PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Grant

STACKITUP
13-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi guys just found this write up in the AFL PROSPECTUS according to this grant gives every indication he will be a gun forward , wat do you guys think ?
Grant played in only one winning side in his 8 TAC CUP games for Dandenong in 2007, yet produced an elite set of numbers for a key forward. He was a multiple goalkicker in each match he played , finishing with 27 goals at an average of more then 3 per game which ranked him 2nd in the competition.He not only scored goals but also set them up, averaging 2 score assists per game which made him the most dangerous forward in the TAC CUP in terms of overall scoreboard impact. Grants marking is his main strength, averaging the most contested marks and 2nd most marks inside 50 of anyone in the TAC CUP. Amazingly, Grant also led the TAC CUP in average groundball gets inside 50 which made him the best mark and best ground level player, potentially a deadly combination when he gets his chance in the AFL . Used in defence in 2005 NAB AFL under-16championships ans the 2006 TAC CUP season, Grant won plenty of the ball and provided great rebound which makes him a key position player who has proved himself at both ends of the ground , HE COULD BE ANYTHING THIS BLOKE.
No wonder our recruiting staff were in love with this bloke , he has been described by a lot of people as lazy and only getting a kick when he feels like it , well if these figures are from Grant when he was lazy look out if he decides to play 100 minutes every game of football through the whole season . I believe ladies and gentlemen we have struck key position player gold , would like to know what you guys think?

mjp
13-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Lies, lies and damned statistics. Have you ever seen him play?

Mantis
13-02-2008, 04:32 PM

Why does that matter? All I'm worried about is what the prospectus says.

hujsh
13-02-2008, 04:42 PM
You can't blame S.I.U for getting excited by a few comments. It's not like we're swwimming in quality talls so to see somewhere that someone is looking likely to come on at least is pretty cool

Go_Dogs
13-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Are you suggesting your not excited by his potential mjp? :D

mjp
13-02-2008, 05:29 PM
You can't blame S.I.U for getting excited by a few comments. It's not like we're swwimming in quality talls so to see somewhere that someone is looking likely to come on at least is pretty cool

Actually, I can. Surely this isn't the place for propaganda and unqualified opinions...the stuff in the prospectus is fine, but let's bring something to the table apart from 'He could be anything'. As for 'looking likely to come on', based on what?

Please, someone give me something real to go on. I am reading that he is presenting hard during the match simulations at training...I am reading his kicking for goal is woeful...what else is there? I have seen him play a couple of times for Dandy and VM - I like him just fine. But 'those people' who say he is lazy and only goes when he wants too? One of them is me...Those people who say he was smashed in the last quarter of a game at Williamstown vs the Jets last year, playing against a 5 foot 10'er (who he let run off and kick a goal) when his team desperately needed him to stand up...well, that would be me (and anyone else who saw it).

What has changed between then and now? How is he developing? Does he look a chance to play this year? Round 12? Round 1?

Go_Dogs
13-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Actually, I can. Surely this isn't the place for propaganda and unqualified opinions...the stuff in the prospectus is fine, but let's bring something to the table apart from 'He could be anything'. As for 'looking likely to come on', based on what?

Please, someone give me something real to go on. I am reading that he is presenting hard during the match simulations at training...I am reading his kicking for goal is woeful...what else is there? I have seen him play a couple of times for Dandy and VM - I like him just fine. But 'those people' who say he is lazy and only goes when he wants too? One of them is me...Those people who say he was smashed in the last quarter of a game at Williamstown vs the Jets last year, playing against a 5 foot 10'er (who he let run off and kick a goal) when his team desperately needed him to stand up...well, that would be me (and anyone else who saw it).

What has changed between then and now? How is he developing? Does he look a chance to play this year? Round 12? Round 1?

Were similar things said about Everitt before/after he was drafted last year? "Lazy" etc.

mjp
13-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Were similar things said about Everitt before/after he was drafted last year? "Lazy" etc.

Can't remember. All I remember about Everitt as a TAC Cupper is 'Skinny, great kick'.

I am not for a second suggesting that Grant is no good - just that pumping him up on the basis of what the prospectus says is a pointless exercise.

aker39
13-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Can't remember. All I remember about Everitt as a TAC Cupper is 'Skinny, great kick'.

I am not for a second suggesting that Grant is no good - just that pumping him up on the basis of what the prospectus says is a pointless exercise.

