydney stack : brilliant x-factor and that battering hip and shoulder on Viney was a beauty
Gibbons : won several vfl best and fairest got finally given a go
ATKINS : tackling machine with geelong vfl

I just hate how the hawks get players and they become even better
Scrimshaw: has held his position with the hawks, 2 years with suns traded for In exchange for Scrimshaw, Gold Coast will receive the Hawks’ future third round draft pick, for the Suns’ future fourth round selectio
Henderson : his having a breakout season

Milera: finally gotten over his injuries and is playing well

Tom Lynch is another who could not get a game at the saints a few years ago, behind riewoldt And Rhys stanley
Newman : looks becoming replacement for kade Simpson
We seem to be recruiting good citizens , but have they got an xfactor that stands out like some of the above ?

Getting them is one challenge and then developing them and ironing out their deficiencies is another . Maybe I will put it in one of the other threads on coaching and development etc.... ie our goal kicking is terrible

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2019, 02:29 PM
All for this and love the double positive pun on poaching.(by nature it’s being proactive but in a stealthy way)
Unfortunately we are not a destination club . So we can entice as much as we want but we end up being the under bidder

Why have we missed players like ?
Sam collins: holding down KPP at suns and has taken a heap of intercept mark
Sydney stack : brilliant x-factor and that battering hip and shoulder on Viney was a beauty
Gibbons : won several vfl best and fairest got finally given a go
ATKINS : tackling machine with geelong vfl

I just hate how the hawks get players and they become even better
Scrimshaw: has held his position with the hawks, 2 years with suns traded for In exchange for Scrimshaw, Gold Coast will receive the Hawks’ future third round draft pick, for the Suns’ future fourth round selectio
Henderson : his having a breakout season

Milera: finally gotten over his injuries and is playing well

Tom Lynch is another who could not get a game at the saints a few years ago, behind riewoldt And Rhys stanley
Newman : looks becoming replacement for kade Simpson
We seem to be recruiting good citizens , but have they got an xfactor that stands out like some of the above ?

Getting them is one challenge and then developing them and ironing out their deficiencies is another . Maybe I will put it in one of the other threads on coaching and development etc.... ie our goal kicking is terrible

Ha, glad you liked it. I wanted to emphasise the “Poach early, avoid the rush” angle of my thinking.

That is a fair list of players. There are no doubt plenty more that haven’t worked out (we have owned lots of those) and Carlton have been aggressive in recruiting GWS cast aways for more misses than hits.

Speaking of Carlton, I would add Will Setterfield to your list. Good size, great skills and user, and he was highly touted in his draft year (went at pick 5 in 2016). Only knock on him has been his body- has just come back from an ACL and hasn’t been able to get a clear run at it yet.

I would be appalled if we hadn’t at least had a really good look and I am pretty sure he was a bulldog supporter (and his cousin is also Isabel Huntington) so we surely would have been in with a shot.

Mofra
26-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Left-field selection because he'd need a bit of work, but Jy Simpkin.

On the outer at North (dropped again this week) but has shown some flashes of genuine X factor and goal sense in the past. Might be the type that flourishes under a different system.

bulldogtragic
26-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Cheaper: Cedric Cox. Contracted to the end of next year, but contracts mean very little and trading under contract is better value. Just ask Marcus Adams. Cox has speed and skills, we were apparently hoping to get him with the pick used on Lipinski.
Moderate: Tomlinson. Free agent tall defender. I wouldn't mind pressuring the Swans salary cap, by making good offers on their mid to mid-upper range talent (whom they love) like Hayward or Florent. The media report old man Buddy is on $1.5M next year during a rebuild, I'd prefer to play elsewhere to that. They've got contracts, but it seems trading under contract is where the value is to a club now.
Expensive: Kelly. Using the 'Wingard money'.

Axe Man
26-04-2019, 04:11 PM
St Kilda are apparently sniffing around all of Tomlinson, Jack Martin and Zac Jones. Unfortunately they may appear a more attractive destination at seasons end if we won't turn things around soon.

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2019, 04:47 PM
St Kilda are apparently sniffing around all of Tomlinson, Jack Martin and Zac Jones. Unfortunately they may appear a more attractive destination at seasons end if we won't turn things around soon.

I just read this article (there is also a radio interview via the link). Sounds like Tomlinson is likely to stay, but of course a lot can change. As Bulldogtragic mentioned, he is a restricted free agent too.

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/exclusive-gws-giants-star-adam-tomlinson-provides-update-on-playing-future/

GWS Giants star Adam Tomlinson provides update on playing future
GWS Giants star Adam Tomlinson says he isn’t going anywhere amid talk St Kilda are interested in the big man’s signature for next season and beyond.

The key defender – who has played 120 games for the Giants since debuting in 2012 is off contract at season’s end and did meet with the Saints at the end of 2017 – before choosing to remain with GWS.

He is one of several key players off contract for the club alongside Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio in what is an important time for the Western Sydney based club who lost the likes of Dylan Shiel, Tom Scully and Rory Lobb in the off season.

Tomlinson will be an unrestricted free agent meaning it will be harder for the Giants to keep him if he chooses to look interstate, however the 25-year-old says he’s not going anywhere just yet.

“It might have just been a slow news day to be honest,” Tomlinson said.

“But no I’m very happy to be playing footy.

“A lot of things get put in the media and read out by the people but it was a funny one, I was lying on a massage bed when that got released and a few of the boys sent a few texts.

“I was like ‘Na, it’s all good’.

“The club’s got to work through the bigger fish in Josh Kelly and Stephen Coniglio first, so that’s alright.”

Tomlinson who originates from Victoria was taken at pick nine in the 2011 Draft is averaging 19 disposals and six marks for the Giants this season.

GWS will take on the Swans in the ‘Battle of the Bridge in a blockbuster event on Saturday evening at the SCG.

Happy Days
26-04-2019, 05:14 PM
I'd be happy to look at Fogarty; he had 9 kicked on him by Liam McBean a few weeks ago and Adelaide seem determined to stick with their old front running forward line so they might be willing to give up on him too.

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2019, 05:57 PM
I'd be happy to look at Fogarty; he had 9 kicked on him by Liam McBean a few weeks ago and Adelaide seem determined to stick with their old front running forward line so they might be willing to give up on him too.

They might be willing to give up on him, but I say don't even make it their decision. I would go hard for him and hopefully he sees more opportunity and a better contract (and a team that wants him badly) and tells them that he wants out.

Grantysghost
26-04-2019, 05:58 PM
There's a young guns series of games coming up for the kids that weren't taken in the 2018 draft. First game at Sandy May 5th. I'll get some close feedback from the Vic Metro kids so I'll post what I find out. Should be some Sydney Stack types.

bornadog
26-04-2019, 06:03 PM

Would you consider McBean

Happy Days
26-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Would you consider McBean

I would not.

Grantysghost
27-04-2019, 07:42 PM
I've always liked Ben Ainsworth from the Suns. Victorian country kid, hard at it and decent skills. High pick so going to be hard to pry away but I would like to be proactive with him. As far as I know he is signed until end of 2020.

soupman
27-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Nic Coffield was a high pick to St.Kilda two years ago, and I believe we were interested. Hasn't come close to being picked this year, I have no idea if that decision is justified or no. Was a Bulldogs supporter growing up as well.

1eyedog
28-04-2019, 12:14 AM

Am I doing it right?

Exactly. There's an opposition supporter on a forum right now talking about Lippa in the 2nds.

The Adelaide Connection
28-04-2019, 02:24 AM
Nic Coffield was a high pick to St.Kilda two years ago, and I believe we were interested. Hasn't come close to being picked this year, I have no idea if that decision is justified or no. Was a Bulldogs supporter growing up as well.

Rumour has it Coffield cried when he found out the Saints were taking him a pick before our first selection. I don’t know if that is bs but it’s a nice story.

I recall a lot of posters were keen on Coffield. Played ten games last year but can’t get a look this year and they are apparently giving him midfield minutes in the 2’s to try to add a string to his bow. I definitely think we should be in his ear.

macca
29-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Rumour has it Coffield cried when he found out the Saints were taking him a pick before our first selection. I don’t know if that is bs but it’s a nice story.

I recall a lot of posters were keen on Coffield. Played ten games last year but can’t get a look this year and they are apparently giving him midfield minutes in the 2’s to try to add a string to his bow. I definitely think we should be in his ear.

I would cry too if I went .

No one on their list has really kicked on . I could go on dissect their list , but to sumiz its an ordinary list

Please chase him hard if his the right skills to fit our list.
When did they win their last granny ?

GVGjr
29-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Joel Amartey might be worth a look at. He's a rookie at the Swans, tall and versatile and on top of that he must be a good bloke given he's a Doggies supporter

The Adelaide Connection
29-04-2019, 10:49 PM
Joel Amartey might be worth a look at. He's a rookie at the Swans, tall and versatile and on top of that he must be a good bloke given he's a Doggies supporter

Gee, there really is quite a lot of quality young Dogs supporters on other lists at the moment. Coffield, Amartey, Xavier O'Hallaran, Ned McHenry, to name a few.

I say get in all of their ears.

