PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 14, Vs Collingwood

Scraggers
31-05-2019, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 13 match against Carlton for our Round 14, 2019 match against Collingwood at Marvel Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:53 PM
In: Hayes or Porter
Out: Libba

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:58 PM
In West and Schache
Out Libba and Gardner

Mantis
15-06-2019, 11:00 PM
Bailey Dale doesn’t play again.. he isn’t going to make it.

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 11:01 PM

Agreed ... I was just about to edit my post above, but you beat me to it.

Bullies
15-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Out : Libba, Gardner, Dickson

In: Richards, Schache, West

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 11:17 PM
In: Schache, Richards, Lewis Young

Out: Gardner, Dale, Cordy

I don't ever wanna see Dale "play" again. He's just totally unwilling to do anything that is not extrinsic to kicking or handballing.

Gardner ain't it. Cordy's credits have been used up and I can't really cop anyone kicking 7 goals.

bornadog
15-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Glad you see it now.

Out Libba, Gardner,Dale
in: Schache, West, Hayes

Bumper Bulldogs
15-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Silver lining with Libba is we really should get a look at West against the pies

Mantis
15-06-2019, 11:23 PM
Glad you see it now.

Out Libba, Gardner,Dale
in: Schache, West, Hayes

Hayes is on the never again list too.

And what should I have seen earlier?

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 11:25 PM

He certainly didn’t do anything today to warrant a promotion

Bullies
15-06-2019, 11:31 PM
Does Hayes get 2 years on the list or is it only Under 18 players that do?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 11:36 PM
Does Hayes get 2 years on the list or is it only Under 18 players that do?

2 years...

josie
15-06-2019, 11:46 PM
Out: Dale Libba Gardner Cordy

In: Roarke Smith West Schache Le Young

bornadog
15-06-2019, 11:49 PM

When I said Dale wasn't AFL standard, I recall a comment - all good, just happy you agree with me.

As for Hayes, you could be right, but I would like to give him a go at this level and not judge him on two games.

josie
15-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Out: Dale Libba Gardner Cordy

In: Roarke Smith West Schache Le Young

Should have added in out Bailey Williams and in Dureya or La Young

I know they will not make this many changes but seriously want Le Young, West and Scache in

bornadog
15-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Should have added in out Bailey Williams and in Dureya or La Young

I know they will not make this many changes but seriously want Le Young, West and Scache in

I forgot about Duryea, I did my ins and outs on the train.

For me scratch Hayes, Duryea must play

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 12:12 AM
As for Hayes, you could be right, but I would like to give him a go at this level and not judge him on two games.

He played 5 games straight

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 12:13 AM
In Richards, Duryea and Schache or Lewis Young
Outs Gardner, Liberatore and Dale

bornadog
16-06-2019, 12:15 AM

Stop spoiling a good argument :D

Hotdog60
16-06-2019, 08:24 AM

I like these changes but did Richards do enough in the two's for a recall?
He was good in a couple of quarters but faded once the game was well in hand.

Schache for Gardner
Lewis Young for Cordy
Duryea for Liberatore

Dale gets another week or that's it for the season unless he gives the match committee no option but to pick him.

G-Mo77
16-06-2019, 08:51 AM

I just listened to the press conference and Bevridge sounded like he was going to give Gardner more time. Makes sense to give him more time but looked completely lost last night.

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 09:23 AM
I just listened to the press conference and Bevridge sounded like he was going to give Gardner more time. Makes sense to give him more time but looked completely lost last night.

I guess it does, I'm just keen to get Schache back into the line-up and I think he would also be a better option for the rucking chop outs, I just don't now how we can maintain a player who had just one kick and two handballs

What concerned me with Gardner was he failed to make contact with his opponent in a few critical contests last night
The Kruezer goal from a snap was a critical lesson to learn for him but I don't think he did. He needs to play with a bit more vigour

Danjul
16-06-2019, 10:35 AM
I guess it does, I'm just keen to get Schache back into the line-up and I think he would also be a better option for the rucking chop outs, I just don't now how we can maintain a player who had just one kick and two handballs

What concerned me with Gardner was he failed to make contact with his opponent in a few critical contests last night
The Kruezer goal from a snap was a critical lesson to learn for him but I don't think he did. He needs to play with a bit more vigour

I could not believe that Gardner was used in the ruck against someone as experienced as Kruezer . That poor decision nearly cost the game.

I don’t want to see Schache in the ruck. He is tall but has never displayed ruck characteristics. But he should be in the team.

On the other hand I have been impressed by some of Young’s ruck work , he would be a sensible option for backup. And I cannot understand why he isn’t in the team. (Has he had less than one kick and two handballs?)

westbulldog
16-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Out: Dale (credits used up) Liberatore (inj) Gardner (not ready yet) Williams
In: West (what better time to give him a run, we aren't going to make the 8 anyway) Schache Lewis Young Richards

lemmon
16-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Out: Dale, Libba, Williams
In: Duryea, West, Richards

West to play forward and hopefully bring some forward pressure. Duryea slots into half back and Richards on a wing.

I'm in the give Gardner more time camp, purely because we need to see whether there's something worth persisting with into 2020. We know what he can do at VFL level, I think he gets a solid 5 week block to see whether we contract him further.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-06-2019, 12:46 PM
I'm in the give Garnder more time camp, purely because we need to see whether there's something worth persisting with into 2020. We know what he can do at VFL level, I think he gets a solid 5 week block to see whether we contract him further.

That’s a fair point. In my head I think it’s silly we’re developing him over Schache, but given the circumstances of his recruitment/contract we probably need to judge Gardner of a 5-6 week period. Personally I haven’t seen anything yet.

I’ll be frustrated if Lewis Young doesn’t come into the side to either support Cordy or for Cordy. I find it ridiculous that we aren’t pumping games into Young yet continue to put up with Cordys poor performances.

kruder
16-06-2019, 01:57 PM
Trengove on Cox or Grundy that's the interesting one this week. Love the idea of English resting forward with Trengove doing some grunt work but our defence has been bloody awful recently. Could we trust Le Young/ Cordy(one of the worst games I've seen in Bulldogs colours last night)on Cox? I'd actually prefer to see how Gardner would play in defence if he does get another chance, absolute craziness playing him in front of Josh atm.

Time to give Sweet a look maybe? Baptism of fire though.

Happy Days
16-06-2019, 02:16 PM
I’ll be frustrated if Lewis Young doesn’t come into the side to either support Cordy or for Cordy. I find it ridiculous that we aren’t pumping games into Young yet continue to put up with Cordys poor performances.

Yeah Young if nothing else looks more physically capable of playing on key forwards than Zaine right now. I'm pretty impressed with how much he has developed his physique in the past 12 months, and hopefully some increased strength will be matched by some increased footy smarts.

Twodogs
16-06-2019, 02:43 PM
When I said Dale wasn't AFL standard, I recall a comment - all good, just happy you agree with me.

Stop spoiling a good argument :D

And with irrefutable facts at that.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Yeah Young if nothing else looks more physically capable of playing on key forwards than Zaine right now. I'm pretty impressed with how much he has developed his physique in the past 12 months, and hopefully some increased strength will be matched by some increased footy smarts.

I have said it for a long time now, Cordy is not a KPP, and needs to take the third tall. As for Young, well he has been asked to go back to the VFL and work on certain things, and I think he is ready to come in.

As for Gardner, I was surprised we took him in the mid season draft. Maybe the recruiters see more in him than I do, or we were desperate for another tall

chef
16-06-2019, 05:30 PM
I have said it for a long time now, Cordy is not a KPP, and needs to take the third tall. As for Young, well he has been asked to go back to the VFL and work on certain things, and I think he is ready to come in.

As for Gardner, I was surprised we took him in the mid season draft. Maybe the recruiters see more in him than I do, or we were desperate for another tall

Is that the role Wood and Crozier do?

bornadog
16-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Is that the role Wood and Crozier do?

No - they are HBF

chef
16-06-2019, 05:37 PM
In: Schache, Duryea, Lewis Young, West

Out: Gardner, Dale, Cordy, Libba

chef
16-06-2019, 05:39 PM
No - they are HBF

So who currently takes the third tall?

