PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Westernbulldogs Ryan Gardner

bornadog
27-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Pick 6 in mid season draft

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Hero/2017_HERO/MidSeasonDraft-Hero-ART.jpg

bornadog
27-05-2019, 07:54 PM
The Western Bulldogs have selected Ryan Gardner with pick six in the 2019 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

A 21-year-old key position player, Gardner has plied his trade for Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL this season.

Standing at 197-centimetres tall, the Tasmanian product has filled a variety of roles at VFL level in 2019.

Known for his competitiveness, athleticism and versatility, Gardner has impressed in his appearances for Footscray.

He kicked eight goals in his first three matches this season, and has also spent time in defence and in the ruck.

Prior to that, he spent three years on Geelong’s list without playing an AFL game, after being drafted with pick 59 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft.

He was a durable performer for the Cats at VFL level, playing 52 games between 2016 and 2018.

ratsmac
27-05-2019, 07:56 PM
Welcome Ryan.

Some much needed height that's for sure. I've seen nothing of him, hopefully he can play.

Twodogs
27-05-2019, 08:05 PM
I wonder if Ryan has ever thought about playing on the wing before?

Mofra
27-05-2019, 08:07 PM
Happy to add to our KPP options, seems to have a bit of mobility about him for his size.

Only 21 so plenty of development left. The last tall delisted player we took from Geelong ended up serving us well.

Eastdog
27-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Ryan! Good luck!

kruder
27-05-2019, 08:20 PM
We needed a tall and got one nice work. Keep it simple for the kid, its either Forward or Defence for the rest of the year, lets give him every chance to make it.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2019, 08:21 PM
As long as he's not called Bailey. Welcome Ryan.

bornadog
28-05-2019, 12:06 AM
We needed a tall and got one nice work. Keep it simple for the kid, its either Forward or Defence for the rest of the year, lets give him every chance to make it.

or ruck :D

boydogs
28-05-2019, 01:30 AM
Welcome to Full Forward son :)

Scraggers
28-05-2019, 01:38 AM
Nickname is Plugga ... hope he kicks goals like him.

bornadog
28-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Takes on Number 43 (Redpath's old number)

Bulldog4life
28-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Nickname is Plugga ... hope he kicks goals like him.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/cat-in-a-flap-as-he-loses-big-bet-to-mate

GEELONG skipper Joel Selwood has taken it upon himself to try and dig teammate Jake Kolodjashnij out of trouble after a costly bet came to fruition on Saturday.

Kolodjashnij agreed to pay for the end-of-season trip flights for Ryan Gardner if the defender-turned-forward kicked six goals against Northern Blues in the VFL.

After taking on the nickname of 'Plugger' since his move forward in the past fortnight, Gardner will soon be laughing all the way to the USA.

"It wasn't a great week for Kolodjashnij to give him a little dig and say, 'If you kick six goals, I'll pay for your flights to USA'," defender Zach Tuohy told the club's website.

"I'm sure it's one of those, 'Of course he's not going to do it'."

"We come in after the Gold Coast (AFL) game and written up on the whiteboard is 'Plugger Gardner six goals' and you could see Kola's face just go white.

"Not the week to mock your teammate but he's out of pocket, Kola."

Gardner entered the final term of the 70-point VFL win with four majors to his name, kicking his fifth at the 10-minute mark before landing number six with less than five minutes on the clock.

"Joel Selwood's talked about passing the hat around for poor old Kola because he's made the big call he'll pay for his (Gardner's) trip away if he kicked six," coach Chris Scott said on Thursday.

"I think Jake's on reasonable money, but that's going to hurt him a little bit."

Gardner's freedom in attack could be hampered with last week's AFL travelling emergency Stewart Crameri set to resume in the VFL on Saturday, with no changes expected for the senior side.

westdog54
29-05-2019, 12:59 AM
Gardner goes from draftee to debutant (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-28/gardner-goes-from-draftee-to-debutant)

Ryan Gardner will make his AFL debut for the Western Bulldogs on Sunday, against the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium.

It’s been a whirlwind first 24-hours as an AFL draftee for the 21-year-old, 197-centimetre key position player, who was recruited by the Bulldogs with pick six in the 2019 NAB AFL Mid-Season Draft.

After selecting Gardner on Monday night, Dogs’ General Manager of List and recruiting, Sam Power, said the new recruit was ‘physically ready’.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge waited no longer than Gardner’s first official AFL team meeting on Tuesday afternoon to break the news to the players that he would immediately make his debut.

He will receive his opportunity in a tough first-up challenge, against the reigning premiers on their home turf this Sunday.

Gardner had spent the first half of 2019 on Footscray’s VFL list, spending time at both ends of the ground and pinch-hitting in the ruck.

Prior to joining the Bulldogs, he spent three years at Geelong (2016-2018) without making an AFL appearance.

The Bulldogs will name a 26-player squad for the trip to Perth on Thursday night, which will be reduced to a 22-player team on Friday.

There's a video on the page with Ryan calling his Dad, telling him to book flights to Perth.

Ryan is currently epitomising the phrase "A Week is a long time in football".

Ghost Dog
29-05-2019, 01:11 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/cat-in-a-flap-as-he-loses-big-bet-to-mate

GEELONG skipper Joel Selwood has taken it upon himself to try and dig teammate Jake Kolodjashnij out of trouble after a costly bet came to fruition on Saturday.

Kolodjashnij agreed to pay for the end-of-season trip flights for Ryan Gardner if the defender-turned-forward kicked six goals against Northern Blues in the VFL.

After taking on the nickname of 'Plugger' since his move forward in the past fortnight, Gardner will soon be laughing all the way to the USA.

"It wasn't a great week for Kolodjashnij to give him a little dig and say, 'If you kick six goals, I'll pay for your flights to USA'," defender Zach Tuohy told the club's website.

"I'm sure it's one of those, 'Of course he's not going to do it'."

"We come in after the Gold Coast (AFL) game and written up on the whiteboard is 'Plugger Gardner six goals' and you could see Kola's face just go white.

"Not the week to mock your teammate but he's out of pocket, Kola."

Gardner entered the final term of the 70-point VFL win with four majors to his name, kicking his fifth at the 10-minute mark before landing number six with less than five minutes on the clock.

"Joel Selwood's talked about passing the hat around for poor old Kola because he's made the big call he'll pay for his (Gardner's) trip away if he kicked six," coach Chris Scott said on Thursday.

