PDA

View Full Version : Our Great WOOF Community

Eastdog
19-05-2019, 05:44 PM
Updated Poll of where we are located nowadays.

hujsh
19-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Yeah makes sense. Vic Metro wasn't telling us much

Eastdog
19-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Yeah makes sense. Vic Metro wasn't telling us much

Yeah thought I’d make it more specific.

Eastdog
21-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Good response so far 33.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-05-2019, 12:10 AM
https://m.facebook.com/1313506355361382/photos/a.1834874683224544/1834874733224539/?type=3&source=48

Eastdog
22-05-2019, 01:40 PM
https://m.facebook.com/1313506355361382/photos/a.1834874683224544/1834874733224539/?type=3&source=48

What a great photo. I think they used that on the membership card last year for social club members.

Twodogs
23-05-2019, 09:46 AM
I went to Arden st when the Gasometer loomed over the ground. Did anyone else?

I only found out the other day what a gasometer actually does though. They sound pretty dangerous.

Bulldog4life
23-05-2019, 11:52 AM

I only found out the other day what a gasometer actually does though. They sound pretty dangerous.

Yes I went there a number of times Td. It was bloody huge. Had some good wins there too.

bornadog
23-05-2019, 11:55 AM

I use to go there is the 70s with mates, and funnily enough ended up living around the corner in the late 80's.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Was the gasometer there when Led Zeppelin (?) played there? I think it was but I was more aware of the beautiful girls we had with us.

bornadog
23-05-2019, 02:58 PM
Was the gasometer there when Led Zeppelin played there? I think it was but I was more aware of the beautiful girls we had with us.

Zeppelin played Kooyong

Eastdog
23-05-2019, 07:33 PM
44 responses so far. Keep them coming if you haven’t voted in the poll.

Twodogs
23-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Yes I went there a number of times Td. It was bloody huge. Had some good wins there too.

The best one I remember wasn't even a bulldog match. Friends of the family who barracked for Fitzroy used to take me if I couldn't convince anyone to take to see Footscray and when North were at the top of their game in the 1970s they took me to see North and Fitzroy at Arden street. Late in the last quarter North were miles in front when we decided that we'd beat the traffic and leave a bit early. We walked a few metres and Fitzroy kicked a few goals so we stopped a while and watched and North took over again, so we walked a few more metres and Fitzroy hit the front and then won the game as we carefully wandered around the outer pretending that we were leaving but we weren't really leaving because we'd worked out that fate was mucking as around!

I use to go there is the 70s with mates, and funnily enough ended up living around the corner in the late 80's.

So did I! I ended up living in Sutton street. Horrible bloody old tenement it was. It had an outside toilet and bathroom and was freezing.

Does anyone remember that fight Tony Mundine (Anthony's old man He could actually box though) had at Arden street? I reckon Tony was waving at a mate of his in the crowd when his opponent (A Mexican fighter I think) knocked him into the middle of next week with a punch that started from the floor, there were members of the crowd yelling trying to draw his attention to the bolo punch his opponent was about to throw...

Looked up the Mexican's name and I think it was Luis Manuel RodrĂ*guez

bornadog
23-05-2019, 10:14 PM
So did I! I ended up living in Sutton street. Horrible bloody old tenement it was. It had an outside toilet and bathroom and was freezing.

I had a terrace house in Carroll st.

Twodogs
23-05-2019, 10:29 PM
I had a terrace house in Carroll st.

We rented back then-you'd wake up in the morning or get home from work to find out someone new had moved in, I can remember once at a party the cops standing at the front door and asking "Is there anyone here at the moment who actually lives here???" It was easy enough to say 'no' back then and it was pretty much impossible to prove. I reckon it was about $35 a week. We moved to North st in Footscray (in 1989) after that in to a three bedroom house for $40 a week. At Footscray we had an inside bathroom (Luxury!) but still had an outside toilet.

ledge
24-05-2019, 07:52 PM
I worked at the vic rail printing works in Lauren’s street from 1980 to 1990 . Used to run laps around the Arden street ground at lunchtime and use the pool next to it.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2019, 08:44 PM
I worked at the vic rail printing works in Lauren’s street from 1980 to 1990 . Used to run laps around the Arden street ground at lunchtime and use the pool next to it.

