Pages : [1] 2

KT31
16-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Tom Morris

Verified account

@tommorris32
2m2 minutes ago
More
Premiership Dog Tom Boyd has retired. Wow. Further evidence that footy is a brutal game physically and mentally for players.

Sad if true, but he will always be our Grand Final hero.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Tom Morris

Verified account

@tommorris32
2m2 minutes ago
More
Premiership Dog Tom Boyd has retired. Wow. Further evidence that footy is a brutal game physically and mentally for players.

Wow....unbelievable.
Does he get to keep his coin?

divvydan
16-05-2019, 03:29 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-16/tom-boyd-announces-afl-retirement

KT31
16-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Tom Boyd announces AFL retirement
May 16, 2019 2:15PM

Boyd delivers on biggest stage
Re-live the moment where Tom Boyd confirmed the Dogs would win their second flag!
Leaving the game as a premiership player is something I will always be proud of, along with all the enduring relationships I have forged and the memories I have created along the way.
Tom Boyd
The physical and emotional toll of AFL football has led Tom Boyd to the decision to immediately retire from the game.

Boyd, 23, has decided to finish his time at AFL level as a premiership player who recorded 61 games and kicked 50 goals with the GWS Giants and the Bulldogs.

“My decision to retire now is a reflection of issues I’ve had over the past five years both with physical injury and with mental health, and they have now accumulated to a point where I just don’t have the desire to play or the enjoyment of the game I used to have,” Boyd said.

“I’ve spoken with key people at the Western Bulldogs and my close friends and family, and I am satisfied that this is the right decision for my future. I approached the Club about my desire to retire and be released from my contract this week, and we have worked out a mutually agreeable position.

“I’m grateful to both to the Giants and the Bulldogs for allowing me the opportunity to experience playing football at the highest level.

“I have received unbelievable support from the players, coaches and staff at the Western Bulldogs, particularly over the last couple of years, which I will always appreciate.

“Leaving the game as a premiership player is something I will always be proud of, along with all the enduring relationships I have forged and the memories I have created along the way.”

Tom and his manager Liam Pickering met with the Club this morning and reached a friendly resolution of all contractual matters. That resolution included that Tom’s payment in 2019 be reduced and that payments previously agreed for 2020 and 2021 be cancelled.

“We worked very hard to bring Tom to the football club at the end of 2014, and he has been a great contributor to the Bulldogs for over four years,” said Bulldogs Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“Everyone at the Bulldogs is saddened to hear of Tom’s decision to retire, given he is a much-loved and respected person around the Club.

“Over the last few years we have worked very closely with Tom and his family to support him through a difficult period, and we will continue to offer that support as he enters the next phase of his life.

“We will not forget the role he played on the field, especially in the 2016 finals series when he showed the football world what he was capable of, on the biggest stage possible.

“We will miss Tom’s influence at the Bulldogs, and he and his family will always be welcome at the Club.”

Greystache
16-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Takes a proportion of this year's contract and walks away from his last 2 years.

The media should take a great deal of the heat for this situation. Naturally they won't as they are above the standards they demand of others.

Murphy'sLore
Sad, but probably the right decision for him rather than keep struggling. I'll never forget that glorious post-goal run with Toby clinging to his back in the Grand Final -- such a joyous image.

G-Mo77
Sadly I'm not surprised. I don't think he's looked interested for some time and clearly his mind is elsewhere. It's a good move for him, he probably loses those big dollars but there is more to life than money so it's a great decision for him to leave it all behind. I truely hope he find his way in life. All the best Tom!

The Bulldogs Bite
Gutted - really wanted him to make it.

Feel for him and hope he can be at peace away from footy.

A real shame but forever grateful, Tom.

1eyedog
16-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Wtf!

lemmon
16-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Don't think anyone saw that coming. Go well, Tom

Ozza
16-05-2019, 03:37 PM
On some levels it is incredibly sad. All of the reasons for that - the pressure, his mental illness and his injury issues all speak for themselves.

On another level, I guess the silver lining, is that it is probably an incredible weight off his shoulders. He comes across as an intelligent young man, who will have the capacity to have a good career elsewhere - and obviously leaves the game well set up financially.

Part of me feels relieved for him. As a supporter, I felt anxious for him every time he played, for every contest he was in, that he would hold his own to some extent and get some positive momentum in his career.

Mofra
The fact he's sacrificing such huge coin and has been so honest with the club adds to my sympathies for him, but he will always be a Bullgod and the argument over whether he should have won the Normie will never cease.

1eyedog
So do we have heaps of cash now or was he front loaded?

Murphy'sLore
The retirement is nearly as big a shock as the recruitment was...

comrade
16-05-2019, 03:38 PM
All the best to the big fella.

Bringing him to the club was a watershed moment & culminated in the greatest game of our lives. Now he does the right thing by the club and himself to move on and allows everyone focus on more important things.

Rocket Science
16-05-2019, 03:39 PM
Is it possible to feel shocked but unsurprised?

We'll continue to die wondering if he could ever be that key forward.

Achieved plenty compared to most mortals. Go well young man.

Ozza
16-05-2019, 03:44 PM

feel the same

Probably also gives greater context to Bevo talking about how far off AFL footy that Tom was/is - a few weeks ago.

comrade
16-05-2019, 03:45 PM
This might not be the thread for it but the salary cap implications could be huge. The numbers were never straight forward on this deal but you’d imagine we’ve now freed up quite a bit of cash.

1eyedog
16-05-2019, 03:47 PM
This makes the Naughton acquisition all the more crucial. I wonder if we had some foresight in this. Adams leaving and Tom's future uncertain.

Ozza
16-05-2019, 03:49 PM
This might not be the thread for it but the salary cap implications could be huge. The numbers were never straight forward on this deal but you’d imagine we’ve now freed up quite a bit of cash.

I think everyone is sensible enough to understand that we all feel incredibly sad for Tom and wish him the best - and can talk about the sad side of it, and the practical side of it in the same thread.

But yes, on the practical side, him coming to the club and as part of retiring, giving up the 2020 and 2021 $'s - it frees up space to get in a very good player. I had heard that in 2016 his wage was up in the high $1m's - so 20/21 might only be 600-800K per year - but still really significant.

Funke disco
16-05-2019, 03:50 PM
I will always be grateful for his contribution on grand final day. I remember when he kicked the center square goal and being so happy that it was he that scored it and would hopefully silence his critics from that day fourth. He just couldn't get a clean run at it with due to his body and other factors at play. But mostly, I am glad that he chose us and filled us with hope and optimism. At a time of desperation when the situation was bleak he elected to come to a team without a coach that was predicted by all (me included) to be a bottom four club and a rabble. All the best in life. I look forward to hearing about your success in all your future endeavors.

GVGjr
16-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Massive news and I wish him all the best.

He made a significant contribution to us particularly in 2016 and that won't be forgotten by me.

bornadog
16-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Hopefully Tom can sort him self out. Massive decision for him to give it all away.

Thank you Tom for that one day in September, we will never forget it and never forget you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyh4GH9wbNA

bornadog
16-05-2019, 03:52 PM
Leaves us a ruck short. Maybe his decision has something to do with the mid season draft coming up

comrade
16-05-2019, 03:54 PM
At 23, it’s not too late for him to have a break for a year or two and give it another crack either if that’s what he wants.

hujsh
16-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Leaves us a ruck short. Maybe his decision has something to do with the mid season draft coming up

Must target a Ruck

Thanks to Tom for his service. Had people actively hoping for his demise and for that brief moment he made them all look very foolish. His contribution to the club in a short time was as much as you could have asked for. Always has seemed like, more than anything, a great person. Sometimes that doesn't gel well with being a great footballer. I wish him all the best and hope this decision is the best for his future and allows him to find happiness in other parts of life.

Rocket Science
16-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Exactly my thoughts.

Please don't get injured Timmy English. Pretty please.

Otherwise Jordon Sweet come on down.

Flamethrower
16-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Tom's physical and mental health is far more important that chasing around a football and being constantly scrutinised and criticized by mainstream media filth and low life trolls on social media.

Good luck Tom - you will be a BullGod hero forever for being a massive part of the 2016 Premiership team.

Grantysghost
16-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Gee whiz. The writing was on the wall I guess. Fair thee well Tom life is more important than football.
What a time to deliver his career best. Worth every cent.

Bulldog Revolution
16-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I wish him nothing but the best

His career is a snapshot of the modern game - a ludicrously overhyped key forward prospect drafted to a startup franchise (they werent even a club) - to play for a team and in a town he never wanted to play for, and probably had legit mental health reasons for not wanting to right from the start.

We were criticised for trading for him - when losing our captain/best midfielder - when really, we couldn't just accept the Giants 6th best midfielder in return.

He put it all aside to do enough in the ruck in a prelim when Roughy went down and then produce a brilliant grand final to win the finest premiership football has ever seen. I didnt want to acknowledge my inner voices when he kicked that left foot snap in the second quarter - but my brain spoke to me and it said you dont lose grand finals when Tom Boyd is kicking goals like that.

