PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 23, Vs Adelaide

Scraggers
23-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 22 match against GWS for our Round 23, 2019 match against Adelaide at Mars Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
18-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
18-08-2019, 06:54 PM
In - English if fit
Out - Trengove or Cordy

I'd debate West for Hayes/Richards

josie
18-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Geez I thought Trengove was ok today. Agree prefer Young over Cordy at present. Tough decisions this week. Cavarra and West were standouts for me st vfl level.

Rocket Science
18-08-2019, 07:15 PM
It's nice having the luxury of promoting/demoting blokes based on the specifics of week-to-week matchups rather than simply who was shit.

Nobody really deserves to go back after that.

West was clever today in the twos and there'd be no shame in making way for him.

bornadog
18-08-2019, 07:24 PM
I wonder if Libba is right and whether we bring him in for Hayes

GVGjr
18-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Geez I thought Trengove was ok today. Agree prefer Young over Cordy at present. Tough decisions this week. Cavarra and West were standouts for me st vfl level.

I also think he performed well.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-08-2019, 07:40 PM
English in for Cordy
West in for Hayes. I’m not convinced that Hayes plated poorly. He ran his guts out. But I think West has s few more trucks down in Ballarat’s cold wet. Conditions.

It nice to finally see the MC earning the coin we pay them. Tougher by the week at the right time of year.

hujsh
18-08-2019, 08:05 PM

I'd give him a runin the VFL to get some touch back personally.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2019, 08:39 PM

I can't believe I'm pondering this, but is Libba a walk up start in our best 22 right now? I'm not as sure as I once was.
If Hayes was to go out, I'm not sure Libba is next in line. I think Rhylee is next cab off the rank.

mjp
18-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Young out, English in.

Why would our best 22 change now? After Liberatore gets a game under his belt he can come in for Hayes.

comrade
18-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Young out, English in.

Why would our best 22 change now? After Liberatore gets a game under his belt he can come in for Hayes.

Do you think Cordy is a better option as the 2nd tall defender than Young?

Bullies
18-08-2019, 09:24 PM
English in for Cordy
West in for Hayes. I’m not convinced that Hayes plated poorly. He ran his guts out. But I think West has s few more trucks down in Ballarat’s cold wet. Conditions.

It nice to finally see the MC earning the coin we pay them. Tougher by the week at the right time of year. Cordy hasn't done much wrong the past couple of works and Adelaide have some big boys in the forward line. Fogarty/Lynch/Walker although not playing well can't be underestimated. Cordy may not get 30 p's but I think you will find the MC is more than happy with his performances of late.

bornadog
18-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Cordy hasn't done much wrong the past couple of works and Adelaide have some big boys in the forward line. Fogarty/Lynch/Walker although not playing well can't be underestimated. Cordy may not get 30 p's but I think you will find the MC is more than happy with his performances of late.

Agree, he has played alot better.

Sedat
18-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Young out, English in.

Yep. If we make finals Libba will be absolutely crucial in the white-hot intensity of September, and conversely the outside runners really struggle to get space.

AutoFill
18-08-2019, 10:26 PM
I’ve got a feeling that if English was an out at the very last minute with ‘illness’ ( I’m thinking flu like symptoms) then he might be out for next week as well, assuming he’ll be crook for a week. I’ll put it out there that Sweet makes his debut, and unfortunately it will be Young that goes out. Pity though as Young was really good. He just doesn’t have enough credits to retain his spot.

jeemak
18-08-2019, 10:27 PM
I can think of one genuine stinker from Cordy from the last few weeks, and that's it. He's tightened right up as has the captain who only had one Easton moment today.........which is around his career average.

I'm really happy for Lew Young, he's come into the side and had an impact through playing well after a bit of a shaky start. The question for me is who do we trust the most out of our defenders and which combination provides the most flexibility for us if things aren't going our way? For mine it's Cordy, Wood and Trengove rather than Young, Wood and Trengove.

