PDA

View Full Version : Three things you have learned R16 V Geelong

Twodogs
05-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Okelydokely people, how about you tell us three things that you know now that you didn't know before the game.

GVGjr
06-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
06-07-2019, 11:00 PM
1. I guess don't write us off. Port at Port. Geelong the week after with heavy legs and sore bodies.
2. McLean should never be dropped again.
3. The Naughton/Schache combo is bearing fruit. 10 goals combined in 3 weeks. Both work hard together, and either one gets off the chain while Lloyd and others work around them.

Twodogs
06-07-2019, 11:05 PM
1. We can kick goals under pressure
2. This team/playing group has a bit of *!*!*!*! about it.
3. I *!*!*!*!ing love beating Geelong.

westdog54
06-07-2019, 11:10 PM
Our get-out kicks at CHB are becoming ridiculously good. McLean and JJ both had absolute rippers in the last.

Speaking of McLean, whatever Bevo wanted to achieve, he clearly did. Beast awakened.

We're starting to win the 'big moments' that win football games.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2019, 11:17 PM
1. We outworked Dangersellablett. That's unbelievable and didn't think it would be possible for such long periods of the game.
2. To show a highlights reeel of our clangers would surprise anyone that we won that game.
3. Geelong's air dominance didn't pay off because they think they are too cool for f*** school. They don't want the streetfight our boys brought to them.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-07-2019, 11:18 PM
Maclean back in his rightful position was a stand out.
The class of Naughton shone brightly tonight
The ability to outplay the Cats in the midfield was a key factor in the great win

Vred
06-07-2019, 11:21 PM
1. Maclean is as good as the rest of them
2. Naughton / Scha are gonna be a real powerful combo in the coming years
3. We knocked off GEEEEEEEEEELONG

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2019, 11:54 PM
1. How good can we be once we learn to not sit on our balls....???
2. Our coach, really still has this group. We've dropped or held back in the two's a number of players, and they've all responded. Lippa had to relearn his craft in a new inside-ish role, Trengove had to bid his time, Richards, Schache too.... and Maclean.....
Maclean. boy did he get his Mojo back tonight when it REALLY mattered.
3. Naughton....yep Kolo...( a series of consontents and vowels) was out of the game early...but bloody hell. We would've been a hot mess up front without his influence. STAR!

1eyedog
06-07-2019, 11:58 PM
1. If we get our shit together we'll be pure evil.
2. Bailey Williams just starting to become more pronounced.
3. The disappointment on Dahlhaus' face at the end of the game brought me a significant amount of joy.

westdog54
07-07-2019, 12:04 AM
3. The disappointment on Dahlhaus' face at the end of the game brought me a significant amount of joy.

I'd love to know what Jack Madras whispered in his ear after Luke got that dodgy free in the 3rd.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-07-2019, 12:07 AM

Just on that....what does he/we(club) need to do to extend his contract. Is it more in his or the club's lane to decide?

GVGjr
07-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Just on that....what does he/we(club) need to do to extend his contract. Is it more in his or the club's lane to decide?

2 weeks ago there had been no discussions regarding a contract. I'd like us to be a bit more proactive because he's talented enough

westbulldog
07-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Naughton will kick 10 one day.
Trengove should be prohibited from short passing on the backline.
The look on Scotts face is remarkably similar to that of Ross Lyon and Don Pyke.

Happy Days
07-07-2019, 12:49 AM
1. Saturday night games start at 7:25, not 7:40 - sounds like I only missed the rubbish parts though.

2. Schache has gained some mental toughness over the course of the year. A quiet start against Collingwood saw him drop his bundle; tonight he kept at it and won some crucial clearances in the last quarter. A pretty dirty day but he can be proud of himself regardless.

3. Bont's gonna win the Brownlow. Dogs are gonna win the flag. How good is footy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-07-2019, 01:02 AM
1. Saturday night games start at 7:25, not 7:40 - sounds like I only missed the rubbish parts though.

2. Schache has gained some mental toughness over the course of the year. A quiet start against Collingwood saw him drop his bundle; tonight he kept at it and won some crucial clearances in the last quarter. A pretty dirty day but he can be proud of himself regardless.

3. Bont's gonna win the Brownlow. Dogs are gonna win the flag. How good is footy.

I was very dirty on Schache for most of the game. He earned his stripes tonight in persistence, and adhering to the mantra of 'if you can't own the game, own the moment. His 4th Qtr was not huge stats wise, but he got involved.

bornadog
07-07-2019, 01:21 AM
1. We have a top midfield that is under rated by so called experts
2. Bevo is still a genius
3. We can Match it with the best

Doc26
07-07-2019, 02:14 AM
1. Geelong would be better served staying focussed and learning how to win games away from their nest rather than continually being distracted by pushing so many self serving off-field agendas.

2. One can’t tire of beating the Cats.

3. Toby cares a lot.

anfo27
07-07-2019, 10:29 AM
1. Schache keeps surprising me. Wasn't a great night for him but he still gave a contest. in the past he was like a witches hat on a night like this but tonight he kept fighting so i'm proud of his game.

2. Pat Lipinski is a special talent. I thought the kid was good but gee he impressed me again last night. His inside work against Selwood & Danger in the last in particular was special. We nailed this pick!

