PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Stadium match day experience

HOSE B ROMERO
05-05-2019, 06:50 PM
I was going to post this after round 1 but then thought i would give it time.
Has anyone noticed that the p.a. volume is the loudest it's ever been? It seriously seems like it's 20% louder than ever before.
I sit on the ground level and trying to have a conversation with mates has become almost pointless.
I remember about 10 years ago there was a lot of negative reaction to the MCG pa volume and they pulled it back a bit.

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 06:51 PM
I was going to post this after round 1 but then thought i would give it time.
Has anyone noticed that the p.a. volume is the loudest it's ever been? It seriously seems like it's 20% louder than ever before.
I sit on the ground level and trying to have a conversation with mates has become almost pointless.
I remember about 10 years ago there was a lot of negative reaction to the MCG pa volume and they pulled it back a bit.

I noticed it last night, really was over the top. I tend to be listening to the radio though so I can drown it out a bit

bornadog
05-05-2019, 06:52 PM
I hate all the music they play pre game, very hard to have a conversation

josie
05-05-2019, 06:55 PM
Hose-I agree. Hate the PA-not only is it too loud it is poor quality. Reckon we should start a petition as hard to hear others speak and loud enough to be harmful to hearing (not as a one off but cumulatively).

NoseBleed
05-05-2019, 07:14 PM
Doesn't seem any different up on Level 3. What was annoying last night was that the front sections were blocked off for AFL members, which pushed us up into the "line of site to scorboarde blocked by roof gantry" sections. No such a big issue when the small TV's along the roofline provide the same (if delayed) coverage.

Last night they weren't working.

Twodogs
05-05-2019, 07:26 PM
I work with people with disabiltys. With the advertising around the fence (making it almost impossible for people with epilepsy unless you can find a spot where you can see the game but not see the fence, which is pretty much impossible) and the noise through the PA making it hard for people with autism to not freak out.

St Kilda have just introduced a quiet room with a lack of visual/sound stimulation and lots of tactile stimulation which is a great idea because it provides access to games for people who couldn't normally attend but if they are going to be giving you something with one hand but taking it away with the other then it doesn't make a lot of difference.

The bulldog tragician
05-05-2019, 09:37 PM
It is noise without quality. Just shrieking wall of sound. You can never hear interviews or any of the footage when there’s a tribute to a milestone player. I hate the flashing neon around the fences and even wonder if it’s the cause of our famous inaccuracy ( until that all turned around, forever, in quarter 2 on May 42019). And maybe I’m a killjoy but I’m not interested in Oblivious Cam or sweet Caroline. Singing “dah-dah-dah” when you’re nervously wondering whether the Dogs will hang on isn’t what I’m there for.

Daughter of the West
05-05-2019, 10:26 PM
It is noise without quality. Just shrieking wall of sound. You can never hear interviews or any of the footage when there’s a tribute to a milestone player. I hate the flashing neon around the fences and even wonder if it’s the cause of our famous inaccuracy ( until that all turned around, forever, in quarter 2 on May 42019). And maybe I’m a killjoy but I’m not interested in Oblivious Cam or sweet Caroline. Singing “dah-dah-dah” when you’re nervously wondering whether the Dogs will hang on isn’t what I’m there for.

Agree with all of the above, but particularly the neon flashing fences. They're annoying on TV and they're horrible at the ground. Hate them, hate them hate them! :mad:

Happy Days
05-05-2019, 10:50 PM
We've stopped playing the greatest pre-game song in the history of live sport, "Western Bulldogs Taking Over", prior to the bounce, so it's a big thumbs down from me.

AndrewP6
05-05-2019, 10:50 PM
Never been bothered by the fences. Music adds nothing. I reckon staff have been given a “Be nice to customers” memo. Last week, while waiting for my mum outside the toilets, I was asked by 3 staff if I needed assistance. :)

hujsh
05-05-2019, 10:53 PM
We've stopped playing the greatest pre-game song in the history of live sport, "Western Bulldogs Taking Over", prior to the bounce, so it's a big thumbs down from me.

