PDA

View Full Version : The moment rnd 17 2019 vs Melbourne

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-07-2019, 08:14 PM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage.'

When Bailey Fritsch played on....and missed. That was the moment for me... he nails that, and it's a different game and we're under immense pressure.

bornadog
14-07-2019, 08:17 PM
When Hunter kicked that ripper goal, that's when I relaxed and thought we had the win

BornInDroopSt'54
14-07-2019, 09:24 PM
That Hunter kick was huge. Why can't he kick more goals, he ha s the skills, with that goal he also had the belief.

Hotdog60
14-07-2019, 09:28 PM
I think its hard to pick 'The Moment' because it was a struggle all game.
If I had to pick one it maybe the move of Trengove into the ruck which nullified Gawn's influence.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2019, 09:45 PM
English multiple marks deep in defence like he was Scott Wynd II to save the day.
Schache small things. Smoother, score involvements, the running pick up off the ground that Brian Taylor and Selwood spent 30 seconds marvelling. Intercept Mark that finally made me relax.
Hunter banana.
Dunkley's run down holding the ball free in the second. Could be the best ever HTB.
Bailey Smith again in the last quarter, two weeks now, nailing last time crucial goals.

Pick any. Or

Throwing the ball over our players head when the ball is meant to returned on the full.
Encroaching over the mark all day.
Over turning a dropped mark by the non officiating umpire making it a mark despite it hitting the ground.

Yet somehow won with that weight around our ankles.

Eastdog
14-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Bailey Smith goal

Ghost Dog
14-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Bont's big tackle on Gawn. Just to let him know who's boss.

Eastdog
14-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Bont's big tackle on Gawn. Just to let him know who's boss.

That was good.

Murphy'sLore
14-07-2019, 10:14 PM
Hunter's banana for me. Then I knew we were safe.

SonofScray
14-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Bailey Smith with another clutch goal.

A few of the crunching tackles defensively were special. Dunkley and Bont's stood out.

ratsmac
14-07-2019, 11:41 PM
Dunkley's tackle on Brayshaw when he was about to shoot for goal was huge.

Hunter's goal from the boundary was when we pretty had it. I knew he was a massive chance to kick it because I've seen footage of him nailing that exact shot at training.

Vred
14-07-2019, 11:43 PM
Bailey Smith goal was the moment I knew.

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 03:08 AM
14.24 to go in the last quarter and the ball is bouncing around on Melbourne's half forward line. Up steps the Bont6 and gathers it smoothly and delivers it with precision. I said to my son "How smooth was that?" and he says "yep, if he mucks that up Melbourne kick a goal and I can't see how we win." (we are watching the replay on FOX")

craigsahibee
15-07-2019, 09:09 AM
That was good.

It was good, but I reckon it fired Gawn up. Big Max really imposed himself on the gme after that tackle.

AshMac
15-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Cant pinpoint a moment where I thought the momentum shifted fully onto our terms - it was a true bulldog style arm wrestle.

My favourite moment of the game was Dunkleys tackle on Brayshaw running into goal. I was at the game and he appeared out of nowhere

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 11:25 AM
It was good, but I reckon it fired Gawn up. Big Max really imposed himself on the gme after that tackle.

It's called ruck craft big boy is my favorite quote of the season.

Happy Days
15-07-2019, 11:28 AM
When the cowardly Bailey Fritsch played on to snap rather than take the easy set shot from 20m out straight in front. They really are afraid of success at Melbourne.

hujsh
15-07-2019, 11:31 AM
It's called ruck craft big boy is my favorite quote of the season.
Not a fan of the blatant disrespect shown to the umpire there. Maybe I’m alone as everyone else seems to think it was great.

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Not a fan of the blatant disrespect shown to the umpire there. Maybe I’m alone as everyone else seems to think it was great.

It all depends on what the umpire said to Gawn in the first place. The umpires have been very chirpy recenty. I'm not a huge fan of Melbourne or Gawn but sometimes you just have to speak up.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Bailey Smith with another clutch goal.

A few of the crunching tackles defensively were special. Dunkley and Bont's stood out.
I read that before he was recruited, Bailey would do all his resistence training and only when he was stuffed would he practise his skills. Good for last quarter when it really counts.

azabob
15-07-2019, 12:02 PM

What was said?

hujsh
15-07-2019, 12:19 PM
What was said?
What Twodogs said. “it’s called ruckcraft big boy.” It’s nothing suspension worthy or blatantly offensive but I think it was disrespectful and perhaps demeaning to talk to the umpire like he’s a child

Rocket Science
15-07-2019, 01:16 PM

Oh dear, really? I'm not a fan of the ham-fisted disrespect shown by the adjudicators and custodians of the game sanctioning utterly appalling decisions like the one that prompted Gawn's - let's be honest - pretty tepid, tongue in cheek retort.

I seldom go the umps, their gig's a tough and thankless one, but found the umpiring yesterday sufficiently and irritatingly intrusive that it was regular distraction from the bloody contest. The routinely baffled look on player's faces whenever the whistle's blown until it's made clear whose free it actually is, speaks volumes.

Gawn fended an opponent off with an open palm to the chest while effecting an overhead tap. If that's verboten now then Bevo truly was ahead of the curve in his efforts to expunge ruckmen from the game.

That's called terrible comedy, big boy.

azabob
15-07-2019, 01:25 PM
What Twodogs said. “it’s called ruckcraft big boy.” It’s nothing suspension worthy or blatantly offensive but I think it was disrespectful and perhaps demeaning to talk to the umpire like he’s a child

Sorry, what was the context? I was at the game but haven’t seen the replay.

hujsh
15-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Oh dear, really? I'm not a fan of the ham-fisted disrespect shown by the adjudicators and custodians of the game sanctioning utterly appalling decisions like the one that prompted Gawn's - let's be honest - pretty tepid, tongue in cheek retort.

