PDA

View Full Version : How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games

Axe Man
26-04-2019, 10:20 AM
I'm interested in MJP's take on this:

How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/how-sydney-stack-went-from-being-ignored-in-two-drafts-last-year-to-cult-hero-status-in-four-games/news-story/810cef6a6f18d0553b3fd2f8810fcba5)

The final straw for one club came when Sydney Stack failed to show up for work.

Stack had last year started a bank traineeship in Perth, but his sudden no-show was enough for this club’s recruiting team.

“You’re just thinking, ‘Gee whiz mate, footy is a grind. You can’t just not turn up whenever you feel like it’,” the recruiting chief said.

“You obviously start asking: ‘How will he go meeting the requirements and punctuality at AFL level?”

In a year in which Stack was turfed from the AFL Academy, kicked out of the WA State Academy, stood down for the first game of the under 18 championships and lost his licence, AFL clubs assessing his draft worth didn’t need Sherlock Holmes to discover his wayward nature.

Despite possessing an on-field talent many clubs rated as first-round worthy, they were outweighed by the off-field problems.

It goes some way to explaining the now inconceivable — how Richmond’s four-game, 18-year-old cult-hero could be ignored in last year’s national and rookie drafts.

The Tigers themselves didn’t take him with any of their four national draft picks and then overlooked him with their five rookie draft picks before choosing the ‘try before you buy’ approach in the new supplemental selection period.

Rival recruiters contacted by the Herald Sun praised Richmond for taking the risk they were never going to.

“I still remember when he left our interview thinking, ‘S. t i’d love to take a punt on this kid’. You realised footy could change his life, but we didn’t have the foundations set up enough to support him off-field,” one talent spotter said.

“It’s not a cheap exercise relocating a kid and you’re trying to evaluate where will they live and who will they mix with. There’s a lot that goes into it.

“Full credit to Richmond … but keep in mind they’ve got 100,000 members so budget isn’t such a big deal. For other clubs you’re weighing up risk versus reward.

“You hope it does all hold together because if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid. He’s not going to become a builder or something like that because he lacks the discipline.”

One club’s list manager said: “He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field, but there was never any doubting his IQ on-field.

“You have to be able to sit back and ask, ‘Does the talent stack up and is the off-field stuff going to affect the on-field?

“You then have to assess your own club. Have we got the resources to give this a chance?

“This is where Richmond have done really well. They’ve clearly put things in place to minimise that risk.”

Incredibly, Damien Hardwick took Stack under his roof in December and for a week in January. He now lives with former Saint and Lion and development coach Xavier Clarke.

“It was massive for ‘Dimma’ to take him in,” one recruiter said.

“Daniel Rioli was completely different. He’s got a good sense of humour and is quite cheeky, whereas Sydney was a bit of a hard-arse … and didn’t trust many people and you can’t blame him for that because that’s what he’d grown up with.”

One recruiter who had followed Stack’s journey said idle time had been the danger.

“He comes from a really tough background, but during the footy season he always had focus. When there was no footy was the big worry,” he said.

“But perhaps the only way he was going to make it was how Richmond did it.”

WA State Academy

Dumped, then reinstated

National Draft

Ignored

Rookie Draft

Overlooked

Rocket Science
26-04-2019, 11:37 AM
Everything about this story is ace.

Richmond must be thrilled to date, but they deserve real admiration for essentially undertaking to help rehabilitate someone in the process. I still hate their guts but I hope he kicks on.

List-wise, Stack's everything we're completely devoid of at the moment.

macca
26-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Everything about this story is ace.

Richmond must be thrilled to date, but they deserve real admiration for essentially undertaking to help rehabilitate someone in the process. I still hate their guts but I hope he kicks on.

List-wise, Stack's everything we're completely devoid of at the moment.

Well done to Richmond for taking the punt , investment and care for this young man

This is a good story regardless how much I dislike them succeeding ahead of us( healthy rivalry)

But it shows how much risk there is to take on certain players . Off field welfare and development is so important .

After reading some other comments I like to add : well done to Syd for achieving this and proving he can play at AFL despite all the challenges he has faced in his life. He should be extremely proud and I hope he makes a good life out of it regardless of how many games he ends up playing .

GVGjr
26-04-2019, 12:59 PM
RSN has some interesting things to say why no clubs were that interested.
It essentially came down to Stack apparently missing sessions without a good reason why and being disruptive with others.

Even Richmond overlooked him for the main draft but he boarded with the Hardwick family prior to the Rookie draft and apparently impressed the club with his attitude.

It was never about talent it was about if he could display the professional attitude.

mjp
26-04-2019, 02:06 PM
One day the truth will be written.

Today is not going to be that day.

Axe Man
26-04-2019, 02:19 PM
One day the truth will be written.

Today is not going to be that day.

You don't need to elaborate but I gather from your response and previous posts that you do not agree with this version of events?

hujsh
26-04-2019, 02:30 PM
You don't need to elaborate but I gather from your response and previous posts that you do not agree with this version of events?

Perhaps the actual reason he didn't turn up for his traineeship might help clarify?

mjp
26-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Perhaps the actual reason he didn't turn up for his traineeship might help clarify?

Well, maybe ask yourself what might have happened to explain this:

1/. He simply decided after 4-months and successfully completing probation that he didn't want to go to work anymore (to a job that he really liked).

2/. He really had nowhere to live and zero transport once the family he had been staying with had their new baby arrive. So he was jumping from house to house and couch to couch and getting to work wasn't exactly a matter of asking his mum or dad to take him to the station.

Articles like this are so B.S.

"we wanted to take him...".

"full credit to Richmond..."

It's called arse covering.

As for the stories about being kicked out of the academy and working back in and all of that, yep, well...that skirts around the truth.

How about everyone stop and do one thing - give full credit to Syd for everything he did as a junior despite some incredible adversity. Zero credit to the AFL and its clubs for the support they gave him over the past 18-months.

Zero credit for the AFL and its clubs for not drafting him when everyone in the world knew he was a top 20 pick...

