PDA

View Full Version : War chest.

Dancin' Douggy
22-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Ok..so we have a war chest. What will we do with our war chest.
How should we best use the war chest.

What Machiavellian schemes can we come up with to manipulate the war chest in the best possible way.

You've probably guessed by now, but I just love saying (typing) war chest.

In my opinion we need 3 things.

1. Dynamic, fast, elusive, high flying small forward who will apply defensive pressure relentlessly. AND KICK GOALS!!!

The blueprint for me is Liam Ryan. I doubt he'd leave W.A. and I'm not suggesting he's the actual player to chase, but he's the type.
Makes me wonder why we'd go for Will Hayes in the draft and ignore Sydney Stack........Anyway.......everyone else ignored him too so I'm not pointing fingers. Our forward line is too vanilla and static right now. Maybe Toby Maclean could be the guy but he's not playing that way atm.

2. Tall Mobile defender. Seems last year we had TOO MANY tall defenders, and we did, too many bulky lumbering types. But with Naughton going forward, and Trengove being our only seasoned ruck back up, and Lewis Young not really being considered ready. We have a hole there to fill immediately. Tomlinson is the one everyones talking about. Maybe he's the guy.......... Whoever it is has to be fast, tall and disciplined with a good leap. Darcy Moore?

3. Ruck/ drifting forward cover. Someone who can help out English when he's fit, to release Trengove to the backline. And also help Trengove in the ruck when Tim English is injured or just needs to give his young body a break. The type I'm thinking of is Rory Lobb. I know we won't be able to get him but he's the TYPE we need.

So........let's put on our thinking caps and see who we might be able to pluck from other teams.

Here's another challenge. Can any devious minds out there come up with a legitimate way to turn cash into draft picks?

Get to work my pets.........mwahahah......

boydogs
22-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Here's another challenge. Can any devious minds out there come up with a legitimate way to turn cash into draft picks?

Continuing to pay the salary of a player currently under contract with us after trading him to another club, in order to secure a higher draft pick in return than would otherwise be the case

bulldogtragic
22-05-2019, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't get concerned about turning money into picks. We could take Buddy & his choking contract for a good pick. But no,

So far in the media/journo's tweets our name has been linked to Langdon (mid, Freo) & Tomlinson (KPD, GWS).

Some posters have indicated they've heard a Carlton KPD rumour. Maybe Weitering, or not.

The replacement for Boyd could be Peter Wright, who still hasn't signed a new contract. Not a great second ruck, but the right size and agile. Jack Martin I think is still uncontracted.

I'd pursue Ben King and see what happens with GCS. Probably told no, but I've explained the left field thinking in another thread.

If we went hard at Cogs, a poster mentioned we could afford to allow Bonts to spend time forward. Interesting thought.

Not sure of the small forwards, or high half forwards (to replace Stringer & Crameri as MJP suggests) to name. Sydney need to rebuild quickly, so perhaps we can get a good one there.

We have lots of options. I'd be prepared to put up our first rounder and if we flipped two third rounders into a second (draft points trade), maybe that too. Although pick 6-9 could get a nice medium/small forward. Losing likely Picken, Boyd, Morris & Dickson leaves a gap in experience and I don't think we can just draft this year. We need some ready made players to help our list.

Still gotta sign Dunkley, Williams & Young at a minimum too. Although I'm getting concerned with Williams.

Lots of options for Sam Power, and he's really going to earn his money by making the right decision.

Mofra
23-05-2019, 10:40 AM
One podcast said we should chase Walla from the Bombers, but his cousin is likely to get picked up at the mid-season draft and might be a cheaper, easily available option. Small forwards can be found at state league level, especially WA for some reason. Even the best of his generation (Betts) was a PSD pick after missing out on the draft.

I'll mention Sam Day again as Gold Coast have an excess of talls.

I'll also mention Conor Ballendon - tall, aggressive, can play second ruck and more mobile then 2MP. Plus with Brissie's talls and academy picks he seems remotely gettable and we did bid on him previously during the draft so we have a known interest. On top of all this, I imagine he's cheaper than 2MP who has the same 'hard' hands Boyd had.