Printing signs ledge? I used to live in Queensberry street while studying at RMIT. That was back in the day when students could live in the inner city......

Eastdog
24-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Zeppelin played Kooyong

That would have been a cool show to see.

bornadog
25-05-2019, 12:06 AM
Printing signs ledge? I used to live in Queensberry street while studying at RMIT. That was back in the day when students could live in the inner city......

They do live in the inner city have you been to the Vic market area, full of towers with Asian students

ledge
25-05-2019, 12:12 AM

Printing train tickets , timetables etc, I am actually a bookbinder by trade, did the schooling at the MCPGA in Queensbury street.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Printing train tickets , timetables etc, I am actually a bookbinder by trade, did the schooling at the MCPGA in Queensbury street.

Thats interesting. I used to walk past that building often. My grandfather was editor of a country newspaper. I love the smell of printing ink.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Yeah but they don't go to the Tote on a Saturday night and listen to Triple R.
Docklands is the actual city.
I mean when a guy from the country could live on Austudy in the inner city ( Fitzroy, North Melb ) without his parent's deep pockets.

ledge
25-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Thats interesting. I used to walk past that building often. My grandfather was editor of a country newspaper. I love the smell of printing ink.

It’s only just been ripped down , the old canteen building is still sitting there, must be to do with the new tunnel.
Sometimes I wonder about the asbestos it must have been full of.
I was a 16 year old apprentice back in 1980.
Had a Fitzroy footballer called Burke work with us at one time.
Also had a champion vic boxer called Stretch Anderson who became known for a particular shooting in brashes greensborough, took out his girlfriend a friend and himself, scary man, were later to find out he had a gun in his work draw and came to work that day looking for some managers. He read Mein Campf and spent all his time doing Rubics cube.
Only one manager was game to say anything to him, they just left him alone.
Greg Williams also visited occasionally.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2019, 12:19 PM
It’s only just been ripped down , the old canteen building is still sitting there, must be to do with the new tunnel.
Also had a champion vic boxer called Stretch Anderson who became known for a particular shooting in brashes greensborough, took out his girlfriend a friend and himself, scary man, were later to find out he had a gun in his work draw and came to work that day looking for some managers. He read Mein Campf and spent all his time doing Rubics cube.

So interesting. What a character. So I assume he did a long stint in jail.
North Melbourne, Abbostsord, Clifton Hill, I lived a lot in the inner city as a student and graduate. I lived at PANCH hospital when they leased the res to RMIT in Bundoora, before the design dept moved to the city. There were shootings in Preston as well.
Those old boxing gyms in the inner city were such interesting places. I laugh at gyms in Melbourne now, with signs reminding people to wear deodorant. No kidding. I liked North Melbourne back in those days and the market was cheap. I always wanted to learn silk screen or other old school printing. I teach a bit of printmaking now and then here in China.

ledge
25-05-2019, 12:57 PM
https://twistedhistory.net.au/2016/01/03/brutal-murder-sets-pattern/

Found this if you read down you will find his story.

Twodogs
25-05-2019, 12:57 PM

I remember that. His name was Trevor Anderson wasn't it? Early '80s, I want to say late '82, early '83. Weird thing to happen but pretty much everyone had access to a gun back then before Port Arthur.

Bulldog4life
25-05-2019, 02:46 PM

I remember Stretch Anderson from TV Ringside on channel 7.

ledge
25-05-2019, 03:08 PM
I remember Stretch Anderson from TV Ringside on channel 7.

Yep that was him.

Eastdog
25-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Reminiscing of when the inner city was the industrial heartland.

Eastdog
27-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Really good response so far up to 50. TAS and NT still yet to get off the mark but every other option has been filled.

Eastdog
28-05-2019, 06:14 PM
So far after 53 votes:

VIC Metro Western and VIC Metro Eastern/South Eastern/Bayside 11 each
VIC Metro Northern 8
VIC Metro CBD and VIC Country 5 each
SA and Overseas 3 each
NSW, QLD and WA 2 each
ACT 1
TAS and NT 0 each

comrade
28-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Which Vic Country regions are we win?

Ballarat for me.

Eastdog
28-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Which Vic Country regions are we win?

Ballarat for me.

