PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors: Rnd 13, 2019, vs Carlton

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-06-2019, 09:33 PM
This is the round 13, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2019, 10:55 PM
B

Bonts
Suckers
Dunkley
Those posters for Carlton in the third and last

A

Dale
Gardner
Daniel brain fades and bad turnovers
Giving Carlton their 2nd 100+ score in 100 games. We are like really, really good at this.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 12:22 AM
Bankers

1. Suckling great goal in the third from the boundary line, 50 metres out on wrong side.
2. Tim English big mark in the last and goal.
3. Dunkley, the boy is a beast - 41 disposals and a goal of the year contender.

Anchors

1. I have never seen so many free kicks given to forwards in all my time going to the footy. 95% were just tiggy touchwood.
2. Libba injury - hopefully he is not out too long
3. Me - we won, but I felt flat when the siren went. Actually relieved as well, because we didn't lose to a club I despise.

AutoFill
16-06-2019, 12:42 AM
Bankers:
Dunkley: playing consistent great footy
English: continues to show improvement. Really showed great skills
tonight
Macrae: this bloke is a superstar that doesn’t get the recognition he deserves

Anchors:
Gardner: Sorry, just not good enough
Cordy: Pantsed tonight. Every flaw in his game was on display
Dale: just filling a jumper for three weeks now.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-06-2019, 12:54 AM
Bankers
Dunks - midfield beast- let's acknowledge that and make that his permanent role
English - let's get a 5 year contract in front of him ASAP
Suckers- we lose tonight without your contribution, and that isn't good.... but thank goodness anyway

Anchors
Gardner -- AFL to VFL is quite a significant difference.
Smith - you do belong at this level, use your foot more often

The bulldog tragician
16-06-2019, 01:03 AM
1. Dunkley was immense.
2. The English - Bont combination work early on was quite wonderful. Poetry.
3. We won. And lately that doesn’t happen too much, and it’s a helluva lot better than the alternative, especially against that mob.

Special mention: Bailey Smith’s superb goal. Calm under pressure.

A:
1. Where was the leadership the 2 times Carlton got a run on? How did they get a run on so easily each time?
2. I do not like Caleb Daniel on the Mark. I do not like Caleb Daniel doing the kick outs- we so rarely get momentum from them. And I don’t like his regulation two or three turnovers per game.
3. I’m so disappointed in The Other Two Baileys. I can no longer see B Dale making it. And there is a big question mark about B Williams, though I see more in him than Dale, who has regressed badly.

lemmon
16-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Bankers:
-Bont and Dunks - a dynamic duo
-Timmy English - after being wrecked by Kruzer last time, it took some real guts to go out and play the way he did
-Lipinksi - a huge step forward. He's real cementing himself in our midfield.

Anchors:
-Not sure Bailey Williams did anything right tonight. His last quarter nearly cost us
-Bailey Dale - invisible. His time is looking short
-Zaine - he doesn't get a heap of help back there, but you've had a dirty night when 7 are kicked on you

SonofScray
16-06-2019, 01:05 AM
B1 Dunkley's work in the guts. He has really stepped up a notch. Hard as nails.
B2 The Bonts work behind the ball. Does it all.
B3 English mark in the last.

A1 Gardner, not up to it. Play Shache please.
A2 Williams' turn over on the HBF, kicked it over JJ's head. Awful error, really hurt us.
A3 The definitive, decisiveness with which we lose a clean hit out and centre clearance.

S Coast Simon
16-06-2019, 08:47 AM
B- Bont and English combining in the first half was beautiful to watch.
B- Dunkley had a belter if a game tonight. Worked hard at the coal face.
B- Suckers ran his guts out

A- umpires once again. Gave Curnow his first three goals. One of them he had no idea it was even his. Now he’s a hero for kicking 7
A- people giving Cordy a hard time. Tries his guts out with very little help. ( as above )
A-Our coaching staff need to be a bit harder on the boys. Need a little of the Clarko toughness other wise we just cruise through another season with such great potential but nothing out of it.

