PDA

View Full Version : With the development of various players, where do Libba and Wallis fit into the team now?

Dry Rot
04-07-2019, 12:34 AM
Dunkley, B Smith and now Lipinski going well in the midfield along with Macrae, the Bont and Hunter. Maclean pressing to get back into the team.

Lloyd going well down forward, Dickson OK lately and Cavarra pressing now for selection. Half the rest of the team are HBFs. Coach happy with R Smith and Williams.

So where do Libba and Wallis fit in when they are fit?

comrade
04-07-2019, 09:26 AM
If I were Wally’s manager, I’d be seeking out clubs who need some midfield grunt (like Essendon). He’s surplus to our midfield needs and has been for a while hence he plays so much forward where he’s handy but not a game changer. Seeing him in other colours would sting but it’d be better for both parties if he was getting big minutes in a midfield where he is needed vs being floated between mid/forward and possibly VFL like he will be with us.

Libba is a jet and will figure out a way to squeeze back in.

MrMahatma
04-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Dunkley, B Smith and now Lipinski going well in the midfield along with Macrae, the Bont and Hunter. Maclean pressing to get back into the team.

Lloyd going well down forward, Dickson OK lately and Cavarra pressing now for selection. Half the rest of the team are HBFs. Coach happy with R Smith and Williams.

So where do Libba and Wallis fit in when they are fit?

Personally, I don’t see any of those displacing Libba.

I’m also a Wallis fan but he seems out of favour with some. I’d be reluctant to shed too much midfield grunt and depth. You need a strong best 26-28 rather than just 22.

bornadog
04-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Personally, I don’t see any of those displacing Libba.

I’m also a Wallis fan but he seems out of favour with some. I’d be reluctant to shed too much midfield grunt and depth. You need a strong best 26-28 rather than just 22.

Nothing like a bit of competition amongst the boys. Wally has been excellent this year and is going no where.

Ozza
04-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Nothing like a bit of competition amongst the boys. Wally has been excellent this year and is going no where.

Tend to agree on the 'needing a strong 26-28' angle and that Wally should be going nowhere.
We always have injuries, always. There is going to be opportunities, and if those in the team are good enough to keep Wally out, then its a great sign for the club.

Axe Man
04-07-2019, 10:24 AM
It must be remembered that we have had the best run with injuries for a number of years. I'm sure it will return to half the list being unavailable at times in the coming years and that's when you need really need the depth referred to above. We are also very young and don't need to shed players of Wally and Libba's experience if we can help it.

Mofra
04-07-2019, 12:14 PM
I just don't see Wallis as a midfielder.

Smith has genuine pace and Dunkley is a beast, Wallis played the back half of 2018 well as a forward and that's where I think he needs to play. He has Gia-like traits forward of the ball - not quick, not tall, but very smart and converts better than most of his teammates.

Rocket Science
04-07-2019, 12:32 PM

Smith has genuine pace and Dunkley is a beast, Wallis played the back half of 2018 well as a forward and that's where I think he needs to play. He has Gia-like traits forward of the ball - not quick, not tall, but very smart and converts better than most of his teammates.

Agreed, assuming a full, healthy complement to choose from Wally's up against it squeezing into our mid brigade, though a handy fallback should we need it.

If he could do the sort of job Clay Smith did for us up forward though, that'd be nice.

AndrewP6
04-07-2019, 01:18 PM
Libba is a jet and ahead of most of those listed, with the exception of Bont. Dunks having a big year, but we're much stronger with Libba in the thick of it. I love Dicko, but he's nearing the end of his career. Cavarra is a wait and see, with Wallis we know what we'd get. Lipinski had been good the last couple, but was VFL not long ago.

Both are easily best 22, and as stated, you need more than 22 to contend.

boydogs
04-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Wallis is heart and soul, finds something when the club needs it

AshMac
05-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Was just about to write the same thing. Be great to see Wally tried as a permanent forward - much like GWS with Toby Greene. Doesn’t have the same bag of tricks and maybe not as good overhead but very effective at bringing the ball to ground and rarely gets beaten one on one.

He’d be enough for the opposition backline to worry about.

I think Dunks is well ahead of him now as effective midfielders, and we want more time into Lipinski to see what he is capable of.

Bullies
05-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Libba is a jet and ahead of most of those listed, with the exception of Bont. Dunks having a big year, but we're much stronger with Libba in the thick of it. I love Dicko, but he's nearing the end of his career. Cavarra is a wait and see, with Wallis we know what we'd get. Lipinski had been good the last couple, but was VFL not long ago.

Both are easily best 22, and as stated, you need more than 22 to contend. Agree with this. If Libber and Wallis are ranked in the 16 - 22 category on our list then we aren't doing to badly. As we found in 2016 we had 22 who could do a role and few super stars.

