PDA

View Full Version : Sheahan into the Dogs

1eyedog
07-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Rightfully so, we are irrelevant again - people don't care.

https://static.zerohanger.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/697132834-696x489.jpg?x90773

https://www.zerohanger.com/mike-sheahan-says-luke-beveridge-should-be-under-the-pump-30432/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=AFL+Zero+Hanger&fbclid=IwAR3UF8fmdNRwDzvgXnpkAho9_LEzBHMvz2shCwGclnIyKePInNn vgnmpbNY

bulldogtragic
07-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Hard to argue with a lot there.

Rocket Science
07-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Good.

That's the thing though isn't it. Who cares?

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2019, 04:50 PM
I'm amazed at the lack of criticism over the lat 3 years.

Can you imagine if Collingwood or Richmond didn't make the finals 3 years in a row after a flag?

1eyedog
07-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Hard to argue with a lot there.

There wasn't much there but he's lighting kindling. It's useful it goes to Bevo because he needs to be the one that says yeah I need more support. A reshuffle ain't gonna cut it he's gonna need to consider at least two new assistants, preferably a senior one. Considering he's brought no one in himself I'm sure he'd have some candidates in mind.

bulldogtragic
07-06-2019, 05:27 PM
There wasn't much there but he's lighting kindling. It's useful it goes to Bevo because he needs to be the one that says yeah I need more support. A reshuffle ain't gonna cut it he's gonna need to consider at least two new assistants, preferably a senior one. Considering he's brought no one in himself I'm sure he'd have some candidates in mind.

I don't see Bevo voluntarily asking for a new senior assistant, or coaching director.

1eyedog
07-06-2019, 05:51 PM
I don't see Bevo voluntarily asking for a new senior assistant, or coaching director.

Nope PG needs to tell him that's what's going to happen.

Sedat
07-06-2019, 07:55 PM
You can explain away 1 bad year after a flag as momentous as ours - it happened to the best of them in Clarko. But the next 18 months of on-field dross cannot be adequately explained or justified. The time to shake up the assistant coaches was at the end of 2017 - 2 years too late if it happens this year. Bevo righty deserves the glare of the spotlight.

Remi Moses
07-06-2019, 08:52 PM
Agree entirely. I get the post flag hangover
Wasn’t shocked there , but the inconsistency this season is infuriating

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-06-2019, 08:57 PM

This really falls on the shoulders of Chris Grant who has overall responsibility of the Football department. Maybe the appointment of Simon Garlick on the Board and given the role of his assisting fellow Board member Matthew Croft might lead to more urgent action in taking the appropriate measures towards adopting a far more professional approach designed to radically change our current structure.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Peter Gordon will have been asking that question two seasons ago and I'm pretty sure he knows what to do.

azabob
08-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Peter Gordon will have been asking that question two seasons ago and I'm pretty sure he knows what to do.

Then why has nothing changed?

Ghost Dog
09-06-2019, 11:31 AM
Ask him! Nuggety Back Pocket is actually Peter Gordon. Didn't you know that?;)

Ghost Dog
11-06-2019, 12:13 AM
Could look at it another way. A lot of commentators are into the Blues with a kind of false care, with analysis and polite comment. But actually they are rapt that club is a shambles! They get attention because they are easy to hate.
It's not as much fun pilloring us. Our fans are not annoying enough. By the same token our fans don't put the heat on our club like others.

ledge
12-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Just read an article where Peter Gordon has said he is going to extend Beveridges contract shortly.

bornadog
12-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Just read an article where Peter Gordon has said he is going to extend Beveridges contract shortly.

Excellent

bulldogtragic
12-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Not excellent. He's already contracted for 2020. We are 14th after falling three straight years, and still not addressed skills, including goal kicking. I'd look at his contract next year.

ledge
12-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Not excellent. He's already contracted for 2020. We are 14th after falling three straight years, and still not addressed skills, including goal kicking. I'd look at his contract next year.

Thing is goal kicking seems to be something all clubs are terrible at.
Buckley and Hardwick both had very lean years and were nearly sacked.
Yes we have problems but I think it’s a combination of sorts and we do need to change things but not Luke.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Thing is goal kicking seems to be something all clubs are terrible at.
Buckley and Hardwick both had very lean years and were nearly sacked.
Yes we have problems but I think it’s a combination of sorts and we do need to change things but not Luke.

He's already contracted for next year. Whose changing anything? In fact I'm arguing to leave things the same right now and address the contract extension next year.

chef
12-06-2019, 06:55 PM

Whats the rush?

We need to be careful.