The media hounded him, and us - for our paying of an untried prospect - even though it worked and delivered the mythical cup - they continued to hound and he retreated once more and lost his desire to play the game. And now they will say how sad it is and repeat the cycle. He was never anything more than news to them.

Ozza
16-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Must target a Ruck

Thanks to Tom for his service. Had people actively hoping for his demise and for that brief moment he made them all look very foolish. His contribution to the club in a short time was as much as you could have asked for. Always has seemed like, more than anything, a great person. Sometimes that doesn't gel well with being a great footballer. I wish him all the best and hope this decision is the best for his future and allows him to find happiness in other parts of life.

Even some of the calls on SEN so far have been appalling.
One peanut rang up to say that Tom Boyd retired because he must have released the AFL rigged the 2016 grand final and gave the dogs all the free kicks....and Andy Maher cut him off and gave him a spray. But this is the sort of nonsense that is out there.

Mofra
16-05-2019, 04:04 PM
That's certainly a consideration. Two picks now. We have to pick up Gardner now, surely.

I wonder if Young playing ruck was an indication that Gia & Bevo knew weeks in advance.

comrade
16-05-2019, 04:07 PM
I would love someone to give Leigh Matthews a spray.

Rocket Science
16-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Flashback to Bevo slams 'disgraceful' Boyd inference (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-17/bevo-slams-disgraceful-sliding-doors-column)

How ya feeling now, Purple? Worth it for the clicks?

bornadog
16-05-2019, 04:16 PM
Some of our players didn't help either with Stringer bullying him, Dahl calling him the million dollar man when he walked into the rooms. No respect for those blokes.

Ozza
16-05-2019, 04:18 PM
Some of our players didn't help either with Stringer bullying him, Dahl calling him the million dollar man when he walked into the rooms. No respect for those blokes.

Think that is dangerous territory BAD. We don't really know what happened inside the club and relationships between the players. All hearsay and rumour.

1eyedog
16-05-2019, 04:22 PM
Think that is dangerous territory BAD. We don't really know what happened inside the club and relationships between the players. All hearsay and rumour.

Nope I got that direct from Tristan Tweedie. It was very real.

chef
16-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Another immortal:p goes. Hopefully this will help relieve the pressure and Tom can get in with living his best life.

bornadog
16-05-2019, 04:28 PM
Nope I got that direct from Tristan Tweedie. It was very real.

Sorry to bring it out, I also heard that from a mate of a (current player)

Mofra
16-05-2019, 04:32 PM
I heard exactly the same from a player sponsor.

WBFC4FFC
16-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Well at least the Club dealt with the aforementioned provocateurs by trading them out.

Hope Boyd gets well, with the Club still supporting him. (We want players of the Club to be able to leave in a better position in life to when they joined). Do whats right for you.

If it means he finds his way back into footy in due course (with another club) so be it.

Remi Moses
16-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Like a few others said , shocked but not surprised.
The body also might play a part here as he’s a huge bloke .
We got him to win us a flag and he delivered in spades .
The media showed their colours where he should have won the Norm Smith .

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Just 23 such a shame

Funke disco
16-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Forgot all about that one. Know doubt the circle jerk at channel 7 will overlook that one

bornadog
16-05-2019, 04:50 PM
great Tweet this one:

Jarrad Grant‏

Tom Boyd didn’t pick himself at pick 1, he didn’t offer himself over 1 million a year. He did contribute largely to something every dogs fan is forever grateful for.

Dancin' Douggy
16-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Anything that helps me dislike Stringer and Dalhaus is a useful tool to me.

On Tom, I agree with a lot of the sentiment on here. Shocked but....... kind of not shocked.

The salary cap relief for us I imagine will be a fairly significant factor as far as list building goes.

We'll never get to see the best of Tom, or maybe we DID see the best of him that glorious day.
The poor guy must have suffered mentally and physically over the years. To walk away at 23 actually shows a lot of inner strength to me.
I, for one, TOTALLY believe he was BOG for us in the flag.

I wish him all the best, and in an ideal world he would make a comeback, and play in another dog's flag.
AND win the Norm Smith.
But I know that's just the crazy yabbering of a damned old fool.

Good luck out there Tom

The Pie Man
16-05-2019, 04:52 PM
I wish he hadn't done this and went on to enjoy a long, stellar career...but this does add to the enigma.

Will be saying 'how about Tom Boyd?' in 20 - 30 years.

Thanks Tom, be well.

Bulldog4life
16-05-2019, 05:01 PM
At 23, it’s not too late for him to have a break for a year or two and give it another crack either if that’s what he wants.

Thinking the same thing. It has happened before. Good luck to Tom. Get you mind right son. Tom was instrumental in us winning the 2016 flag. Will never forget his heroics.

whythelongface
16-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Thanks Tom for your contributions. You will always be remembered as a special player for the club.

Good luck post footy and look after yourself.

Bulldog4life
16-05-2019, 05:06 PM

I bet that is one of the reasons why both are not with us. Don't need that rubbish talk at our Club.

DOG GOD
16-05-2019, 05:09 PM
Wow, totally shocked at this. Tom will always be a premiership player (and should’ve been a norm smith medalist). He reached the top of the mountain and now want to live his life. I understand this.

I wish Tom all the best in his future endeavours. I hope he finds happiness in whatever comes next for him.

Thank you Tom.

bornadog
16-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Some career highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wct-9zkLndk

bornadog
16-05-2019, 05:30 PM
The high flying Tom
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdUJrvvUkAA3yVJ.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdUJrKyUkAAjVbq.jpg

bornadog
16-05-2019, 05:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8RuJMOU0AARHEO.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Db05Yj2V4AAhJke.jpg

bornadog
16-05-2019, 05:32 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CejFsphUEAEAU0Y.jpg

bornadog
16-05-2019, 05:33 PM
One of my all time favourite shots

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CtqlA5FUEAA2lU_.jpg

Dancin' Douggy
16-05-2019, 05:33 PM
He took a great mark in a preseason game too...........flying in from the side near the goals. Was a beauty

WBFC4FFC
16-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Hopefully this ain't the reason for his back issues!

ReLoad
16-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Just wow, good on you Tom, i hope one day you look back and know that you gave it your all, now concentrate on the most important person in your world, yourself.

Reminds me a lot of how Nathan Ablett left the game.

I eagerly await this years trade period, its game on like donkey kong.

ledge
16-05-2019, 05:39 PM
My friends daughter is being interviewed by Easton wood as I type ( plays for Sporswood ) and the media circus is in full swing here at Whitten Oval.
Just what Tom was trying to avoid and they still act like bees around honey.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Gutted that it has come to this. He had that much potential. One of my most treasured possessions is a photo with Tom Boyd and my son on the fence Grand Final day on the victory parade (in a frame on my son's wall). Thanks for the memories Tom.

But happy that he can possibly get to a better place. The chat he had on the podcast "Freedom in the cage" last year with Bob gives a lot of insight into how he made this decision. It's a worth a listen.

Mental health is a complex issue. I'm definitely not an expert. His talk with Bob spoke about how everything in his life had come so easy (tall, smart, good at sport, good looking, good academically, number #1 draft pick etc.). He never had to deal with any setbacks or had to show any grit to work his way through an issue. He says he was not equipped to handle the pressure and negative feedback when he took the large pay deal to move to the Dogs (the media pressure surrounding the deal was ridiculous.)

Lots of genetic factors at play too ... but that ability to learn to cope when things don't go your way or to persist when you may not be the best at something as a child appears to be such an important pillar in being able to cope as an adult.

1eyedog
16-05-2019, 06:01 PM

It's fine BAD yes I was told direct from Tristan at the Healesville FC when I played with him with the Indigenous All Stars against Eastern Health a few years ago, an exhibition match. I know his Dad really well and was invited to play. Tristan told me a fair bit about his time at the club but I'm not going to drag anything through the mud. Hi issue main issue was how he didn't get a fair crack at it because he had to decoy for Cloke. I remember him saying the coaching and support staff there were first class, and that's all that really matters.

The players mentioned above are all gone now, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

This is about Tom anyway, all the best Tom and thanks for all the fish.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Started off hearing about this moving to sadness. No winners.

Now I'm in white hot rage. I have a list for just in case I get an incurable cancer. That list is bigger.

Chalk up another win for the black hearted arseholes of the world, who openly wanted a kid to have this happen today (or sooner).

If, Tom Boyd retires
Then, he'd still have invitations to premiership reunions, having had an actual achievement in the sport

westdog54
16-05-2019, 06:12 PM
I'm feeling two overwhelming emotions.

The first is immense sadness. And not just for the fact that well never see Tom play again, nor that well never see him realise his potential.

As many on here know, I'm a Police Officer, and next month I tick over ten years since marching out of Glen Waverley.

In that ten years I've seen what happens when a person's mental health fails them.

I've seen people I love, admire and respect become shells of their former selves because of demons within. As such, the thought of a person's metal health cutting a career short hits very, very close to home.

Balancing that out, however, is the feeling of immense gratitude I'll always carry with me when I think of Tom.

Not just for his heroics on that wonderful grand final day and all the other highlights Tom gave us over the years.

