PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors, 2019, Rnd 7 vs Richmond

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-05-2019, 06:28 PM
This is the round 7, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
04-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
04-05-2019, 10:44 PM
B

Naughton - club record 9 contested marks, 14 marks, 5 goals. Did ok I suppose.
Bonts - Vintage Bonts.
Handball club - Thought it was 2016.
Team Defence - Trengove on Lynch (goalless), Daniel rebounding, Crozier great etc.

A

Gowers. Dumbest footballer we have.
That first quarter goal kicking.
Hayes probably makes way for a more talented replacement.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-05-2019, 10:56 PM
B

Naughton - club record 9 contested marks, 14 marks, 5 goals. Did ok I suppose.
Bonts - Vintage Bonts.
Handball club - Thought it was 2016.
Team Defence - Trengove on Lynch (goalless), Daniel rebounding, Crozier great etc.

A

Gowers. Dumbest footballer we have.
That first quarter goal kicking.
Hayes probably makes way for a more talented replacement.

Gowers infuriates me... BUT I still think he adds things to the side that keeps him getting selected.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-05-2019, 11:03 PM
Gowers is a decoy

Bulldog4life
04-05-2019, 11:32 PM
Gowers infuriates me... BUT I still think he adds things to the side that keeps him getting selected.

Yep. He has kicked 10 goals this year. Looking at a 30 plus haul for the year.

hujsh
04-05-2019, 11:36 PM
Gowers did some very poor things. That effort on the wing/flank at the end was the epitome of that. However he did kick 2 goals, set up another and I noticed him on the replays of some of the other forwards marks do enough to keep other defenders from getting in the way.

Hayes I don't quite know what I'm meant to see and Young it feels like there's maybe something to work with but I don't think he's there at AFL level yet.

Aside from that though all of the defence was great, all the midfield was great and most of the forwards were great (Dickson was barely sighted)

MrMahatma
05-05-2019, 12:12 AM
Don’t understand the You g hate after tonight. He played well IMO. Is clearly someone who takes risks and wants to make the play.

I enjoyed watching him tonight.

Mofra
05-05-2019, 12:16 AM
Bankers:

Naughton. After 30 years of trying to find a KPF, we draft a backman and throw him forward after two pre-seasons as a defender. He proceeds to tie for the second greatest number ever of contested marks in a game.

Bont. Simply quality.

Daniel. Our entire back half gameplan of "give it to Caleb" worked a treat.

Anchors:
Very hard this week.
Lachie Young is fantastic in the air, really does need more experience to gain poise as he costs us a goal every week with turnovers. I think he makes it but it's not ideal he's playing so early.

Lachie Hunter's kicking penetration. So many of his kicks seemed to fall short this week.

Sam Lloyd - I really like your game but every week you have an attack of the fumbles at some stage.

bornadog
05-05-2019, 01:49 AM
Bankers

1. The marking by Naughton
2. Caleb Daniel just a ball magnet in the backline, last 4 games 30 plus disposals, plus one earlier in the season.
3. Bont's set shots at last he nailed them.

Anchors

1. The Richmond player who pinged Gowers on the ground and wouldn't let him go and the stupid umpire standing there watching and not doing a thing. It was disgraceful.
2. The deliberate OOB on Wood - ruins the game.
3. Turnovers continued, we need to be more skillful

Sedat
05-05-2019, 02:03 AM
Banker #1 for me was the uncompromising effort by Lachie Young to leave his man and attack a 20/80 contest and clean up Rioli in the process. It was a real statement of intent early in the match and set the tone.

Banker #2 - Cordy's chase down on Balta to deny a certain goal before half time.

Then to finish up with Banker #3, Trengove buried Lynch into the turf in the last 5 minutes to deny him even a pissy junktime goal. I loved that unflinching attitude to put the foot on their throat and keep it there even when the game was done.

hujsh
05-05-2019, 03:50 AM
Bankers

1. The marking by Naughton
2. Caleb Daniel just a ball magnet in the backline, last 4 games 30 plus disposals, plus one earlier in the season.
3. Bont's set shots at last he nailed them.

