PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood backs paycuts to end Footy Gambling

The Doctor
27-06-2019, 05:05 PM
We have a great leader.

The bulldogs that is. Not the AFL

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-27/afl-urged-to-cut-player-pay-to-curb-gambling-advertising/11251154?fbclid=IwAR2VM4hFTn3sPx1nNxfDSOnycCEkYxZO1vys5sJKnn Cfd1-ruwG1FFJ16SA

bulldogtragic
27-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Interesting a single player from one of 18 clubs has the moral high ground over anyone responsible for the game. Maybe the afel elites aren’t prepared to have their multi million dollar bonuses wound back.

westdog54
27-06-2019, 08:39 PM
Interesting a single player from one of 18 clubs has the moral high ground over anyone responsible for the game. Maybe the afel elites aren’t prepared to have their multi million dollar bonuses wound back.

Stephen Milne and Nick Riewoldt were on SEN with Garry Lyon this morning and to the surprise of absolutely no one, both believed that the burden shouldn't be on the players.

Sums up the both of them rather nicely.

azabob
27-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Stephen Milne and Nick Riewoldt were on SEN with Garry Lyon this morning and to the surprise of absolutely no one, both believed that the burden shouldn't be on the players.

Yep, unfortunately it does.

Twodogs
28-06-2019, 12:03 PM

Apart from Eaton it's likely to be the prevailing view though. I wish it wasn't but it would be, even at our club.

GVGjr
28-06-2019, 12:22 PM
I admire his offer but it shouldn't be on the players. The AFL needs to look deep at this income stream and phase it out over a period of time.

hujsh
28-06-2019, 12:42 PM
If it’s part of an equally shared reduction (proportionally) then it’s fair.

No way should it be entirely on the players (I pretty sure it can’t anyway)

Murphy'sLore
28-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Well said, Easton. Love the way he's keeping the issue in the spotlight.

If they shut down GWS and Gold Coast, and sacked half the staff at AFL House who keep tinkering with the rules and researching 'match day experience' options, I think they could afford to ditch the gambling companies easily.

bornadog
28-06-2019, 03:14 PM
I admire his offer but it shouldn't be on the players. The AFL needs to look deep at this income stream and phase it out over a period of time.

I think he is just saying that so it could get publicity. The AFL won't do anything about it as they get huge dollars for the advertising.

GVGjr
28-06-2019, 04:56 PM
I think he is just saying that so it could get publicity. The AFL won't do anything about it as they get huge dollars for the advertising.

Agreed, but I also think if he just spoke out against the AFL being linked to gambling it would get a lot of support

bornadog
28-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Agreed, but I also think if he just spoke out against the AFL being linked to gambling it would get a lot of support

Geelong is backing Wood and calling on AFL to examine its relationship with gambling.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Geelong is backing Wood and calling on AFL to examine its relationship with gambling.

I think Easton has played the right card. If players agree, it forces the AFL to reveal their hand.
I'm impressed by Easton's tactical move here.

azabob
29-06-2019, 10:48 AM

I am not so sure. I think he would've copped a lot of critisim on players not willing to take a pay cut to off set the lack of sponsirship dollars.

For major change to happen, stakeholders need to be willing to sacrifice.

The players claim they are huge part of the game but they can't always have their cake and eat it too.

Happy Days
29-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Can’t say I’m surprised that Milne doesn’t want to take responsibility for something.