PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors Rnd 10, 2019 vs North Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-05-2019, 02:44 PM
This is the round 10, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
25-05-2019, 05:07 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
25-05-2019, 05:49 PM
B

Smith looks the goods again
Lloyd worked hard all day
Bruise free footy surely means no ice baths. That's a bonus

A

No Schache or Young. When we needed the second tall forward we were just moving pieces around. We went too small and when Naughton is quiet, we struggle somewhat.
Moving kids around to excess. Lippa, Williams, Richards all look a bit confused by what's meant to do. Same for Webb.
Umpiring was very dubious. But you win some, lose some.
Three losses at our home ground to GCS, Carlton & North. This season could've been something great, now it's nothing too much different than the last two.

bornadog
25-05-2019, 06:50 PM
Bankers

1. English two goals
2. Cordy being thrown into the ruck and made a contest of it
3. Sucklings brilliant goal from the 50 metre boundary

Anchors

1. The dropped easy marks by Dale and Richards
2. AFL - the umpires are CHEATS and I can name a dozen incidents, but the real killer was in the first when North player swung his foot and missed the ball, and then North goaled.
3. Us supporters - we overate our players - some are just not good enough

westbulldog
25-05-2019, 06:51 PM
B
Smith
Dunkley
--------

A
Ruck - Goldstein 57 hit outs to our total of 15
Umpire No' 13 Nick Browne, any review must see him dropped.
Given our performances, it is becoming evident that the coaching staff need to be looked at

Mantis
25-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Bankers

1. English two goals
2. Cordy being thrown into the ruck and made a contest of it
3. Sucklings brilliant goal from the 50 metre boundary

Anchors

1. The dropped easy marks by Dale and Richards
2. AFL - the umpires are CHEATS and I can name a dozen incidents, but the real killer was in the first when North player swung his foot and missed the ball, and then North goaled.
3. Us supporters - we overate our players - some are just not good enough

Which ones?

Remi Moses
25-05-2019, 06:57 PM
1- Bailey smith was outstanding
2- 15 min of footy
3- I can’t think of one

A- The lack of effort and intensity , totally unacceptable
- The turnover goals , at one stage it was 12 from 16 goals . That is purely pathetic
- The dropped marks . Just shithouse

Eastdog
25-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Bankers:

1. Lloyd influence up forward good
2. Libbas goal on 3qtr time siren which I thought gave us confidence in the start of the last
3. Bailey Smith - big career coming up

Anchors:
1. The 2 HTB decisions the umpires didn’t pay us - all of us supporters booing and rightly so
2. Our final quarter fade out in the end - extremely dissapointing
3. Out ruck situation - cannot be too hard on Tim English - still young but need something in the meantime to help Tim out.

Eastdog
25-05-2019, 09:37 PM
- The dropped marks . Just shithouse

Yep they needed to do better. Just have to hold that footy.

Ozza
25-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Bankers:

Dunks - 20 contested...takes the marks he should take, makes the tackles he should make.
Bont - just a huge difference when played as a mid. The calls to make him predominently a forward are wrong. He's too good to not be midfield as much as possible.
Cordy - attack on the ball and man is outstanding.

Anchors:

Daniel - what is he DOING kicking on his left unnecessarily on a kick in. Does some brilliant things - but gives up at least one goa directly each week.
Trengove - what is he DOING kicking across the ground to centre half back to Richards v 3 players. Know your limitations. And throw in the holding and pushing frees. Really poor day.
Richards - can not get a kick. Drop three marks. I'd prefer Gowers deep forward flying for marks and being a legitimate chance to take one or bring the footy to the ground.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-05-2019, 12:56 AM
Bankers
1. Bont. He tore the game a new one in the 4th. We had ZERO entitlement to having any claim to victory, except for the fact he imposed himself. We need him as a pure mid.
2. Cordy. Mr Fixit. English got owned. Cordy despite significant height difference negated Goldstein's influence - which was huge.
3. Crozier. Really comfortable in his skin now down back. Even impacted when thrown to half forward late in the game.

Anchors
1. Ed Richards. His worst game by a fair margin.
2. Macrae - his worst game in a long, long time. Had no positive impact with ball, and was ordinary in stopping his opponents
3. Trengove. I don't care that Sideshow Ben Brown feigns for free kicks. Trengove continually gifted him and others unnecessary free's. And that kick across ground...... don't even..... that was just woeful.

Ozza
26-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Bankers
1. Bont. He tore the game a new one in the 4th. We had ZERO entitlement to having any claim to victory, except for the fact he imposed himself. We need him as a pure mid.
2. Cordy. Mr Fixit. English got owned. Cordy despite significant height difference negated Goldstein's influence - which was huge.
3. Crozier. Really comfortable in his skin now down back. Even impacted when thrown to half forward late in the game.

Anchors
1. Ed Richards. His worst game by a fair margin.
2. Macrae - his worst game in a long, long time. Had no positive impact with ball, and was ordinary in stopping his opponents
3. Trengove. I don't care that Sideshow Ben Brown feigns for free kicks. Trengove continually gifted him and others unnecessary free's. And that kick across ground...... don't even..... that was just woeful.

Was played out of position as a half forward for a big portion on the day. Went at 81% which I'd hazard a guess was in our top 3 or 4, and was one of few to hit up targets inside 50. Completely baffled as to what teh coach did with him for the day, and I think he was fine given he was partly coached out of it.

azabob
26-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Was played out of position as a half forward for a big portion on the day. Went at 81% which I'd hazard a guess was in our top 3 or 4, and was one of few to hit up targets inside 50. Completely baffled as to what teh coach did with him for the day, and I think he was fine given he was partly coached out of it.