Saying you want to make a middle class kid from Williamstown show that he 'really wants it' is one thing. Saying the same to a dirt poor kid from Northam? That's something else entirely.

Remi Moses
26-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Heard him on radio the other night saying he had to get out of WA

mjp
26-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Heard him on radio the other night saying he had to get out of WA

Did he sound like he had a 'low off-field IQ'?

What a load of crap.

hujsh
26-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Well, maybe ask yourself what might have happened to explain this:

1/. He simply decided after 4-months and successfully completing probation that he didn't want to go to work anymore (to a job that he really liked).

2/. He really had nowhere to live and zero transport once the family he had been staying with had their new baby arrive. So he was jumping from house to house and couch to couch and getting to work wasn't exactly a matter of asking his mum or dad to take him to the station.

Articles like this are so B.S.

"we wanted to take him...".

"full credit to Richmond..."

It's called arse covering.

As for the stories about being kicked out of the academy and working back in and all of that, yep, well...that skirts around the truth.

How about everyone stop and do one thing - give full credit to Syd for everything he did as a junior despite some incredible adversity. Zero credit to the AFL and its clubs for the support they gave him over the past 18-months.

Zero credit for the AFL and its clubs for not drafting him when everyone in the world knew he was a top 20 pick...

Saying you want to make a middle class kid from Williamstown show that he 'really wants it' is one thing. Saying the same to a dirt poor kid from Northam? That's something else entirely.

Yeah I thought as much.

ledge
26-04-2019, 05:26 PM
I wonder how long it will last, if he can make a career out if it or will it just be a one season thing?

mjp
26-04-2019, 05:50 PM
I wonder how long it will last, if he can make a career out if it or will it just be a one season thing?

Now you sound like a recruiter.

Let the chips fall where they may. He has already played more games than Porter (and I am not trying to throw him under a bus) and has been in the system for 1 year less. As for this years picks, I refuse to accept that we couldnt have picked Syd in the Hayes spot (or the Cavarra spot) and grabbed one of those two as a rookie. Sweet? He should be a VFL only player who we are 'keeping an eye on' because there is no way his pre-draft performances in any area apart from 'height' said 'SHOULD BE ON AN AFL LIST'.

You talk to people. You get to know them. You ignore white noise and back your club and your environment. You work out if they are 'driven' to succeed...

With Syd (and with his cousin Bobby who fell down draft boards to GWS in the late 20's) they have come from a LONG way back (Syd especially) and have ALWAYS succeeded on field. They are super fit (meaning they train hard), lean and mean (low skinnies = look after themselves), skilful and get the ball. Do they have some less than ideal social habits a bit representative of those from a pretty low socio-economic background? Well, yeah. Because they are from a LOW SOCIO-Economic background and so are all their friends. But given they are fit, skilful and lean as whippets, those habits cannot be THAT bad can they.

I said Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan should have been top 10 picks and feel more comfortable talking about those two than I do Syd and Bobby but the AFL clubs let them slide through for a few years each as well...Marlion Pickett STILL can't get a go. Gordy Narrier got overlooked, then was given one year by North on a rookie list and shipped home.

You want talented players at your club who can run like lightening, kick through the eye of a needle and have genuinely overcome 'obstacles' to play footy? Well, it's pretty easy. DRAFT THEM!!!

The Adelaide Connection
26-04-2019, 05:52 PM

Being that he was a supplementary signing (am I right in saying that would make him a rookie?), I wonder if he is worth pursuing should his outstanding form continue. He walks into most teams on current form and ours is one that lacks this type of player more than most.

If nothing else, it would force Richmond to spend more than they would like on his next contract.

mjp
26-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Being that he was a supplementary signing (am I right in saying that would make him a rookie?), I wonder if he is worth pursuing should his outstanding form continue. He walks into most teams on current form and ours is one that lacks this type of player more than most.

If nothing else, it would force Richmond to spend more than they would like on his next contract.

He's a rookie/on the rookie list.

comrade
26-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Spot on, mjp.

In regards to the Bulldogs, we have pulled the trigger on the likes of Shane Thorne and Zeph Skinner previously, with both being unmitigated failures. Is it just a matter of picking the wrong player in these cases or is our environment not set up to assist those that do come from further back than your average kid from the Melbourne burb?

Rocket Science
26-04-2019, 06:17 PM
You want talented players at your club who can run like lightening, kick through the eye of a needle and have genuinely overcome 'obstacles' to play footy? Well, it's pretty easy. DRAFT THEM!!!

We've traditionally had an aversion to taking players like this. At least ones that pan out. And it shows on our list.

Are we simply disinclined to gamble on boom/bust types in favour of low risk, blue collar types?

Cos they ain't doing much to help our scoring woes.

Twodogs
26-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Now you sound like a recruiter.

Let the chips fall where they may. He has already played more games than Porter (and I am not trying to throw him under a bus) and has been in the system for 1 year less. As for this years picks, I refuse to accept that we couldnt have picked Syd in the Hayes spot (or the Cavarra spot) and grabbed one of those two as a rookie. Sweet? He should be a VFL only player who we are 'keeping an eye on' because there is no way his pre-draft performances in any area apart from 'height' said 'SHOULD BE ON AN AFL LIST'.

You talk to people. You get to know them. You ignore white noise and back your club and your environment. You work out if they are 'driven' to succeed...

With Syd (and with his cousin Bobby who fell down draft boards to GWS in the late 20's) they have come from a LONG way back (Syd especially) and have ALWAYS succeeded on field. They are super fit (meaning they train hard), lean and mean (low skinnies = look after themselves), skilful and get the ball. Do they have some less than ideal social habits a bit representative of those from a pretty low socio-economic background? Well, yeah. Because they are from a LOW SOCIO-Economic background and so are all their friends. But given they are fit, skilful and lean as whippets, those habits cannot be THAT bad can they.

I said Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan should have been top 10 picks and feel more comfortable talking about those two than I do Syd and Bobby but the AFL clubs let them slide through for a few years each as well...Marlion Pickett STILL can't get a go. Gordy Narrier got overlooked, then was given one year by North on a rookie list and shipped home.