I think one of Wood or Crozier does already and they are competent at doing it(the third tall defender usually is a HBF). I dont get the need to shoehorn Cordy into the team in a role hes not suited when he doesnt deserve to be in it.

mjp
16-06-2019, 07:56 PM
So who currently takes the third tall?

I think one of Wood or Crozier does already and they are competent at doing it(the third tall defender usually is a HBF). I dont get the need to shoehorn Cordy into the team in a role hes not suited when he doesnt deserve to be in it.

You are right. Cordy is a KPP. If he isn't a KPP at AFL level, then he is a KPP at VFL level.

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 08:30 PM
You are right. Cordy is a KPP. If he isn't a KPP at AFL level, then he is a KPP at VFL level.

Agreed, he has to play tall because he and the likes of Wood and Morris don't get enough of the ball and aren't good enough users to just sit on the flanks. We would have a very static back line

Pickenitup
16-06-2019, 10:03 PM
In Lewis Young Schache West
Out Dale Gardner Libba
Cordy gets another chance and with Young and Trengove down back won’t have to play tall.
I’d love Trengove In ruck and English playing forward more but we need Trengove on Cox.
This is a very winnable game this week .

mjp
16-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Can I do my weekly:

- Who do we shut down out of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Treloar and who does it?
- What are the defensive match-ups? De Goey and Stephenson need shut-downs.
- Who is assigned to make sure that Howe doesn't control the game??

jeemak
16-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Can I do my weekly:

- Who do we shut down out of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Treloar and who does it?
- What are the defensive match-ups? De Goey and Stephenson need shut-downs.
- Who is assigned to make sure that Howe doesn't control the game??

I'm only sure about the first of the midfield match-ups:

Macrae to Pendlebury
Duryea to Sidebottom
Head to head with/rotate through Treloar. I don't think we have anyone naturally capable of going with him for pace or running capability, it's concerning. So I guess we've got to try and hurt them through Bont and Dunks more than they can hurt us through him.

Wood to DeGoey, Crozier to Stephenson

The midfield and defencive carriers are in charge of making sure Howe doesn't control the game. Suckling has the tank and willingness to push each way quickly and regularly, perhaps he can help.

mjp
17-06-2019, 10:33 AM
I'm only sure about the first of the midfield match-ups:

Macrae to Pendlebury
Duryea to Sidebottom
Head to head with/rotate through Treloar. I don't think we have anyone naturally capable of going with him for pace or running capability, it's concerning. So I guess we've got to try and hurt them through Bont and Dunks more than they can hurt us through him.

Wood to DeGoey, Crozier to Stephenson

The midfield and defencive carriers are in charge of making sure Howe doesn't control the game. Suckling has the tank and willingness to push each way quickly and regularly, perhaps he can help.

I don't think we can (or should) tag them all...pick one out of Treloar, Pendlebury and Sidebottom...shut them down and live with the consequences of the other two.

Crozier seems to play his best 'high' and as an interceptor...Stephenson needs a HARD shutdown. Is Crozier right for that job?

Bullies
17-06-2019, 11:09 AM
I don't think we can (or should) tag them all...pick one out of Treloar, Pendlebury and Sidebottom...shut them down and live with the consequences of the other two.

Crozier seems to play his best 'high' and as an interceptor...Stephenson needs a HARD shutdown. Is Crozier right for that job? Sidebottom needs to be shut down. He does a lot of damage on the wing.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Crozier seems to play his best 'high' and as an interceptor...Stephenson needs a HARD shutdown. Is Crozier right for that job?

I would go with Treloar and try and curb his influence.

With Stephenson, he is almost 190cm and can also leap and take a good mark. I would back Wood to play on him.

Mantis
17-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Do we have anyone in our defence (Besides Trngove who is limited in the type of player he can stand) who has the ability to 'shut down' an opponent?

Bulldog4life
17-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Do we have anyone in our defence (Besides Trngove who is limited in the type of player he can stand) who has the ability to 'shut down' an opponent?

I thought Dureya was the type that could lock down on a small forward.

Ozza
17-06-2019, 11:25 AM

I don't fancy Crozier as a hard shut down. Think he goes to WHE. Bailey Williams possibly as Stephenson's match up. And before everyone says 'Stephenson is too quick for Williams'.....Stephenson is took quick for everyone in the league, but that doesn't mean you can't play him smartly and shut him down.

Trengove on Cox. Cordy on De Goey.

chef
17-06-2019, 11:27 AM
Cordy on De Geoy gives me shivers.

Ozza
17-06-2019, 11:28 AM

With Stephenson, he is almost 190cm and can also leap and take a good mark. I would back Wood to play on him.

Agree on Treloar being the one to shut down in the first instance. In inredible form. But we might need to keep an open mind on it during the game if they start hitting the ball to outside the stoppage to Pendlebury like they did in the last quarter last time around.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Agree on Treloar being the one to shut down in the first instance. In inredible form. But we might need to keep an open mind on it during the game if they start hitting the ball to outside the stoppage to Pendlebury like they did in the last quarter last time around.

The other thing they did last time was put De Goey into the centre which seemed to work for them.

Ozza
17-06-2019, 11:32 AM

My memory might be failing me, but I think he played on him last time around and was reasonably effective after de Goey started the year in white hot form.

Cordy got touched up over the weekend, but he is a competitive bugger and I'd back him to respond well this week.

mjp
17-06-2019, 12:26 PM

West Coast ALWAYS target Sidebottom. And they seem to win every time.

Why do you think Treloar should be the target? That break-away running? If so, do we actually need to bring someone in to do that job (like Hayes) or are we happy just rolling with the mids we have and doing the group shutdown aka 'The Cripps Plan'? I think that doing that wont work against Collingwood...they will simply roll Sidebottom to the wing, Pendlebury will already be on Bont and stick Sier, Adams, Phillips, Brown etc inside the game. They will get 'out' unless we have a clear plan the guys have bought into.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 01:03 PM
West Coast ALWAYS target Sidebottom. And they seem to win every time.

Why do you think Treloar should be the target? That break-away running? If so, do we actually need to bring someone in to do that job (like Hayes) or are we happy just rolling with the mids we have and doing the group shutdown aka 'The Cripps Plan'? I think that doing that wont work against Collingwood...they will simply roll Sidebottom to the wing, Pendlebury will already be on Bont and stick Sier, Adams, Phillips, Brown etc inside the game. They will get 'out' unless we have a clear plan the guys have bought into.

With Sidebottom on the wing, then Hunter will simply have to try and beat him one on one.

mjp
17-06-2019, 01:54 PM
With Sidebottom on the wing, then Hunter will simply have to try and beat him one on one.

I don't like that plan.

I like Hunter, but if Sidebottom is to be 'targeted' then whoever is given the task needs to go 'old school' and forget about winning the footy.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 02:29 PM
I don't like that plan.

I like Hunter, but if Sidebottom is to be 'targeted' then whoever is given the task needs to go 'old school' and forget about winning the footy.

What would be your plan?

The bulldog tragician
17-06-2019, 02:34 PM
What would be your plan?

I guess bringing back Liam Picken is out of the question? ;)

mjp
17-06-2019, 03:04 PM
What would be your plan?

1/. Select Hayes and get him to do it. Liber is out so that's a pretty simple change.
2/. Last chance corral for Dale. Challenge him to do it and rather than bring in Hayes bring in Young (Le version) to assist English in the battle with Grundy.

GVGjr
17-06-2019, 03:56 PM

I'd go with Duryea

lemmon
17-06-2019, 04:14 PM

Surely it should be a job for Wood? He's a good size and matches up well athletically. The captain hasn't brought much lately, I think it's a good week to tell him to sit in De Goey's back pocket and make sure he gets no clean footy.

Mantis
17-06-2019, 04:17 PM
I'd go with Duryea

Happy for him to give away 10cm?

jeemak
17-06-2019, 05:51 PM

Crozier is quick, and good in the air and this is why he is really good as an interceptor. An alternative to him could be Williams who wasn't as bad throughout the game Saturday as people possibly remember (that howler was a genuine howler, however). He is solid in the air and is quick, I'd love to see him put in a really solid performance this week.

I've picked Pendlebury to run with because he's not overly quick but can really hurt at the source and one disposal removed and this is also where Jacko excels. Given the job Jacko did Saturday I want to see him go again.