Mantis
16-06-2019, 08:57 AM
A- umpires once again. Gave Curnow his first three goals. One of them he had no idea it was his. Now he’s a hero for kicking 7
A- people giving Cordy a hard time. Tries his guts out with very little help.
A-Our coaching staff need to be a bit harder on the boys. Need a little of the Clarko toughness other wise we just cruise through another season with such great potential but nothing out of it.

Who does he need help from?

Curnow should be a good match-up for Cordy, but he didn't play shoulder to shoulder and got caught out of position way too often... and when he did he was forced to search for him and got caught scragging.

S Coast Simon
16-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Are you really asking this because you don’t know or are you just being a smartarse.

Help from rom the other defenders coming in to spoil.
Help from the midfielders puting pressure on the kicker.
Help from the coaches by not having to cover so much space and other players with our defensive structures

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Bankers:
1) Coming up with a game plan that limited Patrick Cripps. That was a huge tick for us
2) Tim English taking a step forward, He marked well up forward and I think he did a great job particularly early for us
3) I have to single out Dunkley for his superb effort

Anchors:
1) The 3rd quarter was a disaster
2) Allowing Carlton to score a 100 points against us for the 2nd time in the season.
3) An injury to Liberatore was a sour note for me

chef
16-06-2019, 11:03 AM

Are you really asking this because you don’t know or are you just being a smartarse.

Help from rom the other defenders coming in to spoil.
Help from the midfielders puting pressure on the kicker.
Help from the coaches by not having to cover so much space and other players with our defensive structures

He shouldnt need all this extra help tbh. Hes just not a very good AFL footballer and for some reason hes one of Bevos pets. Should make way for Le Young.

westbulldog
16-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Bankers
Dunkley, in particular his first quarter and his Pele goal.
Suckling, turned the tide back to us in the third.
English, maybe a Gary Dempsey in the making.

Anchors
Bailey Dale and Gardner, do we want to field 16 against Collingwood next week ?
The AFL thought police patrols.
Cordy, courageous but seems to be getting smashed every week.

Twodogs
16-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Cordy NEVER drops his head or wanders about with his hand on his hips. That's what I love about him, he might get beaten in a contest but he's just as hard at it the next time it comes down.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Bankers
Dunkley, in particular his first quarter and his Pele goal.
Suckling, turned the tide back to us in the third.
English, maybe a Gary Dempsey in the making.

Anchors
Bailey Dale and Gardner, do we want to field 16 against Collingwood next week ?
The AFL thought police patrols.
Cordy, courageous but seems to be getting smashed every week.

Dunkley wrote the story of this game from start to end.
His final act in the dying last driving the shoulder in to get the high tackle summed it up.
Bont was incredible in this game. He kicked goals, he made goals, he goaded Daisy into gifting us a 50m, which almost got us goals.
He's a real general for us.
Can't complain we don't have KPF players with Naughton and English sweeping across, taking massive grabs. Very good game for the forward line.

Anchors
Caleb Daniel - gifting goals
Missed easy set shots.

Happy Days
16-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Cordy NEVER drops his head or wanders about with his hand on his hips. That's what I love about him, he might get beaten in a contest but he's just as hard at it the next time it comes down.

That may be the case and is an admirable trait, but even if he didn't literally drop his head he was clearly spooked by Curnow last night. Even from the first contest that Crozier psychotically ran back into intercept, Zaine's first instinct even with support was to hold.

I still think Zaine is a good player but he's been miscast. He should be a Ryan Hargrave clone but he's being made to play like a Dale Morris one out of necessity.

Twodogs
16-06-2019, 02:40 PM
That may be the case and is an admirable trait, but even if he didn't literally drop his head he was clearly spooked by Curnow last night. Even from the first contest that Crozier psychotically ran back into intercept, Zaine's first instinct even with support was to hold.

I still think Zaine is a good player but he's been miscast. He should be a Ryan Hargrave clone but he's being made to play like a Dale Morris one out of necessity.

I'd like to see him return to the forward line and do the job we clearly want Gardiner to do. Or play as the third defensive tall with some support around him. Maybe when Moz comes back in a couple of weeks?

hujsh
16-06-2019, 02:49 PM
If Zaine is to be the Hargrave 3rd tallish defender we need better disposal from him than what we got last night. None of Trengove, Young or Naughton if he happens to go back are good or quick users of the ball so that'd be an area we'd need more from Zaine on.