I'm grateful to his family for the wonderful, humble young man he was sculpted into.

I'm grateful for the junior coaches who started him on his journey.

I'm grateful to Peter Gordon and Jason McCartney for deciding not to take Ryan Griffen's departure lying down, instead taking an insane gamble on an unproven talent.

I'm grateful for Luke Beveridge and his team of coaches for homing Tom's talent and showing the faith in him.

I'm grateful to the supporters in his life that have nursed him through what must surely have been a horrific last two years.

But most of all I'm grateful to Tom himself. For having enough faith in our club to commit as strongly to us as no 19 year old has ever done. For stoically enduring the worst our game can offer up simply to be one of us.

Grateful that, when 'The Stadium held it's breath', fate chose to side with us.

Most of all, however, I'm grateful simply that he's still here to make the decision to walk away from it all.

Thank you Tom. Thank you for everything. Go well. You'll always be one of us.

Jeanette54
16-05-2019, 06:20 PM
I was too young to remember '54, and was starting to think I would never see a Bulldog Premiership.

Thank-you Tom, for the tears of joy on Grand Final day 2016. When Moz made That tackle, and you kicked That goal you somehow made me feel that my life (as a Bulldog fan) was complete.

I am so sorry it couldn't do the same for you.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours, and all the health and happiness your young life can bring to you.

josie
16-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Someone should let the club know about these WOOF posts so Big Tom can read them. Every post is so poignant and full of admiration and support and gratitude.

All the very best to you and yours Tom. You have done so much good to share openly the challenges you’ve faced.

In my mind BOG on 011016. I have your GF photo (with Caleb giving you a hug) - hanging pride of place at home and it means even more to me now.

ledge
16-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Such a humble, quiet kid , to be honest I can’t renember him facing the press much at all.
Watching the marks, the goals of 2016 grand final day just gave me goose bumps and the hair raised on the back of my neck.
Tom you will forever be able to look back and enjoy it as you get older, show your kids your grandkids how you made The western suburbs yours forever.
Be proud of what you achieved in such a short career.
Get well mate you have a lot of love for you out this way.

AshMac
16-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Thanks for everything Tom. Forever immortal.

Probably the right move for both parties.

westbulldog
16-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Above all else Tom every Bulldogs supporter wishes you and your family the best of everything in your future. You gave us great memories of your immense talent and we admire you as a fine young man. After 62 years of our Bulldogs premiership drought you stamped yourself on a finals series the like of which has never been seen. The Moz tackle and your goal are etched forever in every supporter's mind, it is Bulldogs folklore. Go well Tom all the very best to you.

Max469
16-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Thanks Tommy. Forever a Premiership hero.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2019, 08:05 PM

He WAS THAT key forward ( and ruck! ). I remember an interview with Mark Hamill where they asked him, don't you regret not starring in any other movies? He replied " How many people get to be the lead in the most famous movie of all time? - I regret nothing!". I feel similar with Tom. We wanted a key forward and we got one. It won us a premiership. He was close to BOG in the first Bulldogs winning final for five decades. The average AFL career is 60 games.
I feel enormously grateful.

I hope he is not in a lot of pain and has interesting things to do with his life. I also hope his money is invested well.
What a legend.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2019, 08:16 PM
I think this is a day to remember what Tom gave us, and his integrity in admitting his lack of interest in the game, despite the financial rewards on offer for hanging on, are to be commended. I love this guy.

1eyedog
16-05-2019, 08:22 PM
He'll be back. Needs to sort out some crap first.

Eastdog
16-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Shocked when I first heard the news but like some on here I’m not too surprised either. I wish Tom all the best for what he does next. I am proud to say I was there at the 2016 grand final to witness his most important and best game to help us win the flag. His marking that day was unbelieveable and that goal in the last quarter and image etched in all our memories.

comrade
16-05-2019, 08:57 PM
Everyone’s favourite media stooge, Damien Barrett, has said on AFL.com.au that he believes Boyd’s deal should still be included in our salary cap and there needs to be clarification around it.

His pettiness is just sad at this point.

Twodogs
16-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Everyone’s favourite media stooge, Damien Barrett, has said on AFL.com.au that he believes Boyd’s deal should still be included in our salary cap and there needs to be clarification around it.

Take a big brown branch from a tree and stick it up your arse Purple. This is why it doesn't count in our cap, clear enough for you? Or do we need to send Bevo around to explain it to you? You are a disgrace to the footy media, amd that's a ****ing big disgrace!

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-tom-boyds-contract-doesnt-count-on-the-salary-cap-but-lance-franklins-would-in-the-same-situation/?fbclid=IwAR3nfpvSIeshaVxo-_CCO6fev3chhF2dLzOWjVMw6TNMZIFBVJiyWbMK7tI

bulldogtragic
16-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Isn't Thursday night his night to pull the legs off spiders, shoot at local animals and spray paint the head stones of dead children at his local cemetery?

Say what you like, he can multitask to add in some Boyd/dogs hate. But then again, some of the worlds biggest scum could multitask well.

merantau
16-05-2019, 09:41 PM
Thanks Tom and best wishes. You have become part of the lives of all Bulldogs supporters. You will live forever as a Bulldog great.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-05-2019, 09:52 PM
His effort in the Preliminary Final was amazing too - he had to carry the ruck for 3 quarters after Roughie’s eye injury

kruder
16-05-2019, 10:33 PM
Ill never forget that day listening to trade radio and the news coming through that Tom Boyd wants to be a Bulldog. Lets be honest we haven't had a lot of success, in that moment I felt shit maybe, just maybe the tide will turn one day. It turned more than anyone us could have imagined. Thanks Tom for being a major part of it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Ill never forget that day listening to trade radio and the news coming through that Tom Boyd wants to be a Bulldog. Lets be honest we haven't had a lot of success, in that moment I felt shit maybe, just maybe the tide will turn one day. It turned more than anyone us could have imagined. Thanks Tom for being a major part of it.

Given it was our captain walking out that precipitated it, no I was more like "$%^& we are now playing damage control and flailing, not swinging, for the fence.
I was wrong. Griff would not have lifted us to the Holy Grail, and Boyd as from today would not lift us beyond.
But Boyd did lift us to the Holy Grail, and irrespective of where this pmays out in 1 or 2 years time I will be forever grateful for Tom's pivotal contribution.

WBFC4FFC
16-05-2019, 11:19 PM
He'll be back. Needs to sort out some crap first.

Hopefully with the Bulldogs!

bornadog
16-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Having read this thread and watched some highlights of Tom, I am really sad that it ended like this. I hope he sorts things out. He is only 23 and you never know what can happen in a few years.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-05-2019, 11:36 PM
All the best Tom.

Topdog
16-05-2019, 11:50 PM
So many of you said it better than i can. You are a bullGod Tom and will always be in the hearts of many bulldog supporters.

Look after yourself Tom

Sedat
17-05-2019, 03:28 AM
I just did on Twitter. Pity I only have about 20 followers.

Grantysghost
17-05-2019, 06:44 AM

We can get some momentum going, I'll retweet.

Grantysghost
17-05-2019, 06:58 AM
I'm feeling two overwhelming emotions.

The first is immense sadness. And not just for the fact that well never see Tom play again, nor that well never see him realise his potential.

As many on here know, I'm a Police Officer, and next month I tick over ten years since marching out of Glen Waverley.

In that ten years I've seen what happens when a person's mental health fails them.

I've seen people I love, admire and respect become shells of their former selves because of demons within. As such, the thought of a person's metal health cutting a career short hits very, very close to home.

Balancing that out, however, is the feeling of immense gratitude I'll always carry with me when I think of Tom.

Not just for his heroics on that wonderful grand final day and all the other highlights Tom gave us over the years.

I'm grateful to his family for the wonderful, humble young man he was sculpted into.

I'm grateful for the junior coaches who started him on his journey.

I'm grateful to Peter Gordon and Jason McCartney for deciding not to take Ryan Griffen's departure lying down, instead taking an insane gamble on an unproven talent.

I'm grateful for Luke Beveridge and his team of coaches for homing Tom's talent and showing the faith in him.

I'm grateful to the supporters in his life that have nursed him through what must surely have been a horrific last two years.

But most of all I'm grateful to Tom himself. For having enough faith in our club to commit as strongly to us as no 19 year old has ever done. For stoically enduring the worst our game can offer up simply to be one of us.

Grateful that, when 'The Stadium held it's breath', fate chose to side with us.

Most of all, however, I'm grateful simply that he's still here to make the decision to walk away from it all.

Thank you Tom. Thank you for everything. Go well. You'll always be one of us.