"I think Jake's on reasonable money, but that's going to hurt him a little bit."

Gardner's freedom in attack could be hampered with last week's AFL travelling emergency Stewart Crameri set to resume in the VFL on Saturday, with no changes expected for the senior side.

And here comes our new key forward ( rubs hands ). Welcome plugger.
Oh poor Geelong players, out of pocket boo hoo. They have that much lying around in their ashtrays.

The Adelaide Connection
29-05-2019, 08:29 AM
I am all for throwing him in, but I am staggered we showed our hand so early.

Teams analyse opposition players to the nth degree but West Coast would not have been expecting Gardner nor would have they given their forwards/defenders any vision of him. Now we have given them a few days to find vision and get them up to speed. It feels like an amateurish and dum call to me.

Why not tell him privately and bury the footage till later? Spring him as a late in from the emergencies and give WC no time to adjust. In a environment where teams are looking for every tiny competitive advantage this is an instance where we could have pulled a really big rabbit out of the hat and maybe through mismatches gained a little bit of an edge.

Mantis
29-05-2019, 09:15 AM
In the space of a few days he goes from having 3 touches in a VFL game, to being drafted, to being told he's making his debut... Footy is a funny game.

Wish him well.

Bevo = no GrubGrubGrubGrubs are given!

mjp
29-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Teams analyse opposition players to the nth degree but West Coast would not have been expecting Gardner nor would have they given their forwards/defenders any vision of him. Now we have given them a few days to find vision and get them up to speed. It feels like an amateurish and dum call to me.

Well, they do...but honestly all of the VFL vision is online, all of the champion data files are online...pulling up his last 6 weeks of footy will take about 30 minutes (and I doubt they will pull up much more than his past two).

They will spend time on Bont, Naughton etc as a team but this is a bit of a non-issue.

bulldogtragic
17-10-2019, 09:46 PM
With Bruce & Keath, is there a need to keep him around? I personally don't see him getting a game next year or beyond.

Happy Days
17-10-2019, 11:00 PM
With Bruce & Keath, is there a need to keep him around? I personally don't see him getting a game next year or beyond.

He was really really really bad when he played this year. Respect to him for making it happen but there's no need to keep him on either list.

jeemak
18-10-2019, 02:13 AM
He was really really really bad when he played this year. Respect to him for making it happen but there's no need to keep him on either list.

So was the team at that point.

If he costs nothing then put him somewhere at virtually no cost and we don't lose. He either gets better or he doesn't and we can move on later.

It's really tough making a jump from reserves footy to senior footy, and for some players it takes more time. I don't think enough of us respect how difficult it is irrespective of whether the jump is being made from ammos div 2 to ammos div 1, or anything like VFL to AFL.

The fact is he played AFL footy last year, it's stupid to think it happened only because Bevo and others wanted to prove a point.

Topdog
18-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Even without Bruce and Keith I didnt believe there was a point to keeping him around.

Mofra
18-10-2019, 11:29 AM
So was the team at that point.

If he costs nothing then put him somewhere at virtually no cost and we don't lose. He either gets better or he doesn't and we can move on later.

It's really tough making a jump from reserves footy to senior footy, and for some players it takes more time. I don't think enough of us respect how difficult it is irrespective of whether the jump is being made from ammos div 2 to ammos div 1, or anything like VFL to AFL.

The fact is he played AFL footy last year, it's stupid to think it happened only because Bevo and others wanted to prove a point.
TBH I don't see him as a forward at AFL level so he went from VFL swingman to AFL forward which is tough for the best players to do, let alone a mid season rookie.

If he is to be given another chance it simply has to be as a KPD.

hujsh
07-09-2020, 12:47 PM
So what's the feeling around him now that he's got a few games under his belt.

I was thinking last night he doesn't seem lost at sea like he did previously and it seems to be a general consensus as far as I can tell. So I figured it was worth looking at him specifically.

What's he capable of? Is his ceiling still mediocre? Is he depth at best? Or could he actually play an AFL best 22 role as a key defender now that he's settled?

Looking more structurally does his inclusion allow someone like Cordy to play a more natural role as 3rd tall defender?

GVGjr
07-09-2020, 12:52 PM
He's still got a long way to go but has the athletic traits that the MC wants so I'd stay the course with him
Worth a spot on the list as it stands

bornadog
07-09-2020, 01:19 PM

I was thinking last night he doesn't seem lost at sea like he did previously and it seems to be a general consensus as far as I can tell. So I figured it was worth looking at him specifically.

What's he capable of? Is his ceiling still mediocre? Is he depth at best? Or could he actually play an AFL best 22 role as a key defender now that he's settled?

Looking more structurally does his inclusion allow someone like Cordy to play a more natural role as 3rd tall defender?

He has just turned 23 and has played 9 games of footy. I think he can improve further as his confidence builds up. At this stage I still don't see him as best 22, but I am open to see what he can do. Cordy is best suited as the 3rd tall, and Gardner has allowed this to happen.

Doc26
07-09-2020, 02:00 PM

There are signs of development, which in an environment where coaching is constrained is quite a positive. And although there were some gettable misses, we've been put to the sword on numerous times in the past by the Eagles tall forwards which I felt we more than evened this position last night. I was less nervous on the night with Gardner than I was with Zaine.

AshMac
07-09-2020, 02:10 PM

I too see positives in his development this year. He has shown a level of athleticism and competitiveness which has good signs. His decision making will improve over time and with experience.

The key thing I look for with ANY player early is the ability to continually improve and what we’re seeing is a guy getting a bet better, having a bit more of an impact each week.

comrade
07-09-2020, 02:12 PM
He's certainly not panicking with the ball in hands to the extent he was in his first few games. Fingers crossed he can finish the season strong and build on this base in 2021. We might have a footballer, yet.

Mofra
07-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Needs composure, but that that is building with each game.

Can kick the ball long and has good closing speed so I can see why the club are invested in him. He's a puncher not a marker and I wonder if marking will come with time, because if not he'll always be at threat of losing his spot.

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2020, 03:07 PM
I think Gardner has shown great improvement and appears to becoming more confident in his role.

He doesn't need to be a star, but he can be an important cog.

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Needs composure, but that that is building with each game.

