PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 17, Vs Melbourne

Scraggers
31-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 16 match against Geelong for our Round 17, 2019 match against Melbourne at Marvel Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
06-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
06-07-2019, 11:02 PM
In: West (another 20+ touches, and two goals. Reward the form)
Out: Richards/Roarke

I'm assuming Morris is playing at least another one or two in the VFL.

westdog54
06-07-2019, 11:04 PM
In: West (another 20+ touches, and two goals. Reward the form)
Out: Richards/Roarke

I'm assuming Morris is playing at least another one or two in the VFL.

I can live with this.

I could just as easily live with no change.

Mantis
06-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Roarke is getting close to the never again stage... which is sad as he seems a great kid, but he was lost out there tonight. Just 1 kick and absolutely no influence.

Hotdog60
07-07-2019, 12:15 AM
West for R.S for me

Bulldog4life
07-07-2019, 12:16 AM
Libba said he should be right too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-07-2019, 12:29 AM
Libba said he should be right too.

I can't believe I'm considering this....but Libba goes to VFL next week.
Disclosure: I love Libba- he's best 10 let alone 22.
But on the back of 2 huge wins against the odds, does he need to earn it??
Does Rhylee get a go?
Just a question.

westbulldog
07-07-2019, 12:46 AM
In West Libba (if fit)
Out Roarke Smith Dickson

kruder
07-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Keep playing Schache please match committee.

MrMahatma
07-07-2019, 12:54 AM
Loved Roarke last week.

Reckon he undid it all tonight.

I’d drop him for Morris or Libba. Or prob whoever is best-ish at Footscray this week.

bornadog
07-07-2019, 01:15 AM
In Wallis
out Roarke

Happy Days
07-07-2019, 02:55 AM
I can't believe I'm considering this....but Libba goes to VFL next week.
Disclosure: I love Libba- he's best 10 let alone 22.
But on the back of 2 huge wins against the odds, does he need to earn it??
Does Rhylee get a go?
Just a question.

It's a fair question - our midfield mix has been tremendous for the last month and if Libba plays he's in the middle. Who's CBAs does he take?

He has to come in but we really need to ensure that all the hungry mouths get fed.

kruder
07-07-2019, 12:54 PM
I don't think Roarke is in the best 22 but I'd play him again not a fan of dropping a young player after one poor game. West must be close if they decide to do so.

Dicko is on the edge, he is one of my favourites but needs to do more without the ball in hand. I think he has had just enough scoreboard impact to play him again.

I'd give Morris( still not sure who he comes in for), Wallis and Libba(if fit) a game in the VFL.

No change for me.

azabob
07-07-2019, 12:59 PM
Good summary as always kruder.

I think West is next cab off the rank, from the outside looking in he is banging the door down and starting to impact the scoreboard.

For me its a toss up between Roarke Smith or Rhylee West.

Ozza
07-07-2019, 01:33 PM
I was at the Footscray/Richmond VFL game yesterday - and West should be playing next week.

Think Wallis would be better for a second run in the VFL. Not sure is absolutely AFL ready yet. Nor is Morris.

West is flying.

bornadog
07-07-2019, 01:35 PM
I was at the Footscray/Richmond VFL game yesterday - and West should be playing next week.

Think Wallis would be better for a second run in the VFL. Not sure is absolutely AFL ready yet. Nor is Morris.

West is flying.

I was there to. Thought West did well, but a bit patchy after halftime. I would love to see him in, and maybe against lowly Melbourne may be the right week.

BTW:we are the second lowest this year for making team changes.

Hotdog60
07-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Who's the lowest, Geelong?

bornadog
07-07-2019, 01:41 PM
Who's the lowest, Geelong?

Changes made by each team in 2019 (ignoring opening round)
41 - RICH
39 - MELB
36 - STK
35 - CARL
34 - ESS
33 - HAW
31 - GWS
30 - WCE
29 - GCS SYD
27 - ADEL NTH PORT
24 - BRIS COLL GEEL
21 - WBD
19 - FREM

Ozza
07-07-2019, 02:21 PM
I was there to. Thought West did well, but a bit patchy after halftime. I would love to see him in, and maybe against lowly Melbourne may be the right week.

Given he plays forward for big portions, a think its pretty expected that he would have the odd quiet patch. In the third quarter we were struggling to get entries into the breeze for a fair while.

Bullies
07-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Loved Roarke last week.

Reckon he undid it all tonight.

