PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Carlton R13 2019

Pages : [1] 2

Eastdog
13-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Cmon Dogs need to show some fight on Saturday night back at Marvel. Got a GA ticket for this game.

Margin: Dogs by 19 points

First Goal: Sam Lloyd

Best On Ground: Caleb Daniel

Eastdog
14-06-2019, 08:07 PM
https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-14/four-things-to-watch-blues-v-dogs

Four Things To Watch: Blues v Dogs
Jun 14, 2019 2:04PM

1. Patrick Cripps
Carlton’s skipper was sensational in his side’s win against Brisbane on the weekend.
And last time the Blues and Dogs met, Cripps was dominant, with 37 disposals.
The gun midfielder is averaging almost 28 disposals and more than six disposals per game.
Restricting his influence around the contest will be critical for the Bulldogs.

2. Must win
It’s very much a ‘must-win’ game if the Bulldogs are to keep their season alive.
The Dogs are two games outside the top eight, in 15th, but a win against the Blues would kick-start their run home after the bye.
When the sides met in round five this year, Carlton were far too good.
It should only serve as added motivation for the Dogs to square the ledger at 1-1 in 2019.

3. Road to goal
Since the round five loss to Carlton, the Bulldogs have been able to impact the scoreboard more regularly.
In the first five games, the Dogs averaged 75.4 points per game. In the six games following, that’s increased to 85.1 points per game.
The Bulldogs continue to rely on a spread of goal-kickers for a winning score.
Sharp-shooter Tory Dickson returns for the injured Billy Gowers, with Aaron Naughton and Sam Lloyd leading the Dogs’ goal-kicking tally with 17 majors each.

4. Contested marking
Heading into the bye rounds, at the end of round 11, two young guns sat at the top of the contested marking table.
Carlton’s Harry McKay had 29 – now 30 after their match last week – to lead the competition, with Aaron Naughton sitting second with 26.
McKay had a big influence last time these sides met – clunking 11 marks and kicking four goals.
The Bulldogs will be out to limit his output this week, and hoping to bring Naughton into the game when they go forward.

Eastdog
14-06-2019, 08:10 PM
https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-11/match-preview-carlton-v-western-bulldogs

Match preview: Carlton v Western Bulldogs
Riley Beveridge
Jun 11, 2019 11:59AM

Where and when: Marvel Stadium, Saturday, June 15, 7.25pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Carlton: After a morale-boosting victory last week, the Blues will be hoping to show it was no flash in the pan. Another win here could be massive for caretaker David Teague's hopes of keeping the job full-time.

What it means for Western Bulldogs: The bye came at the perfect time for the Bulldogs, who had lost three straight games going into it. Refreshed and reenergised, they simply have to snap that streak against the Blues.

The stat: Due to a quirk in the fixture, this will be the third time the Western Bulldogs have met Carlton in its last 14 games.

The match-up: Patrick Cripps v Marcus Bontempelli

Two of the best young midfielders in the competition, this pair loves playing against each other and are frequently matched at stoppages. Cripps got the better of the dual in round five, winning 37 disposals and 11 clearances.

It's a big week for: Harry McKay

The imposing Carlton forward was best on ground when these two sides last met. Simply unstoppable in the air, he finished with four goals, 20 disposals, 11 marks and five contested marks. Another performance like that could lift the Blues to victory.

Big call: Bont to get the better of Cripps

Prediction: Western Bulldogs by 11 points

Rocket Science
14-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Ha ha. Flip a coin. It's a more reliable indicator of our intensity levels against crap opposition than informed hunches.

Dogs by a kick
First major : Suckers
BOG : Cripps

Batten down the hatches if we drop this one.

dukedog
14-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Their tails are up.... We are meandering in a swamp of non believing rabble... We need a change
How far that extends I'm not sure. Carlton by 35

bornadog
14-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Dogs by 19
First goal: Dickson
BOG: Libba

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2019, 12:51 AM
Carlton by 22
BOG Bont
First Goal - Dickson

DOG GOD
15-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Carlton by 42
1st goal - Dickson
BOG - Cripps (all Cripps)

Ghost Dog
15-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Carlton by 42
1st goal - Dickson
BOG - Cripps (all Cripps)

Who will stand up ?
1st Goal JJ
BOG Bont
Dogs by a kick

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Dogs by 17
Macrae with a BOG
Bontempelli with the first.

I'm really looking forward to this game

westbulldog
15-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Carlton by 24
BOG Charlie Curnow
First goal Lloyd

Twodogs
15-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Dogs by 62
First goal LLoyd
BOG-The Bont.

ratsmac
15-06-2019, 11:58 AM
I have a bad feeling about this game. Us off a bye, them off a win, they are confident after touching us up last time, us barely getting out of the blocks all season. It doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Blues by 19
First goal - Naughton
BOG - Hunter for us, Cripps overall.

chef
15-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Dogs by 69
First goal Dicko
BOG Libba

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 12:04 PM
I don't quite get the negativity to tonight's game. I can understand some level of nervousness but despite losing to them last time it's still on our home ground and we should be able to learn from the previous mistakes. Crozier and Dickson are also good inclusions for us

I'm expecting a far better performance

Twodogs
15-06-2019, 12:48 PM
I have a bad feeling about this game. Us off a bye, them off a win, they are confident after touching us up last time, us barely getting out of the blocks all season. It doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Blues by 19
First goal - Naughton
BOG - Hunter for us, Cripps overall.

I think them beating us last time is the reason we should win this one. That and the fact we are a much better team than them. If we played Carlton ten times they might beat us once and that was last time. We win the next 9 against them.

kruder
15-06-2019, 01:02 PM
I don't quite get the negativity to tonight's game. I can understand some level of nervousness but despite losing to them last time it's still on our home ground and we should be able to learn from the previous mistakes. Crozier and Dickson are also good inclusions for us

Um we have lost to Carlton, Gold Coast and Norf all when favourites. I expected a far better performance previously.

Hotdog60
15-06-2019, 01:44 PM
First goal: Lloyd

BOG: Libba, keep Crips to 15 touches and gets moved out of the centre.

Dogs by 43 with Naughty slotting 5

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 01:48 PM
First goal: Lloyd

BOG: Libba, keep Crips to 15 touches and gets moved out of the centre.

Dogs by 43 with Naughty slotting 5

I think there is a fair chance Naughty will get a bag of goals tonight. Lets hope Dickson and Lloyd do as well

Bulldog4life
15-06-2019, 01:53 PM
Dogs by 28 in a canter
First goal: Dickson
BOG: Bont

1eyedog
15-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Reckon we'll put up more fight tonight.

Blues by 16
Macrae to bounce back
Lloyd first major

1eyedog
15-06-2019, 02:04 PM

I get the negativity we have been worse than deplorable against teams we should beat. Based on our history against bottom 4 teams this year if we get to within 16 points as above it's a positive.

DOG GOD
15-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Cripps etc will give their tall fwds plenty of opportunity to kick a winning score.