Can kick the ball long and has good closing speed so I can see why the club are invested in him. He's a puncher not a marker and I wonder if marking will come with time, because if not he'll always be at threat of losing his spot.

We had a player a few years back who was almost invariable a spoiler. Somehow we swapped that player (Brian Harris) for someone called Brian Lake who was about the best marking defender in the game for a few years.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-09-2020, 03:11 PM
I said this a couple weeks ago, but he just needs to be that 1%er defender. Just create a contest and spoil. This will come from knowing where to be and getting in the right spots, which he has the speed to to do. I'm completely happy with that as we've got a tonne of rebounding defenders who are damaging with the ball.

bornadog
07-09-2020, 03:59 PM
There are signs of development, which in an environment where coaching is constrained is quite a positive. And although there were some gettable misses, we've been put to the sword on numerous times in the past by the Eagles tall forwards which I felt we more than evened this position last night. I was less nervous on the night with Gardner than I was with Zaine.

One thing in his favour and ours was we kept the ball outside of their Fwd 50 and starved their forwards of opportunity. They only had 27 inside 50s, they couldn't get it in there.

I think last night the commentators said the ball was in our half 65% of the game.

EasternWest
07-09-2020, 10:14 PM
One thing in his favour and ours was we kept the ball outside of their Fwd 50 and starved their forwards of opportunity. They only had 27 inside 50s, they couldn't get it in there.

I think last night the commentators said the ball was in our half 65% of the game.

So you're saying he's ok as long as he's nowhere near it? :)

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2020, 10:54 PM

Your defence always looks better when you defend the ball actually getting into dangerous areas. It is why the midfield doing their bit defensively is so important.

boydogs
07-09-2020, 11:26 PM
Coming from a long way back, still get the deer in the headlights feel from him, same with Roarke Smith

jeemak
08-09-2020, 01:04 AM
I'm really happy for him. I can actually imagine how a lack of confidence may have ruined him last year and this year but he's actually seemed to ignore that to the best of his ability (trust me, pretty much all players have it) and kept improving.

Won't say the coaching group has been vindicated as such, however, I will say they're obviously getting him in the right frame of mind for improvement and that is a good thing.

Scraggers
08-09-2020, 02:22 AM
I think he played a significant role yesterday on two in-form forwards. We kept Kennedy and Darling to two goals only ... he played his part and did it well. He will only ever be a bit player, but as long as he does his bit well, he can stay in the 22.

Vred
08-09-2020, 08:08 AM
With the dogs set to pick up Cody Raak during the draft, I see both Gardner and Raak playing a very similar role. Question is, who’s worth of that spot in the long run.

Bulldog4life
08-09-2020, 09:00 AM
We had a player a few years back who was almost invariable a spoiler. Somehow we swapped that player (Brian Harris) for someone called Brian Lake who was about the best marking defender in the game for a few years.

Thinking the same thing BJ.

Bulldog4life
08-09-2020, 09:07 AM
With the dogs set to pick up Cody Raak during the draft, I see both Gardner and Raak playing a very similar role. Question is, who’s worth of that spot in the long run.

Gardner is 197cm from what I have read Raak is 191 to 192m

azabob
08-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Gardner is 197cm from what I have read Raak is 191 to 192m

Gosh I hope we draft Raak so we can have heated and meaningless debates around his draft height, listed height and current height!

I just read he is 194cm.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/441453/why-shutdown-draft-zone-worked-out-well-for-academy-bomber

The Doctor
08-09-2020, 09:36 AM
There is no certainty that we will pick up Raak. He hasn't been invited to the draft camp.

Mofra
08-09-2020, 09:38 AM
Raak is an undrafted kid - he's not going to walk in his first year and compete with a 197cm KPD with a few pre-seasons under his belt and (presumably) 10-12 games of experience.

Axe Man
08-09-2020, 10:31 AM
Gosh I hope we draft Raak so we can have heated and meaningless debates around his draft height, listed height and current height!

I just read he is 194cm.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/441453/why-shutdown-draft-zone-worked-out-well-for-academy-bomber

My neighbours aunties hairdressers mechanic saw Raak play once and reckons he's 193.5cm at the most.

bornadog
08-09-2020, 10:33 AM
My neighbours aunties hairdressers mechanic saw Raak play once and reckons he's 193.5cm at the most.

Depends how old he was as he is growing as he gets older.

Axe Man
08-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Depends how old he was as he is growing as he gets older.

I'm hoping to get to 6 feet tall by the time I retire. Progress has been slow the last 25 odd years.

merantau
09-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the belly laugh.

AshMac
23-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Here's an interesting one I thought... Was flicking through stats on the app and Gardner is 3rd in disposal efficiency. 3rd!

I know he gets it less than others and a lot of criticism has been on his positioning early but for a bloke who I was terrified to have holding the footy - he has actually been extremely efficient with it this year. 79%

Caleb Daniel (82%) and Bailey Williams (79%) both with nearly 5X the no. Of disposals

josie
23-09-2020, 10:51 PM
He is improving. Thought he was fine against Freo.

Hope he gains enough confidence to clunk a few marks rather than punching ball most times however understand that might come with time. Talia from Crows mostly punches ball away so perhaps that’s what MC wants for now.

At present I think Cordy is struggling a bit more.

Hopefully Gardner, Keath and Cordy are starting to gel well.

1eyedog
24-09-2020, 12:27 AM
Here's an interesting one I thought... Was flicking through stats on the app and Gardner is 3rd in disposal efficiency. 3rd!

I know he gets it less than others and a lot of criticism has been on his positioning early but for a bloke who I was terrified to have holding the footy - he has actually been extremely efficient with it this year. 79%

Caleb Daniel (82%) and Bailey Williams (79%) both with nearly 5X the no. Of disposals

He generally kicks the ball 15m sideways or backwards.

Bulldog4life
24-09-2020, 09:10 AM
He is improving. Thought he was fine against Freo.

Hope he gains enough confidence to clunk a few marks rather than punching ball most times however understand that might come with time. Talia from Crows mostly punches ball away so perhaps that’s what MC wants for now.

At present I think Cordy is struggling a bit more.

Hopefully Gardner, Keath and Cordy are starting to gel well.

When Brian Lake was Brian Harris he used to punch the ball a lot then later as he became more confident started going for the mark....and holding them.