I've read this about ten times, each time I do it resonates loudly. Thanks for the post WD, plenty of great posts about Tom this is the most poignant. I'm sure I'll read it again!
I echo the idea of sharing this with Tom it's where this forum really sets itself apart.

comrade
17-05-2019, 09:06 AM
Barrett has backtracked in his column today, writing that the AFL has confirmed Boyd's deal won't be included in our cap moving forward.

bornadog
17-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Interesting stat

#1 Draft Picks to win a V/AFL premiership

Drew Banfield
Des Headland
Luke Hodge
TOM BOYD

AshMac
17-05-2019, 10:03 AM
For anyone interested in the numbers, it looks like:

Original deal was $7m for 7 years
First year w us was on first-contract dollars - $150k
1.7m in 2016 and 2017
A little under in 2018
Walks away w 1.5m left on contract which means he’d have been $750 a year 2020/21

Bulldog4life
17-05-2019, 10:14 AM

I will follow you Sedat. What is your handle so I can retweet?

bornadog
17-05-2019, 10:35 AM
Some more facts on Tom.

Tom Boyd - forever closely linked to Westernbulldogs royalty

* For Bulldogs TB played 52 games & kicked 42 goals. EJ Whitten also had 42 goals after 52 games.

* Career W-L for TB (61 games) 32-29.
EJ’s W-L after 61 games = 32-29.

* 22/8/1995

State Funeral for EJ;
Birth of Tom Boyd

bornadog
17-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Matty Boyd on RSN talking about Tom. Listen here (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=373477)

comrade
17-05-2019, 10:52 AM
Bevo getting emotional about Tom at his presser here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/beveridges-boyd-break-down!730995)

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Bevo getting emotional about Tom at his presser here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/beveridges-boyd-break-down!730995)

Never been prouder of Bevo. One clip just sadness. One clip the anger. I hoped someone from the club would do the anger part.

comrade
17-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Never been prouder of Bevo. One clip just sadness. One clip the anger. I hoped someone from the club would do the anger part.

Yep, gives Barrett (without naming him) a good old smashing here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/black-soul-who-crushed-boyd!730999).

In Bevo we Trust.

comrade
17-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Let's get #BlackSoulBarrett trending on Twitter.

hujsh
17-05-2019, 11:35 AM

So much for the Bevo hates TB rumours.

chef
17-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Thats so hard to watch.

whythelongface
17-05-2019, 11:43 AM

He spoke beautifully. As he says he (Bevo) is an emotional beast. Really talking from the heart about Tom.

Funke disco
17-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Well spoken. Shots fired... no doubt the media will protect their own and possibly criticise Bevo but glad that it's been said how could you not want to play for him

Rocket Science
17-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Jeez that's powerful, affecting stuff. Nicely handled by the coach.

comrade
17-05-2019, 01:11 PM
Well spoken. Shots fired... no doubt the media will protect their own and possibly criticise Bevo but glad that it's been said how could you not want to play for him

I’d imagine there’s a fair few who share Bevo’s opinion.

Twodogs
17-05-2019, 01:28 PM
I will follow you Sedat. What is your handle so I can retweet?

Yeah, me too. PM it if you want.

I’d imagine there’s a fair few who share Bevo’s opinion.

I'd happily flush Barrett's head down the dunny to keep up the bulldog tradition.

Murphy'sLore
17-05-2019, 01:38 PM

We were all Toby McLean that day, riding on Tom's back to victory!

Rocket Science
17-05-2019, 01:48 PM

I've decided there needs to be another statue out front of the WO, EJ could use some company.

Jeanette54
17-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Could it be possible to get him removed from his AFL gig ? After all the AFL wouldn't want any suggestion of "bullying" from one of their cohorts.

bornadog
17-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Danny McGinlay asked Tom about that moment, and Tom said he didn't even realise Toby was on his back.

Bulldog4life
17-05-2019, 02:06 PM
#BlackSoulBarrett has been tweeted by me. C'mon all Woof members with twitter handles. Do the right thing by Tom.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 02:15 PM
I've decided there needs to be another statue out front of the WO, EJ could use some company.

That's actually a brilliant idea, legit. If the club asked members to add on $50-$100 at membership renewal I'd tick the box. That moment needs to be immortalised. Hopefully someone from the club is reading this.

comrade
17-05-2019, 02:17 PM
That's actually a brilliant idea, legit. If the club asked members to add on $50-$100 at membership renewal I'd tick the box. That moment needs to be immortalised. Hopefully someone from the club is reading this.

Yep, I'd pitch in.

Would be a fitting tribute to Boyd.

The bulldog tragician
17-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Yep I’ve tweeted too with #blacksoulbarrett
He should be made to feel the full weight of his petty vendetta masquerading as journalism
Make it happen people!

The Pie Man
17-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Danny McGinlay said he spoke to Boyd about that moment and Tom revealled he had no idea Toby was even there!

:D

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Yep I’ve tweeted too with #blacksoulbarrett
He should be made to feel the full weight of his petty vendetta masquerading as journalism
Make it happen people!

There's about a dozen blacksoulbarrett tweets in the last 1/2 hour.

comrade
17-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Awesome!

Scraggers
17-05-2019, 03:09 PM

I just re-tweeted as many as I could find :cool:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-05-2019, 03:09 PM
I just re-tweeted as many as I could find :cool:

I've done a couple as well

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 03:14 PM
12 tweets
23 re-tweets
79 likes

If a few more hit this soon on Twitter, we could almost get it to trend. Is anyone a BF poster and get our comrades over there to help the cause.

G-Mo77
17-05-2019, 03:25 PM

I'm going to be the killjoy on this, two wrongs don't make a right. Rather than thinking of ways to fit the hashtag into a response why not spend the time to write to the AFL and voice your displeasure about their head "journalist" Last year I emailed them with my cancellation notice of my AFL digital subscription and the reason why I cancelled which was Barrett. It'd be great if so many more did the same.

comrade
17-05-2019, 03:28 PM
I'm going to be the killjoy on this, two wrongs don't make a right. Rather than thinking of ways to fit the hashtag into a response why not spend the time to write to the AFL and voice your displeasure about their head "journalist" Last year I emailed them with my cancellation notice of my AFL digital subscription and the reason why I cancelled which was Barrett. It'd be great if so many more did the same.

Why not do both?

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 03:38 PM

It's now a thing. If you put in the beginning of the hashtag, it's picking up and recognising it now. Getting a lot of support for something less than an hour old.

Bulldog4life
17-05-2019, 03:42 PM
12 tweets
23 re-tweets
79 likes

If a few more hit this soon on Twitter, we could almost get it to trend. Is anyone a BF poster and get our comrades over there to help the cause.

I tweeted it and BigFootyBulldogs retweeted it and followed me. Is working.

merantau
17-05-2019, 04:06 PM
Just tweeted

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Yep. In about 60-90 minutes:

More than double the tweets since last posted
50+ retweets
150+ likes

Leaving a permanent reminder on Twitter about him and his conduct.

bornadog
17-05-2019, 04:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iDCfM7kFKQ

Rocket Science
17-05-2019, 04:56 PM
https://i.ibb.co/tZTzp1q/EJ-FIXED.jpg (https://ibb.co/YDFXBVc)

---------

https://i.ibb.co/7Q73hDR/Boyd-Statue.jpg (https://ibb.co/W0SrCXP)

bulldogtragic
17-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Let's get it built already.

bornadog
17-05-2019, 05:09 PM
https://i.ibb.co/tZTzp1q/EJ-FIXED.jpg (https://ibb.co/YDFXBVc)

---------

https://i.ibb.co/7Q73hDR/Boyd-Statue.jpg (https://ibb.co/W0SrCXP)

Brilliant

Axe Man
17-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Just be sure to leave room for 5 more statues for the flags we are going to win over the next 10 years. ;)

westdog54
17-05-2019, 06:12 PM

I don't think I've EVER heard Luke with that tone of voice in public before.

Openly choking back tears and needing a moment to compose himself, that was as raw as it gets in professional sport and, as others have said, was extremely hard to watch.

Flamethrower
17-05-2019, 06:30 PM
We need one for Bevo, the messiah, too.

Rocket Science
17-05-2019, 06:51 PM
We need one for Bevo, the messiah, too.

https://i.ibb.co/p4480rf/statue.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Except Stringer and Dahlhaus ...

Dancin' Douggy
17-05-2019, 08:39 PM
Oh that is clever and awesome

Ghost Dog
17-05-2019, 08:44 PM
“That will never be forgiven by anyone at our football club. That’s a choice that a certain journalist made and it’s a window into that person’s soul and how black that soul is.”
It's death by a thousand cuts for Bevo from this bloke. The constant snide innuendo. Luke Hodge said it best of this person.
Hey that meme of the re-forged Ted Whitten statue made my afternoon. Well done to whoever did that. Classic!

AndrewP6
17-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Could it be possible to get him removed from his AFL gig ? After all the AFL wouldn't want any suggestion of "bullying" from one of their cohorts.

