PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs Member Forum

Hotdog60
25-06-2019, 06:25 PM
I saw this on the Bulldogs site.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-24/watch-live-western-bulldogs-member-forum

Any Woofers going?

bornadog
25-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Yes, I will be there.

Note the live stream for any one not going.

Hotdog60
25-06-2019, 06:29 PM
It will be interesting on what questions get asked.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 06:31 PM
It will be interesting on what questions get asked.

I'm certain Dorothy Dixer will be asking all the hard questions on behalf of the membership. Hard to say what they'll be though I agree.

Eastdog
25-06-2019, 07:14 PM
I’ll be tuning in. Will be interesting to see what the members ask.

Rocket Science
25-06-2019, 07:33 PM
"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH LEWIS YOUNG?"

These questions write themselves.

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Hardly inspiring viewing thus far. Give us your questions, and we’ll skirt around them without actually saying much.

G-Mo77
25-06-2019, 08:14 PM
So are they just reading questions from what they've picked out or do we have actual live questions. I'm really not going to bother if it's soft ball crap.

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 08:20 PM
So are they just reading questions from what they've picked out or do we have actual live questions. I'm really not going to bother if it's soft ball crap.

They started by saying they’d be taking questions live.

Rocket Science
25-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Look there's clearly much of worth happening off-field the club is rightly excited about but this has all the energy of a Monday morning board presentation.

A query about the assistants made it through but was met with well-meaning though anodyne stuff about personal development and the good work everyone's done.

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 08:47 PM
3 votes, P. Gordon. The Pres goes BANG!

azabob
25-06-2019, 08:54 PM
3 votes, P. Gordon. The Pres goes BANG!

What did he let loose on?

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Miley Cyrus is better than Katy Perry.

G-Mo77
25-06-2019, 08:57 PM

Good Friday

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Good Friday

So we are getting it back?

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 09:03 PM
So we are getting it back?

It’s an AFL decision, so, not likely.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 09:06 PM
It’s an AFL decision, so, not likely.

So what's impressive about more talk about something that's not likely to happen?

G-Mo77
25-06-2019, 09:09 PM
So what's impressive about more talk about something that's not likely to happen?

The fact that it wasn't a long winded sugar coated response like most of the other answers.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 09:11 PM
The fact that it wasn't a long winded sugar coated response like most of the other questions which most seemed to be leading questions anyway.

Has the motivation for holding the event become clear? (Not a criticism of the club, but not sure yet why we've done it)

Eastdog
25-06-2019, 09:12 PM
I’ve just finished watching the livestream. So did we get a lot out of it?

Peter was spot on about Good Friday!

G-Mo77
25-06-2019, 09:18 PM
Has the motivation for holding the event become clear? (Not a criticism of the club, but not sure yet why we've done it)

I think it's a good idea but I'd like a few harder questions put forward focusing on our on field issues. I did miss the start of it so not sure what was asked earlier but it was mainly off field stuff and AFLW to finish it off from what I saw

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 09:32 PM

The fact he slammed the AFL for taking it off us after a great first up game, giving it to bigger clubs and not helping grow the league. The fact he could have simply given up and took it, but clearly did what he could to fight the system.

Eastdog
25-06-2019, 09:36 PM
What did we think of the response again to the question on the crowd behaviour. Gordo more with the AFL on that but not with Good Friday.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 09:39 PM
The fact he slammed the AFL for taking it off us after a great first up game, giving it to bigger clubs and not helping grow the league. The fact he could have simply given up and took it, but clearly did what he could to fight the system.

He told the Herald Sun that about 6 weeks ago in a blistering tirade fwiw. That's nothing new to be fair.

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 09:48 PM
What did we think of the response again to the question on the crowd behaviour. Gordo more with the AFL on that but not with Good Friday.

I disagreed with him that it is simply commonsense, and a non issue.

AndrewP6
25-06-2019, 09:49 PM
He told the Herald Sun that about 6 weeks ago in a blistering tirade fwiw. That's nothing new to be fair.

Fair enough, I for one was glad to hear him say it.

Eastdog
25-06-2019, 09:52 PM
I disagreed with him that it is simply commonsense, and a non issue.

I can understand both sides of the argument.