AndrewP6
15-06-2019, 03:45 PM
The negativity stems from the completely unpredictable nature of the side's performances and the way they have been belted when they've lost this year. I have very little confidence in us, I want some of that confidence back.

Blues by 14
First goal Hunter
BOG for us CD.

Danjul
15-06-2019, 03:59 PM
The negativity stems from the completely unpredictable nature of the side's performances and the way they have been belted when they've lost this year. I have very little confidence in us, I want some of that confidence back.

Blues by 14
First goal Hunter
BOG for us CD.

The side’s performance was perfectly predictable the last time they played Carlton. People were complaining as soon as the team was published.

AndrewP6
15-06-2019, 04:32 PM
The side’s performance was perfectly predictable the last time they played Carlton. People were complaining as soon as the team was published.

I was talking about the fact we can play terrific footy then terrible footy, not just the last Carlton game.

Danjul
15-06-2019, 04:59 PM
I was talking about the fact we can play terrific footy then terrible footy, not just the last Carlton game.

we lost the Collingwood game because of ruck and CHB.

we lost to North because of ruck.

Not criticising any player but those problems were foreseeable and should not have happened.

Team selection and structure has caused the present predicament.

bornadog
15-06-2019, 05:11 PM

Not criticising any player but those problems were foreseeable and should not have happened.

Lack of talent in the right positions has caused the present predicament.

Danjul
15-06-2019, 05:58 PM
Lack of talent in the right positions has caused the present predicament.

And who is responsible for that situation?

bornadog
15-06-2019, 06:05 PM
And who is responsible for that situation?

Recruitment

We are also unlucky to lose Clay Smith, Picken and Tom Boyd to serious injuries (mental and Physical)

Ghost Dog
15-06-2019, 06:11 PM
No worries boys and girls. Wayne Carey tips Carlton to win. You can relax now.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 06:11 PM

I see the logic in what you are highlighting

bornadog
15-06-2019, 06:13 PM
I see the logic in what you are highlighting

Maybe logic, but no solution.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Maybe logic, but no solution.

His solution is that a quality ruckman is the priority

azabob
15-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Recruitment

Recruitment is not the reason.

Team selection, list management decisions, players playing out of position and lack of new ideas is the reason why.

bornadog
15-06-2019, 06:20 PM

I don't agree with the last sentence. The way it is written, we could have won the Collingwood and North game if we selected the right players. Which players?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 06:25 PM

Not to be a smart arse, but why? Bevo doesn't rate them, and might not even play them. His phobia impacts his coaching, team selection, match day, win/loss ratio and list management. Until this gets settled I'm not sure we can or should do anything on the ruck front. Either Bevo has to go, or Bevo has to bite the bullet and admit he isn't a anti-ruck revolutionary he'd like to be seen as because it's not working and nobody is carbon copying the strategy. I personally agree we need to do something, but Bevo is not winning the battle in the coaches ranks, but he's winning over the list management team too seeing the back of Roughead & Campbell, for Jordan Sweet.

Anyway, I'm not a God fearing praying type, but I am tonight. Please just give us the strength to beat a team we should.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Not to be a smart arse, but why? Bevo doesn't rate them, and might not even play them. His phobia impacts his coaching, team selection, match day, win/loss ratio and list management. Until this gets settled I'm not sure we can or should do anything on the ruck front. Either Bevo has to go, or Bevo has to bite the bullet and admit he isn't a anti-ruck revolutionary he'd like to be seen as because it's not working and nobody is carbon copying the strategy. I personally agree we need to do something, but Bevo is not winning the battle in the coaches ranks, but he's winning over the list management team too seeing the back of Roughead & Campbell, for Jordan Sweet.

Anyway, I'm not a God fearing praying type, but I am tonight. Please just give us the strength to beat a team we should.

I guess its for Danjul to answer and Bevo to explain why he thinks we have an advantage going in with essentially an extra midfielder
For what it's worth I think Bevo will come around with a more traditional ruck set-up

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 06:45 PM
I don't agree with the last sentence. The way it is written, we could have won the Collingwood and North game if we selected the right players. Which players?

Again one for Danjul to answer and explain but against the Pies I suspect he would have wanted Trengove in and for the North game another key defender might have helped Trengove assist English who was on the business end of a pants down spanking

In the two games that Danjul refers to English got less that 8 hit outs for the game. Cordy who relieved him after half time against North got 8 hit outs and was one of the players that got us back into the game. So did English as a forward.

I think it's a fair assumption that a better ruck performances might have turned in better results and maybe even a win or two

The way I'm reading it he's not bagging English but highlighting he still has a way to go.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Recruitment

We are also unlucky to lose Clay Smith, Picken and Tom Boyd to serious injuries (mental and Physical)

Big question marks on Boyd and Picken prior to the trading period and we chose not to bring in any insurance
The whole club need to have a look at this and ask did they read the play that well

bornadog
15-06-2019, 06:53 PM
Not to be a smart arse, but why? Bevo doesn't rate them

Can't agree one bit with your post. Not sure why posters on this forum think Bevo is anti ruck.

He wants a ruckman like Grundy who can not only ruck but contribute more around the ground. That is why he has faith in English and why he liked Boyd playing ruck. It really is unfortunate Boyd can't play as together with English they could have been a great duo.

Danjul
15-06-2019, 06:59 PM

Collingwood game, Grundy won the hitouts 60:6 or something like that. Many put in the hands of a player running into the open. That’s what good ruckmen do, and why they’re important. Where was plan B? There wasn’t one and Grundy kept them in the game.

A couple of weeks ago we had a repeat with Goldstein.

In both cases the scenario was not selected for. We could not stop the onslaught from the stoppages because nobody had thought it could happen.

20 hitouts to advantage is the equivalent of having an extra player, and wins many matches.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Can't agree one bit with your post. Not sure why posters on this forum think Bevo is anti ruck.

He wants a ruckman like Grundy who can not only ruck but contribute more around the ground. That is why he has faith in English and why he liked Boyd playing ruck. It really is unfortunate Boyd can't play as together with English they could have been a great duo.

I think it stems from having Dunkley, Bontempelli and Jong as ruck man from time to time and of course Boyd was recruited on big bucks as a key forward forward and spent a lot of time as the first ruck man

Ideally he wants a mobile ruckman like Stefan Martin or a very versatile one I suspect

Danjul
15-06-2019, 07:08 PM

l understand what you are saying but, when Campbell was dropped after a couple of games with high 40s hitouts and about 10 disposals it was crystal clear that Bevo doesn’t see the ruck as significant. And it’s been the team’s Achilles heel ever since.

my opinion only but Boyd was never going to be the ruckman we need. And playing there gave him bad hands as a forward. Can see the same happening with Schache.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 07:09 PM

I don't mind the disagreement. But could you name all the rucks that Bevo would want from all 17 clubs? Then if they're tradable at a fair price, and what the trade would be in picks and dollars.

