03-06-2019, 02:20 PM
And who do we play after the bye.
Yep Carlton

That’s ok, they play this week.

bornadog
03-06-2019, 02:27 PM
And who do we play after the bye.
Yep Carlton

They don't have a bye, they play Brisbane.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2019, 02:29 PM
What. What. What? He had the support of the board.

Mofra
03-06-2019, 02:35 PM
SOS is the problem, not their coach

Murphy'sLore
03-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Poor Brendan Bolton. He was always so happy. There's probably more of an argument that Carlton broke him than that he broke Carlton.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2019, 02:38 PM
SOS is the problem, not their coach

Yep. Pick 1 is out the door for around pick 12-14 this year. SOS is hamstringing the climb up the ladder with blinkers on ex-GWS players and interesting trades. The next coach can't even take over the wooden spoon team and dream about the number one draft pick player to choose.

G-Mo77
03-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Poor Brendan Bolton. He was always so happy. There's probably more of an argument that Carlton broke him than that he broke Carlton.

Would love him here as an assistant.

Axe Man
03-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Would love him here as an assistant.

He was highly regarded as an assistant at Hawthorn and would have worked with Bevo. Could be worth sounding him out for next year.

Flamethrower
03-06-2019, 03:01 PM
He was highly regarded as an assistant at Hawthorn and would have worked with Bevo. Could be worth sounding him out for next year.

Why wait until next year? Bevo needs help NOW.

chef
03-06-2019, 03:04 PM
But does he want help?

lemmon
03-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Hmmm...interesting that Brad Scott largely signed his own exit form a week before this happens and Bolton was 'safe' as of 3 weeks ago. I wonder whether the Blues may have Scott already lined up

macca
03-06-2019, 03:28 PM
The lunacy at carlton contiunes .
Interestingly David teague seems to be there for ages .

They are stuck in no where land now . Who would be bothered with this lot? Sacking coach after coach . Bolton was the development coach they needed.
Why doesnt silvagni scrutinised ?

bornadog
03-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Listening to Brendan and he said, we knew realistically it would be difficult to win games with 15 players under 60 games. Funny we have 26, plus Jong 61

bulldogtragic
03-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Bolton is handling this so very, very well. Impressive bloke. If we ever thought about turning our coaching team over, I'd like him a lot.

bornadog
03-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Bolton is handling this so very, very well. Impressive bloke. If we ever thought about turning our coaching team over, I'd like him a lot.

as an assistant, yes.

Rocket Science
03-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Please can we stop drawing clubs who’ve just sacked the cockroach?

At this rate I’d expect Richardson to get the flick just prior to our clash with them.

As an aside, I wonder if Carlton looks at a certain young premiership coach who’s having some challenges and thinks hmmmm.

They’d be idiots if they didn’t.

Ozza
03-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Please can we stop drawing clubs who’ve just sacked the cockroach?

At this rate I’d expect Richardson to get the flick just prior to our clash with them.

As an aside, I wonder if Carlton looks at a certain young premiership coach who’s having some challenges and thinks hmmmm.

They’d be idiots if they didn’t.

At least they play Brissy in between.

Feel for Bolton, and there's other that should be sacked also at Carlton - but he deserved to be sacked unfortunately.

Every week he throws the extra number/numbers behind the ball and gives his own forwards no chance as they are outnumbered. He's given his young side no chance to use their instincts as footballers and has wasted a big portion of their chance to develop and in the process gave a supporter group just one game in the last 3 years where they scored 100 points (v us) - which just kills you.

GVGjr
03-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Listening to Brendan and he said, we knew realistically it would be difficult to win games with 15 players under 60 games. Funny we have 26, plus Jong 61

It's a plausible but inaccurate excuse. Much like Worsfold wanting this year to be regarded as his first at Essendon coaches aren't bad at exaggerating the reasons for their failures.

The problems at Carlton run a lot deeper than just the coach though.

Axe Man
03-06-2019, 04:55 PM

He was talking about the team yesterday having 15 under 60 games, not the list. We had 11 yesterday as a comparison.

bornadog
03-06-2019, 05:16 PM
He was talking about the team yesterday having 15 under 60 games, not the list. We had 11 yesterday as a comparison.

Thanks, I had it on in the background and didn't listen properly :o

I just checked their list and they have 33

The Doctor
03-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Send Carlton to the VFL. They're crap.