Chasing Tomlinson is great, he'd be wonderful for us but I really don't see him leaving GWS. I like the idea of chasing a medium tall (who would have been a genuine KPD only a generation ago).

mjp
23-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Still gotta sign Dunkley, Williams & Young at a minimum too. Although I'm getting concerned with Williams.

He's not a free agent. Is he going to walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft? What are his options??

Pretty simple - we aren't trading you. You can have this contract on the minimum for one year or you can have this delicious contract for three years...I don't think this one is all that hard...we either rate him or we don't and if we do it is not going to be easy for him to get back to Adelaide.

GVGjr
23-05-2019, 11:37 AM
One podcast said we should chase Walla from the Bombers, but his cousin is likely to get picked up at the mid-season draft and might be a cheaper, easily available option. Small forwards can be found at state league level, especially WA for some reason. Even the best of his generation (Betts) was a PSD pick after missing out on the draft.

I'll mention Sam Day again as Gold Coast have an excess of talls.

I'll also mention Conor Ballendon - tall, aggressive, can play second ruck and more mobile then 2MP. Plus with Brissie's talls and academy picks he seems remotely gettable and we did bid on him previously during the draft so we have a known interest. On top of all this, I imagine he's cheaper than 2MP who has the same 'hard' hands Boyd had.

Chasing Tomlinson is great, he'd be wonderful for us but I really don't see him leaving GWS. I like the idea of chasing a medium tall (who would have been a genuine KPD only a generation ago).

I agree that Tomlinson appears to be a long shot. There is plenty to play out and we will be linked to at least 20 players if their managers are doing the right thing by them

Mofra
23-05-2019, 11:55 AM
I agree that Tomlinson appears to be a long shot. There is plenty to play out and we will be linked to at least 20 players if their managers are doing the right thing by them
I'd imagine around July we get rumours about a fringe type we're linked with (e.g. Lloyd last year, Crozier the year before).

Then there's the left-field link late in the piece we don't expect (Duryea, and Hamling had a lot of us asking "who?")

And of course the big fish we often miss out on - Wingard, Hurley and I'd expect Tomlinson.

bornadog
23-05-2019, 12:00 PM
The way smaller clubs are treated by the AFL, ie lack of Friday nights, MCG games, blockbusters etc, no wonder the marque players don't want to come to us. If you were a top player and were offered to play at the MCG 14 times a year in front of huge crowds, what would you do?

We need to work hard and convince these players we are a premiership threat and you will be playing finals. What else can we convince them with? North has shown it is not just money. They threw big dollars at some top players, and they all turned it down.

Maybe we need to target a young player with potential, like a Boyd and offer them the dollars.

bulldogtragic
23-05-2019, 01:29 PM
He's not a free agent. Is he going to walk to Carlton in the pre-season draft? What are his options??

Pretty simple - we aren't trading you. You can have this contract on the minimum for one year or you can have this delicious contract for three years...I don't think this one is all that hard...we either rate him or we don't and if we do it is not going to be easy for him to get back to Adelaide.

I understand that. I'm concerned about his progression last year, and has apparently gone 180 degrees this year. I'd like to know what's happening in his world. He's playing VFL and without a contract next year. Im concerned about what this means for him, what's happening with him (& his thinking) and him staying at the club. I'm not losing sleep, but as I said, I'm starting to get concerned.

bornadog
23-05-2019, 02:26 PM
Discussion here (https://twitter.com/AFLExchange/status/1131352512659771392) on Bulldogs War Chest.

One suggestion is go for Anthony Tippa as a small pressure forward and another suggestion is Patton (and would be cheap)

Why not go for both.

wimberga
23-05-2019, 02:37 PM
I'd love to go after:

Harris Andrews
Alex Sexton
Aliir Aliir
Jacob Weitering
Nick Vlastuin
Dougal Howard

These are all guys I think could slot in but we would not have to sell the farm for.

Happy Days
23-05-2019, 03:42 PM
I'd love to go after:

Harris Andrews
Alex Sexton
Aliir Aliir
Jacob Weitering
Nick Vlastuin
Dougal Howard

These are all guys I think could slot in but we would not have to sell the farm for.

