PDA

View Full Version : Players on our list - yet to debut

bornadog
30-07-2019, 01:27 PM
We have a number of players on our list who have yet to debut.

What are posters thoughts, are they going to succeed? Have you seen enough at VFL level to say they have a future?

Name
Games
Height
Weight
Origin
Position

Cavarra, Ben
23yr 7mth
20-Dec-95
173cm
72kg
Williamstown
Forward

Khamis, Buku R
19yr 4mth
24-Mar-00
189cm
82kg
Western Jets
Defender

Porter, Callum
20yr 5mth
22-Feb-99
182cm
76kg
Gippsland Power
Midfield

Sweet, Jordon R
21yr 5mth
2-Feb-98
203cm
106kg
North Adelaide
Ruck

Vandermeer, Laitham
20yr 5mth
3-Feb-99
180cm
77kg
Murray Bushrangers
Defender /midfield

Mofra
30-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Love the way Vandermeer can just take off when he gets the ball.
Has serious pace and uses it. A player that looks like he can have a high impact in games from just a handful of possessions.

I'm guessing his numbers don't look fantastic but he passes the eyeball test with flying colours.

lemmon
30-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Agree with Mof re. Vandermeer - there's something about him that says 'player'.

I think Cavarra has a role to play as that small pressure forward. I think he would've played a lot of footy this year had it not been for injury and very well may slot into Dickson's role next year.

Khamis was always going to take time and needs to get his tank right, but think he's shown enough aerial ability and neat disposal to suggest that there's a future.

I'm not sure Porter gets another year past this one. He looks like a solid footballer but I don't think he's shown anything that suggest he's an AFL standard player.

ledge
30-07-2019, 05:25 PM
Sweet will debut this year , can’t see how he can be kept out much longer.
Give him the ruck duties and let English get into marking positions forward or back.

Rocket Science
30-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Digressing somewhat, if I wonder if Vandermeer's bag of tricks influences what we end up doing with Williams.

Ozza
30-07-2019, 10:50 PM
Vandermeer has some real traits, think another pre-season and some continuity at VFL and we’ll see some good stuff from him next year.
Cavarra really hasn’t had a good run at it. I haven’t seen enough of him - but has some of those Puopolo type traits that could really suit us should he force his way in.
Khamis - Bit of a specimen, and a great kick. The parts missing from his game is urgency and reading the play. Will need time, and was always expected to need time.
Sweet - needs another pre-season at least. Insurance for English. Who knows, in 3-4 years he might be the next Reilly O’Brien. Won’t get in while English is healthy - it doesn’t work. But there is no rush.
Porter - I’d have thought he’d have to have had more of an impact at VFL by now.

There’s others in a bit of no mans land due to stop-start seasons and not really having any outstanding games like Lynch, Greene’s was a write off, and interesting to see what happens with Hayes long term. But you need a whole squad.

AshMac
02-08-2019, 09:40 AM
What has been the issue with Cavarra? Is it his form or injuries?

Was so happy when we drafted him last year.

bornadog
02-08-2019, 09:45 AM
What has been the issue with Cavarra? Is it his form or injuries?

Was so happy when we drafted him last year.

Mainly injuries.

He had a bad start to preseason when the VFL side played his old club, and the thugs targeted him breaking some ribs. Then when he got back, he was injured straight away. Following on from that he played some games and was injured again.

He is back this week and hopefully he gets a run at it.

Twodogs
02-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Mainly injuries.

He had a bad start to preseason when the VFL side played his old club, and the thugs targeted him breaking some ribs. Then when he got back, he was injured straight away. Following on from that he played some games and was injured again.

Williamstown are scum.

Eastdog
02-08-2019, 10:56 PM
Sweet will debut this year , can’t see how he can be kept out much longer.
Give him the ruck duties and let English get into marking positions forward or back.

I don’t watch a lot of the VFL but I have read good reports about him.

Eastdog
02-08-2019, 10:58 PM
Mainly injuries.

Must be frustrating for Ben. You need to get the games in and get that experience.

bornadog
12-03-2020, 12:09 PM
Updated for start of 2020

No
Name
Games
Height
Weight
Origin
Position

Butler, Louis
18yr 6mth
26-Aug-01
184cm
75kg
Sandringham Dragons
Defender/Midfield

Cavarra, Ben
24yr 2mth
20-Dec-95
173cm
72kg
Williamstown
Forward

Garcia, Riley
19yr 1mth
30-Jan-01
177cm
70kg
Swan Districts
Midfield

Khamis, Buku R
19yr 11mth
24-Mar-00
189cm
82kg
Western Jets
Defender

Porter, Callum
21yr
22-Feb-99
182cm
76kg
Gippsland Power
Midfield

Sweet, Jordon R
22yr 1mth
2-Feb-98
203cm
106kg
North Adelaide
Ruck

Vandermeer, Laitham
21yr 1mth
3-Feb-99
180cm
77kg
Murray Bushrangers
Midfield/Forward

Weightman, Cody
19yr 1mth
15-Jan-01
177cm
73kg
Dandenong Stingrays
Forward

Who will debut first?

Mofra
12-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Caverra, Weightman, Vandermeer the three most likely.
We just have to play Caverra at some stage if he's fit this year, we need to know if he's up to it.

hujsh
12-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Sweet might be a shot if injuries strike the wrong players. Mainly English, maybe Trengove.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Weightman for me. Wouldn't surprise if he is played early.....like round 1.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2020, 02:51 PM
I'll say Weightman but I like what I've seen from Vandermeer and I'd love to see him get a crack at it.

Bulldog Revolution
12-03-2020, 04:07 PM
I'll say Weightman but I like what I've seen from Vandermeer and I'd love to see him get a crack at it.

I noted the Herald Sun toays tabbed Vandermeer as the best player on our list youve never heard of

ledge
12-03-2020, 04:59 PM
I noted the Herald Sun toays tabbed Vandermeer as the best player on our list youve never heard of

But he must have been heard of to actually name him !

josie
12-03-2020, 08:31 PM
L watch fair bit of dogs vfl live. I am a Cavarra fan-even purchased a badge with his photo. X fingers he gets a chance to play seniors and he grabs his chance. If we can give Ayce 12 games I hope Ben is given more than 1 chance in seniors.

AshMac
12-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Surprised Cavarra didn’t get a run at the marsh series.

Danjul
13-03-2020, 01:10 AM
Sweet might be a shot if injuries strike the wrong players. Mainly English, maybe Trengove.

During the game against Port our backline seemed unbalanced by the fact they were at a height disadvantage .

Tall opposition players repeatedly took strong overhead marks close to goal, even after Dixon was injured, and our interceptors were obviously not sure where to position themselves.

we must have a tall strong body to stand against the Hawkins/Dixon type forwards and allow Keath, Crozier etc to play their natural game.

Trengove has done it , and after seeing Sweet against Goldstein he is worth some attention.