And develop them properly. And don't run a million miles if they do anything unusual.

Happy Days
26-04-2019, 08:26 PM
And develop them properly. And don't run a million miles if they do anything unusual.

Thinking of anyone in particular here? I know I am.

Twodogs
26-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Thinking of anyone in particular here? I know I am.

Lots but yeah, you're right on.

Mofra
26-04-2019, 09:29 PM
Ghosty Lynch is the closest player I can think of on our list from a lower socio-economic background. We used to almost seek those types out.

What have Brett Goodes & Angus Monfries been doing while we draft private schoolboys?

Axe Man
18-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Richmond recruiter reveals how Tigers plotted Sydney Stack coup (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-recruiter-reveals-how-tigers-plotted-sydney-stack-recruiting-coup/news-story/34dcc0d88a81d9d7b4238e8569323b17)

Richmond expected Sydney Stack would be overlooked in the draft despite being one of the country’s top junior talents. And when it happened, a plan swung into action.

Sydney Stack’s arrival at Richmond was the result of a months-long recruiting plan.

The Tigers pounced after Stack was overlooked in the national and pre-season drafts, taking advantage of new AFL rules that allowed clubs to leave a vacant spot on their list.

“The new rules opening up gave us great flexibility to say, ‘Hey, we can try before we buy’ in a sense,” Richmond recruiting manager Matt Clarke said.

“We were on the front foot early which he was really happy with, and his manager as well, to get him over and train.

“We had some really good advice from the WA talent guys as well around what that would look like if he did come over — where he would live, who he would live with and all those types of things — so we had a plan in place pretty quickly and set it in motion as quick as we could.”

After a two-month trial Stack joined the Tigers in February under new rules that allow clubs to sign players in the pre-season supplementary selection period. Other players signed during the SSP include Essendon ruckman Zac Clarke, Carlton’s Michael Gibbons and Demon Jay Lockhart.

Clarke told the Road to the Draft podcast the Tigers had tracked Stack since he was a 16-year-old. Recruiters had their ears to the ground and expected the explosive utility, now second-favourite for the Rising Star Award, to slip through both drafts last November despite being one of the top-rated talents in the country.

“Sydney had some challenges in his life growing up. His talent was always there, there was no questioning that, and obviously we can see that now, it was just whether his commitment to football outside the football environment was at the level required,” Clarke said.

“He’d made some mistakes along the way.

“It was just a matter of finding the balance for him of actually saying ... can I stay committed to football, and they were probably the doubts we had and other clubs obviously had those as well.

“Getting to the draft we had a plan that if he had got through, and our information was that he was likely to get through the national draft, not sure about the rookie draft, but we’d made some contact with his manager between both those drafts, on the night and the day after, that if that did occur he could come and train under the new rules, so we were happy to leave a spot open and go that way.

“As we got to the rookie draft once again our information was that he was going to get through and we’d offer him a lifeline to come over and train just to see how committed he was to the program.”

Stack immediately impressed the coaches with his dedication on the track — tales of him repeatedly throwing up have become legendary — and his spark off the field.

“He’s quite annoying,” Clarke said, laughing.

“When he came over and he started living with Damien and the Hardwicks, who have been fantastic in that area with (Daniel) Rioli and a couple of other boys, Damien was talking to me a couple of days later and saying, ‘What have you given me?’. I was a bit shocked and asked what happened and he just said ‘He won’t stop talking’.”

Stack has played every game since making his debut in Round 3, averaging 17.3 disposals, 5.3 marks, 3.1 tackles and booting nine goals, while amassing a brilliant highlight reel.

He is in a two-way race with Carlton’s Sam Walsh for the Rising Star. Walsh is $.125 favourite with TAB ahead of Stack at $4. Third in line in betting is Geelong’s Gyan Miers ($13).

Clarke said Richmond probably would have picked Stack in the rookie draft if the SSP rules weren’t available, but it wasn’t a sure thing.

He also provided an update on another young indigenous talent, Maurice Rioli Jr. The son of late Richmond champion Maurice Rioli is enrolled at Scotch College in Hawthorn and is eligible for next year’s draft under the father-son rule.

“He’s progressing pretty well, he’s a pretty hard-at-it unit and skilled as well, so it’s a matter of getting his conditioning and running and all those things, and diet, that the school is fantastic with,” Clarke said.

“He’ll be able to come in later in the year, post the season finishing, and do some work with us, but he’s a very talented young boy.

“We don’t want to push him too hard, we know where he needs to get to and that’s a journey that will take a little bit of time ... but by the end of next year hopefully he’s made some progress in those areas.”

Axe Man
21-12-2020, 12:35 PM
Solid career move

Stack's AFL career in jeopardy after arrest in WA (https://www.afl.com.au/news/538896/stack-s-afl-career-in-jeopardy-after-arrest-in-wa)

Sydney Stack has been arrested and refused bail for allegedly breaching WA's COVID laws

SYDNEY Stack's AFL career is in jeopardy after has was arrested and refused bail for allegedly breaching Western Australia's strict COVID-19 laws.

Stack was granted approval to enter WA on compassionate grounds on December 10 for his grandfather's funeral, with his flight from Victoria making a stop-over in South Australia.

WA's border with South Australia is still closed after a recent coronavirus scare.

After arriving in WA, Stack was issued with a direction to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days at a nominated address in Northam, about 97km east-northeast of Perth.

But he was allegedly found by police at 1.10am AWST on Saturday in the Perth party district of Northbridge.

It was also identified he had been staying at a residence in Belmont and not at his nominated quarantine address in Northam.

The 20-year-old, who has played 26 games for Richmond, was charged with failing to comply with a direction.

He was refused bail at his court appearance on Sunday, and is due to appear in the Perth Magistrates Court again on Monday, December 21.

The alleged breach caps off a torrid year for Stack, who was handed a 10-match AFL ban and banished from Queensland in September for an incident outside of a Gold Coast strip club.