I'm going to guess there's not many on the list. All would be considered not tradable at their current clubs. Getting them out would be one high first rounder and something else valuable. Wages would be huge too. All in all, next to no chance of ever happening. So in effect he wants a unicorn, something that doesn't exist in reality. If that's the plan (to wish for a unicorn), god help us.

The Adelaide Connection
15-06-2019, 08:18 PM
I am hopeful we get back on track tonight.

Dogs by 34
First Goal- Gardner
BOG Bont

Bumper Bulldogs
15-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Dogs by 27
Bog Libba
1st Goal English

G-Mo77
15-06-2019, 08:31 PM
Nice grab Timmy!

Ghost Dog
15-06-2019, 08:32 PM
Good start lads. English, our new KPF. Bont off the leash.

Rocket Science
15-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Silly Zaine. Use the body.

AndrewP6
15-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Cordy infuriates me. Good to see Bont starting really well.

Rocket Science
15-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Boys look on, crisp hands.

Ghost Dog
15-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Nobody for blues over 6 possessions. 100 poss to 44. Go dogs!!
Bont up to 11.

Rocket Science
15-06-2019, 08:50 PM
Some kinda quarter from the Bont, Dunks deputising nicely.

Wonder if Carlton will push back.

Ghost Dog
15-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Caleb gifts them a goal. Hope that is his clanger out of the way for today.

chef
15-06-2019, 08:57 PM
Nice quarter, should be much further in front though.

Mantis
15-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Bright start.. amazing what happens when you put players in spots where they can have the most influence... but intent has been much better.

AndrewP6
15-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Happy Lippa is going really well.

westdog54
15-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Safe to say MJP is getting the response he wanted from the midfield.

Ghost Dog
15-06-2019, 09:23 PM
Enjoy this moment. The boys responded. To be honest I had my doubts as well... very pleased. Younger blokes getting involved.
Clean. But Lead is not enough,

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 09:28 PM
We are playing well but we need to close out this quarter and keep them quiet. Another goal or two for us would be nice
Carlton are capable of making a real game of this

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Ryan Gardner or Patrick Wiggins? Make your choice

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Just caught up, late finish to a kids birthday party, didn't get home til 7:50 tonight.
Promising start, but gee we've let them stay in with a sniff. Should've put this to bed by now.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 09:37 PM
Dunks and Bont have been huge.
Any word on what's wrong with Libba?

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 09:37 PM
That old guy in green looking dangerous up forward for the Blues.

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 09:39 PM
Lost control in the last 15. Need to get our composure back.

bornadog
15-06-2019, 09:46 PM
That old guy in green looking dangerous up forward for the Blues.
The flog

G-Mo77
15-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Lost control in the last 15. Need to get our composure back.

Since the Libba injury it seemed to go a bit south. It could be a coincidence.

ratsmac
15-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Any word on Libba?

ledge
15-06-2019, 09:50 PM
We put Bont up forward and lost libba who was making space for him.

comrade
15-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Cripps with 8 at half time. Are we actually putting some work into him?

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 09:51 PM
Since the Libba injury it seemed to go a bit south. It could be a coincidence.

It sure isn’t gonna help. We’ll miss him for sure

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 09:53 PM
As discussed in another thread, I won’t boo or abuse umpires. But please ... that last Curnow goal makes four dubious free kicks leading to goals. The only reason Carlton have a sniff at half time is the poor decisions.

Danjul
15-06-2019, 09:55 PM
Gardiner in the ruck against Kruzer? Pure genius.

How many goals can Cordy give away before anyone notices?

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2019, 09:57 PM
Libba knee jarring, not related to his tendon.

Doc26
15-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Libba knee jarring, not related to his tendon.

Yes, just heard this as well from the mouth of Chris Maple in the rooms.

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 10:01 PM
Gardiner in the ruck against Kruzer? Pure genius.

How many goals can Cordy give away before anyone notices?

English can’t take every ruck contest

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:03 PM
We're in a bit of trouble

chef
15-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Here they come. We've gone to sleep

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Really poor and wasteful start.

The Underdog
We're in a bit of trouble

Yeah, it’s turned completely

ledge
15-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Miss easy goals and stop dead, can’t see us winning this win with what Carlton did last week, they were I’ll be full of confidence

G-Mo77
15-06-2019, 10:06 PM
Not looking good.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:06 PM
I want to see my club show some bloody fight and grit, and accountability.

DOG GOD
15-06-2019, 10:07 PM
We have stopped running hard both ways.

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 10:07 PM
We're gonna win the spoon.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Forget good teams, average teams don't let Carlton do this.

DOG GOD
15-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Get the blowtorch ready

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:10 PM
We're gonna win the spoon.

It's kind of nicely round out the Bevo era though.

Mantis
15-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Our forwardline is full of passengers.. Dale, Gardner, Dickson & Naughton need to give us something.

Bullies
15-06-2019, 10:11 PM
they deserve the blow torch. This is ordinary. At least look like you are trying.

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 10:12 PM
Our forwardline is full of passengers.. Dale, Gardner, Dickson & Naughton need to give us something.

Dale and Gardner aren't AFL standard. I think Dicko is cooked too.

ledge
We are shite.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
We are such a schizophrenic side.

Mantis
15-06-2019, 10:13 PM
For how long can we pick Zaine of Lewis Young? Surely the credits he has have been used.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Maybe a thread idea, 'If I was Peter Gordon this is who I'd sack tonight'.

LostDoggy
15-06-2019, 10:14 PM
We put on gum boots at half time, Libba has been a massive loss

Happy Days
This is a farce.

Rocket Science
Hands up if you can feel the 'magic and mystique' yet ...

The Underdog
Schache can definitely provide the same lack of contest that Gardner does.

Twodogs

I've never seen anyone bounce off players instead of laying a tackle the way Dale does.

LostDoggy
We will win

DOG GOD
15-06-2019, 10:15 PM
We have too many VFL players in our AFL team.

I should be angry, but I’m not, coz I’m literally over 2019

Happy Days

Reckon he'd at least hang on to a chest mark too.

DOG GOD

Can not fathom what Gardner offers that Schache doesn’t.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:16 PM

Yeah, but....

If our talent people think he's better than Roughy or Campbell, they're Cheech & Chong like high.

kruder
15-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Cordy has lost all confidence junping at shadows atm. Why does he continue to stand 5m from his man?

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:17 PM
I don’t think I have ever said this before about the Bulldogs, but I give up. I can’t be Mr. Positivity anymore. Change has to happen or my run of 25 plus years of membership comes to a halt.

I am over the excuses; I am over the half-arsed effort; I am over the match committee picking piss-poor match/ups.

ledge
15-06-2019, 10:17 PM
I’m totally embarrassed now

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:18 PM

True, but Gardner's shortcomings aren't what is causing our problems now.
We've not had an inside 50 for 13 minutes, and Curnow has 5 goals

Bullies
they could lose by 10 goals. Luckily the cricket is on.

G-Mo77
All you can do is laugh. We're a *!*!*!*!ing joke!

Mantis
15-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Any thought to put Naughton on Curnow?

