PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 15, Vs Port Adelaide

Scraggers
31-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 14 match against Collingwood for our Round 15, 2019 match against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Bump

G-Mo77
23-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Can we bring McLean back yet?

I've always been a little bit of a fan of Roarke but he's that guy who is a good VFL player and an average AFL one. Not sure what we expected with selecting him. Been tried and tested and we got what we expected today. Dureya. Never should have been signed, a player we have surpluss of and didn't need. Just awful today.

Out: Smith, Dureya
Ins: McLean, Cavara/Porter.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Out: Roarke, Cordy, Williams if they won't play him at half back/Duryea
In: McLean, Le Young, West

Never going to happen.

AndrewP6
23-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Out Cordy until he learns what a defender is supposed to do.
In - someone over 6 foot tall who has an idea what "defensive accountability" means.
R. Smith. Time to "future endeavour" him, as they say in pro wrestling.

chef
23-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Surely its time for Young to get Cordys spot and get given the leeway he does so we can actually find out if hes any good. Or he leaves at the end of the season as hes not one of bevos pets.

Bullies
23-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Surely its time for Young to get Cordys spot and get given the leeway he does so we can actually find out if hes any good. Or he leaves at the end of the season as hes not one of bevos pets. Lewis needs to borrow Roarke's skateboard and skate with Bevo. It seems to work with Roarke in getting a game.

bornadog
23-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Bailey Smith needs refreshing

GVGjr
23-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Bailey Smith needs refreshing

I think so. It's not a knock on tbe player but I think he might benefit from a week or two off

merantau
23-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Cordy has not come on as I expected he might. For a tall player I’m scratching my head to re-call him taking an overhead contested mark or intercept mark. Time to give Lewis Young an extended run.

azabob
23-06-2019, 08:39 PM
So McLean doesn’t play VFL. Makes it hard for him to work on his deficiencies and play next week.

bornadog
23-06-2019, 09:06 PM
So McLean doesn’t play VFL. Makes it hard for him to work on his deficiencies and play next week.

A bit tough, but he can't come back in. He hasn't played ONE decent game this year.

GVGjr
23-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Is Easton Wood getting a free passage with our supporters?

Once again his possession count was down with 4 kicks, 3 marks and no tackles

Captain or not, he needs to perform better than he has

mjp
23-06-2019, 09:33 PM

To be fair, he 'TRIED' to tackle De Goey a couple of times...one of them even led to a highlight real left foot snap/goal.

Tackling 101: Ear to the Rear, Hit and STICK!!!

Yes, De Goey is a powerful unit. But being able to lay critical 1v1 tackles like that is why Easton is captain of the club. He has never been a high possession player, but if he has truly lost 'that' then he can't play seniors.

bornadog
23-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Also had 9 handballs, did some great spoiling over the top.

Danjul
23-06-2019, 11:15 PM
Cordy has not come on as I expected he might. For a tall player I’m scratching my head to re-call him taking an overhead contested mark or intercept mark. Time to give Lewis Young an extended run.

Cordy is simply having a bad spell but he has potential.

The fact that his opponents kicked 20 goals in the previous 4 games doesn’t really mean someone else would have done better. He just needs more time.

And his bad day today probably didn’t cost us the game. He just needs to work on giving his opponents so much separation, something the coaches would be managing.

westbulldog
23-06-2019, 11:32 PM
In Lewis Young
Out Roarke Smith

MrMahatma
23-06-2019, 11:39 PM
R Smith was ok. He stays.

Agree we need L Young in. I’d drop Williams (who I really like) and get Young in.

GVGjr
23-06-2019, 11:52 PM
To be fair, he 'TRIED' to tackle De Goey a couple of times...one of them even led to a highlight real left foot snap/goal.

Yes, De Goey is a powerful unit. But being able to lay critical 1v1 tackles like that is why Easton is captain of the club. He has never been a high possession player, but if he has truly lost 'that' then he can't play seniors.

Did you see him turn his back on De Goey in the last quarter? Awful error by an experienced player let alone the captain

GVGjr
23-06-2019, 11:54 PM
Also had 9 handballs, did some great spoiling over the top.

How did you rate his game though? He's struggling in my opinion but rarely if ever gets taken to task
His mistake in the last quarter was shocking in my opinion showing no game awareness.

Danjul
24-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Did you see him turn his back on De Goey in the last quarter? Awful error by an experienced player let alone the captain
The error was compounded by the fact that Cordy also had his back to the play and was unaware of the pass coming into the goal square.