Isn't the prospectus someones opinion, just like yours.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2008, 06:11 PM

To be fair, whilst your right in theory, I'm sure the prospectus is sugar coated to a certain extent. They aren't exactly going to right him up as lazy and talk about negative points in his game in that publication.

mjp
13-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Probably - though I suspect it is more a set of stats pulled together by someone publishing the prospectus to put some kind of paragraph together. If you can pull an opinion out of what the prospectus says, then you are better than me.

More importantly aker39, what do YOU think based on what you have seen?

STACKITUP
13-02-2008, 06:34 PM
propaganda and unqualified opinions.excuse me MJP but arnt you doing exactly the same, here we have a guy who wether you do or dont believe stats has been the premier forward of the tac cup in 2007 , i also have seen this guy play and the stats arnt wrong he takes more contested marks then most his groundplay is better then most and excuse a bulldog supporter for getting a bit excited about a bloke who is over 6foot and can take a mark ur sitting back in your chair and making giving an opionion about a young kid who was beaten on a day you saw him name one footballer dead or alive that hasnt had a bad day and was soundly beaten give Grant a fair go mayb he wont make it mayb the opionion of the AFL PROSPECTUS is wrong but dosnt he deserve a chance dont sit there and say
I am not for a second suggesting that Grant is no good and then bag him because he didnt set the world on fire the day you saw him , dont jump down someones throat for an opinion when all your doing is throwing your opinion back PEOPLE LIE STATISTICS DONT , he did take alot of contested marks and did set up alot of goals and did kick 27 goals himself there is not one lie in there , now im sure when he makes it your gonna sit back and say yeah i watched him play and can this guy take a mark so before you bury this kid let him die 1st

Bulldog Revolution
13-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I haven't seen anything of him apart from the highlights tape on the AFL draft website

And really most players should look good in their highlights tapes.

That said he looked a pretty good set shot for goal - and it now seems to be being suggested he isn't. Is that based on observations of training or a wayward intra club match or two - anyone know?

STACKITUP
13-02-2008, 07:02 PM
The observation must be based on training but from what iv seen of him in games his kicking is sound a good set shot for goal , and i must correct myself here as we all know his name is JARRARD GRANT not GANT sorry about that , but hey lets not forget that Grant is comming off a wrist injury which must have hampered his ballhandling and the balldrop when kicking

Go_Dogs
13-02-2008, 07:03 PM
propaganda and unqualified opinions.excuse me MJP but arnt you doing exactly the same, here we have a guy who wether you do or dont believe stats has been the premier forward of the tac cup in 2007 , i also have seen this guy play and the stats arnt wrong he takes more contested marks then most his groundplay is better then most and excuse a bulldog supporter for getting a bit excited about a bloke who is over 6foot and can take a mark ur sitting back in your chair and making giving an opionion about a young kid who was beaten on a day you saw him name one footballer dead or alive that hasnt had a bad day and was soundly beaten give Grant a fair go mayb he wont make it mayb the opionion of the AFL PROSPECTUS is wrong but dosnt he deserve a chance dont sit there and say
I am not for a second suggesting that Grant is no good and then bag him because he didnt set the world on fire the day you saw him , dont jump down someones throat for an opinion when all your doing is throwing your opinion back PEOPLE LIE STATISTICS DONT , he did take alot of contested marks and did set up alot of goals and did kick 27 goals himself there is not one lie in there , now im sure when he makes it your gonna sit back and say yeah i watched him play and can this guy take a mark so before you bury this kid let him die 1st

Gee Whiz Stack, that was difficult to read.

For what it's worth, mjp is one of the most knowledgeable blokes on this board when it comes to the young kids, and I don't think he was completely jumping down anyone's throat, merely stating the Grant has a few aspects of his game that need work, in his opinion.

Mantis
13-02-2008, 07:05 PM

Relax..

If you have such a high opinion of him you might have spelt his name correctly in the title, yeah I'm picky.

Anyhow the kid looks promising, but I wouldn't be expecting too much from him in the short term. He is still very skinny so hopefully he can put some weight on this season and play so good footy down at Willi.

We know we are desperate need for a tall forward so lets hope he turns out ok.

mjp
13-02-2008, 07:15 PM

Settle, petal.

Before you say I dont rate him, or that I have buried him, go back and read what I said. Then go and read what I have said about him in the past.