He’s getting frostbite in attack.

chef
15-06-2019, 10:19 PM
We will win

The spoon?

Rocket Science
15-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Mmmm VERSATILITY

ledge
*!*!*!*! me we are now giving them the ball !!

bulldogtragic
I don’t think I have ever said this before about the Bulldogs, but I give up. I can’t be Mr. Positivity anymore. Change has to happen or my run of 25 plus years of membership comes to a halt.

I am over the excuses; I am over the half-arsed effort; I am over the match committee picking piss-poor match/ups.

I'm on record, if nothing changes my many, many membership adds on are gone. I'll stay a SC member, but until the club can be more professional then this is the only way I can register a protest.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:22 PM
1 inside 50 in 20 odd minutes.

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:22 PM
This is disgraceful ... there needs to be change

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Tough, tough quarter but I haven't given up on us. A couple of goals on the trot and we are right back in this

Yep there is one of them

Mantis
15-06-2019, 10:24 PM
Kicks that, but couldn’t kick a crucial one from 40m straight in front.

ledge
15-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Tall sides beat us everytime , just kick it up and we are useless

chef
15-06-2019, 10:27 PM
Suckling carrying us atm.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:28 PM
We win this Matty Suckling deserves some big kudo's

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Suckling carrying us atm.

Against the 18th team.

Never thought I'd read that.

Bullies
15-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Suckling and Dunkley

AutoFill
15-06-2019, 10:30 PM
Another fine example of rubbish selection disguised as being innovative. Back to basics Dogs, especially in the coaches box. I’ve been saying it since 2017.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:31 PM
I noticed earlier in the game, Libba doing a lot of selfless work protecting Bont from Carlton attention. I wonder if his absence has been crucial in Bont going quiet.
Need someone to stand up and do a Libba at the contest and get Bont into the game in the last.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:33 PM
Another fine example of rubbish selection disguised as being innovative. Back to basics Dogs, especially in the coaches box. I’ve been saying it since 2017.

Bollocks. Gardner has been almost invisible, true, but he's not the reason it took us 20 odd minutes to get an inside 50 that qtr. Granted his time in the ruck was very ordinary, but again not the main factor as to why we sucked for most of that quarter.

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 10:33 PM
We just need to find some multiple goal kickers now. Nice to get that lead back

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:34 PM
We just need to find some multiple goal kickers now. Nice to get that lead back

I almost think it's imperative we need the 1st goal to quell Carlton's enthusiasm and belief.

angelopetraglia
15-06-2019, 10:35 PM
It’s just gone to pieces since Libba went off ...

GVGjr
I almost think it's imperative we need the 1st goal to quell Carlton's enthusiasm and belief.

Agreed, it's a good game as well. The crowd is right into it

Rocket Science
What a persistently mediocre football club we are.

Spin it however you like but we're not building towards anything at the moment.

We're just fulfilling oue destiny as one of the competition's tried and true piss-ants.

Sure, give Bevo another couple of years, re-sign the assistants too, as if it makes any difference.

G-Mo77
15-06-2019, 10:39 PM
Nice finish Bailey.

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 10:42 PM
Bailey Dale stuck a tackle. Think it has to be our night now.

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Good work Suckers ... great gut running

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 10:47 PM
He gets a bit of stick but Lachie Hunter has been massive in getting this back on our terms

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:47 PM
English !!!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Big Tim

1eyedog
15-06-2019, 10:51 PM
Gardner is a witches hat why is he out there?

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:52 PM
Thank you linesmen; thank you ballboys.

angelopetraglia
I didn’t see this coming .... Wowee

Mantis
Thank christ for the bye!

chef
Nice response this quarter

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:53 PM
But I stand by my original post ... change has to happen. We are a better team than the skill-set we are showing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Very good response, this qtr

GVGjr
15-06-2019, 10:54 PM
Very proud of the way we finished off the 3rd quarter and then went on with it in the last.
I'd love us to get a couple of goals now to finish this game off the right way.

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:54 PM
Thank christ for the bye!

Good call Mantis

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Very proud of the way we finished off the 3rd quarter and then went on with it in the last.
I'd love us to get a couple of goals now to finish this game off the right way.

Agreed GVG

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:57 PM
22 points and 6 minutes....

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 11:00 PM

15 points and 4 minutes...

lemmon
15-06-2019, 11:02 PM
Bailey Williams done anything right tonight?

bulldogtragic

9 points in 3.22 minutes

G-Mo77
Oh for *!*!*!*!s sake.

ledge
15-06-2019, 11:03 PM
We are going to lose this

Happy Days
Wow.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
I'm not happy now

Mantis
Any chance of Naughton going back?

*!*!*!*! me Bevo.

G-Mo77
Only this shithouse club could lose like this.

bulldogtragic

9 points in 3.22 minutes

3 points in 2.5 minutes

chef
Haha we suck.

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 11:04 PM

*!*!*!*! me Bevo.

He is back now. Think we need that Jesus Christ guy from Richmond to stop Curnow though.

bulldogtragic
I'm not happy now

We've been waiting patiently for you to join us. About time! :D

Happy Days
Suckers WTF was that?

Scraggers
15-06-2019, 11:07 PM
I’ve had to walk out of the lounge room ... we are trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Scraggers
*!*!*!*! me !!

We did not deserve that

lemmon
This club genuinely hates its fans.

DOG GOD
Well if I was the club, I certainly wouldn’t be celebrating anything after that insipid effort

Mantis
15-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Yah, Bulldogs.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Winning doesn't change that abortion. Just enough wallpaper to keep the cracks covered from scrutiny.

angelopetraglia
OMG. OMG. OMG.

What’s with the wild swings.

Resting heart rate went from 50 to 134 in that last two minutes.

chef
Yay we won, but geez we are a bottom 3 team.

The Underdog
I turned it off after Carlton’s last goal, my wife made me turn it on for the last 20 seconds. Giving up 5 goals in 3 minutes is *!*!*!*!ing bullshit

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 11:10 PM
Great game. Pretty insipid effort to let them back in like that but full credit for getting far enough in front when we were actually playing.

DOG GOD
15-06-2019, 11:11 PM
We are not even Geelongs jock straps....we are so far off the mark it’s not funny.

AndrewP6
15-06-2019, 11:12 PM
15 vs 1, that’s pretty obvious.

G-Mo77
15-06-2019, 11:16 PM
Winning doesn't change that abortion. Just enough wallpaper to keep the cracks covered from scrutiny.