So if English is ready then he comes in for Cordy. I want to see Liberatore get through a match prior to exposing him to the seniors, so if he is ready then he plays at Footscray.

jeemak
18-08-2019, 10:30 PM
I’ve got a feeling that if English was an out at the very last minute with ‘illness’ ( I’m thinking flu like symptoms) then he might be out for next week as well, assuming he’ll be crook for a week. I’ll put it out there that Sweet makes his debut, and unfortunately it will be Young that goes out. Pity though as Young was really good. He just doesn’t have enough credits to retain his spot.

It was apparently gastro, with Brent Prismall succumbing to it as well. I'm concerned that it will rip through the group this week, like a flu like illness did in the latter stages of 2010.......which was a bloody disappointment of a year!

bornadog
18-08-2019, 10:32 PM
So if English is ready then he comes in for Cordy. I want to see Liberatore get through a match prior to exposing him to the seniors, so if he is ready then he plays at Footscray.

English will be fine, had a bit of Gastro

bulldogtragic
18-08-2019, 11:17 PM
English will be fine, had a bit of Gastro

Heard he called his toilet ‘GWS’ for the afternoon, so he didn’t miss out on shitting on GWS either.

Vred
18-08-2019, 11:36 PM
I can think of one genuine stinker from Cordy from the last few weeks, and that's it. He's tightened right up as has the captain who only had one Easton moment today.........which is around his career average.

I'm really happy for Lew Young, he's come into the side and had an impact through playing well after a bit of a shaky start. The question for me is who do we trust the most out of our defenders and which combination provides the most flexibility for us if things aren't going our way? For mine it's Cordy, Wood and Trengove rather than Young, Wood and Trengove.

I Want us to get back to the point with defense where we can play Cordy up forward again to help get the ball up the ground, when we did that in 16 and, a few times this year, our forward line looks alot better for it.

Rocket Science
18-08-2019, 11:40 PM
Lewy Young could be our Harris Andrews.

Whether now's the right time to anoint him is a vexing question though.

comrade
19-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Lewy Young could be our Harris Andrews.

Whether now's the right time to anoint him is a vexing question though.

His intercepting has been a highlight at vfl level all year (15 marks last week) but I was very impressed with his 1 on 1 defending after qtr time. He used his long arms to get to kill a few contests he had no right chopping.

jeemak
19-08-2019, 01:27 AM
I reckon Dickson will be in doubt due to a hamstring either being slightly strained or tight/sore.

He noticeably reached for it in the last couple of seconds of the third quarter and looked to go off the ground with about 15 minutes to go in the last and finish the game in a tracksuit top.

Bad timing if that's the case, but with the week off it might be OK.

bornadog
19-08-2019, 09:33 AM
I reckon Dickson will be in doubt due to a hamstring either being slightly strained or tight/sore.

He noticeably reached for it in the last couple of seconds of the third quarter and looked to go off the ground with about 15 minutes to go in the last and finish the game in a tracksuit top.

Bad timing if that's the case, but with the week off it might be OK.

He had a similar issue the previous week, so may be something about to happen.

craigsahibee
19-08-2019, 09:43 AM
I can't believe the calls for Cordy to make way. Zaine's a lock in my humble opinion.

Hayes makes way for English if there are no other forced ommissions.

azabob
19-08-2019, 09:45 AM
I can't believe the calls for Cordy to make way. Zaine's a lock in my humble opinion.

Hayes makes way for English if there are no other forced ommissions.

Surely then when become too top heavy and lose running power?

westbulldog
19-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Calls to drop Young after a good game are mystifying, some would have him out whether he played well or not. Cordy is not the long term answer to CHB. Young stays imo.

Axe Man
19-08-2019, 12:24 PM

If English is out again why wouldn't we just leave it as is? Trengove did an admirable job in the ruck, this isn't the time to leap into the unknown with Sweet.

Hotdog60
19-08-2019, 07:26 PM
If Dicko has a bit of Hammy soreness could we see Cavarra debut.
It's a bit of like for like. West would be another option but if we start to get on top and the Crows look like they are out could a more seasoned campaigner be better if it gets a bit willing.

azabob
19-08-2019, 08:25 PM
It's a bit of like for like. West would be another option but if we start to get on top and the Crows look like they are out could a more seasoned campaigner be better if it gets a bit willing.