With VIC Country you can vote and also state the specific region. VIC Metro not needed as that is already stated in the polls.

Twodogs
28-05-2019, 08:05 PM
With VIC Country you can vote and also state the specific region. VIC Metro not needed as that is already stated in the polls.

Don't ever try and tell someone from Bendigo that they come from roughly the same area as Ballarat Easty. Unless you happen to be holding a particularly large stick.

Eastdog
28-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Don't ever try and tell someone from Bendigo that they come from roughly the same area as Ballarat Easty. Unless you happen to be holding a particularly large stick.

No they are two separate towns with their own history.

Twodogs
28-05-2019, 08:31 PM
No they are two separate towns.

Violently so my good man...

Eastdog
31-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Violently so my good man...

Soverign Hill, Ballarat very popular destination for school camps.
Scienceworks in Spotswood - popular for primary school excursions.

Jeanette54
31-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Yes, a number of times in the 60's and 70's. There used to be a greyhound track around the oval, but before my time.

Twodogs
01-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Soverign Hill, Ballarat very popular destination for school camps.
Scienceworks in Spotswood - popular for primary school excursions.

I will just point out that (like my dear old Bendigo born and bred father did when I asked if we could go to SH) Sovereign Hill is a pretend gold mine that was never actually a working mine unlike the Central Deborah mine in Bendigo.

We could go to the Central Deborah as often as we liked but don't even ask about Sovereign Hill.

Eastdog
02-06-2019, 04:34 PM
VIC Metro Western 13
VIC Metro Eastern/Southern Eastern/Bayside 11
VIC Metro Northern 8
VIC Metro CBD 5, VIC Country 5
SA 3, Overseas 3
WA 2, NSW 2, QLD 2
ACT 1
TAS 0, NT 0

Eastdog
06-06-2019, 09:41 PM
I will just point out that (like my dear old Bendigo born and bred father did when I asked if we could go to SH) Sovereign Hill is a pretend gold mine that was never actually a working mine unlike the Central Deborah mine in Bendigo.

We could go to the Central Deborah as often as we liked but don't even ask about Sovereign Hill.

Thanks for that TD :)

For any woofers who haven’t voted in the poll cast your votes. 55 responses at the moment.

Eastdog
19-06-2019, 08:58 PM
57 responses.

The current state

From Melbourne and Victoria
VIC Metro West leading just over VIC Metro East/South East/Bayside 13-12. VIC Metro North a couple behind on 8 with VIC country just behind on 6 and VIC Metro CBD 1 behind VIC country on 5.

From Interstate
South Australia ahead on 3 followed by New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia all on 2 then ACT on 1. Tasmania and Northern Territory yet to register a score.

Overseas 3 so far.

merantau
23-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Yes, indeed it was Luis Rodriguez. But I believe he was a US citizen. He was one of a number of fighters who knocked out Tony Mundine - Kahu Mahanga, Garry Summerhayes, Yaqui Lopez, Tom Bethea, Lee Royster, Carlos Monzon (World Title fight), Benny Briscoe. Rufino Angulo. But let’s not forget his record - fought more overseas fighters than any other Australian fighter and held the Australian Heavyweight, light heavyweight and middle weight titles at the same time. Also held British Commonwealth light heavy and middleweight titles. He was a terrific fighter. His fight with Kahu Mahanga was an all-time classic. Festival Hall 1969 TV Ringside. He was only 19 years old. One of the greats.

Twodogs
24-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Thanks for that TD :)

For any woofers who haven’t voted in the poll cast your votes. 55 responses at the moment.

You'll never believe this. I got a phone call from my ex yesterday asking if our daughter could stay with me for her birthday and if I could take her to Sovereign Hill while she was here!

It's a weird coincidence that we were talking about it here.

Eastdog
28-06-2019, 05:14 PM
You'll never believe this. I got a phone call from my ex yesterday asking if our daughter could stay with me for her birthday and if I could take her to Sovereign Hill while she was here!

It's a weird coincidence that we were talking about it here.

Big conincidence. Conindences crop up more than you think. How was Soverign Hill Twodogs?

Thanks to all woofers for answering the poll. We have a high concentration in the western suburbs heartland which is expected but a good sperad in the northern and eastern suburbs from woof. The VIC country poll is going up have quite a few on here from the country.