I was watching the Bendigo Braves in the background, I enjoyed watching that more. I doubt I'll make another trip down to Marvel this season. This win does nothing for me, some glimpses of what could be but when the heat was on some weak and pathetic efforts. We're no good and need to take steps back further to improve.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2019, 11:20 PM

I am pissed off by your post. That is self abuse, I know it well for the cancer that it is. I suggest you don't bring your issues to the club. We have a door that you can walk out and not come back.

ledge
15-06-2019, 11:20 PM
Apart from Dunkley , English and Lipinski moved up a notch, Caleb Daniel did more great things but his bloopers really hurt us.
Cripps probably had his worst game this year so kudos to us for that.
A Definite thing is if your playing us play a marking forward and he will kick a bag.
We don’t know how to stop a run on and Slow the game down when it happens.

bornadog
15-06-2019, 11:22 PM
So Complacent when we got ahead. Should have gone on with it

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 11:23 PM
I was watching the Bendigo Braves in the background, I enjoyed watching that more. I doubt I'll make another trip down to Marvel this season. This win does nothing for me, some glimpses of what could be but when the heat was on some weak and pathetic efforts. We're no good and need to take steps back further to improve.

I was only thinking the other day how you and chef just keep on backing up trips from central vic and I don't know how you guys keep backing up with this garbage. I gave my social club guest passes away and won't go again this year. I can't justify all my membership adds on if the club can't get its shit together either. Not attend, not buy more raffle tix and not donate the add ons is the only way I can protest. They've got my membership, but if the coaches and players don't have to turn up and get to pick and choose, so can I.

jeemak
15-06-2019, 11:27 PM
I thought we won......

Carlton is a tough match up for us and we were a rotation short in the middle which is where we generate our output. We did well to put two buffers between us and a hungry opponent that played really well at times.

Bullies
15-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Caleb Daniel stop those cute little kicks after you run around in circles. That turnover in the last was the turning point and it happens too many times with those kicks.

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 11:32 PM
I thought we won......

Carlton is a tough match up for us and we were a rotation short in the middle which is where we generate our output. We did well to put two buffers between us and a hungry opponent that played really well at times.

Maybe when you nearly give up a 6 goal lead in 5 minutes to the worst team in football for the last 2 years, the shine gets taken off somewhat.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2019, 11:35 PM

*!*!*!*! me Bevo.

His refusal to make this change at different stages in this game was deplorable.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-06-2019, 11:42 PM
We are not even Geelongs jock straps....we are so far off the mark it’s not funny.
That's footy and I just saw a great game that we won but if the gang want to self destruct, maybe, just maybe I don't see something.

Twodogs
15-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Yeah, but....

If our talent people think he's better than Roughy or Campbell, they're Cheech & Chong like high.

We need to ship them off to military school with that god damned Finkelstein shit of a kid!

jeemak
15-06-2019, 11:48 PM
Maybe when you nearly give up a 6 goal lead in 5 minutes to the worst team in football for the last 2 years, the shine gets taken off somewhat.

Yeah but we’re not very good if you hadn’t noticed. We’re rebuilding, take a look at our spine/talls.

Carlton is a tough match up for us and beat Brisbane last week and flogged us last time we e played them. We set up arrogantly and too offensively and it hurt us, but that’s footy sometimes.

bornadog
15-06-2019, 11:48 PM

Carlton supporters around me all left when they needed 5 to win

The Underdog
15-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Yeah but we’re not very good if you hadn’t noticed. We’re rebuilding, take a look at our spine/talls.

Carlton is a tough match up for us and beat Brisbane last week and flogged us last time we e played them. We set up arrogantly and too offensively and it hurt us, but that’s footy sometimes.

Everyone is a tough match up for us because we are quite bad. Believe me, I’ve noticed that we’re not very good.

Flamethrower
15-06-2019, 11:53 PM
Charlie Curnow joins the likes of Majak Daw, Drew Petrie, John Butcher, Josh Jenkins, and Jake Carlisle as second rate forwards who have torched us.

Happy Days
15-06-2019, 11:57 PM
Charlie Curnow joins the likes of Majak Daw, Drew Petrie, John Butcher, Josh Jenkins, and Jake Carlisle as second rate forwards who have torched us.

He's had a rough year but I'd hardly call him second rate.

merantau
16-06-2019, 12:02 AM
It is so hard barracking for the Dogs. I am in Sumbawa at the moment. Got off the motorbike in time to listen to the second half. After the first five minutes it was like there was only one team playing. I couldn't believe it. We were being trounced after leading by 34! Then we steady, get back in front and then smash them in the last until we get smashed with seven minutes left on the clock only to hang on by a thread!
How do you explain that? Can we really be that bad? We were with the flag favourite on their home ground for three and a half quarters but then they crushed us. The reality is that performance flattered to deceive. I think we are a long way off and will struggle to win more than another 2 or 3 games.
Listening to the second half it seems the following were AWOL: Cordy, Dale, Dickson, Gardner, Williams, Wood and Lloyd. There are no excuses. We played a team that has been a basket case for a few years now. They were 2 - 9. We coughed up 34 point lead and nearly coughed it up again! We are way off the pace.
You are supposed to be happy after a win. I am struggling to find anything to be happy about and it's a strange feeling.

jeemak
16-06-2019, 12:03 AM
Everyone is a tough match up for us because we are quite bad. Believe me, I’ve noticed that we’re not very good.

Most teams are tough matches for ALL teams these days. The difference between reasonable and poor has never been closer and the way teams match up has never meant more!

I get going completely apeshit over a lack of effort, but that wasn’t our issue for most of the game tonight. Our loss of Libba really hurt us and clearly our coaching team wanted us to fight it out with a particular gear all night without responding too heavily to what was happening against us.

We won the game, put the whips and chains away and enjoy it.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 12:09 AM
Most teams are tough matches for ALL teams these days. The difference between reasonable and poor has never been closer and the way teams match up has never meant more!

I get going completely apeshit over a lack of effort, but that wasn’t our issue for most of the game tonight. Our loss of Libba really hurt us and clearly our coaching team wanted us to fight it out with a particular gear all night without responding too heavily to what was happening against us.

The other thing teams are good at is defending all over the ground. At times it was difficult for us to get through their defence, especially in the third qurter when they really pressed forward and locked the ball in.

Danjul
16-06-2019, 12:14 AM
I might be wrong but I think it is the second week in a row that the opposition CHF has kicked a personal best. Maybe the selection committee should think about that.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-06-2019, 12:18 AM

That's your best flame yet, like Caroline's arrow.

Jeanette54
16-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Libba and the Bont two teaming at the stoppages were enormous for us in the first quarter. This came to a sudden halt when Libba went off. Tom is so important to our contested game.

On the plus side, we showed an ability to pinpoint leading forwards on a number off occasions.

We also demonstrated our resilience coming back after Carlton hit the lead, a truly positive step.

The Underdog
16-06-2019, 12:34 AM
I might be wrong but I think it is the second week in a row that the opposition CHF has kicked a personal best. Maybe the selection committee should think about that.

We should promote that All Australian CHB from the VFL.

The bulldog tragician
16-06-2019, 12:48 AM
That was a win that somehow felt like a loss.

Eastdog
16-06-2019, 12:54 AM
Thank goodness. I am just relieved.

Go Dogs! But that last 10 minutes was very bad.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 12:55 AM
That was a win that somehow felt like a loss.

I know what you mean, but I will take it.

SonofScray
16-06-2019, 12:57 AM
Coughed up a decent lead twice. That was a real concern.