They have enabled him for this long, no chance they'll get rid of him now.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2019, 01:18 AM
I have to be 100% honest, not sure Bevo was in the right frame of mind to give the presser. I liked the spirit of what he said but not the way it was delivered. Am I being too tough?
1. Depression is not the only reason Tom has to leave us. We are not sure about that. Maybe his back is the real reason at this point.
2. What are we trying to teach ourselves? Footy is a passionate game. Get that. But I don't give much to what Barret says as others have said on other threads, just forget the guy. Robbo is the same. Have not read or discussed much from him in years. Simply doesn't have much to say. We need to teach ourselves to be totally oblivious to Damien. I think Bevo has made people more aware of it.
It's painful to watch people suffer, and annoying to have the peanut gallery add insult to that, but we are better than him. Now we just stoked the coals again. There will always be Damien Barret's. But, at least we know that Bevo has a heart. Can't see Ross Lyon giving a speech like that.

boydogs
18-05-2019, 08:29 AM
The players mentioned above are all gone now, so it doesn't really matter anymore

I remember hearing Libba was involved as well as Dahlhaus & Stringer, which may be part of why we were slow to sign him for just a 1 year deal

Daughter of the West
18-05-2019, 10:12 AM
I do hope Tom gets to read all of these, some beautiful sentiments. I'm a little late to the party but...

Thank you Tom, from the bottom of our collective Bulldog hearts. Your 2016 piggyback will always be an iconic image in the minds of the Red, White and Blue.

The AFL is a poorer place for someone of your calibre walking away, but well done for recognising that it is the best path for you. All the best in your future endeavours, go well BullGod.

Daughter of the West
18-05-2019, 10:22 AM
2. What are we trying to teach ourselves? Footy is a passionate game. Get that. But I don't give much to what Barret says as others have said on other threads, just forget the guy. Robbo is the same. Have not read or discussed much from him in years. Simply doesn't have much to say. We need to teach ourselves to be totally oblivious to Damien. I think Bevo has made people more aware of it.

I understand where you're coming from - don't give the trolls oxygen argument, which I think is totally valid.

But at the same time, I think it can be important to call out when someone is such a despicable human rather than let them throw vitriol out there with no consequences.

I don't know what the right answer is though.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Is going huge. Just checked the #blacksoulbarrett hashtag and tweets and it's now a 'thing'. People clearly want to make a point to the black soul, call out his hypocrisy and call out his employers. It's nice to know there's a lot of people out there backing up Bevo & Tom.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2019, 11:48 AM
I understand where you're coming from - don't give the trolls oxygen argument, which I think is totally valid.

But at the same time, I think it can be important to call out when someone is such a despicable human rather than let them throw vitriol out there with no consequences.

I don't know what the right answer is though.

See your points DOTW. Agree. But it's a pity Luke is the one that has to do it.

Blame the AFL. If they want very young men to succeed in this sport, then they need their sanctioned journalists to be a bit circumspect in the media when it comes to placing emphasis on their contract. And lift the bar on the standards. They may not be able to control the HUN journos or others. But repeated, snide, sideswipes about player's contract value under an AFL banner is hypocrisy.

It's complete hypocrisy also regards mental health. Afl says, Let's all be open about 'the black dog' and laud people like Buddy and Tom when they discuss and open up. But on the other hand AFL says let's sanction our journalists to go after them regards their contract worth not once ( ok, fine ) but continually. The AFL should have stepped in long ago to control GrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrubGrub and ask him not to continually go that line, again and again. They may not be able to control the HUN journos but get your house in order. Get decent journalists.

If Luke Hodge didn't teach DB something ( knob comments ), he cannot be taught. Remove him.

westdog54
20-05-2019, 07:26 PM
https://www.playersvoice.com.au/tom-boyd-barely-slept-for-six-weeks/#MVv3YHocqWwkm5qA.97

BornInDroopSt'54
21-05-2019, 08:12 PM
Tom Browne reporting we are into Tomlinson with the spare cash. Would suit our needs.

Vred
23-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Really sad to see Boyd retire so early. I was hoping to one day see a Naughton / Boyd / Sache forward line.

Axe Man
07-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Tom Boyd could return to football at his junior club Norwood (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/tom-boyd-could-return-to-football-at-his-junior-club-norwood/news-story/cef75baf7c86bc9dfca93ca0fc2aa1e1?fbclid=IwAR1V9KdCz3mWFC0J69 7ybpliU4NUUM2_o5FZY2wOccEKOfZMNUtyWvCJTc0)

Recently retired Western Bulldogs forward Tom Boyd could make a football return with his junior club Norwood this year.

The 2016 premiership player walked away from the AFL last month citing the mental and physical toll the game had taken on him.

Norwood president Mark Etherington confirmed it had spoken to Boyd, 23, about getting back involved at the club.

“We’ve had communication with Tom regarding his re-engagement with us … as he embarks on the next chapter post-AFL,” Etherington said.

If Boyd played for Norwood he would return to the Eastern Football League club as a one-point player.

However, the June 30 clearance deadline is fast-approaching and any decision on playing local football this year would need to be made by the end of the month.

He is a keen follower of the Premier Division outfit and his family is involved with the Ringwood-based club.

Boyd’s potential addition would be a fillip for the Norsemen’s attack in tandem with star forward Leigh Williams and would boost their chances of making a return to finals.

Etherington said it was important that the club “openly communicate our invitation to him”.

“We see the ongoing benefits for Tom with any potential involvement at Norwood to be an additional support, resource to that which exists at the Western Bulldogs.

“It was more, here’s an opportunity, whether it is now, next month, next year or anytime into the future, we have always been there readily available to support past and present players.

“We’ve always prided ourselves on being a strong family club and we always want to make sure we’re there to encourage all members to continue their involvement with us.

“If that means he comes down and helps out with some training with some of our rucks, or whether it is some tuition work one-on-one, or whether it ends up being that he plays one day, whatever it ends up being, Norwood Football Club is his home junior club and naturally we would be thrilled if he was to elect obviously considering doing that.”

Boyd was taken as the No.1 pick in the 2013 draft by GWS before being traded to the Western Bulldogs, where he was a key member of the side that ended the club’s 62-year premiership drought three seasons ago.

When he announced his retirement he said he no longer had “the desire to play or the enjoyment of the game I used to have” at the elite level.

Norwood sits sixth with a 4-4 record and has not played finals since the 2015 decider.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Do whatever makes you happier Tom. If you just want to play for the love of the game, it sounds good.

Grantysghost
07-06-2019, 01:23 PM
His dad is involved at the club too so this would be good for him. Although local footy can be brutal.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2019, 01:38 PM
His dad is involved at the club too so this would be good for him. Although local footy can be brutal.

Yep. You can hear every word on field and just about every word in the crowd. Then there's blokes you just want to KO ex league players. I thought he was going to travel and get out of the country and media BS for the year.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Yeah - not sure it would be a wise move for him.

1eyedog
07-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Needs to be his choice not his Dad's or his old club.

Twodogs
08-06-2019, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't be going back if I were Tom. He would be better off moving forward with his life, not finding himself comfort zones that he's happy in. That's how people like us get into strife.

Take some time out Tom. Then decide what the next chapter of your life should entail.

AndrewP6
09-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Tom today announced (via Instagram) his engagement. Best wishes to them both.

Twodogs
09-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Good for them. I hope it works out well.

bornadog
09-06-2019, 06:59 PM

Pretty young. Good luck to him

Bulldog4life
09-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Tom and BT?...only joshing. Good luck to Tom and his bride to be.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2019, 07:46 PM

But I told him I loved him. Like. Really.

AndrewP6
09-06-2019, 07:46 PM

:D I think her name is Anna.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Boyd comeback: Retired Dogs hero given all-clear to play local footy (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-13/boyd-comeback-retired-dogs-hero-given-allclear-to-play-local-footy)

TOM Boyd has been given the all-clear to play suburban football with mates at Norwood in the Eastern Football League.

The 2016 Western Bulldogs premiership hero retired from the AFL last month, due to mental health and problems with his back.

This week he officially requested the AFL to rescind his registration with the Bulldogs, and it is believed the AFL has granted that wish, freeing him to apply for registration in the EFL, the No.1 Victorian metropolitan league.

Even before his retirement from the Bulldogs, Boyd, 23, was in the Norwood rooms after a recent win, celebrating with his mates at the club.

While he could receive a hastened clearance to play for Norwood as early as this weekend, he may choose to have a few training sessions with the club before resuming playing.

Norwood, coached by AFL player agent Marty Pask, is sitting in the top five after eight rounds.

1eyedog
13-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Good on him.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2019, 09:07 PM
Hope you find footy fun again Tom.

Doc26
13-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Whilst I do wish Tom the best, and genuinely feel for him with the demons that he’s struggling with, I’m also having a hard time right now reconciling Tom’s announcement to play locally at Norwood with my own emotions following his amicable departure from the Club. That is, I know that the right answer is to wish the best for him in his new journey but I’m also conflicted by the loss that we’re dealing with given our emotional investment in Tom to be that big key target that we’ve been crying out for. On the other hand Tom was such a significant factor for us in those 2 days in late September 2016 that I should just simply be thankful and move on.

No doubt these feelings are compounded by our current form line, our seemingly lack of quality assistant coaches, the departures of much loved players in Roughy, Picko and Clay, and once much loved players in Dahl and Stringer, and Adams not coming good for us and now hearing tonight that Lin is needing to take a break from the game due to his own mental illness.

It’s been a tough season thus far for so many and can understand why some of the lads might also be feeling a bit flat.

westdog54
13-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Pretty young. Good luck to him

Pfft, I was engaged by 20 and married at 22. Still going 14 years later.

