PDA

View Full Version : Footy clubs that are known as 'the bulldogs' or wear the red, white and blue

HOSE B ROMERO
10-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Always had a curiosity about country or suburban clubs that are either known as the bulldogs or wear the red, white and blue. For example:

South Fremantle
Central districts
Tatura
Mornington
East Sydney
Point Cook

What others can you come up with?

AndrewP6
10-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Bunyip FC
Gisborne FC

AFL affiliated clubs here (https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/fanzone/grassroots-football/bulldogs-affiliated-clubs)

Eastdog
10-05-2019, 08:05 PM
North Heidelberg FC - Northern Football League
South Croydon FC - Eastern Football League

comrade
10-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Daylesford

chef
10-05-2019, 09:47 PM
A few from my way
Tat(already mentioned)
Merigum
Tyntynder
North Bendigo
Tarrawingee
Strathmerton

Bulldog4life
10-05-2019, 10:02 PM
I will broaden the subject and go for Canterbury Bulldogs in the NRL. Unfortunately only blue and white.

Daughter of the West
10-05-2019, 10:11 PM
I will broaden the subject and go for Canterbury Bulldogs in the NRL. Unfortunately only blue and white.

Nope, fortunately. I wouldn't want to be tied with them in any way, shape or form!

mjp
10-05-2019, 10:21 PM
University of Georgia (Bulldogs - College Football/Basketball etc).

Down the road from my work is a team called the 'Cockburn Lakes Warriors' and they where the tri-colour. Not sure what grade of the Ammos they play in though.

Webby
10-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Nope. They are scum and pinched our nickname in 1977. 50+ years after us. Upstarts..

Webby
10-05-2019, 10:59 PM
Daylesford

Interestingly, Daylesford were straigh out Melbourne FC guernseys with the Demons moniker. (But 70’s/80’s royal blue version.) Members of the Ballarat FL. Bitter rivals, neighbours, Hepburn FC (Central Highlands League) wore Port Melbourne colours.

Whilst Chris Grant was starring for the Dogs, Daylesford exited the Ballarat League and entered the Central Highlands league. Due to the colour clash with Hepburn, they had to change colours. The Grant influence meant that they went with the WBFC colours and adopted the “Daylesford Dogs.”

We were directly respectful msible for that - via Granty!

Another one was Central District in SA. I believe we donated their first set of jumpers in the last 1950’s. Two clubs I tend to keep an eye on.

The Adelaide Connection
10-05-2019, 11:08 PM
Barossa (an amalgamation of Williamstown and Lyndoch in the Barossa/Gawler league)
Wallaroo
Central United (Amateurs)

Plympton (Red, Black and white)
Ingle Farm (Green and White)

Axe Man
11-05-2019, 12:32 AM
In our league (West Gippsland) there are 2 Bulldogs teams that wear red, white and blue due to league changes over the years - Bunyip and Phillip Island. Surely a rare situation.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2019, 11:11 AM
In our league (West Gippsland) there are 2 Bulldogs teams that wear red, white and blue due to league changes over the years - Bunyip and Phillip Island. Surely a rare situation.

Extremely rare i'd imagine Axeman. What alternative jumpers are worn when they play each other? And does both sets of supporters shout 'Go dogs'?

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Interestingly, Daylesford were straigh out Melbourne FC guernseys with the Demons moniker. (But 70’s/80’s royal blue version.) Members of the Ballarat FL. Bitter rivals, neighbours, Hepburn FC (Central Highlands League) wore Port Melbourne colours.

Whilst Chris Grant was starring for the Dogs, Daylesford exited the Ballarat League and entered the Central Highlands league. Due to the colour clash with Hepburn, they had to change colours. The Grant influence meant that they went with the WBFC colours and adopted the “Daylesford Dogs.”

Another one was Central District in SA. I believe we donated their first set of jumpers in the last 1950’s. Two clubs I tend to keep an eye on.

Webby, that's a great tale. "Daylesford Dogs"; i think David Bowie wrote a song about them.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2019, 11:17 AM
A few from my way
Tat(already mentioned)
Merigum
Tyntynder
North Bendigo
Tarrawingee
Strathmerton

Some great names there Chef. Will have to look up which leagues they're in.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2019, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the input. Adding them to my list. Keep them coming folks.

ledge
11-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Keilor also wears the colours in the EDFL.
Sunshine heights in the WRFL wear the red , white and blue but are known as the dragons.
And don’t forget Footscray in the VFL ;-)

Twodogs
11-05-2019, 12:42 PM
University of Georgia (Bulldogs - College Football/Basketball etc).

Down the road from my work is a team called the 'Cockburn Lakes Warriors' and they where the tri-colour. Not sure what grade of the Ammos they play in though.

There are a Denver Bulldogs in the American AFL competition too.

He grows greater everyday. is there nothing Chris Grant can't do?

Bulldog4life
11-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Nope, fortunately. I wouldn't want to be tied with them in any way, shape or form!

We are not tied with them but unfortunately they are still Bulldogs.

Doggy
11-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Keilor Football Club.
They wear the 70's version of the jumper but are strangely called the Blues

Axe Man
11-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Extremely rare i'd imagine Axeman. What alternative jumpers are worn when they play each other? And does both sets of supporters shout 'Go dogs'?

I will never be at a game between them but we have played both already this year and Phillip Island wear a white jumper like our away strip so I guess that’s the solution. Bunyip supporters would likely say go the yips, not sure what they say at the island.

merantau
11-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Golden Square are called the Bulldogs. Not sure of the colours though. They were coached by Alan Martin of '54 Flag fame.