A little patch just towards the end of the 3rd saved the game for us. They missed a few and we settled with a couple to undo what could've been a disastrous quarter. That was pleasing, to some degree. I thought we'd turn our toes up.

Last quarter we looked comfortable and put the cue in the rack, far too early it seems. We aren't good enough to do that, though being a man down meant they would always have a chance to come at us late.

Curnow is a gun, but you wish Naughty was adjudicated to the same standard as he and Ben Brown. Gifted half his bag. Our bloke gets scragged, nothing, makes terrific defensive efforts, no reward.

Carlton are a disgrace. Glad to see their pissant hearts break.

Grantysghost
16-06-2019, 01:02 AM
Just home from the game, has there ever been a bigger bunch of whingers re umpiring than that blues mob!?

bornadog
16-06-2019, 01:08 AM
Just home from the game, has there ever been a bigger bunch of whingers re umpiring than that blues mob!?

Yes Essendon

The bulldog tragician
16-06-2019, 01:15 AM
Yes Essendon
Charlie Curnow had five frees and a 50m penalty. I’m not sure how many of his frees resulted in goals but I’d be pretty pleased if Aaron Naughton or Bont got the same largesse.

Eastdog
16-06-2019, 01:16 AM
Charlie Curnow had five frees and a 50m penalty. I’m not sure how many of his frees resulted in goals but I’d be pretty pleased if Aaron Naughton or Bont got the same largesse.

Curnow certainly got a good deal from the umpires tonight.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 01:33 AM
well, i did say dogs by a goal iirc. The right ending. If we had won by a big margin, May have papered over the cracks.

Eastdog
16-06-2019, 01:37 AM
Was great to be back at the footy tonight cheering on the Dogs after 2 weeks at home with the bye last week and us in Perth the week before that. Home game next week so back in my reserved seat amongst the regulars.

jeemak
16-06-2019, 01:48 AM
The other thing teams are good at is defending all over the ground. At times it was difficult for us to get through their defence, especially in the third qurter when they really pressed forward and locked the ball in.

It became harder as we defended more poorly than we had been early in the game. Teams only defend well if you don't by and large do the same (unless it's a turnover fest). If both teams are defending well then it turns into a game between the arcs but with each team scoring in waves it suggested that wasn't the way the game played out tonight.

If Naughton kicked a couple of goals when he had the chance it would have broken the Blues but it didn't pan out that way. We let them in twice but didn't lose, I don't see why so many forum contributors are so surprised and savage about that, particularly given a lot of the same forum contributors spend the entire week between games lamenting how shit we are and how shit we will be.

We're rebuilding around a relatively experienced midfield and flank set up, and a young spine. It actually means we are going to be shit sometimes and good sometimes, in the middle sometimes and indifferent the others. We showed every side of the spectrum tonight, and still won against a side that beat Brisbane last week and is clearly enjoying a surge in form after losing a coach.

Sure we have a lot of work to do, but as long as the effort is there I'm not going to get bent out of shape over almost losing a game we were good enough to dominate for a substantial period twice, when one of those periods was when we were a rotation down.

KT31
16-06-2019, 01:53 AM

Wow, 7000 plus posts and you post this rubbish.

whythelongface
16-06-2019, 02:57 AM

Why do you even bother supporting the team? Really pathetic remark considering the joy the club is only one of seven clubs that have achieved the holy grail this decade. Yes we are going through a tough period but geez is there a need for this type of comment. Maybe you should stop following the team.

whythelongface
16-06-2019, 03:01 AM
Going by all the comments it seems like we lost. Yes we played like crap at times but at the end of the day we won. We have turned around a 40 point loss a month ago into a win. Surely we can at least saviour a victory. This at least gives us something to build on and take a positive into the next game.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 04:53 AM

I mean, if anyone predicted we would get smashed by 40 points they should look on the bright side. We got the win, but cannot be complacent with this result

merantau
16-06-2019, 06:18 AM
It became harder as we defended more poorly than we had been early in the game. Teams only defend well if you don't by and large do the same (unless it's a turnover fest). If both teams are defending well then it turns into a game between the arcs but with each team scoring in waves it suggested that wasn't the way the game played out tonight.

If Naughton kicked a couple of goals when he had the chance it would have broken the Blues but it didn't pan out that way. We let them in twice but didn't lose, I don't see why so many forum contributors are so surprised and savage about that, particularly given a lot of the same forum contributors spend the entire week between games lamenting how shit we are and how shit we will be.

We're rebuilding around a relatively experienced midfield and flank set up, and a young spine. It actually means we are going to be shit sometimes and good sometimes, in the middle sometimes and indifferent the others. We showed every side of the spectrum tonight, and still won against a side that beat Brisbane last week and is clearly enjoying a surge in form after losing a coach.

Sure we have a lot of work to do, but as long as the effort is there I'm not going to get bent out of shape over almost losing a game we were good enough to dominate for a substantial period twice, when one of those periods was when we were a rotation down.

Thanks for this calm assessment. Now that the dust has settled, after the seven minute train wreck at the death, it makes a lot of sense. If we look at the quality and experience we are missing at the Club in the last few years it goes like this: Mathew Boyd, Tom Boyd, Dahlhaus, Hamling, Picken, Roughest, Stringer, Smith, Murphy, Crameri and, most of all, Dale Morris. Have I missed anyone?
We lost Libba early so that had an effect that showed up at the end. At one stage, when well on top in the last, we kicked 3 points in a row. If just one of them had been a goal ...
We need to recruit well, particularly some key defenders and we have to get Schache up and running. We have been unfortunate with some of the defenders we drafted. Collins had youth and size - but it came to nothing. Adams could play, and at either end, but made Tom Williams look indestructible.
Hamling was great, and we lost him. We should never have let Roughie go.
We are re-building and it will take time. But, I can't wait another 59 years for a flag unless I live to 129!

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Thanks for this calm assessment. Now that the dust has settled, after the seven minute train wreck at the death, it makes a lot of sense. If we look at the quality and experience we are missing at the Club in the last few years it goes like this: Mathew Boyd, Tom Boyd, Dahlhaus, Hamling, Picken, Roughest, Stringer, Smith, Murphy, Crameri and, most of all, Dale Morris. Have I missed anyone?
We lost Libba early so that had an effect that showed up at the end. At one stage, when well on top in the last, we kicked 3 points in a row. If just one of them had been a goal ...
We need to recruit well, particularly some key defenders and we have to get Schache up and running. We have been unfortunate with some of the defenders we drafted. Collins had youth and size - but it came to nothing. Adams could play, and at either end, but made Tom Williams look indestructible.
Hamling was great, and we lost him. We should never have let Roughie go.
We are re-building and it will take time. But, I can't wait another 59 years for a flag unless I live to 129!