Anchors

1. The Richmond player who pinged Gowers on the ground and wouldn't let him go and the stupid umpire standing there watching and not doing a thing. It was disgraceful.
2. The deliberate OOB on Wood - ruins the game.
3. Turnovers continued, we need to be more skillful

Nah Gowers was holding his arm. Playing silly buggers was Billy (I assume you're talking about the same incident as the reverse headbutt)

S Coast Simon
05-05-2019, 08:24 AM
I see it as well. I think Young is a goer. Pretty sure he has earned his position in the practice matches. He is not a charity case he has genuinely earned his spot and is attacking it like it’s his last chance. I love the kid. He has a massive upside. Playing like he does in his third game in his first season off the rookie list. What’s not to love. Hope he keeps this trajectory upwards.

merantau
05-05-2019, 08:37 AM
1. Dunkley's best game for a while, ditto McLean, Wood.
2. Trengove was uncompromising
3. Naughton was super impressive.

1. The Wood deliberate
2. The high contact free to Houli
3. Sam Lloyd's round the corne miss.

Remi Moses
05-05-2019, 09:05 AM
B- Naughton , just incredible
- Trengove , monstered the million dollar man
- 13. 4 after half time
A- Just one , Gowers has to stop trying to outbody and wrestle ! Just attack the footy
Thought he kept Grimes out of going third up a few times

westbulldog
05-05-2019, 11:38 AM
B
The young blokes, Naughton, English and Smith.
Trengove, took Lynch to the cleaners and back in every quarter.
Macrae, not as flashy as some but highly skilled and gets it done every single week.

A
Billy's fake second effort, not good enough.
The Houli free, Daniel barely touched his beard, absurd umpiring.
Dickson seems to be struggling atm.

Eastdog
05-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Bankers:

Naughton - best game he has played.

Crozier - what a great pick up - been great in our half back line

Bont - as influential as ever

Anchors:

First quarter goalkicking

Bulldog4life
05-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Bankers

1. That mark by Wood running backwards was super courageous.
2. Really looking forward to seeing Naughty, Smith, English and Richards become permanent stars.
3. The importance of a big full back who can handle the monster forwards Well done Jackson.

Anchors

None last night.

ratsmac
06-05-2019, 01:33 AM
Bankers

1. That mark by Wood running backwards was super courageous.
2. Really looking forward to seeing Naughty, Smith, English and Richards become permanent stars.
3. The importance of a big full back who can handle the monster forwards Well done Jackson.

Anchors

None last night.
Should have been playing all year. He could've been the difference in a few games especially against Collingwood.

ratsmac
06-05-2019, 01:47 AM
Bankers

1. Naughton obviously.
2. Our midfield group thrashed Richmond's.
3. The niggle. I loved that we were in their faces all night not taking any shite and letting them know that we were beating them.

Anchors

1. Easy set shot misses. It shouldn't be happening still. We were much better after quarter time though.
2. Small crowd. Richmond supposedly have 100k members yet we only had 35k there. The Bulldogs members area on level 1 was very boney.
3. Dickson's form. He is trying hard, you can see that but he just can't get on the end of a few. We need him to find form soon or someone will take his spot.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 09:48 AM
2. Small crowd. Richmond supposedly have 100k members yet we only had 35k there. The Bulldogs members area on level 1 was very boney.

Good Point. We have 40k, and with their 100k, pretty poor effort.

whythelongface
06-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Banker #1 for me was the uncompromising effort by Lachie Young to leave his man and attack a 20/80 contest and clean up Rioli in the process. It was a real statement of intent early in the match and set the tone.

Banker #2 - Cordy's chase down on Balta to deny a certain goal before half time.

Then to finish up with Banker #3, Trengove buried Lynch into the turf in the last 5 minutes to deny him even a pissy junktime goal. I loved that unflinching attitude to put the foot on their throat and keep it there even when the game was done.

I really like your Bankers Sedat. Sometimes these plays can be looked over as they are not the 'glamorous' plays. However, these one-percenters, are the types of plays that really lift the spirit of the team.