There were two phantom drafts on Big Footy - in both of them, I represented the Dogs. In both of them, I selected Jarrod Grant. Pretty clear indication that I rate him as a footballer. So calm down. What I offered in my previous response was some evidence that there might be aspects of his game that still require attention - at 18 years of age, do you really think that is surprising?

You said this: 'What do people think', following on from a quote taken from the AFL Prospectus. Nowhere did you offer an opinion apart from suggesting he 'could be anything'. Well, never has anything more certain been said - he could be good, he could be bad, he could be indifferent. You sure were right - he could be anything.

If you want to question my thoughts and opinions, fine - but if you are going to rant and rave because I say an 18 year old kid who has not yet played a game might not be the perfect AFL superstar, then dont ask for thoughts. Just say 'If anyone out there agrees with this completely positive point of view, please post an equally glowing reply so that we might roll naked in the sunshine together'. Or some other more obvious insistance that you only want replies that agree 100% with yours.

My comments about Jarrod Grant and his football are based on what I have seen over two years of TAC Cup footy (I used to see a lot of it) and, they have been consistent for at least the last 18 months. If you dont believe me, search the archives.

As for not giving him a fair go - what are you on about. I asked for people to tell me what he has done since joining the club, to tell me about his development...to tell me when they thought he might debut and why....for goodness sakes. Maybe my comment about 'unqualified opinions' was harsh, but I simply dont believe that the person who wrote the Grant piece in the Prospectus has ever seen him play - and until that rambling piece I quoted at the start of this you hadn't posted an opinion of your own.

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Settle, petal.

Before you say I dont rate him, or that I have buried him, go back and read what I said. Then go and read what I have said about him in the past.

There were two phantom drafts on Big Footy - in both of them, I represented the Dogs. In both of them, I selected Jarrod Grant. Pretty clear indication that I rate him as a footballer. So calm down. What I offered in my previous response was some evidence that there might be aspects of his game that still require attention - at 18 years of age, do you really think that is surprising?

You said this: 'What do people think', following on from a quote taken from the AFL Prospectus. Nowhere did you offer an opinion apart from suggesting he 'could be anything'. Well, never has anything more certain been said - he could be good, he could be bad, he could be indifferent. You sure were right - he could be anything.

If you want to question my thoughts and opinions, fine - but if you are going to rant and rave because I say an 18 year old kid who has not yet played a game might not be the perfect AFL superstar, then dont ask for thoughts. Just say 'If anyone out there agrees with this completely positive point of view, please post an equally glowing reply so that we might roll naked in the sunshine together'. Or some other more obvious insistance that you only want replies that agree 100% with yours.

My comments about Jarrod Grant and his football are based on what I have seen over two years of TAC Cup footy (I used to see a lot of it) and, they have been consistent for at least the last 18 months. If you dont believe me, search the archives.

As for not giving him a fair go - what are you on about. I asked for people to tell me what he has done since joining the club, to tell me about his development...to tell me when they thought he might debut and why....for goodness sakes. Maybe my comment about 'unqualified opinions' was harsh, but I simply dont believe that the person who wrote the Grant piece in the Prospectus has ever seen him play - and until that rambling piece I quoted at the start of this you hadn't posted an opinion of your own.

Not correct. 25th october on Big footy you picked Gourdis as pick 5 (who wasnt selected at national draft).

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi guys just found this write up in the AFL PROSPECTUS according to this grant gives every indication he will be a gun forward , wat do you guys think ?
Grant played in only one winning side in his 8 TAC CUP games for Dandenong in 2007, yet produced an elite set of numbers for a key forward. He was a multiple goalkicker in each match he played , finishing with 27 goals at an average of more then 3 per game which ranked him 2nd in the competition.He not only scored goals but also set them up, averaging 2 score assists per game which made him the most dangerous forward in the TAC CUP in terms of overall scoreboard impact. Grants marking is his main strength, averaging the most contested marks and 2nd most marks inside 50 of anyone in the TAC CUP. Amazingly, Grant also led the TAC CUP in average groundball gets inside 50 which made him the best mark and best ground level player, potentially a deadly combination when he gets his chance in the AFL . Used in defence in 2005 NAB AFL under-16championships ans the 2006 TAC CUP season, Grant won plenty of the ball and provided great rebound which makes him a key position player who has proved himself at both ends of the ground , HE COULD BE ANYTHING THIS BLOKE.
No wonder our recruiting staff were in love with this bloke , he has been described by a lot of people as lazy and only getting a kick when he feels like it , well if these figures are from Grant when he was lazy look out if he decides to play 100 minutes every game of football through the whole season . I believe ladies and gentlemen we have struck key position player gold , would like to know what you guys think?