I nominated Duryea to run with Sidebottom if the latter is pushed out to a wing or flank. Not sure what I'd do if Sidebottom spent time as a genuine follower.

mjp
17-06-2019, 06:25 PM
I've picked Pendlebury to run with because he's not overly quick but can really hurt at the source and one disposal removed and this is also where Jacko excels. Given the job Jacko did Saturday I want to see him go again.

Pendlebury is an interesting one as he has been taking a bit of responsibility for the best opposition mid and I think you will see him go to Bont - we therefore wont get the chance to go at him.

I see a few people have mentioned Duryea to come in...I don't really understand that - he has only played one game back and we are about to play the best team (or as near as) in it...I would have thought his position in the team was not really that guaranteed just yet. Then again, we targeted him in the off-season so you're probably right...straight back in.

With the Crozier thing, are you saying Williams plays Crozier's role and Crozier goes to Stephenson? Why not just send Williams to Stephenson? Wouldn't that be simpler and allow the back 6 to continue playing the roles they are most comfortable in?

GVGjr
17-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Happy for him to give away 10cm?

Not too concerned by it. Duryea has some hops

Rocket Science
17-06-2019, 07:10 PM
1/. Select Hayes and get him to do it. Liber is out so that's a pretty simple change.
2/. Last chance corral for Dale. Challenge him to do it and rather than bring in Hayes bring in Young (Le version) to assist English in the battle with Grundy.

The choice between asking Hayes to mind the opposition's most damaging outside mid or asking Dale to do something that's comprehensively out of character is like asking me if I'd prefer a punch in the face or a knee in the jatz.

Can I have some think music please?

jeemak
17-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Pendlebury is an interesting one as he has been taking a bit of responsibility for the best opposition mid and I think you will see him go to Bont - we therefore wont get the chance to go at him.

I see a few people have mentioned Duryea to come in...I don't really understand that - he has only played one game back and we are about to play the best team (or as near as) in it...I would have thought his position in the team was not really that guaranteed just yet. Then again, we targeted him in the off-season so you're probably right...straight back in.

With the Crozier thing, are you saying Williams plays Crozier's role and Crozier goes to Stephenson? Why not just send Williams to Stephenson? Wouldn't that be simpler and allow the back 6 to continue playing the roles they are most comfortable in?

Yes, was suggesting in lieu of Crozier being too valuable as an interceptor my next choice for Stephenson would be Williams.

Hotdog60
17-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Bevo's members message just gave a hint that Duryea will play this week. Gave him a wrap for Saturdays game.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Bevo's members message just gave a hint that Duryea will play this week. Gave him a wrap for Saturdays game.

Yes and mentioned all in the backline except Cordy too.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Going to buck a trend here and say that I would make minimal changes to the side. That 1st quarter was a good as any I have seen and, whilst we let them back in twice, we steadied to hold them off.

Outs: Libba

In: Dureya

Dale: I would give him another week in the team. With McLean moving into the midfield the role at Wing/HF is his.

Midfield: Libba moving out of the midfield is a loss, but I think that more midfield time has to go into McLean, Lippa and Dunks.

Dureya: - can play at either end and will be a useful addition to the defence or as a defensive winger.

West: - too early for him.

Dickson: - with Gowers out, he is our best and most natural forward. Not a big possession winner. Only needs to get it 5 or times to hurt the opposition.

mjp
17-06-2019, 11:15 PM
The choice between asking Hayes to mind the opposition's most damaging outside mid or asking Dale to do something that's comprehensively out of character is like asking me if I'd prefer a punch in the face or a knee in the jatz.

Can I have some think music please?

So....what did you come back with?

1. I don’t actually have an issue with whatever we decide...unless what we decide is just to roll with it and let the match-ups be as they may. At the end of the game if we have conceded 25+ touches to Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips and treloar - and let Sidebottom win the ‘metres gained’ tally...well, we are gonna lose again.

2. We need to have a shutdown player on our list...why not try Hayes? Why not try Dale? Hayes actually has a lot of attributes for the job and Dale could do with learning how hard he needs to run to get a kick...

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-06-2019, 11:17 PM

I like the idea of playing a tag on Treloar. Is there any reason why Macrae couldn’t be given that role given the good job on Cripps. I would also like to see Daniel moved into the midfield to replace Liberatore where he has the ability to provide better opportunities for our forwards. This would pave the way for Richards or Duryea to take his place in defence.

merantau
18-06-2019, 06:01 AM
I think the writing is on the wall for Bailey Dale. He has not shown enough over the years.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2019, 09:26 AM
I think the writing is on the wall for Bailey Dale. He has not shown enough over the years.

Certainly not on in our best 22. Footscray had a big win and can't see him keeping his spot.

mjp
18-06-2019, 10:19 AM

So - change his role.

Play him inside. Play him in a back pocket. Try something. Don't just let a player who in 2017 was our most talented 'young player' fall by the wayside...

Bulldog4life
18-06-2019, 10:44 AM

1. I don’t actually have an issue with whatever we decide...unless what we decide is just to roll with it and let the match-ups be as they may. At the end of the game if we have conceded 25+ touches to Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Adams, Phillips and treloar - and let Sidebottom win the ‘metres gained’ tally...well, we are gonna lose again.

2. We need to have a shutdown player on our list...why not try Hayes? Why not try Dale? Hayes actually has a lot of attributes for the job and Dale could do with learning how hard he needs to run to get a kick...

Bevo previously said that Will has a huge engine. Might be the shutdown player we are looking for. Won't know if we don't try.

bornadog
18-06-2019, 11:09 AM
So - change his role.

Play him inside. Play him in a back pocket. Try something. Don't just let a player who in 2017 was our most talented 'young player' fall by the wayside...

Something has to be done as 4 disposals in a game where we had over 400 doesn't cut it. Some quarters he didn't even touch the ball.

Rocket Science
18-06-2019, 11:12 AM

Oh, I can see the arguable merit of both ideas from a coaching perspective, I just don't think either's likely to work, but I suppose if we're going to salvage anything from this year it might be some measure of 'development' so sure, why not? That's about where we're at, throwing some proverbial at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Sidebottom's their version of Macrae when Jacko's on song; in everything, everywhere, tireless running forward and back, linking, distributing, a thousand cuts type stuff.

I'd be inclined to give Smith the job with licence to go where opportunity presents, he'll certainly be around it enough if Sidebottom's his quarry all game.

It's games like these where you wish we'd groomed an understudy to Picken.

bornadog
18-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Maynot have to worry about Stephenson. He is under investigation for betting on a Collingwood game.Potential to be out for the year, if true.

Danjul
18-06-2019, 02:26 PM

An interesting concept, but will it catch on?

No evidence yet.

mjp
18-06-2019, 02:31 PM

To be fair, it isn't as if Picken had been doing much tagging during 2015/16...

Happy Days
18-06-2019, 02:50 PM
Maynot have to worry about Stephenson. He is under investigation for betting on a Collingwood game.Potential to be out for the year, if true.

Wow what a surprise that Stephenson would do something stupid.

Rocket Science
18-06-2019, 03:14 PM
To be fair, it isn't as if Picken had been doing much tagging during 2015/16...

You're bang on but suspect you take my point.

It's as much about Picken's dogged hunger to dedicate himself to a task for the greater good, even if it was before he morphed into a sub-six-foot CHF.

You scan our list now for the most logical replacement and, well ... Bailey Dale come on down apparently.

Bigger picture I suppose, Bevo's not proven the most enthusiastic deployer of hard tags, so none of this should shock.

merantau
18-06-2019, 03:44 PM
If we remember the last time we played them, for me, the number one priority is to curb Grundy's influence. Do that and we are on the way to limiting the effect of Treloar and Pendlebury

BornInDroopSt'54
18-06-2019, 05:59 PM
If we remember the last time we played them, for me, the number one priority is to curb Grundy's influence. Do that and we are on the way to limiting the effect of Treloar and Pendlebury

I think someone should continually pinch Grundy's arm, like Stratton v Fantasia. That should do it.
I haven't noticed that ruckmen block each other like a block in volleyball but maybe that is a good tactic for English against Grundy.

dukedog
18-06-2019, 06:16 PM
I think someone should continually pinch Grundy's arm, like Stratton v Fantasia. That should do it.
I haven't noticed that ruckmen block each other like a block in volleyball but maybe that is a good tactic for English against Grundy.

volleyball blocks....i like that. but i wanna see english just keep going. his skills are excellent. just needs time. playing on the best is what makes you a better player.