GVGjr
12-06-2019, 07:11 PM

Good move. I get the argument about being cautious but I'd rather be proactive if we believe he is the right man

We do however, need to change things around in my opinion so that Beveridge has a narrower focus

Rocket Science
12-06-2019, 07:18 PM
This is real rock and hard place stuff.

Bevo needs to be fielding some hard questions internally before we rattle off another extension, and perhaps that's what's transpired.

But if we go the cautious route and remain non-committal beyond this season you can bet he'd be courted, and courted hard.

I hope he's got a convincing plan and we stitch him up.

If there's no discernible progress by this time next year and he's got a freshly inked extension in his kick I'm picturing a very fractious supporter base, and plenty of meeja mud.

azabob
12-06-2019, 07:48 PM

If you can’t post a link can you let us know the publication and author?

GVGjr
12-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon backs Luke Beveridge as Bulldogs coach beyond 2020 (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-backs-luke-beveridge-as-bulldogs-coach-beyond-2020/news-story/ed2f752a9a4859a3bc7c2c334a70fd5fttp://)

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has backed Luke Beveridge to be the long-term coach of the club.

Beveridge comes out of contract at the end of next year and despite the team’s inconsistent form over the past three seasons, there is no talk at Whitten Oval of pressure mounting.

While Gordon says there is no rush to start talks on a new deal, the 2016 premiership coach is the right man to lead the emerging group.

“I expect him to not move and be coach of the Western Bulldogs for a very long time,” an emphatic Gordon told the Herald Sun.

“He’s been a terrific coach for us, he’s got great relationships across the board, top to bottom, and I expect that he’ll be senior coach here for a lot longer than I’ll be president.

“We get on really well and I’m sure when, as both colleagues and friends, when it’s a suitable time for us to have that discussion we’ll do it.

There’s no tension in the relationship or any pressure on that from his point of view or mine and I think that’s important to navigate a club through challenging times.”

The Bulldogs are 15th on the ladder but remain in the finals hunt, sitting two games and percentage outside the top eight.

With wins over current top-eight sides Richmond and Brisbane, Gordon believes the Bulldogs can challenge the best teams while getting games into its youngsters.

“I don’t write this season off by any means for the Bulldogs,” Gordon said. “It’s interesting to see the ups and downs — Sydney were really interesting on the weekend and if we win this weekend we go one (win) ahead of them with half the season effectively to come.

“Everyone has got to aim for the finals as long as its possible. You’ve got to put your best food forward every week.

“The thing about AFL at the moment is it’s not enough just to tick boxes or KPIs, you’ve got to be better than the competition and it’s increasingly a cutthroat competition with great teams across the board, that’s what competitive balance is all about.

“We haven’t been that far away but for a few results, which could have easily gone the other way, we could have been in the top four.

“We’ve lost games narrowly to Gold Coast and to Carlton, we weren’t that far away from Geelong and Collingwood and we’re getting important games into people who are going to be really important parts of our next 10 years, including kids like Bailey Smith, Tim English and Aaron Naughton. We’ve got really good quality there.”

Western Bulldogs on Wednesday launched a special ‘Fightback’ guernsey, which will be worn in Round 17 to commemorate 30 years since the club’s ‘Fightback’ movement, raising over $1.6 million in 1989 to avoid a merger with Fitzroy.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Is this a different article? Ledge said PG was extending the contract shortly. PG in this article says there's no rush to start talks on a new deal...

ledge
12-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Is this a different article? Ledge said PG was extending the contract shortly. PG in this article says there's no rush to start talks on a new deal...

Article I read was on the footy live app, obviously Peter is looking at keeping him.

bulldogtragic
12-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Article I read was on the footy live app, obviously Peter is looking at keeping him.

So the media reporting one story in two completely different ways at the same time? That's about the standard of media right now.

But that PG is quoted by the Hun. I'll take that. It's also a very politician like position to take.

Rocket Science
12-06-2019, 09:05 PM
So the media reporting one story in two completely different ways at the same time? That's about the standard of media right now.

But that PG is quoted by the Hun. I'll take that. It's also a very politician like position to take.

Aye, that's my reading too.

*YELLS* ... "Relax everyone, Bevo's our man!"

*whispers to Bevo* ... "But we've got a little bit to talk about first"

Onya Gordo.

Twodogs
12-06-2019, 09:33 PM
June 12 2019 - 3:24PM
Dogs back long-term AFL deal for Beveridge

Michael Ramsey

Even without a finals appearance this season, the Bulldogs say Luke Beveridge will remain as coach.
Even without a finals appearance this season, the Bulldogs say Luke Beveridge will remain as coach.

Club president Peter Gordon is adamant Luke Beveridge remains the man to take the Western Bulldogs forward, even if they miss the AFL finals for a third straight season.