This is an excellent summary. We are still struggling to come to grips with the loss of so much experience. Apart from Geelong and Collingwood this is a very even competition. To defeat Carlton was a good effort. Our inability to curb Charlie Curnow was perhaps the one downside perhaps highlighting our still lack of a goal to goal structure. I see would like to see both Schache and Lew Young in the line up. Very encouraging signs again from English and Smith and a much improved Lipinski. Yesterday was a much competitive performance than previously displayed just a few weeks ago against the Blues.
Patience is required but the effort was there yesterday.

G-Mo77
16-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Wow, 7000 plus posts and you post this rubbish.

Why do you even bother supporting the team? Really pathetic remark considering the joy the club is only one of seven clubs that have achieved the holy grail this decade. Yes we are going through a tough period but geez is there a need for this type of comment. Maybe you should stop following the team.

Oh look out. I didn't think the behavior police were in here as well. If you guys want to sit back and celebrate the past then go right ahead, 2016 sadly for me is a looooong way back in the rearview mirror. I can't sit back and applaud how far and how quickly we've fallen since 1/10/16 and won't be told by a couple of people in a football forum to accept the tripe we serve up week in week out. 1 emotional charged post after we made an unlosebale lead turn into nothing and the behaviour police want me out. Give It a spell.

Mantis
16-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Curnow certainly got a good deal from the umpires tonight.

Cordy was clueless & clumsy in his defending of Curnow.. they were there.

Hotdog60
16-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Cordy did have a poor game and I think Curnow had him mentally.

Le Young had a very good game in the two's maybe it's time to get Cordy to smarten up.

whythelongface
16-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Oh look out. I didn't think the behavior police were in here as well. If you guys want to sit back and celebrate the past then go right ahead, 2016 sadly for me is a looooong way back in the rearview mirror. I can't sit back and applaud how far and how quickly we've fallen since 1/10/16 and won't be told by a couple of people in a football forum to accept the tripe we serve up week in week out. 1 emotional charged post after we made an unlosebale lead turn into nothing and the behaviour police want me out. Give It a spell.

That is a pity me post if ever I have read one. No one is wanting you out. We are just calling you out for calling our team a shithouse club, when quite frankly we aren’t. Are we not allowed to rebut your post and call it out for what it was? Are we not allowed to make comment and make a suggestion to you ? You make a comment on a public forum and you provide an opportunity for others to rebut.

G-Mo77
16-06-2019, 08:45 AM
That is a pity me post if ever I have read one. No one is wanting you out. We are just calling you out for calling our team a shithouse club, when quite frankly we aren’t. Are we not allowed to rebut your post and call it out for what it was? Are we not allowed to make comment and make a suggestion to you ? You make a comment on a public forum and you provide an opportunity for others to rebut.

Nah go right ahead, doesn't bother me that much really. Pity you only want an echo chamber for a public forum

ledge
16-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Nah go right ahead, doesn't bother me that much really. Pity you only want an echo chamber for a public forum

Shithouse club is so far wrong , we are making a profit, rebuilding our home ground, won premierships in all 3 competitions in the last 5 years , we in actual fact are probably the most successful club in the last 5 years on and off the field.
Are we going well on the field at the moment no, but to call the western bulldogs a shithouse club is so far from the truth, the club has made massive steps forward in the last 5 years and will continue to.

whythelongface
16-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Obviously it does bother you if you choose to seek pity and suggest others want you out of the forum. Clearly we don’t but you skew words to suggest that we do. As previously stated you make a comment on a public forum then you are open slather to a rebuttal. Simple really.

As for an echo chamber again you are trying to imply something that actually isn’t the reality. No one is even suggesting that you can’t have different views, but if I don’t agree with your view then surely have the right to state my opinion. Or is this not allowed? It is like you can’t handle criticism of a comment. You then go off on a tangent and have a sook and make it out that we want you removed and you can’t have an alternative view.

G-Mo77
16-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Obviously it does bother you if you choose to seek pity and suggest others want you out of the forum. Clearly we don’t but you skew words to suggest that we do. As previously stated you make a comment on a public forum then you are open slather to a rebuttal. Simple really.

As for an echo chamber again you are trying to imply something that actually isn’t the reality. No one is even suggesting that you can’t have different views, but if I don’t agree with your view then surely have the right to state my opinion. Or is this not allowed? It is like you can’t handle criticism of a comment. You then go off on a tangent and have a sook and make it out that we want you removed and you can’t have an alternative view.

Alright I'll straighten this out as you didn't get my post. The behavior police are throwing people out of games so it was themed with that. Kind of a joke, but having a dry sense of humor doesn't translate over a screen. Not seeking pity at all, I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks of me and certainly not seeking pity from strangers I've never met.

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 09:18 AM
There were some very encouraging signs last night despite most of us sitting on the edge of our seat when we should have been able to sit back and relax

English and Lipinski from the 2016 draft had very good games and while Lippa is getting more accolades for his effort last night I was still very pleased with the way English performed.
Bevo is often maligned for refusing to tag star players from the opposition got everything right early last night. I thought he could have been a bit more proactive when we allowed them back into it late in the game but changing momentum is an area we have struggled with. Curbing the influence from Cripps was a huge win for us

Our midfielders in Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley were all supreme performers and JJ provided that attacking and rebounding play he is known for. We also need to highlight the efforts of Lloyd, Suckling and Wood.

Losing Liberatore was a sour note but I was very pleased with the way we rebounded from shitty 3rd quarter and how we put ourselves into a winning position.

By the way, I still rate our chances against Collingwood next week

whythelongface
16-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Alright I'll straighten this out as you didn't get my post. The behavior police are throwing people out of games so it was themed with that. Kind of a joke, but having a dry sense of humor doesn't translate over a screen. Not seeking pity at all, I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks of me and certainly not seeking pity from strangers I've never met.

All good. I am also being a bit pedantic. We will move on.

whythelongface
16-06-2019, 09:30 AM
Thought that there were some positives to come out of last night's game. English will have his ups and downs but shows in both his tapwork and work around the ground that he will become a very good player. Hope he is signed up quick smart. Bont and Dunks were sensational early and I also liked Lipinski's game. Lloyd early was influential but faded. There were some definite heart in mouth moments both when our lead was gathered in during the 3rd qtr as well as the last 5 mins. Shouldn't happen but hopefully the team learns to play out games. It was actually a good comeback late in the 3rd and continuing the momentum in the 4th to produce the 30 plus lead. We were the better team for 75% of the game and like most games are not able to close them out or let the other team back in.

We definitely do need a ready made key back or forward (or both) to come into our team next year to shore up these areas.

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 10:27 AM

You've been an active member here for over 12 years, I certainly don't have a problem with an emotional post. Nobody should want you out

bornadog
16-06-2019, 11:22 AM

I think we can beat them next week. Last time we played them our mid field was all over them till the last quarter when we ran out of puff (after a 5 day break).

We can't have Cordy playing on Cox, and maybe Le young needs to come in, but I think they are gettable.

