PDA

View Full Version : Three things you have learned round 15 2019 v Port Adelaide

Twodogs
29-06-2019, 07:21 PM
Tell us three things that you know now that you didn't know before the game.

GVGjr
29-06-2019, 10:41 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
29-06-2019, 11:07 PM
1. Non bulldog fans will say of our best half back:

That JJ runs really fast, and kicks really long. He's your best.
Easton Wood us your captain. He's your best.
The little guy with the helmet gets it a lot. He's your best.

But Crozier is our best half back.

2. Jack Macrae has had THE MOST 30+ touch games in the last two years but won't be named as an AA in either year. But that's the selectors ignorance, not being one of the elite mids for at least two years.

3. I still find it funny the justification of selecting Gardner over Schache. 11.3 in 6 games this year. Highest goal average per game for us this year.

AshMac
29-06-2019, 11:24 PM
1. Wet weather really supports our game plan
2. We’re cooked next week after the level of physical intensity that match took. Lucky we only have Geelong
3. Crozier has become our best defender

bornadog
29-06-2019, 11:41 PM
1. Bring intensity, effort over 4 quarters and you won't lose many games.

2. The time Schache and Lippiniski spent at VFL level is paying off.

3. I know this already, but The Bont is unbelievable - extend him again NOW

AshMac
29-06-2019, 11:48 PM
3. I know this already, but The Bont is unbelievable - extend him again NOW

Feel like I write this almost every week this year...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2019, 12:00 AM
1. When Bailey Smith discovers his ability to run he is going to be top tier. He's done the opposite of most 1st year recruits in that he's established his bonafides on the inside.. as a teen. When he is let off the leash..look out AFL he's a future game Brownlow contender.
2. Our coaching group got their game back tonight. Switched Naughton back at pivotal moments, and he was serviceable in the ruck.
3. Roarke Smith can play a role at AFL level. I did not think he was up to it.

hujsh
30-06-2019, 12:08 AM
1. When Bailey Smith discovers his ability to run he is going to be top tier. He's done the opposite of most 1st year recruits in that he's established his bonafides on the inside.. as a teen. When he is let off the leash..look out AFL he's a future game Brownlow contender.
2. Our coaching group got their game back tonight. Switched Naughton back at pivotal moments, and he was serviceable in the ruck.
3. Roarke Smith can play a role at AFL level. I did not think he was up to it.

I wonder if he could be our new Biggs? Flanker/wingman who isn't the most skilled but gives it absolutely everything and takes all he can get.

AshMac
30-06-2019, 12:13 AM
1. When Bailey Smith discovers his ability to run he is going to be top tier

He was enormous tonight in more than just efficiency w the pill. He was the bloke that went over to every tackle and pulled up the dogs player, pushed off the opposition. Loved that.

Absolutely love his aggression after the contest too.

Eastdog
30-06-2019, 12:31 AM
1. Wet weather really supports our game plan
2. We’re cooked next week after the level of physical intensity that match took. Lucky we only have Geelong
3. Crozier has become our best defender

Will be a tough game next week but last time at Marvel we beat them and down Geelong Road 5 weeks ago we were in it for 3 quarters but got done in the last. Bring a 4 quarter effort next week and he can give them a shake.

LostDoggy
30-06-2019, 12:35 AM
1. Bont GOAT

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2019, 01:00 AM
He was enormous tonight in more than just efficiency w the pill. He was the bloke that went over to every tackle and pulled up the dogs player, pushed off the opposition. Loved that.

Absolutely love his aggression after the contest too.