West for mine would be better option than Cavarra. West was extremely unlucky to be dropped after 1 game.

Rocket Science
19-08-2019, 08:56 PM

Granted he's played all of one game but West won't shirk anything willing.

When he wasn't snapping timely goals against both the wind and flow of play yesterday he was happily in the thick of it, even put one opponent on his arse after a wrestle then stood over him daring the bloke to go on with it. He didn't.

He's got his Dad's resolve, and he's ready. I'd have no qualms bringing him in if there's a spot going.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Adelaide are going to throw everything at us this Sunday.
I was more confident going into the GWS game than this.
If we go in thinking we're going to walk this in and kick a dozen unanswered goals we'll get set on our backside.
Hope we go in with the right mindset and with the requisite level of respect for Adelaide.
For mine, we need to repay Adelaide for 2015 Elimination Final.

bornadog
19-08-2019, 11:21 PM
Adelaide are going to throw everything at us this Sunday.
I was more confident going into the GWS game than this.
If we go in thinking we're going to walk this in and kick a dozen unanswered goals we'll get set on our backside.
Hope we go in with the right mindset and with the requisite level of respect for Adelaide.
For mine, we need to repay Adelaide for 2015 Elimination Final.

The one thing I am confident about is the midfield, but as you say, we need to be on our game as Crows will be desperate.

bornadog
20-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Ballarat clash sold out (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-20/ballarat-clash-sold-out)

bornadog
20-08-2019, 05:59 PM
English available, Libba out indefinitely at this stage.

Doc26
20-08-2019, 06:19 PM
In: English
Out: Dickson

Trengove, Young and Wood as our 3 defensive talls

Naughton, Schache, Cordy as key forwards with Lloyd
Dale, McLean, Smith, Lipinski to mop up.

Hayes another run with role on Sloane or Crouch (take your pick).

azabob
20-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Doc have you dropped Dickson or injured?

Doc26
20-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Doc have you dropped Dickson or injured?

Reluctantly for balance, yes have elected to spell Tory. Is made a bit easier reading that he may have some hamstring tightness. The downside is taking out an experienced goal kicker heading into the finals doesn’t sit that well.

Would just prefer to retain Lew Young and would like to see what Zaine might add up forward as a 3rd tall.

I was unsure of Hayes but as a running role with player he adds some unique value to the team.

Danjul
20-08-2019, 11:20 PM
Reluctantly for balance, yes have elected to spell Tory. Is made a bit easier reading that he may have some hamstring tightness. The downside is taking out an experienced goal kicker heading into the finals doesn’t sit that well.

Would just prefer to retain Lew Young and would like to see what Zaine might add up forward as a 3rd tall.

I was unsure of Hayes but as a running role with player he adds some unique value to the team.

Young was the best backman against the Giants. He took a few contested marks and kicked well, and the Giants started to go wider and not through CHF. That allowed the others to play their natural games and the backline worked effectively.

one thing I noticed was they didn’t make use of his height when kicking in. Obviously not used to his presence.

Bulldog4life
21-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Not 100% sure of this this and I stand to be corrected. But wasn't it Hayes who played on Whitfield after half time and stopped his run?.

Hotdog60
21-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Not 100% sure of this this and I stand to be corrected. But wasn't it Hayes who played on Whitfield after half time and stopped his run?.

Not if you listen to GWS, he could breathe.

bornadog
21-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Not if you listen to GWS, he could breathe.

HD60, check your post. ;)

Hotdog60
22-08-2019, 07:17 AM
HD60, check your post. ;)

I should learn to read. I read an article from the Australian which was to do with how dangerous the Dogs will be if we make it.
The comment posted under the article was this:
All Comments 2

Andrew

22 hours ago
(Edited)

The Dogs are a dangerous side because they cause severe injury to opponents without any consequence.

Last weekend Dog Bontempelli cracked a neck bone of opponent Giant Haynes in a late high shot.

