PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Hayden Crozier - 100 Games

bornadog
04-07-2019, 02:24 PM
30 games at the Bulldogs, but has made a real impact on the ground. An important member of our defense is quickly becoming one of my favorites with his high marking and booming left foot.

Well done Hayden, keep it going.

Mofra
04-07-2019, 02:24 PM
His highlights in 30 games would be spectacular. Very good pick-up for us.

merantau
04-07-2019, 02:36 PM
I have eaten humble pie every week since he played about game 10. I am ashamed to say I posted that “he wasn’t much chop”or words to that effect. He has been terrific for quite a while now. I am happy he has proved me wrong. Excellent player.

KT31
04-07-2019, 03:57 PM
Congrats, been an excellent pick up for us.

Bulldog4life
04-07-2019, 04:52 PM
One of those players that when he is going for the ball you feel confident he will get it or halve it. A great interceptor too.

Eastdog
04-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Well done Hayden! He has been a great acquisition for our team. Went to a school near my old school but about 4 year behind me.

ratsmac
04-07-2019, 08:52 PM
What a great player he has become. Very underrated and he just goes about his business. Was a bit shaky when he came over but has been more than just a decent player for us. Good times ahead I have no doubt.

Congrats on the hundy!!

josie
04-07-2019, 10:22 PM
Congrats Crozier. Been great for us. Looking forward to a few big speccies and some mighty high jumps and ball punches. Extremely athletic and a great mark. Love the way he backs himself in a contest.

1eyedog
04-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Quickly becoming my favourite player to watch.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2019, 10:33 PM
He was picked up with a third rounder 12 months after a flag, and is to me our best defender in just 30 games since then. Which is a great effort. Quick, hard, covers heaps of ground, great in the air, tackles too. In a time where we need players to ‘act’, ‘lead’ & ‘do’ by example and not just talk or rely on past reputations, I’m stoked he’s doing it so consistently.

boydogs
04-07-2019, 11:03 PM
Love his closing speed, very valuable player

anfo27
04-07-2019, 11:27 PM
What a great pick up! First 10 games we were all saying 'what a spud!', but since he's felt comfortable in the team & he's gained confidence he's turned into an awesome player & one of the first picked every week. Tip my cap to the recruiting team for seeing something there.

Sneaky chance to make the AA squad of 40?

AshMac
05-07-2019, 09:17 AM
Took a little while to settle into playing in our backline but hasn’t taken a backward step since midway through last year.

Has become an outstanding player for us and a crucial part of our backline.

Those early marks last week helped set the tone for match.

Smads57
05-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Well done 'H' - he is one of the regular AFL players to attend VFL games to encourage the players in the 'twos'

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-07-2019, 09:54 PM
I can see Crozier stepping into a leadership role in the future. He has bought into the club in a big way, evidenced not only in his onfield deneanour, but also by his offseason training trip overseas with Bont & Dunks to the USA.
I've rapidly turned 180 degrees from my original assessment of his sogning. I thought he was an average acquisition; he's proven instead to be a very astute targeted get by the club.
Look forward to him notching up a further 100 games with us. Well done Hayden, and well done Bulldogs recruiters.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2019, 10:46 AM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-defender-hayden-crozier-moved-back-to-melbourne-to-move-down-back-and-it-has-worked/news-story/b46a16f09d82cd6e4d09f9adb7dbfb81

Western Bulldogs defender Hayden Crozier moved back to Melbourne to move down back and it has worked

Hayden Crozier had been at the Dockers for five minutes when Ross Lyon tore strips off him at training and sent everyone on a 400 metre sprint around Fremantle Oval.
The 2011 first round draft pick had leapt onto the back of key defender Zac Dawson and almost hauled in a mark for the ages, but it was against the training rules the Fremantle coach had clearly outlined ahead of the session.

Some who were present that day still remember the vicious bake and the death stare from the boss and chuckle at the memory.

Fast forward eight years and Crozier is still launching into the sky — he took one of the best marks of 2019 against Collingwood in Round 4 — although now he is wearing red, white and blue instead of purple.

After playing 69 games in his first six years at the Dockers, Crozier made the decision to move back to Victoria at the end of 2017 in search of more time down back.

That’s where he had played the best football of his career in 2016 — before being moved back to half forward the following year — and that’s where he has played on a permanent basis since arriving at the kennel 18 months ago.

On the eve of his 100th game against Geelong at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, the 25-year-old recalls the moment he walked out of the house of then list manager Jason McCartney after meeting him and Luke Beveridge and knew he had to pack up his life in Perth to take his career to the next level.

“My last two years at Freo I played the majority of both seasons, but I just felt like I needed a change to rejuvenate my career a little bit,” Crozier told foxsports.com.au.

“When I met with the Dogs I was blown away with what they had to offer and how they were speaking about the club and the culture.

hat time, Bob Murphy and Matty Boyd were retiring so there were two guys in defence who had been stalwarts at the club for a long time who were leaving. I think for that point of my career it was the perfect timing for me.

“I walked out of Jason McCartney’s house and called my manager straight away and said it is probably time for me to move clubs.

“I loved living in Perth and loved the footy club; the only reason for me moving back was career based; it was nothing about missing home or being homesick.

“I think the role I was playing for most of my time at Freo, that high half forward role is one of the hardest positions in footy, so I think moving back since I’ve got here has suited my attributes really well. Having that ability to play high and deeper as well probably suits my game as well being able to come off aerially and on the ground as well.”