Danjul
18-06-2019, 07:08 PM
volleyball blocks....i like that. but i wanna see english just keep going. his skills are excellent. just needs time. playing on the best is what makes you a better player.

Grundy is carrying injuries so I expect English to do better. But the selectors need to include a plan B, the absence of one cost us a win last time.

Not blaming English, blaming the selectors.

mjp
19-06-2019, 11:20 AM
You scan our list now for the most logical replacement and, well ... Bailey Dale come on down apparently.

Ummm - I guess...but not really.

Our players are assets. Or should be. But no matter what we say about versatility, the ability to play half-forward, wing or half-back is not being versatile...it is just playing footy. The ability to play as a running half-back or shut-down defender depending on circumstances (the way a player like Maynard from this weeks' opposition does) is being TRULY versatile. This point seems lost on us sometimes.

I wasn't thinking in a 'Bailey Dale come on down' - I was thinking in a 'how are we going to get something out of this asset'...he seems completely lost at the moment AND seems to be pigeon holed as a flanker 'type' who can do 'clever' things. We need to give him the opportunity to 'break out' of that mould and do 'something different' otherwise he will be off the list and elsewhere before we realise what has happened.

Basically, something isn't working. We have a need. Can we find a way to join the dots?

Now - to those who say "It wont work", well, that's great. You don't actually know that. You don't know what's inside him and what he might be prepared to do if challenged. For all we know, he is limiting himself to fit into the 'pigeon hole' assigned by the coaches and simply needs permission to break out of it...

bornadog
19-06-2019, 12:13 PM
We need to give him the opportunity to 'break out' of that mould and do 'something different' otherwise he will be off the list and elsewhere before we realise what has happened.

Agree, however, this should be done in the VFL, so he can practise.

I like the way Lippa was thrust into the role as an inside mid at VFL level, and stayed in that role for at least 6 weeks, (despite supporters yelling at the MC to promote him earlier) and LIppa proved he can play that role and was given a promotion.

Lewis Young is also working on his craft as is Schache, so maybe as you say, we need to look at what Dale can do in in a different role - at VFL level.

mjp
19-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Agree, however, this should be done in the VFL, so he can practise.

No disrespect, but who is playing VFL footy at the moment who would prepare him to play a role against Treloar or Sidebottom. In the VFL, Bailey Dale IS the equivalent of the players who he needs to compete against at AFL level.

This role doesn't require practise. It requires CONCENTRATION and a willingness to compete...if he wants to do it, he can do it. He doesn't need to prepare for this in the VFL (though I take your point that it is a good strategy in most instances),

Mofra
19-06-2019, 01:03 PM

Hayes has the tank by all accounts. The other option is McLean who at least is good enough overhead to play a smaller 'get out' role down the line if he's matched on on Sidebottom.

We have a very left-field option who has played defence and defensive forward - Roarke. He may have a future pinch hitting as a defensive forward against teams that have a genuine A grade rebounder.

Trengove's fitness is a big issue, hobbled off last week and we just need to find someone to make Cox accountable. If Brick is unavailable do we roll the dice with Cordy? Giving Cox an unimpeded run at the ball will kill us and Garnder was brushed aside by Casbault very easily, Le Young doesn't seem to have the body on body nous to stop him either. We may have to throw the job to Cordy and hope it take Cox three quarters to work out he can just reach over the top of him.

bornadog
19-06-2019, 01:22 PM
No disrespect, but who is playing VFL footy at the moment who would prepare him to play a role against Treloar or Sidebottom. In the VFL, Bailey Dale IS the equivalent of the players who he needs to compete against at AFL level.

This role doesn't require practise. It requires CONCENTRATION and a willingness to compete...if he wants to do it, he can do it. He doesn't need to prepare for this in the VFL (though I take your point that it is a good strategy in most instances),

Sorry MJP, I must have not followed the thread properly, I was talking in general terms and not specifically Dale as a shut down role.

bornadog
19-06-2019, 01:23 PM
We may have to throw the job to Cordy and hope it take Cox three quarters to work out he can just reach over the top of him.

Played on him last time and Cox came good in the last and marked an easy ball to win the game.

Rocket Science
19-06-2019, 02:33 PM
We don't really have an applicable thread for this but we're obviously not going to be troubled with having to match up on Stephenson this weekend but ...

https://i.ibb.co/TKTzHpB/Screen-Shot-2019-06-19-at-1-23-11-PM.png (https://ibb.co/wJLDK3N)

How the actual f**k do you get sprung placing not one, not two but THREE bets on games you're participating in and tip-toe away with a roughly 3-game sanction per offence?

Naughty boy, but okay, you can play finals after a little rest.

The league is hopelessly compromised on this issue.

ledge
19-06-2019, 04:15 PM
He should have got a year for stupidity.
How easy is it to give your mate the money and get him to put the bet on ?

Jeanette54
19-06-2019, 04:21 PM
We don't really have an applicable thread for this but we're obviously not going to be troubled with having to match up on Stephenson this weekend but ...

You just gotta love Collingwood. When it seems that the world is changing too fast, and you can't keep up; a Collingwood player goes and does something stupid to bring him and his club into disrepute. Ah, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Happy days indeed.

Cue Eddie to appear on the news pleading for forgiveness for his "young and stupid" player.

However one can't help but feeling all this betting advertising we see associated with the coverage of our game, might not be in the game's (or those associated with it) best interests.

Pickenitup
19-06-2019, 04:22 PM
We are a huge chance this week No Beams Wells Elliott Adams Langdon and Stephenson plus we nearly beat them in Rd 4 off a 5 day break.

bornadog
19-06-2019, 04:30 PM
We are a huge chance this week No Beams Wells Elliott Adams Langdon and Stephenson plus we nearly beat them in Rd 4 off a 5 day break.

A good Bet you think:D

bornadog
19-06-2019, 04:31 PM

How the actual f**k do you get sprung placing not one, not two but THREE bets on games you're participating in and tip-toe away with a roughly 3-game sanction per offence?

Naughty boy, but okay, you can play finals after a little rest.

The league is hopelessly compromised on this issue.

He fessed up.

PS: MRO thread

Rocket Science
19-06-2019, 05:55 PM
He fessed up.

Ah yes, the stray sheep suddenly, apropos of nothing but the pangs of his own tender conscience, suddenly saw the light and surrendered, with no pre-arranged nudging from his management, his employer nor league HQ.

Righto.

Hotdog60
19-06-2019, 06:43 PM
I give a big left field match up and put Sweet on Cox.
Tell him to stop Cox so follow him everywhere.
When he goes forward, Sweet goes back. When he goes in the ruck, Sweet goes in the ruck.
When he comes off, Sweet comes off.
Sweet by the bio is slightly heavier than Cox and 6 cm shorter.
Sweet is listed as aggressive so he can get Cox to worry about him.
Won't happen but he would be our closest match up by size and Sweet has been playing the game longer.

Rocket Science
19-06-2019, 07:05 PM
When he goes forward, Sweet goes back. When he goes in the ruck, Sweet goes in the ruck.
Won't happen but he would be our closest match up by size and Sweet has been playing the game longer.

Sweet also has party tricks like this in the bag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5QDysi-FRU

Albeit he was probably trying to kick an opponent's head and the ball got in the way but hey, we're due for another left field debutant.

Twodogs
19-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Ah yes, the stray sheep suddenly, apropos of nothing but the pangs of his own tender conscience, suddenly saw the light and surrendered, with no pre-arranged nudging from his management, his employer nor league HQ.

Righto.

Yep, he was just sitting home yesterday when he suddenly thought "Oh shit, those bets I was putting on were probably against the rules! I'd better head down to league HQ and hand myself in."

The Underdog
19-06-2019, 07:55 PM

I watched Sweet in the VFL last week and while he did some nice things in the ruck and worked his way into the game around the ground (plus that goal was off the chain), I’m not sure I saw anything that would suggest this would be a great idea. Especially given he doesn’t appear to have played any backline up to this point. I don’t think he’s anywhere near agile enough to do it.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-06-2019, 08:52 PM
I watched Sweet in the VFL last week and while he did some nice things in the ruck and worked his way into the game around the ground (plus that goal was off the chain), I’m not sure I saw anything that would suggest this would be a great idea. Especially given he doesn’t appear to have played any backline up to this point. I don’t think he’s anywhere near agile enough to do it.