I seldom go the umps, their gig's a tough and thankless one, but found the umpiring yesterday sufficiently and irritatingly intrusive that it was regular distraction from the bloody contest. The routinely baffled look on player's faces whenever the whistle's blown until it's made clear whose free it actually is, speaks volumes.

Gawn fended an opponent off with an open palm to the chest while effecting an overhead tap. If that's verboten now then Bevo truly was ahead of the curve in his efforts to expunge ruckmen from the game.

That's called terrible comedy, big boy.

It's not the umpires fault the rules are baffling. I thought his response was more disrespectful than a frank 'that's bullshit'.

Free was paid against Gawn for Dunkley's second goal. When he stuck out his arm. Like all frees in the ruck I have no idea if it was fair or not because I don't know the rules for ruckmen and they never seem consistent or logical.

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Gawn used his hand to fend off Dunkley in the third quarter. As per usual the game came to a complete halt while the umpire sorted out who the free kick was paid to and Gawn was completely shocked that the free was paid against him and asked "why?" The umpire said "You pushed him out of the contest" and Gawn waved his hand about in the air and said "That's just ruck craft big boy" I don't see what the fuss is about personally, if you make a mistake then you need to own it and admit you were wrong. And the umpire made a mistake.

Twodogs
15-07-2019, 01:42 PM
Free was paid against Gawn for Dunkley's second goal. When he stuck out his arm. Like all frees in the ruck I have no idea if it was fair or not because I don't know the rules for ruckmen and they never seem consistent or logical.

They changed the ruck rule back in the early 2000s to stop ruckmen (mainly Luke Darcy) from grabbing the ball out of a ruck contest by deeming that the ruckman had prior opportunity and could be tackled straight away. They changed the rule back to the old method over the off season.

hujsh
15-07-2019, 03:42 PM
They changed the ruck rule back in the early 2000s to stop ruckmen (mainly Luke Darcy) from grabbing the ball out of a ruck contest by deeming that the ruckman had prior opportunity and could be tackled straight away. They changed the rule back to the old method over the off season.
That’s the one aspect of the ruck contest I do understand the rules about. Everything else is a mystery to me.

bornadog
15-07-2019, 03:46 PM
That’s the one aspect of the ruck contest I do understand the rules about. Everything else is a mystery to me.

Me too. How is it they can wrestle each other, and sometimes it is a free and other times play on.

soupman
15-07-2019, 05:32 PM
Me too. How is it they can wrestle each other, and sometimes it is a free and other times play on.

I learnt something today (at least I think it's correct). If a ruckman impedes the jump of the other ruckman it is a free against. Explains a lot of freekicks that have otherwise left me baffled in the past if it is correct.

bornadog
15-07-2019, 05:37 PM
I learnt something today (at least I think it's correct). If a ruckman impedes the jump of the other ruckman it is a free against. Explains a lot of freekicks that have otherwise left me baffled in the past if it is correct.

I don't understand why they are allowed to do this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_ftMFhVAAU77vY.jpg

I would say Grundy does this every single ruck duel around the ground.

jeemak
15-07-2019, 05:41 PM
If both rucks engage in body on body then I think it's considered play on, though if one impedes the other's attempt to jump at the ball then it is a free kick against.

The latter includes blocking a path to the ball by taking the other rucks run without intention to contest the ball itself. I think Gawn was roughly done by because he took the path of his ruck opponent but at the same time had eyes for the ball and intent to actually contest it.

Anyway, that's how I thought the ruck rules were adjudicated. I could be well wrong.

The Pie Man
15-07-2019, 05:45 PM
Dunkley had quite a few moments - and *the* tackle will stand out - but there was a moment in the 3rd where Lipinski pulls one inwards on his left and it put serious heat on Dunks, but he wore the treatment while protecting the ball overhead.

I just thought in the moment that was tough and said to everyone we're playing for keeps. He was immense yesterday.

Agree with the OP - Fritsch missing was huge for our heart rate.

dadsgirl16
15-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Bailey Smith and Lachie Hunter...both got me out my seat

macca
16-07-2019, 03:53 PM
I read that before he was recruited, Bailey would do all his resistence training and only when he was stuffed would he practise his skills. Good for last quarter when it really counts.
Love hearing this kids dedication , his elite in his training

When your body is fatigued , then all things done is based on instinct and what is natural . He knows how to hone his skills when his tired and has condience to execute

Murphy'sLore
16-07-2019, 04:08 PM

Does he still do this, or is he not allowed to any more? If he is still doing it, why don't they all do it?

Mofra
16-07-2019, 05:32 PM
When the cowardly Bailey Fritsch played on to snap rather than take the easy set shot from 20m out straight in front. They really are afraid of success at Melbourne.
Bont did the same thing earlier in the game.

There were a few moments but Dunkey's tackle, Bont's tackle were up there.

I actually have to add one not yet mentioned - Sam Lloyd's first goal. Very smart to somehow keep the ball live from the wrong side of the goal post then sneak around to put it through.

Happy Days
16-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Bont did the same thing earlier in the game.

There were a few moments but Dunkey's tackle, Bont's tackle were up there.

I actually have to add one not yet mentioned - Sam Lloyd's first goal. Very smart to somehow keep the ball live from the wrong side of the goal post then sneak around to put it through.

Bont's got a few more credits in the bank than Bailey "dropped for the prelim" Fritsch I would've thought.