Twodogs
28-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Big conincidence. Conindences crop up more than you think. How was Soverign Hill Twodogs?

Thanks to all woofers for answering the poll. We have a high concentration in the western suburbs heartland which is expected but a good sperad in the northern and eastern suburbs from woof. The VIC country poll is going up have quite a few on here from the country.

Her birthday is next month, that's when we are going. My daughter livers in Tassie these days but she lived with me for most of her life. My son lives on the mainland with me.

Eastdog
06-08-2019, 08:54 PM
How was Soverign Hill Twodogs? Did you have a good time out there?

Twodogs
06-08-2019, 11:58 PM
How was Soverign Hill Twodogs? Did you have a good time out there?

Yeah it was great. I nearly bought a hat! I did buy lots of boiled lollies though.

Pretty sure my daughter had a good time.

Eastdog
07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Yeah it was great. I nearly bought a hat! I did buy lots of boiled lollies though.

Great to hear Twodogs.

Eastdog
07-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Imagine if we were playing up in Ballarat this weekend. We could have been the first AFL game to get snow :D

westdog54
07-08-2019, 10:02 PM

You haven't had a raspberry drop unless you've had a still-warm one from the factory.

We watched the peppermint humbug demonstration and anyone who had a sinus problem didn't by the end of the demo

Twodogs
07-08-2019, 11:18 PM
You haven't had a raspberry drop unless you've had a still-warm one from the factory.

We watched the peppermint humbug demonstration and anyone who had a sinus problem didn't by the end of the demo

Years age I did a lolly making course at William Angliss College. It was great they taught us how to roll boiled sweets and enrobe chocolate. The process of making boiled lollies is really dangerous because you are working with boiling sugar masses and using steam and vapours. All the guys who taught the course were either German or Austrian (probably half a dozen blokes were teaching us at various stages) and they all had most of their fingertips burned away to the first knuckle joint because they stopped concentrating at one stage and ended up dipping their fingers into boiling hot melted sugar!

I've had lots of jobs and taken interests in all sorts of things but they were the wildest guys I've ever worked with.

Twodogs
07-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Imagine if we were playing up in Ballarat this weekend. We could have been the first AFL game to get snow :D

About a fortnight after the moon landing in 1969 it snowed in Yarraville for the only time in my 55 years. It was only a light dusting but the teacher wouldn't let us out of the classroom to play in it. Talk about a miserable old git! Even though she wasn't even half the age I am now.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2019, 10:38 AM
About a fortnight after the moon landing in 1969 it snowed in Yarraville for the only time in my 55 years. It was only a light dusting but the teacher wouldn't let us out of the classroom to play in it. Talk about a miserable old git! Even though she wasn't even half the age I am now.

What school did you go to in Yarraville Td? I went to Yarraville West. Earlier than you though.

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 11:43 AM
What school did you go to in Yarraville Td? I went to Yarraville West. Earlier than you though.

I went to Kingsville between 1969-1975. It's the 100th birthday celebration of the school opening in 1919 in a couple of weeks.

I was in Preps when it snowed and I can remember watching through the window with my mates and asking (begging) the teacher to let us outside at morning playtime but she said no. We were all like "WTF? It's snowing and you won't let us out of the classroom?" but she held firm, "No you will get all wet and catch a cold!" "But duuude, it's snowing!!!!! Who gives a *!*!*!*! what happens to us next week?":)

I reckon it contributed to my problems with authority later in life. A few years later a teacher blocked the door to try and stop me getting out of an upstairs classroom so I jumped out of the window. I didn't really think that one through very well though, the sudden landing bloody hurt.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 01:16 PM
I went to Kingsville between 1969-1975. It's the 100th birthday celebration of the school opening in 1919 in a couple of weeks.

My cousins went there during that period.

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 01:24 PM
My cousins went there during that period.

What were their names? I might know them.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 01:33 PM
What were their names? I might know them.

I won't give full name, but with my Turkish background you probably knew a few. Did you know an Ahmet

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 01:38 PM
I won't give full name, but with my Turkish background you probably knew a few. Did you know an Ahmet

Yup. Went to school with lots of Turkish kids. Their dads were always intrigued how most Aussie kids knew who Attaturk was and held him in such high regard.

bornadog
08-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Yup. Went to school with lots of Turkish kids. Their dads were always intrigued how most Aussie kids knew who Attaturk was and held him in such high regard.