AshMac
24-09-2020, 02:45 PM

True. He had roughly 50/50 split between handballs and kicks and granted he only had 62 disposals across 9 games which is difficult to compare him against his backline peers - my point was more how concerning it was watching him get the footy, when in reality he used it pretty well.

Fingers crossed he is a player that just continually gets better and better.

bornadog
24-09-2020, 04:35 PM
Ryan, you need to play the game of your life. Don't let us down.

hujsh
24-09-2020, 04:55 PM

Worked fine for Dale Morris. If he can be 90% of Morris as far as effort, heart and commitment goes with his athletic profile he should have a future as a lockdown defender.

josie
24-09-2020, 09:37 PM
When Brian Lake was Brian Harris he used to punch the ball a lot then later as he became more confident started going for the mark....and holding them.

Good recollection. Fingers crossed!! He was a bloody good mark. He and Naughton are best marks I’ve seen in my time following Dogs. (Grant could clunk ‘em sometimes and Johnno was great for his size too).

1eyedog
25-09-2020, 12:20 AM
Worked fine for Dale Morris. If he can be 90% of Morris as far as effort, heart and commitment goes with his athletic profile he should have a future as a lockdown defender.

100% agree.

SonofScray
25-09-2020, 09:16 AM
If everything else is the system is spinning freely, there's a role for him that he is capable in. Looked awful when things weren't quite right, but has since had some good moments without the footy and serviceable moments with the pill. He definitely can get up and spoil.

Credit to his resilllience.

If I am an opposition coach though, I'd be putting my most dynamic forward on him & piping as much footy down that funnel as possible. Gardner's career is about to be forged in fire I think. I am hopeful of recent improved performances being an indicator he will meet the task head on.

I had Hamling off the list mid way through 2016 after seeing him play down at Frankston. The backline has room for blokes who can hang in there, find their groove and play within their limitations. Somewhere between Hamling and Morris would be an extraordinary result for us.

Mofra
25-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Ditto Moz.
Players knowing their limitations isn't a bad thing. Ryan's kicking is normally pretty reliable but he doesn't use it as a weapon the way Caleb or Williams do.

Axe Man
25-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Ditto Moz.
Players knowing their limitations isn't a bad thing. Ryan's kicking is normally pretty reliable but he doesn't use it as a weapon the way Caleb or Williams do.

Would much prefer Ryan Gardner thinking he's Ryan Gardner than Billy Gowers thinking he's Caleb Daniel.

Mantis
25-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Ditto Moz.

Can someone tell Zaine to kick within his limitations? He thinks he kicks like Caleb Daniel, but it's more like Jayson Daniels!!

Ryan has certainly improved over the past month, but he has a long way to go to become a competent AFL player... hope he goes well as we need someone of his size to hold down a defensive post, but I'm a long way from sold that he is up to it at this stage.

dog town
25-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Can someone tell Zaine to kick within his limitations? He thinks he kicks like Caleb Daniel, but it's more like Jayson Daniels!!

Ryan has certainly improved over the past month, but he has a long way to go to become a competent AFL player... hope he goes well as we need someone of his size to hold down a defensive post, but I'm a long way from sold that he is up to it at this stage. Agree with this, much improved but he is doing the minimum of what you would expect. Hopefully he continues his progression.

I think he is playing with fire inside D50 by laying on the ball in contested situations. If we get the wrong umpire he is going to get pinged a couple of times a game.

SonofScray
25-09-2020, 05:58 PM

Ryan has certainly improved over the past month, but he has a long way to go to become a competent AFL player... hope he goes well as we need someone of his size to hold down a defensive post, but I'm a long way from sold that he is up to it at this stage.
Zaine's errors on the weekend were definitely fuelled by the Premiership CHF within trying to burst free. I have these experiences playing sport, especially ice hockey where I am a real meat and potatoes defender but every now and then I like to remind people that I can skate like the wind. Which I do, until I leave the puck behind and the goalie one out with their top scorer.

Dry Rot
25-09-2020, 10:08 PM
Zaine's errors on the weekend were definitely fuelled by the Premiership CHF within trying to burst free. I have these experiences playing sport, especially ice hockey where I am a real meat and potatoes defender but every now and then I like to remind people that I can skate like the wind. Which I do, until I leave the puck behind and the goalie one out with their top scorer.

Iced hockey looks like a terrifically legally violent sport. Is it good fun to play?

SonofScray
26-09-2020, 01:26 AM
Iced hockey looks like a terrifically legally violent sport. Is it good fun to play?
The best type of fun. It's actually really similar to footy, even if the mechanics are wildly different. Very physical, fast paced and humbling.

soupman
26-09-2020, 01:42 AM
I've played as well and it is a lot of fun. Probably the most exhausting sport I've played in that you are basically doing hill runs everytime you are on the rink, and the skills don't really come naturally to Australians, but theres a lot going and its very dynamic.

Go_Dogs
26-09-2020, 08:10 AM
Been good watching his improvement over the course of the year. He’s now confident in the contest, although can still get bodied a little too easily. When our team defence is working he’s a key part of that. The Hamling and perhaps Roberts comparisons are good ones. He will do a job for us with minimal fuss.

Kicking is not a feature and I get nervous when he gets the ball. Teammates look nervous too - don’t see many short spot up leads occurring. If he can find a runner near by or find a player close by in space by foot that’s a good result.

Bulldog4life
26-09-2020, 08:37 AM
The best type of fun. It's actually really similar to footy, even if the mechanics are wildly different. Very physical, fast paced and humbling.

SoS do you have those huge punch ons that you see over in Canada and the US?

Mantis
26-09-2020, 09:38 AM
Been good watching his improvement over the course of the year. He’s now confident in the contest, although can still get bodied a little too easily. When our team defence is working he’s a key part of that. The Hamling and perhaps Roberts comparisons are good ones. He will do a job for us with minimal fuss.

Kicking is not a feature and I get nervous when he gets the ball. Teammates look nervous too - don’t see many short spot up leads occurring. If he can find a runner near by or find a player close by in space by foot that’s a good result.

The Roberts comparison is reasonable, but he’s no where near as athletic or confident in the air as Hamling.

The kicking is an issue especially given he has other members of the defensive group who struggle in that area too.

SonofScray
26-09-2020, 09:52 AM

Not really, pretty tame on that front ! Though there some really dirty pricks out there.