Ned McHenry and O'Hallaran were both on our radar. McHenry would be especailly handy (small forward with a massive tank) and he is both injured and probably behind 6 small forwards on the Crows list (Betts, Galluci, Lachlan Murphy, Poholke, Tyson Stengle, and Shane McAdam).

He might be another Crows player that has to wait longer than two seasons to debut and he would be another player I would be in constant dialogue with.

kruder
30-04-2019, 12:53 AM

And we don't? We might as well buy another half back flanker while we are at it.

Mofra
30-04-2019, 03:18 PM
And we don't? We might as well buy another half back flanker while we are at it.
Sier is quality but we really do have to trade for need.

I just wonder how attractive we are as a destination right now though.

The Adelaide Connection
03-05-2019, 02:38 PM
The cutoff for the mid-season draft nominations is today. An article below listing some of the players who have nominated.

On a tangent, has anyone worked out why we decided to Rookie Khamis instead of getting as a Category B Rookie and getting a free hit in the supplementary picks period?

On the surface it feels badly managed and it is a shame we didn’t take a stab at any of those on this list (or the others like Stack who did get taken by other clubs). For a club that has had ridiculous success with Rookie picks it just doesn’t make sense.

219 footballers have nominated for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft ahead of Friday's deadline http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/brothers-of-afl-stars-explayers-nominate-for-midseason-draft

Axe Man
03-05-2019, 03:46 PM
The cutoff for the mid-season draft nominations is today. An article below listing some of the players who have nominated.

On a tangent, has anyone worked out why we decided to Rookie Khamis instead of getting as a Category B Rookie and getting a free hit in the supplementary picks period?

On the surface it feels badly managed and it is a shame we didn’t take a stab at any of those on this list (or the others like Stack who did get taken by other clubs). For a club that has had ridiculous success with Rookie picks it just doesn’t make sense.

219 footballers have nominated for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft ahead of Friday's deadline http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/brothers-of-afl-stars-explayers-nominate-for-midseason-draft

No idea. I've asked that question more than once. Given Buku was unlikely to play seniors this year it makes no sense to me.

PS I've already posted that article in the mid season draft thread.

soupman
03-05-2019, 05:53 PM
No idea. I've asked that question more than once. Given Buku was unlikely to play seniors this year it makes no sense to me.

Likewise. I did like last years off season from Power with the exception of this one move. I fail to see how it benefits us having him as category a rookie. The only upside is that we don't have to promote him to play him, but considering how raw he is and the high likelihood we will have a long term injury anyway i fail to see how this is worth sacrificing a list spot for.

List spots are worth their weight in gold and I am disappointing we threw one away so cheaply.

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 04:20 PM
Ben Keays with another 4 goals in the NEAFL - can't seem to get near the Brisbane 22 and we were keen on him in his draft year, which I imagine holds all the more true now that hes ~versatile~. We could seriously use the type of player he's been at seconds level too.

The Adelaide Connection
17-05-2019, 04:08 AM
With the Boyd announcement, would we potentially be into Patton? Risky, but he might come relatively cheap.

There was suggestions that the Hawks were sniffing around him, talk of another GWS salary dump, and I could be wrong but weren't we heavily into him until he did his first ACL (and then we moved to Boyd)?

Happy Days
17-05-2019, 10:13 AM
With the Boyd announcement, would we potentially be into Patton? Risky, but he might come relatively cheap.

There was suggestions that the Hawks were sniffing around him, talk of another GWS salary dump, and I could be wrong but weren't we heavily into him until he did his first ACL (and then we moved to Boyd)?

We have up to $1.5m free according to my crude calculations and we should not use it on a salary dump. Unless the sweetener is King Tobes not a chance.

comrade
17-05-2019, 10:14 AM
No to Patton, no to 2MP.

Unless they are dominating at their current club, I don't want to spend the war chest.

bornadog
17-05-2019, 10:26 AM
AFL 2019: Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy likely to sign new deal worth up to $7 million amid 17-man Pies cap squeeze (https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2019-collingwoods-brodie-grundy-likely-to-sign-new-deal-worth-up-to-7-million-amid-17man-pies-cap-squeeze/news-story/567a337d3fbc9947af6b48e3c4658e21)

Let's do it - offer him more

Happy Days
17-05-2019, 10:30 AM
I want De Goey. He's out of contract next year and reading between the lines he's willing to play for cash if the team offering it isn't North Melbourne. He's cool and sick and everything we don't have.

I consider him an exception to the "no trading top picks" doctrine and would give up two of them for him.

bornadog
17-05-2019, 10:33 AM
I want De Goey. He's out of contract next year and reading between the lines he's willing to play for cash if the team offering it isn't North Melbourne. He's cool and sick and everything we don't have.

I consider him an exception to the "no trading top picks" doctrine and would give up two of them for him.

Good suggestion, the guy is a freak

comrade
17-05-2019, 10:37 AM
De Goey, Moore, Elliott with contracts about to expire next year. All fit a need for us.

Axe Man
17-05-2019, 10:52 AM
If there was nothing better available would we consider Josh Jenkins at the right (low) price? Currently in the SANFL so a third rounder should do.

Not a great player but could help Naughton out for a couple of years and provide relief rucking.

Bulldog4life
17-05-2019, 10:54 AM
If there was nothing better available would we consider Josh Jenkins at the right (low) price? Currently in the SANFL so a third rounder should do.

Not a great player but could help Naughton out for a couple of years and provide relief rucking.

Jenkins is on a roughly $750,000 contract with Adelaide.

Axe Man
17-05-2019, 10:58 AM

If they pick up half of that then I'm OK with it!

Another key position player that may be worth chasing is Dan McStay from Brisbane. Out of contact, able to play at either end, good size at 195cm and not yet 24. Perhaps he could be feeling homesick?

Happy Days
17-05-2019, 11:05 AM
If we get Jenkins I'm out.

Mofra
17-05-2019, 11:53 AM
If they pick up half of that then I'm OK with it!

Another key position player that may be worth chasing is Dan McStay from Brisbane. Out of contact, able to play at either end, good size at 195cm and not yet 24. Perhaps he could be feeling homesick?
Ha, the annual mention of McStay.
He signed a longish deal last year from memory.

Brissie do have a few young developing talls though, their academy system is going gangbusters. From memory we bid on C Bellendon (forgive spelling) who is tall and aggressive, looks an ideal foil for Naughton and he can also ruck.

Mofra
17-05-2019, 11:54 AM
If we get Jenkins I'm out.
He's a bit like Schache, except softer.

Axe Man
17-05-2019, 12:21 PM

Brissie do have a few young developing talls though, their academy system is going gangbusters. From memory we bid on C Bellendon (forgive spelling) who is tall and aggressive, looks an ideal foil for Naughton and he can also ruck.

Um, no - as I said out of contract. Signed a 2 year deal in 2017.

Rocket Science
17-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Let's think more boldly. Hiya McCluggage.

He'll need a driver so McStay can come too if he likes.

Mofra
20-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Left field option, but... Noah Balta?

Huge, super athletic kid, out of contract at Richmond who has a serious salary cap squeeze post-Lynch (Astbury is a FA too). We have the picks and cap space and he seems the type of player Bevo would love - tall and mobile (he can even chop out in the ruck!)

Happy Days
20-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Left field option, but... Noah Balta?

Huge, super athletic kid, out of contract at Richmond who has a serious salary cap squeeze post-Lynch (Astbury is a FA too). We have the picks and cap space and he seems the type of player Bevo would love - tall and mobile (he can even chop out in the ruck!)

He's very athletically gifted but I can't shake the idea he's really bad at actual football stuff. Everything he does on field with ball in hand looks so alien to him.

Mofra
20-05-2019, 01:29 PM
He's very athletically gifted but I can't shake the idea he's really bad at actual football stuff. Everything he does on field with ball in hand looks so alien to him.
Looked out running a ball to goal with us.

My weekly mention of Sam Day is overdue too - seems on the outer at the Suns.

ledge
20-05-2019, 07:40 PM

Was this the bloke who had a shot for goal from 10 metres out and looked like he kicked the ball on his wrong foot and put it out on the full? If it’s him .. no way.

Happy Days
20-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Looked out running a ball to goal with us.

My weekly mention of Sam Day is overdue too - seems on the outer at the Suns.

This is actually the play I was thinking of when I made the comment. It was a situation that allallowed him to solely rely on his athleticism to produce something special, but his bounce looked like he was trying not to his his feet and his kick looked just as uncomfortable.

I don't know. I'm not against it but it's just something to keep in mind.

bornadog
20-05-2019, 10:04 PM
from tweet Tom Browne

The dogs want a forward, and I believe will use available space now to aggressively chase giant Adam Tomlinson. There aren’t many potential forwards available. Huge talent, he is close with dogs ceo Ameet Bains

bulldogtragic
20-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Would be a good free agent get, if we don’t badly overpay.

Twodogs
20-05-2019, 10:13 PM
What's Alir Alir's contract status at the end of this year?

