PDA

View Full Version : Vale Graham 'Polly' Farmer.

westdog54
14-08-2019, 02:31 PM
Vale 'Polly' Farmer: Footy mourns one of its original Legends - http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-14/vale-polly-farmer-footy-mourns-one-of-its-original-legends

An inargrual legend in the hall of fame and Ruckman in the VFL/AFL, Western Australian, Geelong, East Perth, West Perth and Indigenous Teams of the Century.

bornadog
14-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Was a brilliant tap ruckman and expert handballer. He basically made Billy Goggin into a champion rover by tapping the ball right into his hands.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-08-2019, 06:30 PM
Polly changed VFL Football when he arrived at Geelong in 1962. His ability to take the hitouts and in the same stride give off a handpass to Billy Goggin was unique. John Schultz used to say that Farmer would spring off his hips to gain extra elevation. Farmer Nicholls and Schultz were the 3 outstanding ruck men of their era. Polly Farmer played 19 seasons of senior football in WA and Vic winning 10 best and fairest Awards. Farmer was the first Indigenous player to coach at League football when he coached Geelong for 3 years. Vale Polly Farmer an absolute Champion

Bulldog4life
14-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Polly changed VFL Football when he arrived at Geelong in 1962. His ability to take the hitouts and in the same stride give off a handpass to Billy Goggin was unique. John Schultz used to say that Farmer would spring off his hips to gain extra elevation. Farmer Nicholls and Schultz were the 3 outstanding ruck men of their era. Polly Farmer played 19 seasons of senior football in WA and Vic winning 10 best and fairest Awards. Farmer was the first Indigenous player to coach at League football when he coached Geelong for 3 years. Vale Polly Farmer an absolute Champion

Great post NBP. He changed the way footy was played at the time with those long handballs to Goggin, Polinelli and co.

westdog54
14-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Was a brilliant tap ruckman and expert handballer. He basically made Billy Goggin into a champion rover by tapping the ball right into his hands.

Turned the handball from a rushed pass to a genuine attacking weapon.

Revolutionised the game.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-08-2019, 07:50 PM
rip polly. Wouldn't have been easy being an indigenous player in that era. Was a role model for his community.

I remember kb saying that he caught up with polly a few years ago and he was still bitter about the 1967 grand final result.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/farmer-still-bitter-over-umpiring-20040808-gdyf1i.html

bornadog
14-08-2019, 08:53 PM
rip polly. Wouldn't have been easy being an indigenous player in that era. Was a role model for his community.

I remember kb saying that he caught up with polly a few years ago and he was still bitter about the 1967 grand final result.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/farmer-still-bitter-over-umpiring-20040808-gdyf1i.html

I heard Gareth Andrews today talking about Polly, and he said he was Captain of Geelong and he couldn't even vote (bloody disgrace)

Scraggers
14-08-2019, 09:47 PM
I only met him twice; an absolute gentleman ... condolences to all of the family

westdog54
14-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Great post NBP. He changed the way footy was played at the time with those long handballs to Goggin, Polinelli and co.

I just remembered Polly's appearance on The Footy Show many years ago.

Doug Hawkins asked about Polly handling through a car window, and Polly told the story of how it came about.

Doug then asked "how fast was the car moving?"

"Well, ideally the car wasn't moving at all..."

"Oh Sorry Poll..."

Dry Rot
14-08-2019, 10:07 PM
RIP Polly.

Any of you old blokes see him play live?

Twodogs
15-08-2019, 07:29 AM
I just remembered Polly's appearance on The Footy Show many years ago.

Doug Hawkins asked about Polly handling through a car window, and Polly told the story of how it came about.

Doug then asked "how fast was the car moving?"

"Well, ideally the car wasn't moving at all..."

"Oh Sorry Poll..."

When Barry Cable landed in Victoria they told him the story about Polly handballing through the car window. Cable just said "Wind the window down halfway. Now how far away did Polly stand?"

merantau
15-08-2019, 02:44 PM
I saw him play a few times. He was a standout with his skill by hand and foot and his mobility. He certainly brought others into the play with his handball. Not an under statement to say that he was a modern footballer; he arrived before his time and the game had to catch up.