Yes but Bevo is well known for playing guys out of position

The Underdog
20-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Yes but Bevo is well known for playing guys out of position

Is he? Must have missed that.

mjp
20-06-2019, 08:33 AM
I have been reading calls for Sweet to be included all season.

My impression? He is a candidate to be our backup ruckman in 2021. We have one developing ruckman in the side already (English). Why would we want 2?

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2019, 09:23 AM

My impression? He is a candidate to be our backup ruckman in 2021. We have one developing ruckman in the side already (English). Why would we want 2?

I agree on Sweet.

Went to the VFL last week where Sweet had about his best game and he is miles off being AFL ready.

bornadog
20-06-2019, 09:41 AM
I agree on Sweet.

Went to the VFL last week where Sweet had about his best game and he is miles off being AFL ready.

He is averaging about 5 disposals per game. He is way off getting a game.

GVGjr
20-06-2019, 09:58 AM

He will probably get his shot before the end of the season because we some how find a way to do that but I think he is still a mile off. I agree we need to be taking the longer term view with him.

bornadog
20-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Prediction (or what I would do )

In: West, Schache, Duryea

Out: Libba, Gardner, Dale

1eyedog
20-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Same here all three had big VFL games.

Rocket Science
20-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Sensible changes, so perhaps don't hold your breath.

Cue Hayes, Gowers and Roarke Smith.

bornadog
20-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Gowers out for 4 weeks with injury.

bornadog
20-06-2019, 11:34 AM
Press Conference today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bueTwNUkXrI

LB: We were a little bit unstable after we lost Libba, but we were rapt with the boys being able to get it right & a couple of lads needed to shift roles & responsibilities. It was probably fortunate we got out to that margin, it was just the buffer we needed.

LB: The boys went away (on their four day break) with a little bit of a program just to make sure that they kept their eye on the ball & it was really pleasing for us to come out so emphatically in the first quarter.

LB: Rhylee will be in the 26 that are selected & we'd love to give him an opportunity, but what we don't want to do with our brand new players is throw them to the wolves & put them out there until they are totally ready - we want it to be a good experience for them.

LB: Dale (Morris) will play for Footscray when he comes back, but it will be another week.

LB: Doc definitely wIll be in that 26, he came back & played outstandingly well. He prepared himself well with Nick Stone & our return to play guys, so he'll definitely come into the mix.

LB: In the scheme of things, they're all important but the further & further behind you start to drop, the less chance you are of being there at the end of the year. We'll go hard this week & hopefully be 6 & 7 at the end fo round 14.

LB: Easton is quite rounded, a great role model on a lot of fronts, he's a professional & he's such a stand up figure in our game. It's a great milestone for him to chalk up the 150

Twodogs
20-06-2019, 11:52 AM
Doc definitely wIll be in that 26, he came back & played outstandingly well. He prepared himself well with Nick Stone & our return to play guys, so he'll definitely come into the mix.

Who is Doc? Are we finally going to give Jake Landsberger a game?

bornadog
20-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Duryea

Twodogs
20-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Duryea

Thanking you.

The Underdog
20-06-2019, 01:09 PM

Yep. He’s not ready for AFL. There’s something to work with long term but he’d get destroyed against the Pies (and before someone says it, yeah I know English did last time too, but English is a miles ahead tools wise)

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Roarke would not be undeserved.
He was very good in the VFL last week.

GVGjr
20-06-2019, 03:23 PM
Roarke would not be undeserved.
He was very good in the VFL last week.

Agreed, we probably need to give him and the likes of Lynch and Porter a chance to see if they should be on the list going forward

I still think Smith is more of a defender and we are stacked for the HBF types

Mofra
20-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Agreed, we probably need to give him and the likes of Lynch and Porter a chance to see if they should be on the list going forward

I still think Smith is more of a defender and we are stacked for the HBF types
Hasn't played much HBF from what I've seen at VFL level. Played as a defensive forward (is Crisp that dangerous? He's consistent but I'd be shutting down Sidebottom) and on the wing. I think there's a bit to work with, maybe he does become a tagger after all.

GVGjr
20-06-2019, 07:32 PM
In
Josh Schache, Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

Out
Tom Liberatore (Injured), Ryan Gardner (Omitted), Bailey Dale (Omitted)

I think we've got it right again.

Good calls from the MC

We are a good chance to win this game

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2019, 07:35 PM
In
Josh Schache, Lewis Young, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

Out

Good calls from the MC

That is about the most logical the match committee have been all year.

GVGjr
20-06-2019, 07:39 PM
That is about the most logical the match committee have been all year.

Couldn't be happier with the selections, I think they also got it right last week as well

The Underdog
20-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Couldn't be happier with the selections, I think they also got it right last week as well

Schache named in the 22 also which is good.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Good selections. Hope we can find a place for Young purely so we can blood him from this point forward.

bornadog
20-06-2019, 08:21 PM
In

Out

Good calls from the MC

Who do you think will be the four from the interchange?

Currently:

Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Toby McLean, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

I would pick

Crozier, Duryea, Mclean and I am hoping Lew Young.

The Underdog
20-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Currently:

Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Toby McLean, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith, Lachie Young

I would pick

At a guess I’d say Crozier, Duryea, McLean and Smith (or maybe West). Don’t think they’ll play another tall and may keep their powder dry on West. Roarke was very good in the VFL.

AutoFill
20-06-2019, 08:45 PM

Currently:

I would pick

Ditto��

GVGjr

Currently:

I would pick

I wouldn't mind those nominations BAD,

Bumper Bulldogs
Two in two weeks. Do they think a review is coming at the end of year

azabob
20-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Strangely enough I’d like to see Roarke Smith also play as defensive forward, he is athletic and can take a mark. However for balance I don’t think he plays this week.
Lewis Young i’d suggest also needs to come in for ruck support, unsure if he plays back or forward when not rucking.

Interesting Dickson is currently best 18.

Doc26
20-06-2019, 09:20 PM

LB: Doc definitely wIll be in that 26, he came back & played outstandingly well. He prepared himself well with Nick Stone & our return to play guys, so he'll definitely come into the

Me...

bulldogtragic
20-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Me...

Give 'em hell!

Twodogs
20-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Me...

Of course. How stoopid am I?

kruder
20-06-2019, 11:48 PM
Half back flank city this week, amazing how unbalanced our list is.

Great to see Josh back lets play him for the rest of the year.

GVGjr
20-06-2019, 11:55 PM
Half back flank city this week, amazing how unbalanced our list is.

Unavoidable at the moment I think. Picking inform players and I suspect Duryea will play more of a midfield role than down back

Will Wood be given the job on De Goey?

bornadog
21-06-2019, 12:05 AM

Last time we played Collingwood, he was missing in action with 4 disposals. Hopefully he has improved

kruder
21-06-2019, 12:18 AM
Last time we played Collingwood, he was missing in action with 4 disposals. Hopefully he has improved

His kicking action should get him a game ahead of Gardner. Lets back in him, play him forward for a block.

kruder
21-06-2019, 12:29 AM
Unavoidable at the moment I think. Picking inform players and I suspect Duryea will play more of a midfield role than down back

Yeah its an interesting one he or WHE. Cordy would be very low on confidence atm, it was one of the poorer games I can remember in a bulldogs colours last week. He seems lost between having to play one on one in the 666 environment and then back to zone defence. Would Bailey Williams be a chance? I'm guessing a number will have a crack at it.

I'd be playing West this week, we really are crying out for some froward pressure and I'd think his tacking could really spark us. Has been pretty consistent all year in the 2s and with Dale out there is a clear role for him.

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 12:53 AM
We always seem to announce debutants early, can’t remember anyone being named in an extended squad and making the 22. Would be surprised if West comes in this week due to this.

Mofra
21-06-2019, 10:08 AM

I'd say Wood has to go to him, Trengove to Cox and Cordy to Mihocek.

They play tall Collingwood, Stephenson out helps a little. They seem a bit different to other sides in that their drive is almost wholly their midfield + Crisp whereas other teams tend to have 2-3 pure rebounding defenders. With Roughy and Howe down there they do have a lot of intercept marking ability.

