PDA

View Full Version : Allan Richardson Gone

bornadog
16-07-2019, 11:41 AM
What is it with these clubs, as soon as they are about to play us they sack their coach.

Scraggers
16-07-2019, 12:01 PM
What is it with these clubs, as soon as they are about to play us they sack their coach.

Exactly what I was thinking

Mofra
16-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Can't wait for our game against Freo...

Flamethrower
16-07-2019, 12:08 PM
I would be very nervous if I was...

Ross Lyon next week
John Worsfold in 3 weeks.
Leon Cameron in 4 weeks.
Don Pyke in 5 weeks.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2019, 12:33 PM
The media have been working on getting him sacked all year.

Think he has been harshly treated. They were actually competitive at Geelong and have won more games this year than I expected them to manage.

The real issue is their list.

GVGjr
16-07-2019, 12:39 PM
I've never been one to readily accept the injury excuse because it often hides poor management decisions but gee the Saints have been worked over this year with injuries and I'm not sure the coach was the problem.

Tough gig isn't it? I agree with Bulldog Joe that the media has played a significant part with his departure.
I think they've done pretty well all things considered

Ghost Dog
16-07-2019, 12:41 PM
This is Ratten's second time as caretaker. Hope he gets a tilt at the saints gig.

Rocket Science
16-07-2019, 12:43 PM
Ohhh well that's just f*rken perfect isn't it.

And Whately loudly barracking for them to make Bevo their number one target.

Bevo mostly batted away a question about his contract during the post-match presser on Sunday, saying all the right things but with regard to the ongoing talks with the club finished his reply with a curious "but, yeah the (league-wide coaching) landscape has changed a little bit" as if to suggest it might be a factor, speaking very much like bloke that handles his own negotiations.

Piss off Saints.

ratsmac
16-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Gee that's unusual timing, sacking the coach the same week the play the dogs.

I totally agree, he was in the sight of the media all year. When there's nothing to talk about they turn on Richo. His win/loss ratio doesn't help though.

Hands off Bevo you filthy bastards!!

soupman
16-07-2019, 12:52 PM
Ohhh well that's just f*rken perfect isn't it.

And Whately loudly barracking for them to make Bevo their number one target.

Bevo mostly batted away a question about his contract during the post-match presser on Sunday, saying all the right things but with regard to the ongoing talks with the club finished his reply with a curious "but, yeah the (league-wide coaching) landscape has changed a little bit" as if to suggest it might be a factor, speaking very much like bloke that handles his own negotiations.

Piss off Saints.

I think it would be pretty hypocritical of Beveridge to bail out on the club before the end of his contract, have heard of him being somewhat critical of players when he has caught wind they are assessing their options.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2019, 01:01 PM
We need Libba back this week. To get in the ears of their best players, and to seek a trade to us.

azabob
16-07-2019, 01:06 PM
The media have been working on getting him sacked all year.

Think he has been harshly treated. They were actually competitive at Geelong and have won more games this year than I expected them to manage.

The real issue is their list.

The media I listen to and read have actually supported him and asked what more could’ve he done?
The real issue is over six years in charge his record doesn’t cut it.

azabob
16-07-2019, 01:09 PM
We need Libba back this week. To get in the ears of their best players, and to seek a trade to us.

FYI Tom Liberatore is related to their recruiting manager Chris Liberatore.

azabob
16-07-2019, 01:10 PM
I think it would be pretty hypocritical of Beveridge to bail out on the club before the end of his contract, have heard of him being somewhat critical of players when he has caught wind they are assessing their options.

Agree, but Bevo said his loyalty is with the players first and foremost and then the club.

I think we all underestimate or don’t actually know what Beveridges motivations are. He is very much an individual compared to other senior coaches.

Murphy'sLore
16-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Has anyone ever made a study of the dead coach bounce? What's the psychology behind it?

Topdog
16-07-2019, 01:25 PM
I've never been one to readily accept the injury excuse because it often hides poor management decisions but gee the Saints have been worked over this year with injuries and I'm not sure the coach was the problem.

Tough gig isn't it? I agree with Bulldog Joe that the media has played a significant part with his departure.
I think they've done pretty well all things considered

I dont see how he could blame injuries considering they had 4 wins last year.

whythelongface
16-07-2019, 01:26 PM
The media I listen to and read have actually supported him and asked what more could’ve he done?
The real issue is over six years in charge his record doesn’t cut it.

Agree. He has had a lot more time than others to compile a list. The Saints administration has been very patient. If I were a Saints fan I would be seething as to how long the club has taken to come to this decision when it should have happened two to three years prior.

Webby
16-07-2019, 02:04 PM
This seems to happen a lot with close be prior to playing us..

The cat bounce is beginning to bug me..

Rocket Science
16-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Has anyone ever made a study of the dead coach bounce? What's the psychology behind it?

Bugger the psychology. I want the cold hard figures.

What're the W/L stats of sides that've just sacked the cockroach? And how many more do we seriously have to cop?

Twodogs
16-07-2019, 10:07 PM
FYI Tom Liberatore is related to their recruiting manager Chris Liberatore.