It is very difficult to stop people from saying certain things at the footy. I think when you go to the footy you have to be prepared for that and realise it is all part of supporting our team and the passion we have. It is an outlet for us. We can’t be policing people for just simply saying words it’s a slippery slope and the crowds just police themselves.

I totally agree that we need to stamp out behaviour that becomes physical like some of the fights that have occurred recently that affect everyone at the footy. No place for that stuff. By and large AFL crowds are pretty good.

Twodogs
25-06-2019, 09:52 PM

He's been banging on about it once a week on Jon Faine's radio show too.

Rocket Science
25-06-2019, 10:23 PM
PG's non-blockbuster tirade was entertaining and heartfelt but hardly likely to persuade AFEL house, rather spoken like a bloke who's all but given up negotiating with them.

Thought PG spoke quite strongly too about our aims for more indigenous involvement at the club.

More generally it felt like a fairly soft platform for us to spruik about bigger picture off-field endeavours. It was hardly going to be The Inquisition.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2019, 10:27 PM
He's been banging on about it once a week on Jon Faine's radio show too.

Maybe he wanted a new media platform for the airing of grievances? He's welcome to start a thread on here I'm sure. He's right, but if we are truly broken up with that concept, then let's move on and talk about things that are going to make us happy. Like future premierships, marvel themed jumpers or Gil's $3 pie days. Maybe just the future premierships actually.

bornadog
25-06-2019, 10:43 PM
PG's non-blockbuster tirade was entertaining and heartfelt but hardly likely to persuade AFEL house, rather spoken like a bloke who's all but given up negotiating with them.

Thought PG spoke quite strongly too about our aims for more indigenous involvement at the club.

More generally it felt like a fairly soft platform for us to spruik about bigger picture off-field endeavours. It was hardly going to be The Inquisition.

Well I went along today and I thought it was a great idea. The questions came from members that bothered to write in and ask, from facebook and the audience.

I suggest next time posters should ask questions if they weren't satisfied with the questions today.

In general the questions today covered:

1. Goal kicking
2. Assistant coaches
3. AFLW coach - Bevo let out of the bag that Bob will be doing some work there.
4. Ballarat
4. Good Friday
5. The redevelopment of the VUWO
6. Update on Community programmes
7. Salary Cap and are we after a big fish
8. indigenous programme and the lack of players.

bornadog
25-06-2019, 10:45 PM
On Ballarat, we have made over $6 million dollars to date. A good example was the GC game where we made $600,000 and compared to at marvel against GC where 23,000 showed up and we made $20,000

Eastdog
25-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Well I went along today and I thought it was a great idea. The questions came from members that bothered to write in and ask, from facebook and the audience.

I suggest next time posters should ask questions if they weren't satisfied with the questions today.

I general the questions today covered:

1. Goal kicking
2. Assistant coaches
3. AFLW coach - Bevo let out of the bag that Bob will be doing some work there.
4. Ballarat
4. Good Friday
5. The redevelopment of the VUWO
6. Update on Community programmes

Yeah the responsibility is on us members to ask the questions that we want answered/discussed. If you don’t ask and engage you won’t get a lot out of it.

bornadog
25-06-2019, 10:48 PM
Yeah the responsibility is on us members to ask the questions that we want answered/discussed. If you don’t ask and engage you won’t get a lot out of it.

Spot on Easty.

I spoke to PG and he said the idea came from the staff at the club, it wasn't a management decision.

Grantysghost
25-06-2019, 11:13 PM
On Ballarat, we have made over $6 million dollars to date. A good example was the GC game where we made $600,000 and compared to at marvel against GC where 23,000 showed up and we made $20,000

Wow that's mind blowing. What happened to our better deal at Docklands when the AFL took over?

bornadog
25-06-2019, 11:17 PM
Wow that's mind blowing. What happened to our better deal at Docklands when the AFL took over?

I was dying to ask that, but no chance

Axe Man
25-06-2019, 11:38 PM

That is a better deal, once upon a time we would have been writing a cheque for a crowd like that.

The much better deal we were supposed to get when the AFL took over certainly hasn't eventuated though. AFL clearly need the money to fund vital projects like AFLX and the money pits in Western Sydney and Gold Coast.

ledge
26-06-2019, 12:53 AM
That is a better deal, once upon a time we would have been writing a cheque for a crowd like that.