I wanted him in the 2017 trade period when he hadnt played much footy over the previous 12 months. We'd pay more now but then again he's a better player now. He strikes me as the type who will improve year on year, he can already hold down a defensive spot, he would be the monster tamer we need and would release Naughton to play forward more often. I hope he's one of the players that we are in the ear of already.

bornadog
20-05-2019, 10:13 PM
Would be a good free agent get, if we don’t badly overpay.

Not sure why he calls him a forward? We want a CHB

bulldogtragic
20-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Not sure why he calls him a forward? We want a CHB

Poor tweet construction I think. I think his point is there’s not many forwards which is why we are chasing a KPD since there’s not a heap of forwards. He doesn’t understand our needs. We need both now.

Tomlinson said he was waiting to sign once jmac signed up Kelly & Cogs. Maybe more money changes that for him. I’d like to get the benefit of a good free agent and keep/use/trade good picks.

dog town
21-05-2019, 05:41 AM
If you look through the players traded last year I don’t think many of them were predicted during the year. Players will pop up and we don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket and not be able to swing to someone new.

We need forward options but we don’t want another tall unless they are a star. Medium forwards and smalls is what we need. Potentially could do with a key defender as well if available.

Mofra
21-05-2019, 09:59 AM
If you look through the players traded last year I don’t think many of them were predicted during the year. Players will pop up and we don’t want to put all our eggs in one basket and not be able to swing to someone new.

We need forward options but we don’t want another tall unless they are a star. Medium forwards and smalls is what we need. Potentially could do with a key defender as well if available.
Tomlinson is a 193cm super mobile utility. He'd be brilliant for us but I'm not sure he's had too much exposure forward of the ball.

bornadog
21-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Tomlinson is a 193cm super mobile utility. He'd be brilliant for us but I'm not sure he's had too much exposure forward of the ball.

Too short

Axe Man
21-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Too short

Officially listed as 194cm and 96kgs (exactly the same as Alex Rance). I think he's fine size wise.

Tom Browne mentioned this on Talking Footy as well and is definitely saying that we are interested in him as a forward. Perhaps we see Tomlinson as a forward and the rumoured Carlton tall as a KPD? We should have the cash for both.

What sort of contract would we need to offer Tomlinson? $600-$700k? 4-5 years?

Mofra
21-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Too short
Too short for what?

Our second forward marking option right now is 186cm.

Mofra
21-05-2019, 10:34 AM
What sort of contract would we need to offer Tomlinson? $600-$700k? 4-5 years?
He's 26? 4 years shouldn;t be much of a risk, he's played at a high level for many years.

TBH I'm a little surprised he's even gettable, always seemed more likely to stay than leave but we do have cap space.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2019, 10:47 AM
He's 26? 4 years shouldn;t be much of a risk, he's played at a high level for many years.

TBH I'm a little surprised he's even gettable, always seemed more likely to stay than leave but we do have cap space.

If it saved some coin ($50,000 a year or so), I'd strongly consider 5 years. Hypothetically $600,000 into $550,000. That'd take him to 31 which is still ok I think.

If he's our alleged tall forward replacement, we have over a million dollars to get a KPD (being that Day isn't being talked about as a forward option for us maybe he's not a focus) maybe that Carlton rumour that Axe Man and you've heard about a KPD might be an option. Guessing a name, Weitering, he wouldn't command a major, major salary. So we'd still have left over salary cap to look at a medium/small forward. Plus a suite of good draft picks. For us to compete seriously next year we need some ready made players. If we could pick up three or four while getting some more talented kids, that seems sensible.

bornadog
21-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Too short for what?

Our second forward marking option right now is 186cm.

Schache is 199 :D

Mofra
21-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Schache is 199 :D
...And he's playing in the VFL.

Talent beats height, especially considering we are looking for a mobile no 2 tall. De Goey types are what every coach wants now and Tomlinson is seriously mobile.

bornadog
21-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Talent beats height, especially considering we are looking for a mobile no 2 tall. De Goey types are what every coach wants now and Tomlinson is seriously mobile.

I have got to say, I don't see it.

Would love De Goey though (who wouldn't)

Happy Days
21-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Tomlinson has never shown anything as a forward. If we got him it would be to play on the De Goey types.

AshMac
21-05-2019, 07:13 PM
I’d be delighted w Tomlinson. Know Browne said we could mould him as a fwd, but I’d have thought he’d be a defender.

GVGjr
21-05-2019, 07:35 PM

I've pushed his name forward a few time here as a mobile defender who is capable of creating mismatches. I can't see us getting him but Bevo should appreciate his abilities

BornInDroopSt'54
21-05-2019, 08:20 PM
Yes Bevo would like him. I like Aliir. He is so good.

GVGjr
21-05-2019, 11:14 PM
Too short

Some here thought Naughton at 194cm was too short. 193cm is OK

bornadog
21-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Some here thought Naughton at 194cm was too short. 193cm is OK

Both have grown, Naughton 195 and Adam is 194

wimberga
23-05-2019, 02:25 PM
If we thought that someone like Tomlinson is unlikely to leave, I'd throw up a few of the folloiwng names to bring in down back and maybe up forward:

Aliir Aliir
Nick Vlastuin
Harris Andrews
Alex Sexton

Mofra
23-05-2019, 03:44 PM
If we thought that someone like Tomlinson is unlikely to leave, I'd throw up a few of the folloiwng names to bring in down back and maybe up forward:

Aliir Aliir
Nick Vlastuin
Harris Andrews
Alex Sexton
Sexton recently signed a 4 year deal. I would have loved him in Bulldog colours.

Andrews is too highly rated at Brisbane but I think their 'second strong' talls are gettable, hence my naming of Ballenden earlier.

Mofra
23-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Some Crows seem to think Alex Keath is gettable.
Would solve our KPD issues for 3-4 years I'd imagine, Vic growing up too and it seems likely we lose Bailey Williams to SA at the end of the year.

SquirrelGrip
23-05-2019, 05:59 PM
I’d be happy to trade Bailey Williams + something for Alex Keath.

Happy Days
23-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Some Crows seem to think Alex Keath is gettable.
Would solve our KPD issues for 3-4 years I'd imagine, Vic growing up too and it seems likely we lose Bailey Williams to SA at the end of the year.

Would you swap them straight up? I'd consider it.

Remi Moses
23-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Alex Keath is in his late 20’s

Mofra
24-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Would you swap them straight up? I'd consider it.
Even with Keath's age I'd imagine we'd have to offer a pick too.

Williams has been in and out of our side this year while Keath is playing very well and the market for KPDs is tight. Plus he's likely to play into his 30s as he had a delayed start to his career due to his cricket commitments.

Axe Man
28-05-2019, 11:51 AM

Only $550,000 according to this:

Could Josh Jenkins be traded to Melbourne club? (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/could-josh-jenkins-be-traded-to-melbourne-club/news-story/db78717e18bb1c531a0dd296dfd26670)

Josh Jenkins would only consider a trade back to a Melbourne club if his SANFL stint dragged into the second half of the season.

The Adelaide star continues to languish in the SANFL despite six goals in his last outing, desperate to be recalled against Melbourne on Saturday night.

Jenkins, 30, is well established in the city with a wife Hannah and daughter Lottie and is hopeful he can see out a $550,000-a-season deal that expires in 2022.

But he could be forced into a trade if coach Don Pyke continues to ignore him at AFL level later into the season.

bornadog
28-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Only $550,000 according to this:

Could Josh Jenkins be traded to Melbourne club? (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/could-josh-jenkins-be-traded-to-melbourne-club/news-story/db78717e18bb1c531a0dd296dfd26670)

Josh Jenkins would only consider a trade back to a Melbourne club if his SANFL stint dragged into the second half of the season.

The Adelaide star continues to languish in the SANFL despite six goals in his last outing, desperate to be recalled against Melbourne on Saturday night.

Jenkins, 30, is well established in the city with a wife Hannah and daughter Lottie and is hopeful he can see out a $550,000-a-season deal that expires in 2022.

But he could be forced into a trade if coach Don Pyke continues to ignore him at AFL level later into the season.

Will be 31 by the start of next season. No thanks.

Twodogs
28-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Will be 31 by the start of next season. No thanks.

Glen Coleman was 29 when he played his first game with us. Jenkins could play a similar role alongside Naughton that Coleman played alongside Chris Grant when Grant first started by taking the best defender. Maybe not the "Go near the kid and you will have me to answer to" role Coleman played but Jenkins could help improve our gamestyle and help us kick bigger scores.

ratsmac
28-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Sam McClure reporting that we are going after Isaac Smith and Jack Martin.

I'm keen on Martin but not sure about Smith.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05/28/dogs-to-target-hawks-premiership-midfielder-and-star-sun-in-potential-trade/

Grantysghost
28-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Sam McClure reporting that we are going after Isaac Smith and Jack Martin.

I'm keen on Martin but not sure about Smith.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05/28/dogs-to-target-hawks-premiership-midfielder-and-star-sun-in-potential-trade/

Smith is a gun, he'd be my choice over Martin. Having said that I think it's a very fine margin all things considered. Ainsworth anyone?

ratsmac
28-05-2019, 07:42 PM
Smith is a gun, he'd be my choice over Martin. Having said that I think it's a very fine margin all things considered. Ainsworth anyone?

Sorry the only reason why I'm not keen on Smith is his age. He turns 31 next year, but yes he's a gun.