Yeah, we all grew up not far from that school, off Somerville rd. Kingsville st, Wales St, Coronation st, etc. I was brought up in Wales st, but we moved to West Sunshine when I was four. We came back in 1961 and lived in Barkley st and I went to West Footscray Primary for a few years. My dad and his cousins, friends, loved the footy when they arrived in 1951 and lived in those streets and walked to the ground.

westdog54
08-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Years age I did a lolly making course at William Angliss College. It was great they taught us how to roll boiled sweets and enrobe chocolate. The process of making boiled lollies is really dangerous because you are working with boiling sugar masses and using steam and vapours. All the guys who taught the course were either German or Austrian (probably half a dozen blokes were teaching us at various stages) and they all had most of their fingertips burned away to the first knuckle joint because they stopped concentrating at one stage and ended up dipping their fingers into boiling hot melted sugar!

I've had lots of jobs and taken interests in all sorts of things but they were the wildest guys I've ever worked with.

Its a fascinating process to watch, between the initial sugar/water/butter mixture, to adding whatever colour/oil/flavouring they need, the cooling, the taffy pull, rolling it through the old machine, the kids were captivated.

Mofra
08-08-2019, 02:19 PM
I went to Kingville too - a few years after you finished though

bornadog
08-08-2019, 02:32 PM
I went to Kingsville too - a few years after you finished though

A Famous school

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 08:31 PM
I went to Kingville too - a few years after you finished though

I didn't know that. When were you there? EJ went to Kingsville too. Bubba Smith and Ijlia Grgic lived locally (they both lived in Angliss street ironically) but I'm not sure they went to Kingy. I'm pretty sure that Rohan went to a Catholic school and Ijlia Grgic went to a private school, Ijlia has a massive intellect and would have been wasting his time at a government school.

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Its a fascinating process to watch, between the initial sugar/water/butter mixture, to adding whatever colour/oil/flavouring they need, the cooling, the taffy pull, rolling it through the old machine, the kids were captivated.

It's THE highlight of a trip to SH.

Twodogs
08-08-2019, 08:36 PM
Yeah, we all grew up not far from that school, off Somerville rd. Kingsville st, Wales St, Coronation st, etc. I was brought up in Wales st, but we moved to West Sunshine when I was four. We came back in 1961 and lived in Barkley st and I went to West Footscray Primary for a few years. My dad and his cousins, friends, loved the footy when they arrived in 1951 and lived in those streets and walked to the ground.

I used to knock doors on those streets asking if people wanted any odd jobs done and I used to have a bunch of old ladies who would save their bottles for me. Then when I had enough, I'd take them to the bottlo in Willy road and cash them in.

Eastdog
09-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Up to 62 votes from Woofers.

Eastdog
13-08-2019, 10:20 PM

I believe that there were more trams in the inner west back then as today there is only the 57 and 82 that run through the inner west. Was there a tram that went past WO?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-08-2019, 10:28 PM
I believe that there were more trams in the inner west back then as today there is only the 57 and 82 that run through the inner west. Was there a tram that went past WO?

Can i just say, we have ZERO trams here in Brisvegas. In the infinite wisdom of Qld Govt, they got rid of the largest tram system in Australia, decades ago. We as a city are the poorer for that, both culturally and economically (given the billions of dollars subsequent Govts have thrown at trying to solve traffic issues)
Having just visited Melvourne, it was a relative joy to experience the ease of getting around the city compared to up here.
If not for your haughty house prices, I'd be moving my family back down to Melbourne in a heartbeat!!

bornadog
14-08-2019, 12:07 AM

Yes there was, straight down Barkley st past our place.

bornadog
14-08-2019, 12:08 AM
Here are the boys at Kingsville Primary today

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EB1Ec0kU0AE_yQ9?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Twodogs
15-08-2019, 07:36 AM
Only one kid in a bulldog jumper is massively disappointing. I'm goiung to ask some pointed questions when I am at Kinsville on Saturday for the 100 anniversary.