Haynes struggled to breathe, will miss the entire finals series - and yet Bontempelli receives only a slap on the wrist fine.

The Dogs are dangerous because they are unaccountable, protected by the VFL - and have a licence to severely injure opponents without consequence.

The message for junior footballers is very clear and very disturbing.

So I guess I was still pissed off with the comment. :D

AshMac
22-08-2019, 08:57 AM
I should learn to read. I read an article from the Australian which was to do with how dangerous the Dogs will be if we make it.
The comment posted under the article was this:
All Comments 2

Andrew

22 hours ago
(Edited)

The Dogs are a dangerous side because they cause severe injury to opponents without any consequence.

Last weekend Dog Bontempelli cracked a neck bone of opponent Giant Haynes in a late high shot.

Haynes struggled to breathe, will miss the entire finals series - and yet Bontempelli receives only a slap on the wrist fine.

The Dogs are dangerous because they are unaccountable, protected by the VFL - and have a licence to severely injure opponents without consequence.

The message for junior footballers is very clear and very disturbing.

So I guess I was still pissed off with the comment. :D

This is disgraceful. How is there not more talk of recklessness and bans?

The GWS doctors are very lucky to escape unscathed after putting a player back on the field who “couldn’t breathe” and taking 48 hours to realise he had broken his neck!!

Axe Man
22-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Bevo on selection:

Tim English will return, while Beveridge admits it would be "very tough" to take defender Lewis Young out of the side after coming in as a late change last week.

"He (Young) played extremely well. It's a tough ask to take the phone call on Sunday morning to be told that you’re definitely playing, jump on a plane pretty quickly and perform an absolutely critical role in a huge game, I thought he was outstanding."

bornadog
22-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Bevo on selection:

Looks like he may play

Ozza
22-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Looks like it might be English in and an injured Dickson out.

bornadog
22-08-2019, 07:15 PM
In: English
Out: Dickson

Trengove, Young and Wood as our 3 defensive talls

Naughton, Schache, Cordy as key forwards with Lloyd
Dale, McLean, Smith, Lipinski to mop up.

Hayes another run with role on Sloane or Crouch (take your pick).

This could be spot on as some doubt on Dickson

ledge
22-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Dickson officially out English in but a lot on the bench including Porter.

bulldogtragic
22-08-2019, 07:29 PM
From last week, Lippa, JT, Hayes & Suckling on the bench. Plus West, Roarke, Porter & Williams.

The only question is JT or West. 80% chance of 1-4mm rain.

Do the trade of Williams for Keath after the game.

1eyedog
22-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Seen Essendon's outs lol. Looks like we'll get GWS if we win.

ledge
22-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Seen Essendon's outs lol. Looks like we'll get GWS if we win.

Pies have a few outs too ..we do still have to win you realise.

1eyedog
22-08-2019, 08:14 PM

I thought I mentioned that...

Eastdog
22-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Must focus on Sunday now and get that win.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2019, 08:43 PM
This is disgraceful. How is there not more talk of recklessness and bans?

The GWS doctors are very lucky to escape unscathed after putting a player back on the field who “couldn’t breathe” and taking 48 hours to realise he had broken his neck!!

Careful. We did it with Dale Morris in a Grand Final

MrMahatma
22-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Whole finals series?

AshMac
23-08-2019, 09:07 AM
From last week, Lippa, JT, Hayes & Suckling on the bench. Plus West, Roarke, Porter & Williams.

The only question is JT or West. 80% chance of 1-4mm rain.

Do the trade of Williams for Keath after the game.

Hah - yeh they just get into the other teams bus at the end of the game.

Crows red hot on Williams a couple of years back - couldn’t think of an environment he’s less likely to succeed in

Mofra
23-08-2019, 10:28 AM
Morris isn't human though.

LostDoggy
23-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Who’s the natural opponent for JT this week?

hujsh
23-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Would I be right in thinking that with Jackson and Lewis both down back and Dickson the only out at this stage that there's a decent chance that operation 'Cordy plays forward knees fools in the face' is back on?