I didn't even notice... Why would we stop?

Axe Man
05-05-2019, 11:12 PM
Sitting on level 3 none of the noise, fence, etc bothers me.

The Adelaide Connection
05-05-2019, 11:16 PM

The weird thing is that it is a Sydney Swans home game ritual and they were playimg it at three quarter time versus the Swans. My mate turned to me and said “I reckon a Sydney official has high jacked the PA to pump them up...”

Our people need to head to a few Port games. Everything about their match day experience craps all over what other clubs are doing (and has since they moved to Adelaide Oval).

HOSE B ROMERO
05-05-2019, 11:36 PM

Agree. They've got the music blaring, the bloke shrieking something over the top (i swear if i ever find out what room he operates from i will not be held responsible for my actions; Judge 'oh, he was the guy on the marvel p.a.? Case dismissed) and still trying to conduct interviews.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-05-2019, 11:46 PM
I'm not trying to be a killjoy either. I like loud music. But i love talking to my mates too. Plus i really miss not being able to overhear opposition supporters so i can have a crack at them.
Not a fan of the fence thing but i can live with it.

I don't know. I just wish they could have one game when everything is stripped back and let us fans decide what we prefer. The sound i love most is the screaming of footy fans. Oh and don't get me started on my reaction when the guy says "Make some noise"! !#@$!@#!@#$#!@

The bulldog tragician
Do we actually need anything? The match day experience is actually....watching your team. Nothing can top the Bulldog chant getting up in a close last quarter, or the buzz when we chat at half time because a new player has got us excited. I don’t feel the need for noise for the sake of it. Did we want to bop along to Sweet Caroline at 3/4 time at the grand final, or was the drama of the game enough? I know some matches are dreary orang or lifeless, but they’re not improved by mindless racket. And if we EVER resort to the “make a noise” signal that Norf employ....:mad:

SonofScray
I thought they'd backed off a little in the sensory assault. Haven't noticed an increase where I sit in L3.

As a Red Sox fan I get a giggle out of Sweet Caroline. Wish we kept Taking Over, we never let things carry on long enough to become a feature, or even just a thing. Footscray End, Teddys Towels etc etc.

We need the Hyde St Band, or a full blown Marching Band pre game instead of the PA top 40 music.

Being somewhat vision impaired, the flashing fences have reduced the quality of my experience immensely. I complained, but effectively got told bad luck, watch at home.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-05-2019, 11:48 PM
And look, I'm over 50 so I'd really like to hear what younger folk think. Especially if you've attended games in the past, maybe practice games, where the 'match day experience' is not so over the top.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-05-2019, 11:57 PM
I thought they'd backed off a little in the sensory assault. Haven't noticed an increase where I sit in L3.

As a Red Sox fan I get a giggle out of Sweet Caroline. Wish we kept Taking Over, we never let things carry on long enough to become a feature, or even just a thing. Footscray End, Teddys Towels etc etc.

We need the Hyde St Band, or a full blown Marching Band pre game instead of the PA top 40 music.

Being somewhat vision impaired, the flashing fences have reduced the quality of my experience immensely. I complained, but effectively got told bad luck, watch at home.

Interesting.
My son and i really liked 'Taking Over' just before the bounce. Sort of a soulful feel. Agree we don't seem to persist with anything.
Would love to get the Hyde St Band back. Whenever i've asked opposition supporters about their memories of Whitten oval, they all remember the band. It was in our DNA.
That's a pretty ordinary response re the fencing SOS.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 09:51 AM
I hate Taking over, but I guess it is all a matter of taste.

In fact, I like Sweet Caroline, even if it is copying REd Sox. I would really like to make it our own (in AFL)

soupman
06-05-2019, 02:45 PM
I loved "taking over". It was a tacky song with shithouse lyrics and not something I would listen to ever in my free time but i really enjoyed it before the games especially compared to the generic pump up songs that get a run usually.

Hate everything else about the matchday "entertainment".