Silvagni? Talk about nepotism.

ledge
03-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Get McClure in there ...( and in the words of Charles Manson)”there will be nobody left”

Twodogs
03-06-2019, 10:34 PM
The lunacy at carlton contiunes .
Interestingly David teague seems to be there for ages .

They are stuck in no where land now . Who would be bothered with this lot? Sacking coach after coach . Bolton was the development coach they needed.
Why doesnt silvagni scrutinised ?

He's got another F/S sitting at home waiting to be drafted. Apparently this one can even play a bit!

Get McClure in there ...( and in the words of Charles Manson)”there will be nobody left”

The ex Collingwood and Fitzroy ruckman? He took it on himself to interchange himself onto the ground during a final once-apparently Leigh Matthews (or it might have been Bob Rose) said "What's Manson doing on the ground? Who sent him on? (It was back in the day that there would be less than 10 interchanges during the game and there was only 2 or 3 assistants in the box so it was easy to check) and the other coach's all said "Nope it wasn't me..."

What had happened is that one player had come off the ground and his replacement was taking more time getting ready to replace him than James was comfortable with so Manson said "F#$% this for a joke" and took his tracksuit top off and ran onto the ground! Nobody told him to come off or anything.

Mark McClure is a bit of a dickhead that just says the first thing that comes into his head. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my football club. He forgets that he is a commentator and never has to back up his words with any sense of reality or expose his thoughts to outcomes.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Yep. Pick 1 is out the door for around pick 12-14 this year. SOS is hamstringing the climb up the ladder with blinkers on ex-GWS players and interesting trades. The next coach can't even take over the wooden spoon team and dream about the number one draft pick player to choose.

I saw quite a good tweet that was being shared around that went something along the lines of:

Make Silvagni coach the rest of the year. He bought the groceries, lets see how he likes cooking with them.

1eyedog
04-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Love it when a favourite son goes rogue. Crazy Vossy, Hird and now SOS pulling the reins at the Blues. Perfect.

Remi Moses
04-06-2019, 10:50 AM
They are a rabble
Magnificent

Ghost Dog
04-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Love it when a favourite son goes rogue. Crazy Vossy, Hird and now SOS pulling the reins at the Blues. Perfect.

Carlton surely must have the record as the team with the most sacked coaches.
But I don't think it's good for the competition to have teams being beaten by 50 points each week. That includes us!
Some friends of mine are farmers, the husband Melbourne, the Wife carlton. Most footy fans are just working class people.

Remi Moses
04-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Interesting stat
He’s gone 4 from 43
He won 5 games as hawks interim coach

Axe Man
04-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Interesting stat
He’s gone 4 from 43
He won 5 games as hawks interim coach

Fitzroy won 3 of their last 44 games in their final 2 seasons and were promptly taken out the back and shot.

hujsh
04-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Fitzroy won 3 of their last 44 games in their final 2 seasons and were promptly taken out the back and shot.

Oh but Carlton are special they're oh so important to the competition we couldn't possibly recover from losing them.

Twodogs
04-06-2019, 12:04 PM

Actually they had been staggering around with gun shot wounds for at least 5 years before they finally died. That merger with us (and they would have gotten it if they hadn't been so greedy wanting the name and the colours and leaving us basically with just our mascot) was their last chance saloon. Once that went down the gurgler, Fitzroy wasn't long in following it.

Axe Man
04-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Actually they had been staggering around with gun shot wounds for at least 5 years before they finally died. That merger with us (and they would have gotten it if they hadn't been so greedy wanting the name and the colours and leaving us basically with just our mascot) was their last chance saloon. Once that went down the gurgler, Fitzroy wasn't long in following it.

Which is exactly why it is such an indictment on Carlton that their recent record is comparable to poor old Fitzroy with a cobbled together playing list and no money or facilities v Carlton with bucket load of high draft picks (both from the draft and via GWS) and luxuries the Lions players from the mid 90s could only dream of.

Happy Days
04-06-2019, 01:12 PM
I think Bolton is getting off lightly in the court of public opinion. Sos' list management and his obsession with GWS's leftovers is funny and all, but he's sucked the life out of a playing group littered with pretty special talents. His failure to get anything out of several elite juniors (Paddy Dow in particular looks to be on the fast track out of the system) or to build on solid starts (SPS and Curnow the main two I'm thinking of) by forcing a defensive game style to "get the most" out of the players right now couldn't go unpunished.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Which is exactly why it is such an indictment on Carlton that their recent record is comparable to poor old Fitzroy with a cobbled together playing list and no money or facilities v Carlton with bucket load of high draft picks (both from the draft and via GWS) and luxuries the Lions players from the mid 90s could only dream of.