Play him then! A Liberatore, any Liberatore will do. Actually Tony still looks pretty fit...

What're the W/L stats of sides that've just sacked the cockroach? And how many more do we seriously have to cop?

I'd be more interested in the W/L record of clubs that sack their coach the week leading into playing us more than the rest of the clubs.

FrediKanoute
16-07-2019, 10:16 PM
Apparently Thomas is saying that the Saints should throw the sink at Bevo.....

WOuld he be tempted do you think or does he have unfinished business with this list?

Bulldog4life
16-07-2019, 10:24 PM
Thomas is an Old St.Bedes boy too. Saying St.Kilda should give Bevo a 10 year contract.

comrade
16-07-2019, 10:33 PM
Thomas is an Old St.Bedes boy too. Sayig St.Kilda should give Bevo a 10 year contract.

10 years for a coach, lol. That would be a St Kilda thing to do.

bornadog
16-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Apparently Thomas is saying that the Saints should throw the sink at Bevo.....

WOuld he be tempted do you think or does he have unfinished business with this list?

Bevo has already said his loyalty is to the players and the club. He has a contract till the end of 2020.

On the other hand, you do the right thing by PG and there are no problems, however, you do the dirty, watch out. PG could easily stop Bevo from coaching by refusing him to join another club till the contract period is up.

I don't believe for one minute Bevo would leave.

Twodogs
16-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Bevo has already said his loyalty is to the players and the club. He has a contract till the end of 2020.

On the other hand, you do the wrong thing by PG and there are no problems, however, you do the dirty, watch out. PG could easily stop Bevo from coaching by refusing him to join another club till the contract period is up.

I don't believe for one minute Bevo would leave.

Do you mean "do the right thing?" Because you've said the same thing twice.

Happy Days
16-07-2019, 11:45 PM
Play him then! A Liberatore, any Liberatore will do. Actually Tony still looks pretty fit...

Have you seen Tom's uncle/Tony's brother Fred? He looks like he could do some serious damage.

Twodogs
17-07-2019, 12:05 AM
Have you seen Tom's uncle/Tony's brother Fred? He looks like he could do some serious damage.

He represented Australia in weightlifting at the Commonwealth games (But not the Olympics I think) a seriously hard looking man. I love a fight but I wouldn't pick him.

Doggy
17-07-2019, 12:17 AM
He represented Australia in weightlifting at the Commonwealth games (But not the Olympics I think) a seriously hard looking man. I love a fight but I wouldn't pick him.

I played school footy against Tony and Fred. Both had full facial hair in Year 9. Fred was huge and scary.

MrMahatma
17-07-2019, 07:03 AM
It’s interesting, I guess, that none of our assistants are considered hopefuls for the 3 jobs going. I mean, 3 vacancies is a big number. Our assistants mustn’t be highly regarded even though many of them (all of them?) presided over a flag.

bornadog
17-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Do you mean "do the right thing?" Because you've said the same thing twice.

Yes, sorry my mistake.

I believe they are twins.

Scraggers
17-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Agree, but Bevo said his loyalty is with the players first and foremost and then the club.

I think we all underestimate or don’t actually know what Beveridges motivations are. He is very much an individual compared to other senior coaches.

He doesn’t have a manager ... negotiates his own contracts. I believe he is the only coach without a manager.

bornadog
17-07-2019, 10:01 AM
He doesn’t have a manager ... negotiates his own contracts. I believe he is the only coach without a manager.

Apparently you want to try and poach him, you have to ring him directly.

I can imagine there would be a few managers not ringing him due to nerves. :D

azabob
17-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Yep. Which makes the whole situation even more interesting. Part of me wouldn’t be surprised if he left at seasons end.

hujsh
18-07-2019, 04:40 PM
David King has called on St.Kilda to be ‘bold’ and chase James Hird as their new coach. God I’m glad we have such responsible media in this country. Bold would certainly be one word for it.

Well whatever keeps them away from Bevo I guess

1eyedog
18-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Bevo has unfinished business with this list he's built. He's a player coach no way he's going to pull the rug out from beneath a whole bunch of kids who love him. He won a Premiership here, how many has he won at St. Kilda? This is his home and they know it too. They'll ask but they'll just get that funny little laugh he does.

Mofra
18-07-2019, 04:55 PM
David King has called on St.Kilda to be ‘bold’ and chase James Hird as their new coach. God I’m glad we have such responsible media in this country. Bold would certainly be one word for it.

If I had to guess I'd say Voss.

Has had a decent apprenticeship now.

Axe Man
18-07-2019, 05:04 PM

WHY THE 'CARETAKER EFFECT' SHOULD NOT WORRY THE BULLDOGS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/07/18/why-the-caretaker-effect-should-not-worry-the-bulldogs/)

The ‘caretaker effect’ has not been overly positive in recent times.

St Kilda head into this weekend’s clash with the Western Bulldogs in a strange yet not unprecedented position.

Following Alan Richardson’s departure on Tuesday, the Saints will take on the Dogs at Marvel Stadium on Sunday with Brett Ratten in the role as caretaker coach.

This particular scenario has fared well for clubs this year but the recent record bodes a bit better for the Dogs than it does the Saints.