Sounds stupid, but I think we could get a lot of the weak, off the ball, antagonistic Toby Greene type stuff out of the gameif there was a legitimate threat of a punch in the face. Good deterrent

Rocket Science
26-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Not really, pretty tame on that front ! Though there some really dirty pricks out there.

Sounds stupid, but I think we could get a lot of the weak, off the ball, antagonistic Toby Greene type stuff out of the gameif there was a legitimate threat of a punch in the face. Good deterrent

Long live the enforcer, they're all but extinct now even at NHL level.

Not sure who'd be our bad cop on the beat but we can make do with sick burns from Libba whenever some knob transgresses.

Out of curiosity SOS, who've you skated with as a player?

Bulldog Joe
26-09-2020, 09:11 PM
The Roberts comparison is reasonable, but he’s no where near as athletic or confident in the air as Hamling.

The kicking is an issue especially given he has other members of the defensive group who struggle in that area too.

Gardner is actually tracking well, but it is hard to compare to Rioberts and Hamling who just has a very short period of being really good for us.

Hamling was on the verge of being delisted about round 14 of 2016, but came to the fore in a magnificent final series.

Roberts only got into the side for the last 2 games because of injury.

Gardner has the athleticism and gets to contests to spoil. He also covers ground ball better than Roberts ever did.

Hopefully the recent improvement has given him the confidence to really shine in the weeks ahead.

Twodogs
26-09-2020, 10:34 PM

Playing indoor soccer earlier this year as the goalkeeper something came over me and rather than leaving one of the defenders to do the job I left the area to contest the ball with the 18 YO opposition gun player about 4 or 5 metres right in front of goal I vaguely remember thinking "WTF am I doing?" I then calmly stripped the ball off him, stepped around him and put it at the feet of one of our forwards. I'll never forget the look on his face. I'll never forget the look on everybody's face.

Used to have them playing cricket.

Twodogs
26-09-2020, 10:38 PM
Good recollection. Fingers crossed!! He was a bloody good mark. He and Naughton are best marks I’ve seen in my time following Dogs. (Grant could clunk ‘em sometimes and Johnno was great for his size too).

Kelvin Templeton was an unbelievably good mark. He'd take 15-20 contested marks a week at his peak.

josie
27-09-2020, 12:33 AM
Kelvin Templeton was an unbelievably good mark. He'd take 15-20 contested marks a week at his peak.

Would love to have seen KT play. Clearly woofers who saw him in full flight hold him as best or one of best they have seen play. Unfortunately I not follow footy much before the late ‘90’s.

SonofScray
27-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Long live the enforcer, they're all but extinct now even at NHL level.

Not sure who'd be our bad cop on the beat but we can make do with sick burns from Libba whenever some knob transgresses.

Out of curiosity SOS, who've you skated with as a player?
I've been playing with the Sharks IHC for the past 7 seasons, mostly in the thirds. Social leagues mid week is good too, find your yourself trying to keep up with blokes who have played in the AIHL or for the national squad at some point. The worst is the young fellas who are guns coming through though! Too quick for me.

Eastdog
28-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Would love to have seen KT play. Clearly woofers who saw him in full flight hold him as best or one of best they have seen play. Unfortunately I not follow footy much before the late ‘90’s.

Yeah as a younger woofer it is good to hear from woofers who watched these guys go around just describe how good they were. Would have been great to have watched Doug Hawkins go around.

GVGjr
28-09-2020, 12:39 PM
Yeah as a younger woofer it is good to hear from woofers who watched these guys go around just describe how good they were. Would have been great to have watched Doug Hawkins go around.

I might give this a crack in the next week.
My top 10 players from last century and the reasons why. Perhaps Twodogs and a few others could as well

KT would be right up there along with Bernie Quinlan, Brad Hardie and a few others

Axe Man
28-09-2020, 12:58 PM

I'll take "Things that never happened" for $500 Alex.

jeemak
28-09-2020, 01:06 PM

I think we can allow TD some artistic license when it comes to KT!

bornadog
28-09-2020, 01:14 PM

When KT kicked 15.9 v Saints, most of those were marks - well 16 marks to be exact

Twodogs
28-09-2020, 01:23 PM
I might give this a crack in the next week.
My top 10 players from last century and the reasons why. Perhaps Twodogs and a few others could as well

KT would be right up there along with Bernie Quinlan, Brad Hardie and a few others

Yep I'm in.

At his best, easily.

When KT kicked 15.9 v Saints, most of those were marks - well 16 marks to be exact

Yet AFtables only has him down for 16 that day.

Axe Man
28-09-2020, 01:24 PM

The umpires were quite liberal with their interpretation of a mark that day I believe.

SquirrelGrip
28-09-2020, 01:32 PM
The umpires were quite liberal with their interpretation of a mark that day I believe.

You be the judge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndV9_psfy0w

jeemak
28-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Crazy scenes with the crowd rushing the field.....and I don't reckon they'd let a police horse onto an AFL ground any more.

Twodogs
28-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Crazy scenes with the crowd rushing the field.....and I don't reckon they'd let a police horse onto an AFL ground any more.

Not just the crowd. One of the first on the scene is Don McKenzie the Footscray coach. He was there to tell KT that if he kicks the goal we break the record. No pressure son!

The police horse was easy enough to avoid. Only an idiot is going to run in front of a horse or a tank. But it happened at the end of every game I sent to until the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe not before the siren but as soon as the siren blew. If we were going to win it was nothing for the crowd to be waiting just the other side of the boundary line from time on in the last quarter.

It was a big thing to be first to put your foot in the middle of the ground.

Webby
28-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Mocca Dunstan has 36 touches and kicked 7 goals 3 from midfield. And was a distant second best on the field.

Twodogs
28-09-2020, 02:19 PM
Mocca Dunstan has 36 touches and kicked 7 goals 3 from midfield. And was a distant second best on the field.

He and KT both had 7 goals at 3/4 time. Don McKenzie told the players to help Templeton get 10 and Dunstan said "don't I get the chance to kick 10 too?" Sorry Mocca.

jeemak
28-09-2020, 03:47 PM
Not just the crowd. One of the first on the scene is Don McKenzie the Footscray coach. He was there to tell KT that if he kicks the goal we break the record. No pressure son!

The police horse was easy enough to avoid. Only an idiot is going to run in front of a horse or a tank. But it happened at the end of every game I sent to until the late 80s/early 90s. Maybe not before the siren but as soon as the siren blew. If we were going to win it was nothing for the crowd to be waiting just the other side of the boundary line from time on in the last quarter.