Is this microphone working????
"what the *!*!*!*! do you parents think you're doing? You move to the west and you barrack for Footscray, that's the rule with living in the west. At least your kids should, we couldn't give a rat's arse who the parents barrack for. We want your kids! Buy them a membership"

azabob
15-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Two kids TD, two kids. But your point remains.

Twodogs
15-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Two kids TD, two kids. But your point remains.

So it is. It's still not close to being good enough though.

Eastdog
16-08-2019, 08:31 PM
Can i just say, we have ZERO trams here in Brisvegas. In the infinite wisdom of Qld Govt, they got rid of the largest tram system in Australia, decades ago. We as a city are the poorer for that, both culturally and economically (given the billions of dollars subsequent Govts have thrown at trying to solve traffic issues)
Having just visited Melvourne, it was a relative joy to experience the ease of getting around the city compared to up here.
If not for your haughty house prices, I'd be moving my family back down to Melbourne in a heartbeat!!

Tram not so good if your living in the outer suburbs to commute into the city but for inner city people they are a very good. We still can get things better like train and tram frequencies etc but by and large it is very good. A lot of projects are going on right now in Victoria like the Metro tunnel.

Eastdog
16-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Yes there was, straight down Barkley st past our place.

Yes I thought there was a tram once there.

Eastdog
23-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Update:

14 each VIC Metro Western and VIC Metro Eastern, South Eastern, Bayside - 28 In this group
9 for VIC Metro Northern
7 for VIC Country
5 VIC Metro Melb. CBD
3 each for NSW, SA and WA and Overseas = 12 int this group
2 for QLD
1 for ACT
Still no responses for TAS and ACT

Eastdog
13-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Yes I thought there was a tram once there.

http://www.hawthorntramdepot.org.au/papers/footscray.htm - a bit about the history of the Footscray tramways.

Eastdog
26-09-2019, 09:23 PM
I’ve enjoyed the discussion on this thread talking about some old history. Been interesting reading particularly for the more younger woofers like myself. Great response to the poll. Another 35 votes to hit 100 responses.

Go Dogs!

BornInDroopSt'54
27-09-2019, 02:47 PM
We rented back then-you'd wake up in the morning or get home from work to find out someone new had moved in, I can remember once at a party the cops standing at the front door and asking "Is there anyone here at the moment who actually lives here???" It was easy enough to say 'no' back then and it was pretty much impossible to prove. I reckon it was about $35 a week. We moved to North st in Footscray (in 1989) after that in to a three bedroom house for $40 a week. At Footscray we had an inside bathroom (Luxury!) but still had an outside toilet.
Outside dunny bad news if you had dogs and went at night in the dark, barefoot or slippers. We had two woolfhounds...(Northcote).

strebla
27-09-2019, 06:59 PM
When I was in primary school each class had 2 Footscray memberships to be given out for home games I wonder if that is still the case ???

KT31
28-09-2019, 11:54 AM
When I was in primary school each class had 2 Footscray memberships to be given out for home games I wonder if that is still the case ???

We had the same a Tech school, being one of few Doggies supporters it was a given I could get one each week.

Eastdog
28-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Thinking about to 2016 GF day. It was just fantastic to be amongst my fellow Bulldog supporters in the stands Level 4 at the MCG and the the celebrations the next day at Whitten Oval in Footscray 30K strong crowd celebrating our premiership - will never forget that! We all were at the time are ‘we really premiers’ and we were really premiers. Would love to do that all again soon!

Twodogs
29-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Outside dunny bad news if you had dogs and went at night in the dark, barefoot or slippers. We had two woolfhounds...(Northcote).

We had a German Shepherd called Girley but the stupid thing only ever got excited when she saw a plastic shopping bag! If we ook her for a walk and she saw a plastic shopping bag she'd break her leash and go for it followed by us all running after her yelling "no Girley!!!!"

The worst thing about going to the dunny in the dark in barefoot were the pumpkin plants and the spikes and thorns.

Eastdog
02-10-2019, 10:02 PM
From the Sutton Medal tonight Ameet Baines said his kid and Steven King kid are like one of 5 Bulldogs supporters at their school in the eastern suburbs.

We recently had footy colours Day I wonder the Bulldog representation now at all the schools.