Stack and Tigers teammate Callum Coleman-Jones broke the AFL's return-to-play protocols during that night out, which ended up with them being involved in a fight at about 3.30am. Richmond were fined $100,000 over the incident.

Stack issued an apology on Instagram after that incident.

"I'm very sorry, understand the seriousness of it and can do nothing now but own the consequences," Stack wrote.

"I've let down the AFL, the club I love, my teammates, coaches and staff, its members and the tiger army.

"I also have let down my family, my friends and all of those who have helped me along the way.

"To those who are supporting me at the moment, a huge thanks. I only hope going forward I can rebuild trust in me again."

Stack was overlooked in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft because of concerns about off-field issues, but he was invited to train with Richmond and eventually won a spot on its rookie list.

The gifted utility even lived with Richmond coach Damien Hardwick while training with the club.

Stack played 17 games in a breakout debut season last year before a late form slump and ankle injury saw him miss their premiership.

He played nine games this year before being dropped for poor form, with his season eventually ended by the 10-match ban.

Stack's latest indiscretion is a blow to his career, and Richmond will wait until his next court hearing before declaring whether they will impose any further punishment.

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 12:51 PM
A lot of footballers are slow learners but two Covid-19 issues in the space of a couple of months doesn't do him any favours

comrade
21-12-2020, 12:59 PM
Geez, they take the restrictions seriously in WA. Feel sorry for the bloke, hope his career isn't destroyed due to this.

Axe Man
21-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Geez, they take the restrictions seriously in WA. Feel sorry for the bloke, hope his career isn't destroyed due to this.

The restrictions do seem a bit extreme - apparently he never left the airport in Adelaide and that outbreak was quickly contained and is over.

However getting into a punch on in the middle of the street at 1am is never a great move, covid or otherwise.

1eyedog
21-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Becoming a serial offender. How many chances does this guy need? Won't be surprised if Richmond cut the lead.

comrade
21-12-2020, 02:19 PM
However getting into a punch on in the middle of the street at 1am is never a great move, covid or otherwise.

Oh, didn't read that part or do you mean his QLD hub transgression?

Axe Man
21-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Oh, didn't read that part or do you mean his QLD hub transgression?

There is video of him fighting in the street in Perth, which I assume is how he came to the attention of the police and was busted not quarantining. If you are going to flout the rules at least keep a low profile!

mjp
21-12-2020, 03:18 PM
A lot of footballers are slow learners but two Covid-19 issues in the space of a couple of months doesn't do him any favours

I'm obviously going to defend him - and he shouldn't have been in Northbridge, that part was dumb - but if you are planning to stay in Northam and then can't stay where you thought you could and kind of don't really have anywhere else to go, well, it is a slippery slope of trouble.

Syd brings some things upon himself but some things that you and I take for granted simply aren't options in his world.

The Adelaide Connection
21-12-2020, 03:39 PM
I'm obviously going to defend him - and he shouldn't have been in Northbridge, that part was dumb - but if you are planning to stay in Northam and then can't stay where you thought you could and kind of don't really have anywhere else to go, well, it is a slippery slope of trouble.

Syd brings some things upon himself but some things that you and I take for granted simply aren't options in his world.

There are undoubtedly some robust conversations that need to be had around some of the decision-making, but I feel for the kid. I remember reading a post you put on post-draft and it provided some extra context to his issue with his accommodation this time around.

There are players that have and likely are doing worse things that somehow have their indiscretions (or the full depth of them anyway) stage managed away from the headlines.

If Richmond were to part ways I would love us to sit down with him and give him a lifeline. Back in the club with Varcoe to mentor him.

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 04:42 PM

He got a special exemption with conditions and just ignored them. I don't want to see him lost to the game but at what point does he just follow the rules that are set? I can't imagine the club is happy with him fighting while over in Perth

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 04:46 PM

Then he runs the risk of choosing those options over football and ultimately that is his choice.

bornadog
21-12-2020, 05:44 PM
Then he runs the risk of choosing those options over football and ultimately that is his choice.

I think he needs guidance and help. He is 20 years old and clearly has had issues growing up. He has talent, and hopefully Richmond won't just sack him, but look after him. He has a great opportunity at Richmond and hopefully, as you say, is not lost to the game.

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 06:37 PM
I think he needs guidance and help. He is 20 years old and clearly has had issues growing up. He has talent, and hopefully Richmond won't just sack him, but look after him. He has a great opportunity at Richmond and hopefully, as you say, is not lost to the game.

He's ignored some very clear rules twice now so what support and guidance do you think he needs from Richmond and more importantly what he would be prepared to listen to?
At the moment he's clearly stubbornly resisting the notion that rules apply to him and I can see why that might not be an acceptable option for clubs and governments.
If he doesn't want to comply with some basic rules we have all had to follow, perhaps being a professional footballer isn't for him at the moment. He can always come back to it later

The Bulldogs Bite
21-12-2020, 07:23 PM
He's ignored some very clear rules twice now so what support and guidance do you think he needs from Richmond and more importantly what he would be prepared to listen to?
At the moment he's clearly stubbornly resisting the notion that rules apply to him and I can see why that might not be an acceptable option for clubs and governments.
If he doesn't want to comply with some basic rules we have all had to follow, perhaps being a professional footballer isn't for him at the moment. He can always come back to it later

Yep, much as I feel for him, the excuses must be close to running out.

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Did I just hear on SEN that he is going into jail until the 6th of January?

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 08:23 PM
On News.com.au. This shows how serious the government in WA is treating it and he does need his club's support more than ever now

AFL AFL player Sydney Stack will spend Christmas behind bars after allegedly breaching COVID-19 self-quarantine orders, which was discovered when police intervened in a Perth street fight.

Stack, 20, had been granted approval to enter WA on compassionate grounds via the G2G Pass system and arrived at Perth Airport from South Australia on December 10.

The Richmond forward was told he must self-quarantine for two weeks at an address in Northam, a town northeast of Perth, but police alleged he later left that property and returned to Perth, staying at a home in Belmont.