Remi Moses
28-05-2019, 07:54 PM
The age on Smith is a no from me .
Martin’s got great tools to be a star , but he’s been disappointing so far

Twodogs
28-05-2019, 08:00 PM
I'm not that worried about Smith's age, that's 31 at the end of next year-my only slight concern that he may be subject to old man soft tissue injuries like St Kilda got sucked in with Hannaberry-but he looks and plays like a young man still.

Martin would be huge for us. He has all the tools we need, pace, class, footy nous and surgical footskills.

1eyedog
28-05-2019, 08:02 PM
No and no my god what a waste of cash and picks! Smith will be nearly 32 and past his best and Martin is inconsistent and lazy. Please don't let this be true!

Grantysghost
28-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Sorry the only reason why I'm not keen on Smith is his age. He turns 31 next year, but yes he's a gun.
Very good point I didn't realise thought he was the other side of 30. Martin it is :cool:

Doc26
28-05-2019, 08:46 PM
A yes for me with Jack Martin if he’s open to coming to us and we weren’t forced to pay overs.
Genuine elite talent who could prosper under our developing leaders.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-05-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm not averse to either Smith or Martin at the right price.
I'm just not convinced Martin would be on the table for a fair price, and a fair price would not be our 1st pick in 2019. Not for his output to date.

chef
28-05-2019, 09:18 PM
No for Smith from me, we are miles off a premiership window so all hes doing is stealing a kids spot for a season or two.

Martin fills a need and is in the right age group.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2019, 09:19 PM
If Smith was pick 50-70 like Lewis & Mitchell, and it’s really just salary. Then I’m in.

Martin seems flashy, but doesn’t score a lot (4.10 this year, 10 games). I’d like some more goal scoring power.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2019, 09:27 PM
With the Tomlinson media comments last week. We’d be allegedly hoping for Tomlinson (KPD), Smith (Wing), Martin (mid).

Tommo is a FA. Smith must be a late pick like Lewis & Mitchell. Martin isn’t worth Pick 5, so maybe a downgrade & 2nd rounder. So we’d have a strong draft presence too.

That would pretty much use our cap and cap bank.

bornadog
28-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Do we really need another Left foot Hawk has been.:D

On a serious note, we don't need a player like Smith, however we can use some outside pace like Martin.

Ozza
29-05-2019, 12:02 AM
Like the thought of getting Martin. Heads into what is likely his best years.
Isaac Smith is a very good footballer - his age means that we have to be careful about what the cost is.

Both players cover the ground well and add some polish - if we think we aren't that far from contending again.

Sedat
29-05-2019, 12:07 AM
If Smith was pick 50-70 like Lewis & Mitchell, and it’s really just salary. Then I’m in.
Same. Also the Hawks owe us a friendly trade for Smith as payback for us giving them a 31yo future Norm Smith medalist and a triple premiership player for bugger-all in a trade.

boydogs
29-05-2019, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't call Martin soft but there's not much of him, he struggles with the physical side of the game

macca
29-05-2019, 01:07 AM
With the emergence of himmelberg and Darcy forgerty in the wings , Lynch in fwd 50 and greenwood and O’Brien chop out , Josh Jenkins days are numbered .he be at best insurance cover for these guys by 2022. Can’t ruck, does he play 100% of game time like ben brown ?
I be throwing kitchen sink at Ben brown or Peter Wright . We need a Rory Lobb type which means 800k a year

Mantis
29-05-2019, 09:18 AM

He's a pass given he's probably only got 2-3 years left.

Bevo certainly loves he's left footed Hawthorn player doesn't he!

bornadog
29-05-2019, 09:44 AM
From RSN this morning:

"I hadn't heard anything about it. I hadn't even thought about ringing my manager about it. It's rumour and innuendo. I'm happy at Hawthorn."

Isaac Smith on the rumour linking him with the Dogs

Mofra
29-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Was discussed quite a bit on SEN last night.
They did note that Smith started his AFL career late (22) so likely has a few years left. I don't mind it if it's a cheap trade a la Mitchell or Lewis (Hodge was a DFA post-retirements wasn't he?)

We are already young enough and knowing our trade history we're likely to miss out on a few targets. Interesting we've gone public so early and that nether of our targets are talls.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Martin seems flashy, but doesn’t score a lot (4.10 this year, 10 games). I’d like some more goal scoring power.

Yes my sentiments exactly re: Smith. Martin's best footy is still in front of him yet I'm 50/50 on him. Has got the x factor though.

G-Mo77
29-05-2019, 11:34 AM
From RSN this morning:

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn Isaac. It seems like silly season has started early.

We'll be linked to everyone now that we have this "war chest" from losing Boyd and his contract, which was also very heavily front loaded. Football media are an absolute joke.

bornadog
29-05-2019, 11:35 AM
Was discussed quite a bit on SEN last night.
They did note that Smith started his AFL career late (22) so likely has a few years left. I don't mind it if it's a cheap trade a la Mitchell or Lewis (Hodge was a DFA post-retirements wasn't he?)

We are already young enough and knowing our trade history we're likely to miss out on a few targets. Interesting we've gone public so early and that nether of our targets are talls.

Did we?

Mofra
29-05-2019, 11:38 AM
Did we?
Yes, as per the SEN discussion last night.

The point was made that every club has a 'hit list' but we're the first to be open about it his year.

bornadog
29-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Yes, as per the SEN discussion last night.

The point was made that every club has a 'hit list' but we're the first to be open about it his year.

So we came out to the press and said we are targeting Smith and Martin? Or, did Maclure sniff around and someone leaked it, or Maclure made it up :D

I would say my second scenario.

Mofra
29-05-2019, 12:20 PM
So we came out to the press and said we are targeting Smith and Martin? Or, did Maclure sniff around and someone leaked it, or Maclure made it up :D

Ok you can believe that.
From the sound of the discussion the 'Bulldogs being open about their targets' sounded a little different from just a leak.

Back on track, given it sounds like we're considering a second wing player (to partner Hunter) if we don't get Smith there are three names we should ask the question about:

- Ed Langdon, although he's been linked to most Vic clubs this trade period
- Karl Amon who tried to come back to Vic last year. Sleight but provides outside run
- Rory Atkins, who we've been linked with before and may be gettable.

G-Mo77
29-05-2019, 12:22 PM

I don't think any of them make stories up, their sources however? Social media is littered with made up stories and innuendo. It' sad that you can call yourself a journalist and rely on social media to supply the content you write about.

SlimPickens
29-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Wonder if we'd inquire about Jake Carlisle? Contract clause means he may have to rush back this year, might be worth planting the seed

Sedat
29-05-2019, 02:24 PM
Back on track, given it sounds like we're considering a second wing player (to partner Hunter) if we don't get Smith there are three names we should ask the question about:

- Ed Langdon, although he's been linked to most Vic clubs this trade period
- Karl Amon who tried to come back to Vic last year. Sleight but provides outside run
- Rory Atkins, who we've been linked with before and may be gettable.
I'd rather get a 31yo Isaac Smith than any of the younger ball butchers listed above. He's a proven elite quality who could easily have 4 (maybe even 5) years left.

If the trade price is not onerous (and it shouldn't be), happy to bring in more proven talent to the club.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2019, 02:45 PM
I'd rather get a 31yo Isaac Smith than any of the younger ball butchers listed above. He's a proven elite quality who could easily have 4 (maybe even 5) years left.

If the trade price is not onerous (and it shouldn't be), happy to bring in more proven talent to the club.

Jordan Mitchell, 57, 68 - for - 48, 66 (Jordan Mitchell essentially a 10 pick downgrade)

We have the Hawks 3rd (around pick 47), Hawks have our fourth (around pick 60). If we handed each other our original picks back and swap 5th rounders that's nearly identical to the Lewis trade. --

Smith, 60, 84 - for - 47, 78 (traded at age 30 maybe, leadership group) (slightly better trade)
-
Lewis, 57, 68 - for - 48, 66 (traded at age 30, leadership group)

Remi Moses
29-05-2019, 03:53 PM
If he does come in then it has to be a salary dump and we give Hawthorn pick 70 odd
Considering he started later I’ve changed opinion . Decent kick as well

Axe Man
29-05-2019, 03:57 PM
If he does come in then it has to be a salary dump and we give Hawthorn pick 70 odd
Considering he started later I’ve changed opinion . Decent kick as well

Good point re the salary dump. Hawks would probably only go for it if they were picking up yet another big name, eg Coniglio.

1eyedog
29-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Good point re the salary dump. Hawks would probably only go for it if they were picking up yet another big name, eg Coniglio.

See that's just the problem with this club. We once again get another old man with two years left in his legs and it will be made to be a great deal for the dogs (pick whatever) yet once again Hawthorn pick up a genuine superstar nearing his prime while we release them of further financial burdens. It sucks. Smith is a good player but he won't play in a our premiership. He relies on pace and that's the first thing that will go as he nears the edge over the next 2 years.

Wish we could offload and replace our tyres like the Hawks seem to do. It's always fringe types or old men for us.