Ozza
06-05-2019, 11:42 AM
I think others have covered the bankers on the players who starred...so I'll go with some from the next tier...
Bankers

English - loved seeing him roam around and take marks around the ground. He really is developing beautifully.
B.Smith - the kid is a jet. Absolutely love this high draft pick.
JJ - thought he responded well from a down game the previous week and chose all the right options...and also kicked a 55m set shot goal.
Bevo/Coaches - credit where due this week. Great to see players settled in positions this week. We didn't try to be too smart - had a genuine tall in Trengove play on the 200cm Lynch, kept the forwards forward, and the mids we had a good 'set' inside the centre square at every bounce (ie. at least two of Bont/Macrae/Libba/Wal)

Anchors:

Daniel was great, but two real doozies that cost us goals.
A little thing....but why do we always seem to have C Daniel or other smalls on the mark for set shots? Its a 1 per center - maybe even a half-percenter - but pretty easy to get a tall player on the mark when a player is shooting for goal

comrade
06-05-2019, 12:37 PM
On seeing the replay, I think CD was completely blindsided by the umpire when he turned it over in the first quarter. He made up for it though.

Mofra
06-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Daniel was great, but two real doozies that cost us goals.
A little thing....but why do we always seem to have C Daniel or other smalls on the mark for set shots? Its a 1 per center - maybe even a half-percenter - but pretty easy to get a tall player on the mark when a player is shooting for goal
A couple of us mentioned that during the game, especially when twice Dunkley was only 10m away and he's almost 10 inches taller.

NoseBleed
06-05-2019, 05:44 PM
It's been driving me nuts for weeks. I'd love to see the stat, but I've never seen them miss when he's on the mark.

Dancin' Douggy
06-05-2019, 06:04 PM
A couple of us mentioned that during the game, especially when twice Dunkley was only 10m away and he's almost 10 inches taller.

This is a pet hate of mine and it's simple geometry. The taller the target, the further you have to kick it to get over the target. The further back you have to be. It could seriously decide the outcome of a game. You watch Collingwood and the amount of times Mason Cox runs in to be the man on the mark is no coincidence. This should just be automatic.

Dancin' Douggy
06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Bankers.
1. Having a tall defender....wow.....it actually works. Trengove needs to play every week.

2. Watching Naughton dominate at one end while 'pretty boy Lynch' down the other end did NOTHING. 5 lousy disposals.
It sticks in my craw how Richmond can scoop up an A grader free agent without having to give anything up.
But all the other lower teams have to slide down a draft pick for Richmonds sake. Makes me sick, so it was very satisfying watching the contrast between the two players.
Banker 2, section B. Naughton's wink.

3.While I'm on the subject of sliding down the draft............Banker 3 is the rise and rise of Bailey Smith. Fast, Confident, smart, skilled, looks like he'll become a bit of a beast too. We could have an AAA grader on our hands.

Anchors.
1. Luke Darcy. He makes me want to tear my hair out. every time Daniel goes near the ball it's 'little man' this 'wee man' that tiny man....etc etc etc.
Every time we play. He does it every game as if it's this incredible new gag he's been working on.
It's been years now and he still thinks it's somehow 'funny' or 'witty'. ENOUGH!!!! Just call him Caleb Daniel you moron.

2. Goalkicking. Was still an issue in the first quarter at least. Naughton could have kicked 8, we could have really humiliated them by more and percentage is gonna mean a LOT this year. Better than previous weeks but could still be improved.

3. I had to work and missed the game. (violins please)

bornadog
06-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Anchors.
1. Luke Darcy. He makes me want to tear my hair out. every time Daniel goes near the ball it's 'little man' this 'wee man' that tiny man....etc etc etc.

Yes I agree.

I almost had a go at a Hawthorn supporter when we played them. He called Caleb a Dwarf amongst other things. I said to myself, one more word and it is on.

Bulldog4life
07-05-2019, 11:58 PM
Yes I agree.

I almost had a go at a Hawthorn supporter when we played them. He called Caleb a Dwarf amongst other things. I said to myself, one more word and it is on.

Be interesting to know what AFL would do if that guy was reported for this. Love seeing them run around in circles.