100%.
Carlton took the safe option in Walsh, who no doubt will be a good pick. But Smith is going to be the best midfielder from the draft, once he hits his full stride.

macca
30-06-2019, 01:16 AM
1. 4 quarter efforts we will smash teams
2. We can kick more goals than points . But don’t know how we can kick better in the wet
3. Roark , williams , B.smith , crozier were very good . That’s our depth and backbone which will scare teams
4. English need help in the ruck . SWEET hurry up and fill that GAP

Throughandthrough
30-06-2019, 01:21 AM
1. Hail is both cold and wet
2. Rain is wet
3. I shiver for ages when I’m soaked to the bone
4. I still love my team

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-06-2019, 01:24 AM
1. Hail is both cold and wet
2. Rain is wet
3. I shiver for ages when I’m soaked to the bone
4. I still love my team

I treasure the wins I've seen up here in Brisbane. In particular the win in 99 in a raging monsoon -where I met my wife.

LostDoggy
30-06-2019, 01:54 AM
I treasure the wine I've seen up here in Brisbane. In particular the win in 99 in a raging monsoon -where I met my wife.

I think you mean rain but well played either way

GVGjr
30-06-2019, 06:38 AM
1) Some often use the excuse of an inexperienced playing list but Port had 6 first year players in their squad tonight but I think Bailey Smiths effort was better than everyone one of them. If we were uneasy with selecting Smith in the draft we shouldn't be he's doing far better than I expected given his limited preseason.

2) Bont made very difficult conditions look easy and while I've seen that before from him I rate tonight's effort right up there with the best game I've seen from him.

3) Special mentions to Lipinski and R.Smith tonight both of them handled the wet conditions so well which surprised me

westdog54
30-06-2019, 07:58 AM
1. We have a team full of mudlarks.
2. Crazier is more courageous than I gave him credit for.
3. I'm more worried than ever about our captain.

The Underdog
30-06-2019, 08:22 AM
1. We have a team full of mudlarks.
2. Crazier is more courageous than I gave him credit for.
3. I'm more worried than ever about our captain.

When you think about who’s spot Morris should take. His is the logical one at the moment

westdog54
30-06-2019, 08:38 AM
When you think about who’s spot Morris should take. His is the logical one at the moment

Agreed.

Massive test for the match committee.

ratsmac
30-06-2019, 10:50 AM
1. Shoulda coulda woulda. We are left standing with our proverbial in our hand that is our season to date. If we had of won the games that we should of e.g. Carlton, Gold Coast and probably Norf, we would not be planning holidays in September.

2. It must be hard for Easton Wood to watch Bontempelli doing his job for him. The Bont set us up in the first quarter like a pure captain. I love Woody but mate what has happened to you mate. You're a shadow of yourself.

3. Rourke Smith take a bow. He was terrific. Clean with a slippery ball when others struggled to handle it and kept his feet when others were slip sliding all over the place. I loved his goal and I loved the smile on his face after it. The way his team mates got over to him shows how much of a loved team mate he is. Hopefully this game sets a career in the AFL for him. So basically I learned that R. Smith deserves his place in the 22.

ratsmac
30-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Double post

Mitcha
30-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Bont free zone so,
1. Hayden Crozier might be just about the best moneyball pick we have ever made. Brought across as an inconsistent forward but has turned into a highly dependable defender who reads the game extremely well and has staggered me with his bravery.
2. Josh Schache might be coming of age. In conditions that were far from ideal for his type he was aggressive at the contest and made good second efforts at ground level. Took some nice clean grabs and can be relied upon to get full scoreboard reward, should play all remaining games unless injured.
3. Team defence, on a night suited to defend we seemed to set up much better with an anchor defender (goalkeeper) ready to pick off any dirty forward entries and denying any out the back goals.
Special mention to Rourke Smith, well done young fella, you deserve some luck.

GVGjr
30-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Agreed.

Massive test for the match committee.

IMO there is no way Wood would even be in the discussions of being dropped despite his declining form.
He's had just 9 kicks and 9 handballs in the the last two weeks and just 5 marks and 1 tackle. His punching of the ball seems to more highly regarded now. Did he punch the ball away from himself in the last quarter when he had no opponent? I need to have another look at it.

In 2015 he was averaging just under 18 disposals and 7 marks per game, in 2019 it's just over 11 for disposals and a fraction under 4 marks per game.

