PDA

View Full Version : Player Contract Status

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

1eyedog
06-07-2021, 04:11 PM
We don't. He's going nowhere.

Yeah he'd sign on for a pie and a coke I reckon.

SquirrelGrip
06-07-2021, 04:35 PM
Yeah he'd sign on for a pie and a coke I reckon.

And a couple of dimmies from the canteen.

comrade
07-07-2021, 05:59 PM
I think some Libba news is incoming.

comrade
07-07-2021, 06:04 PM
https://i.ibb.co/SRb37YV/Libba-Contract-Extension-1200x67-text-ART.jpg (https://ibb.co/ZW5M14c)

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/973738/

Happy Days
07-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Yep - two years.

Had to iron out the finer details, like a Simpsons caricature apparently.

Good shit Dogs.

angelopetraglia
07-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Two more years for Libba. Love. Love. Love..

dadsgirl16
07-07-2021, 06:20 PM
Yay!!!

bornadog
07-07-2021, 06:27 PM
Has been terrific this year, well deserved

The Doctor
07-07-2021, 07:16 PM
Made my day.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2021, 07:21 PM
Could’ve demanded a third on a trigger. Seems this bunch of players aren’t complete money hungry mercenaries. Playing for the club and each other toward a shared goal while still getting well paid well. This is a very happy club.

Very happy about almost everything right now. This is just overdrive of happiness.

Eastdog
07-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Great news. He is having great year once again.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 08:55 PM
It's awesome news. Libba is going from strength to strength, and I'm loving that he's having an impact forward of the centre and snagging a few goals, impacting the game with his kicking which is excellent when he wants it to be.

KT31
07-07-2021, 09:11 PM
Great news, Libba is Doggies through and through.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-07-2021, 09:26 PM
Huge news and extremely pleased with it. The club just looks so well organised and in control.

Dry Rot
07-07-2021, 09:27 PM
So - when do we officially become uncomfortable about our new potential superstar small forward being unsigned for 2022?

Give Weightman a fair deal for 5 years and throw in a cow each year, and he is ours.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 10:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss3clV1mjhM&ab_channel=WesternBulldogs

Ghost Dog
08-07-2021, 12:41 AM

1eyedog
08-07-2021, 12:50 AM
Deserved the two.

Ghost Dog
08-07-2021, 02:16 AM
Why Tom Liberatore is the AFL's most underrated player (https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/04/23/why-tom-liberatore-is-the-afls-most-underrated-player/)

Not sure if this was posted.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Great news.

Libba has to be one of the most loved players we've had.

Bulldog4life
08-07-2021, 10:59 AM
Fantastic news. Seems to love a goal now too which is great as he is a reliable kick for goal.

bornadog
15-07-2021, 06:04 PM
DOGS LOOK TO BUMPER 2022 CONTRACTS

HAVING re-signed priority players Marcus Bontempelli and Tom Liberatore to new deals, the Western Bulldogs will start to focus their attention on locking in their group of key players coming out of contract at the end of next year.

The premiership contenders have a group of vital players whose deals expire at the end of 2022, including ruckman Tim English, midfielder Josh Dunkley and Therabody AFL All-Australian pair Jack Macrae and Caleb Daniel, who will hit free agency next year.

Bulldogs list boss Sam Power said with Bontempelli and Liberatore signed up the club could shift its mind to locking away some of its key pillars.

"We'll really start to turn our attention to those guys for 2022 now," Power told the Road to the Draft podcast.

"For different reasons some just take longer. Some have different focuses, some players are more willing to go a lot earlier, others turn their attention to it at the end of the season.

"For all of those guys and some others coming out [of contract], everyone is in a really good headspace at the moment. Everyone can see where we're going and the environment that the players and coaches are setting up is fantastic and it's a really good club to be around. We're really confident with all of those guys over time we'll be able to work through those contracts."

Dunkley's trade bid to head to Essendon last year failed but the Bulldogs expect the 24-year-old to be at Whitten Oval next year.