Mantis
21-06-2019, 11:16 AM

Currently:

I would pick

Where would you have Young playing? If in defence who does he go to?

bornadog
21-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Where would you have Young playing? If in defence who does he go to?

Depends if Reid is in.

Doggy
21-06-2019, 03:37 PM
Just heard from Roarke’s dad that Roarke is a definite in.

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 03:45 PM

Could be last chance saloon for Roarke (not just this game but the second half of the season). Good luck to him.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2019, 05:46 PM

Would love to see the two young guns in Naughton and De Goey go head to head. That would be something special to watch.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2019, 05:54 PM
Chris Grant has a special interest in Schache. Josh will be fine on Sunday.

bornadog
21-06-2019, 06:02 PM
Final Team:

In: Josh Schache, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith
Out: Tom Liberatore (knee), Toby McLean, Bailey Dale, Ryan Gardner

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Would love to see the two young guns in Naughton and De Goey go head to head. That would be something special to watch.

Can't see De Goey playing at full back NBP.;)

Axe Man
21-06-2019, 06:13 PM
Final Team:

In: Josh Schache, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith
Out: Tom Liberatore (knee), Toby McLean, Bailey Dale, Ryan Gardner

McLean is a big surprise. For the filth it's Ben Reid in for Punter Stephenson.

Rocket Science
21-06-2019, 06:15 PM
NOW Bevo's going to start swinging the axe ruthlessly?

So Richards back to see if he can make a better fist of McLean's high half forward role ...

Feel a bit for Toby, reckon he and we are better served with him spending more time on ball. What's he going to learn running around for the Scrays?

bornadog
21-06-2019, 06:23 PM
NOW Bevo's going to start swinging the axe ruthlessly?

So Richards back to see if he can make a better fist of McLean's high half forward role ...

Feel a bit for Toby, reckon he and we are better served with him spending more time on ball. What's he going to learn running around for the Scrays?

I think this has been our issue. We have too many mids rotating through the middle and resting in the forward line. We need specialist goal kickers not mids trying to be forwards.

Even when Toby has been on the ball, he has been struggling so not surprised he is out.

The Pie Man
21-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Haven’t seen much of the game (no net in the Coral Sea) but 18 touches and a goal *looks* like a reasonable game on paper.

Hmmmm

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-06-2019, 07:03 PM
I’m starting the day at the VFL at the Whitten Oval 11am

kruder
21-06-2019, 07:04 PM
I think this has been our issue. We have too many mids rotating through the middle and resting in the forward line. We need specialist goal kickers not mids trying to be forwards.

Even when Toby has been on the ball, he has been struggling so not surprised he is out.

It still is this week win or loose. Half back flankers playing mid and forward same thing. West has played small forward role and can obviously apply pressure should be playing this week. Ive been looking for a HBF in the outs struggling to find one.

G-Mo77
21-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Lol, McLean dropped. I was happy with selections until I sqw that omission.

Rocket Science
21-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Yes asking blokes to play roles outside of their natural forte in a team that's variously struggled in all areas of the ground certainly continues to pay dividends.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Can't see De Goey playing at full back NBP.;)

I still think Naughton is better suited at full back. I just hope we do not see a repeat of Charlie Curnow’s 7 goals. We have been regularly having 100 points plus kicked against us in recent weeks.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2019, 07:17 PM
After a great 2018, Toby McLean must have thought season 2019 was going to be his 'summer of George'. Thanks to match day tactics as to his role and now the selectors, it's truly has been his 'season of Tobes'.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2019, 07:33 PM
After a great 2018, Toby McLean must have thought season 2019 was going to be his 'summer of George'. Thanks to match day tactics as to his role and now the selectors, it's truly has been his 'season of Tobes'.

Maclean Wood and Richards have all struggled this year having failed to adjust to unfamiliar roles.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Maclean Wood and Richards have all struggled this year having failed to adjust to unfamiliar roles.

McLean, Wood, Richards. Webb too. Williams was training with the mids all preseason and has gone backwards now too. And the output of shoving other mids to the forward line like Macrae & Libba has hurt. Dunkley was struggling until he was luckily played his best role. I'm not sure in VFL it gets much better, is Lynch a forward or defender, and is Le Young a ruck/defender/forward? I freely admit I have no idea what we are doing, or if it's working. But my guess is it's not working.

ratsmac
21-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Toby has been down on form from last year's efforts but I didn't think he was that bad that it warrants dropping him. He has probably not kicked enough goals I suppose but apart from that I thought he was playing half forward (tricky position) pretty well. He tackles well and seems to create opportunities to score so it seems a quite harsh decision to me. Anyway obviously they coaches want more from him and want him to fix his deficiencies at Footscray.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-06-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm guessing a review of the Blues game has revealed some things during the periods Carlton came hard that made Tobe's demotion ne essary.
From an outsiders point of view, Toby seemed no worse than of recent weeks; I can only presume he has failed to meet some non-negotiables and thus finds himself in the VFL.

Bullies
21-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Dickson has offered us absolutely nothing this year yet keeps his spot. Bevo's skate boarding buddy Smith comes in. Surprised then he didn't play the injured Gowers. He will have all his buddies in the team soon.

We will lose guys like McLean who will go to another club and dominate playing in their right position.

The Underdog
21-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Dickson has offered us absolutely nothing this year yet keeps his spot. Bevo's skate boarding buddy Smith comes in. Surprised then he didn't play the injured Gowers. He will have all his buddies in the team soon.

We will lose guys like McLean who will go to another club and dominate playing in their right position.

Maybe he should take up skate boarding?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-06-2019, 09:36 PM

That's a pretty unfair post.
On the basis that you don't like the team lineup you infer that we, a professional sports club, selected someone because he's Bevo's skateboard buddy and has some plan that ends up with all his buddies in the team.
And then asserted that Mclean will leave us, because he's a victim of being played in the wrong position.

C'mon...you're better than that.
Yes, Mclean had a good year in the midfield last year. But with Libba coming back in, and Bailey Smith demanding selection our midfield unit has to become more flexible. And to be honest, its not as if this is a role foreign to Mclean; he's done it all bar last year.
To me it's clear he's broken some in-house, non-negotiables last week that has resulted in his demotion.
As for Dicko, he still kicked 2 goals last week and worked hard (if not noticeably).
Roarke has according to reports done well and deserves a chance.

I was hoping we'd bring Lewis Young in this week, but he's clearly in selectors thoughts (as is Mclean).
Macrae & Libba's egos have survived the ignomy of being dropped. I suspect Mclean will do similar and earn his spot back soon.

SquirrelGrip
21-06-2019, 09:48 PM
With McLean & Libba out, I’d expect to see Bailey Williams with midfield minutes.

kruder
21-06-2019, 09:49 PM
The question I have in regards to Mclean is does he play midfield or forward when he drops back to VFL level? Is there any point playing midfield if he cant get a game in the guts in the seniors?

The Adelaide Connection
21-06-2019, 09:58 PM
Collingwood have really doubled down on the tall timber (adding in Ben Reid late).

It could backfire on them on a quick deck like Marvel and hand us an advantage.

Or they could use their six thousand tall targets to tear us a new one.

*crosses fingers*

Eastdog
21-06-2019, 09:59 PM
Yeah quite a statement there from Bevo.

Toby has been out of form in 2019 so not surprising but wouldn’t have expected him to be omitted. Dale and Gardner no surprises there. Hopefully when Toby comes back he can recapture that form again. Jack Macrae even though he has been ultra consistent he hasn’t been as damaging in previous years. Need to play him in the midfield. Josh Dunkley has thrived there. Josh was very good in the latter part of 2018 as well.

Look forward to see how Schache goes on Sunday. Hopefully he can do some damage up forward. Wasn’t a good game last time we play the Pies for Schack. Tim English another I’m hoping takes on the challenge. Was very good last week.

jeemak
21-06-2019, 10:19 PM
I don't get this whole out of position point of view re McLean. Sure he's not playing as many minutes where he has demonstrated he can be his best, but, it's not like we're asking him to play in a back pocket.

The truth is he's always played forward of centre if not on the ball. If he's not doing what we want of him in that role, and we need him to be doing what we want of him in that role, then something needs to be done about it.