1eyedog
23-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if JT misses.

azabob
23-08-2019, 04:50 PM

How come? He’d be terribly unlucky

Mantis
23-08-2019, 05:06 PM

They're likely to play 2 rucks + 3 tallish forwards so JT needs to play.

GVGjr
23-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Yep, he could be missing in the final team.

comrade
23-08-2019, 06:08 PM
English and West in.

Dickson and Trengove out.

JT stiff.

merantau
23-08-2019, 06:12 PM
Trengove very stiff. Played his best game since joining us.

Rocket Science
23-08-2019, 06:13 PM
It's quite the show of faith in Lewy Young.

We'll miss a bit of Trengove's appetite for a scrap.

comrade
23-08-2019, 06:14 PM
They're likely to play 2 rucks + 3 tallish forwards so JT needs to play.

Adelaide dropped O’Brien and have gone in with Jacobs as the sole ruck.

How do you see our defensive match ups working out? Young or Cordy to Walker?

Grantysghost
23-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Trengove out that's just insanity.

angelopetraglia
23-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Do not understand Trengove. We looked lost when he wasn't in the team in the early rounds without that extra larger body in defence.

comrade
23-08-2019, 06:17 PM

Adelaide don’t have a forward over 193cm and have gone in with 1 ruck only. What’s JT’s best match up?

mjp
23-08-2019, 06:18 PM

We can't have Trengove and English and Young and Cordy and Naughton and Schache.

One had to go. I am very surprised it is JT but that's Bevo.

bulldogtragic
23-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Rhylee is for, effectively, an elimination final. A lot of faith in the kid. I like it.

JT stiff, but who knows if there’s a late change.

comrade
23-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Do not understand Trengove. We looked lost when he wasn't in the team in the early rounds without that extra larger body in defence.

I would have definitely gone JT over Cordy but Adelaide is one side that don’t have a big stay at home 195+ gorilla.

Grantysghost
23-08-2019, 06:21 PM
We can't have Trengove and English and Young and Cordy and Naughton and Schache.

One had to go. I am very surprised it is JT but that's Bevo.

Young out. Surely. One game against zero forwards. Ridiculous.

Prince Imperial
23-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Cordy incredibly lucky to be playing ahead of Trengove given their respective form this year and the latter's ability to go in the ruck.

comrade
23-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Feels like it's been about 8 weeks since we had a Crazy Bevo reaction the match committee thread!

Grantysghost
23-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Feels like it's been about 8 weeks since we had a Crazy Bevo reaction the match committee thread!

Great way to reward a guy that's got you this far. I expect he won't be happy.

ratsmac
23-08-2019, 06:40 PM
JT out wow. I didn't see that coming to be honest. I would agree that it would have to be for match up reasons but I thought he was an important part of our back line. We defended last week pretty good while he was in the ruck so I'd say that would be partly the reason he misses also.

We have been waiting for a while for Lewis Young to mature into a KPD and now after last weeks good performance, this is a chance to build on it and potentially play finals with the big boys. I loved his game last week. He marked the ball when he had to and punched the ball when he had to. Good signs.

I am excited to get another look at Westy's lad again too.

Anyone know what Dickson's injury is?

bornadog
23-08-2019, 06:43 PM
JT out wow. I didn't see that coming to be honest. I would agree that it would have to be for match up reasons but I thought he was an important part of our back line. We defended last week pretty good while he was in the ruck so I'd say that would be partly the reason he misses also.

We have been waiting for a while for Lewis Young to mature into a KPD and now after last weeks good performance, this is a chance to build on it and potentially play finals with the big boys. I loved his game last week. He marked the ball when he had to and punched the ball when he had to. Good signs.

I am excited to get another look at Westy's lad again too.

Anyone know what Dickson's injury is?

Received a knock to the head last week

Even though Young played well, are we taking a risk in such an important game?

The Adelaide Connection
23-08-2019, 06:47 PM

My heart palpitations when I read the ins/outs had me thinking the same. That said, if the Crows really get a hold of Young we probably could switch him into the ruck for a spell with Naughton back and English forward.