"All the conversations with Josh and with his management have been really positive with how he's going so there's nothing to suggest there that he would look and we've got confidence and definitely want him to be a Bulldogs player for a long time," Power said.

The club is in talks to extend first-round draftee Cody Weightman's deal after his impressive run of form in the forward line, while Power said the Dogs were keen to retain out-of-contract trio Patrick Lipinski, Lewis Young and Mitch Wallis, with all being in and out of the senior side throughout the year.

"They're three players that we want to retain and we see as having really bright futures at the football club. Hopefully over the course of the back end of the year we work towards that," he said. – Callum Twomey

DOG GOD
15-07-2021, 06:18 PM
Interesting to see what he says about Wallis, Lippa and Young. Maybe he’s trying to talk them up as wanted players when other clubs come calling.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2021, 06:34 PM
Interesting to see what he says about Wallis, Lippa and Young. Maybe he’s trying to talk them up as wanted players when other clubs come calling.

That’s exactly what he’s doing.

Axe Man
16-07-2021, 04:05 PM
Garcia, Butler re-sign (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/980010/?fbclid=IwAR3b9E0HiTTGSLfquL6WDzHVGasYKYDwDNYR0mtoPHBFdWxCuW-9PQxOoB0)

Emerging duo Riley Garcia and Louis Butler have signed one-year contract extensions with the Western Bulldogs.

The 2019 draftees have each had a taste at senior level across their first two years and have recommitted until the end of 2022.

“We’ve been pleased with what we’ve seen from Riley and Louis in the early stages of their careers as Bulldogs,” General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said.

“They handled the challenges of a different first year in the system – in the Gold Coast hub – really well and have continued to develop nicely this season.”

Garcia, 20, made his AFL debut in round 11 against Melbourne and has played four AFL games.

The tough, inside midfielder was recruited by the Bulldogs with pick 62 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

“Riley has overcome some challenges with injury and it’s been great to see him get a run of games under his belt,” Power said.

“He is competitive, clean below his knees and has played some strong VFL football to force his way into the AFL side.”

Butler has played one senior game in 2021 – as the medical sub – after playing two games in 2020, including his debut in round four.

The 19-year-old was drafted as a defender with pick 53 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft and has developed on a wing this season.

“Louis has displayed some consistent VFL form in 2021,” Power said.

“He’s only had the one senior opportunity so far this year but has spent more time on a wing and impressed with his ability to cover the ground, win a lot of the ball and hit the scoreboard.”

bulldogtragic
16-07-2021, 04:28 PM
Happy with these signings too. One year extensions perfect as well.

DOG GOD
16-07-2021, 05:22 PM
Happy as well. One year extensions for VFL based players is about right.

Axe Man
20-07-2021, 06:20 PM
Cody banks two more years (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/983699/?fbclid=IwAR2Azk4juAAWlcAR9LyCtlSz5STYEvgVUcwuz8J7eJyWPYzRjI d3lAWubZk)

https://i.postimg.cc/KckRJ03T/Weightman-Extension-1920x1080-ART.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Small forward Cody Weightman has re-signed with the Western Bulldogs until the end of 2023.

The 20-year-old has committed to a two-year contract extension on the back of some impressive form at AFL level.

Weightman has kicked 16 goals from nine matches this season, adding another element to the Bulldogs’ forward mix.

He made his AFL debut in 2020 – playing three games in his first year – after joining the Bulldogs with pick 15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

“I’m really excited to be part of this group and it’s great to have another couple of years locked in,” Weightman said.

“We’re building something special and growing as a group. That’s allowing me to develop as an individual and as a player – I’m playing with confidence and feel like this group is helping to bring out the best in me.

“I was able to spend time developing as a player in the VFL earlier this year and our program made sure I was ready for when I got my shot at AFL level.

“I feel like I’m making the most of my opportunity at the moment and hopefully I can keep doing that.”

Weightman earned a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in round 10 this year, kicking two goals from 14 disposals against St Kilda.