Whether it's the right call or not, time will tell. Though in a team that is struggling for natural forwards, loaded up with half backs and has many other players who play their best footy in the middle rather than forward something has to give, and for whatever reason, Toby's number was up.

mjp
21-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Toby has been down on form from last year's efforts but I didn't think he was that bad that it warrants dropping him. He has probably not kicked enough goals I suppose but apart from that I thought he was playing half forward (tricky position) pretty well. He tackles well and seems to create opportunities to score so it seems a quite harsh decision to me. Anyway obviously they coaches want more from him and want him to fix his deficiencies at Footscray.

When he ran into an open goal in the first quarter and simply had to pick the ball up to kick the easiest of goals...couldn’t do it, accidentally soccered it and by a miracle It rolled through (mostly as the defender trying to touch it smashed into the left hand post)...

That counts as a goal but wasn’t ‘really’ (and yes, I know it’s not how but how many)...he is horribly out of form and the fact that we love his effort and team first attitude can only cover that up for so long. Rather than asking why, we should probably all be asking what has taken so long...

mjp
21-06-2019, 10:31 PM

If that’s true maybe don’t post it on the internet...don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to get the info but Collingwood WILL find out soon enough...why hand it to them on a platter.

MrMahatma
21-06-2019, 10:41 PM

I actually think our fwd line functions better when Dickson is playing. Maybe his experience helps the others... not sure. I like him in the team.

bornadog
21-06-2019, 11:45 PM
When he ran into an open goal in the first quarter and simply had to pick the ball up to kick the easiest of goals...couldn’t do it, accidentally soccered it and by a miracle It rolled through (mostly as the defender trying to touch it smashed into the left hand post)...

That counts as a goal but wasn’t ‘really’ (and yes, I know it’s not how but how many)...he is horribly out of form and the fact that we love his effort and team first attitude can only cover that up for so long. Rather than asking why, we should probably all be asking what has taken so long...

Toby has been out of form for most of the season and I am surprised it took this long to drop him.

G-Mo77
22-06-2019, 09:34 AM
With Libba out it makes sense to chuck McLean back in the middle instead he's dropped and another HBF is brought into the team. It's just another one to add to the long list of questionable changes from our MC. At least they're consistent. Hopefully we'll see Lloyd, Roarke and numerous others not equipped to run through the midfield get plenty of time in there.

GVGjr
22-06-2019, 10:44 AM
With Libba out it makes sense to chuck McLean back in the middle instead he's dropped and another HBF is brought into the team. It's just another one to add to the long list of questionable changes from our MC. At least they're consistent. Hopefully we'll see Lloyd, Roarke and numerous others not equipped to run through the midfield get plenty of time in there.

I tend to agree that if they were to give McLean another chance this might have been the week but I do believe the MC has got things right particularly over the last 2 weeks and we could very well see a quick bounce back into the senior side by McLean

It's important that we test some of the fringe players in a managed way before the end of the season to help with list management decisions.

Bulldog Joe
22-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Roarke is not another HBF added to the team.

He has been playing well at Footscray and the reports indicate as a type of defensive forward. Last week I went to the Footscray game and he appeared to play wing half forward and was very creative.

He deserves hi spot.

G-Mo77
22-06-2019, 11:12 AM
I tend to agree that if they were to give McLean another chance this might have been the week but I do believe the MC has got things right particularly over the last 2 weeks and we could very well see a quick bounce back into the senior side by McLean

It's important that we test some of the fringe players in a managed way before the end of the season to help with list management decisions.

Yeah no issues I just don't see it should be at the expense of a player of McLean's calibre. He hasn't been great in 2019 but in no way shape or form has been below best 22 standard.

bornadog
22-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Yeah no issues I just don't see it should be at the expense of a player of McLean's calibre. He hasn't been great in 2019 but in no way shapemor form has been below best 22 standard.
Lippa has come in and basically taken his opportunity and Mclean’s Spot.

I am sure Toby will get back into the team

G-Mo77
22-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Roarke is not another HBF added to the team.

He has been playing well at Footscray and the reports indicate as a type of defensive forward. Last week I went to the Footscray game and he appeared to play wing half forward and was very creative.

He deserves hi spot.

Ok that's fine but the other ins Dureya and Richards. We lost a key midfielder in Libba and doesn't make sense to drop a guy who could fill that role or at least bring in someone else to add some midfield depth. Lipinski did well last week so I'm guessing he'll have to shoulder some bigger rotations through there which I still don't think he's suited to do.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Ok that's fine but the other ins Dureya and Richards. We lost a key midfielder in Libba and doesn't make sense to drop a guy who could fill that role or at least bring in someone else to add some midfield depth. Lipinski did well last week so I'm guessing he'll have to shoulder some bigger rotations through there which I still don't think he's suited to do.

A strange time to drop Maclean with Libba missing. I would prefer to move Daniel with his ball getting ability into the midfield and play Richards in his rightful position in defence.

Mantis
22-06-2019, 01:34 PM
A strange time to drop Maclean with Libba missing. I would prefer to move Daniel with his ball getting ability into the midfield and play Richards in his rightful position in defence.

We have about 10 HBF’s in the side so Richards will play where he’s put.. in more interested in his intensity around the ball as there’s been lots of short steps and half hearted attempts this season.

McLean being dropped is a poor reflection on our MC who were developing him into a very good mid and then plonked him up forward.

bornadog
22-06-2019, 02:05 PM
McLean being dropped is a poor reflection on our MC who were developing him into a very good mid and then plonked him up forward.

He has played most of his football with us in the forward line and went into the midfield last year out of necessity due to injuries. With Libba coming back this season, and Lipinski now proving he can play inside, Toby had to go back to the forward line as indicated in this article: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/off-the-leash-dog-mclean-looking-a-little-angrier-set-to-attack-2019

Unfortunately he has been poor all season, and even when he has had stints in the middle, he has fumbled and not shown much.

It is up to him now to make his way back.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-06-2019, 05:30 PM
We have about 10 HBF’s in the side so Richards will play where he’s put.. in more interested in his intensity around the ball as there’s been lots of short steps and half hearted attempts this season.

Richards was a fine player in defence last year and should have been left there. You are right, we have simply recruited too many back line players of similar type which is hard to fathom.

kruder
22-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Just have a feeling Le Young will be a late in, perfect week to play him with Reid in.

The Bench is humorous indeed.

Hayden Crozier, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith.

Back flanker anyone?

Twodogs
22-06-2019, 10:10 PM
Just have a feeling Le Young will be a late in, perfect week to play him with Reid in.

Back flanker anyone?

Back flankers all round!!!!!

You get a half back flanker, you get a half back flanker, everyone gets a half back flanker...

bornadog
22-06-2019, 11:22 PM

Back flanker anyone?

They can all play in multi positions. Who cares.

Richards and Roarke haven't played back the whole year and Suckling has been playing forward. Worked well last week, especially in the 3rd quarter when he stopped Carlton's momentum.

jeemak
23-06-2019, 12:47 AM
I really hope Duryea has been brought in to stifle one of the Collingwood movers. If that's the case then I'm not too worried about having too many half backs flanker types.

As for Crozier he's a crucial part of our aerial defence and is used to spring our attack forward. And if the other two are being used or developed to be players other than half back flankers and have performed well in alternative roles at the lower level so I don't really see what the heartburn is all about.

We actually need to collectively acknowledge that we're developing and take a bit of a breath. I genuinely believe we're a good chance of winning tomorrow, and if we do we'll be six and seven - so with that in mind I wonder if we'll give the coaching staff/MC any credit for it and reflect on whether many of us actually believed we'd be at that position 13 games in.

westbulldog
23-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by kruder View Post

Lewis Young should have been in weeks ago and should be today. Rather sick of our Lilliputian backline being torched by team selection.

kruder
23-06-2019, 12:40 PM
They can all play in multi positions. Who cares.

Richards and Roarke haven't played back the whole year and Suckling has been playing forward. Worked well last week, especially in the 3rd quarter when he stopped Carlton's momentum.

And there lies the issue with the Western Bulldogs, they all can play multiple positions who cares. How well can they play multiple positions? I thought you said playing mids as forwards was an issue?

Bullies
23-06-2019, 06:56 PM
That's a pretty unfair post.
On the basis that you don't like the team lineup you infer that we, a professional sports club, selected someone because he's Bevo's skateboard buddy and has some plan that ends up with all his buddies in the team.
And then asserted that Mclean will leave us, because he's a victim of being played in the wrong position.