I’d drop him for Morris or Libba. Or prob whoever is best-ish at Footscray this week. Roarke did well against Port last week as the conditions brought everyone back to his level. When it is a fast track he is clearly out of his depth.

Axe Man
08-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Tom McDonald out for the season after finding form in recent weeks, kicked 6 in the first 3 quarters yesterday. They also lost Hore with a collarbone and Gawn must still be in some doubt. No excuses this Sunday.

The Adelaide Connection
08-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Surely West comes in for R. Smith.
Both 181 and 81ish kgs so it is like for like size wise, could West pay the role that we have had Roarke playing?

bornadog
08-07-2019, 04:42 PM
Roarke did well against Port last week as the conditions brought everyone back to his level. When it is a fast track he is clearly out of his depth.

He certainly is not impressing.

I am feeling today there will be no change.

merantau
08-07-2019, 08:37 PM
When you reach the pointy end of the season and the 8 is still a chance as Guru Bob would say: "There's no room for sentiment at the MC table on Thursday nights." Sorry Roarke.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-07-2019, 10:50 PM
I would go with no change, however could live with giving B.Smith a spell and throwing in West.

Only issue with this is if Libba, Morris and Wallis burn in the VFL would they drop West after just one game. Bevo never will.

Rocket Science
08-07-2019, 11:45 PM
What's with the calls to rest Baz? It's been suggested in these threads on a regular basis since the season practically began.

Why? He's killing it.

GVGjr
09-07-2019, 12:04 AM
What's with the calls to rest Baz? It's been suggested in these threads on a regular basis since the season practically began.

Why? He's killing it.

It's probably unlikely given how well he is playing but most first year players with limited preseason are managed by the clubs.
I did note that he started on the IC bench for 3 of the 4 quarters Saturday night

Bullies
09-07-2019, 09:18 AM
I would go with no change, however could live with giving B.Smith a spell and throwing in West.

Only issue with this is if Libba, Morris and Wallis burn in the VFL would they drop West after just one game. Bevo never will.

Surely you mean Roarke Smith. You put a B instead of an R.

Axe Man
09-07-2019, 10:36 AM
It's probably unlikely given how well he is playing but most first year players with limited preseason are managed by the clubs.
I did note that he started on the IC bench for 3 of the 4 quarters Saturday night

His time on ground was only 69% on the weekend, the lowest in the team. Looks like he is being managed within games.

Bulldog4life
09-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Roarke had his best game of his career against the Power. Be surprised if he is dropped this week.

GVGjr
09-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Roarke had his best game of his career against the Power. Be surprised if he is dropped this week.

I'm probably leaning that way but I could understand if Libba was returned or West was included

Bulldog4life
09-07-2019, 02:09 PM
I'm probably leaning that way but I could understand if Libba was returned or West was included

Agree there too G. A tough one.

Axe Man
09-07-2019, 02:38 PM

1 out of 15 aint bad! You are probably right though.

chef
09-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Agree there too G. A tough one.

Dont think the choice of R.Smith or Libba is a tough one.

If hes right to go he comes straight back in

Rocco Jones
09-07-2019, 03:29 PM
I think if Libba is right, he has to come in for Roarke. Libba has only missed 3 games. I wouldn't miss with the midfield mix and play Libba mainly foward.

Bulldog4life
09-07-2019, 03:51 PM
1 out of 15 aint bad! You are probably right though.

True Axe Man. Personally I would drop him just think that Bevo and that MC think differently. But you never know.

Bulldog4life
09-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Dont think the choice of R.Smith or Libba is a tough one.

If hes right to go he comes straight back in

I agree. Libba should be in without hesitation. I meant a tough one to work out how the MC thinks.

1eyedog
09-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Roarke played well against the Power but under 5 touches against the Cats when we were flinging the ball around is inexcusable and means he has to go.

Happy Days
09-07-2019, 05:15 PM
There's no way that Libba doesn't play to keep Roarke in the side. It's not under 10s, we don't have to be fair.

BulldogBelle
09-07-2019, 06:04 PM
Consideration for inclusion
+++++++++++++++++

R West - has been playing very well. Taking big marks, kicking useful goals. Has big future and is probably ready for a step-up to AFL. But who to drop?

Lewis Young - Can do just about anything. Good pack mark and spoiler, long kick carry and run with ball. I think that it will not be long before he gets into our top 10. Could replace Trengove if his back injury heals.

Mitch Wallis - One of the best last week in the VFL. The last time he came back from a spell in the reserves he had to get about 3 bests in a row. He is one of our top 22. Could replace Tory Dickson or Roarke Smith.