The Bulldogs sit 15th on the ladder after 12 rounds, having not tasted September action since Beveridge led them to the premiership in 2016.

Beveridge's contract expires at the end of next season but Gordon expects to arrange an extension for the 48-year-old before that point.

"I think that Bevo is a terrific coach, has done a terrific job and I expect him to be coach of the Bulldogs for a long, long time," Gordon told AAP.

"I have total confidence in him. I believe that he has total confidence in me and we'll work those things out like any friends and colleagues would."

The Bulldogs on Wednesday marked the 30-year anniversary of the 'Fightback' campaign which saved Footscray from a merger with Fitzroy.

Fans raised more than $1.6 million to help ensure the club's survival, while Fitzroy went on to merge with the Brisbane Bears in 1996.

The Bulldogs will wear commemorative guernseys featuring their old Footscray logo when they host Melbourne in round 17.

Convincing wins over Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn this season have shown what the Dogs are capable of at their best.

But the Dogs limped into their mid-season bye with three straight losses, capped by a 61-point drubbing from premiers West Coast.

"At our best we can beat anyone but unfortunately we've had inconsistencies throughout the year," captain Easton Wood said.

"Our challenge going into the second half of the year is being able to put together those consistent four-quarter performances."

The Bulldogs have consistently been among the youngest and least experienced sides this season, a problem exacerbated by the AFL's clampdown on runners.

"That's obviously a real challenge," Wood said.

"We can still get messages out at different times but as captain and as leaders on the ground, we have to be really mindful of where the young boys and where the entire group is at.

"Whether they feel like we've taken a step back or making sure we're really positive and still in that mind frame of being willing to win the game, not going into that safe brand of footy where things can just spiral out of control.

"That's our challenge. We've got to be vocal and make sure that when things aren't going well - because it happens almost every game - that the young boys look to you as a beacon of support and strength."

https://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/6214201/dogs-back-long-term-afl-deal-for-beveridge/?cs=7660

Twodogs
12-06-2019, 09:35 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

That article is from 5 hours ago

This one is from an hour ago but is firewalled, hopefully someone can post it?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fteam s%2Fwestern-bulldogs%2Fwestern-bulldogs-president-peter-gordon-backs-luke-beveridge-as-bulldogs-coach-beyond-2020%2Fnews-story%2Fed2f752a9a4859a3bc7c2c334a70fd5f&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=19-b

ledge
12-06-2019, 10:01 PM
The point is we are going to keep him, so hopefully shut the media up.
Unless it’s the old story of backing your coach before you sack him :-)

hujsh
12-06-2019, 11:12 PM
I've heard he has the full support of the board

bornadog
12-06-2019, 11:18 PM
“He’s been a terrific coach for us, he’s got great relationships across the board, top to bottom, and I expect that he’ll be senior coach here for a lot longer than I.

The important bit.

Rocket Science
12-06-2019, 11:19 PM
The point is we are going to keep him, so hopefully shut the media up.
Unless it’s the old story of backing your coach before you sack him :-)

Good luck shutting the media up if we get done by Carlton again. In fact PG's comments may well be timed to head that off.

Granted it's a truncated round but Whately's even been insisting we've got the "most at stake" this weekend.

Hard to argue.

bornadog
12-06-2019, 11:22 PM
Good luck shutting the media up if we get done by Carlton again. In fact PG's comments may well be timed to head that off.

Granted it's a truncated round but Whately's even been insisting we've got the "most at stake" this weekend.

Hard to argue.

Carlton are favourites this week.

GVGjr
12-06-2019, 11:23 PM
Carlton are favourites this week.

Not with the bookies? I'm sure I heard we were the favourites

bornadog
12-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Not with the bookies? I'm sure I heard we were the favourites

Actually I just checked and you are right. Must be with our supporters :D

GVGjr
12-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Actually I just checked and you are right. Must be with our supporters :D

I get the nervousness but I'm confident of a win

Grantysghost
13-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Lets hope we have better plans, or execute the ones we had previously for Cripps and Petrevski-Seton this time with more effectiveness. :)

bornadog
13-06-2019, 02:36 PM
Lets hope we have better plans, or execute the ones we had previously for Cripps and Petrevski-Seton this time with more effectiveness. :)

Good to see Wood saying they are going over the previous game to see what they need to do better.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Close one GVGjr...hahah;)

Hey I predicted we would win but not by much. We are too easy to score against to really put the foot on a team's throat.

ledge
23-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Richardson must be in trouble now , would we take him as an assistant?
iIRC he was with us a few years ago.

Axe Man
24-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Richardson must be in trouble now , would we take him as an assistant?
iIRC he was with us a few years ago.

Yep he was an assistant with us along with half the clubs in the league, he's been everywhere.