Remi Moses
29-05-2019, 04:39 PM
So when was it made official Coniglio was going to Hawthorn ? It’s pure media talk at this stage and let’s not get our collective knickers in a knot yet

Remi Moses
29-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Smith started at 21 , so he hasn’t quite have the beaten up body of your stock afl 31 y/o.

GVGjr
29-05-2019, 04:41 PM
I get chasing players of the quality of both Martin and Smith but I wonder if we would be better served if it was a mixture of a star player and a couple of role players that fill some of our needs?

Would a player who is cable of both being a 2nd ruckman and a decent key forward be a good fit for us?

Martin would be a great addition for us because he is so capable of kicking goals and putting in some unbelievable games. If our interest is genuine then I guess we haven't given up on getting a Wingard type.

Given we are cashed up we will be linked with 20 quality players between now and the trade period.
We are probably willing to trade an early pick or two as well

Happy Days
29-05-2019, 04:47 PM
Wonder if we'd inquire about Jake Carlisle? Contract clause means he may have to rush back this year, might be worth planting the seed

Saw that in the paper too. There's a really high chance that Carlisle is a dickhead but I'd still be very interested.

Axe Man
29-05-2019, 04:49 PM
So when was it made official Coniglio was going to Hawthorn ? It’s pure media talk at this stage and let’s not get our collective knickers in a knot yet

I was only using Coniglio as the most obvious example. Seems like the Hawks would only need to do a salary dump if they pick up a big name again. That could be anyone - I'm certain Wingard wasn't being discussed in the media at this time last year.

hujsh
29-05-2019, 04:53 PM
See that's just the problem with this club. We once again get another old man with two years left in his legs and it will be made to be a great deal for the dogs (pick whatever) yet once again Hawthorn pick up a genuine superstar nearing his prime while we release them of further financial burdens. It sucks. Smith is a good player but he won't play in a our premiership. He relies on pace and that's the first thing that will go as he nears the edge over the next 2 years.

Wish we could offload and replace our tyres like the Hawks seem to do. It's always fringe types or old men for us.

I'm with you on not wanting to do the Hawks too many favours/acting as their dumping ground.

Remi Moses
29-05-2019, 05:24 PM
I was only using Coniglio as the most obvious example. Seems like the Hawks would only need to do a salary dump if they pick up a big name again. That could be anyone - I'm certain Wingard wasn't being discussed in the media at this time last year.

Not sure how others feel , but I’m glad we kept pick 6 and got Bailey Smith . Wingard is hot and cold

Mofra
29-05-2019, 05:26 PM
Not sure how others feel , but I’m glad we kept pick 6 and got Bailey Smith . Wingard is hot and cold
By all accounts we were offering this years' first round pick.

Strangely, plenty of this year's first round appears to be medium forwards with goal sense, some of whom have midfield scope.

bornadog
29-05-2019, 05:46 PM

I am with you on this, how many have we seen over the years

Phil Krakouer Cowton, Gallagher, Winmar, Aker, Hall, Cloke off the top of my head.

bornadog
29-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Ia m glad we haven't got him. A premium price for a player that is not consistent.

G-Mo77
29-05-2019, 06:14 PM

Phil Cracker, Cowton, Gallagher, Winmar, Aker, Hall, Cloke off the top of my head.

Wills and Jackovich are a couple of gems to add to the list.

Mofra
30-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Whispers that Sam Power is being very proactive which is good to hear.

Shake the tree, see what might fall.

Remi Moses
30-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Phil Cracker, Cowton, Gallagher, Winmar, Aker, Hall, Cloke off the top of my head.

Cracker ? Come on Borna
Krakouer

bornadog
30-05-2019, 11:16 AM
Cracker ? Come on Borna
Krakouer

Cheers, getting too old. Bad mistake.:o

Grantysghost
30-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Phil Krakouer Cowton, Gallagher, Winmar, Aker, Hall, Cloke off the top of my head.

Could probably count Jakovich he was cooked !

bornadog
30-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Could probably count Jakovich he was cooked !

There are many more as well. Hall was one of the best recruits at the end of their career, kicking 80 goals and 55 the following injured ravaged year. I thought Aker's first three years with us were very good and went one year too long.

1eyedog
30-05-2019, 01:01 PM
We've tried to trade in keys in Cook, Minton-Connell, Hunter, MacDougall, Street, Bandy, Rawlings, Hall, Bartlett and that's not even mentioning Bate, Dawes or Gumby which for all intents and purposes a former Footy Dept were eager to get.

Mofra
30-05-2019, 01:26 PM
We've tried to trade in keys in Cook, Minton-Connell, Hunter, MacDougall, Street, Bandy, Rawlings, Hall, Bartlett and that's not even mentioning Bate, Dawes or Gumby which for all intents and purposes a former Footy Dept were eager to get.
The hyphen was good for us - I swear I was there at WO the one time in his entire career he marked above his head.

Street's loudest ever cheer as at Docklands when he took a running bounce, possibly the only one in his career as well.

bornadog
30-05-2019, 01:45 PM

It's the 30 plus year olds at the end of their career that I object to.

Rocket Science
30-05-2019, 02:08 PM
The hyphen was good for us - I swear I was there at WO the one time in his entire career he marked above his head.

Street's loudest ever cheer as at Docklands when he took a running bounce, possibly the only one in his career as well.

Fondly recalled. Streety's running bounce ranks up there with McLean scaling Tom Boyd's back and is surely just as statue-worthy.

KT31
30-05-2019, 06:04 PM

You forgot Jackovich:(

Rocket Science
30-05-2019, 06:32 PM
You forgot Jackovich:(

It's JAKOVICH!

Honour our greats properly please or don't mention them at all.

Grantysghost
30-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Kingsley Hunter says hi.

1eyedog
30-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Kingsley Hunter says hi.

He's in there

1eyedog
30-05-2019, 07:26 PM
An interesting question is who is the best player we have drafted in? Plough absolutely killed it. Any others?

Remi Moses
30-05-2019, 07:48 PM
It's JAKOVICH!

Honour our greats properly please or don't mention them at all.

I think it’s Jakovic with the little curser above the C . Been anglosised

Doc26
30-05-2019, 09:48 PM
An interesting question is who is the best player we have drafted in? Plough absolutely killed it. Any others?

Over a long and great career with us, the best player traded in would be Peter Foster from Fitzroy, and for less than 15k.

But for that single moment that we’d all being living for, what value do you put on the Boyd trade or even Biggs for that matter?

Twodogs
30-05-2019, 09:50 PM

Jose Romero was pretty good too.

Rocket Science
30-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Jose Romero was pretty good too.

Libba the Elder went alright for a Norf reject.

FrediKanoute
31-05-2019, 12:46 AM

Paul Hudson
Nathan Eagleton

Mofra
31-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Fossie will always be a favourite.
Tom Boyd just for his 2016.
Both the Hudsons were fantastic for us.
Hamling best value - signed for nothing, premiership CHB, nets us a late second rounder.

Libba Snr & Scott Wynd signed from under North's nose is our best swindle but not sure they qualify.

hujsh
31-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Is there any chance we can not turn this into a retrospective thread?

Axe Man
31-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Back on subject there had been some mentions of Peter Wright and Rory Thompson from the Suns - both have reportedly signed contract extensions.

bornadog
31-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Have we really defined what we need?

I am sure the Club has, but for our discussion, what type of player should we be targeting?

Personally I want to see an Eddie Betts type, but they are far and few between.

hujsh
31-05-2019, 11:43 AM

I am sure the Club has, but for our discussion, what type of player should we be targeting?

On that line of thought... Carlton players tend to excel once they leave Carlton. Anyone there we should target?

Mofra
31-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Back on subject there had been some mentions of Peter Wright and Rory Thompson from the Suns - both have reportedly signed contract extensions.
Yeah Rory signed a bit earlier in the year despite his ACL.
Sam Day has been left out a few times behind recent additions, he seems 'gettable' hence my interest.

Mitcha
31-05-2019, 12:14 PM
On that line of thought... Carlton players tend to excel once they leave Carlton. Anyone there we should target?
Liam Jones must come out of contract shortly!!!

Twodogs
31-05-2019, 12:28 PM

It's a contract year this year for him, he is out of contract at the end of this season. It's why he's playing well before his concussion.

1eyedog
31-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Good idea we need a forward!

bornadog
31-05-2019, 02:42 PM

Charlie

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2019, 08:38 PM

Eddie Betts is the exact prototype of ONE of the types we need, I agree 100%.
Charlie Cameron is one
Liam Ryan is one

Maybe Jack Martin is someone they are eyeing off for that role???

We should have gone for Garlett when Carlton tossed him aside cheaply.

All these boys are indigenous, and they seem to perform that particular role better than anyone.

I have a theory on Jack Martin which I will elaborate on in another post

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2019, 09:01 PM
When Adelaide went after Bryce Gibbs and got him, They paid, in my opinion, WWWAAAYYYY overs for him.

And the reason they did, was because they had a fixation about him, a romantic notion, nay, an obsession...... an internal pledge... 'we'll get him back one day, just wait and see'. They felt destiny had intended for them to 'be together'. Like Cathy and Heathcliff.