Tony Liberatore - A champ. Can sometimes win you a game. Does he need conditioning in the VFL, its not normal that high-calibre players go into the VFL first. However Libba has been out for a while. Don't know his fitness.

Bailey Dale - A reasonably good game last week, shocking miss after kick for goal in first quarter. I'd like to see him consistently get among the best in the VFL before considering him again.

Dale Morris - Is he match fit? Had a reasonable game against Richmond last week. Maybe another week in the two's. He would replace Roarke Smith.

Vandermeer, Cavara and Sweet. These guys are going well, Sweet seems to have an ankle problem. Don't think they are quite ready but not far off.

Will Hayes - keep trying and another chance may come up.

Lachie Young - His VFL form has never suggested that he get an AFL game. It still doesn't. He has talent and may make it in the future.

Fletcher Roberts - should retire and take Jong, Porter, Lynch, R Smith and Gowers with him.

Ryan Gardiner - After seeing his first and spectacular VFL game you couldn't wait until you got him into AFL. But he hasn't played such a good VFL game since. After his first AFL game you would play him some more, but he hasn't played a good game since. Now he has a poorly leg and probably will not make the VFL this week.

In the Gun
+++++++

Roarke Smith - should have been delisted 3 years ago. He played a super game against Port. His one main talent of a big leap for a mark isn't enough.

Trengove - takes on the opposition brutes but gives away too many free kicks and terrible clangers.

Tory Dickson - doesn't get enough of the ball for my liking and is shown up by Sam Lloyd for work rate. As long as Tory kicks goals, he stays.

Taylor Duryea - Is only 28 years old. Does OK, sometimes not OK. Got nothing special about him. I think Mitch Wallis would be a better player all around.

Bailey Smith - He is going exceptionally well considering he is a first year player. Does he need a rest? Doesn't seem so. The medical staff should tell us if he has general soreness, but there is no mention of that. So he stays.

My Changes.
++++++++

In Mitch Wallis
In Lewis Young
In Rhylee West

Out Roarke Smith
Out Taylor Duryea
Out Jackson Trengove

Libba to get some match conditioning in the VFL - I really have no real idea whether or not he needs it though.

chef
09-07-2019, 06:06 PM
Tony Liberatore - A champ. Can sometimes win you a game. Does he need conditioning in the VFL, its not normal that high-calibre players go into the VFL first. However Libba has been out for a while. Don't know his fitness.

Libba to get some match conditioning in the VFL - I really have no real idea whether or not he needs it though.

Tom;) apparently ran 10kms on the weekend. Sounds like he's cherry ripe.

hujsh
09-07-2019, 06:37 PM

Years and years. Have to agree he is a champ though

AshMac
09-07-2019, 06:54 PM
few calling for Trengove to be dropped, thought he was very good outside of his standard 2 horrendous, opposition goal g flangers we’ve all come to expect from him each week.

The only way I can see him dropped is because Tom MacDonald is our. Having said that with weiterman and potentially preuss down there an experienced lock down will be needed. I don’t see him being dropped.

If anyone Roarke, but who knows with him 🤷*!♂️

Bullies
09-07-2019, 08:49 PM
There's no way that Libba doesn't play to keep Roarke in the side. It's not under 10s, we don't have to be fair. Totally agree. It is a no brainer. Conditions against Port suited Roarke. It brought everyone except the Bont back to his skill level.

1eyedog
09-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Consideration for inclusion
+++++++++++++++++

R West - has been playing very well. Taking big marks, kicking useful goals. Has big future and is probably ready for a step-up to AFL. But who to drop?

Lewis Young - Can do just about anything. Good pack mark and spoiler, long kick carry and run with ball. I think that it will not be long before he gets into our top 10. Could replace Trengove if his back injury heals.

Mitch Wallis - One of the best last week in the VFL. The last time he came back from a spell in the reserves he had to get about 3 bests in a row. He is one of our top 22. Could replace Tory Dickson or Roarke Smith.

Bailey Dale - A reasonably good game last week, shocking miss after kick for goal in first quarter. I'd like to see him consistently get among the best in the VFL before considering him again.

Dale Morris - Is he match fit? Had a reasonable game against Richmond last week. Maybe another week in the two's. He would replace Roarke Smith.

Vandermeer, Cavara and Sweet. These guys are going well, Sweet seems to have an ankle problem. Don't think they are quite ready but not far off.

Will Hayes - keep trying and another chance may come up.

Lachie Young - His VFL form has never suggested that he get an AFL game. It still doesn't. He has talent and may make it in the future.