A mate of mine growing up used to take his footy boots to Waverly which was a five minute walk away and don them to make sure he had enough traction to try and win the race to the centre of the ground.

GVGjr
28-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Twodogs has overstated KT just a bit

BAD, have a look at the marks that were paid in the last quarter. At least 6 of them were the umpires willing him on more so than genuine marks. If they were granted to an opposition player then the umpire isn't making it out of the Western Oval

bornadog
28-09-2020, 03:48 PM

I was there, but didn't run onto the ground :D

Amazing day at the footy - KT was sensational. Looked up his record, took 19 marks in one game and had 32 disposals playing CHF

Smads57
28-09-2020, 06:22 PM
I almost missed the game - played in a local FDL reserves game earlier in the day and got to the ground at half time to catch up with the old man. Reckon I would have been spewing if I hadn't made the effort...and for what it's worth, I had Templeton's number on the back of my duffle coat.

I also got his autograph one day when he was working at Alexanders in Footscray - I really didn't need anything but knew he worked there so called in. From memory he was still a teenager, but he was my absolute fave player already.

azabob
28-09-2020, 06:28 PM
A mate of mine growing up used to take his footy boots to Waverly which was a five minute walk away and don them to make sure he had enough traction to try and win the race to the centre of the ground.

Have you dipped into the TD anecdote book?

hujsh
29-09-2020, 10:19 AM
Just catching up here. So the consensus is Ryan Gardiner is going to be the next Kelvin Templeton? Big call WOOF.

1eyedog
29-09-2020, 11:27 AM

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

In fairness to this thread though most discussions that start out talking about our key position stocks invariably end up finishing about how good Kelvin Templeton was.

Rocket Science
01-10-2020, 06:06 PM
I've been playing with the Sharks IHC for the past 7 seasons, mostly in the thirds. Social leagues mid week is good too, find your yourself trying to keep up with blokes who have played in the AIHL or for the national squad at some point. The worst is the young fellas who are guns coming through though! Too quick for me.

Fancy that. Good chance we've been teammates at some point! Wild.

Back on thread through, Plums needs to grow up quick this week, we'll need the game of his life against the King, Membrey, Marshall & Ryder combo.

Grantysghost
01-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Fancy that. Good chance we've been teammates at some point! Wild.

Back on thread through, Plums needs to grow up quick this week, we'll need the game of his life against the King, Membrey, Marshall & Ryder combo.

I'm a tad concerned plums will be exposed myself. But need to keep the faith he's been pretty solid of late.

Bulldog Joe
01-10-2020, 09:11 PM
I'm a tad concerned plums will be exposed myself. But need to keep the faith he's been pretty solid of late.

Have faith.

He has found his rhythm. Will do the job.

comrade
02-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Have faith.

He has found his rhythm. Will do the job.

I reckon he's a decent match up for Max King. For all the hype, King drops marks as soon as there is any pressure on him. As you said, Gardner has found some rhythm and has the ability to just do his job and halve contests.

Happy Days
02-10-2020, 10:19 AM
I reckon he's a decent match up for Max King. For all the hype, King drops marks as soon as there is any pressure on him. As you said, Gardner has found some rhythm and has the ability to just do his job and halve contests.

I'm happy that he's settled, but he's become whatever being the opposite of the victim of expectations is. He still goes to ground way too easily, still panics under high balls and is still shaky by foot. I know he's going to play and know he's going to play on King, but I'm worried he could end up on highlight reels for the next twenty years like those Crows defenders that tried to play on Buddy in 2007.

If he just sticks to basics as he has been we should be fine. Big if.

jazzadogs
02-10-2020, 10:33 AM
I'm happy that he's settled, but he's become whatever being the opposite of the victim of expectations is. He still goes to ground way too easily, still panics under high balls and is still shaky by foot. I know he's going to play and know he's going to play on King, but I'm worried he could end up on highlight reels for the next twenty years like those Crows defenders that tried to play on Buddy in 2007.

If he just sticks to basics as he has been we should be fine. Big if.

Or Morris/Lake that played on Buddy in the 08 QF. His 8 goals that night popped up as an AFL 'Big Bags' video on twitter today - I wasn't sure which of Buddy's big bags was going to be featured though, on or off field.

comrade
02-10-2020, 10:41 AM
If King does a Buddy and kicks 8 tomorrow, I will boil one of my old Dogs hats and stream myself eating it live.

bornadog
02-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Or Morris/Lake that played on Buddy in the 08 QF. His 8 goals that night popped up as an AFL 'Big Bags' video on twitter today - I wasn't sure which of Buddy's big bags was going to be featured though, on or off field.

As much as I love Morris, he was too short to play on Buddy and Rocket should never have played him there. He made a change after half time but the horse had bolted. I hated that game.

jazzadogs
02-10-2020, 10:45 AM
As much as I love Morris, he was too short to play on Buddy and Rocket should never have played him there. He made a change after half time but the horse had bolted. I hated that game.

One of the most demoralising nights at the footy that I can remember. Plenty of competition for bad losses, but the magnitude of that in a major final was significant.

bornadog
02-10-2020, 10:51 AM
If King does a Buddy and kicks 8 tomorrow, I will boil one of my old Dogs hats and stream myself eating it live.

Damo is on to it:

IF ...he hasn't yet kicked a bag in his very impressive 16 AFL matches ...
THEN ...what better time to do it than an elimination final? Max King,

SquirrelGrip
02-10-2020, 11:10 AM

I think Moz might have got one back on him...

https://youtu.be/0jyjenS-ctw

bornadog
02-10-2020, 11:28 AM
I think Moz might have got one back on him...

https://youtu.be/0jyjenS-ctw

Moz is one of my all time favourite defenders, but like Kretiuk, he was often asked to defend way out of his weight class - unfair, but we had little choice at times.

That is surely the tackle of the century.

jeemak
02-10-2020, 02:38 PM

What's to hate about a qualifying final where we decided not to show up? It's not like it started a trend or anything over that three year period...…..

The Adelaide Connection
02-10-2020, 07:56 PM
What's to hate about a qualifying final where we decided not to show up? It's not like it started a trend or anything over that three year period...…..