Yes plenty to be excited about however he has been injured for more of the pre season and he is very young so it's hard to gauge. My biggest question mark is if at 192cm he will have the size to be a genuine key position player. Sure guys like Pavlich are but normally you need to a bit bigger than Grant.
His marking and athletic ability sound great.

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 07:49 PM
MJP- In another Big Footy thread you had Henderson as our number one pick. Seems you only changed to Grant when Clayton made it public he was interested. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just stating the facts.
(In fairness you did pick Grant as pick 35 in ONE draft)

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 07:51 PM

You have over reacted a fair bit there SIU. mjp saw a lot of junior football and isn't criticising the boy.

hujsh
13-02-2008, 09:12 PM

I know it's a way back but he's just excited. He may have over reacted but I don't see it as a bad thing for someone to say this bloke sound alright and then to follow him a little more closely.

When I got the number 12 for footy i check who it was. I had no idea who Williams was but i found out about him and he is one of my fav players and i hope he does well i little more than say Josh Hill.

Surely you didn't mean to say you can blame him for being excited about a player. Haven't you see a player and gone this boy looks awesome.:)

mjp
13-02-2008, 11:44 PM
MJP- In another Big Footy thread you had Henderson as our number one pick. Seems you only changed to Grant when Clayton made it public he was interested. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just stating the facts.

Hi Jerry.

Geez I love it when people are WRONG.

In the second draft, you are right - I picked Gourdis first. Whom did I pick second? Grant. I had Gourdis and Grant after 19 selections had finished. LOOK IT UP.

In the first draft, I did not make the first selection as I was working away - I would NEVER have picked Henderson - another commonly known fact. I then got Grant at 35. I actually think Scooter made the pick for me, I took over from round#2.

So, when you state facts - as you say - state them correctly. I said I selected GRANT in both phantom drafts - I did. I never claimed I selected him with our first pick. Would you like me to send you the link.

As an aside, I am an unashamed fan of Gourdis and remain convinced he will make an impact at Richmond.

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi Jerry.

In the second draft, you are right - I picked Gourdis first. Whom did I pick second? Grant. I had Gourdis and Grant after 19 selections had finished. LOOK IT UP.

In the first draft, I did not make the first selection as I was working away - I would NEVER have picked Henderson - another commonly known fact. I then got Grant at 35. I actually think Scooter made the pick for me, I took over from round#2.

So, when you state facts - as you say - state them correctly. I said I selected GRANT in both phantom drafts - I did. I never claimed I selected him with our first pick. Would you like me to send you the link.

As an aside, I am an unashamed fan of Gourdis and remain convinced he will make an impact at Richmond.

Nothing personal MJp, i just think you are the hotshot 'talent scout' people make you out to be. (the big footy says MJP picked Henderson pick 5, sorry if i miss read that)

Sockeye Salmon
14-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi Jerry.

I did.

MJP also took Ward with his 2nd pick in that draft.

However, it's February, Mike. Very few of us have seen any of our draftees play.

We're all desperate for the footy to start and you got to agree, they are pretty impressive stats. I have to confess to getting a slight tingle down below when I read them.

mjp
14-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I did.

MJP also took Ward with his 2nd pick in that draft.

However, it's February, Mike. Very few of us have seen any of our draftees play.

We're all desperate for the footy to start and you got to agree, they are pretty impressive stats. I have to confess to getting a slight tingle down below when I read them.

And all of that is fair enough...and I never once said his stats weren't impressive...and I never said he wasn't a good prospect.

All I want is to try and balance the bs with reality and give the 18year olds a chance to succeed without the burden of expectation. Fine - get excited. But remember, they are learning and developing and have a long way to go.

LostDoggy
14-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Lets say the dogs finished higher up the ladder and had pick 12 instead of pick 5. Would another team have taken Grant at pick 5? Or did we just pick him because he's a tall forward and really the 5th best player to pick in the draft was really Palmer or Meyers or Ebert or Vezspremi ect ect....

I actually don't know if i want to know the truth about that. Either way only time will tell!