Mofra
24-06-2019, 12:02 PM
No change.

Changing the 21st or 22nd player won't make a difference and I think Roarke deserves another chance.

Rhylee West close to getting a run.

Mofra
24-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Who can actually tackle de Goey? He's marginally behind Stringer as a forward who can break tackles.
On our list I'd back in a fit Dale Morris and perhaps Libba.

G-Mo77
24-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Maybe he's injured? I sort of hope that is the case for the sake of our selectors because it made no dam sense to drop him.

Ozza
24-06-2019, 12:08 PM
How did you rate his game though? He's struggling in my opinion but rarely if ever gets taken to task
His mistake in the last quarter was shocking in my opinion showing no game awareness.

I know you're asking bornadog the question, not me. But FWIW - i didn't mind Wood's game yesterday. He isn't having a great season by any stretch, but de Goey is one of the stars of the comp and Wood did a fair job limiting his influence and also peeled off him several times to make towering spoils over Cox and Reid in packs.
His 2 goals were goals that de Goey, and not many other players, are capable of.

Axe Man
24-06-2019, 12:17 PM
I know you're asking bornadog the question, not me. But FWIW - i didn't mind Wood's game yesterday. He isn't having a great season by any stretch, but de Goey is one of the stars of the comp and Wood did a fair job limiting his influence and also peeled off him several times to make towering spoils over Cox and Reid in packs.
His 2 goals were goals that de Goey, and not many other players, are capable of.

I agree. He was solid in his defensive work, killed a number of aerial contests and I don't recall any critical disposal errors. He's just about our worst kick so I would prefer that he doesn't get too many kicks. We are much better off with Daniel, Crozier, JJ, etc kicking in our defensive half.

lemmon
24-06-2019, 12:41 PM

If you'd have said that Crozier would develop into a better medium defender than Easton Wood, I'd have said you were crazy, but that's the reality.

I really don't see what role Wood actually plays in our backline at the moment. He doesn't get intercept possessions, he doesn't rebound and he's not shutting down man. He might've been dropped already if Morris was fit.

I'd drop him this week and we clearly have an anointed leader in Bont. It was telling that he took the game by the scruff in the third term.

GVGjr
24-06-2019, 12:43 PM

He can barely get the ball and doesn't do much with it when he does and on top of that he rarely lays a tackle.
Cordy had twice the possession count and is right on the radar, not so with Wood

It's a great position for him

Axe Man
24-06-2019, 12:49 PM
He can barely get the ball and doesn't do much with it when he does and on top of that he rarely lays a tackle.
Cordy had twice the possession count and is right on the radar, not so with Wood

Wood had 13 and Cordy had 10 possessions. He's not the player he was but his role has changed, he doesn't need to have 20 touches.

Danjul
24-06-2019, 12:53 PM

Wood had 13 possessions on a superstar and did a lot of aerial spoilers.

Cordy had 10 possessions and his sloppy work cost goals. He is having a terrible season. Many of his opponents are getting career high bags of goals.

I think Cordy could be a great player, but not the way he is being used.

Mantis
24-06-2019, 02:07 PM

Cordy had 10 possessions and his sloppy work cost goals. He is having a terrible season. Many of his opponents are getting career high bags of goals.

In what way & what role can you see Zaine developing into a great player?

Danjul
24-06-2019, 05:14 PM
In what way & what role can you see Zaine developing into a great player?

Cordy came to the club as a tall flanker. He was good when the ball was loose and had to be fought for at ground level. That led to his contributions in the 2016 finals.

His weakness has been fighting for a contested overhead mark against a big forward . unfortunately that’s the only job he has been given lately, and his body language suggests that he is struggling.

Put Young at centre half back and Cordy on a flank or up forward as a target. His chase down and goal from the boundary was a highlight of the grand final.

chef
24-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Maybe it might be better to try those roles at VFL level and see if hes any good at them. Cordy is a liability atm.

Smads57
24-06-2019, 07:01 PM
Cordy came to the club as a tall flanker. He was good when the ball was loose and had to be fought for at ground level. That led to his contributions in the 2016 finals.

His weakness has been fighting for a contested overhead mark against a big forward . unfortunately that’s the only job he has been given lately, and his body language suggests that he is struggling.

Put Young at centre half back and Cordy on a flank or up forward as a target. His chase down and goal from the boundary was a highlight of the grand final.