1eyedog
23-08-2019, 07:02 PM

I'm not who does he play on?

Doc26
23-08-2019, 07:07 PM

I would still argue that we could’ve played Trengove in place of West.

Was fine for the Eagles a couple of weeks back against the Crows to go with Barrass, McGovern, Schofield, Hickey, Kennedy, Darling and Oscar Allen (not including Hurn) against the same talls that the Crows have this week with the addition of Keath for Otten.

Whilst the Crows tall aren’t gorillas per se they are experienced bigger body talls than ours.

It worked out OK for Collingwood the other week to go in small against the Crows so hopefully it does for us as well.

I would’ve preferred taking in Trengove over West and have Cordy play the utility.

comrade
23-08-2019, 07:10 PM

Was fine for the Eagles a couple of weeks back against the Crows to go with Barrass, McGovern, Schofield, Hickey, Kennedy, Darling and Oscar Allen (not including Hurn) against the same talls that the Crows have this week with the addition of Keath for Otten.

Whilst the Crows tall aren’t gorillas per se they are experienced bigger body talls than ours.

It worked out OK for Collingwood the other week to go in small against the Crows so hopefully it does for us as well.

I would’ve preferred taking in Trengove over West and have Cordy play the utility.

All of the Eagles talls are more mobile than JT (and Cordy/Young to be fair) plus they’re all more dangerous aerially. Don’t forget, Adelaide’s running game gave the Eagles some trouble that day.

Grantysghost
23-08-2019, 07:24 PM
I'm not who does he play on?

Fogarty. He's a big boy 195 and 100.

chef
23-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Fogarty. He's a big boy 195 and 100.

He isnt fast or agile enough imo for Fogarty. Wood should get him. Hes not a gorilla KF.

1eyedog
23-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Has under 20 games under his belt perfect for Young.

Doc26
23-08-2019, 07:26 PM
All of the Eagles talls are more mobile than JT (and Cordy/Young to be fair) plus they’re all more dangerous aerially. Don’t forget, Adelaide’s running game gave the Eagles some trouble that day.

Which is the perfectly reasonable hypothesis that has no doubt been decided on by our MC.

Grantysghost
23-08-2019, 07:37 PM
He isnt fast or agile enough imo for Fogarty. Wood should get him. Hes not a gorilla KF.

Surely you are extracting the urine. Maybe I've been second hand smoking something I shouldn't. JT completely destroyed Tom Lynch earlier in the year and that's just the one I can remember.

AshMac
23-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Surprised JT dropped like a lot of others here, guess they see LeYoung as a better option....

chef
23-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Surely you are extracting the urine. Maybe I've been second hand smoking something I shouldn't. JT completely destroyed Tom Lynch earlier in the year and that's just the one I can remember.

Nah mate, i really dont think JT is suited for a job on Fogarty.

Maybe if Jenkins was playing perhaps he'd have a better role.

Prince Imperial
23-08-2019, 07:51 PM
We will be the youngest side in the AFL this round with Adelaide the oldest:

Average Attributes
Western Bulldogs Adelaide
187.5cm Height 186.8cm
84.8kg Weight 86.2kg
23yr 10mth Age 27yr 2mth
75.6 Games 136.6

GVGjr
23-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Surprised JT dropped like a lot of others here, guess they see LeYoung as a better option....

We pretty much ignored Lewy Young all season and after one game have now effectively confirmed he is in our best 22
You would have to think that if English was available last week Trengove would have been dropped a week earlier.
It seems like he might have been hanging on by a thread for a few weeks

azabob
23-08-2019, 07:56 PM
We pretty much ignored Lewy Young all season and after one game have now effectively confirmed he is in our best 22
You would have to think that if English was available last week Trengove would have been dropped a week earlier.

English was available though up until the morning of the game.

Young only got the call up 7am game day.

Or you don’t believe that?

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2019, 07:56 PM

Except he wasn't and Lewy only came in because English took ill. From what I heard Young wasn't even in Sydney and had to fly up.