And Chris Judd's mum cheering them on from behind the photocopier at Visy, on 300,000 a year. But don't quote me on that.
Some solace for a Bulldogs fan, Carlton are far worse than us from a club culture point of view.

GVGjr
04-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Carlton have the Suns and us in the following weeks don't they? It appears they were never going to give Bolton a chance to potentially string a couple of wins together

Rocket Science
04-06-2019, 03:13 PM
In truth what would wins over us and the Suns really signify though? Not much.

Greystache
04-06-2019, 04:00 PM
Carlton have the Suns and us in the following weeks don't they? It appears they were never going to give Bolton a chance to potentially string a couple of wins together

They've beaten (well pumped actually) us already this season. Would snagging another win or two have made much of a statement other than that the bottom 3 teams are all perhaps about as bad as Carlton? You could argue it might be used to push for more time for Bolton, or conversely a couple of easy wins might boost the confidence of the football department around their new coach, but surely they knew by now whether he was the man to take them forward or not? Maybe I'm giving football clubs strategic decision making more credit than it deserves but you'd like to think they're not as reactionary as a week to week cycle and can read their long term trend in isolation.

Look at it objectively and Gold Coast have been a rabble since inception and if they weren't the AFL's own franchise would probably have been wound up already, and we've been injured, or young, or unlucky, or misunderstood, or actually really good just losing every week or whatever the excuse is today, so winning one or even both couldn't be considered a breakthrough worthy of changing the direction of the entire football department.

Mofra
04-06-2019, 04:31 PM
Interesting to hear a few of the 'talking heads' in the media landscape say that Carlton were overcoached.
To me that was North's issue and they have looked much better since Scott has left.

I do wonder how much the structures/gameplans of the modern era are killing players with genuine X factor as they must 'follow team rules' before playing with instinct.

GVGjr
04-06-2019, 07:20 PM
I see Chris Judd is on the selection panel for the next coach. Has there been a more overrated and useless 'footy person' than Judd?

He mentioned yesterday that there wasn't a lot of quality applications when Bolton was appointed but also indicated there was a lot more interest this time. Of course no one took him too task but it's a strong indication that while they were giving Bolton their full support they had already been shopping around.

It's all well and good to be market aware but I think with North making their move early it triggered the earlier than expected removal of Bolton

Ghost Dog
04-06-2019, 07:48 PM
I see Chris Judd is on the selection panel for the next coach. Has there been a more overrated and useless 'footy person' than Judd?

He mentioned yesterday that there wasn't a lot of quality applications when Bolton was appointed but also indicated there was a lot more interest this time. Of course no one took him too task but it's a strong indication that while they were giving Bolton their full support they had already been shopping around.

It's all well and good to be market aware but I think with North making their move early it triggered the earlier than expected removal of Bolton

There were lots of good assistant coaches at that time and Bevo has proven that a good assistant can get the chocolates. Scott Burns has been at some pretty successful clubs, for example. Clubs have been ok with assistants moving to senior positions mid season in good faith. Not sure I buy that argument. It's papering over their list management decisions.
Under Mick they cleaned out a lot of players ( Waite, Betts ) who did ok to very well at other clubs. Takes a long time to come back from that sort of clean out.

Rocket Science
04-06-2019, 07:49 PM

Strewth, what a lovely epitaph for Bolton before the blood has even has a chance to dry.

May Judd and Silvagni continue to reign in perpetuity.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Strewth, what lovely epitaph for Bolton before the blood has even has a chance to dry.

Yeah it's pretty poor isn't it. Carlton's cheating, like Essendon's, continues to haunt them.

GVGjr
04-06-2019, 07:52 PM
They've beaten (well pumped actually) us already this season. Would snagging another win or two have made much of a statement other than that the bottom 3 teams are all perhaps about as bad as Carlton? You could argue it might be used to push for more time for Bolton, or conversely a couple of easy wins might boost the confidence of the football department around their new coach, but surely they knew by now whether he was the man to take them forward or not? Maybe I'm giving football clubs strategic decision making more credit than it deserves but you'd like to think they're not as reactionary as a week to week cycle and can read their long term trend in isolation.