I'm sorry, but you aren't improving the situation at all as in my opinion playing Young in Cordy's position. Cordy is far more effective (although shorter) than Young as a KP player - just watch Young's VFL form - he is not a body on body player at all and certainly doesn't have the aggressive qualities that Cordy has. At least Cordy, on his day, represents a challenge for the opposing forward.

The real issue for the club not having a KPB on our list at present, so need to persist with 'next best' i.e. Cordy.

Danjul
24-06-2019, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry, but you aren't improving the situation at all as in my opinion playing Young in Cordy's position. Cordy is far more effective (although shorter) than Young as a KP player - just watch Young's VFL form - he is not a body on body player at all and certainly doesn't have the aggressive qualities that Cordy has. At least Cordy, on his day, represents a challenge for the opposing forward.

The real issue for the club not having a KPB on our list at present, so need to persist with 'next best' i.e. Cordy.

I appreciate that Cordy is a favourite but his continuous selection as CHF is not working this year.

In the 4 games prior to the Collingwood match he gave up 19 goals. On Sunday I counted 3 more.

He is terribly out of form at the moment. At least four times this year his opponent has kicked a career high number of goals.

I do agree with your statement: The real issue for the club not having a KPB on our list at present , and that shows poor planning.

Saving goals and improving Cordy’s contribution means making some change.

GVGjr
24-06-2019, 07:29 PM

He wasn't on De Goey that much at all, we were trying to free him up. I think Crozier spent as much time if not more on De Goey

mjp
24-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Who can actually tackle de Goey? He's marginally behind Stringer as a forward who can break tackles.
On our list I'd back in a fit Dale Morris and perhaps Libba.

I think this is a fair question. And I think doing uncommon things such as effectively tackle De Goey is EXACTLY why Wood is:
A. In the team.
B. Skipper.

If he can’t do that stuff, why is he in the side? He doesn’t play on talls, doesn’t play on true smalls , doesn’t really intercept mark, does win the footy, doesn’t offer much run and drive...

He is in the team cos he is heart and soul and he has to stick that tackle. And his line coach would have told them that before the game - shown them vision of the situation and told them for us to win they had to hang on...and he is tha captain and he HAD to do it.

Cyberdoggie
24-06-2019, 10:39 PM
R Smith was ok. He stays.

Agree we need L Young in. I’d drop Williams (who I really like) and get Young in.

I thought Williams played a better game than he had all year, he too has barely had his hands on the ball down back, but seems to play with a bit of confidence when up forward.
I've been disappointed with Cordy all year, he has lost all confidence as a defender, you compare him to even last year and he's not the same. I think he's just had to play on the number 1 big guy too often and he's just not up to it.
Without Moz or an Adams, we just have no stability down back. Easton is playing as a 1 on 1 when he needs to be the spare man cutting in front and using his leap to spoil.

I can't see any solution with the squad we have to be honest unless they want to try putting Naughton back, but then we are also extremely poor up forward at contested marking.

We are just going to have to get a couple of young key post players that actually may fill out to something larger than a stick.
We need to find something in the state leagues that may help, as well as trade for a ready made or two.

Then all we need to sort out is our set shot kicking! :)

Smith was quiet but does he need a rest after just having a week off?

I think Cavarra might need to come in as well as Rylee West. Cavarra looks to have a bit of flash up forward and he just might provide a spark. West should be given a go as he has been ok. Kicked a nice goal from outside 50 against Northern Blues.
That would leave us very small though, so that probably won't happen.

Hotdog60
25-06-2019, 06:54 AM
I would like to see what Cavarra has although I think at this stage he would run out of puff by 3 quarter time.
But he is an experience player who knows where the goals are and you would hope that he would position himself on the long ball to be in the right position when it hits the turf.
Can we afford to carry a forward pocket in the hope he may get 3 or 4 goals but not much else. Big step up to the big league but it would be nice to see how he handles it.

mjp
25-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Can we afford to carry a forward pocket in the hope he may get 3 or 4 goals but not much else. Big step up to the big league but it would be nice to see how he handles it.

If there is any chance of that whatsoever put me in the 'HELL YES' category.

(I don't think there is any chance of that btw. 2 would seem on the high side of where our expectations should be).

G-Mo77
25-06-2019, 02:46 PM

At this stage anyone with the ability to kick multiple and very little else should be a walk up start.

Grantysghost
25-06-2019, 03:11 PM
Dependant on Port side, only change I'd make would be a tall defender if Westhoff is back, otherwise no change.