Yep. Very odd seeing Jack spend so much inside F50.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2019, 06:49 PM

'Decoy Forward' with no Gowers is the most logical answer. And it's not very logical. Putting a guy forward (out of position) who virtually refuses to kick goals/take shots is not cutting edge radical coaching. It should be the basis of a 'please explain' by Grant. At what point does this 'cry for help' season get some intervention?

Happy Days
26-05-2019, 06:54 PM
'Decoy Forward' with no Gowers is the most logical answer. And it's not very logical. Putting a guy forward (out of position) who virtually refuses to kick goals/take shots is not cutting edge radical coaching. It should be the basis of a 'please explain' by Grant. At what point does this 'cry for help' season get some intervention?

I really think we're overthinking our forward set-up for the want of a second tall/target. Our strength is our midfield and we look FAR more likely to score with our lead horses around the ball. Start there and build the rest around them, do not rely on their talent to make a shaky facet of our game better.

I don't want Bont anywhere but on the ball for the rest of the year.

The bulldog tragician
26-05-2019, 06:55 PM

How on earth does that make us better? Genuine question, some of the tactics really confuse me, it would be good if there was some sort of explanation because having a quality mid like Jackson languishing on the forward line is bewildering.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2019, 07:13 PM
I really think we're overthinking our forward set-up for the want of a second tall/target. Our strength is our midfield and we look FAR more likely to score with our lead horses around the ball. Start there and build the rest around them, do not rely on their talent to make a shaky facet of our game better.

I don't want Bont anywhere but on the ball for the rest of the year.

And the reverse is an issue. Bont, Macrae, Dunk's, Libba, Hunter, McLean, Wallis (7) can all take the inside midfield (Hunter lesser). Yet we force a daring half back (Webb) to waste away as an inside midfielder, we need a forward who kicks straight so we're making Lippa an inside mid too. And transitioning Williams into one too.

We have too many inside mids, so we are making more inside mids!! And wonder what do with too many mids!! (Play them forward). With player development in the cases above is stagnating at best. The skills they have, which we need (run, rebound, forward skill) are being wasted away.

I don't drink too heavily these days, but I do recall heavily drinking, to much intoxication and being told I need to go lay down (or something like that). Then responding, 'no I need another drink, that's the issue' (or something like that). My observation is that we have a problem of our own making, and our response is to do more. I conclude I don't see it working, this season being gone and another trade period of good players taking less money to play not with us.

azabob
26-05-2019, 09:32 PM
How on earth does that make us better? Genuine question, some of the tactics really confuse me, it would be good if there was some sort of explanation because having a quality mid like Jackson languishing on the forward line is bewildering.

Your not on your own there, it’s fair to say majority of the board is confused with what has transpired over the past 30 months.

bornadog
26-05-2019, 11:39 PM
Your not on your own there, it’s fair to say majority of the board is confused with what has transpired over the past 30 months.

I am in the minority.

bornadog
26-05-2019, 11:41 PM

Macrae was well down yesterday, and I think he was being tagged out of the game and couldn't shake it. Often coaches will move players to try and shake the tag.

ratsmac
27-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Bankers.
1. Bont setting the game alight in the 4th. Went into beast mode. Awesome to watch.

2. Cordy move to the ruck. Well done Bevo and well done Cordy for doing it for the team. I thought it was a strange move but it almost paid off. It definitely took Goldy by surprise a bit.

3. Libba chase down of Pittard. Never gave up and should of been rewarded the free. It was criminal not to pay it. Maybe Pittard didn't have enough prior opportunity.

4. Bailey Smith going at 91% DE. He could be the best player in the comp one day.

Anchors

1. Umps non calls that cost us goals just like last week. How unlucky are we that they result in direct goals as well ffs.

2. Richards. Time has run out for him I'm afraid. Needs to find form at Footscray. His hands are like planks of wood right now.

3. Gowers..... Oh wait, sorry old habits.
Bevo. No seemingly apparent efforts to stop Cunners and Higgins when they were running riot. Bevo doesn't like a negative role for his players but a negative role is positive if it stops the opposition winning!

azabob
27-05-2019, 08:29 PM
I am in the minority.

Can you explain to me what’s happened? Why has our effort and consistency been so poor? 2015 & 2016 we knew we’d give a 100%. Age wasn’t an excuse, injuries wasn’t an excuse.

GVGjr
27-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Can you explain to me what’s happened? Why has our effort and consistency been so poor? 2015 & 2016 we knew we’d give a 100%. Age wasn’t an excuse, injuries wasn’t an excuse.

Age, inexperience and injuries are rarely an accurate excuse. A convenient one but not an accurate one

ratsmac
27-05-2019, 09:24 PM

Leadership.

Murphy and Matty Boyd we terrific leaders around the club that would drive the players and they were well respected by the group. Their absence has been greatly missed imo.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-05-2019, 11:06 PM
Leadership.

Murphy and Matty Boyd we terrific leaders around the club that would drive the players and they were well respected by the group. Their absence has been greatly missed imo.
An excellent point. I would add also Picken and Morris to the list. It would appear that we sadly lack on field leadership.
The four players referred to were inspirational. This is probably our biggest crisis. Roughead was also inspirational in our Premiership win after coming back from a serious eye injury in the Preliminary final. It is not something we can fix overnight. Maybe Wood is feeling the lack of support given his indifferent form