The much better deal we were supposed to get when the AFL took over certainly hasn't eventuated though. AFL clearly need the money to fund vital projects like AFLX and the money pits in Western Sydney and Gold Coast.

They need the money to employ proper video review people , not the guys selling pies down the aisles.

bornadog
26-06-2019, 01:00 AM
They need the money to employ proper video review people , not the guys selling pies down the aisles.

Jutst get rid of video review

G-Mo77
26-06-2019, 04:56 AM

What makes you think they didn't? Softball questions would have been to the top and the more pressing ones pushed aside. I mean a question was picked out asking about Bob Murphy becoming part of the coaching team. Honestly? Surely there was something a little more interesting than that.

bornadog
26-06-2019, 10:07 AM
What makes you think they didn't? Softball questions would have been to the top and the more pressing ones pushed aside. I mean a question was picked out asking about Bob Murphy becoming part of the coaching team. Honestly? Surely there was something a little more interesting than that.

If you look at the topics covered (see my post above), what else would you like to have covered?

ledge
26-06-2019, 11:22 AM
If you look at the topics covered (see my post above), what else would you like to have covered?

As most of us weren’t there is it possible to give us the answer they gave to each of the topics ?

bornadog
26-06-2019, 11:38 AM
As most of us weren’t there is it possible to give us the answer they gave to each of the topics ?

Hi Ledge, I need some time to write up.

G-Mo77
26-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Explanations on what went wrong after 2016 and what they're doing to rectify it. Questions on list management questioning why we went into 2019 with 1 ruck and low stocks in KP areas. They're just a couple off the top of my head and I'm sure these and more were put forward but pushed aside. It is what it is though. It was more focussed on our off field position which is quite good and great to hear we're kicking goals there it's just a shame we can't do it on the field.

bornadog
26-06-2019, 02:45 PM
Explanations on what went wrong after 2016 and what they're doing to rectify it. Questions on list management questioning why we went into 2019 with 1 ruck and low stocks in KP areas. They're just a couple off the top of my head and I'm sure these and more were put forward but pushed aside. It is what it is though. It was more focussed on our off field position which is quite good and great to hear we're kicking goals there it's just a shame we can't do it on the field.

* That was the first questioned asked.

* Mental Health was discussed - which lead to Tom retiring and one less ruckman.

ledge
26-06-2019, 06:19 PM
Hi Ledge, I need some time to write up.

No worries mate , should be interesting to read some.

SonofScray
26-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Great that the club streamed it. I was playing ice hockey so couldn't attend, listened in as a drove to the rink. Reckon it's a good initiative even if it was carefully managed.

Bains seems a good operator. Liked that he was not just using that diplomatic, business speak you get from people in his role. He did that too, but in between there was some frank reflection and honesty, even enough confidence to just bat away some of the stupid questions.

Bevo is a verbose mess at the moment. I agree with a fair chunk of what he was saying, but much like our team's inefficiency in front of goal, he is with his words and story telling. Shorten things up, simplify your language and remember that not every question, or response in a coaching relationship has to be super powerful and transformative. Bloke knows his stuff, I trust his ability but he's not communicating well in these spaces.

PG a good operator as always. Loved his answer re: indigenous representation and support for the question re: gender equity. Appreciated his comments re: Footscray rebranding, even if I disagree. Gently batted away, with some liberties taken, but not completely ignored, which was good.

Eastdog
26-06-2019, 09:00 PM
Peter we may not always agree with some things all the time but we cannot deny his great contribution to our club. It was great listening to Gaye Hamilton running through the club community initiatives was great to listen to. Makes me a proud member of our club and what it does in the coummity.

Prince Imperial
26-06-2019, 11:07 PM
Most interesting fact revealed I thought was from Peter Gordon. When Cross St is realigned, the club believes our land parcel south of the oval will be worth double its current $16m valuation. Wow!

bornadog
27-06-2019, 12:00 AM
No worries mate , should be interesting to read some.