Happy Days
25-06-2019, 03:44 PM
In: Lew Young

Out: Cordy

Zaine needs a spell. He’s badly shook against talls and doesn’t really offer much except really earnest skills and toughness. Young has all the tools, has developed physically even since earlier this year and is a better athlete than most in the side. Time to see where his head is at.

I was tempted to rest B Smith but I think it’s less about wear and tear and more that he just had a bad game, as young players do. I’d also drop R Smith for McLean but that’s not happening so why even mention it as a possibility.

Happy Days
25-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Also if Lycett gets on top of Tim then Young in the side gives some flexibility to make a move. He’s really increased his strength and I think it’s feasible he could hang with Dixon one on one.

Axe Man
25-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Hinkley saying that Ryder, Westhoff and SPP are likely to play SANFL this weekend.

The Pie Man
25-06-2019, 04:47 PM
I don't watch much VFL - and I missed the 1st quarter Sunday - but I was surprised Lewis Young wasn't listed in our best. Thought he competed well and came away from a few contests cleanly with speed to release up the ground.

Cavarra is very neat with the ball, and I'm sucker for a good kick. Only saw his forward pressure exerted once as he came up the ground quite a bit, but he looks to have the tools ...whether he's ready yet or not (as in, games in the legs - he looks every bit a senior player physically)

In : Young, Cavarra

Out : both Smiths

Though Roarke did ok - but Cavarra would be better.

That pass from Bailey to Schache in the 3rd quarter was a gem showcasing a skillset our midfield lacks...but draws the short straw after a quiet game / needing a refresher.

Or you could drop Wood and have Cordy play 3rd tall. Or drop Cordy I guess. I'm in tank mode really - I honestly enjoyed the game on Sunday, we'd have to be one of the better 4th from bottom sides in a while, we were pretty fierce at the contest (especially early) The lack of polish is of course frustrating, but another top 5 pick could help address this sort of thing (see Smith, Bailey)

Bullies
25-06-2019, 05:23 PM
I don't watch much VFL - and I missed the 1st quarter Sunday - but I was surprised Lewis Young wasn't listed in our best. Thought he competed well and came away from a few contests cleanly with speed to release up the ground.

Cavarra is very neat with the ball, and I'm sucker for a good kick. Only saw his forward pressure exerted once as he came up the ground quite a bit, but he looks to have the tools ...whether he's ready yet or not (as in, games in the legs - he looks every bit a senior player physically)

In : Young, Cavarra

Out : both Smiths

Though Roarke did ok - but Cavarra would be better.

That pass from Bailey to Schache in the 3rd quarter was a gem showcasing a skillset our midfield lacks...but draws the short straw after a quiet game / needing a refresher.

Or you could drop Wood and have Cordy play 3rd tall. Or drop Cordy I guess. I'm in tank mode really - I honestly enjoyed the game on Sunday, we'd have to be one of the better 4th from bottom sides in a while, we were pretty fierce at the contest (especially early) The lack of polish is of course frustrating, but another top 5 pick could help address this sort of thing (see Smith, Bailey)
i think Cavarra will be a better player at the higher level. Just seems to have the football smarts only problem is he knows where the sticks are so that might count against him.

Hotdog60
25-06-2019, 05:59 PM
If there is any chance of that whatsoever put me in the 'HELL YES' category.

(I don't think there is any chance of that btw. 2 would seem on the high side of where our expectations should be).

At this stage anyone with the ability to kick multiple and very little else should be a walk up start.

Sorry I live in a fantasy world it should be 1 or 2 goals. But I think that would be handy if the pressure acts are there.

bornadog
25-06-2019, 06:24 PM
i think Cavarra will be a better player at the higher level. Just seems to have the football smarts only problem is he knows where the sticks are so that might count against him.

:rolleyes:

josie
25-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Lewy Young deserves a recall and agree Cavarra looks ready to go. I watch fair bit of dogs vfl especially at WO.

merantau
25-06-2019, 10:55 PM
The season is cooked so let's use the remaining games to get some answers to the questions being asked about certain players. Lewis Young for example. Just play him for the rest of the year. Ben Cavarra same. What has happened to Lynch? He showed a bit last year. Move some players around. Try Corfu forward again. Keep Schache in no matter what. He needs to play. As soon as Gowers is right get him back in. Time to cast a searching eye over some of the troops.

MrMahatma
25-06-2019, 11:11 PM
In: Lewis Young
Out: Ayce Cordy

In: Set shot accuracy
Out: Honorable losses

bornadog
25-06-2019, 11:18 PM

Another in: Don't leak goals, so in comes Defense.