Couldn't be happier for the man. Both on and off field.

The bulldog tragician
14-06-2019, 06:49 PM
Whilst I do wish Tom the best, and genuinely feel for him with the demons that he’s struggling with, I’m also having a hard time right now reconciling Tom’s announcement to play locally at Norwood with my own emotions following his amicable departure from the Club. That is, I know that the right answer is to wish the best for him in his new journey but I’m also conflicted by the loss that we’re dealing with given our emotional investment in Tom to be that big key target that we’ve been crying out for. On the other hand Tom was such a significant factor for us in those 2 days in late September 2016 that I should just simply be thankful and move on.

No doubt these feelings are compounded by our current form line, our seemingly lack of quality assistant coaches, the departures of much loved players in Roughy, Picko and Clay, and once much loved players in Dahl and Stringer, and Adams not coming good for us and now hearing tonight that Lin is needing to take a break from the game due to his own mental illness.

It’s been a tough season thus far for so many and can understand why some of the lads might also be feeling a bit flat.

I’m with you. We invest a lot emotionally in the players. I feel sad that Tom might enjoy local footy more than the apparent kudos of the big time. I have wondered if given how young he is, we could have somehow negotiated for him to take a full 12 months off, and see how he felt then, but I guess things just got too far.

Bulldog4life
15-06-2019, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tom played AFL again. With no big contract on his head he would find it more palatable.

Rocket Science
21-06-2019, 01:53 PM
https://i.ibb.co/z72Krtk/Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-12-51-54-PM.png (https://ibb.co/NmNwsG4)

Eastdog
21-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Fantastic mural. Yeah that was just a fantastic image on our way to our premiership win. I wish Tom well.

Twodogs
21-06-2019, 01:59 PM
https://i.ibb.co/z72Krtk/Screen-Shot-2019-06-21-at-12-51-54-PM.png (https://ibb.co/NmNwsG4)

That's just outside Sims in Warleigh rd in West Footscray, just down from the footy ground. It should be on a statue next to Teddy out in the car park of Whitten oval. It would look wrong where Doug's statue and Teddy's other statue are outside the Braybrook because neither Madge nor Tom are from Brayrook like Ej and the Hawk were.

Eastdog
21-06-2019, 02:05 PM
That's just outside Sims in Warleigh rd in West Footscray, just down from the footy ground. It should be on a statue next to Teddy out in the car park of Whitten oval. It would look wrong where Doug's statue and Teddy's other statue are outside the Braybrook because neither Madge nor Tom are from Brayrook like Ej and the Hawk were.

Some sort of statue outside of the Whitten Oval linked to the 2016 preimership would be cool but not fussed as I quite like the lone statue of Ted there.

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Needs BT's quote added to it.

Jeanette54
21-06-2019, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tom played AFL again. With no big contract on his head he would find it more palatable.

I am probably not the only one who would be immensely disappointed to see Tom wandering around an AFL oval in someone else's colours. If that happens, God, please don't let it be Essendon.

Twodogs
21-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Needs BT's quote added to it.

It's the western suburbs. BT's quote from that particular passage gets trotted out a lot by the locals.

*!*!*!*! me, its a statue of *!*!*!*!ing EJ!

Where's *!*!*!*!ing Dougy?

Down at the *!*!*!*!ing Braybrook hotel of course! *!*!*!*! me sideways, where the *!*!*!*! else would you expect him to be?

Twodogs
21-06-2019, 02:13 PM
I am probably not the only one who would be immensely disappointed to see Tom wandering around an AFL oval in someone else's colours. If that happens, God, please don't let it be Essendon.

I agree, that would be a step too far. But you just know it's going to happen don't you?

Jeanette54
21-06-2019, 02:15 PM
I agree, that would be a step too far. But you just know it's going to happen don't you?

Sure do TD.

Eastdog
21-06-2019, 02:17 PM

I would not enjoy that if that happened.

Doc26
17-09-2019, 09:21 AM
For those with Foxtel access, Tom is Mike Sheahan’s guest tonight on Open Mike.

kruder
17-09-2019, 10:43 PM
Tom always speaks so bloody well for a young guy.

Very positive about the dogs in general, I hope he finds what he is searching for.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2019, 11:14 PM
Tom always speaks so bloody well for a young guy.

Very positive about the dogs in general, I hope he finds what he is searching for.

Didn’t say he’s coming back to us?

Doc26
17-09-2019, 11:25 PM
Didn’t say he’s coming back to us?

Not at all. Sounded like he’s done with the AFL. Just not
his thing i.e no enjoyment with it.

He’s at Uni studying business and is enjoying the quieter, less
invasive life. He was very complimentary when it came to Bevo and the playing group.

He confirmed that he had only received half his 2019 payment, and walked away from the rest, believing that he hadn’t earnt anymore.

bornadog
17-09-2019, 11:58 PM
Tom Boyd says end of AFL career was due to much more than mental health struggles (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-17/tom-boyd-speaks-of-mental-health-struggles/11522120)

strebla
18-09-2019, 01:05 AM
Only just watched it such an impressive young man. I still believe we done the right thing in recruiting him and so proud he has a love for our club.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-09-2019, 11:53 AM
This was a great interview with Tom Boyd by Mike Sheahan and highlighted Tom’s sincerity in coming to the decision of cutting short his contract by a couple of years to build a better life for himself rather than the huge demands now required of AFL players. We will always remember the great impact he made to secure our 2016 Premiership. I would encourage any of our WOOF contributors to watch a replay of the program should you have missed it last night.

Axe Man
18-09-2019, 11:57 AM
Entire Open Mike episodes here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/open-mike/full-show) for those without Foxtel.

jeemak
18-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Yes, that was excellent viewing. Tom's clearly an articulate lad who had a huge amount going for him, but identified he wasn't happy and showed he had an enormous amount of strength to admit to it and address it.

If any of his detractors who watched this and afterwards still remained the same in the way they felt towards him would be completely missing the point.

bornadog
18-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Does anyone feel Tom was pushed into football by his old man? Seems he never wanted to play even as a junior.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Does anyone feel Tom was pushed into football by his old man? Seems he never wanted to play even as a junior.
I would doubt it. His Father is from South Africa and Mother has a Danish background. Tom attended Luther College in Croydon where two of our grand daughters attended. He was a number one draft pick like a number of similar tall number one picks by other Clubs in recent years. Boyd was a stand out at junior level and highly sought after by AFL clubs. My understanding is that his choice of Club if he had have fulfilled the final two years of his Contract at GWS, if we hadn’t lured him to the WB, would have been Carlton.

The Adelaide Connection
18-09-2019, 03:05 PM
I would doubt it. His Father is from South Africa and Mother has a Danish background. Tom attended Luther College in Croydon where two of our grand daughters attended. He was a number one draft pick like a number of similar tall number one picks by other Clubs in recent years. Boyd was a stand out at junior level and highly sought after by AFL clubs. My understanding is that his choice of Club if he had have fulfilled the final two years of his Contract at GWS, if we hadn’t lured him to the WB, would have been Carlton.

So he would have retired with a couple of spoons, rather than holding up a cup and getting a medal. Lucky.

bornadog
18-09-2019, 03:39 PM

If you listen to the interview, he was not keen to play football.

Axe Man
18-09-2019, 04:19 PM

I don't think he said that at all. He wanted to play AFL footy, thought it would be a good job but wasn't obsessed with it like most kids would be in his position.

In the end he found the realities of being an AFL footballer and the pressures involved were not something he enjoyed or coped with particularly well and made the decision he would be far happier not playing at the highest level. Still enjoys playing footy with his mates in a suburban league.

Twodogs
18-09-2019, 05:29 PM
I was pleased to hear that he had no regrets about retiring from AFL early and I hope he is enjoying playing footy at whatever level he plays at.

Twodogs
18-09-2019, 05:31 PM

It's like we were talking about the other day with players who obviously don't enjoy all the trappings of the sport they happen to be good at like Nick Kyrios.

bornadog
18-09-2019, 05:54 PM
It's like we were talking about the other day with players who obviously don't enjoy all the trappings of the sport they happen to be good at like Nick Kyrios.

Yeah, I agree, I hope he finds happiness in what he does in the future.

I will never ever forget him in the Prelim and Grand final.

Twodogs
18-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I agree, I hope he finds happiness in what he does in the future.

I will never ever forget him in the Prelim and Grand final.

He seems a fairly emotionally intelligent and well adjusted kid. Not many mid 20 year olds would even think of walking away from the pot of money he was assured of but not only did he work out that the money wasn't helping but that he should forego it and it might make a positive difference to his life. I'm more impressed that he did that than I am with anything that he did on the field.

Pickenitup
23-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Tom has written a great article of that Famous week in 2016 in the Grand Final Footy Record

Hotdog60
30-09-2019, 10:23 PM
Just watched his interview with Bob, interesting comparing the Dogs with GWS.

jeemak
01-10-2019, 12:09 AM
Just watched his interview with Bob, interesting comparing the Dogs with GWS.

In what way did he do so for those of us who may not be able to get across it for a bit?