I could live with him as our swingman for either end and/or ruck too

Happy Days
16-06-2019, 02:54 PM
I'd like to see him return to the forward line and do the job we clearly want Gardiner to do. Or play as the third defensive tall with some support around him. Maybe when Moz comes back in a couple of weeks?

That's my preference. His best footy so far has been when he can play on the mid-tall forwards.

Gardner's "job" is really more borne out of the staff's opinion of him as a player - Mihocek does that "job" for Collingwood but also kicks 35 goals a year while doing it. I really think we need a skill upgrade in his slot rather than an honest trier like Zaine is up forward (if only there was someone in the seconds playing that position with far better skills).

Danjul
16-06-2019, 03:47 PM

I just don’t get this infatuation with Cordy.

I pointed out weeks ago that he is not being played in a way that highlights his talents. That’s not his fault. Yet he keeps getting the same task, that is the coach’s fault. Against Carlton this year he has given McKay and Curnow their career best games, and Darling is sending a thank-you card for his.

Roberts gets pilloried for an average game and Cordy gets praised for disasters. He has given up 13 goals in 2 weeks.

Cordy could be a great player and I am grateful for him getting us a premiership ( from the forward line). Start playing him sensibly.

Danjul
16-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Dunkley wrote the story of this game from start to end.
His final act in the dying last driving the shoulder in to get the high tackle summed it up.
Bont was incredible in this game. He kicked goals, he made goals, he goaded Daisy into gifting us a 50m, which almost got us goals.
He's a real general for us.
Can't complain we don't have KPF players with Naughton and English sweeping across, taking massive grabs. Very good game for the forward line.

Anchors
Caleb Daniel - gifting goals
Missed easy set shots.

I’m complaining!

Danjul
16-06-2019, 03:54 PM
If Zaine is to be the Hargrave 3rd tallish defender we need better disposal from him than what we got last night. None of Trengove, Young or Naughton if he happens to go back are good or quick users of the ball so that'd be an area we'd need more from Zaine on.

I could live with him as our swingman
...yes

for either end and/or ruck too
...no

Time to treat the ruck professionally!

1eyedog
16-06-2019, 04:37 PM
That's my preference. His best footy so far has been when he can play on the mid-tall forwards.

Gardner's "job" is really more borne out of the staff's opinion of him as a player - Mihocek does that "job" for Collingwood but also kicks 35 goals a year while doing it. I really think we need a skill upgrade in his slot rather than an honest trier like Zaine is up forward (if only there was someone in the seconds playing that position with far better skills).

What I wouldn't give for a young key tall highly touted as a youngster to just play forward and develop!

chef
16-06-2019, 05:08 PM

But we need more than just a tryer, he needs to be at least being competitive but hes not even doing that.

How he keeps getting games over Roberts and Le Young only Bevo knows. Luke has some weird favourites.

chef
16-06-2019, 05:11 PM

I think maybe a stint up forward at Footscray may be the best thing for him, try and make that position his own.

He doesn't have the tricks or agility to play as a third tall defender imo.

Ghost Dog
16-06-2019, 05:27 PM
I’m complaining!

English and Naughton! Re-training is the new recruiting Danjul! Not as KPF as Curnow granted....ouch 7 goals.
But seriously, play these two guys in a few years together when mature, very hard to stop.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 05:29 PM
But we need more than just a tryer, he needs to be at least being competitive but hes not even doing that.

How he keeps getting games over Roberts and Le Young only Bevo knows. Luke has some weird favourites.

Young yes, but Roberts - nah

chef
16-06-2019, 05:35 PM

I dont rate Roberts at all but he'd give a better contest than Cordy.

hujsh
16-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Time to treat the ruck professionally!

Wasn't bad against Goldstein. The reality is we need someone as the second ruck and if something happens where say Young (your preferred pinch hitter) can't do the job for some reason Cordy might be an okay backup.