C'mon...you're better than that.
Yes, Mclean had a good year in the midfield last year. But with Libba coming back in, and Bailey Smith demanding selection our midfield unit has to become more flexible. And to be honest, its not as if this is a role foreign to Mclean; he's done it all bar last year.
To me it's clear he's broken some in-house, non-negotiables last week that has resulted in his demotion.
As for Dicko, he still kicked 2 goals last week and worked hard (if not noticeably).
Roarke has according to reports done well and deserves a chance.

I was hoping we'd bring Lewis Young in this week, but he's clearly in selectors thoughts (as is Mclean).
Macrae & Libba's egos have survived the ignomy of being dropped. I suspect Mclean will do similar and earn his spot back soon.
And I am more than happy to stand by my post. This game was lost at selection.

mjp
23-06-2019, 08:33 PM

How?

We won every stat with the exception of clearances.
We HAD more scoring shots. We lost by a kick...

I just don't understand how you can say the selection of Dickson/Smith and the non-selection of Toby cost us the game. Dickson was fine - 20 touches and a couple of goals...what did he do wrong today?

GVGjr
23-06-2019, 08:44 PM
I said it on Thursday and I'll say it again but I think the MC got the selections right. R.Smith might not have performed liked we hoped but we had to play him between now and the end of the season and I'd be confident that he will play against Port next week. We absolutely need to play some of the fringe guys before the end of the season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-06-2019, 08:44 PM

Right, so you're happy to double down on asserting Bevo is more interested in picking a skateboard buddy, with a master plan of getting all his mates in the team?

If Mclean served up what he had done thus far this year he would not have made a jot of difference.

Richards & Schache were dropped, and they came back into the side and looked noticeably better than they were prior to being demoted.
Hopefully Tobe's does similar and comes back and makes an even better impression.

KT31
23-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Breaking News - with the weekend off from footy today, Toby McClean spotted getting some tips at his local skate park.
"I just want to play as many games for the Dogs and be the best footballer I can be, Bevo said I won't be selected again until I can stay on my deck and perform an ollie."
Toby was also heard to say, "If I can't nail this I don't know what I will do, possibly buy a board and try my luck at Bells.":D:D:D

Ozza
23-06-2019, 10:06 PM
How?

We won every stat with the exception of clearances.
We HAD more scoring shots. We lost by a kick...

I just don't understand how you can say the selection of Dickson/Smith and the non-selection of Toby cost us the game. Dickson was fine - 20 touches and a couple of goals...what did he do wrong today?

Agree with this.
I've been as critical of Bevo as many on here about team selection and player positioning - but as I said in another thread, credit where credit is due - they put a game plan together that should have won us the game today, and only conversion cost us.

I get it, that Grundy dominated the ruck, but the sum of all the parts was that Trengove was excellent in defence, so getting him to crash into Grundy a bit takes away from that part of the ground.

The coaching was good today and a lot went well against one of the best sides in the competition.

G-Mo77
24-06-2019, 12:13 PM
I said it on Thursday and I'll say it again but I think the MC got the selections right. R.Smith might not have performed liked we hoped but we had to play him between now and the end of the season and I'd be confident that he will play against Port next week. We absolutely need to play some of the fringe guys before the end of the season.

My argument is that he's been tried and tested many times and this is his ceiling. I've got nothing against him, seems like a good kid and is dam good at VFL level but he has still not mastered the jump to AFL level. I think it's 1 and done for mine and try someone else on the fringe. Cavara? Porter? Lynch?

bornadog
24-06-2019, 12:15 PM
My argument is that he's been tried and tested many times and this is his ceiling. I've got nothing against him, seems like a good kid and is dam good at VFL level but he has still not mastered the jump to AFL level. I think it's 1 and done for mine and try someone else on the fringe. Cavara? Porter? Lynch?

Agreed, won't make it.

GVGjr
24-06-2019, 12:28 PM

Then we should have delisted him at the end of the season. We kept him on the list however, because we apparently see something in him so I do believe we had to play him sooner than later

I've always struggled to see why he has been maintained on the list but with Lynch and Greene not playing and Cavarra and Porter not in great form at least we gave Smith his best chance to come in with some form behind him

bornadog
24-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Then we should have delisted him at the end of the season. We kept him on the list however, because we apparently see something in him so I do believe we had to play him sooner than later

I've always struggled to see why he has been maintained on the list but with Lynch and Greene not playing and Cavarra and Porter not in great form at least we gave Smith his best chance to come in with some form behind him

No problems in giving him a go, and maybe I am a bit harsh on him as he played well at VFL level and has only played 13 AFL games. At this stage, I can't see him succeeding. His two ACL's have slowed him down a bit and he doesn't have that leap he use to have.

G-Mo77
24-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Probably should have been delisted, not sure why he was kept other than probably being in contract. We have so many other HBF's on the list and in the current team so I'm really not sure what role he could fill at senior level. I mean I get it, he's a listed player who's played well at VFL level so that's the measuring stick for others to work towards, completely understand that. I just don't see the point in bringing in him and/or Dureya when the positional needs are elsewhere. It's probably not where the game was one or lost but it would have been nice to have someone in there with a little more poise and cleaner with ball in hand.

Mofra
24-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Probably should have been delisted, not sure why he was kept other than probably being in contract. We have so many other HBF's on the list and in the current team so I'm really not sure what role he could fill at senior level. I mean I get it, he's a listed player who's played well at VFL level so that's the measuring stick for others to work towards, completely understand that. I just don't see the point in bringing in him and/or Dureya when the positional needs are elsewhere. It's probably not where the game was one or lost but it would have been nice to have someone in there with a little more poise and cleaner with ball in hand.
Roarke hasn't played HBF this year. He's rotated between wing and defensive forward, deserves his call-up.

G-Mo77
24-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Roarke hasn't played HBF this year. He's rotated between wing and defensive forward, deserves his call-up.

Got to fit them all in somewhere. ;)

soupman
24-06-2019, 03:58 PM
I don't rate Roarke, he had potential prior to his two acls but they have really made it difficult for him now. However, we have tried him in a new role this season and he has performed well in the VFL over a decent period of time and earnt his call up, so I don't think it would be unjust for him to be given the opportunity to prove us wrong by being guaranteed 3-4 games, regardless of performance in the first two.

He wasn't terrible yesterday, and i don't think he will make it, but if we deem him worthy of a list spot this season then he deserves the opportunity to prove himself when he has met everything we have asked of him in the VFL.

Bulldog Joe
24-06-2019, 04:10 PM
I don't rate Roarke, he had potential prior to his two acls but they have really made it difficult for him now. However, we have tried him in a new role this season and he has performed well in the VFL over a decent period of time and earnt his call up, so I don't think it would be unjust for him to be given the opportunity to prove us wrong by being guaranteed 3-4 games, regardless of performance in the first two.

He wasn't terrible yesterday, and i don't think he will make it, but if we deem him worthy of a list spot this season then he deserves the opportunity to prove himself when he has met everything we have asked of him in the VFL.

I really don't get the angst on the forum against Roarke Smith. For this game he effectively replaced Bailey Dale and he contributed much more than Dale had given in the previous weeks..

KT31
25-06-2019, 01:32 PM
I really don't get the angst on the forum against Roarke Smith. For this game he effectively replaced Bailey Dale and he contributed much more than Dale had given in the previous weeks..

For me its the "the deer in the head light look", he never seems to looks comfortable with ball in hand and wants to dish it of as quickly as possible whether its the right option or not.

bornadog
25-06-2019, 01:33 PM
For me its the "the deer in the head light look", he never seems to looks comfortable with ball in hand and wants to dish it of as quickly as possible whether its the right option or not.

Does he lack confidence?

jeemak
25-06-2019, 01:40 PM
I think that's just how his face is.

G-Mo77
25-06-2019, 02:56 PM

There was a chain of play in the middle of the ground which punches this point home. I think it was the 3rd, maybe the 4th quarter, I'm pretty sure we were rebounding and he hand passed behind his teammate got it back and did it again. Just panicked at a simple open passage of play sums him up pretty well. I don't like putting a player under the microscope and singling out one instance but it was bloody awful to watch.