They saw their glittering prize, a young player they felt they had every right to claim as a SA kid and son of a local legend, snatched out from under their noses and since then, have harboured this simmering burning obsession with getting him back. In essence, they were in love with him. And it blinded them.

Now, to be honest, I have a similar feeling, though nowhere near as strong, about Jack Martin, and I wonder if the club in general does too.

I was so certain we were gonna get him back in his draft year. So certain he would be a 'once in a generation' superstar. A combination of Jezza, Blight, Winmar, Macleod etc etc etc............. and he would be a Bulldog. When Gold Coast pulled their slimy shifty stunt I was so pissed off.................

Now, Jack Martin hasn't proven to be this type of player,................yet................. but I think we can all see the potential there, and I would feel a certain sense of smug satisfaction to see him in a Bulldogs jumper.

I think he is the type of player we need as well....I just hope the powers that be don't pay too much for him like Adelaide did with Gibbs.
But I do hope we can land him. (because I love him)

Twodogs
01-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Heathcliff, its me, I'm Cathy I've come home at last...

Axe Man
07-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Moneyball: Latest trade whispers, contract talk on Jack Martin, Brayden Sier, Todd Goldstein and more (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-latest-trade-whispers-contract-talk-on-jack-martin-brayden-sier-todd-goldstein-and-more/news-story/6e37922f1862a47ca79d66b313504f86?fbclid=IwAR1Cgpln0YsIJaGPPl M_3afoPydlNf9yuEfp5ALJqmbwqGB10a3ZZVZPvYc)

Victorian clubs like Carlton and the Western Bulldogs keen to secure Gold Coast’s Jack Martin will have to open their chequebooks wide.

Martin’s contract talks are now all but certain to take place at the end of the season, with the 24-year-old not ruling out staying at the Suns.

But the asking price for Martin could get close to an incredible $4 million if a club is desperate to land him. A club near the bottom of the ladder might need to offer him $700,000 over five or six years. There is also the option of moving to a premier club that would lower the pay demands.

On his current form he isn’t worth anywhere near that, but in a buyer’s market clubs are aware that is how much he would cost.

It is amazing how much potential can cost in a market with few elite targets on offer.

At Fremantle they will be doing some juggling with their cap space to free up cash for Tim Kelly.

But even with Hayden Ballantyne, Aaron Sandilands and likely Harley Bennell retiring, they aren’t seen to have more than $700,000 a season available for the Cats flyer.

IS DARLING THE MAN FOR DOGS?

Jack Darling’s name has come up in trade discussions this week, linked by Perth media to the Western Bulldogs to beef up their attacking credentials.

He would be the perfect second forward behind Aaron Naughton, and they have the picks and inclination to secure a player of his calibre.

But he would come with a price tag approaching seven figures - and maybe even more - so they would have to pay top dollar to drag a player out of contract and out of a premiership club.

It is extraordinary money for a player who has blown hot and cold, but the Dogs do have as much cap space as anyone in the AFL this year after the retirements of Tom Boyd and Liam Picken.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2019, 01:35 PM
So our entire $1.6+M on just Martin & Darling.

Pass.

Jeanette54
07-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Not sure how much money we can spend, given The Bont's contract extension was only two years. That might be a very expensive re-sign if the team isn't performing better than it has been since 2016.

Mofra
07-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Not sure how much money we can spend, given The Bont's contract extension was only two years. That might be a very expensive re-sign if the team isn't performing better than it has been since 2016.
He's probably the highest paid player at the club right now, any increase surely won't cripple us.

It's not just Boyd's money - Picken, Dahl from last year, Dickson, and sadly Moz.

Wood is on very good coin too from memory (something like $750k signed when he was a premiership captain) and that expires in 2020.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Bont would be on about $800,000 I’d guess. As captain, he might demand a $200,000 rise to stay. Even $300,000 ($1.1m) is not much with a large cap.

Add Stringer, Biggs, Redders, Dahl and Dicko off the books recently/soon, and we have a LOT of cap on top of retaining all our better players. Plus the cap rises. Just got to get in some players who will make a difference.

Twodogs
08-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Bont would be on about $800,000 I’d guess. As captain, he might demand a $200,000 rise to stay. Even $300,000 ($1.1m) is not much with a large cap.

Add Stringer, Biggs, Redders, Dahl and Dicko off the books recently/soon, and we have a LOT of cap on top of retaining all our better players. Plus the cap rises. Just got to get in some players who will make a difference.

We have never spent the Hurley money either. I wonder if that is the same money as we were intending to spend on Wingard? I assume so.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2019, 01:44 PM
We have never spent the Hurley money either. I wonder if that is the same money as we were intending to spend on Wingard? I assume so.

The same. Sam Power seems to be fishing far and wide. Hopefully with this money he can reel a few good fishes in, and not make us North Mk2.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-06-2019, 08:15 PM
So our entire $1.6+M on just Martin & Darling.

Pass.

Agree. I would even consider picking up Roughead from the Hawks. Just like what happened with Hogde. I would go hard for a Blitzard or a Taylor from the Cats. I think we could do with a couple of oldies to do a job for 12/24 months until our guys come on. I would spend big on a couple of fast mids.

Remi Moses
10-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Roughead of the Jarryd variety is completely cooked .

bornadog
10-06-2019, 09:40 PM
Roughead of the Jarryd variety is completely cooked .

Would have him as an assistant coach, but not player

GVGjr
10-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Would have him as an assistant coach, but not player

Yep, he'd be an excellent development coach in so many ways

kruder
10-06-2019, 09:53 PM
If shaw doesn't get the norf job, surely we are having a chat.

bornadog
10-06-2019, 09:58 PM

For which role?

kruder
10-06-2019, 10:15 PM
Senior assistant. Would you stay if you don't get it? There is a lot of love for shaw and coming from his background I can understand why the players would like/relate him. He has been that naughty boy who's struggled at times, but once was shown some love in a strong culture played some really solid football. Anyone coming out of the Sydney culture should be looked at. Agree with the Roughead calls, would absolutely ideal as a coach also.

bornadog
10-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Senior assistant. Would you stay if you don't get it? There is a lot of love for shaw and coming from his background I can understand why the players would like/relate him. He has been that naughty boy who's struggled at times, but once was shown some love in a strong culture played some really solid football. Anyone coming out of the Sydney culture should be looked at. Agree with the Roughead calls, would absolutely ideal as a coach also.

I don't know much about him, but he does have a strong background.

Twodogs
11-06-2019, 12:41 PM

Good call but he only started at North this year so he may want to stay on even if he misses the main gig. Especially if it was to Longmire, you could learn a bit from him.

Axe Man
11-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Agree. I would even consider picking up Roughead from the Hawks. Just like what happened with Hogde. I would go hard for a Blitzard or a Taylor from the Cats. I think we could do with a couple of oldies to do a job for 12/24 months until our guys come on. I would spend big on a couple of fast mids.

Harry Taylor??? Also in the cooked category. I would expect him to retire at the end of the season, maybe 1 more season at best but I can't see the point of getting him and can't imagine he would play anywhere but the cats.

Blicavs is on a long term contact (until the end of 2023), he's not going anywhere.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 11:19 AM
I assume he stays at the Crows but this guy is just what we need.

Crows keen to sign hot defender as Vic clubs put out the feelers (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-12/crows-keen-to-sign-hot-defender-as-vic-clubs-put-out-the-feelers)

ADELAIDE is doing everything it can to retain out-of-contract defender Alex Keath as Victorian rivals circle for his signature.

The 27-year-old former cricketer has been a revelation this season, with his intercept marking and positional play putting him in the discussion for All Australian honours.

Keath has played 24 career games, with half of those coming this season, but is yet to ink a new deal with the Crows.

Veteran Richard Douglas said it was imperative the Crows hung on to Keath, who joined the club as a category B rookie at the end of 2015.

"The club would be very keen to secure Alex," Douglas told reporters on Wednesday.

"His development this year has been outstanding.

"I understand he'd be in high demand, particularly back in Victoria, but for the club and for Alex, it'd be fantastic to get a deal done."

The 197cm Keath has averaged 17.8 disposals and 6.3 marks per game this season.

He is ranked first in the competition for intercepts with 107 at an average of 8.92, while he is 20th in the League for marks.

Keath also won the Showdown Medal for his 26-disposal, five-mark performance in his side's 20-point win against Port Adelaide in round eight.

He will play a vital role as the resurgent Crows aim for their third straight win when they host Richmond at Adelaide Oval on Thursday night.

Mofra
13-06-2019, 11:21 AM
He's AA quality, I watched him closely last week and Keath was brilliant. Shep boy so it's not like it's purely a Melbourne go-home factor and he lived in Adelaide for years playing cricket prior to starting his AFL career.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 11:43 AM
He's AA quality, I watched him closely last week and Keath was brilliant. Shep boy so it's not like it's purely a Melbourne go-home factor and he lived in Adelaide for years playing cricket prior to starting his AFL career.

I suspect you are right, the only chance we get him is with a godfather offer that the Crows can't come close to matching. Bit of a risk with so few games under his belt but I hope we are at least are asking the question.