His 16 goals see him sitting behind only Josh Bruce (41), Aaron Naughton (34) and Marcus Bontempelli (21) for scoreboard impact at the Bulldogs this season.

“Cody has started to establish himself as a dangerous forward at AFL level and we’re really excited about his future,” General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said.

“He got a taste of senior football last season in what was a challenging year to be a first-year player and made some great strides with his development at VFL level in the early stages of 2021.

“Cody came into the AFL side ready to make an impact. His strengths are his goal sense, pressure game and aerial abilities – particularly for his size. Those skills have complemented the players around him and have added to the potency of our forward line.”

comrade
20-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Some welcome good news this week.

KT31
20-07-2021, 06:24 PM
Great news, Cody’s enthusiasm and skill are a huge plus for us.

Eastdog
20-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Great news! I have really liked how Cody has gone this season. Lots to be excited about.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 06:58 PM
Place your bets. Was he smiling when he signed it?

KT31
20-07-2021, 07:02 PM
The Smiling Assassin 2.:D:D:D:D

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 07:08 PM
Players Left:

Maybe?

Ed Richards (Every week he doesn’t sign, confidence of keeping him drops)

Gone, Traded?

Mitch Wallis
Pat Lipinski
Lewis Young

Gone, Gone?

Will Hayes
Ben Cavarra
Lin Jong
Stef Martin (Retired)

Later Signatures?

Taylor Duryea
Zaine Cordy
Anthony Scott
Buku Khamis (R) (Needs Upgrading)
Jordan Sweet (R) (Needs Upgrading)
Roarke Smith (R)

azabob
20-07-2021, 07:30 PM
BT, I wouldn’t be too worried about Richards not signing yet. He has missed a huge chunk of the year.

He is best 22 I can only see him leaving for a huge offer.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 07:37 PM
BT, I wouldn’t be too worried about Richards not signing yet. He has missed a huge chunk of the year.

I was a little concerned when North & Brisbane told The Age they were after him. The Age said other clubs were too. From Bont to Gardner, Sam Power has been signing the players up. You’d hope as of today he’d sign, but it’s a fair bet we’ve given an offer to his manager along with the other clubs. But he hasn’t signed. I think if this drags on, it gives more times for other clubs to pitch a trade, and with that goes the risk increasing he leaves.

But here’s hoping he signs soon.

GVGjr
20-07-2021, 07:41 PM

Agreed, he doesn't appear to out of our best 22 for the selectors so there might only be two reasons why he might consider leaving
1) He's not happy with the positions he is being asked to play and that doesn't appear likely.
2) An overs offer from another club which is possible but more likely to come from a non contending club.

I like our chances of keeping him.

azabob
20-07-2021, 07:42 PM
I was a little concerned when North & Brisbane told The Age they were after him. The Age said other clubs were too. From Bont to Gardner, Sam Power has been signing the players up. You’d hope as of today he’d sign, but it’s a fair bet we’ve given an offer to his manager along with the other clubs. But he hasn’t signed. I think if this drags on, it gives more times for other clubs to pitch a trade, and with that goes the risk increasing he leaves.

But here’s hoping he signs soon.

I wouldn’t sign either if I wasn’t able to perform. I reckon he’s backing himself in to play good footy and eek out a few more $.

jeemak
20-07-2021, 07:49 PM

BT clearly has it in for poor old Ed! ;)

This is a great resource this thread, hardly ever gets a mention.........

Fantastic news re Cody, he's awesome.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 07:50 PM
I wouldn’t sign either if I wasn’t able to perform. I reckon he’s backing himself in to play good footy and eek out a few more $.

Absolutely a strong possibility. With confirmation multiple clubs are strongly after him, he might be a good chance to chance to leave too. I hope you are 100% right about the delay, but if he keeps spoiling uncontested marks to Keath that leads to goals, he might be playing for meals and board! :D

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 07:51 PM
BT clearly has it in for poor old Ed! ;)

This is a great resource this thread, hardly ever gets a mention.........