Go_Dogs
14-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Clayton rated Grant as the 4th best player in the draft. Getting him at 5 was a steal, much like Melbourne getting Morton at 4.

Dancin' Douggy
14-02-2008, 12:11 PM
With all due respect. I don't think we need ANY reality. Let's just hype everything and everyone up for now, all get excited and drive a huge rush of new members.
Reality can take care of itself once the season starts.

mjp
14-02-2008, 12:26 PM
With all due respect. I don't think we need ANY reality. Let's just hype everything and everyone up for now, all get excited and drive a huge rush of new members.

Thanks for making me smile...

Reality is, after all, only a day away.

hujsh
14-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks for making me smile...

Reality is, after all, only a day away.

I'd say it's a little over a month away. Not too much is ever taken from the NAB Cup

mjp
14-02-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd say it's a little over a month away. Not too much is ever taken from the NAB Cup

If you think it isn't important from a membership perspective (which was DD's point), then ring a couple of clubs and talk to the marketing departments. For the reality of members, the pre-season competition is very important.

hujsh
14-02-2008, 01:22 PM
If you think it isn't important from a membership perspective (which was DD's point), then ring a couple of clubs and talk to the marketing departments. For the reality of members, the pre-season competition is very important.

He said that the NAB should be about excitement and creating members.

Then when the season starts reality will take care of itself.

So reality comes 23rd of march.

mjp
14-02-2008, 01:29 PM
He said that the NAB should be about excitement and creating members.

Then when the season starts reality will take care of itself.

So reality comes 23rd of march.

Actually, he said "Let's just hype everyone and everything up for now, all get excited....".

If you are trying to tell me that our efforts to hype stuff up and put a positive spin on things will not be impacted by the on-field performances against other AFL sides (aka REALITY) then you are delusional.

Pretty hard to generate excitement and members when you are playing in non-televised members in outer woop-woop. Like it or not, from the perspective of generating hope and excitement for the season ahead, it all starts tomorrow.

The reality of 4 points? Yep, agree with you. 4 weeks away.

hujsh
14-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Actually, he said "Let's just hype everyone and everything up for now, all get excited....".

If you are trying to tell me that our efforts to hype stuff up and put a positive spin on things will not be impacted by the on-field performances against other AFL sides (aka REALITY) then you are delusional.

Pretty hard to generate excitement and members when you are playing in non-televised members in outer woop-woop. Like it or not, from the perspective of generating hope and excitement for the season ahead, it all starts tomorrow.

The reality of 4 points? Yep, agree with you. 4 weeks away.

The way i see it is
1.Lets hype the NAB Cup up if we do well and create members
2.When the season starts (proper) there will be a reality check and we will see how good we really are.

So the hype starts tomorrow when we search for more members, then we will see just how good we are when the season starts in March.

(that's right i figured out multipost)

Sockeye Salmon
14-02-2008, 02:16 PM
The NAB Cup is a win-win situation.

If we win we're going to be (day) premiers.

If we lose it's just a stupid Mickey Mouse, trumped-up practice match.

Twodogs
14-02-2008, 04:43 PM
(that's right i figured out multipost)

Huzzah!

I've been wondering what it meant myself but didnt want to ask.

The Underdog
14-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Well it's good to see a little BF style devolution.
I'm looking forward to seeing Ganty in the flesh (that's my little nickname for him. "Ganty", not "in the flesh". That'd be wierd ). Of course there's always the chance he's not going to win a Brownlow. That'll be disappointing, but I'm sure we'll draft a new messiah next year.
It's just been a pleasure to be able to contribute so little.

westdog54
14-02-2008, 09:53 PM

Fact 1: He never said he picked him with his first pick, only that he picked him.

Fact 2: Henderson was not picked by MJP himself, but someone else on MJP's behalf.

Get your facts straight.

FrediKanoute
15-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Fact 1: He never said he picked him with his first pick, only that he picked him.

Fact 2: Henderson was not picked by MJP himself, but someone else on MJP's behalf.

Get your facts straight.

Easy tiger!!! I think the facts have been set straight. No one doubts MJP's knowledge of TAC players etc and TBH if training form is anything to go by Grant looks the goods (or so I've been told)!

westdog54
15-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Easy tiger!!! I think the facts have been set straight. No one doubts MJP's knowledge of TAC players etc and TBH if training form is anything to go by Grant looks the goods (or so I've been told)!

I never actually bothered to read page 2. Saw the post and my blood boiled.