PDA

View Full Version : Contested Marking

Twodogs
13-05-2019, 08:06 PM
All this talk about the contested marking record got me thinking. I can remember going to the footy one day v St Kilda at Western Oval and deciding to keep a record of how many marks Kelvin Templeton took-and every mark that KT took was contested, usually he had two or three opposition players hanging off him.

So I went looking for the footy record that I kept the total in and it was 26 marks KT took that day at CHF. The man was a phenomenon.

ledge
13-05-2019, 08:17 PM
All this talk about the contested marking record got me thinking. I can remember going to the footy one day v St Kilda at Western Oval and deciding to keep a record of how many marks Kelvin Templeton took-and every mark that KT took was contested, usually he had two or three opposition players hanging off him.

So I went looking for the footy record that I kept the total in and it was 26 marks KT took that day at CHF. The man was a phenomenon.
To be honest I don’t remember too many that weren’t in his whole career, would back Gary Dempsey would have been up there too, he used to take all his at CHF trying to stop the floodgates opening every week.

Dancin' Douggy
13-05-2019, 08:29 PM

What year and round was it? Was it the 15 goal game?

Twodogs
13-05-2019, 08:34 PM
What year and round was it? Was it the 15 goal game?

1980. The year he won the Brownlow. I looked it up on AFLTables and it only credits KT with 19 marks but I was there, I kept a record and my total numbered 26

1eyedog
13-05-2019, 08:39 PM
The best player I ever saw live based on his 1980 season and I saw a little bit of Carey and living next Kardinia Park for 20 years a lot of Ablett Snr. KT was Naughton with more hype and far more runs on the board. He was an absolute jet.