Fantastic news re Cody, he's awesome.

Oh, start a ‘Trade Richards’ thread you say…. :D

The Doctor
20-07-2021, 07:56 PM

100%

He'd best wait til he gets into some decent form. Hopefully has a good finals series and put himself in a good negotiating position.

Dogs would we keen to retain him for sure on suitable terms but would also identify him as our most valuable trade asset among the uncontracted players.

It might well be in the best interests of both parties to wait.

jeemak
20-07-2021, 08:04 PM
Oh, start a ‘Trade Richards’ thread you say…. :D

Not sure it'll make it to 150 pages but it'll be a passionate discussion nonetheless!

Axe Man
20-07-2021, 08:09 PM

I seem to remember back when he was out injured him saying something along the lines of wanting to wait until he was back playing before he even thought about his contract.

Absolutely a strong possibility. With confirmation multiple clubs are strongly after him, he might be a good chance to chance to leave too. I hope you are 100% right about the delay, but if he keeps spoiling uncontested marks to Keath that leads to goals, he might be playing for meals and board! :D

Confirmation or speculation?

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 08:14 PM
The Age
Jake Niall
5 May 2021

North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions are among the clubs who are eyeing talented Western Bulldog Ed Richards, who is coming out of contract this year.

Industry sources said the Lions had been scouting Richards as a player who might fit their needs and that North Melbourne have been considering him as a potential out-of-contract recruit.

A number of other clubs have the running defender and wingman on their radar. The Bulldogs are aware of rival clubs’ interest.

Richards is recovering from a broken leg that he suffered in a VFL practice match against Collingwood on the same day of the Dogs’ first-round clash with the Magpies and is not expected to resume until the second half of this season - perhaps another month.

Sources familiar with Richards’ situation said he did not want to progress any contract discussions until he returned to play after a lengthy stint on the sidelines – a position that the Bulldogs are comfortable with.

Richards is seen by rival clubs as a natural half-back, but he can also play wing. He had an impressive debut season in 2018, when he played 21 out of 22 games (making his debut in round two) and was touted as a prospective star but did not make the leap forward in 2020 that might have been expected in his third season, when he played 17 games.

Richards did not make the senior side for the opening game and there’s clearly a view among other clubs that he could be gettable in the trade period, depending on how he fares this season.

For the Lions, there is a need for a running defender given former Hawk Grant Birchall, a valuable addition, is near the end of his distinguished career.

North Melbourne will be well-placed to land an out-of-contract player this year, due to their salary cap room and expected position on the bottom of the ladder (which opens up the pre-season draft as a recruiting lever), although the Roos are committed to a draft-first strategy and unlikely to trade any early picks.

Richards was rated highly by Carlton and Collingwood prior to the 2017 national draft and was a candidate to be picked early by those clubs but the Bulldogs snared him at pick 16.

One of Richards’ issues has been the surfeit of teammates at Whitten Oval who are well suited to playing across half-back. Caleb Daniel, who acts as a playmaker behind the ball, Bailey Williams (who is injured), Hayden Crozier, veteran Easton Wood and Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen are all capable across half-back and on occasion Richards has been forced to play in other positions, or pushed out of the side.

Patrick Lipinski is another Bulldog coming out of contract who has been on the fringes of regular selection due to the club’s relatively strong depth of talent.

While Lipinski will be looked at by other clubs, he is close to housemates and teammates Aaron Naughton and Tim English and is a lifelong Bulldogs supporter.

Axe Man
20-07-2021, 08:23 PM
Lol. I am familiar with the reports, but anything by the media is speculation. May be true, may not be. If true may be mild interest, may be strong.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2021, 08:32 PM
Lol. I am familiar with the reports, but anything by the media is speculation. May be true, may not be. If true may be mild interest, may be strong.

This seems to have a little more meat on the bones than the afel.com article tonight saying Lipinski & Richards are attracting interest.