Jeanette54
05-07-2019, 11:03 AM
To be honest I don't even understand where this thread is coming from. IMHO we field a much better side with these two in it. Just as we did when their fathers played.

bornadog
23-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Wallis wants to be part of what the Bulldogs are building (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-wallis-wants-to-be-part-of-what-the-bulldogs-are-building-20200222-p543as.html)

It was just one half of football but it was enough to put a smile on the face of respected Western Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis post-game, as he set himself for a big month ahead striving to win a spot in round one.

The 27-year-old was forced to watch on from the sidelines since round 10 last season when bone stress in his ankle led to surgery.

In that time the Bulldogs clicked, winning eight of their last 12 home-and-away matches to reach the finals, only to be dispatched in the elimination final by a fierce and physical Giants.

Wallis enjoyed watching that evolution and he wants to be a part of the push towards the finals in 2020 having missed the 2016 flag with a broken leg.

The unlucky mop-haired father-son selection has only played one final in his 133-game career.

‘‘They played pretty good footy in the back-end of the year so I just have to find my way,’’ Wallis said.

‘‘I am determined to find my spot.’’

On Friday night that spot was inside the forward 50 where he laid four tackles, won five contested possessions and kicked a goal.

In time his position could be the midfield with an intra-club next week and then the second game of the Marsh Community Series likely to give him chances to show his wares.

The good news is that Wallis’ body feels as sound as a bell as he learns how best to prepare to be consistent over the season.

‘‘I feel like I am as strong and fit as I have ever been but my goal is to temper that excitement,’’ Wallis said.

‘‘I am a bit of an over-trainer so with a bit more of a mature head on my shoulders I now take my time with things and not go over the top. ‘‘It is about pacing things,’’ he said.

Despite some unfortunately-timed injuries he has been on the park more often than not, averaging close to 16 games a season over the past eight years.

His return would be a real asset for the Bulldogs who seem strong heading into the 2020 season, despite a few niggling injuries cropping up to key players in recent weeks such as premiership captain Easton Wood (hamstring) and high-flying forward Aaron Naughton (knee).

The progress of the team is a topic Wallis prefers as he talks about the big picture with genuine enthusiasm.

‘‘We are really maturing as a group. Obviously our leaders are playing really elite footy but then the players who are playing in the bottom half are really holding their own,’’ Wallis said.

‘‘We have a really good spine going and our high defenders are working well together and obviously our midfielders are elite and our forward line is shaping up.’’

That is a pretty picture to paint so it is no wonder Wallis is going to fight hard to be part of the line-up with Friday night a positive first step in that direction.

‘‘It’s been a long time ... so to run out in the colours and be around the boys and have a good win, in the end, it was good to be amongst it,’’ Wallis said.

GVGjr
23-02-2020, 04:08 PM
He's a player I've always respected. Right from day one he comes to work as hard as he can.
He has some limitations and with an emerging list I feel he needs some luck to hold down a regular spot.
Staying injury free is essential for him but he is a great club man and leader

bornadog
23-02-2020, 07:38 PM
We need Mitch's toughness and experience in the forward line and can help in the midfield during rotations for Dunks, Bont etc. He gives 120% every time he plays and makes up for his lack of pace through sheer determination.

westbulldog
24-02-2020, 01:00 AM
I would think the GWS mauling would not happen with Libba and Wallis in the team.

AshMac
24-02-2020, 08:59 AM
Agree with others - he is clearly a club leader and outstanding personality to have in such a young team. I don’t see him fitting in as an inside mid - his preferred position - though would love to see him as a permanent forward.

GVGjr
26-02-2020, 10:19 AM
I keep having a look at where both Liberatore and Wallis best fit in and it could easily be a struggle for them if their form isn't close to 100%

Wallis is probably better suited to coming off the bench and up forward with the occasional run in the middle. Liberatore could also be used in the same positions so I wonder if the two of them are pitted against each other
I could imagine Liberatore being a problem for defenders as he would keep them accountable and niggle them at every chance

BornInDroopSt'54
01-03-2020, 01:21 PM
Looks to me like Wallis will keep Weightman out of a round one debut. His form in yesterday's intraclub telling. His on field leadership v novice Cody seems critical.

bulldogtragic
01-03-2020, 01:48 PM
Looks to me like Wallis will keep Weightman out of a round one debut. His form in yesterday's intraclub telling. His on field leadership v novice Cody seems critical.

Surely keeps Dicko out too. I wonder if Wally has changed his thinking about 'having to be a midfielder' (what Essendon, Brisbane & GCS were promising him) to 'maybe I'm a decent mid sized forward that can take a run in the guts'?