Webby
13-06-2019, 01:43 PM
I remember Keath fielding for Australia in a Test match on the MCG about eight or nine years back. Just as a substitute fielder, but a pretty good string to the bow. I recall Gold Coast were super keen to draft him (early), so CA swiftly got him on contract and tried to fast track him.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 01:54 PM
I remember Keath fielding for Australia in a Test match on the MCG about eight or nine years back. Just as a substitute fielder, but a pretty good string to the bow. I recall Gold Coast were super keen to draft him (early), so CA swiftly got him on contract and tried to fast track him.

Gold Coast did draft him as a 17 year old under their special concessions but he took up a Cricket Victoria contract instead.

Happy Days
13-06-2019, 02:21 PM
I’ve mentioned it on here before but Keath is the player we should be targeting. The stars are perfectly aligned on him.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 02:31 PM
I’ve mentioned it on here before but Keath is the player we should be targeting. The stars are perfectly aligned on him.

Nah the stars got rid of him years ago, the 1 over he bowled that went for 27 sealed his fate.;)

bornadog
13-06-2019, 02:35 PM

Melbourne also chasing him.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Melbourne also chasing him.

How many tall defenders do Melbourne need? Would have thought that was the least of their worries.

bornadog
13-06-2019, 02:39 PM
How many tall defenders do Melbourne need? Would have thought that was the least of their worries.

Yeah a strange one.

The Adelaide Connection
14-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Here is one that is high risk-high reward and perhaps a bit out of left field- Nic Natanui.

He is a retstricted free agent and apparently WC have offered him 3 years on peanuts (after he has been on close to a million the last few years).

Could we throw a more lucrative deal his way? He strikes me as a loyal fellow, but he also strikes me as someone that would be interested in a new life experience and broadening the horizons.

Thinking laterally, the marketing opportunities alone would be significant for him in the big smoke and we could put that as part of a package to him. He would certainly pull some members on board and get a few extra bums on seat on game day too, so that couldn't hurt our bottom line.

The knees are obviously a huge risk, but can you imagine if we got him and he stayed fit?

Happy Days
14-06-2019, 12:31 AM
Here is one that is high risk-high reward and perhaps a bit out of left field- Nic Natanui.

He is a retstricted free agent and apparently WC have offered him 3 years on peanuts (after he has been on close to a million the last few years).

Could we throw a more lucrative deal his way? He strikes me as a loyal fellow, but he also strikes me as someone that would be interested in a new life experience and broadening the horizons.

Thinking laterally, the marketing opportunities alone would be significant for him in the big smoke and we could put that as part of a package to him. He would certainly pull some members on board and get a few extra bums on seat on game day too, so that couldn't hurt our bottom line.

The knees are obviously a huge risk, but can you imagine if we got him and he stayed fit?

I like the thinking but this is a total pipe dream. West Coast already have three years on the table for him and you’d struggle to find a player more beloved by a fan base.

Plus he’s a Jordan Peterson bro so I don’t want him on our team anyway.

The Adelaide Connection
14-06-2019, 12:46 AM
I like the thinking but this is a total pipe dream. West Coast already have three years on the table for him and you’d struggle to find a player more beloved by a fan base.

So you offer him four and more money (and a new fan base that will adore him just as much).

You're right, it's pretty darn unlikely. But who knows... more time, more money, and the lure of a new experience might make him take notice. It's worth a crack.

Twodogs
14-06-2019, 12:18 PM

So he comes to another bunch of fans of the west who will love him immediately! And this one is in Melbourne, the centre of the footy universe.

Rocket Science
14-06-2019, 01:14 PM

Hang on wot?

Say it ain't so.

Twodogs
14-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Who is Jordan Peterson? The only one I know of is a bit of a wanker and I'm pretty sure that we aren't talking about him. He writes about politics and religion.

Rocket Science
14-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Who is Jordan Peterson? The only one I know of is a bit of a wanker and I'm pretty sure that we aren't talking about him. He writes about politics and religion.

Yep. I'm tipping that's the one.

Twodogs
14-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Yep. I'm tipping that's the one.

Oh OK. What's he got to do with footy?

hujsh
14-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Oh OK. What's he got to do with footy?

He said the Bulldogs suck*.

*May not have actually said this

Happy Days
14-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Nothing specifically, but if Nicnat takes up JBP’s all-meat diet then he might die while he’s under contract.

Twodogs
14-06-2019, 06:58 PM
He said the Bulldogs suck*.

*May not have actually said this

That only makes up for Louis Theroux's man love for us.

Rocket Science
15-06-2019, 05:28 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Y8tK5Nn/Screen-Shot-2019-06-15-at-4-26-30-PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

If he goes to the Suns instead of us I'll spew up. Why aren't we in his ear?

Though the AFEL will probably chip in to make sure it happens.

azabob
15-06-2019, 06:24 PM

You can google also ;)

The Adelaide Connection
15-06-2019, 08:14 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Y8tK5Nn/Screen-Shot-2019-06-15-at-4-26-30-PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

If he goes to the Suns instead of us I'll spew up. Why aren't we in his ear?

Though the AFEL will probably chip in to make sure it happens.

Do you think we would want him for purely off-field, or look to give him a year or Rookie him maybe?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Do you think we would want him for purely off-field, or look to give him a year or Rookie him maybe?

Sounds like he's going to GCS. But to the question, off field. He was cooked as a footballer last year.

Happy Days
16-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Reilly O'Brien is out of contract at Adelaide; I mentioned him as a player we should have targeted last year and he's played some excellent football having been given the chance with Sauce Jacob's injury. He's probably the most "ruckman" of all the ruckmen in the league at doing stuff like missing the ball with his foot or forgetting how to handball or whatever, but he's also a mammoth in ruck contests and the best long-distance runner over 200cm in the comp. Your faith in English as a long-term ruck solution may vary your opinion, but I think we can easily play them both and having O'Brien would make us a far better side right now.

Adelaide are good to deal with in the sense that they throw temper tantrums if anyone decides to leave the cult, and I'm also really interested in Keath. Any way we could get them both?

wimberga
16-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Just watching a bit of North vs GWS - should we consider putting a bit of money in front of Sam Durdin? Good age, good size and could potentially help our defensive stocks.

Note - this is the first time I have seen him play for a couple of years so I don't really know how he is going, but he is doing a good job today and I haven't heard his name mentioned.

Happy Days
20-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Port have dropped Paddy Ryder, which is astonishing and to me indicates that he won’t be re-signing. He’s definitely someone we should strongly consider.

GVGjr
20-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Port have dropped Paddy Ryder, which is astonishing and to me indicates that he won’t be re-signing. He’s definitely someone we should strongly consider.

His injury struggles and now form might be a concern.

The Adelaide Connection
20-06-2019, 11:21 PM

Depends on the price i guess. He has had a wretched run with injuries and seems to have fallen off a cliff. I think they have tried to bring him back too quickly out of desperation a few times and I wonder if he is now paying the price.

Mofra
21-06-2019, 10:00 AM

He'd be on a million with his third party deals. He'd earn more staying in WA on minimum salary than he would coming to us on overs.

Mofra
21-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Just watching a bit of North vs GWS - should we consider putting a bit of money in front of Sam Durdin? Good age, good size and could potentially help our defensive stocks.

Note - this is the first time I have seen him play for a couple of years so I don't really know how he is going, but he is doing a good job today and I haven't heard his name mentioned.
North fans have spent the better part of 12 months deriding Scott for not playing Durdin, he was banging the door down at VFL level.
Would be a good get but I'd suggest with Daw still out and Thompson on his last legs they would want to keep him.

I actually think Tarrant might be gettable though as they'll want to pair Durdin with Ben McKay and develop them together.

lemmon
21-06-2019, 03:48 PM
Depends on the price i guess. He has had a wretched run with injuries and seems to have fallen off a cliff. I think they have tried to bring him back too quickly out of desperation a few times and I wonder if he is now paying the price.

31 year old with a long injury history - I wonder whether Port would be open to doing Hawthorn and letting him go for not much?

I think just training with him daily would be a huge help to Tim English, and I think Paddy is the kind of player that would play 70% ruck and 30% forward - supporting both Tim and Naughton. I think he'd be great for a few years.

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Interesting to see what happens:

It is believed Ryder is seeking a new two-year contract but the Power are keen to sign him for one.

“It’s not even a question I want to entertain, but I expect Paddy to be at our club next year,” Hinkley told reporters on Friday.

“Paddy’s a part of our furniture and he’s much loved at our football club. Just because he gets a bit older, everyone starts to jump at conclusions.

“This bloke’s just a little bit out of form, he’s not getting thrown out of our footy club. We love him too much.”

SquirrelGrip
21-06-2019, 09:51 PM
31 year old with a long injury history - I wonder whether Port would be open to doing Hawthorn and letting him go for not much?

I think just training with him daily would be a huge help to Tim English, and I think Paddy is the kind of player that would play 70% ruck and 30% forward - supporting both Tim and Naughton. I think he'd be great for a few years.

Agreed. Perfect for a couple of years and would enable Timmy some forward time with Shack and Astro, or even go down there himself.