Look at it objectively and Gold Coast have been a rabble since inception and if they weren't the AFL's own franchise would probably have been wound up already, and we've been injured, or young, or unlucky, or misunderstood, or actually really good just losing every week or whatever the excuse is today, so winning one or even both couldn't be considered a breakthrough worthy of changing the direction of the entire football department.

A couple of wins on the trot means it's that much harder to sack the coach until the end of the season
I get that he was dead man walking but Carlton jumped early because North did

Bulldog4life
04-06-2019, 11:47 PM
Strewth, what a lovely epitaph for Bolton before the blood has even has a chance to dry.

And to complicate it even more Ken Sheldon, who was on the coaching sub committee, said on SEN that there were a number of great candidates when Bolton was given the job.

Twodogs
05-06-2019, 09:45 AM
And to complicate it even more Ken Sheldon, who was on the coaching sub committee, said on SEN that there were a number of great candidates when Bolton was given the job.

That sounds exactly like the sort of over the top gushing praise that Trump carries on with and probably carries about as much meaning. "the queen is a good woman" No shit Sherlock, no wonder they gave you the top job...

Bulldog4life
08-06-2019, 03:55 PM
That sounds exactly like the sort of over the top gushing praise that Trump carries on with and probably carries about as much meaning. "the queen is a good woman" No shit Sherlock, no wonder they gave you the top job...

But he has beautiful hair.;)

Axe Man
09-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Talk that St Kilda could sack Richardson as soon as next week if they perform poorly against the Cats on Saturday night in Geelong. No prizes for guessing who they play next week.

We have already copped the Brad Scott farewell game, Carlton's second game under a new coach after a confidence boosting win over Brisbane, and now may be in line for a third helping!

bornadog
09-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Judd has also come out and said Teague won't be the future AFL coach for Carlton.

Happy Days
09-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Judd has also come out and said Teague won't be the future AFL coach for Carlton.

Interesting - wonder if he'll do a Paul Williams.

Twodogs
10-07-2019, 10:17 AM

And Carlton have come out and said Shut the *!*!*!*! up Chris, it's not up to you. The committee will appoint the person they think is best for the job

Mofra
10-07-2019, 10:26 AM
And Carlton have come out and said Shut the *!*!*!*! up Chris, it's not up to you. The committee will appoint the person they think is best for the job
He said they're looking for an experienced coach, Bolton aside they tend to have done that in the past.

Twodogs
10-07-2019, 10:30 AM
He said they're looking for an experienced coach, Bolton aside they tend to have done that in the past.

That was Monday. On Tuesday Carlton said that they don't mind if it's an experienced coach or not.

Axe Man
10-07-2019, 10:30 AM
For what it's worth (probably not much) Robbo thinks it will be Paul Roos and Michael Voss at Carlton next season.

Twodogs
10-07-2019, 10:33 AM
For what it's worth (probably not much) Robbo thinks it will be Paul Roos and Michael Voss at Carlton next season.

That would be a disaster. The two biggest dud coaches of the last 15 years together!

Please let it be. It may just finish the bastards off!

bornadog
10-07-2019, 11:36 AM
for what it's worth (probably not much) robbo thinks it will be paul roos and michael voss at carlton next season.

that would be a disaster. The two biggest dud coaches of the last 15 years together!

LOL - so funny

Rocket Science
10-07-2019, 11:44 AM
That would be a disaster. The two biggest dud coaches of the last 15 years together!

Get Hirdy in there as well.

Total armageddon.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Dunno, I would stick with their current coach if I were them. Why not? He's put results on the table. They attack more and second tier players have lifted. Like his pressers. Seems really professional. But hey, I guess he will get the door at the end of the year and some other club will get him. He'll then find success, just like Betts, Waite, etc etc.

Axe Man
10-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Kevin Bartlett is available...

bornadog
12-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Longmire has signed on for another 3 years at the Swans, so he won't be available for Carlton or North

Axe Man
12-07-2019, 06:12 PM
Longmuir has signed on for another 3 years at the Swans, so he won't be available for Carlton or North

Justin Longmuir, Collingwood assistant coach? Does Horse Longmire know about this?

bornadog
29-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Bolton to return to Hawks and Director of Coaching

The Doctor
29-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Bolton to return to Hawks and Director of Coaching

Thats good news and well done to the Hawks