A lot of these guys are contracted long term. Sexton re-signed only a month ago.

Scraggers
23-05-2019, 06:20 PM
I know he's only just signed a new contract, but I would like to go after Lachie Whitfield. Exceptional footy smarts and has elite run and carry. As contracts mean nothing any more (hello Marcus Adams ... talking to you champ) I think we should aggressively go after Lachie.

Remi Moses
23-05-2019, 07:40 PM
Trouble getting Tippa would be Dodo
They’d want three first rounders and the Bont
That’s just the starting price

Mofra
23-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Discussion here (https://twitter.com/AFLExchange/status/1131352512659771392) on Bulldogs War Chest.

One suggestion is go for Anthony Tippa as a small pressure forward and another suggestion is Patton (and would be cheap)

Why not go for both.
Patton after all his ACLs has less lateral movement than Jack Redpath, I don't think he's the type of player we look at.

The rumour mill weeks ago had him going to Hawthorn for very little as another salary dump as he's on very decent coin.

Here's a 'second chance' option. Webb has been linked to Hawthorn in the past, and if we can't lure Keath or Sam Day or any Carlton tall... Shoenmakers as a defender?
Bevo/Suckling/Duryea link from Hawthorn days, would provide a few years of service while a draftee develops, would cost next to nothing and as much as I like Fletch Shoey would be an upgrade.

Dancin' Douggy
23-05-2019, 09:23 PM
Somehow I think the days of Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton and two meter Peter are over.

The huge monster forward just doesn't seem to work in todays footy. Aside from Tom Hawkins. Maybe he just gets better delivery (and home town umpiring)

Their bodies can't seem to hold up. They're too easy to counter attack against..........and let's face it. None of these guys are Plugger. I would still take Plugger in a heartbeat.

I certainly wouldn't be dumping the war chest on either Patton (carrying a truckload of injuries, and yet to really have a solid stretch of dominating performances) or Peter Wright (still unproven).

Maybe there's a a kind of mythical fascination with the huge superhuman forward. It stems perhaps from plays and movies like 'And the big men fly'
and 'The Club'. This idea that there's some undiscovered kid out there on a farm somewhere that you can get for a couple of new shirts, that is a god. Almost like the Loch Ness monster or the Yeti. I think it's a myth that we have all held on to deep in our psyches. It's hard to let go of. It really is.

Jeremy Cameron, Jack Riewoldt, Joe Daniher............ these guys aren't hulking brutish monsters. They are lean and agile with spring and pace.

If we can get someone like those guys...........for sure... But I wouldn't be throwing the war chest at a huge lumbering forward

Bumper Bulldogs
23-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Somehow I think the days of Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton and two meter Peter are over.

The huge monster forward just doesn't seem to work in todays footy. Aside from Tom Hawkins. Maybe he just gets better delivery (and home town umpiring)

Their bodies can't seem to hold up. They're too easy to counter attack against..........and let's face it. None of these guys are Plugger. I would still take Plugger in a heartbeat.

I certainly wouldn't be dumping the war chest on either Patton (carrying a truckload of injuries, and yet to really have a solid stretch of dominating performances) or Peter Wright (still unproven).

Maybe there's a a kind of mythical fascination with the huge superhuman forward. It stems perhaps from plays and movies like 'And the big men fly'
and 'The Club'. This idea that there's some undiscovered kid out there on a farm somewhere that you can get for a couple of new shirts, that is a god. Almost like the Loch Ness monster or the Yeti. I think it's a myth that we have all held on to deep in our psyches. It's hard to let go of. It really is.

Jeremy Cameron, Jack Riewoldt, Joe Daniher............ these guys aren't hulking brutish monsters. They are lean and agile with spring and pace.

If we can get someone like those guys...........for sure... But I wouldn't be throwing the war chest at a huge lumbering forward
Totally agree. We should target a Fyfe/Dangerfield type.