What Lewy Young did was perform superbly to hold his spot.

GVGjr
23-08-2019, 08:00 PM
English was available though up until the morning of the game.

Young only got the call up 7am game day.

Or you don’t believe that?

I don't quite believe he got sick the day before but it's a good point you have raised

Grantysghost
23-08-2019, 08:02 PM

Fair enough, I'm struggling with the decision but overall team first of course. Just thinking match ups are one thing, leadership, strength (only guy that took on Robinson with that hit on dunks), presence they are all things JT brings to the table. Have to back the MC that have got us here but it's bold this late. I think Jackson was dropped before Power finals series 2017 that went well.

comrade
23-08-2019, 08:02 PM
Except he wasn't and Lewy only came in because English took ill. From what I heard Young wasn't even in Sydney and had to fly up.

What Lewy Young did was perform superbly to hold his spot.

Pretty much. Trengove wasn’t hanging on by a thread. It seems Young came in, proved himself and because Adelaide’s match ups suit Young better he was chosen.

mjp
23-08-2019, 08:14 PM

I love ya Doc but we surely aren't comparing:

Key backs: Barrass/McGovern with LeYoung/Cordy
Key Forwards: Kennedy/Darling with Naughts/Schache

We aren't doing that are we? West Coast can go bigger than us 'cos at this point in there development, the Weagles bigs are better/more dependable than our bigs. I wanted to say 'particularly the backs' but then I thought about it and wanted to write 'particularly the forwards' and now I just want to say it just isnt a comparison.

Doc26
23-08-2019, 08:40 PM
I love ya Doc but we surely aren't comparing:

Key backs: Barrass/McGovern with LeYoung/Cordy
Key Forwards: Kennedy/Darling with Naughts/Schache

We aren't doing that are we? West Coast can go bigger than us 'cos at this point in there development, the Weagles bigs are better/more dependable than our bigs. I wanted to say 'particularly the backs' but then I thought about it and wanted to write 'particularly the forwards' and now I just want to say it just isnt a comparison.

No it wasn’t at all my intention to compare who has the better talls at this stage in their development. The Eagles are undoubtedly superior in this area.

I was as much highlighting that you can go in big against a smaller line up if the talent and experience stacks up.

The Eagles on paper went in significantly taller than the Crows but they do have the talent, experience, and mobility where judging on height alone is secondary if not insignificant.

I’m not at all convinced that Cordy plays or is suited to a key defensive position which is how we’re using him.

Hotdog60
23-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Are we expecting rain? I'm in sunny QLD so I don't know what it's like in Ballarat.
Just in the selection sense.

comrade
23-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Are we expecting rain? I'm in sunny QLD so I don't know what it's like in Ballarat.
Just in the selection sense.

Around 1mm is expected Sunday morning. Temp will max out at around 9 degrees.

1eyedog
23-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Forgarty leads at the ball carrier far, far more than Lynch who would be considered a 50/50 long ball / lead up forward. JT will struggle on the lead. A least as far as I'm concerned.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-08-2019, 10:09 PM
So is Trengove's omission a team balance change? I thought he did an admirable job last week.

1eyedog
23-08-2019, 10:42 PM
So is Trengove's omission a team balance change? I thought he did an admirable job last week.

Of course with English coming back in.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Really happy for West hope he puts in a good one.

The bulldog tragician
24-08-2019, 06:16 PM
How strange. We were bewildered all year that Young Lewis wasn’t in the team .... and now after finally being included albeit last minute, in a match that had much to love but a few things early on where TBH he looked very shaky, he is retained over a workhorse who’s been valiant all year. #inBevowetrust (gulp).

Mofra
24-08-2019, 06:31 PM

JT is more suited to Fogarty than he is Jenkins.

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 06:54 PM
How strange. We were bewildered all year that Young Lewis wasn’t in the team .... and now after finally being included albeit last minute, in a match that had much to love but a few things early on where TBH he looked very shaky, he is retained over a workhorse who’s been valiant all year. #inBevowetrust (gulp).