For what it's worth the MC would look at moving one of the smaller players like Duryea out of the back half to make room for Morris
I'd be genuine surprised if Woods name was even mentioned in discussions. Morris will come in soon enough but I highly doubt it will be at the expense of Wood

bornadog
30-06-2019, 11:58 AM
IMO there is no way Wood would even be in the discussions of being dropped despite his declining form.
He's had just 9 kicks and 9 handballs in the the last two weeks and just 5 marks and 1 tackle. His punching of the ball seems to more highly regarded now. Did he punch the ball away from himself in the last quarter when he had no opponent? I need to have another look at it.

In 2015 he was averaging just under 18 disposals and 7 marks per game, in 2019 it's just over 11 for disposals and a fraction under 4 marks per game.

For what it's worth the MC would look at moving one of the smaller players like Duryea out of the back half to make room for Morris
I'd be genuine surprised if Woods name was even mentioned in discussions. Morris will come in soon enough but I highly doubt it will be at the expense of Wood

His role has changed dramatically between 2015 and 2019.

Morris won't be back for a few weeks according to Bevo.

GVGjr
30-06-2019, 01:02 PM
His role has changed dramatically between 2015 and 2019.

Morris won't be back for a few weeks according to Bevo.

Is that something that is well known or something I just missed? I know we tried to turn him into a forward last year which didn't work
So if I'm hearing you correctly we changed his role to gradually reduce his possession count each year?
Seems strange that we would do that to a defender when we generally rely on quick transitions from the back line.

I would have thought that the 6, 6, 6 rule might have limited his effectiveness from zoning off and being the 3rd man in marking contests just a bit but I'd be interested to hear how we have dramatically changed his role?

BornInDroopSt'54
30-06-2019, 01:12 PM
1. What a slick wet weather team we are despite playing Marvel a lot.
2. We should give more money to the Bont.
3. We are on the rise with lots of potential with development left in Schache, Smiths x2, English, Naughton, Lips and even Crozier.

bornadog
30-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Is that something that is well known or something I just missed? I know we tried to turn him into a forward last year which didn't work
So if I'm hearing you correctly we changed his role to gradually reduce his possession count each year?
Seems strange that we would do that to a defender when we generally rely on quick transitions from the back line.

I would have thought that the 6, 6, 6 rule might have limited his effectiveness from zoning off and being the 3rd man in marking contests just a bit but I'd be interested to hear how we have dramatically changed his role?

Firstly I will say I don't think he is as good as he was back in 2015 and I think that could be due to a number of factors.

Back in 2015, his role was more interceptor, as you say 3rd man marking as well as doing a bit of run and carry. The last couple of years he has been forced to play deeper back, and one on one against taller players. Stats like punching the ball don't show up in disposal count. His disposal count is more like a Cordy or Morris.

Highlights from 3 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWZBJiZ3QvI

BornInDroopSt'54
30-06-2019, 04:56 PM
To have a chance to make the eight we need at least 12 wins thats six more from nine games. We should win at least five of them and not a stretch to say six. Our percentage should then improve so this season and how we end it is critical to our future.

The Underdog
30-06-2019, 05:04 PM
To have a chance to make the eight we need at least 12 wins thats six more from nine games. We should win at least five of them and not a stretch to say six. Our percentage should then improve so this season and how we end it is critical to our future.

It’s 6 from 8. And while there’s some winnable ones there, with Geelong, GWS away and Brisbane away plus Essendon and Adelaide on the slate. I’d be absolutely amazed if we got there. 4 or 5 wins would be a pretty solid finish.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-06-2019, 05:44 PM
1. We are beginning to find some depth with the emergence of Roarke Smith, Bailey Smith and Williams plus Schache
2. The defence was excellent restricting Port to 5 goals with Crozier and Daniel the stars again.
3. Bontempelli Dunkley and Macrae are quality mid fielders

Happy Days
30-06-2019, 06:21 PM
1. Port fans are unbelievably petty. One woman wouldn't even move her legs off the seat in front of her to let me walk past after the siren.