Niall isn’t know for making up sources like Tom Browne. Niall seems to have insight on what Brisbane are doing as well as what North’s strategy is and knowing Richards perspective and the club being aware of it all. He left out naming the others which takes restraint in this day and age. As I say, I hope Richards signs absolutely. But I’m not prepared dismiss what seems like a fair summation of things which could result in him staying or going. If he wants plenty of games to drive his price up to us, he’s running short on time.

bornadog
20-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Great to see Cody sign for two more years. He has really started to cement himself in that small forward role.

jeemak
21-07-2021, 01:55 AM
This seems to have a little more meat on the bones than the afel.com article tonight saying Lipinski & Richards are attracting interest.

Niall isn’t know for making up sources like Tom Browne. Niall seems to have insight on what Brisbane are doing as well as what North’s strategy is and knowing Richards perspective and the club being aware of it all. He left out naming the others which takes restraint in this day and age. As I say, I hope Richards signs absolutely. But I’m not prepared dismiss what seems like a fair summation of things which could result in him staying or going. If he wants plenty of games to drive his price up to us, he’s running short on time.

But that also goes for his opportunity to run his value up in the open market. Just looking at his productivity, in particular his disposal efficiency he's going to be making sure serious questions are asked in that short time:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6466&pid2=6466&fid1=S&fid2=C

I get it's only three games, but a jump of 14% in disposal efficiency smacks of someone who has had an opportunity to think about his game a bit, practice skills and use a bit of maturity to improve.

As far as Ed being a keeper your talk is cheap BT, you consider him a linchpin in all of your Machiavellian trading scenarios and you'll stop at nothing to ensure public perception (well, on WOOF and in Jake Niall's comments sections anyway) of Richard's availability suits them.

We'll continue to keep a close eye on your endeavours and escapades.

bornadog
21-07-2021, 10:29 AM
https://youtu.be/5HgkK-DNbII

The Doctor
22-07-2021, 08:09 AM
Duryea set to sign a one year deal

https://www.afl.com.au/news/651360/out-of-contract-saint-keen-to-stay-crows-table-offer-to-free-agent

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-07-2021, 08:12 AM

https://www.afl.com.au/news/651360/out-of-contract-saint-keen-to-stay-crows-table-offer-to-free-agent

Good news. He's elevated his game this year and has been so reliable.

bulldogtragic
22-07-2021, 08:17 AM

In my finest Gunnery Sergeant Hartman voice, OUTSTANDING!

If Wood got two, I would’ve been happy to give him two as well. Not many ‘must signs’ now. I know Jeemak wants to push out Richards, but we need stop him.

azabob
22-07-2021, 08:55 AM
In my finest Gunnery Sergeant Hartman voice, OUTSTANDING!

If Wood got two, I would’ve been happy to give him two as well. Not many ‘must signs’ now. I know Jeemak wants to push out Richards, but we need stop him.

Well if truth be told Jeemak wanted Duryea out also until recently... it's only natural he moves onto his next target.

jeemak
22-07-2021, 12:49 PM
Well if truth be told Jeemak wanted Duryea out also until recently... it's only natural he moves onto his next target.

This isn't untrue. He's turned me around though.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 10:55 AM

Now missing a half last night and missing next week. He’s running out of time to drive his price up. He should just sign now, for another good news story heading into finals. We know what his capabilities are. They’re very good.

azabob
25-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Now missing a half last night and missing next week. He’s running out of time to drive his price up. He should just sign now, for another good news story heading into finals. We know what his capabilities are. They’re very good.

On exposed form compared to last year he’s improved.

As a list manager I think you trying to pressure Ed into signing isn’t the right move.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 01:39 PM
On exposed form compared to last year he’s improved.

As a list manager I think you trying to pressure Ed into signing isn’t the right move.

So you and Jeemak want him traded. I knew it.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2021, 02:12 PM
Ed will sign - was playing well last night. He’s not blue chip yet though.

GVGjr
25-07-2021, 02:26 PM
Ed will sign - was playing well last night. He’s not blue chip yet though.