Mofra
26-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Lewy Young deserves a recall and agree Cavarra looks ready to go. I watch fair bit of dogs vfl especially at WO.
Do you think he needs an extra week or two to get his match fitness right up? I suspect he'll earn his chance in coming weeks.

josie
26-06-2019, 10:24 AM
Do you think he needs an extra week or two to get his match fitness right up? I suspect he'll earn his chance in coming weeks.

Fair enough-he was running hard and looked sharp on weekend. I suppose with Dickson and Lloyd kicking a few each there is no urgency. I do not think Bevo will drop Roarke after 1 game either. Not sure who else would realistically be dropped-as others have mentioned Lewy for Cordy. West was not as good with disposal on weekend and missed an easy goal too.

bornadog
26-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Fair enough-he was running hard and looked sharp on weekend. I suppose with Dickson and Lloyd kicking a few each there is no urgency. I do not think Bevo will drop Roarke after 1 game either. Not sure who else would realistically be dropped-as others have mentioned Lewy for Cordy. West was not as good with disposal on weekend and missed an easy goal too.

Gut feel is no change this week.

Twodogs
26-06-2019, 10:31 AM
In: Lew Young

Out: Cordy

Zaine needs a spell. He’s badly shook against talls and doesn’t really offer much except really earnest skills and toughness. Young has all the tools, has developed physically even since earlier this year and is a better athlete than most in the side. Time to see where his head is at.

I was tempted to rest B Smith but I think it’s less about wear and tear and more that he just had a bad game, as young players do. I’d also drop R Smith for McLean but that’s not happening so why even mention it as a possibility.

But B. Smith is the top dog! :D

Zaine. Ayce was a long time ago.

GVGjr
26-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Gut feel is no change this week.

Tend to agree, we played well in so many area's last week

G-Mo77
26-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Zaine. Ayce was a long time ago.

I'll put my hand up and say I get that wrong as well. I've called him Ayce a few times.

Twodogs
26-06-2019, 07:22 PM
I'll put my hand up and say I get that wrong as well. I've called him Ayce a few times.

It's the first name that usually comes into my head when I am trying to think of Zaine too. I think it's the A/Z binary thing.

The Adelaide Connection
27-06-2019, 12:49 AM
The forecast in Adelaide is for thunderstorms and windy conditions. This is after a week of fine days with low 20's by the way.

Honestly, I think the farmers love when the Bulldgs bring the rain to town.

In light of this, I think it is the wrong weekend to bring in another tall. So maybe lock it in as a given.

MrMahatma
27-06-2019, 08:18 AM
It's the first name that usually comes into my head when I am trying to think of Zaine too. I think it's the A/Z binary thing.
Zaine is playing like Ayce currently.

Mantis
27-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Bevo mentioned at this morning's presser that assuming all get through training that there will be no change this week.

GVGjr
27-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Bevo mentioned at this morning's presser that assuming all get through training that there will be no change this week.

They'll take an extra player over so highly likely to be no change.

FWIW, I think we need to test a couple of the guys a bit further to see if they have a future with us beyond this year

BornInDroopSt'54
27-06-2019, 07:53 PM
ROUND 15 TEAM

B: Jason Johannisen, Jackson Trengove, Bailey Williams
HB: Caleb Daniel, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
C: Lachie Hunter, Bailey Smith, Pat Lipinski
HF: Matt Suckling, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
F: Marcus Bontempelli, Aaron Naughton, Tory Dickson
Foll: Tim English, Josh Dunkley, Jack Macrae
Int: Hayden Crozier, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith
Emer: Lewis Young, Toby McLean, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young

BornInDroopSt'54
27-06-2019, 07:53 PM
No change.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2019, 07:59 PM
As listed, it's arguably a four man half-back flanker interchange bench. With a spare named at half forward just in case of emergency. With two more named as an emergency, if there's a real emergency.

bornadog
28-06-2019, 12:11 AM
As listed, it's arguably a four man half-back flanker interchange bench. With a spare named at half forward just in case of emergency. With two more named as an emergency, if there's a real emergency.

You need to give up on this HBF business, as they are just players that can play anywhere. ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
28-06-2019, 01:08 AM
Defenders are now attackers and the forwards are picked for their ability to defend. Penetrators and prophylactics.

MrMahatma
28-06-2019, 07:01 AM

At least they’re all reasonable users of the ball.

Axe Man
28-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Interesting to see Vandermeer named emergency, first time I assume? The coaches must be pleased with his progress.