AndrewP6
04-10-2019, 11:36 PM
From the Sutton Medal tonight Ameet Baines said his kid and Steven King kid are like one of 5 Bulldogs supporters at their school in the eastern suburbs.

We recently had footy colours Day I wonder the Bulldog representation now at all the schools.

My school is in the SE Suburbs. We recently had footy colours day, I reckon there were about 4 or 5 kids in Dogs colours. That's out of over 1100 kids.

Twodogs
07-10-2019, 12:43 PM
My school is in the SE Suburbs. We recently had footy colours day, I reckon there were about 4 or 5 kids in Dogs colours. That's out of over 1100 kids.

Thats, what somewhere around .0004%?

I'm surprised that it's that many.

AndrewP6
07-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Thats, what somewhere around .0004%?

I'm surprised that it's that many.

Haha. Yeah, I made sure to high five all of them!

HOSE B ROMERO
07-10-2019, 10:26 PM

I imagine how tall those kids would have felt on the monday after the 2016 gf!

Eastdog
12-10-2019, 03:55 PM
I imagine how tall those kids would have felt on the monday after the 2016 gf!

They would have been so happy. Just an amazing feeling for all of us in 2016.

Eastdog
13-12-2019, 08:27 PM
27 more responses to go to get to the 100. No surprises from the results. Have the core of support in the western heartland with considerable number in the north east/south east plus a good country following.

Eastdog
19-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Thought I put this here. This is the first jumper we had that incorporated the red, white and blue colours 1886.

https://i.postimg.cc/xdZMxNbj/F275-E251-21-FF-4970-8-CC0-137-D73-A4-EF9-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gwvxrJD1)

Twodogs
19-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Thought I put this here. This is the first jumper we had that incorporated the red, white and blue colours 1886.

https://i.postimg.cc/xdZMxNbj/F275-E251-21-FF-4970-8-CC0-137-D73-A4-EF9-C.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gwvxrJD1)

Did you do that Easty? It's good.

Eastdog
19-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Did you do that Easty? It's good.

No someone else did. They did a very good job.

Eastdog
20-01-2020, 08:54 PM
No someone else did. They did a very good job.

Was done from an online store that does these but I can’t remember off the top of my head now which one. When it comes to me I’ll post the link.

Eastdog
04-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Back in my primary school days when we did the Soverign Hill camp I went to this school

Still have a photo of our class that year outside that school.

http://www.sovereignhill.com.au/costumed-school/our-schools/red-hill-national-school/

Eastdog
07-06-2021, 09:15 PM
Been great in recent times driving in the inner west to the Whitten Oval and surrounds. Will have to one day do a woof catch up somewhere in the inner west once Covid calms down.

Eastdog
17-06-2021, 10:21 PM
From the Kennel Kapers No. 4 June 2021

Tony Crehan - President EWC

East West Club Early Days

I’ve reached out to our past members of the East-West Club - from foundation members to those that were part of our group in those first 20 years and invited them to relate some of their stories.

We have available a 2020 (not 2021 as previously advised) Western Bulldogs signed team jumper for the best story. Our first entries are from Geoff Gray, who not only was one of the original members from that first meeting at the Mitcham Hotel in 1983 but until last year served again for a number of years on our committee. He has also has been a long time sponsor of our group.

Here is Geoff’s first story.

I remember back in 1991, the East-West Club ran a competition for Junior Members. They were asked to explain in a few words why they would like a favourite Bulldogs player to come to their home for a dinner!

On the TV at that time there was a promotion about the advantages of cooking a lamb roast for
your guests. My 10-year-old daughter, Loren Gray, thought she would write in and explain that if we had a Bulldogs player for dinner “my Mum would cook him up a lamb roast with all the trimmings”.

Well, Loren became the winning entry and Ben Sexton duly turned up one night and enjoyed a beautiful lamb roast with our family. I think I was more impressed than my children to have a senior Bulldog home for dinner!

Geoff also shared this second story that may bring back some memories for our older East- Westers:

I remember the times when we had a trip to the Kennel to have a pie night and watch players train.

A bus would start from down near Dandenong and travel via Glen Waverley, pick us up at Ringwood Square, on to Doncaster and then out to the Western Oval for training.

We were shown around the facilities, watched some training and then listened to some “tall stories” from one of our trainers.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2021, 06:29 PM
Shout-out to the 5 rusted on expats. Whoever you are.