...and it’s not like our soon to be Brownlow medallist snapped his knee cap in half that night and was never really the same again (and post career would become a supporter of the Essington Spongefloors instead of us).

Yikes. ‘08 should really get closer to ‘97 and ‘09 levels of animosity.

Twodogs
02-10-2020, 08:04 PM

Kelvin Templeton could have played on Buddy.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2020, 10:44 PM
Assuming Gardner plays on King, I hope he plays him better than he did in R2. Allowed him easy access to jump at the ball and King has proven he's dangerous when he's allowed to run and jump.

bornadog
02-10-2020, 11:34 PM
Assuming Gardner plays on King, I hope he plays him better than he did in R2. Allowed him easy access to jump at the ball and King has proven he's dangerous when he's allowed to run and jump.

I still think Gardner is the biggest risk, and could be the weak link. Hope I am wrong.

ratsmac
03-10-2020, 11:27 AM
I still think Gardner is the biggest risk, and could be the weak link. Hope I am wrong.

We said the same things about Hamling and Fletcher coming into the 2016 finals series.

If we defend the whole ground well we should be able to help his cause. We can't let him be isolated 1 0n 1 too often having a third man up as much as possible. Easier said than done though. I'd say Kennedy and Darling are a scarier proposition than King and Membery and Gardner didn't get monstered too much that night. This is where we need English at his intercepting best. But in saying all that I know exactly what you mean.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 11:05 PM
I remember seeing him in 2019 and thinking he’d never make the grade. Certainly never be our Joel Hamling, ie the delisted Geelong KPD turned impactful defender. But he may well be. His development is paying way overs for a MSD Pick. He was without his senior KPD leader in Keath, so just he and Cordy to get the job done.

He was out Contested marking Dixon (who Jeemak can back me up, he’s a huge unit), his well timed spoiling, repelled I50 entries, got a vital touch on the goal line, competed the full game. Even the HTB against him looked like a trip on the replay. That extra bit of height, and athleticism (100% game time) with good defensive craft and development gives him something above the average league defender. Not going to be a high Disposal getter, but that’s not what he is. He’s a good old fashioned defender that does enough things well to help his team push for victory.

Good on you kid. You’re every chance to play in your first Grand Final.

macca
12-09-2021, 11:39 PM
I remember seeing him in 2019 and thinking he’d never make the grade. Certainly never be our Joel Hamling, ie the delisted Geelong KPD turned impactful defender. But he may well be. His development is paying way overs for a MSD Pick. He was without his senior KPD leader in Keath, so just he and Cordy to get the job done.

He was out Contested marking Dixon (who Jeemak can back me up, he’s a huge unit), his well timed spoiling, repelled I50 entries, got a vital touch on the goal line, competed the full game. Even the HTB against him looked like a trip on the replay. That extra bit of height, and athleticism (100% game time) with good defensive craft and development gives him something above the average league defender. Not going to be a high Disposal getter, but that’s not what he is. He’s a good old fashioned defender that does enough things well to help his team push for victory.

Good on you kid. You’re every chance to play in your first Grand Final.

there are some traits which he is elite in even though they are not fashionable or look flash

1. His strong and has massive endurance to be able to play the whole game out.
2. He has speed, as he always seems to be near his opponent
3. Good reader of the ball. His touch on the line shows his disciplined and good instinct to comeback to defend, but also he was quick enough to get back.

There is more upside to Gardner I sense. His got enormous self belief to get into the team from where his come from. A very good story.

Happy Days
13-09-2021, 01:01 AM
He's also seriously long, and times his spoils pretty well. He's still bang average one on one but there's a lot of forwards that he matches up well against, not least of which is that clownshoes in the #50 for the Dees.

bornadog
26-11-2021, 08:32 PM
Officially elevated to the main list

jeemak
26-11-2021, 08:36 PM
Deserved, and hopefully he can take another step forward and develop some more strength.

Grantysghost
26-11-2021, 08:36 PM
Officially elevated to the main list

I'm a little dumb (on most things) but was he not on the main list and if so can someone explain why / what's the breakdown eg was he a rookie.

Grantysghost
26-11-2021, 08:38 PM
Deserved, and hopefully he can take another step forward and develop some more strength.

Didnt you start a trade Gardner thread? :cool:

Twodogs
26-11-2021, 09:04 PM
I'm a little dumb (on most things) but was he not on the main list and if so can someone explain why / what's the breakdown eg was he a rookie.

He was taken in the MId season draft in 2019. I thought that midseason draft players went onto the main list so I'm surprised he was on the Rookie List.

Axe Man
26-11-2021, 10:47 PM
He was taken in the MId season draft in 2019. I thought that midseason draft players went onto the main list so I'm surprised he was on the Rookie List.

There’s a thread that would have prevented any surprise.

jeemak
27-11-2021, 11:44 PM
There’s a thread that would have prevented any surprise.

We can't even latch onto this and do the jokes anymore.....it's gone too far!

bornadog
01-04-2022, 11:31 AM
Ryan does alot of the little things that supporters don't notice. Saw these stats:

Most One % acts by a Bulldog player in a single game since the start of 2020.

20- Rd 8 Cordy 10
20- Rd 14 GARDNER 10
20- Rd 17 GARDNER 12
20- Rd 18 GARDNER 10
21- Rd 14 Cordy 11
21- Rd 14 Keath 10
21- Rd 15 GARDNER 11
21- Rd 20 Wood 10
21- EF Young 10
22- Rd 3 GARDNER 11

Mantis
01-04-2022, 11:36 AM
Ryan does a lot of the little things that supporters don't notice. Saw these stats:

20- Rd 8 Cordy 10
20- Rd 14 GARDNER 10
20- Rd 17 GARDNER 12
20- Rd 18 GARDNER 10
21- Rd 14 Cordy 11
21- Rd 14 Keath 10
21- Rd 15 GARDNER 11
21- Rd 20 Wood 10
21- EF Young 10
22- Rd 3 GARDNER 11

Give our supporters a bit of credit will you? Do you think we all sit there with our eyes closed?

bornadog
01-04-2022, 11:55 AM
Give our supporters a bit of credit will you? Do you think we all sit there with our eyes closed?

Many do

EasternWest
01-04-2022, 12:40 PM
Many do

Pretty boring game then.

Twodogs
01-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Pretty boring game then.