GVGjr
11-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Golden Square are called the Bulldogs. Not sure of the colours though. They were coached by Alan Martin of '54 Flag fame.

Blue and Gold

Axe Man
12-05-2019, 01:15 AM
Another one I just remembered from Gippsland is Sale City - traditional red, white and blue + bulldogs.

Danny the snakeman
12-05-2019, 02:25 AM
My nephew plays for the morley bulldogs here in perth, they wear doggies jumpers .

Murphy'sLore
12-05-2019, 10:10 AM
Korumburra Bena wear red, white and blue and were Bulldogs until 2014, when they changed to Giants. This pathetic decision was appropriately rewarded with consecutive wooden spoons ��

LostDoggy
12-05-2019, 01:09 PM
My first team was the Mt Compass bulldogs, solid country football town, footy was a part of the community each week. Colours are maroon and gold.

Twodogs
12-05-2019, 01:18 PM

Blue and Gold

And Sandhusrt wear red, white and blue?

Happy Days
12-05-2019, 07:03 PM
When I was a kid my Dad had me convinced that South Croydon were the same team as the AFL one.

HOSE B ROMERO
12-05-2019, 09:27 PM
When I was a kid my Dad had me convinced that South Croydon were the same team as the AFL one.

Ha, ha typical Dad mischief. My son reminds me that when he was young i told him Hayden Ballantyne was my cousin(throw away line). Anyway he told all his mates at school. It was only when he mentioned it to me a few years later that i broke it to him that i'd made it up. He wasn't impressed.

KT31
12-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Merimbula Diggers have worn our 70's & 80's jumpers, now they have a similar design to our robo-dog jumper but instead of robo-dog we put the RSL servicemans anchor on it.

craigsahibee
13-05-2019, 09:51 AM
North Heidelberg FC - Northern Football League
South Croydon FC - Eastern Football League

I'm a proud Kennel Club Member at South Croydon.

I've only been watching them for 5 years when their games don't clash with ours as a couple of my mates have been long time supporters and $5 beers at the local footy is a bloody good thing.

It's a fantastic footy club full of great people and the junior club of Brett Montgomery and Lukas Markovic.

Axe Man
13-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Korumburra Bena wear red, white and blue and were Bulldogs until 2014, when they changed to Giants. This pathetic decision was appropriately rewarded with consecutive wooden spoons ��

Korumburra also play in the West Gippsland league now so that would have made 3 RWB bulldogs teams in the same league if they hadn't changed! Why on earth they would want to emulate that plastic franchise from Western Sydney I have no idea.

Some more Gippsland teams:
- Newborough from the Mid Gippsland League. They even have Cede Nullis as their motto.
- Bruthen from the Omeo District league.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-05-2019, 02:22 PM
North Broken Hill Bulldogs.

Listened to an interview with the president of the Broken Hill footy league recently. There are 4 clubs: North, South, West and, no not East, Centrals. The Bulldogs have the most premierships with 38, the last being in that golden year, 2016.

Taylor Walker's mum owns the local hair salon...

mjp
30-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Was up in Geraldton - they have the Towns Bulldogs (red and white).

Prince Imperial
30-05-2019, 07:44 PM
The Bogota Bulldogs wear Colombian colours:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpsPLozaOM

Twodogs
30-05-2019, 10:02 PM
North Broken Hill Bulldogs.

Listened to an interview with the president of the Broken Hill footy league recently. There are 4 clubs: North, South, West and, no not East, Centrals. The Bulldogs have the most premierships with 38, the last being in that golden year, 2016.

Taylor Walker's mum owns the local hair salon...

Was that the interview on coodabeens the other day?

I wonder if his mum ducks her head when she hears footsteps the way Taylor does? I'm thinking so, he wouldn't have learned that off his dad...

HOSE B ROMERO
31-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Was that the interview on coodabeens the other day?

I wonder if his mum ducks her head when she hears footsteps the way Taylor does? I'm thinking so, he wouldn't have learned that off his dad...

Yep Coodabeens.
Who was his dad?

HOSE B ROMERO
31-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Was up in Geraldton - they have the Towns Bulldogs (red and white).

Like South Freo mjp?

Axe Man
31-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Yep Coodabeens.
Who was his dad?

I assume this guy.
https://i.postimg.cc/W1Fh2wd9/Walker-Title.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

HOSE B ROMERO
31-05-2019, 06:39 PM
I assume this guy.
https://i.postimg.cc/W1Fh2wd9/Walker-Title.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Get back out there Axeman. The crowd want more...

Twodogs
01-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Yep Coodabeens.
Who was his dad?

No idea. He was a local legend in Broken Hill though.

I knew another guy who was a professional player in Broken Hill called Oberan Pirak-actually I knew one of his daughters. Oberan was Terry Wallace's right hand man. He ran interference with the players and just stopped Terry being Terry sometimes.

Doc26
01-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Mentioned previously in this thread but South Croydon in the outer east of Melbourne still go with old robodog as their logo but pre robo jumpers. Very nostalgic.

And who says that we’re in a slump ;)

The Dogs took a huge win in 2017 to take their first 1st Division EFL premiership. Unfortunately they were runners up to the all powerful Vermont in 2018’s tilt at back to back flags.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9aopbhulm7az4z/SouthCroydon.jpg?raw=1

and at last year’s grand final.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rwz5ovdipnyp55/SouthCroydon2.jpg?raw=1

And match day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi0d1jttalj0hin/SouthCroydon3.jpg?raw=1