Fletcher Roberts - should retire and take Jong, Porter, Lynch, R Smith and Gowers with him.

Ryan Gardiner - After seeing his first and spectacular VFL game you couldn't wait until you got him into AFL. But he hasn't played such a good VFL game since. After his first AFL game you would play him some more, but he hasn't played a good game since. Now he has a poorly leg and probably will not make the VFL this week.

In the Gun
+++++++

Roarke Smith - should have been delisted 3 years ago. He played a super game against Port. His one main talent of a big leap for a mark isn't enough.

Trengove - takes on the opposition brutes but gives away too many free kicks and terrible clangers.

Tory Dickson - doesn't get enough of the ball for my liking and is shown up by Sam Lloyd for work rate. As long as Tory kicks goals, he stays.

Taylor Duryea - Is only 28 years old. Does OK, sometimes not OK. Got nothing special about him. I think Mitch Wallis would be a better player all around.

Bailey Smith - He is going exceptionally well considering he is a first year player. Does he need a rest? Doesn't seem so. The medical staff should tell us if he has general soreness, but there is no mention of that. So he stays.

My Changes.
++++++++

In Mitch Wallis
In Lewis Young
In Rhylee West

Out Roarke Smith
Out Taylor Duryea
Out Jackson Trengove

Young is sore won't be available for a few weeks. Libba for Roarke is all I'd like to see.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2019, 09:12 PM
No. I would be happy to give Bailey a rest. We will need him cherry ripe come September.

Don’t forget it’s only Melbourne we can afford to manage our list over the next three weeks.

hujsh
09-07-2019, 10:47 PM
No. I would be happy to give Bailey a rest. We will need him cherry ripe come September.

Don’t forget it’s only Melbourne we can afford to manage our list over the next three weeks.

Said the supporter of the club that has lost to Carlton and Gold Coast already.

Can't afford to be thinking it's 'only' anyone. Every game is must win and can be lost

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Said the supporter of the club that has lost to Carlton and Gold Coast already.

Can't afford to be thinking it's 'only' anyone. Every game is must win and can be lost

I'm guessing Bumper Buuldogs had tongue firmly planted in cheek with that one.

This week's game has DANGER written all over it.
We need everything to go right from here on in. There is no margin for error if we have any aspirations beyond rnd 23.
As you say,we've got plenty of examples of losing games that we should not have dropped to get anywhere near ahead of ourselves.

Simply put, we don't even have any right to think about the possibility of finals without winning the next 3 games straight.

kruder
09-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Wallis is playing VFL again, sounds like his ankle is still an issue.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
09-07-2019, 11:17 PM
I want Libba in...but unless there are any sore players, i don't see the MC making changes.
But if they do, then its Roarke to make way for either Libba or West.
Has Libba shown he can play in the forward 50? Is West a chance in that role?

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-07-2019, 11:50 PM
I want Libba in...but unless there are any sore players, i don't see the MC making changes.
But if they do, then its Roarke to make way for either Libba or West.
Has Libba shown he can play in the forward 50? Is West a chance in that role?
If Libba is fit enough then you would expect him to be an automatic selection. There is a good blending of experience and youth at the moment and you would be reluctant to bring in West at this stage.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2019, 01:30 AM
Expect Bevo to blood someone from the VFL this week. Just have the feeling he will try to mix it up.

dog town
10-07-2019, 07:12 AM
I find calls for Duryea to be dropped interesting. My hunch when we recruited him was that he was there to help organise our defence and set us up behind the ball. I get the feeling when Matty Boyd fell over and Morris started getting injured this became a major issue for us.

We have won every game since he returned and our scores against have suddenly dropped. The first 4 rounds when he was available we didn’t concede more than 87 in any game. It could be a coincidence but I would be shocked if he isn’t playing a major role in this.

Bullies
10-07-2019, 08:56 AM
I find calls for Duryea to be dropped interesting. My hunch when we recruited him was that he was there to help organise our defence and set us up behind the ball. I get the feeling when Matty Boyd fell over and Morris started getting injured this became a major issue for us.

We have won every game since he returned and our scores against have suddenly dropped. The first 4 rounds when he was available we didn’t concede more than 87 in any game. It could be a coincidence but I would be shocked if he isn’t playing a major role in this. Good post. The quiet achiever and has good skill. Gets a role each week and does it well. If you watch Duryea he also helps with the set up down back.