Western Bulldogs senior assistant coach Steven King arrived at Whitten Oval a month before Crozier was drafted by Fremantle and remembers watching vision of the skinny teenager from Rowville taking a massive screamer during the national championships.

What he didn’t realise before Crozier arrived at the kennel was how courageous the athletic Victorian is, particularly in the air.

“I remember Hayden getting drafted when I first started here and he was in that mix when we recruited Clay Smith. I remember watching his highlight tape as that Vic Metro high flying half forward who could sit on people’s heads,” King recalled this week.

“His first contest last week against Port Adelaide where he ran across the line of Charlie Dixon and took an intercept mark in the wet set the tone for the night. He doesn’t seem imposing physically, but when the ball is in the air his courage is right up there across the competition.”

Crozier laid the foundations for 2019 on foreign soil, spending most of his break in the United States for the fifth straight off-season, this time travelling with Marcus Bontempelli and Josh Dunkley.

The trio trained at the University of California, Los Angeles, at the University of Texas and at the famous Gleason’s Boxing Gym in Brooklyn, and are about to plan a similar trip for this October.

“We all love our American sport and love the country, so we decided to go back over and not do an official training camp as such, but get ourselves in good nick,” he said.

“We were disappointed with how we finished as a team last year and we really wanted to drive the club forward. We all came back and were running PB times and were the fittest we have ever been.”

As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Testekill
08-07-2019, 11:56 AM
And you wonder why players hate playing for Lyon.

Twodogs
08-07-2019, 12:01 PM

I have never wondered that. The only thing I ever wonder about Ross Lyon is if he regrets leaving Luke Ball on the bench for the entirety of the last quarter in the 2010 Grand Final? If he can see past his arrogance and think WTF did I do that for? They would have won the premiership and not had to go through a replay. Lyon must have been in the best position to know that his payers had one match in their legs and they would get slaughtered in a replay. If he didn't then he is as shit a coach and leader as I think he is.

Ghost Dog
08-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Hayden is a great player to watch and hard at it. Has a mighty spring in his step.
As an aside, "That high half forward role is one of the hardest positions in footy" couldn't agree more. Go Lloyd.

azabob
08-07-2019, 01:39 PM

The saints boys love him though. Fine line I reckon.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2019, 11:28 PM
How *!*!*!*!ing good is he becoming?

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 11:31 PM
How *!*!*!*!ing good is he becoming?

Could be top 3 in our B&F

bulldogtragic
10-08-2019, 11:37 PM
Could be top 3 in our B&F

And at least going back to back for most courageous. Hard to get most improved over Dunkley. He's like the 2015-2016 Easton Wood, with a more penetrating kick (not a slight on Wood). And a bonus we got him for bugger all.

comrade
10-08-2019, 11:41 PM
And at least going back to back for most courageous. Hard to get most improved over Dunkley. He's like the 2015-2016 Easton Wood, with a more penetrating kick (not a slight on Wood). And a bonus we got him for bugger all.

His footy IQ is high, rarely makes poor decisions.

One of our best trades in a long time.

GVGjr
10-08-2019, 11:42 PM
He's won over many doubters with his consistency and energy. His kicking is typically very good and he always looks likely to take that screamer

jeemak
11-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Lots of people eating roast words for dinner because of him.

He's a jet, Just does everything well.

Dancin' Douggy
11-08-2019, 12:00 PM
I would say he's one of the most underrated players in the entire competition.
Plucking players like him is beautiful, perfect recruiting.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 12:01 PM
I love the way Hayden plays. Booming kicks, high marks and those important spoils. A great pick up.

azabob
11-08-2019, 12:02 PM
We should try him as an inside mid pre season.

Twodogs
11-08-2019, 12:04 PM
We should try him as an inside mid pre season.

There's an idea! We can never have enough inside mids. And if it doesn't work we can play him on a HFF!!!!

GVGjr
11-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Lots of people eating roast words for dinner because of him.

He's a jet, Just does everything well.

There was a bit of confusion when he arrived about what position he would play and it did take him a while to settle in but he's been a great acquisition for us. As you say he does a lot of things very well.

One other thing I've noticed that when both he and Duryea come back on from the IC bench they typically seem to convey messages from the coaches box. We probably should note that they step in for the runners as well :)

Happy Days
11-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Remember when we didn't draft him because he was "too flighty"? Not that we necessarily made the wrong choice, but could we have been more wrong in that particular assessment?

His skills are as sharp as advertised but you'd be hard pressed to find a player more courageous.

Twodogs
11-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Remember when we didn't draft him because he was "too flighty"? Not that we necessarily made the wrong choice, but could we have been more wrong in that particular assessment?

His skills are as sharp as advertised but you'd be hard pressed to find a player more courageous.

Yeah 'too flighty' is code for not putting your head over the footy when it's your turn to go but I've never seen Crozier even hesitate.

bornadog
28-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Playing his 50th in the RWB tonight.

Eastdog
28-08-2020, 05:26 PM
Playing his 50th in the RWB tonight.

It has gone quick! Congrats to Hayden. Been an excellent player for us since arriving at the club. A key player in our half back line.

ratsmac
28-08-2020, 05:35 PM
I remember how ordinary he looked when he first arrived. Now we are worse when he isn't playing.

Hopefully Bruce follows Crozier's lead

Eastdog
28-08-2020, 05:36 PM
I remember how ordinary he looked when he first arrived. Now we are worse when he isn't playing.

Hopefully Bruce follows Crozier's lead

Yep was a slow start initially for him when he arrived but then just really improved the more games he played.