The Adelaide Connection
21-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Jackson would be able to give us some insight into the type of bloke he is. Everybody seemed to love Jackson at Port and, if we were keen, he could be a real asset in helping to get him across.

ratsmac
21-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Paddy was probably part of the reason that Trengove couldn't get game at Port in the end. I doubt he'd be endorsing Paddy Ryder to come to the dogs.

Rocket Science
21-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Jackson would be able to give us some insight into the type of bloke he is. Everybody seemed to love Jackson at Port and, if we were keen, he could be a real asset in helping to get him across.

You've just given me a raging case of deja vu.

Grantysghost
22-06-2019, 12:39 AM

From my understanding the only player from Port he would welcome is Powell-Pepper, although doubt he's the type of player we would be chasing.

GVGjr
22-06-2019, 07:36 AM
From my understanding the only player from Port he would welcome is Powell-Pepper, although doubt he's the type of player we would be chasing.

FWIW I think we would be very interested in Powell-Pepper.

Remi Moses
22-06-2019, 09:32 AM
Heard Brad Hill wants back to Melbourne from Neroli Meadows last night
Neroli’s a freo fan and Hills partner is from here and wants back .
Apparently he wanted back to Hawthorn last trade period
He’d be ideal

Dancin' Douggy
22-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Yes brad hill would be a good addition.

azabob
22-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Heard Brad Hill wants back to Melbourne from Neroli Meadows last night
Neroli’s a freo fan and Hills partner is from here and wants back .
Apparently he wanted back to Hawthorn last trade period
He’d be ideal

Seriously? Yeah Brad Hill would be perfect.

bornadog
22-06-2019, 11:22 AM
Seriously? Yeah Brad Hill would be perfect.
Would you take the brothers?

G-Mo77
22-06-2019, 11:32 AM

I'd put their Mother on the list if we could get them both.

bulldogtragic
22-06-2019, 11:44 AM
I'd put their Mother on the list if we could get them both.

Surely Gordon Legal is looking for an admin assistant on $200,000. For both Hills.

Axe Man
22-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Griffin Logue, key defender from Freo is out of contract. Played his first game of the year last week after the injury to Pearce and reportedly did well.

Has anyone seen much of him, MJP perhaps?

azabob
22-06-2019, 01:48 PM

Yeah I would. Stephen Hill has had a poor run with injuries but yeah I’d overlook that.

GVGjr
22-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Griffin Logue, key defender from Freo is out of contract. Played his first game of the year last week after the injury to Pearce and reportedly did well.

Has anyone seen much of him, MJP perhaps?

I think he might be a player without a true position but yes maybe a KP defender is his best spot. He's just 21 and his best football might still be a few years away. I can't see him leaving the west though and they would want something decent in return

The Doctor
24-06-2019, 08:11 PM
What about poaching draft picks? if the AFL don't change the rules and we still get access to Jamarra Ugle-Hagen (touted as a possible top 5 pick) then;

1. trading our 1st round pick in 2020 would seem a logical move. WE could potentially use that to receive a decent 1st round pick this year. Giving us 2 1st round picks and access to the highly talented attacking players available in this years draft that we badly need.

2. Then knowing we have 3 picks in the top 25 we might package any or all of our 3 3rd picks this year to either move up the order in the 2019 draft to secure another high draft pick or look for a package deal of draft pick/s in the 2020 draft to enable us to secure JUH.

bulldogtragic
24-06-2019, 08:37 PM
What about poaching draft picks? if the AFL don't change the rules and we still get access to Jamarra Ugle-Hagen (touted as a possible top 5 pick) then;

1. trading our 1st round pick in 2020 would seem a logical move. WE could potentially use that to receive a decent 1st round pick this year. Giving us 2 1st round picks and access to the highly talented attacking players available in this years draft that we badly need.

2. Then knowing we have 3 picks in the top 25 we might package any or all of our 3 3rd picks this year to either move up the order in the 2019 draft to secure another high draft pick or look for a package deal of draft pick/s in the 2020 draft to enable us to secure JUH.

If we are allowed to keep the player we've been developing, in JUH, then we need to do something with the 2020 first rounder if the 'top 5 forecast' stays with him. I'm working on a few different scenarios (draft point calculation heavy) that I'll put in the BTs early list management thread in the next week or so. There's a hell of a lot of moving parts.

Pickenitup
24-06-2019, 09:01 PM
If we finish bottom four and it’s looking likely should we get in a year early and offer our first and second pick for Jeremy Cameron?
We certainly have the money for him.

Twodogs
24-06-2019, 09:43 PM
If we finish bottom four and it’s looking likely should we get in a year early and offer our first and second pick for Jeremy Cameron?
We certainly have the money for him.

The Giants do love having early draft picks so it could be worth considering. I'd want something back the other way though.

Axe Man
25-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Reports that Tom Papley could request a trade back to Victoria. Contracted until the end of 2020 so wouldn't be cheap but would certainly fill a small forward need for us.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Reports that Tom Papley could request a trade back to Victoria. Contracted until the end of 2020 so wouldn't be cheap but would certainly fill a small forward need for us.

I'm all in on that. I was hoping one of their small forwards would come up, and Sydney I imagine would like some extra picks in their rebuild.

comrade
25-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Papley is exactly the type we need.

Happy Days
25-06-2019, 12:16 PM
+1 for Papley. They'd (rightly) want a first rounder though and I'm not willing to do that.

The Swans are probably the most willing club in the league to do player-for-player swaps, but again though, I don't know who we could give up of equal value or how we create equal value that way.

jeemak
25-06-2019, 12:46 PM
+1 for Papley. They'd (rightly) want a first rounder though and I'm not willing to do that.

The Swans are probably the most willing club in the league to do player-for-player swaps, but again though, I don't know who we could give up of equal value or how we create equal value that way.

We'd have to trade a first round pick in, or give up a decent player and a current draft or future pick.

I'd love to have him on the list.

Mofra
25-06-2019, 02:12 PM

I'd offer our 2020 first rounder. He's not just an outside small forward finisher, he's strong and has mongrel. I love that competitive streak.

Happy Days
25-06-2019, 04:14 PM
I’ve had a bit of a look around and I’d be pretty surprised if Papley wants out. Grew up a swans supporter with a family connection to the club, rookie draftee and vice captain.

Those are the sort of players that don’t leave (unless they play for us).

Rocket Science
25-06-2019, 04:42 PM
I’ve had a bit of a look around and I’d be pretty surprised if Papley wants out. Grew up a swans supporter with a family connection to the club, rookie draftee and vice captain.

Those are the sort of players that don’t leave (unless they play for us).

Ignoring all that blatant common sense ... lets pretend he does want out. What makes anyone think he'd be eager to come our way?

Axe Man
25-06-2019, 04:54 PM
FYI this is the article I was referring to, which in turn references a HUN article from last week:

SWANS COACH RESPONDS TO PAPLEY TRADE RUMOURS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/06/23/swans-coach-responds-to-papley-trade-rumours/?fbclid=IwAR2MFdXBNOYSud7ZOllhoba-60Io3-Bz-oowwsCo73DCAHnxQzH2QzslSMk)

Sydney forward Tom Papley has been linked with a move to Victoria at season’s end and his strong run of form would only be increasing his value.

The 22-year-old has kicked 23 goals this year and would be in All-Australian contention as a small forward.

The Herald Sun on Friday mentioned Carlton as a team interested in acquiring Papley, who remains contracted through to 2020.

Swans coach John Longmire was full of praise for him.

“He’s contracted until the end of next year and he’s a very good young player and we’re not getting caught up in the chatter,” he said.

“He’s loving his footy, he’s in our leadership group, he’s a beauty.

“He’d be a very important part of the future of the Sydney Swans and a very good young player.”

Carlton is crying out for a small forward and CEO Cain Liddle told the Two Tones podcast they will be targeting one in the trade period.

“Very clearly, we’ve got the makings of a once-in-a-generation forward line through Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay,” he said.

“We now need to do some work in terms of that small crumbing defensive forward. I think most Carlton supporters can see that.

“But we can be very targeted with that.”

Probably just pure speculation by the journos about Papley, but Carlton will chase a small forward and we should looking to do the same. There was a recent article that linked us to Tippa, among others.

Dry Rot
25-06-2019, 07:51 PM
FYI this is the article I was referring to, which in turn references a HUN article from last week:

Probably just pure speculation by the journos about Papley, but Carlton will chase a small forward and we should looking to do the same.

Butler or Bolton from the Tigers?

Twodogs
25-06-2019, 08:09 PM
Butler or Bolton from the Tigers?

Boton would be really good. He's gettable too I reckon.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Shai Bolton's spent three years in the system, for 16 games, 10 goals, averages 2 tackles.

What am I missing with him?

The Doctor
25-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Papley was involved in one my favourite passages of play of all time. He was the one Biggs smothered in the Wall of Biggs goal

bulldogtragic
26-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Afel.com.au

Reporting Melbourne heavily after Langdon from Freo. $500,000-$550,000. Reiterates that we have apparent interest too.

chef
27-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Langdons not what we need though.

ReLoad
27-06-2019, 08:52 AM
we could really do with some more half back flankers...........

Mofra
27-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Langdons not what we need though.
We need a second wing to pair with Hunter. We are definitely after outside speed so I'm not surprised we're interested.