Police further alleged he visited the entertainment precinct in Northbridge, where he was found just after 1am on Saturday reportedly fighting in a street.

He was issued with a move on notice and officers realised Stack should be in self-quarantine.

Stack was charged with failing to comply with a direction and his matter was called in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday in his absence because he is in isolation at Hakea Prison.

He was remanded in custody to face court again on January 6.

It means he will spend Christmas and the start of 2021 behind bars.

Outside court, Stack’s manager Paul Peos said it had been very difficult to communicate with his client.

“I’ve been very disappointed but we will continue to try and engage with him as best as we can,” he said.

Mr Peos said during a brief conversation he had with Stack after his arrest he “did not seem OK” and he sounded “very distressed”.

“He’s having a very difficult time,” Mr Peos said.

Footage of the small brawl was shown on Channel 7 on Sunday night after Stack’s first court appearance for the alleged quarantine breach.

Stack, who was drafted to Richmond in 2018, told the court on Sunday that his AFL career was “on the line”.

He was refused bail during that court appearance.

In September, Stack was slapped with a 10-match ban after he and Tigers teammate Callum Coleman-Jones were involved in a scuffle near a Gold Coast strip club while participating in an AFL hub.

Stack later apologised on Instagram, but he missed Richmond’s grand final victory over Geelong due to his suspension.

“I’m very sorry, understand the seriousness of it and can do nothing now but own the consequences,” he wrote.

“I’ve let down the AFL, the club I love, my teammates, coaches and staff, its members and the Tiger army.

“I also have let down my family, my friends and all of those who have helped me along the way.

“To those who are supporting me at the moment, a huge thanks. I only hope going forward I can rebuild trust in me again.”

Happy Days
21-12-2020, 08:36 PM
That seems...unnecessarily heavy handed.

The Adelaide Connection
21-12-2020, 08:45 PM

You can be damn sure if it was Fyfe ignoring the rules to go surfing again, or Buckley to have a hit of tennis (or more?) again, no expense would have been spared and the lawyers would have them out within hours.

This may be way off the mark, but the prospect of him sitting in jail to the 6th feels to me like he has been abandoned to some degree.

Grantysghost
21-12-2020, 08:52 PM
That's a complete abuse of power you can't put him in jail for that surely. Hopefully wiser heads prevail.

bornadog
21-12-2020, 09:24 PM
He's ignored some very clear rules twice now so what support and guidance do you think he needs from Richmond

He clearly needs help in his life - counselling.

Did I just hear on SEN that he is going into jail until the 6th of January?

If he wasn't Indigenous then he wouldn't be in jail.

GVGjr
21-12-2020, 09:35 PM
He clearly needs help in his life - counselling.

And you don't think he has received education and counseling from the club before and after the Gold Coast Covid-19 issue?

If he wasn't Indigenous then he wouldn't be in jail.

So what would you think is a more appropriate response?
Another fine and warning or something else?

1eyedog
21-12-2020, 10:53 PM
He's brought this on himself. I have very little pity for him. Plenty of of people have skipped quarantine and ended up in jail in W.A. Why should he be any different?

The Adelaide Connection
21-12-2020, 11:18 PM
He's brought this on himself. I have very little pity for him. Plenty of of people have skipped quarantine and ended up in jail in W.A. Why should he be any different?

Have they though? The only information I can find was that 106 were charged to the end of August, with only around half being convicted. Of the 50 odd, at least 40 received fines only.

Even this bloke didn’t get jailed:

“The latest alleged quarantine breach is Perth man Paul Lawrence who arrived in WA from Brisbane on Friday night without an exemption to enter the state.

The 53-year-old was discovered at Hotel Northbridge surrounded by pub-goers later that night after telling authorities at Perth Airport he had chest pains and being transferred to Royal Perth Hospital for treatment.

He allegedly walked out of the hospital and into the nightlife district while waiting to be transferred to hotel quarantine.

The pub Mr Lawrence visited was forced to close and undergo a deep clean while waiting for the results of his COVID-19 test.

He tested negative and it has since reopened.

Police Minister Michelle Roberts indicated Mr Lawrence would become the first person in WA hotel quarantine to be fitted with a GPS ankle tracker.”

Topdog
22-12-2020, 07:49 AM
This one is even worse.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-15/wa-asher-vander-sanden-wins-appeal-over-covid-19-breach/12654822

Basically going to receive the same amount of time in custody.

Whole thing is bizarre, why'd he chose a flight going through SA?

GVGjr
22-12-2020, 09:42 AM

It does but I wonder if they just don't think asking him to quarantine for 14 days is something he will do. Would one of those ankle monitor systems be a better outcome?

Happy Days
22-12-2020, 11:18 AM
It does but I wonder if they just don't think asking him to quarantine for 14 days is something he will do. Would one of those ankle monitor systems be a better outcome?

I really don’t want to get into it on a football site, so I’ll just say the unnecessary incarceration of an indigenous person, even on this relatively small scale, can’t possibly meet whatever justice aim they’re shooting for and leave it at that.

Rocket Science
22-12-2020, 12:19 PM
I really don’t want to get into it on a football site, so I’ll just say the unnecessary incarceration of an indigenous person, even on this relatively small scale, can’t possibly meet whatever justice aim they’re shooting for and leave it at that.

Yeah, I've been biting my tongue in the name of harmony knowing this isn't quite the place for it but we have a thread devoted to Stack's story so, even aside from the ham-fisted notion of policing your way through a public health problem this is some first-class, carceral colonialist bullshit which in the national context, Western Australia's exceptionally good at.

comrade
22-12-2020, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I've been biting my tongue in the name of harmony knowing this isn't quite the place for it but we have a thread devoted to Stack's story so, even aside from the ham-fisted notion of policing your way through a public health problem this is some first-class, carceral colonialist bullshit which in the national context, Western Australia's exceptionally good at.

Yeah, I'm all for personal responsbility but this heavy handed approach is complete BS.

Twodogs
22-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Yeah, I'm all for personal responsbility but this heavy handed approach is complete BS.