Danjul
16-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Wasn't bad against Goldstein. The reality is we need someone as the second ruck and if something happens where say Young (your preferred pinch hitter) can't do the job for some reason Cordy might be an okay backup.

What you are saying highlights what the selectors are not doing. Thinking strategically.

Building a series of what if’s into the planning.

Look at a player’s skill set.

Cordy can play forward (did it in the finals), can play back (sometimes successfully) and can jump in the ruck (as you say).

At present he is being wasted and that is a coaching error.

It was obvious early that he was going to have a bad night. But he was left in place. I would have swapped him and Naughton. If he got 1 goal and Naughton stopped 2 we had a far more comfortable result.

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 07:48 PM

There seems to be a bit of inconsistency here, you don't want Morris, Wood or Cordy to play tall and you've now apparently ruled a line through Roberts playing as a key defender?
If all players were available, how would your back six actually look?

bornadog
16-06-2019, 07:50 PM
There seems to be a bit of inconsistency here, you don't want Morris, Wood or Cordy to play tall and you've now apparently ruled a line through Roberts playing as a key defender?
If all players were available, how would your back six actually look?

When I say tall, I mean on guys 200cm plus. I don't really rate Roberts so he is out of the equation.

I will have a think about back six

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 08:14 PM
When I say tall, I mean on guys 200cm plus. I don't really rate Roberts so he is out of the equation.

I will have a think about back six

Are you sure that is what you mean? Cordy wasn't playing on a 200cm+ player and Wood gets opponents more around the 190cm and yet you've consistently said they should never play tall along with Morris when they get toweled up

Regarding the back 6, it should be pretty straight forward for you shouldn't it? Wood, Crozier, Morris and Cordy playing on flanks and pockets and Trengove and Lewis Young in the KP slots leaving JJ and Daniel looking for other spots

Danjul
16-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Are you sure that is what you mean? Cordy wasn't playing on a 200cm+ player and Wood gets opponents more around the 190cm and yet you've consistently said they should never play tall along with Morris when they get toweled up

Regarding the back 6, it should be pretty straight forward for you shouldn't it? Wood, Crozier, Morris and Cordy playing on flanks and pockets and Trengove and Lewis Young in the KP slots leaving JJ and Daniel looking for other spots

jj can only run in straight lines. He proved that when he was tried as a forward. Halved his impact. Needs the space coming off the backline and can deliver well into the forward area.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 11:30 PM

Cordy has played on Cox, he has played on Harry Mckay (previous match) off the top of my head. Wood on Buddy, etc etc etc.

Dry Rot
17-06-2019, 12:31 AM
Bankers:

Career best best games from Dunks, Lippa and English
Suckling is only smart player we have, and it saved us
Trengove held McKay (like he did the Tiger's Lynch)

Anchors:

Poor goal kicking yet again
Opposition coaches have worked out to sort out Daniel down back
Allowing the bottom team to have two almost match winning huge momentum swings

ratsmac
17-06-2019, 02:33 AM
Bankers

1. Dunkley - midfield beast. He is becoming a seriously good player. Heeney who? Thank you Sydney

2. English - This kid can play. Kreuzer touched him up last time and the muffin responded nicely. 29 hitouts and plenty went down The Bonts throat. 15 disposals 13 of them contested to go with 2 goals and a couple of huge contested pack marks. More of that and we have ourselves an A grade ruckman.

3. Suckling - he said not on my watch. This is the sort of leadership we need from all of our senior players.

Anchors

1. Umpires love affair with Charlie Curnow. I bet every forward would that sort of a ride from the umps. Softest frees I've ever seen. No contact allowed!

2. Libba's injury. It just sucks. Hopefully he's back in a few weeks. Thank goodness his ACL is fine.

3. Dale - not doing nearly enough. Time to give someone else a go. Bring on Westy

Ozza
17-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Bankers:

Dunkley's entire game.
Macrae towelling up Cripps.
Hunter's smother.

Anchors:

Dale just not having an impact.
Our inability to defend - and that means the ground, not just the defenders. Our ability to transition to defending has been poor.
Not having the game iced by half time. Completely dominated but didn't kill the game because we leaked goals.