2. Bont is the best wet weather player in AFL/VFL history. I have proof now. Jack Macrae isn't bad either.

3. Bevo has learned the value of not leaving Tim in the middle to slowly wilt. Not that it yielded anything too impressive but I really liked moving Naughton in the ruck, or at least the thinking behind it.

GVGjr
30-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Firstly I will say I don't think he is as good as he was back in 2015 and I think that could be due to a number of factors.

Back in 2015, his role was more interceptor, as you say 3rd man marking as well as doing a bit of run and carry. The last couple of years he has been forced to play deeper back, and one on one against taller players. Stats like punching the ball don't show up in disposal count. His disposal count is more like a Cordy or Morris.

Why would we do that? Is punching the ball really a stat?

If all that is true can we play Morris, Wood and Cordy in the back line?

bornadog
30-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Why would we do that? Is punching the ball really a stat?

If all that is true can we play Morris, Wood and Cordy in the back line?

Maybe not, too may of the same type.

bornadog
30-06-2019, 07:06 PM
1. Port fans are unbelievably petty. One woman wouldn't even move her legs off the seat in front of her to let me walk past after the siren.

Unbelievable :D

mjp
30-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Well...sure.

But all we have to do right now is beat Geelong next week...I know it sounds moronic but just like whenever you are behind you don't need to kick 5 goals - you simply have to start by kicking ONE - all we have to do right now is win 1 out of 1 and not worry about all the other BS because luck, injuries and suspensions will ALL play their part (either with impact upon us or other contenders).

Bumper Bulldogs
30-06-2019, 08:08 PM
1. We are fantastic when we commit to playing
2. In the coming years we will reload fir another crack at the flag
3. Naughton and Schacke need to play forward all the time.
4. I just can’t understand why in the wet and rain we still use Daniel to do the kicking in duties. Why not use Suckers kick as long as you can to the contest at the boundary, reset keep going. Daniel wasn’t clearing the 50 line. Heart in the mouth stuff really.

Twodogs
30-06-2019, 08:34 PM
1. We are fantastic when we commit to playing
2. In the coming years we will reload fir another crack at the flag
3. Naughton and Schacke need to play forward all the time.
4. I just can’t understand why in the wet and rain we still use Daniel to do the kicking in duties. Why not use Suckers kick as long as you can to the contest at the boundary, reset keep going. Daniel wasn’t clearing the 50 line. Heart in the mouth stuff really.

I really hope so. One flag isn't even close to being enough.

bornadog
30-06-2019, 08:47 PM

I want more

Eastdog
30-06-2019, 08:50 PM
I want more

Me too. Hoping the 21st century is a really successful one for us and that 2016 is only the beginning.

Twodogs
30-06-2019, 09:03 PM
I want more

Yep. It's funny but winning a flag was never part of the deal and I just thought that it was something that would just pass us by and I never really missed it. In fact the first thing I said to my mate when we won was "Now I can die happy" But that was until we won one and now I want more. One isn't enough.

AshMac
30-06-2019, 09:15 PM
100%.
Carlton took the safe option in Walsh, who no doubt will be a good pick. But Smith is going to be the best midfielder from the draft, once he hits his full stride.

I think from the two I'd prefer Walsh - he is the best first year player I've seen since Judd.

I also love Bailey Smith - ill be honest, very critical of his first few games, was convinced he wasnt ready for AFL, but his progress over the weeks has been jaw dropping.

AshMac
30-06-2019, 09:17 PM

So true. When we first won all the pressure and tension of the last 35 years of going to games fell away - it was our turn. As it happens, premierships are like crack (i'm guessing) because I'm addicted now

Twodogs
30-06-2019, 09:26 PM
So true. When we first won all the pressure and tension of the last 35 years of going to games fell away - it was our turn. As it happens, premierships are like crack (i'm guessing) because I'm addicted now

Very much like crack. Although ice is the new crack.