Remember the last time we spent a huge amount of cash one a guy from the GWS it won us a flag

I happy yo to do get again

1eyedog
23-05-2019, 11:28 PM
I think Papleys out of contract this year, I'd have a crack. Good skills, kicks goals. Sydney in a rebuild looking to offload he'd be gettable.

Vred
23-05-2019, 11:34 PM
I'd throw everything at Jordan De Goey if he doesn't resign soon

comrade
24-05-2019, 10:26 AM
I think Papleys out of contract this year, I'd have a crack. Good skills, kicks goals. Sydney in a rebuild looking to offload he'd be gettable.

Yep, he suits our needs to the ground. He's actually a lot younger than I thought.

Twodogs
24-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Papley is interesting. He starts in #41 and wears it for 3 years. Then Jeremy Laidlaw retires and Papley claims the #11 that his granddad Max (Interestingly both his grandfathers were teammates at South between 1964 and 1966) wore but goes back to #41 this year.

mjp
24-05-2019, 02:40 PM
So, when we say 'Fyfe/Dangerfield type', what exactly do we mean? 'cos those two are like 2 of the best 3 players in the comp and I don't think they are gettable. De Goey isn't gettable - the time and effort spent to get him another $100K per year from Collingwood would be better spent looking at players who we COULD actually get.

Brisbane (somehow) identified that SA native Lachie Neale was open to moving from WA to Queensland. How did they do that? No idea...but that is the kind of player we need to target - an excellent footballer who is living life in the shadow of a superstar (in this case Fyfe) and therefore is not maybe receiving the appreciation he deserves.

Who fits into that category?

bornadog
24-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Can you think of anyone? I guess we need to work out what type of player do we want? Mid, KPP, etc.

I would love to chase Essendon's Tippa. He is not a superstar, but is a good pressure forward who also kicks goals.

The Pie Man
24-05-2019, 02:49 PM

I like Papley - was promoted into their leadership group this year so not sure if that's a good sign they'd be keen to release.

Sydney can turn things around pretty quickly too I reckon.

We'd be mad not to ask the question though.

hujsh
24-05-2019, 02:52 PM
So, when we say 'Fyfe/Dangerfield type', what exactly do we mean? 'cos those two are like 2 of the best 3 players in the comp and I don't think they are gettable. De Goey isn't gettable - the time and effort spent to get him another $100K per year from Collingwood would be better spent looking at players who we COULD actually get.

Brisbane (somehow) identified that SA native Lachie Neale was open to moving from WA to Queensland. How did they do that? No idea...but that is the kind of player we need to target - an excellent footballer who is living life in the shadow of a superstar (in this case Fyfe) and therefore is not maybe receiving the appreciation he deserves.

Or like say Tom Mitchell back at Sydney?

How about Mitch Duncan? Geelong want to keep the Kelly, Danger, Selwood Ablett train going. Is there a chance Mitch could be gettable?

Was mentioned in the Caleb article for his superior use of the ball which is something we need more of.

The Pie Man
24-05-2019, 02:57 PM
Cheaper option also from Sydney might be Ben Ronke?

Would anyone be keen on Jack Higgins? Believe we would've picked him if Ed Richards had been taken.

Mofra
24-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Alex Keath for me.

Mature body but significant upside given his late start to football, in Talia's shadow (and Doedee's after his excellent year) and Adelaide have a knack for finding tall backman from nowhere after losing quite a few in recent years (Lever, and losing a manbun to GWS).

Mofra
24-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Cheaper option also from Sydney might be Ben Ronke?

Would anyone be keen on Jack Higgins? Believe we would've picked him if Ed Richards had been taken.
Higgins is contracted and has cult hero written all over him, I doubt Richmond let him go. I liked Shai Bolten as a potentially gettable option but he signed too.

Ballenden from Brissie is another I think we could work on, could develop as a genuine no 2 KPF who chops out in the ruck. Raw but moves well for his size and has genuine aggression.

comrade
24-05-2019, 03:08 PM
GWS has an assortment of second fiddle mids to the alpha dogs in Coniglio & Kelly.