Ghost Dog
28-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Looking forward to this game. Have respect for Port and their footy culture. Trengrove should have fun against his old side.
Agree with others - since the year is cooked, may as well get some experience into blokes.
If player A goes down, who is player B? These are the types of questions we need to iron out now.
Ruck, Backline, questions over depth and like to see some VFL faces come in.
Will be disappointed if we don't give Cavarra a run before the year is out.
But! Not going to happen.

Axe Man
28-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Looking forward to this game. Have respect for Port and their footy culture. Trengrove should have fun, love to see him in the ruck all day, English shoved forward. Will be disappointed if we don't give Cavarra a run before the year is out.

Will you be happy to see Cordy on Dixon?

Ghost Dog
28-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Dixon will be happy!

bornadog
28-06-2019, 03:12 PM

Watch him kick 6 after last week when he couldn't even take a mark.

Axe Man
28-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Watch him kick 6 after last week when he couldn't even take a mark.

He won't with Trengove on him. I reckon it's a good matchup for Jackson - battle of the beards.

bornadog
28-06-2019, 06:23 PM
He won't with Trengove on him. I reckon it's a good matchup for Jackson - battle of the beards.

Kicked 5 last year at Ballarat, and pretty sure Trengove was on him at times.

I am an optimist and hope we can pull of a win, but Dixon will still kick plenty win or lose.

Prince Imperial
28-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Kicked 5 last year at Ballarat, and pretty sure Trengove was on him at times.

I am an optimist and hope we can pull of a win, but Dixon will still kick plenty win or lose.

Trengove was our main ruck and our best player on that freezing day (worst weather in my forty years of going to games). Adams was mostly on Dixon and was slaughtered.

GVGjr
28-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Trengove was our main ruck and our best player on that freezing day (worst weather in my forty years of going to games). Adams was mostly on Dixon and was slaughtered.

Adams was mostly on Dixon and yes Trengove was in the ruck and performed well
It was the Mars Stadium game where there were only about 6,500 people at the game. Many chose to stay home

Naughton, Adams, Roberts and even Roughead struggled to hold Ports talls

bornadog
28-06-2019, 11:02 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

jeemak
29-06-2019, 06:38 AM
I digress. We actually put in a solid effort against the Pies last week, and while we didn't have Billy Gowers bad haircut to blame for our goal kicking we can't really do anything that will change that from a selection point of view.

GVGjr
29-06-2019, 09:10 AM
I digress. We actually put in a solid effort against the Pies last week, and while we didn't have Billy Gowers bad haircut to blame for our goal kicking we can't really do anything that will change that from a selection point of view.

Against Collingwood we just needed a miss by them and one more accurate kick from us. We really put in a good performances on so many levels. Scoreboard accuracy was our issue

GVGjr
29-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Port are an impressive team and I'm not as confident against them as I was against the Pies but if we can get on a role we should test them. If Naughton has a good game it could test them

azabob
29-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Against Collingwood we just needed a miss by them and one more accurate kick from us. We really put in a good performances on so many levels. Scoreboard accuracy was our issue

According to the expected goals stat we should've won by around three goals, and we also should be sitting equal 8th.

We are all getting sick of the whole coulda, shoulda, woulda.

azabob
29-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Port are an impressive team and I'm not as confident against them as I was against the Pies but if we can get on a role we should test them. If Naughton has a good game it could test them

Port are a very up and down team, if it was in Melbourne I have no doubt we'd win.

The Adelaide Connection
29-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Weather update- Pissing down at the moment and have had over 10mm since about 6am.

60% chance of rain around 6pm, falling to about 40% by the first bounce, and 15% by 9pm.

If it becomes a repeat stoppage kind of slug, I wonder if we throw caution to the wind and ruck Trengove 50% with English sitting forward when he is resting to try to clunk any hacked kicks forward (or bring them to ground).

Even if we have to rotate Naughton between Forward and Back- I think it is a better option than having English get monstered by Lycett in three trillion ball ups.

Happy Days
29-06-2019, 12:20 PM
I’m in Adelaide by happenstance so I’m gonna cop this game - can confirm its wet as hell but not raining right now.

I don’t know if a wet game favours us or not. Lycett is an incredible stoppage ruckman and slaughtered Carlton in similar conditions earlier this year. At the same time I think our mids are slightly better, Bont is the best wet weather player in AFL/VFL history (this is based on nothing btw) and the conditions will hopefully mitigate Dixon, who regularly kills us.

We should have won in the monsoon at Adelaide last year, but we seem to be saying that most weeks.