GVGjr
10-07-2019, 10:38 AM

We have won every game since he returned and our scores against have suddenly dropped. The first 4 rounds when he was available we didn’t concede more than 87 in any game. It could be a coincidence but I would be shocked if he isn’t playing a major role in this.

Is there that many calls for him to be dropped?
I thought he was a very good contributor against Geelong

While Bevo is critical of the lack of influence runners can provide now I've watched our backline all season including the JLT and the likes of Crozier, Duryea, JJ, Dale, Wood and Trengove play a vital role once they come onto the ground after a break on the bench in reorganising the back 6. Duryea and Crozier are two that really stand out to me in that area

I'd be very surprised if he was dropped given his form is pretty good and the role he plays in helping organise the back 6

Ghost Dog
10-07-2019, 10:54 AM
I don't want him dropped. He's lively and an attacking defender with smarts. If he had to play forward he could.

dog town
10-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Is there that many calls for him to be dropped?
I thought he was a very good contributor against Geelong

While Bevo is critical of the lack of influence runners can provide now I've watched our backline all season including the JLT and the likes of Crozier, Duryea, JJ, Dale, Wood and Trengove play a vital role once they come onto the ground after a break on the bench in reorganising the back 6. Duryea and Crozier are two that really stand out to me in that area

I'd be very surprised if he was dropped given his form is pretty good and the role he plays in helping organise the back 6 Not as much this week but in last weeks match committee thread he was mentioned extensively for demotion. He seems to be moving guys around and adjusting things at behind the ball at stoppages or any time the ball gets slowed down.

hujsh
10-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Dureya is regularly mentioned as a potential demotee in this thread (match committee threads generally, not this specific one)

bornadog
10-07-2019, 11:44 AM
Dureya is regularly mentioned as a potential demotee in this thread

Has been an excellent pickup and his experience helps the backline.

Ozza
10-07-2019, 11:45 AM
+++++++++++++++++

In the Gun
+++++++

My Changes.
++++++++

In Mitch Wallis
In Lewis Young
In Rhylee West

Out Roarke Smith
Out Taylor Duryea
Out Jackson Trengove

I don't see how any of Dickson, Duyrea or Trengove would be 'in the gun'.
Since Dickson came back in, we've won 3 games, and the 1 we lost we probably should have won v Collingwood. We are 6-5 this year with Dicko in the team and are simply a better team with him in it right now. His impact is more than just the stats sheet, and others in the forward line perform better when he is there.

Trengove frustrates me at times, but we are clearly better with him in the side, with his ability to play on the big forwards and the structure he gives us. Just wish he'd be more conservative with his kicking.

Duryea has been excellent the last two weeks. One bad blue v Port - but our set up defensively has been noticeably better with him out there.

Ozza
10-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Wallis is playing VFL again, sounds like his ankle is still an issue.

He did have trainers/medico's having a look at him in the third quarter on Saturday. His game was fine, but looked like he needed the run anyway. Wally could get 20+ in the VFL with one leg in the air - I'd prefer to see him get a big game under his belt before getting back in AFL.

mjp
10-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Libba has only missed 3 games.

Yeah - the games against Collingwood, Port and Geelong which you could argue were our 3x best efforts of the season...

Let him come through the VFL. Didn't seem to hurt Toby...and it isn't as if he was lighting it up before getting injured.

bornadog
10-07-2019, 05:47 PM
For those thinking of going, some cheap seats available: https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1148839483434885120

Mantis
10-07-2019, 07:25 PM
He did have trainers/medico's having a look at him in the third quarter on Saturday. His game was fine, but looked like he needed the run anyway. Wally could get 20+ in the VFL with one leg in the air - I'd prefer to see him get a big game under his belt before getting back in AFL.

It will be interesting to see how he is used if/when he gets back. The mix is looking ok at present and what Mitch offers we already have enough of.

bornadog
11-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Press conference-

Libba,won’t be rushed back.

Gowers back for FB

Morris May have one more week at FB

sounds like unchanged team. Roarke lucky if that is the case

ratsmac
11-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Out - Roarke Smith ( bit stiff after one quiet game but there's competition for spots)

In - Libba if fit otherwise West Jnr

Rourke is the only one I can see coming out of the team because his spot is easier to cover. He had one quiet game and it will probably cost him his spot. Cordy had several down weeks but he had plenty of credits in the bank and we don't exactly have a ready reliable replacement for him which saved his arse. Rourke is unlucky because Libba, Wallis and West can all easily play his role.

Tom MacDonald going down has definitely swung this game in our favour. In saying that if we take this mob lightly it will bite us in the backside just like GC and Carlton.