I think we missed an opportunity throughout the season to develop some of the younger players and Lewis Young was probably the most glaring omission. I look forward to seeing how he goes hopefully this week and a few more after that

Happy Days
24-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Trengove was dropped because it is professional sport and Young was better than him last week. I like what Trengove has done for the group but we should be psyched that we have a young KPD showing heaps not bemoaning that he's replaced someone with obvious limitations.

comrade
24-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Trengove was dropped because it is professional sport and Young was better than him last week. I like what Trengove has done for the group but we should be psyched that we have a young KPD showing heaps not bemoaning that he's replaced someone with obvious limitations.

Yep. This is pretty close to our best and most balanced 22.

Grantysghost
24-08-2019, 07:23 PM

Obvious?

Happy Days
24-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Obvious?

Mans is slow, weak by foot and prone to some horrible decisions. There's a very particular type of player that he excels at playing on and they're a dying breed in the AFL.

I have him pegged as a superior version of Roughy as a KPD. For what its worth I think he's been a fantastic presence during a tumultuous time for the club.

Grantysghost
24-08-2019, 07:38 PM
Mans is slow, weak by foot and prone to some horrible decisions. There's a very particular type of player that he excels at playing on and they're a dying breed in the AFL.

I have him pegged as a superior version of Roughy as a KPD. For what its worth I think he's been a fantastic presence during a tumultuous time for the club.

I hear you, we could certainly pick out negatives for most players I would've thought though. Long term Young makes sense, at this point of this season I'd prefer Jackson.

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 07:58 PM

The upside is that he is a great club man and versatile enough to fill a few positions which makes him a more than handy enough player for us. You're right though ideally he needs certain match-up's

I'm a fan of Lewy Young and believe he should have played a bit more though the season and I wonder how he will go when pitted against the players Trengove might otherwise have taken. I guess it Cordy vs Walker tomorrow which will be a good test

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 08:43 PM
I hear you, we could certainly pick out negatives for most players I would've thought though. Long term Young makes sense, at this point of this season I'd prefer Jackson.

Yep me too. You know what you're getting with Trenners the difference between his best and worst is slim. Young is a big risk. He's still developing and is liable to put in a stinker. If they expose him this weekend it might get ugly.

Mofra
24-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Yep, good luck to Lewis but Trengove is near the best defenders in the comp for one on one winning %. Surprising, but there's only a couple of percent in it.

macca
25-08-2019, 12:08 AM
Dropping trengrove is a sign that Lewis development has progressed well as he grows into being a KPD. I find this exciting and is a good problem to have that one of our young players has been picked ahead of one of the senior players

Trengrove has been an excellent pickup and a good clubman I would expect he understands where he sits in the team

Funny don’t recall him being such a bad kick at port . He was a superb mark at port before he got series of injuries in 2015

I am excited by young’s potential but also a bit anxious on the GAP between his good and worst , but hopefully he has matured as a player who knows how to cope with pressure and bring consistent footy

MrMahatma
25-08-2019, 12:12 AM
Worth giving Young the match. If we are to win the flag (which we could) we will need to beat either Tigers or Eagles who both have 2x KPFs. So keeping Lewis in, giving him confidence and exposure at AFL level is a great idea. ��

Bulldog4life
25-08-2019, 09:43 AM
A real sliding doors moment. If Tim wasn't sick last weekend most likely JT would be playing this week. Let's hope it all works out.

GVGjr
25-08-2019, 10:13 AM
There really isn't any excuses for today's game. Conditions will be good and we have been in such strong form. It's really up to us

kruder
25-08-2019, 10:44 AM
I think Bevo has picked the best side to win the game today go figure. I'm not sure that was the case earlier in the season.

JT doesn't have a match up( Tex is a flanker)but still think he will be under heavy consideration if we make it and play the Giants.

AshMac
25-08-2019, 11:06 AM
We’re the better team than Adelaide on form. I’ve learnt, time and time again, that it is wrong to be confident and bullish about us winning.

It’s in our hands though - so I’ll just try not to pass out from nervousness before 1.10