Completely and totally 100% agree. A hamfisted overreaction that appears to be blind and deaf to circumstances.

bulldogtragic
22-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Slow to reading this, not following wider media. This is just insane on every level. I hope he and Richmond (with their legal access) are launching appeal after appeal. Using sledgehammers to crack nuts just results in everything being destroyed.

josie
23-12-2020, 12:42 AM
Reading these recent posts got me thinking beyond the passing thought I initially had reading about the news story (that this is a sad outcome).

I think that covid breaches are serious and repercussions need to be serious otherwise others could be tempted to flout rules protecting public health.

On the other hand these posts really have me mulling over what if’s ..... if it was another AFL player eg a higher profile indigenous player from WA or a non indigenous player from WA would result be the same?

Good to hear Tigers are helping him, presumably legally and with psychological support too. Hope young Stack’s story is ends up being a happy one.

GVGjr
23-12-2020, 10:03 AM
Reading these recent posts got me thinking beyond the passing thought I initially had reading about the news story (that this is a sad outcome).

I think that covid breaches are serious and repercussions need to be serious otherwise others could be tempted to flout rules protecting public health.

On the other hand these posts really have me mulling over what if’s ..... if it was another AFL player eg a higher profile indigenous player from WA or a non indigenous player from WA would result be the same?

Good to hear Tigers are helping him, presumably legally and with psychological support too. Hope young Stack’s story is ends up being a happy one.

I hope that isn't lost on Stack, clubs are great at supporting players through difficult patches

Axe Man
23-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Sydney Stack unfairly singled out to spend time in jail after COVID breach, says Jason Mifsud (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/eagles-great-peter-sumich-backs-richmonds-sydney-stack-to-bounce-back-from-latest-indiscretion/news-story/aff29e9e0ae30ce8e68cb1d827461908)

Ex-AFL multicultural boss is disturbed by the news Sydney Stack is in custody and questioned if other COVID lawbreakers were treated the same way.

The AFL’s former multicultural boss has questioned a decision to keep Richmond’s Sydney Stack behind bars until after Christmas for a COVID breach.

In responding to a media report that the young Tiger would spend more than two weeks in a cell, Jason Mifsud turned to Twitter to air his thoughts.

“If I’m reading this correctly, and Stack is in custody for breaching COVID-19 restrictions, how many other Australians have also been detained in custody for the same issue?” Mifsud wrote.

“This would be the first I’ve heard that someone has been detained in custody for breaking the restrictions and, now for some weeks as the system absurdly and ridiculously says Stack cannot be spoken with.”

Stack caused a furore in September when he copped a 10-week ban after he left the Gold Coast AFL hub to go to a strip club in Surfers Paradise.

He and teammate Callum Coleman-Jones were later involved in a scuffle outside a kebab shop, with Stack briefly detained by police before being sent home from Queensland.

At the time Stack apologised for his costly COVID breach, saying he had let down plenty and could “do nothing now but own the consequences”.

Stack was expected to join the Tigers return to pre-season training on January 6 but will instead face court in Perth on that date instead.

He was remanded in custody on Monday after allegedly breaching COVID-19 self-quarantine orders, which was discovered when police intervened in a Perth street fight.

Stack had been given permission to return to Western Australia to attend his grandfather’s funeral.

He spent several days at his nominated address in Northam after the funeral, but moved to Belmont after a family argument.

AFL clubs and broadcasting boss Travis Auld on Monday called on players to follow the rules.

“I’m not sure if we have an official position just yet other than to say it’s important during this time, whether it’s a player, a staff member, a club member or member of our commission, there’s a set of rules you need to abide by,” Auld said.

“They apply to everyone and if you don’t abide by those rules there’ll be consequences, and I think that’s what is occurring at the moment.”

Don’t sack Stack, Tigers

West Coast Eagles great Peter Sumich has urged Richmond to stick fat with troubled Tiger Sydney Stack.

Sumich, who coached Stack for two seasons in the West Australian under-18 team, said the Richmond hard nut was “a kid who’s done it tough” and deserved another chance.

“I really rate the kid as a person,” Sumich said.

“He’s not a kid that lies and cheats. He makes mistakes because he’s still learning.”

Stack, 20, was arrested in Perth on the weekend for an alleged second COVID breach after being involved in a Northbridge punch-up.

Stack will spend Christmas behind bars after allegedly breaching COVID-19 self-quarantine orders, which was discovered when police intervened in a Perth street fight.

“Personally, I think Richmond has done an outstanding job so far,” Sumich said.

“Sydney has mucked up a couple of times, but along the line there are a lot of players in the history of the game that have mucked up who have got second and third chances and have done it well.

“This kid is just needing more guidance.

“He’s still a young kid at heart and he was always going to make some mistakes – I’ve said that all along – but eventually clicking and learning and maturing.”

Sumich believed Stack could still emerge as a genuine star of the game.

“He was with me for two years and he didn’t shy away from saying ‘I’ve made a blue’,” he said.

“He never lied and that to me is a really good trait.

“And I think that is where Richmond is at.

“They are working through issues with him and I’ve got no doubt he doesn’t lie to Richmond. “He’s upfront but he’s making a few blues at the moment.

“I’d love Richmond to do that (to stand by him).

If they can hold sway and just persist – the kid can play. We’ve all seen that.

“If he got AFL fit, I rate him very highly. He could be a very good player. He’s one of the toughest kids I’ve seen for a long time and he’s got skills on top of that.”

AFL clubs and broadcasting boss Travis Auld called on players to follow the rules.

“I’m not sure if we have an official position just yet other than to say it’s important during this time, whether it’s a player, a staff member, a club member or member of our commission, there’s a set of rules you need to abide by,” Auld said.

“They apply to everyone and if you don’t abide by those rules there’ll be consequences, and I think that’s what is occurring at the moment.”

GVGjr
23-12-2020, 10:40 AM
I've got a lot of respect of the views of Sumich and I would hope Richmond do stick with Stack through this challenge like they did last time.