The neon signs around the boundary are atrocious, completely distract and detract from the viewing experience and when they are showing white it feels like some bloke is constantly shining a torch in your eyes. I can't imagine how bad they are for people older than me with worse eyesight.

Hate any kind of manufactured atmosphere, the bell I will tolerate but some of the stuff other clubs run with (especially North) is horrible. The "Make some noise" gimmick is horrific but especially when they have the pre recorded crowd sounds on it so it sounds even more ridiculous.

Oh and Sweet Caroline can go away as well. For starters Sydney already do it, so I can't see a reason that we have to pull out the same move that one of the other clubs are doing. I mean surely there are more than 18 suitable songs for this kind of thing in the world if you are determined to play it. Also I just hate "traditions" being thrust upon us for no reason. Plus I don't really love it as a song.

Happy Days
06-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Taking Over was so bad that it was good and Suckling doing that little finger wag when the countdown hit one never failed to make me laugh. Bring it back.

Sweet Caroline is so bad that it's bad, and has absolutely no connection to anything. Never do it again.

hujsh
06-05-2019, 03:05 PM
The more I think about the oblivious cam the more I feel like we’re being conditioned to always pay attention to the screens in the ground. Let’s lose it.

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Oblivious cam is horrendous..if I want to see someone eating a pie or reading the record I just have to look to my left. Conditioned is the correct word. Has any one else noticed at Marvelhaddomestadium now when your instinct is to look to the screen for a replay they chuck a full sized ad on. Metallica is coming for example..... It's pretty average stuff.

And Western Bulldogs taking over was great. Bevo knew the guys in the band Randy Moon Unit and they rewrote the lyrics to one of their songs. For those of us lucky enough to be there at the post GF function he even joined them on stage for a rendition. Not sure why it's gone..maybe cutting ties with everything 2016.

Twodogs
06-05-2019, 07:17 PM
When Port first started doing that INXS song someone at the club asked me if we were going to do one which song we should do. i said "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones (could you imagine 20 000 people chanting "HEY HO, LET"S GO!") but never heard anything more about it. I dunno, if you aren't interested then why bother asking?

Twodogs
06-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Do we actually need anything? The match day experience is actually....watching your team. Nothing can top the Bulldog chant getting up in a close last quarter, or the buzz when we chat at half time because a new player has got us excited. I don’t feel the need for noise for the sake of it. Did we want to bop along to Sweet Caroline at 3/4 time at the grand final, or was the drama of the game enough? I know some matches are dreary orang or lifeless, but they’re not improved by mindless racket. And if we EVER resort to the “make a noise” signal that Norf employ....:mad:

My opinion too. If the actual game you have gone to watch isnt enough, if you need constant stimulation that the footy isn't providing then maybe you need a bit of help?

AshMac
06-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Outside of the music and fence, I’m a pretty big fan of what marvel are doing w the stadium. When my 4 yo comes w me he loves the murals and the hulk buster statue.

Still cheers for both teams on the day but knows the words to our song

HOSE B ROMERO
06-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Well said tbt. The only time i've ever enjoyed someone's voice over the pa was at the kennel when during a game he would say 'would the owner of vehicle jku602 please go to your vehicle...you've left your engine running'.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-05-2019, 08:17 PM
Oblivious cam is horrendous..if I want to see someone eating a pie or reading the record I just have to look to my left. Conditioned is the correct word. Has any one else noticed at Marvelhaddomestadium now when your instinct is to look to the screen for a replay they chuck a full sized ad on. Metallica is coming for example..... It's pretty average stuff.

And Western Bulldogs taking over was great. Bevo knew the guys in the band Randy Moon Unit and they rewrote the lyrics to one of their songs. For those of us lucky enough to be there at the post GF function he even joined them on stage for a rendition. Not sure why it's gone..maybe cutting ties with everything 2016.
Oblivious cam, kiss cam, dance cam, urrrrgggghhhhhh. They can ram the cam....