Twodogs
01-03-2020, 07:38 PM
Surely keeps Dicko out too. I wonder if Wally has changed his thinking about 'having to be a midfielder' (what Essendon, Brisbane & GCS were promising him) to 'maybe I'm a decent mid sized forward that can take a run in the guts'?

Hopefully he is thinking that "I really, really want a premiership medallion like Libba has and now that I have seen up close what it takes I am going to do everything I can to get one"

BornInDroopSt'54
01-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Weightman can't marry Zaine. Cody Cordy is awkward.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Great to see the scoreboard impact for Wally yesterday.

If he plays primarily as a forward, do we think he'll get to 30+ goals and is that a pass mark? I know goals aren't the only measure but I'm very unsure of what our expectations should be.

ratsmac
02-03-2020, 12:37 AM
For me I can't see Wally being a full time mid anymore and going by the practice matches so does the coach. He's still great at the coal face but to slow and gets burned on the spread to often. I thought he would of made a good halfback player in the mould of Matty Boyd. We just don't have a spot for him down back so its forward or bust for Mitch. I agree with other posters that his position is forward with maybe 5 minutes a quarter through the middle just to give others a rest. I think Dickson, Weightman, Green, Cavarra, Gowers, maybe West at this point in his career and are all competing for the one spot. You can throw Wallis into that list as well. I think Lloyd and Dale have secured their spot in the forward line with the 3 talls Bruce Naughton and Schache. If the 3 talls isn't working then another spot opens.

Libba still has a spot in the midfield IMO so long as his fitness is up to scratch. He brings a toughness to our team that we lack. He can also get in the heads of his opponent but more than that he is a bloody good footballer. I would like to see Libba take Bailey Smith under his wing and they can antagonise the opposition together. Libba could also be a shutdown player too and should be employed when someone is getting hold of us even though tagging doesn't seem to be in Bevo's game plan but it should be IMO. Libba was a key part of the success of this teams era and I think he makes us a better team when he's in it.

westbulldog
02-03-2020, 02:05 PM
I agree with Wallis forward with the occasional minutes in the middle. IMO he is well ahead of all those mentioned competing for a spot and is an on field leader which none of the others are.

Bulldog4life
02-03-2020, 02:22 PM
I agree with Wallis forward with the occasional minutes in the middle. IMO he is well ahead of all those mentioned competing for a spot and is an on field leader which none of the others are.

Agree and an accurate kick for goal too.

Twodogs
02-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Weightman can't marry Zaine. Cody Cordy is awkward.

Two of the girls in Freo's (at least I think it's Freo) AFLW team tied the knot. One took the other's surname and the club cracked the shits because they had already done all the memorabilia in her maiden name.

At school we had an art teacher called Mrs (no Ms back then) Partos. Mrs Partos was a bit out there and her tow kids were called Moonbase (after Frank Zappa's kids I guess) and Zero (that must have done wonders for his self confidence).

Anyway we also had a teacher called Bruce Nunn. I can't remember what he taught, he just seemed to wander the school grounds and hang around the staff room. So one day on his travels he dropped into our class out of the blue and announced out of nowhere. "I was just thinking Mrs Partos. If we got married then one of our kids would be called Zero Nunn!" and turned around and walked out of the classroom. We all just looked at each other.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-03-2020, 10:35 PM
Libba still has a spot in the midfield IMO so long as his fitness is up to scratch. He brings a toughness to our team that we lack. He can also get in the heads of his opponent but more than that he is a bloody good footballer. I would like to see Libba take Bailey Smith under his wing and they can antagonise the opposition together. Libba could also be a shutdown player too and should be employed when someone is getting hold of us even though tagging doesn't seem to be in Bevo's game plan but it should be IMO. Libba was a key part of the success of this teams era and I think he makes us a better team when he's in it.

100% agree. Libba is a jet and he (if fit and focused) can play big midfield minutes. His strength around the cold face is invaluable he positions others, blocks and most importantly frees up and feeds the likes of Bont and Maccrae. He has a seasoned body so can take punishment and in part protects the likes of Smith and Lippa.

In my team a fit Libba would be second picked every week behind the Bont. It’s all down to how he is between the ears.

AndrewP6
11-03-2020, 06:21 PM
100% agree. Libba is a jet and he (if fit and focused) can play big midfield minutes. His strength around the cold face is invaluable he positions others, blocks and most importantly frees up and feeds the likes of Bont and Maccrae. He has a seasoned body so can take punishment and in part protects the likes of Smith and Lippa.

In my team a fit Libba would be second picked every week behind the Bont. It’s all down to how he is between the ears.

And in the knees.