Rocket Science
23-12-2020, 11:54 AM
I've got a lot of respect of the views of Sumich and I would hope Richmond do stick with Stack through this challenge like they did last time.

Auld on the other hand ...

AFL clubs and broadcasting boss Travis Auld on Monday called on players to follow the rules.

A young Indigenous player in painfully clear need of support spends the holiday period in a jail cell and the league's helpful, tone-deaf public contribution is basically "take your medicine, son".

Could someone kindly link me to articles where Auld mouths off about similarly about Nathan Buckley, or Jesse Hogan, or Brooke Cotchin, or Steele Sidebottom, or ...

Twodogs
23-12-2020, 12:07 PM
Auld on the other hand ...

A young Indigenous player in painfully clear need of support spends the holiday period in a jail cell and the league's helpful, tone-deaf public contribution is basically "take your medicine, son".

Could someone kindly link me to articles where Auld mouths off about similarly about Nathan Buckley, or Jesse Hogan, or Brooke Cotchin, or Steele Sidebottom, or ...

I'm sure that if you asked him, Travis would be happy to explain to you how he is perfect.

Rocket Science
23-12-2020, 02:51 PM
I'm sure that if you asked him, Travis would be happy to explain to you how he is perfect.

He certainly mounts a strong case for extending the concept of players with 'punchable heads' to administrators.

https://i.ibb.co/rfH1Nzx/Screen-Shot-2020-12-23-at-1-46-55-pm.png (https://ibb.co/BKBSFQy)

jeemak
23-12-2020, 03:11 PM
Did he play league footy?

bornadog
23-12-2020, 05:36 PM

Don't believe so

Twodogs
23-12-2020, 06:44 PM

No. Not according to my Encyclopaedia of League Footballers. No mention of him on AFLtables either.

I think his brother is involved in the footy department at Essendon though.

bulldogtragic
23-12-2020, 06:51 PM
No. Not according to my Encyclopaedia of League Footballers. No mention of him on AFLtables either.

I think his brother is involved in the footy department at Essendon though.

Is that a new euphemism for being NQR?

Like 'he's a couple of stubbies short of a six pack' or 'a couple of snags short of a bbq'? Or, 'He's a nice enough kind of bloke, but he's involved in the footy department at Essendon'.

Twodogs
23-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Is that a new euphemism for being NQR?

Like 'he's a couple of stubbies short of a six pack' or 'a couple of snags short of a bbq'? Or, 'He's a nice enough kind of bloke, but he's involved in the footy department at Essendon'.

You'd have to ask an Essendon supporter.

EasternWest
23-12-2020, 07:08 PM

Can't agree with this more.

He's a multiple time goose, but come on, jail?

Rocket Science
24-12-2020, 02:19 PM

If the way he's posing with that pill is any indication I'd proffer a resounding yeah nah.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Australia is a big land with diverse communities that most of us do not experience. The cultures in aboriginal communities are far removed from bigcity Melbourne, which is PC, overregulated, self obsessed even by comparison with other world cities. I shat myself trying to fit in in Marrakech for a holiday, imagine trying to live and play elite sport there!
Melbourne is like Elizabethan England or a modern day Taliban state: rigid rules, both written and unwritten with the condemnation of the community if yo do not follow.
For someone such as Syd or Zeph Skinner to acclimatise is a journey none of us will take. From the most remote to the most regulated!
The pressure of acclimatising, the foreignness, no bush turkey, no longer people that understand you leads to rebellion, wanting to break out.
Serious funding must go to addressing the cultural differences between Melbourne and remote communities. People like Chris Lewis need to be employed. A Victorian local who is senior in his native culture and a champion in Melbourne culture.
Surely our academic institutions prepare people for such mentoring roles.
Doggies lets take the lead in this.

mjp
03-01-2021, 02:49 PM
I don't think you should compare Skinner to Stack because their backgrounds are worlds apart - but overall a point well made.

The Underdog
03-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Australia is a big land with diverse communities that most of us do not experience. The cultures in aboriginal communities are far removed from bigcity Melbourne, which is PC, overregulated, self obsessed even by comparison with other world cities. I shat myself trying to fit in in Marrakech for a holiday, imagine trying to live and play elite sport there!
Melbourne is like Elizabethan England or a modern day Taliban state: rigid rules, both written and unwritten with the condemnation of the community if yo do not follow.
For someone such as Syd or Zeph Skinner to acclimatise is a journey none of us will take. From the most remote to the most regulated!
The pressure of acclimatising, the foreignness, no bush turkey, no longer people that understand you leads to rebellion, wanting to break out.
Serious funding must go to addressing the cultural differences between Melbourne and remote communities. People like Chris Lewis need to be employed. A Victorian local who is senior in his native culture and a champion in Melbourne culture.
Surely our academic institutions prepare people for such mentoring roles.
Doggies lets take the lead in this.

Taliban state? FFS.

jeemak
03-01-2021, 04:38 PM
Taliban state? FFS.

BIDS54 did say modern.............yeah nah.

Though I do agree we're completely up our own backsides. If I hear one more *!*!*!*!ing thing about how we love coffee I'll vomit.

The Underdog
04-01-2021, 10:48 AM
BIDS54 did say modern.............yeah nah.

Though I do agree we're completely up our own backsides. If I hear one more *!*!*!*!ing thing about how we love coffee I'll vomit.

Being Melbourne, it’d be a post modern Taliban state if anything.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-01-2021, 03:00 PM
Taliban state? FFS.

You better believe it.
Do not underestimate the strictures that our culture put on individuals that we take for granted having grown up with them. To understand this, go to a foreign place with very different social norms like anywhere Islamic or non westernised or indeed try living in a remote community and find out how ignorant you are. Vica versa.
Culture is easy when you know the rules and are born into it but is actually very strict.

The Adelaide Connection
07-01-2021, 11:09 AM
What the hell is going on?

Richmond Tigers star Sydney Stack remains stuck behind bars over alleged COVID-19 breach

Richmond player Sydney Stack could spend another two weeks behind bars as he awaits a hearing over allegations he breached Western Australia COVID-19 quarantine restrictions.