I will just give you some comments on the onfield questions:

1. Why no finals in past three years

Bevo started by saying it's not easy to answer in a short time but in essence due to loss of personnel since 2016. From the 2016 list we only have 20 players left of which there are 11 from premiership team. The retirements of Bob, Clay, Matty Boyd, T Boyd, Biggs, Picken has hurt the team as they had experience, plus the free agency departures for one reason or another. The team is in essence different than what we had in 2016, and the current players are developing and trying their hardest to get us back up there.

Doesn't answer all our concerns, but supporters must realise, it is a different team.

2. Assistant Coaches - Wasn't really answered the way I would have wanted as the question also asked about new assistants for next year.

Bevo said when he arrived all the assistants were on two year contracts, and those that were renewed ( I guess in 2017), were also for two years. Bevo believes in giving people some stability in their life and not signing year by year.

He did sort of hint there could be changes - I hope so.

Again, would have been good to say we are looking for a refresh, but I guess unfair to current coaches.

3. Recruitment -Drafting and trading and salary cap availability

We are definitely on the hunt for some players to come in from other clubs. Bevo stressed he is one of six on the panel that approves new players.

When PG spoke about the lack of indigenous players, I heard a hint we could try and trade for an established player that we could also use as creating an environment for other indigenous players to be enticed. Both Chad and Impey decided on Hawks due to wanting to play with Cyril and Burgoyne.

4. Goalkicking

We do practise goalkicking (GVGJR was correct). We practise on the run, different angles, set shots, snaps etc. When players miss he doesn't get stuck into them as they all know they have stuffed up. He recognises it is a big issue and they just have to keep working on it.

I said to PG before the forum, we have had the same number of shots at goal as Geelong, but kicked 201 fewer points.

I put up my hand to ask why do we leak so many goals, but time had ran out.

Scraggers
27-06-2019, 11:26 AM
I really enjoyed the forum and it was a great initiative from the Club. I was disappointed the questions being asked on the facebook forum weren't being asked of the panel. And whilst I thought the questions being asked from the floor were good, better questions could have been asked.

My suggestion to the organisers, break the forum into two different sessions ... administration and football.

bornadog
27-06-2019, 11:51 AM
I really enjoyed the forum and it was a great initiative from the Club. I was disappointed the questions being asked on the facebook forum weren't being asked of the panel. And whilst I thought the questions being asked from the floor were good, better questions could have been asked.

My suggestion to the organisers, break the forum into two different sessions ... administration and football.

The host of the forum was very good, I think she tried to spread the questions amongst onfield, redevelopment of VUWO, AFLW and Community programmes. I didn't get the feeling she was leaving out anything controversial, but I didn't see the Facebook questions. I understand some of the comments on FB were disgusting.

In the end ran out of time, but I agree it should be split up and more should be on football rather than admin.

Axe Man
27-06-2019, 11:58 AM

I would be amazed if anything half intelligible came from Facebook. Anytime I read any Bulldogs related comments on there I instantly regret it and swear some of my brain cells lose the will to go on.

Twodogs
27-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Most interesting fact revealed I thought was from Peter Gordon. When Cross St is realigned, the club believes our land parcel south of the oval will be worth double its current $16m valuation. Wow!

Whoah! All over West Footscray and Yarraville they are redeveloping parcels of old industrial (and some parkland when they think nobody is paying attention) land. I personally wouldn't be buying a house that sits on old factory sites that have christ knows what poisons leeching up through the ground and I certainly wouldn't trust a developer to clear the site up properly either.

I wonder what the time frame is on the realignment? I googled it but the results didn't seem to have anything to do the Cross st site which I assume is out the back of where the scoreboard is and down to the old pub?

Axe Man
27-06-2019, 12:40 PM
I personally wouldn't be buying a house that sits on old factory sites that have christ knows what poisons leeching up through the ground and I certainly wouldn't trust a developer to clear the site up properly either.

Don't know what you are talking about, my bearded wife and 7 rat/human hybrid children love it here. The extra limbs I have grown sure do come in handy fighting off the mutant cats the size of small horses I encounter on a daily basis.

bornadog
27-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Whoah! All over West Footscray and Yarraville they are redeveloping parcels of old industrial (and some parkland when they think nobody is paying attention) land. I personally wouldn't be buying a house that sits on old factory sites that have christ knows what poisons leeching up through the ground and I certainly wouldn't trust a developer to clear the site up properly either.