3. Bailey Smith is a ripper. I love this kid! i really enjoyed him giving it to Selwood after that goal. I hate Geelong!

The Doctor
07-07-2019, 11:02 AM
1. Have known it for years but FIGJAM Dangerfield always goes awol when the heat is on
2. Must keep the Naughton/Schache combo together. It will be hard for opposition defences to stop both.
3. Suddenly we have some depth with Libba, Daniel, Wallis, Morris, Gowers currently out of the team

Twodogs
07-07-2019, 12:02 PM
1. Have known it for years but FIGJAM Dangerfield always goes awol when the heat is on
2. Must keep the Naughton/Schache combo together. It will be hard for opposition defences to stop both.
3. Suddenly we have some depth with Libba, Daniel, Wallis, Morris, Gowers currently out of the team

Ive always thought that Dangerfield picks and chooses his effort. He runs when he thinks he will be rewarded for it otherwise he will just stand and watch, he might yell out to a teammate to do the hard yards or point out an opponent he thinks should be covered but he certainly won't run defensively to cover that player himself.

Ozza
07-07-2019, 12:48 PM
1. We could still play finals....and its very frustrating that we wasted a chunk of the season with some questionable selection, strategy and goal kicking that has cost us the chance to have a real crack this season.

2. Playing Naughton and Schache together....it doesn't matter who kicks them - but playing both means there is a good chance one of them will hit the scoreboard (Schache last two weeks, Naught last night). They are developing a partnership and not getting in each others way too much.

3. We have traded really well. Crozier, Lloyd, Schache all great pick ups without a huge cost. And Suckling and Duryea being brought in have been pretty solid additions.

Mofra
07-07-2019, 02:56 PM
1. Naughton can do it all. In the air, one on one and on the deck. Freak

2. Bailey Smith is one of the physically strongest 18 year olds I can remember. He's incredible

3. Sam Lloyd shows the value in identifying the right opposition fringe player. What an astute pick up.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2019, 03:45 PM
What do people think about our side without Daniel?
I felt his precision could have helped in the first 3, when we just could not get it in their half.
On the other hand, he would have been monstered by Geelong's forward line.
Tough call but feels like were are better with him out V Geelong, Eagles, Collingwood type outfits.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Lloyd is a steadying influence in an otherwise very young forward line.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2019, 04:23 PM
1. We are on a roll. Bring on the Deeeees.

2. You have still got it Bevo

3. The future looks very bright.

Happy Days
07-07-2019, 05:48 PM
What do people think about our side without Daniel?
I felt his precision could have helped in the first 3, when we just could not get it in their half.
On the other hand, he would have been monstered by Geelong's forward line.
Tough call but feels like were are better with him out V Geelong, Eagles, Collingwood type outfits.

Hard disagree - there’s no evidence short of two one-on-one contests from round 2 that Caleb is a liability in the air, and in fact his ability to time spoils makes him quite the opposite. That’s before you even consider everything he gives us by foot. He’s easily best 22 and this season has been no worse than top 5.

jeemak
07-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Hard disagree - there’s no evidence short of two one-on-one contests from round 2 that Caleb is a liability in the air, and in fact his ability to time spoils makes him quite the opposite. That’s before you even consider everything he gives us by foot. He’s easily best 22 and this season has been no worse than top 5.

Happy Days speaks for jeemak on this issue.

Mofra
08-07-2019, 10:04 AM
We really struggled to get the ball out of their forward press for the first three quarters, we took a while to adjust to life without him.

Ozza
08-07-2019, 04:10 PM

Too add to this...the times where people are saying Caleb is getting "caught out" or "exposed" against taller opponents - is really just that he has been the one able to get back to the goal square because of his great aerobic capacity. If Caleb wasn't out there on those occasions - the opposition player would be on their own in the square rather than having Caleb trying to spoil.

On a different, but related, note. Its been good to see in the last couple of weeks, our defenders being a fraction more conservative in their positioning in recent weeks. We have defended poorly this season, and perhaps these adjustments were a case of the coaches and players acknowledging we needed to address this.

hujsh
08-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Too add to this...the times where people are saying Caleb is getting "caught out" or "exposed" against taller opponents - is really just that he has been the one able to get back to the goal square because of his great aerobic capacity. If Caleb wasn't out there on those occasions - the opposition player would be on their own in the square rather than having Caleb trying to spoil.

On a different, but related, note. Its been good to see in the last couple of weeks, our defenders being a fraction more conservative in their positioning in recent weeks. We have defended poorly this season, and perhaps these adjustments were a case of the coaches and players acknowledging we needed to address this.
I believe I read the observation on here that our press is not as high in recent weeks as it had been which likely relates to your last point

AshMac
08-07-2019, 07:39 PM
1. Loving Bailey Smith a little bit more each week. That moment after his goal when he spotted Selwoods jumper and lashed out I love in players - a pure competitor

2. A kick in the ass might be just what Toby Mclean needed - back to his damaging best

3. We match up really well with the cats. I don’t think we’ll make finals but if we do we’ll scare the s*** out of whoever we play

ratsmac
09-07-2019, 07:59 PM
1. We have left our run to the finals too late.....I think.
2. If last week's win against Port gave the boys belief, this week confirmed it.
3. Bailey Smith's front and centre snap made something move!