Following a short court appearance today, Stack’s hearing was adjourned to January 20 – a full month after he was first denied bail and found himself in Hakea Prison.

But Stack is now set for a new bail application hearing on Friday.

According to The Herald Sun, Stack’s brief video appearance before Perth Magistrate’s Court today included 20-year-old saying just one word – “yes” – in response to the Magistrate’s question as to whether he understood what was happening in the court.

Stack was allegedly involved in a late-night brawl in December, having received an exemption from the WA government to travel from Victoria via South Australia in order to attend his grandfather’s funeral.

His alleged involvement in the fracas led to police becoming aware of Stack’s alleged shift from a Northam address – which he had nominated as his site in which to quarantine for 14 days – to Belmont, around an hour away.

If the allegations are found to be true, that would constitute a breach of Western Australia’s strict quarantine protocols.

Stack previously received a 10-game ban after a September incident where he left the Tiger’s Queensland hub to visit a strip club in Surfers Paradise before becoming embroiled in an altercation outside a kebab store.

As he awaits bail – or his next hearing – Stack has missed the start of Richmond’s pre-season training.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-richmond-tigers-star-sydney-stack-covid19-breach-court-hearing-bail-jailed-news/news-story/69251ed3ba7288129a5296c646f52f2e?fbclid=IwAR3k3GYpdg3U7r-YcDjWeeUyuA0loGdoH-9C6gFCPTRMnXWQQtKuJrPGAZc

bornadog
07-01-2021, 11:12 AM
What the hell is going on?

Richmond Tigers star Sydney Stack remains stuck behind bars over alleged COVID-19 breach

Richmond player Sydney Stack could spend another two weeks behind bars as he awaits a hearing over allegations he breached Western Australia COVID-19 quarantine restrictions.

Following a short court appearance today, Stack’s hearing was adjourned to January 20 – a full month after he was first denied bail and found himself in Hakea Prison.

But Stack is now set for a new bail application hearing on Friday.

According to The Herald Sun, Stack’s brief video appearance before Perth Magistrate’s Court today included 20-year-old saying just one word – “yes” – in response to the Magistrate’s question as to whether he understood what was happening in the court.

Stack was allegedly involved in a late-night brawl in December, having received an exemption from the WA government to travel from Victoria via South Australia in order to attend his grandfather’s funeral.

His alleged involvement in the fracas led to police becoming aware of Stack’s alleged shift from a Northam address – which he had nominated as his site in which to quarantine for 14 days – to Belmont, around an hour away.

If the allegations are found to be true, that would constitute a breach of Western Australia’s strict quarantine protocols.

Stack previously received a 10-game ban after a September incident where he left the Tiger’s Queensland hub to visit a strip club in Surfers Paradise before becoming embroiled in an altercation outside a kebab store.

As he awaits bail – or his next hearing – Stack has missed the start of Richmond’s pre-season training.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2021-richmond-tigers-star-sydney-stack-covid19-breach-court-hearing-bail-jailed-news/news-story/69251ed3ba7288129a5296c646f52f2e?fbclid=IwAR3k3GYpdg3U7r-YcDjWeeUyuA0loGdoH-9C6gFCPTRMnXWQQtKuJrPGAZc

A disgrace, the guy is not a criminal.

Axe Man
07-01-2021, 11:18 AM
Hopefully could be out tomorrow.

Tiger Sydney Stack could be out of jail as soon as Friday despite his latest court appearance being adjourned until January 20.

Stack, who has already spent Christmas and New Years inside Hakea Prison, made a brief appearance in Perth Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, accused of breaching WA’s COVID-19 quarantine requirements.

Defence lawyer Siobhan Nims made no submissions to the court other than to request her client’s matter be adjourned to January 20.

However, Stack has a bail application hearing on Friday morning to appeal the December decision to deny him bail.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/sydney-stack-back-in-court-over-alleged-covid19-selfquarantine-breaches/news-story/14362270e102e6872db30c6a21b1a7c7)

The Adelaide Connection
07-01-2021, 12:09 PM
Hopefully could be out tomorrow.

I just can’t believe he actually sat in there for two weeks. Can you imagine this happening to a player with a higher profile?

GVGjr
07-01-2021, 12:20 PM
I just can’t believe he actually sat in there for two weeks. Can you imagine this happening to a player with a higher profile?

It's certainly out of sync with what I think would have been a reasonable outcome.

Rocket Science
07-01-2021, 12:27 PM
I just can’t believe he actually sat in there for two weeks. Can you imagine this happening to a player with a lighter complexion?

Fixed.

It's confounding neither club nor league have been more vocal or active in their advocacy while a young, black player sits in a cell for something industry peers have had handled with fines and if they're truly unlucky, suspensions.

It's shameful.

The Adelaide Connection
07-01-2021, 01:29 PM
Fixed.

It's confounding neither club nor league have been more vocal or active in their advocacy while a young, black player sits in a cell for something industry peers have had handled with fines and if they're truly unlucky, suspensions.

It's shameful.

I have this vision of the AFL and Richmond putting it in the “too hard/better things to do” basket over their Christmas breaks. I just can’t understand how else he wasn’t out in a day (or that he even went in at all).

mjp
07-01-2021, 01:33 PM
I have this vision of the AFL and Richmond putting it in the “too hard/better things to do” basket over their Christmas breaks. I just can’t understand how else he wasn’t out in a day (or that he even went in at all).

OK.
Can I just say the situation is a bit more complicated than that and both Richmond and the PA have been left without much of a leg to stand on? I can't/don't want to go into depth on why this is the case but I am confident that both parties already mentioned and Syd's own manager would have been shouting from the rooftops if they could...

BornInDroopSt'54
08-01-2021, 03:23 PM
So the AFL put the mute on its subsidiaries?
Disgrace if so.

bornadog
08-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Richmond's Stack granted bail, to be released from prison (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-s-stack-granted-bail-to-be-released-from-prison-20210108-p56sph.html)