HOSE B ROMERO
06-05-2019, 08:20 PM
When Port first started doing that INXS song someone at the club asked me if we were going to do one which song we should do. i said "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones (could you imagine 20 000 people chanting "HEY HO, LET"S GO!") but never heard anything more about it. I dunno, if you aren't interested then why bother asking?

Careful td. If the suits took you up on Blitzkrieg Bop they would probably have the bulldog mascots dressed in leather jackets and beatles wigs.

The Adelaide Connection
06-05-2019, 08:24 PM
I hate Taking over, but I guess it is all a matter of taste.

In fact, I like Sweet Caroline, even if it is copying REd Sox. I would really like to make it our own (in AFL)

The problem is Sydney have been using it for a few years.

Twodogs
06-05-2019, 08:27 PM
Careful td. If the suits took you up on Blitzkrieg Bop they would probably have the bulldog mascots dressed in leather jackets and beatles wigs.

They can borrow mine.

AndrewP6
08-05-2019, 06:40 PM
I wasn't a fan of that 'Taking Over' song, the only positive is its association with the Premiership. SC is an OK song, but not a footy song - I don't understand the appeal of the one Port uses in a sport context either. One thing I am not a fan of is the pregame introductions. It works in the NBA because they announce a starting five - 22 is a bit much. I think it's kinda funny the announcer will overemphasise some names, and virtually mumble others.... TOOOOOORRRRRYYYYY DIIIIIICCCKKKKSSSSOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!.....Lachie Hunter.

Dancin' Douggy
08-05-2019, 08:01 PM
I completely and utterly loathe and despise any attempt to give us a 'match day experience'. The footy is enough. It has always been enough.

Doc26
08-05-2019, 08:44 PM
The Noise Is Terrible.

I’m not sure what generation all the noise and puff at Marvel Stadium is aimed at but my match day cohort struggle to escape it. We can no longer hold a conversation between the breaks because we can’t hear each other over the noise. And although we sit next to each other, in an act of desperation, we’re considering picking up some noise cancelling headphones and calling each other during the breaks simply to have a group chat. Who comes up with this rubbish.

bornadog
08-05-2019, 11:40 PM
The Noise Is Terrible.

I’m not sure what generation all the noise and puff at Marvel Stadium is aimed at but my match day cohort struggle to escape it. We can no longer hold a conversation between the breaks because we can’t hear each other over the noise. And although we sit next to each other, in an act of desperation, we’re considering picking up some noise cancelling headphones and calling each other during the breaks simply to have a group chat. Who comes up with this rubbish.

Totally agree. Get rid of the noise and the flashing signs.

BTW, MCG is the same

Daughter of the West
09-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Thanks to this thread, I have now had "Western Bulldogs Taking Over" stuck in my head since Monday...

hujsh
09-05-2019, 01:53 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/fanzone/clubsong/western-bulldogs-taking-over

1eyedog
09-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Hard gig but that's pretty bad.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-05-2019, 07:42 PM
I wasn't a fan of that 'Taking Over' song, the only positive is its association with the Premiership. SC is an OK song, but not a footy song - I don't understand the appeal of the one Port uses in a sport context either. One thing I am not a fan of is the pregame introductions. It works in the NBA because they announce a starting five - 22 is a bit much. I think it's kinda funny the announcer will overemphasise some names, and virtually mumble others.... TOOOOOORRRRRYYYYY DIIIIIICCCKKKKSSSSOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!.....Lachie Hunter.

Pre game intro's have gotta go. In summary, i don't want to hear a peep out of the announcer unless it's an absolute emergency.

Twodogs
10-05-2019, 01:20 PM
I can remember when they played actual doof doof music when we played our home games at Princes Park before the game. One of my mates said to me "Was it your turn to bring the eccy today because I forgot!"

hujsh
10-05-2019, 03:26 PM
I can remember when they played actual doof doof music when we played our home games at Princes Park before the game. One of my mates said to me "Was it your turn to bring the eccy today because I forgot!"
I feel like I haven't heard that term in 15 years