I wonder what the time frame is on the realignment? I googled it but the results didn't seem to have anything to do the Cross st site which I assume is out the back of where the scoreboard is and down to the old pub?

The redevelopment will be over a number of stages Taking over Cross st and realigning could be over 5 years away. We will know more once they finalise it all.

Twodogs
27-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Don't know what you are talking about, my bearded wife and 7 rat/human hybrid children love it here. The extra limbs I have grown sure do come in handy fighting off the mutant cats the size of small horses I encounter on a daily basis.

Bloody mutant cats. No idea where they are coming from.

The redevelopment will be over a number of stages Taking over Cross st and realigning could be over 5 years away. We will know more once they finalise it all.

I would think that we will just sell it on to a developer.

Eastdog
27-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Thanks BAD. Your one of the great woofers. I’d be getting up there now :)

1eyedog
27-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Bloody mutant cats. No idea where they are coming from.

Geelong

ledge
27-06-2019, 08:12 PM
I will just give you some comments on the onfield questions:

1. Why no finals in past three years

Bevo started by saying it's not easy to answer in a short time but in essence due to loss of personnel since 2016. From the 2016 list we only have 20 players left of which there are 11 from premiership team. The retirements of Bob, Clay, Matty Boyd, T Boyd, Biggs, Picken has hurt the team as they had experience, plus the free agency departures for one reason or another. The team is in essence different than what we had in 2016, and the current players are developing and trying their hardest to get us back up there.

Doesn't answer all our concerns, but supporters must realise, it is a different team.

2. Assistant Coaches - Wasn't really answered the way I would have wanted as the question also asked about new assistants for next year.

Bevo said when he arrived all the assistants were on two year contracts, and those that were renewed ( I guess in 2017), were also for two years. Bevo believes in giving people some stability in their life and not signing year by year.

He did sort of hint there could be changes - I hope so.

Again, would have been good to say we are looking for a refresh, but I guess unfair to current coaches.

3. Recruitment -Drafting and trading and salary cap availability

We are definitely on the hunt for some players to come in from other clubs. Bevo stressed he is one of six on the panel that approves new players.

When PG spoke about the lack of indigenous players, I heard a hint we could try and trade for an established player that we could also use as creating an environment for other indigenous players to be enticed. Both Chad and Impey decided on Hawks due to wanting to play with Cyril and Burgoyne.

4. Goalkicking

We do practise goalkicking (GVGJR was correct). We practise on the run, different angles, set shots, snaps etc. When players miss he doesn't get stuck into them as they all know they have stuffed up. He recognises it is a big issue and they just have to keep working on it.

I said to PG before the forum, we have had the same number of shots at goal as Geelong, but kicked 201 fewer points.

I put up my hand to ask why do we leak so many goals, but time had ran out.

Thanks for that BaD

ledge
27-06-2019, 08:15 PM
On the redevelopment, I wonder what’s going to happen to Cross street?
Does anyone have a copy of the future plan they can put up ?

bornadog
28-06-2019, 12:10 AM
On the redevelopment, I wonder what’s going to happen to Cross street?
Does anyone have a copy of the future plan they can put up ?

Part will be used for a second training oval. They want to move the existing oval closer to Barkers Cafe and have more room in the outer for people. Also a possibily of having some apartments built where Cross St is.

Initially, the club wants to spend $45million, and there is a proposal going to the Victorian Government for some help.

Twodogs
28-06-2019, 07:32 PM
Thanks BAD. Your one of the great woofers. I’d be getting up there now :)

*You're

Scraggers
28-06-2019, 08:33 PM
*You're

Beat me to it :)

Twodogs
28-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Beat me to it :)

That's OK, I think that you beat me to a post a couple of weeks ago.

Eastdog
29-06-2019, 03:31 PM
You can watch the whole members forum again on the website for those that missed it. Will have to forth some questions for the next members forum.

Bulldog4life
29-06-2019, 04:37 PM
You can watch the whole members forum again on the website for thsoe that missed it. Will have to forth some questions for the next members forum.

You are having us on Easty.

Eastdog
29-06-2019, 04:38 PM
You are having us on Easty.

Sorry B4L just fixed it. Typo as I typed it from my phone :)