In David Teague’s first game in charge of Carlton in Round 12, the Blues defeated top four hopefuls the Brisbane Lions.

A week earlier, North Melbourne made the dream start under Rhyce Shaw when comfortably accounting for Richmond.

In 2019, the caretaker record is 2-0.

However, the history of interim coaches overseeing immediate wins over the past two decades sits at just 45%. The record is 11 wins and 13 losses from 24 matches.

Even more recently, since 2010, there have been 13 games involving a caretaker coach, yielding five wins and eight losses for a 38% winning strike rate.

This does not include when an assistant has stepped in to fill the void when the coach has either been injured, unwell or unavailable.

There could be a perception that clubs with a caretaker coach go out and get the job done first-up but this snapshot will certainly not unsettle Luke Beveridge and the Bulldogs as they look to keep in touch with the top eight by inflicting a fifth straight defeat on the Saints.

Furthermore, Ratten lost his other game as caretaker when he replaced Denis Pagan at Carlton back in 2007.

Caretaker stats (since 2001)
GAMES: 24
WINS: 11
LOSSES: 13
WIN %: 45.8

Caretaker stats (since 2010)
GAMES: 13
WINS: 5
LOSSES: 8
WIN %: 38.5

Caretaker results from 2019 back to 2001

Rhyce Shaw (North Melbourne) - Round 11 - WIN
David Teague (Carlton) - Round 12 - WIN

Dean Solomon (Gold Coast) - Round 21 - LOSS

John Barker (Carlton) - Round 9 - LOSS
Matthew Egan (Essendon) - Round 21 - LOSS

Neil Craig (Melbourne) - Round 13 - LOSS
Mark Harvey (Brisbane) - Round 21 - WIN
Simon Goodwin (Essendon) - Round 23 - LOSS

Garry Hocking (Port Adelaide) - Round 20 - LOSS

Mark Bickley (Adelaide) - Round 19 - WIN
Todd Viney (Melbourne) - Round 20 - LOSS
Paul Williams (Western Bulldogs) - Round 22 - WIN

Matthew Primus (Port Adelaide) - Round 16 - LOSS

Jade Rawlings (Richmond) - Round 12 - WIN
Darren Crocker (North Melbourne) - Round 13 - LOSS

Mark Riley (Melbourne) - Round 14 - WIN
Mark Harvey (Fremantle) - Round 16 - WIN
Brett Ratten (Carlton) - Round 17 - LOSS

Donald McDonald (Hawthorn) - Round 18 - LOSS
Neil Craig (Adelaide) - Round 14 - WIN

Paul Roos (Sydney) - Round 13 - WIN
Peter Rohde (Western Bulldogs) - Round 22 - WIN

Ben Allan (Fremantle) - Round 10 - LOSS
Grant Thomas (St Kilda) - Round 16 - LOSS

ledge
18-07-2019, 05:22 PM
I heard if you take all sports all over the world it’s a 76% win ratio.

Mofra
18-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Let's reign it in a bit, Bulgarian tiddlywinks and Mongolian sack-jumping aren't really comparable to AFL!

Axe Man
18-07-2019, 05:47 PM

Surely nobody has enough time on their hands to compile that useless statistic.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2019, 06:57 PM

I'm reading this right now and laughing. "There's something about Hird that oozes 'I'm your man', says King. Honestly, what planet is he on.
They keep blaming Seaford for their troubles. Seaford didn't pick your list Saints. Not one all Australian for 5 years.

Twodogs
18-07-2019, 07:17 PM
We are going at 100% this century! Lets sack Bevo and win the flag!

Axe Man
18-07-2019, 07:36 PM
We are going at 100% this century! Lets sack Bevo and win the flag!

We will have to sack the coach every week to guarantee success. Can you recycle them or must they be new every time for it to work?

Twodogs
18-07-2019, 07:40 PM
We will have to sack the coach every week to guarantee success. Can you recycle them or must they be new every time for it to work?

I don't know that we would because the coaches we have had are undefeated.

GVGjr
18-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Hird and Lethlean at the same club. Sounds like a plan

Bulldog Joe
18-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Interesting stats, but a 40 odd percent win rate does show improved performance as most sacked coaches are running at very low numbers (probably less than 20% - Note I don't have time to actually check).

When the coach changes the tactics, that the opposing team have prepared for, also change. I think this may also account for the dead cat bounce experienced by the teams changing coaches. It is also why it is not a sustainable improvement.

We simply need to be ready for any tactical change the Saints may make, but the best way to do that is control the footy on your terms.

ledge
18-07-2019, 11:19 PM
Hird and Lethlean at the same club. Sounds like a plan

Wasn’t Lethlean involved in a women in his office scandal ?
That would put Gary Lyon or Wayne Carey in the mix wouldn’t it?

hujsh
18-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Can we get Milne back in some capacity while we're at it?

bornadog
23-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Melbourne has signed up Richardson

GVGjr
23-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Melbourne has signed up Richardson

Interesting that they will work out the actual position somewhere down the track
Good signing for them and it seems like that wanted to jump in before anyone else did