Hotdog60
01-10-2019, 06:59 AM
In what way did he do so for those of us who may not be able to get across it for a bit?

It was more about a team full of stars and each one trying to climb to the top of the pile and that it was a competitive place to be in and in Toms case not very friendly.
Enter to the Dogs and it's like a family and everyone getting on with each other and there being more emotion around the place.
Something that comes with history and having to fight for your very existence.
Maybe he was just saying the right things because it was Bob and Bulldog media were running the show.

Also it seemed like the Dogs were into him early and that when Griffen said he wanted out that was the catalyst.

bornadog
01-10-2019, 09:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEuKRnieJMk

SquirrelGrip
04-10-2020, 04:42 PM
Tom Boyd’s legacy could be the greatest of all our premiership players. An impressive post by an impressive man.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF5hdv4F-1Q/?igshid=1ghq0exz2wyhx

Eastdog
04-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Tom Boyd’s legacy could be the greatest of all our premiership players. An impressive post by an impressive man.

Great post. What a great guy Tom is. Forever a Bulldog premiership hero!

GVGjr
04-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Impressive bloke

G-Mo77
04-10-2020, 05:33 PM

I do agree with him. So many clowns on social media wanting to @ players etc with there frustration is just ordinary at best. That being said, I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes.... if a player is worried about what peanuts are saying on social media I'm not sure they're the right player to take us to the next level.

SonofScray
04-10-2020, 05:40 PM
I do agree with him. So many clowns on social media wanting to @ players etc with there frustration is just ordinary at best. That being said, I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes.... if a player is worried about what peanuts are saying on social media I'm not sure they're the right player to take us to the next level.
Agree. It's very hard when you get the huge volume of attention, but it's not going away any time soon. Control the things you can and get better at letting go of the stuff you can't.

Direct threats and abuse etc are no good. Don't do that.

anfo27
04-10-2020, 08:00 PM

I just think we are a different generation though. I'm in my early 40s so never grew up with it & i've never been on facebook, twitter or instagram. I don't get the attraction of letting everyone know everything that i do or think. I agree with your sentiment here but its just not that easy. I think these kids coming through these days already lack resilience & there in lies the problem.

G-Mo77
04-10-2020, 08:42 PM
I just think we are a different generation though. I'm in my early 40s so never grew up with it & i've never been on facebook, twitter or instagram. I don't get the attraction of letting everyone know everything that i do or think. I agree with your sentiment here but its just not that easy. I think these kids coming through these days already lack resilience & there in lies the problem.

I'd be interested to know how other clubs deal with it. I live in my own Bulldog bubble so rarely read a note about how other clubs handle things. I see the racism ones get called out and the death threats earlier in the season but don't see other teams calling out people on social media for potting players? I can't imagine it's any worse than other clubs and due to our lower supporter base I'm sure it is not as frequent.

I follow the NBA as well and man, if they got the abuse AFL footballers did their social media lives would be a breeze.

hujsh
04-10-2020, 10:13 PM

Hopefully that's just terrible phasing.

'Kids these days' aren't worse than in your day they've just grown up in different circumstances. Things like anxiety are more common which is probably related to the feedback look of social media and the constant judgement/pressure it puts on people mentally especially when young.

Being off it is probably the correct response though you're right there.

anfo27
04-10-2020, 11:04 PM

'Kids these days' aren't worse than in your day they've just grown up in different circumstances. Things like anxiety are more common which is probably related to the feedback look of social media and the constant judgement/pressure it puts on people mentally especially when young.

I do think they have a tougher hand than i did growing up. Yeah its different but every generation is different. The consequences of 'smart' technology has had a very real negative effect on kids. You only need to look at the rates of mental health in our youth to understand there are real issues here. We're talking primary school age kids here too.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe it was the Lions who talked about using the resilience project this year & have raved about it. My wife came home maybe 5 years ago talking about a guy from the resilience project doing a 1 hour talk at a nursing seminar & what an amazing talk it was. A few of things she said really resonated with me, so i looked them up. Watched a couple of 10 minute talks & was impressed enough to buy a ticket & spend a few hours listening to what he had to say. I was blown away with what he presented that night & some of the statistics he provided about mental health in our youth were staggering.

For anyone with mental health issues or even if you don't, it can be a game changer. I don't have mental heath issues but i know plenty of friends & work colleagues that do & i got an enormous amount out of it. Even a great thing to do if you have kids.

comrade
05-10-2020, 08:42 AM

anfo didn't say that young people are worse, just that they lack resilience to handle the outcomes of the technology that is foistered on them from an early age...which I have to agree with (as the father of a young son).

The Pie Man
05-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Geez, a fit and motovated Tom Boyd would help Tim English a bit next season no?

Ozza
05-10-2020, 11:58 AM
Geez, a fit and motovated Tom Boyd would help Tim English a bit next season no?

Pass.

You do remember that he wasn't much good!?!

The Pie Man
05-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Pass.

You do remember that he wasn't much good!?!

Well, most of the time, yeah....

hujsh
05-10-2020, 01:42 PM
anfo didn't say that young people are worse, just that they lack resilience to handle the outcomes of the technology that is foistered on them from an early age...which I have to agree with (as the father of a young son).

Yeah I took that from his next response.

AshMac
06-10-2020, 08:34 AM

I deleted Facebook a year ago because a. I kept seeing pictures of people I don’t know and b. I was becoming furious with the dickheads on the bulldogs FB pages - literally angry. Honestly haven’t missed it for one second!

azabob
06-10-2020, 08:58 AM
I deleted Facebook a year ago because a. I kept seeing pictures of people I don’t know and b. I was becoming furious with the dickheads on the bulldogs FB pages - literally angry. Honestly haven’t missed it for one second!

So do you come here now and get furious with dickheads here?;)

Twodogs
06-10-2020, 12:02 PM

Me too. I didn't delete it, I still use messenger and click on stuff people I know IRL post but I don't bother with anything strangers say.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 12:10 PM

There are a lot of unnecessary digs at the club which are tiresome. Not sure if they are meant to be funny.

I know one poster who contacted me saying he won't be back.

Axe Man
06-10-2020, 02:54 PM

I avoid reading comments on footy posts (well most public posts really) on FB for the same reason. Every club is the same.

EasternWest
06-10-2020, 09:02 PM
I know one poster who contacted me saying he won't be back.

Yeah but nobody misses Chops.

bornadog
06-10-2020, 09:04 PM
Yeah but nobody misses Chops.

Chops is a mate, but I wasn't talking about him. This is only in the last few weeks

EasternWest
06-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Chops is a mate,

Well we all have our cross to bear.

AshMac
09-10-2020, 08:11 AM

Haha! Honestly, other way round.

AshMac
09-10-2020, 08:13 AM
I avoid reading comments on footy posts (well most public posts really) on FB for the same reason. Every club is the same.

Yeh that is so true. One thing I did notice which surprised me, when we drafted Trengove, I joined the Port Adelaide FB fan group and I’ve got to say to see what they said about him - I’ve never seen a classier conversation on FB than the way they spoke about him on his way out.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Yeh that is so true. One thing I did notice which surprised me, when we drafted Trengove, I joined the Port Adelaide FB fan group and I’ve got to say to see what they said about him - I’ve never seen a classier conversation on FB than the way they spoke about him on his way out.

That’s because they were happy to see him move on. If he was in his prime it probably would have been a different story.

SonofScray
09-10-2020, 07:14 PM

We were the same with D Cross.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2021, 04:51 PM
I was flicking through some old articles and came along this well known fact:

“ The Western Bulldogs honoured Tom Boyd with life membership, the club revealed the 2016 premiership hero handed back $2 million when he walked away from the game earlier this year.”

Thinking about that we needed two things to happen to secure Treloar (salary wise), AT had $4.5M owed:

- $1.5M from Collingwood ($3M owing)
- $2M from Tom Boyd ($1M owing, or $200,000 per season)

I get the money isn’t in a straight line, that said it’s a huge wildcard at the time that allowed for an audacious trade for AT. The cash was a gift. The ability to sign all we wanted, recruit well AND get another top liner in our window is the legacy (beyond 2016). After it was announced I don’t think I’ve thought about it once, but what they club has been able to do with that cash (especially during COVID) is great and I’m sure Tom can appreciate that we have reinvested it very well.

comrade
15-04-2021, 04:58 PM

“ The Western Bulldogs honoured Tom Boyd with life membership, the club revealed the 2016 premiership hero handed back $2 million when he walked away from the game earlier this year.”

Thinking about that we needed two things to happen to secure Treloar (salary wise), AT had $4.5M owed:

I get the money isn’t in a straight line, that said it’s a huge wildcard at the time that allowed for an audacious trade for AT. The cash was a gift. The ability to sign all we wanted, recruit well AND get another top liner in our window is the legacy (beyond 2016). After it was announced I don’t think I’ve thought about it once, but what they club has been able to do with that cash (especially during COVID) is great and I’m sure Tom can appreciate that we have reinvested it very well.

He did the club such a solid by retiring with so much grace.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2021, 05:10 PM
He did the club such a solid by retiring with so much grace.