Melbourne have struggled in defence all year but with Lever (likely inclusion) and May now back in their line up they should be better organised back there. After working their way on top of Geelongs backline last week our forwards will be full of confidence you would expect so that will be an intriguing battle.

Max Gawn will be chomping at the bit to have a crack at the skinny chilli (English) so I expect him to play, therefore our mids will be looking to shark the oppositions tap work as per usual. They have a couple of tough mids in Jones and Viney so I really hope Libba gets up to provide some protection for us in the phone box (had to say it) to release Bont and co.

With MacDonald going down it will leave Trengove with no real urgent match so he might be used to help out English with Gawn. If this happens we could see Naughton, Schache and English all up forward at some point which will be interesting to see how it fares.

I'd also like to see Bailey Smith match up on Oliver and follow him around. Oliver is a real natural player who just knows how to find the football so it could be a good experience to run with him for a bit. Bailey is on the verge of a huge break out game that will shake up the rising star betting odds, I can just feel it!

Important game this one to consolidate our awesome win against the ladder leaders last week, something that Port failed to do thanks to us. I'd love to see us win really comfortably this week to boost up our worrying percentage but in saying that the 4 points will do just nicely.

Axe Man
11-07-2019, 12:45 PM
Out - Roarke Smith ( bit stiff after one quiet game but there's competition for spots)

In - Libba if fit otherwise West Jnr

Rourke is the only one I can see coming out of the team because his spot is easier to cover. He had one quiet game and it will probably cost him his spot. Cordy had several down weeks but he had plenty of credits in the bank and we don't exactly have a ready reliable replacement for him which saved his arse. Rourke is unlucky because Libba, Wallis and West can all easily play his role.

Tom MacDonald going down has definitely swung this game in our favour. In saying that if we take this mob lightly it will bite us in the backside just like GC and Carlton.

Melbourne have struggled in defence all year but with Lever (likely inclusion) and May now back in their line up they should be better organised back there. After working their way on top of Geelongs backline last week our forwards will be full of confidence you would expect so that will be an intriguing battle.

Max Gawn will be chomping at the bit to have a crack at the skinny chilli (English) so I expect him to play, therefore our mids will be looking to shark the oppositions tap work as per usual. They have a couple of tough mids in Jones and Viney so I really hope Libba gets up to provide some protection for us in the phone box (had to say it) to release Bont and co.

With MacDonald going down it will leave Trengove with no real urgent match so he might be used to help out English with Gawn. If this happens we could see Naughton, Schache and English all up forward at some point which will be interesting to see how it fares.

I'd also like to see Bailey Smith match up on Oliver and follow him around. Oliver is a real natural player who just knows how to find the football so it could be a good experience to run with him for a bit. Bailey is on the verge of a huge break out game that will shake up the rising star betting odds, I can just feel it!

Important game this one to consolidate our awesome win against the ladder leaders last week, something that Port failed to do thanks to us. I'd love to see us win really comfortably this week to boost up our worrying percentage but in saying that the 4 points will do just nicely.

I imagine that Pruess will remain in the team whether Gawn plays or not with McDonald out. If Gawn does play that means Pruess will be mostly forward and Trengove will be the most suitable matchup.

English will lose the ruck battle but if Gawn is a bit proppy he needs to expose him around the ground.

FYI (sorry to be that guy) the phrase is champing at the bit, not chomping at the bit. So many people get that one wrong.

Axe Man
11-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Press conference-

Gowers back for FB

New player?;)

Happy Days
11-07-2019, 01:05 PM
New player?;)

Doris Day’s half-brother

Bulldog4life
11-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Press conference-

Gowers back for FB

Thought it might play out like that.

1eyedog
11-07-2019, 01:41 PM
I imagine that Pruess will remain in the team whether Gawn plays or not with McDonald out. If Gawn does play that means Pruess will be mostly forward and Trengove will be the most suitable matchup.

English will lose the ruck battle but if Gawn is a bit proppy he needs to expose him around the ground.

FYI (sorry to be that guy) the phrase is champing at the bit, not chomping at the bit. So many people get that one wrong.

Gotta move with the times :D. Champing at the bit is grammatically correct, but dead in the English language. Chomping at the bit is 20 times more known and popular and hence is now the accepted (unofficial) form. Chomping is also a variant of champing and is alive and well inn the English language. Champing as I said is now obsolete.

Linguistics are cool and often finds its own form. This phrase being a case in point. Having been said wrongly for so long it has now evolved into an accepted reworking of it.