Not sure of their contract status but Hopper, Taranto, Whitfield would all be worthy additions to our midfield.

wimberga
24-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Thinking along those lines, there are a couple of options I see and like, some I have mentioned before:

Nick Vlastuin
Jarrod Berry
Harris Andrews
Connor Blakely
Darcy Gardiner
James Harmes
Blake Acres

Varying degrees of skill levels and overall worth but I feel like most would be interested if we came knocking with a good offer (Andrews likely the hardest to move).

Mostly versatile types which fits exactly with what Bevo seems to like.

I'd also like us to get into the ear of Mason Wood from Norf with a fair offer as I think he is one that could definitely benefit from a change of scenery.

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2019, 03:53 PM
I noted today that Harry Himmelberg is playing his 50th game this week.

I see him as someone who is under appreciated at GWS in the shadow of Jeremy Cameron, but I really like him as a player.

If he was gettable he would be cheaper than some other options and he would immediately make us better.

mjp
24-05-2019, 06:25 PM
Thinking along those lines, there are a couple of options I see and like, some I have mentioned before:

Nick Vlastuin
Jarrod Berry
Harris Andrews
Connor Blakely
Darcy Gardiner
James Harmes
Blake Acres

Varying degrees of skill levels and overall worth but I feel like most would be interested if we came knocking with a good offer (Andrews likely the hardest to move).

I'd also like us to get into the ear of Mason Wood from Norf with a fair offer as I think he is one that could definitely benefit from a change of scenery.

Blakely gettable I think.

ratsmac
24-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Or like say Tom Mitchell back at Sydney?

How about Mitch Duncan? Geelong want to keep the Kelly, Danger, Selwood Ablett train going. Is there a chance Mitch could be gettable?

Was mentioned in the Caleb article for his superior use of the ball which is something we need more of.

I'd definitely have a crack at Mitch Duncan. Great skills and is a goal kicking mid. And most of all it would piss off Geelong

wimberga
24-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Blakely gettable I think.

Would be interest in your opinions of BLAKELY as a player and whether you could see him adding value to our list MJP?

dog town
24-05-2019, 07:46 PM
The news at North Melbourne makes things interesting. Not many there that you would sell the farm for but with a long rebuild ahead they may have a few wondering if it’s time to move on.

Vred
24-05-2019, 09:20 PM
The news at North Melbourne makes things interesting. Not many there that you would sell the farm for but with a long rebuild ahead they may have a few wondering if it’s time to move on.

Ben Brown? Lol

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Ben Brown? Lol
Throw the lot at him.

josie
24-05-2019, 11:23 PM

Nick Vlastuin
Jarrod Berry
Harris Andrews
Connor Blakely
Darcy Gardiner
James Harmes
Blake Acres

Do not watch a lot of other matches but from what I have seen of Mason Wood he is wayward kicking for goal. Talented though. I would we go for someone who is a proven or reliable goal kicker.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2019, 11:38 PM
Just one from left field. What about someone like Jordan Roughead?

He could slot in for our captain.

I’ve been told he is a good club man, someone I think our guys would love in the team.

ledge
24-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Ben Brown? Lol

We could use the reason of being closer to home.

macca
25-05-2019, 01:16 AM
Throw the lot at him.

Throw a big fat contract and go hard! Brown , naughton and gives schache third best defender. That would be team hard to defend . They could kick 100+ goals between them on top of the goal assists.

boydogs
25-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Dion Prestia is a shadow player, big part of Richmond's flag but Dusty got the accolades

GVGjr
25-05-2019, 08:33 AM
I've had a quick look at some of the playing lists and I think we will struggle to get a big name unless we throw big bucks at someone and even then it might still be a wasted endeavor
I think we do have just enough quality players so perhaps a better strategy is to look at either younger players interstate or more role players who are struggling to get games. They would be more likely to look at coming to us.

Would someone like Josh Jenkins be worth a look at? He's got some faults but he can kick goals and provide a decent support ruckman.
Someone mentioned Dougal Howard from Port as well and he might be worth a look at given he could play forward or back
Could we make a play for Darcy Tucker from Fremantle who could add to our midfield depth?