Lots of Sydney supporters at the game last night appeared to me not to be able to see anything but were jumping out of their seats yelling and carrying on. They looked like they were having a whale of a time.

SonofScray
01-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Many do

Its the blinding lights they are flashing. Not good for us one eyed doggies.

bornadog
01-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Pretty boring game then.

Sorry I don't understand the comment.

Edit : ok got it:D

1eyedog
01-04-2022, 04:49 PM
Its the blinding lights they are flashing. Not good for us one eyed doggies.

No good at all.

1eyedog
01-04-2022, 04:50 PM
Pretty boring game then.

Nah footy on the radio is retro as.

Ghost Dog
01-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Nah footy on the radio is retro as.

Agreed! I love radio footy.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2022, 01:30 PM
Eyes wide open, projecting my pride and prejudice :)

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2022, 01:31 PM
Agreed! I love radio footy.

On ABC.

jeemak
05-04-2022, 01:34 PM
Ryan does alot of the little things that supporters don't notice. Saw these stats:

20- Rd 8 Cordy 10
20- Rd 14 GARDNER 10
20- Rd 17 GARDNER 12
20- Rd 18 GARDNER 10
21- Rd 14 Cordy 11
21- Rd 14 Keath 10
21- Rd 15 GARDNER 11
21- Rd 20 Wood 10
21- EF Young 10
22- Rd 3 GARDNER 11

Keath aside, it's a genuine list of punching bags right there!

bornadog
07-04-2022, 01:10 PM
THE BULLDOGS DEFENDER WHO IS OWED AN APOLOGY (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/04/07/the-bulldogs-defender-who-is-owed-an-apology/)

Garry Lyon admits he may have underestimated Western Bulldogs defender Ryan Gardner.

To many footy critics, one of the Dogs’ major weaknesses in recent times has been the apparent lack of key defensive options.

Alex Keath is considered the club’s main tall in the backline with support from Zaine Cordy, who has also been tried forward, as well as Gardner, who has played 24 games since he was picked up in the 2019 mid-season draft.

At times Gardner has been harshly judged by outsiders looking in, but he has also mixed his form which resulted in his omission from last year’s Grand Final side after playing the Elimination, Semi and Preliminary Finals.

In the much-needed Round 3 win over Sydney this year, the 24-year-old delivered one of his best performances in Dogs colours which prompted an apology of sorts from Garry Lyon.

Speaking on SEN Breakfast, co-host Tim Watson alluded to the regretful acknowledgement of error.

Watson said: “You said to me this morning that you had an apology to make to somebody.

“Do you want to go ahead with it?”
Lyon replied: “I did, absolutely I did.

“It was to Ryan Gardner, the backman for the Bulldogs.

“He played a super game on Buddy Franklin and because the game was last Thursday, I never got to talk about it Friday. I meant to get to it on Monday and Tuesday and kept forgetting.

“I didn’t think he was capable of playing as well as he did.

“In the past I didn’t think he was the answer to their defence or didn’t think he was part of their best defensive setup. So, I apologise.”

Gardner, who was formally with Geelong without playing a senior game, has this year played in all three Dogs fixtures to date and will be next in action against Richmond at the MCG this Saturday night.

He leads the way at the Bulldogs in one percenters and is equal 10th in the league for spoils.

Axe Man
07-04-2022, 01:36 PM
He leads the way at the Bulldogs in one percenters and is equal 10th in the league for spoils.

Those are impressive stats. We have to remember he has only played 24 games. Hopefully he continues to learn and improve and as his confidence grows he backs himself to take more marks when in the right position.

Happy Days
07-04-2022, 01:43 PM
Yeah you could hear the contempt in the voices of ex KPFs in the media when they would talk about Gards, so I’m sure this is welcome news. He really has improved tremendously.

Grantysghost
07-04-2022, 02:26 PM
Yeah you could hear the contempt in the voices of ex KPFs in the media when they would talk about Gards, so I’m sure this is welcome news. He really has improved tremendously.

He copped it pretty hard in here too!

Happy Days
07-04-2022, 03:25 PM
Couldn’t have been me.

MrMahatma
07-04-2022, 10:49 PM
Those are impressive stats. We have to remember he has only played 24 games. Hopefully he continues to learn and improve and as his confidence grows he backs himself to take more marks when in the right position.

Yeah, 24 matches. He’s improved last year and seems this year so far also. No reason he can’t be a good player in another 30 games. Has a big weekend ahead!

bornadog
02-05-2022, 05:51 PM
Doing his job

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRuutaLVEAAa3cm?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
24-05-2022, 03:49 PM
Now sitting third for Spoils in AFL

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FTfYXkmagAACxaa?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
09-02-2023, 03:09 PM
Gardner signs for 3 more years.

https://youtu.be/hH-zCuEt0AI

bornadog
09-02-2023, 03:21 PM
Some highlights

https://youtu.be/p2ZPZIB-8k0

aker39
10-02-2023, 08:00 AM
https://megaphone.link/NTETP9854127801

The Doctor
10-02-2023, 08:32 AM
Gardner signs for 3 more years.

https://youtu.be/hH-zCuEt0AI

great news, well deserved.

MrMahatma
10-02-2023, 06:11 PM
Great to hear and very much well deserved. Good work, Gards!

Testekill
11-02-2023, 10:44 AM
Ryan has earned this extension.

Bulldog4life
12-02-2023, 12:33 PM
Congrats Ryan. Who would have thought early on in his career. Much improved.

bornadog
04-07-2023, 10:48 PM
50 Games up this Friday for Ryan

HOSE B ROMERO
05-07-2023, 07:20 PM
50 Games up this Friday for Ryan

Gives his all. Hope he has a good one and the supporters get behind him early.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-07-2023, 10:25 PM
Congrats Ryan. This has really crept up quickly. You play like a 100 game player and truely punching above our weight week to week.

Go out enjoy the 50th and hope. I see another 50 in quick succession

MrMahatma
05-07-2023, 10:38 PM
Well done Gards. Keep having a crack. We need you.

macca
05-07-2023, 11:01 PM
Gardner is a good story which I hope he can get to 100. His endurance helps us immensely as he can stay on ground for 100% of time.

I hope he regains his form and that intensity which glued him to fwds and his closing speed come back. He is very important piece of the puzzle.

The only thing that needs to improve in his game is his kicking and intercept marking, but that means he does not play within his limits. If he can achieve these 2 , he would be elite.