The club can nominate him to handover our next premiership cup. Fair trade.

comrade
15-04-2021, 05:19 PM

Would be very cool.

EasternWest
15-04-2021, 05:57 PM

Tom Boyd is a thoroughly decent human.

You should know, you recruited him.

Bulldog Joe
15-04-2021, 06:30 PM

He was highly responsible for the last one and has really done very well with the dignity of his departure.

Absolutely an ideal choice for the handover, but I suspect there will be a few other legends of the club who can do the next few.

Put Tom down to present one in another 20 odd years, after we have had become accustomed to receiving them.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2021, 07:22 PM
Tom Boyd is a thoroughly decent human.

You should know, you recruited him.

True. True.

But like when you cash as a present as a kid, you never knew what the present was until you bought it yourself. Tom’s salary allowed for both Bruce & Keath. But we spent the $2M now on Treloar. So we now know the real present is AT.

Pretty amazing to think Tom’s decision to forego years of salary contracted and perhaps extended but on less, helps secure Bruce & Keath, and Tom’s pay back allows the acquisition of Treloar. Just an amazing change by one decision by one player to retire. And we still have a Pick 1 KPF on the list in any event.

Thinking of Tom himself, thank god he realised that AFL footy wasn’t making him happy. 2020 with pay disputes and hubs away from family would’ve been a living nightmare. So rare an event in life when everyone walks away genuinely happy.

1eyedog
15-04-2021, 09:31 PM
So much love for Tom Boyd but surely Dougie gets an opportunity first?

jeemak
16-04-2021, 04:47 AM
True. True.

But like when you cash as a present as a kid, you never knew what the present was until you bought it yourself. Tom’s salary allowed for both Bruce & Keath. But we spent the $2M now on Treloar. So we now know the real present is AT.

Pretty amazing to think Tom’s decision to forego years of salary contracted and perhaps extended but on less, helps secure Bruce & Keath, and Tom’s pay back allows the acquisition of Treloar. Just an amazing change by one decision by one player to retire. And we still have a Pick 1 KPF on the list in any event.

Thinking of Tom himself, thank god he realised that AFL footy wasn’t making him happy. 2020 with pay disputes and hubs away from family would’ve been a living nightmare. So rare an event in life when everyone walks away genuinely happy.

Humble as ever I see. :)

jeemak
16-04-2021, 04:54 AM
It's irrational but there's something in the back of my mind/ thinking that believes Tom isn't lost to Australian Rules Football. He's 25 now, has his life ahead of him and as much as leaving the game when he did was right at the time for some reason it didn't feel final to me.

Most likely I'm wrong, but there's just something there (and maybe it's just me).

Topdog
16-04-2021, 08:17 AM
He looks happy to be out of the game so i don't see it but things can certainly change quickly.

The Doctor
16-04-2021, 10:39 AM
It's irrational but there's something in the back of my mind/ thinking that believes Tom isn't lost to Australian Rules Football. He's 25 now, has his life ahead of him and as much as leaving the game when he did was right at the time for some reason it didn't feel final to me.

Most likely I'm wrong, but there's just something there (and maybe it's just me).

Have been thinking the same.

I wonder!

Wonder if the club is.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2021, 11:12 AM
Interesting, as Tom would be an SSP selection and guaranteed to come back free of drafts, except his salary which you’d think he would want headlines about the size. Tom rucking 65/35 forward to Tim 35/65 forward is fun to think about. Probably the best cheap ruckman after Martin retires.

But he seems happier these days and probably doesn’t miss the back injuries either. 2.5 years is a long time out of the game. Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder how long it takes to get full fitness for AFL, plus touch back and brought up to speed on tactics and the way the game is played now.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Interesting, as Tom would be an SSP selection and guaranteed to come back free of drafts, except his salary which you’d think he would want headlines about the size. Tom rucking 65/35 forward to Tim 35/65 forward is fun to think about. Probably the best cheap ruckman after Martin retires.

But he seems happier these days and probably doesn’t miss the back injuries either. 2.5 years is a long time out of the game. Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder how long it takes to get full fitness for AFL, plus touch back and brought up to speed on tactics and the way the game is played now.

I don't think he's any chance of coming back. I remember his interview on the Barkly St Podcast some time ago, and it really seemed to me from his responses that he had a realisation that the life of an AFL footballer with all of its controls upon all aspects of your life it entails, was just incongruent with how he wanted to live.

bornadog
16-04-2021, 11:31 AM
I don't think he's any chance of coming back. I remember his interview on the Barkly St Podcast some time ago, and it really seemed to me from his responses that he had a realisation that the life of an AFL footballer with all of its controls upon all aspects of your life it entails, was just incongruent with how he wanted to live.

He is keeping pretty busy

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tom-boyd-5388b9123/

Rocket Science
16-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Ahhh the pangs of unfulfilled promise ... not withstanding being BOG in a flag winning side of course.

Axe Man
16-04-2021, 01:03 PM
Tom kicked 4 goals in his first game for St Kevin's on the Weekend. Never say never....

soupman
16-04-2021, 01:51 PM
Just to offer a counter opinion i wouldn't want him back.

Aside from a few good/very good games didn't think he was very good. As a key forward he was poor, and as a ruck he was fine, just like Mason Cox or Jordan Roughead or Jon Ceglar is fine.

A bit like Dahlhaus leaving while it was sad to part ways and I did rate him in some areas I also don't miss him and in some ways I am relieved we don't have him anymore.

This is in no way meant to diminish his contribution to 2016.

GVGjr
16-04-2021, 03:24 PM

I recently talked to a lady who knows Tom very well and she believes there is a zero percent chance he will play footy at the AFL level again. She was fascinating to talk to and knew about all the struggles he faced.

merantau
16-04-2021, 07:05 PM
Tom Boyd is a Bulldog Immortal. I hope to meet him one day and thank him personally for his efforts. I waited from 1956 to see us win the Premiership. That's a long time. There are many things we want in life and a lot of them are within our control. But winning a flag is something that only others could do for me. It was their gift to me and I indebted to them. That's how much that month and that Flag meant to me.

EasternWest
16-04-2021, 07:27 PM
Ahhh the pangs of unfulfilled promise ... not withstanding being BOG in a flag winning side of course.

The more I've thought about it the less and less it makes sense that JJ got the nod.

I would have had four players before him.

Just to offer a counter opinion i wouldn't want him back.

Aside from a few good/very good games didn't think he was very good. As a key forward he was poor, and as a ruck he was fine, just like Mason Cox or Jordan Roughead or Jon Ceglar is fine.

A bit like Dahlhaus leaving while it was sad to part ways and I did rate him in some areas I also don't miss him and in some ways I am relieved we don't have him anymore.

This is in no way meant to diminish his contribution to 2016.

I get what you mean - I just wonder how much Tom's unreliable body and fragile mental state limited him from reaching his potential.

For mine he was phenomenal in the prelim and GF and it was a window into his potential, not an outlier of his true ability.

We'll never know of course, but I hope he doesn't come back. He went out the way he chose to and I don't think enough is made of that.

macca
16-04-2021, 07:41 PM
For our club and its resources and facilities, I believe we got the best out of Tom. He rucked against bigger and stronger men for someone his age at 21 in 2016, and he got battered every week. He was a forward who we tried to turn into a ruckman.

How many big man have a long AFL career in the modern game ? Its few and far between. The churn of ruckmen and key forwards is quite large. Even Nic Nat is in the eagles side after a few interrupted years. They get tried as ruck and just don't seem to make it or get moved on as they are not the next Gawn or Grundy: J.Roughead, Keffe , Vickery and probably Mason Cox . Even Jarrod Witts got delisted at Collingwood.

Whatever we paid for him was worth the price, as he put his body and mind on the line to win us that premiership. I am very thankful he did everything he could in that year, in those moments to win it.

He will be one player remembered as a legend for that glorious day.

Patton just retired. In a few years time, someone will ask, Patton who ? What did he do ? not so positive stories

Twodogs
16-04-2021, 08:01 PM

I think you are right and I hope that the club is in regular contact with Tom. Age wise he'd be the perfect replacement when Martin retires.

boydogs
16-04-2021, 11:44 PM
Liam Picken recovered from concussion, Clay Smith's knee better, Shane Biggs over the party lifestyle, Jack Redpath learnt to change direction, and Tom Boyd back in love with the game. Trade for Roughead, Dahlhaus, Stringer & Hamling :D

Topdog
17-04-2021, 10:06 AM
Tom Boyd is a Bulldog Immortal. I hope to meet him one day and thank him personally for his efforts. I waited from 1956 to see us win the Premiership. That's a long time. There are many things we want in life and a lot of them are within our control. But winning a flag is something that only others could do for me. It was their gift to me and I indebted to them. That's how much that month and that Flag meant to me.

I still remember reading and following your efforts to get back to Melbourne in time. Remarkable effort

merantau
17-04-2021, 04:07 PM
I still remember reading and following your efforts to get back to Melbourne in time. Remarkable effort
Believe me it was worth the effort. For anyone who missed the post re that trip, here it is again.

https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/a-ride-to-remember-and-the-experience-of-a-lifetime.10539/#post-69098