PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors, 2019, Rnd 16 vs Geelong

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-07-2019, 10:42 PM
This is the round 16, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Geelongis concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2019, 10:57 PM
B

McLeans tackle with a minute to go.
Schache's collect under his knees in the third.
Lloyd. For a fourth rounder. Highway robbery for us. (15 games: 25.18 and 8 goal assists)
Bailey Beast. Amazing goal under pressure.

A

Trengove turnovers. So bad. So very, very bad.
Hunter's miss in the fourth. Could of sealed it.
McInerney still being around.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-07-2019, 12:06 AM
B

Lloyd. For a fourth rounder. Highway robbery for us. (15 games: 25.18 and 8 goal assists)

A

So predictable
And woeful grammatical error.....Could've
Please stick to your lane... Trade and Draft "Oracle" :D

westbulldog
07-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Bankers
McLean's inclusion.
Midfield Bont, Macrae, Dunkley
Williams, doing some good things.

Anchors
Smith, unsighted
Trengove, turnovers.

The bulldog tragician
07-07-2019, 12:54 AM
B

A

And we gave the guy a guard of honour #neverforget2009 :mad:

G-Mo77
07-07-2019, 12:56 AM

Here I was thinking I was alone thinking that. By all means line up to throw eggs at him but not a guard of honour.

bornadog
07-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Bankers

1. The midfield beat the so called best in the AFL
2. Naughton's marking power
3. Lloyd's sealer

Anchors

1. First half dinky kicks to the opposition
2. Roarke Smith - sorry 4 disposals doesn't cut it
3. Trengove, what the hell were you doing with a minute to go

bulldogtragic
07-07-2019, 01:11 AM

‘Don’t touch him Brian.... he didn’t dive. I warned you’

But I’m not as filthy as the Hargrave free which started them off. Minor point, it can’t be holding the ball if the ball is 30m away having been kicked.

I wouldn’t have been upset for us not to do it. Even if we copped flack for not doing it, still worth it. But I’m glad he got a special night 10 years after ruining all of our then hopes & dreams with his incompetence.

Ozza
07-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Bankers

McLean - huge return. So impactful and clean throughout - how about that kick across the ground to Lloyd!?
Lloyd & Crozier - what great acquisitions. We have really done well with acquiring fringe players from other clubs and turning them into essential role players.
Bontempelli - such a treat to go to the footy and have one of your own be as good as any in the league. Giving myself a 'banker' for backing him at 20-1 for the brownlow. Have him polling in minimum 8 games/maximum 12 games of 15 so far.

Anchors:
Trengove had a couple of good moments - but a few horror moments that we couldn't afford in a low scoring game. Kicks the ball too low, and needs to stop confusing his ambition with his ability when it comes to kicking the ball.
Roarke was very quiet after a PB last week. Probably expected for a young player.
Suckling - 2 'down' games in a row. Not sure we have his role quite right at the moment, but whatever works for the whole team.

azabob
07-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Bankers

McLean - huge return. So impactful and clean throughout - how about that kick across the ground to Lloyd!?
Lloyd & Crozier - what great acquisitions. We have really done well with acquiring fringe players from other clubs and turning them into essential role players.
Bontempelli - such a treat to go to the footy and have one of your own be as good as any in the league. Giving myself a 'banker' for backing him at 20-1 for the brownlow. Have him polling in minimum 8 games/maximum 12 games of 15 so far.

Anchors:
Trengove had a couple of good moments - but a few horror moments that we couldn't afford in a low scoring game. Kicks the ball too low, and needs to stop confusing his ambition with his ability when it comes to kicking the ball.
Roarke was very quiet after a PB last week. Probably expected for a young player.
Suckling - 2 'down' games in a row. Not sure we have his role quite right at the moment, but whatever works for the whole team.

And then Lloyds kick to Naughton (?) in the same passage of play. McLean also did another huge kick in the last. He certainly impacted the game as the coaches asked.

Max469
07-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Bankers

Fingers crossed. I got him at 29.00 so it would be nice to collect a lazy 580.00

Eastdog
07-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Bankers
McLean's inclusion.
Midfield Bont, Macrae, Dunkley
Williams, doing some good things.

Anchors
Smith, unsighted
Trengove, turnovers.

Bailey certainly was sighted :)

SonofScray
07-07-2019, 03:19 PM
B1 Baz goal to really stamp ourselves on the scoreboard
B2 Naughton 4.1, really promising result.
B3 McLean x 3 efforts late. One for the Bont goal, two tackles after that.

A1 Trengove just biting off more than he can chew with his kicking. Doing well as the big defender and gathering in straight lines, has some tricks, but caressing the footy 20m isn't one of them.

A2 Missed opportunities in the 1st after a few GFC mistakes. Think we flattered them a bit early on.

A Hunter missed a soda late which would have franked his excellent form across the last qtr. Was on his correct side, he needs to nail them.

westbulldog
07-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Bailey certainly was sighted :)

touche - Roarke

Eastdog
07-07-2019, 08:42 PM
touche - Roarke

Yeah Rorake not as good this week had a very good game last week.

ratsmac
09-07-2019, 02:59 AM
Bankers

1. Naughton- it's so nice to be the team who has the dominant forward for the day. If he kicked better he could of had a few more too. Geelong are no slouch when it comes to quality tall defenders so it was quite an achievement to play like he did.

2. Our midfield group- when they get it right we have a very very good and strong midfield. With English still cutting his teeth in the ruck, our boys have to rove off the opposing ruckman and we win the clearance's more often than not. They were super on the weekend lead by the Bont.

3. Wood- some of his 3rd man up work was great. This is how we need him to be playing. Trengove was not strong enough to wrestle Hawkins one on one so he was depending on the 3rd man up. Well done Easton!

Anchors

1. Forwards not getting the ball to ground enough. Whether it was bad kicking or bad decisions, Geelong picked off our good forward entries too often. It was often smart defensive blocks on our forwards and were easily out marked. We needed a better contest to get the ball to ground more.

2. Turn overs in the backline. We were lucky not to get more goals against with some untidy kicking coming out of defense.

3. Dahlhaus in Geelong colours. I hate seeing our premiership heroes in enemy ranks.