I think that works in our favour. We have probably been playing him out of position as well but he appears to be a settled player for us.

azabob
25-07-2021, 02:30 PM
So you and Jeemak want him traded. I knew it.

In all seriousness I don’t think we should trade any players unless they ask to be traded.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2021, 03:19 PM
In all seriousness I don’t think we should trade any players unless they ask to be traded.

I completely agree. The exception being a Stringer type scenario. Plus you can do it without doing it. Such as Dahl getting a two year, not much money offer.

bornadog
25-07-2021, 03:33 PM
I think that works in our favour. We have probably been playing him out of position as well but he appears to be a settled player for us.

Ed has taken over the role that JJ use to have. Great opportunity for him to consolidate in the role.

1eyedog
26-07-2021, 01:37 PM
Ed has taken over the role that JJ use to have. Great opportunity for him to consolidate in the role.

It's clear that when fit he already has. He defends so much better than JJ, provides a good option through the middle of the ground by working hard and is also able to springboard us forward effectively as well. Becoming a very good player.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2021, 02:17 PM
It's clear that when fit he already has. He defends so much better than JJ, provides a good option through the middle of the ground by working hard and is also able to springboard us forward effectively as well. Becoming a very good player.

An underrated strength of his which I mentioned a while back is his ability to win 1-v-1's and even 1-v-2's, he's deceptively very strong and with his pace he can really break away from trouble.

Axe Man
03-08-2021, 06:08 PM
Scott’s success story continues (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/993636?fbclid=IwAR2xviV3vwVvg1GD9sncVu88QkEXrS_3-pqcDxnG4vd1vkbyd6iBm7MbTIA)

Mature-aged recruit Anthony Scott has been rewarded for his sensational debut season with a two-year contract extension.

The 26-year-old joined the Western Bulldogs in February this year – through the AFL’s pre-season supplementary selection period – after training with the senior squad over summer.

Scott won Footscray’s VFL best-and-fairest in 2019 and had been elevated to the vice-captaincy for 2020, before the VFL season was cancelled.

He made his AFL debut in the opening round of 2021, has missed just one game for the year and is now locked in at the Kennel until the end of 2023.

“Two more years at the Dogs is incredibly exciting,” Scott said.

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this year so far. To know that I’m going to be here for another two years is great peace of mind and also extra motivation to continue to work hard and make the most of the opportunity I’ve been given.

“At the start of this year, I just would have been happy to make the list and one thing’s led to another.

“I always had the inner belief that I was good enough to play at the level, but until you actually get there you never really know how you’re going to go. I always wanted to put my best foot forward and play AFL footy and that’s what I’ve been able to do.”

Scott has featured across all three lines this season, kicking nine goals from his 18 AFL matches.

He is one of four players on the Bulldogs’ list to have come through Footscray’s VFL program – alongside Ryan Gardner, Mitch Hannan and Will Hayes.

“Anthony has certainly taken his opportunity with both hands this season,” General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said.

“His versatility and team-first mindset has made him a really valuable member of our senior side.

“Anthony has played some important roles across all three lines throughout the season. He started the year across half back, has played a large portion of the season as a pressure forward and has also run through the midfield at times.

“It’s another great example of our VFL program preparing players for the highest level, but also a real testament to Anthony’s drive and perseverance to be an AFL footballer.”

hujsh
03-08-2021, 06:36 PM
Thats a real tick of approval from the club. Hopefully it's not one we look back on a shake our head at in 2 years

comrade
03-08-2021, 06:44 PM
Thats a real tick of approval from the club. Hopefully it's not one we look back on a shake our head at in 2 years

Reckon he would have signed on a pretty small deal, you need players like him to fill out a squad providing good value relative to the cap space they take up.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2021, 06:59 PM
Players Left:

Maybe?

Ed Richards (still unsigned)

Gone, Traded?

Mitch Wallis
Pat Lipinski
Lewis Young

Gone, Gone?