The bulldog tragician
16-06-2019, 11:24 AM
There were some very encouraging signs last night despite most of us sitting on the edge of our seat when we should have been able to sit back and relax

English and Lipinski from the 2016 draft had very good games and while Lippa is getting more accolades for his effort last night I was still very pleased with the way English performed.
Bevo is often maligned for refusing to tag star players from the opposition got everything right early last night. I thought he could have been a bit more proactive when we allowed them back into it late in the game but changing momentum is an area we have struggled with. Curbing the influence from Cripps was a huge win for us

Our midfielders in Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley were all supreme performers and JJ provided that attacking and rebounding play he is known for. We also need to highlight the efforts of Lloyd, Suckling and Wood.

Losing Liberatore was a sour note but I was very pleased with the way we rebounded from shitty 3rd quarter and how we put ourselves into a winning position.

Everything is better in the morning. Good reminder that we got a lot right.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 11:33 AM
https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/06/13/gbudogsblues?fbclid=IwAR1aa9bw0J9q-WcGdHwAPR37RDorcKfO9BkH19NWGzraXCHu3AEyPBP3cEg

Good write up.

"Bont tried it the last time the teams met, and he was torched by Cripps because he wasn't giving him enough respect at the contest. Macrae gave Cripps the respect he deserves, THEN he ran hard to spread and create options. That’s the way you play Cripps, and Macrae did it perfectly."

Well done Jack

"Trengove won’t earn too many plaudits for keeping McKay quiet – I suppose Harry is still at that point in his career where getting to the wrong spots and not working hard enough can almost work himself out of the game, but he got no favours at all from Trengove, who put in a solid three and a half quarter effort.

It’s funny – when McKay finally got out on the lead and Marc Murphy hit him on the chest, old mate James Brayshaw called him “Harry Taylor”. Trengove had kept him so quiet the commentators forgot his bloody name!"

SonofScray
16-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Everything is better in the morning. Good reminder that we got a lot right.

We were comfortably on top when things were going well. Outside the two big momentum swings in the 2nd half we looked like a team that had Carlton' measure without having to work exceptionally hard. There was even a bit of scoreboard pressure, with the goals ticking over at a decent rate (misses early in the third were damaging, though).

The inability for us to apply pressure on the ball when we lose a centre clearance has been a stark weakness since the flag. I thought late last year that resolved, somewhat, but it was back, worse than ever last night. That's a coaching and tactics issue more than personnel and I am weary of it.

We are creeping towards a best 22, and if things are falling our way the talent stands out. JJ is back, if he had a comrade on the other flan/wing we'd have some real rebounding pressure back in our game. Desperate for Williams to pull his head out of his arse. Or Ed to find some form. The other huge addition would be Lewis Young as an athletic KPD, if he can get going it really shifts the look of the backline.

hujsh
16-06-2019, 12:02 PM
English has shown some aptitude for actual ruckwork of late which is a very good sign for us. If the one thing comes out of this year is that he learns his craft and can match it with the best (and signs an extension) then we're a much better team in 2020

Twodogs
16-06-2019, 12:06 PM

Good, level headed assessment.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 12:37 PM

Losing Libba really hurt us.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 12:40 PM
English has shown some aptitude for actual ruckwork of late which is a very good sign for us. If the one thing comes out of this year is that he learns his craft and can match it with the best (and signs an extension) then we're a much better team in 2020

So happy for him. He got smashed in the first part of the year at times. A huge victory for certain players tonight, very young guys.

jeemak
17-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Watching the replay and am presently about half way through the third or a bit more, and Charlie was just awarded a holding free after getting rid of the footy to kick his fifth. It was possibly there, but it's no worse than what Bont had in the latter parts of the second, in fact, Bont was actually tackled rather than being taken down with momentum. Massive moment when juxtaposed against what happened earlier.

Anyway, to this point it is clear we are burned due to depth being taken from our midfield grunt, we have the support on the flanks but when Jackson Trengove is your clear standout in terms of stability and impact you know your spine is on the *!*!*!*!ed highway without any brakes.

I'm completely convinced that we are two pieces within our spine away from contending again. Every single defencive player we have struggling right now will be so much better with someone who can either stand up defencively when opposition midfields take hold or forward when we just need a contest.

I look at WCE and it is clear to me they belt us right now because they have good key forwards and we don't have at least one specialist and excellent key back, or, because they have McGovern and we don't have anyone who can stop him from dominating by taking his attention away from solely intercepting.

It's a huge challenge for us to find mature key position cover. If we can do that we're going to be completely fine.

jeemak
17-06-2019, 04:13 AM
Suckling was immense in the last five or so in the third.

I'm almost convinced we are either showing up as unfit or we got belted prior to and immediately after the break from a training perspective. Our players look out on their feet at three quarter time, much more than being a rotation down could create.

jeemak
17-06-2019, 04:59 AM
TD mentioned it earlier and that is what got me suspicious, we came off the ground way too cooked.

Hotdog60
17-06-2019, 06:37 AM
They all looked buggered after the siren went.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2019, 11:10 AM

I am sure you don't mean that mate.

Bulldog4life
17-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Coughed up a decent lead twice. That was a real concern.

A little patch just towards the end of the 3rd saved the game for us. They missed a few and we settled with a couple to undo what could've been a disastrous quarter. That was pleasing, to some degree. I thought we'd turn our toes up.

Last quarter we looked comfortable and put the cue in the rack, far too early it seems. We aren't good enough to do that, though being a man down meant they would always have a chance to come at us late.

Curnow is a gun, but you wish Naughty was adjudicated to the same standard as he and Ben Brown. Gifted half his bag. Our bloke gets scragged, nothing, makes terrific defensive efforts, no reward.

Carlton are a disgrace. Glad to see their pissant hearts break.

Agree on this 100%.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 11:14 AM
TD mentioned it earlier and that is what got me suspicious, we came off the ground way too cooked.

We had so much of the ball that we had no chance to rest. Over 400 disposals, 70 plus more than Carlton - no wonder we were tired.

Eastdog
17-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Very happy for Tim English. A very good game. We need to keep persisting with him. He will be a decent player.

Ghost Dog
17-06-2019, 11:46 AM
We had so much of the ball that we had no chance to rest. Over 400 disposals, 70 plus more than Carlton - no wonder we were tired.

Slowing the game down and controlling the pace is something we have not done well in the past.

Ghost Dog
17-06-2019, 11:46 AM
I am sure you don't mean that mate.

Pretty sure that was said in jest! ;) I've been enjoying G-mo77's posts for a few years now.

Eastdog
17-06-2019, 12:30 PM
They all looked buggered after the siren went.

Bont was one who was just on the ground. Just relieved it was over after that scare.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-06-2019, 03:13 PM
Everyone values you as a Bulldog supporter, you are gold.
I just saw someone abusing our club when you were just having a dummy spit. As you say posting sometimes tone can be misinterpretted.

ledge
17-06-2019, 05:45 PM
My friend took a photo of libber rubbing his eyes , taunting a carlton supporter who had been at them all day, sent it to a few journos, it’s all over the place now.
Libber is one hilarious guy, before we get all PC about it, even the people standing around this bloke wanted to belt him and they weren’t bulldog supporters .