One bonus, I can get Bulldogs gear straight from the factory ;)

Eastdog
21-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Been great in recent times driving in the inner west to the Whitten Oval and surrounds. Will have to one day do a woof catch up somewhere in the inner west once Covid calms down.

Really loving driving around there. I feel like I probably have gone past some woofers current and old houses :D

Eastdog
21-06-2021, 01:14 PM
Shout-out to the 5 rusted on expats. Whoever you are.

One bonus, I can get Bulldogs gear straight from the factory ;)

How is it following the Dogs from overseas GD?

Ghost Dog
22-06-2021, 02:17 AM
How is it following the Dogs from overseas GD?

Hi there EDog. Thanks for saying hi.

The Youtuber Al does an excellent job with the highlights. It's especially interesting to watch the VFL.
I'm in Shanghai and there's a bit of an AFL community here.
My boss is a raving crows fan. There's a bar called The Shed, an Australian-themed place where you can watch AFL.
Obviously, I could follow AFL better in Melbourne but on the other hand, I'd most likely be jobless right now.
All the colleagues in my former industry ( international students ) are doing anything they can to find work now.

Last year was such a complex and difficult time I was out of it. Thanks to GVG for reeling me back in. This forum is great.
I made the decision to move cities. Luckily I did as the place I was in is all in lockdown at the moment.

Who else is OS at the moment? appreciate everyone's insights and posts - thank you.

Eastdog
22-06-2021, 06:46 PM
Good stuff GD. Been good to hear from you. Hoping we can get the win on Sunday.

Eastdog
17-07-2021, 10:27 PM
Doggies scarf proudly out at home:

https://i.postimg.cc/tZS9BFQS/01-FAA257-B83-E-4-B4-F-845-A-933217-B82-E22.jpg (https://postimg.cc/tZS9BFQS)

Dancin' Douggy
18-07-2021, 10:35 AM
Is Flemington northern or western?

Eastdog
18-07-2021, 02:57 PM
Is Flemington northern or western?

Flemington is in the City of Melbourne and City of Moonee Valley.

City of Melbourne part I would say is central and City of Moonee Valley considered a western council area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Suburbs_(Melbourne)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Melbourne_suburbs

Dancin' Douggy
18-07-2021, 03:39 PM
Western then.
Flemington is in the City of Melbourne and City of Moonee Valley.

City of Melbourne part I would say is central and City of Moonee Valley considered a western council area.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Suburbs_(Melbourne)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Melbourne_suburbs

Eastdog
24-08-2021, 05:48 PM
2021 Doggies Finals team poster from the Hearld Sun today.

https://i.postimg.cc/wyxFsgv0/9-CA99-B4-E-8-E55-41-F6-8282-335497681562.jpg (https://postimg.cc/wyxFsgv0)

Ghost Dog
25-08-2021, 12:21 AM
2021 Doggies Finals team poster from the Hearld Sun today.

https://i.postimg.cc/wyxFsgv0/9-CA99-B4-E-8-E55-41-F6-8282-335497681562.jpg (https://postimg.cc/wyxFsgv0)

Brings back good memories of Weg / McKnight cartoons during finals / other things gleaned from the papers.

Eastdog
25-08-2021, 03:21 PM
Brings back good memories of Weg / McKnight cartoons during finals / other things gleaned from the papers.

I have stuff like old Herald Sun newspapers of us on the front cover from 2016 when we won the PF and GF.

Eastdog
01-11-2021, 10:26 PM
Great to be out and about again. This was taken from Point Gellibrand Coastal Heritage Park tonight in Williamstown. Awesome sunset!

https://i.postimg.cc/mc0FwyJn/69690-DAD-462-C-46-FE-9-BB2-7-C46-B5-C71-AD9.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mc0FwyJn)

EasternWest
01-11-2021, 11:23 PM
Great to be out and about again. This was taken from Point Gellibrand Coastal Heritage Park tonight in Williamstown. Awesome sunset!

https://i.postimg.cc/mc0FwyJn/69690-DAD-462-C-46-FE-9-BB2-7-C46-B5-C71-AD9.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mc0FwyJn)

After a shit couple of years I'm ready for more Easty wholesomeness. Bring it on.