Players like Lloyd, Trengove and Crozier have added something positive to the side and while they aren't star players I think it highlights you can bring in some quality additions that add some value to the group.

It would be great to land a truly great player but we can also look a variety of other players who can improve our playing list.

The Underdog
25-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Just one from left field. What about someone like Jordan Roughead?

He could slot in for our captain.

I’ve been told he is a good club man, someone I think our guys would love in the team.

I don't know, last time I watched him play, Sam Reid from the Swans was kicking his arse.
We've got plenty of guys who can do that already....

G-Mo77
25-05-2019, 09:36 AM
I don't know, last time I watched him play, Sam Reid from the Swans was kicking his arse.
We've got plenty of guys who can do that already....

I think you'll find he played on Buddy most of the night.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2019, 10:10 AM
I've had a quick look at some of the playing lists and I think we will struggle to get a big name unless we throw big bucks at someone and even then it might still be a wasted endeavor
I think we do have just enough quality players so perhaps a better strategy is to look at either younger players interstate or more role players who are struggling to get games. They would be more likely to look at coming to us.

Would someone like Josh Jenkins be worth a look at? He's got some faults but he can kick goals and provide a decent support ruckman.
Someone mentioned Dougal Howard from Port as well and he might be worth a look at given he could play forward or back
Could we make a play for Darcy Tucker from Fremantle who could add to our midfield depth?

Players like Lloyd, Trengove and Crozier have added something positive to the side and while they aren't star players I think it highlights you can bring in some quality additions that add some value to the group.

It would be great to land a truly great player but we can also look a variety of other players who can improve our playing list.

Perhaps we could develop some indig talent, and invest in strengthening that pathway. Certainly requires a lot of money and effort.

The Underdog
25-05-2019, 11:17 AM
I guess he’d been moved onto Reid then when I was watching.

westbulldog
25-05-2019, 12:42 PM
Contract issues aside I would be looking at Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich, Tim Kelly, Alex Keath and Daniel McStay. A no to Whitfield and Papley.

lemmon
25-05-2019, 02:55 PM

Howard's really highly rated by Port, he'd be a difficult one to extract. I wonder whether Clurey might be more gettable? Victorian boy and a pretty decent stopper.

Happy Days
26-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Limiting the focus to guys out of contract, I really think Alex Keath is the one. He's going to be far more gettable than the Port guys (Clurey is a vice captain and contracted until 2023 (!!!) and as lem said Howard is very highly thought of) and perhaps still has a bit of stigma about his late entry to the league around him. Tomlinson is also worth a shout but he's only one year younger than Keath, who is looking a far better player.

Otherwise I think the need for a second forward is obvious, if for no other reason than to stop Bevo from playing Bont there. I'm pretty partial to a mid-sizer rather than an out-and-out KPF so I'd look at narrowing our focus to Billings and Keays from Brisbane. Billings is obviously a better player but would cost far more in terms of dollars and assets, whereas I'm pretty sure any serious offer would net us Keays; he's kicking a minimum of 3 goals a week in the NEAFL (I know) but can't seem to crack it ahead of Lincoln McCarthy for what I assume must be Lachie Neale-related reasons.

If we do decide on a KPF then Larkey from North is who I'd look at the longest. Struggles to get consistently involved but has pretty good hands, can ruck a little bit and is a total dead-eye.

lemmon
26-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Speaking of lesser lights who might be worth a crack - what about Josh Bruce? Proven goal kicker and mature body that would help out Naughton. He is contracted to the end of 2020 though.

Max King has looked brilliant in his first few VFL games, hard for the Saints to play them both in the same forward line along with Membrey, so they may be willing to chat.

GVGjr
26-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Speaking of lesser lights who might be worth a crack - what about Josh Bruce? Proven goal kicker and mature body that would help out Naughton. He is contracted to the end of 2020 though.

Max King has looked brilliant in his first few VFL games, hard for the Saints to play them both in the same forward line along with Membrey, so they may be willing to chat.

With doubts on McCartin's health I think Bruce would be off limits as a trade. Come the end of 2020 things will be a lot clearer for them