R. Smith out
T. Liberatore in (won't happen). But if Tom plays VFL he should be playing AFL. He doesn't need touch or match fitness. He plays AFL or is rested again hopefully.

Axe Man
11-07-2019, 01:47 PM
Gotta move with the times :D. Champing at the bit is grammatically correct, but dead in the English language. Chomping at the bit is 20 times more known and popular and hence is now the accepted (unofficial) form. Chomping is also a variant of champing and is alive and well inn the English language. Champing as I said is now obsolete.

Chomping doesn't actually make sense though:

YOU’RE SAYING IT WRONG! CHAMPING VS. CHOMPING (https://www.portablepress.com/blog/2014/04/chomping-vs-champing/)

In the end, it’s just wrong to say “chomping,” because “chomping” is a transitive verb, or a verb that needs an object for it to make sense. In other words, you have to have something to chomp on if you want to use “chomp.” A horse doesn’t chomp, or bite, the bit—he champs, or grinds, his teeth. No bit is necessary for a champing to happen, so champing is an intransitive verb, which means no “object” is required.

To be honest the grammar doesn't worry me, it's just the saying is champing, you can't just go and change it! There are heaps of sayings that are outdated but we don't just go and modernise them for the hell of it.

1eyedog
11-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Anyway, it's a democratic society and 77% for Chomp wins the vote! :D

Rocket Science
11-07-2019, 02:00 PM
R. Smith out
T. Liberatore in (won't happen). But if Tom plays VFL he should be playing AFL. He doesn't need touch or match fitness. He plays AFL or is rested again hopefully.

Reading that gave me instant flashbacks. C'mon, Bubba deserves another chance.

Aye, suspect we'll let Libba of the Tom variety tune up in the twos, we're a tough team to get into now apparently.

Speaking of flashbacks, keen to see West get an opportunity and wonder if it'll come against one of the next couple of relatively 'easy' kills.

Axe Man
11-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Anyway, it's a democratic society and 77% for Chomp wins the vote! :D

The same democratic society that voted in Trump?:rolleyes:

hujsh
11-07-2019, 02:43 PM
The same democratic society that voted in Trump?:rolleyes:

Well not to be that guy but... more people voted for someone else.

1eyedog
11-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Is anyone on here favouring Roarke over Mitch?

Rocco Jones
11-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Is anyone on here favouring Roarke over Mitch?

Mitch still having issues with foot and needs to be managed in VFL.

1eyedog
11-07-2019, 04:26 PM
That's right I forgot he's on a strict load program and seeing how it comes up.

merantau
11-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Linguistics are cool and often finds its own form. This phrase being a case in point. Having been said wrongly for so long it has now evolved into an accepted reworking of it.

R. Smith out

Having 1eyedog as our in house linguist all goes well for the future of the English language on WOOF.

hujsh
11-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Bench ins are

Rhylee West,
Bailey Dale,
Dale Morris,
Lachie Young

None named on the ground so no clear indicator of a change yet. West first named on the bench though.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Whether it is this week or not, I can't wait to see Rhylee get a guernsey.
I think Morris might have to wait another week. It might've been different if Tom McDonald hadn't injured himself.
Roarke is the only one that I think might be teetering a bit in the minds of the MC, but my gut says they give him another week to perform.

Mofra
11-07-2019, 09:45 PM
I'd go with no change.

These games are the type we have dropped in the past. With the fightback jumper we really need to get the group fired up for a big one.

Doc26
11-07-2019, 10:10 PM
I'd go with no change.

These games are the type we have dropped in the past. With the fightback jumper we really need to get the group fired up for a big one.

I agree. These games, coming off the high, and where we’re not the underdog, are ones we have trouble with.
I’m eager to see whether we’ve developed mentally to put away this type of game, and if so it should put us in an exciting position to finish off the season well.

MrMahatma
11-07-2019, 11:14 PM
I agree. These games, coming off the high, and where we’re not the underdog, are ones we have trouble with.
I’m eager to see whether we’ve developed mentally to put away this type of game, and if so it should put us in an exciting position to finish off the season well.

Yep. I’m worried. Plus all these articles talking us up. Recipe for disaster.

1eyedog
11-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Having 1eyedog as our in house linguist all goes well for the future of the English language on WOOF.

I'll take that as tongue in cheek my 11 year old is more articulate than me.

The Dees are more formidable than people think and are starting to get a few back, Jetta and Lever are underdone but both are very good players. We'll need to bring our A game or at least our B+ game to beat this mob.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Not sure why but I’m concerned about this one far more than last week. Viney and Jones really set them selves for us and generally play well against us. We curb them two we win simple as that

1eyedog
12-07-2019, 08:29 AM
We have good form but it's 50/50 as far as I'm concerned. Taking my daughter to her first game. Hopefully we can get across the line.

westbulldog
12-07-2019, 11:41 AM
West McLean Williams and Morris should be the bench imo. What Roarke Smith, Bailey Dale and Lachie Young have done lately escapes me. Lachie Young shows potential however Bailey Dale doesn't perform when he gets elevated and you are only as good as your last game and Roarke's was a non event. When Dale Morris runs onto the ground it should and will inspire every player and supporter.

Axe Man
12-07-2019, 12:00 PM
West McLean Williams and Morris should be the bench imo. What Roarke Smith, Bailey Dale and Lachie Young have done lately escapes me. Lachie Young shows potential however Bailey Dale doesn't perform when he gets elevated and you are only as good as your last game and Roarke's was a non event. When Dale Morris runs onto the ground it should and will inspire every player and supporter.

Morris probably isn't ready yet and there isn't really a matchup for him this week either. I would be very concerned at seeing all of Trengove, Cordy, Wood and Morris in the backline, especially with Caleb out - our run from defence would be seriously lacking.

westbulldog
12-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Morris probably isn't ready yet and there isn't really a matchup for him this week either. I would be very concerned at seeing all of Trengove, Cordy, Wood and Morris in the backline, especially with Caleb out - our run from defence would be seriously lacking.

last week wasn't too bad though :- Dale Morris 13 disposals, seven marks, three rebound 50’s. Plus his presence inspires and transcends all else.

Murphy'sLore
12-07-2019, 04:01 PM

I saw what you did there.

The Underdog
12-07-2019, 06:02 PM
No change, which is fair enough. Roarke’s haircut really goes with the Fight back jumper.

Axe Man
12-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Melbourne:
IN
Jake Lever, Neville Jetta, Max Gawn
OUT
Marty Hore (Injured), Sam Weideman (Injured), Tom McDonald (Injured)

No recognised tall forward with both McDonald and Weideman out. Pruess to pinch hit down there. We really should be able to make it difficult for them to score.

1eyedog
12-07-2019, 07:36 PM
No change, which is fair enough. Roarke’s haircut really goes with the Fight back jumper.

Surely his last chance.

The Underdog
12-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Surely his last chance.

He was pretty good 2 weeks ago and had a poor one last week, so not sure that's the case, but probably lucky that none of Tom, Mitch or Dale were quite ready.

AutoFill
14-07-2019, 02:57 AM
Am I the only one thinking that in comparison to the first half of the year the penny seems to have dropped with the Match Committee? The last few weeks teams have been solid and what do you know: we’re winning. I reckon if West and Morris over the next couple of weeks and then Libba and Caleb return we will be an awesome side to contend with.

GVGjr
14-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Am I the only one thinking that in comparison to the first half of the year the penny seems to have dropped with the Match Committee? The last few weeks teams have been solid and what do you know: we’re winning. I reckon if West and Morris over the next couple of weeks and then Libba and Caleb return we will be an awesome side to contend with.

I think there is something to that. We started to play better football once we picked better balanced sides

Mofra
14-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Melbourne:
IN
Jake Lever, Neville Jetta, Max Gawn
OUT
Marty Hore (Injured), Sam Weideman (Injured), Tom McDonald (Injured)

No recognised tall forward with both McDonald and Weideman out. Pruess to pinch hit down there. We really should be able to make it difficult for them to score.
Trengove needs to just try and get his opponent to stop and wrestle so we can have a third man in at every contest. Cordy is the second tall player but our smaller jumping types (Wood and Crozier) should be able to peel off and play this role perfectly.

Perhaps they try Lever or Frost forward? Frost is super quick for a tall.

westbulldog
14-07-2019, 01:10 PM
Ideal time to bring in West and we didn't. Roarke had better perform today.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-07-2019, 01:29 PM
I’m sure he will. The Dees don’t rate him. West will get his chance I’m sure

Testekill
14-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Disappointing marking contest there, three Demons went up and only Fletcher contested.

Testekill
14-07-2019, 03:17 PM
79 for Melbourne seems like a bit of a dick, smiling after nearly taking Nash's head off

Testekill
14-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Casey getting away with a lot of scragging and holding on

Vred
14-07-2019, 04:30 PM
That’s the Richards we love