Will Hayes
Ben Cavarra
Lin Jong (Retired)
Stef Martin (Retired - just 6.5 games this H&A season)

Later Signatures?

Taylor Duryea (apparently on its way)
Zaine Cordy
Roarke Smith (R)

Looks pretty much as you expected it might from the start of the year to now. Just Richards as the hold out at this stage. So not too bad.

azabob
03-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Players Left:

Maybe?

Ed Richards (still unsigned)

Gone, Traded?

Mitch Wallis
Pat Lipinski
Lewis Young

Gone, Gone?

Will Hayes
Ben Cavarra
Lin Jong (Retired)
Stef Martin (Retired - just 6.5 games this H&A season)

Later Signatures?

Taylor Duryea (apparently on its way)
Zaine Cordy
Roarke Smith (R)

Looks pretty much as you expected it might from the start of the year to now. Just Richards as the hold out at this stage. So not too bad.

I think Khamis will struggle to get a new deal of any sort.

If Schache continues his improvement I also think Young will be not offered a new deal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-08-2021, 11:39 AM
Just saw on FB that Lin Jong has retired. No details supplied just a post from the Dogs saying Lin Jong has called time.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-08-2021, 02:26 PM
Just couldn’t get his body right

comrade
05-08-2021, 07:07 PM
https://i.ibb.co/vxh2QLb/E8-Amx5-Vo-AMWm-Ug.jpg (https://ibb.co/6R861D2)

The Doctor
05-08-2021, 07:13 PM
wooohoooo go Marra

1eyedog
05-08-2021, 07:14 PM
Massive signing. HUGE. Dodo just vomited in his mouth.

ratsmac
05-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Great news. Marra has showed great signs for a young KPF coupled with the pressure of the number 1 tag as well. Super talent

Happy Days
05-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Where’s that mark Sam Edmund at?

Axe Man
05-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Two more for Ugle-Hagan (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/994251/two-more-for-ugle-hagan)

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan has signed on with the Western Bulldogs for two more years.

The 19-year-old key forward – last year’s number one draft pick – has extended his contract at the Kennel until the end of 2024.

Ugle-Hagan made his AFL debut in round 17 against Sydney and has now played four consecutive games at the level, kicking six goals.

He said it was an easy decision to recommit to the Bulldogs.

“It’s an unreal moment and I’m excited to re-sign for another two years,” Ugle-Hagan said.

“I’ve got time to develop as a player and person on and off the field, so it’s good to stay around at the Kennel. They gave me the opportunity to come here in the first place and I’d love to give back to the club.

“It still doesn’t feel real (playing AFL), I’m still getting used to the team around me. You watch these guys on TV and now you’re playing with them.

“It was a massive step up. With not playing a game (last year), I had to get my game fitness up which obviously affected my start of the year.

“It’s a good thing that I played VFL, because I know I’ve got room to improve. Obviously Bevo knew what he was doing and put me in the twos for a while… I’ve developed, got better and now I’m playing (AFL) which is good.”

Ugle-Hagan was the Bulldogs’ first number one draft pick since Brownlow Medal winner Adam Cooney (2003) and the first Indigenous player taken at number one since Des Headland (1998).

He is a product of the Bulldogs’ Next Generation Academy and hails from Framlingham, an Indigenous community near Warrnambool in south-west Victoria.

Ugle-Hagan’s draft year was interrupted by Covid – and he spent the first half of this season playing for Footscray in the VFL, kicking 13 goals from seven games to earn an AFL call-up.

“We’ve been really pleased with Jamarra’s development over the course of the season,” General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said.

“He didn’t play any football last year and has worked extremely hard to build his fitness base, develop his game through the VFL and break into a strong AFL team.

“Jamarra has shown plenty of encouraging signs at AFL level. His athleticism, agility and marking ability have been on display, and he’s made the most of his opportunities in front of goal.

“We’re excited to have him locked in until the end of 2024 and look forward to watching him develop.”

Axe Man
05-08-2021, 07:36 PM
Just like we went from donut day to lockdown in 24 hours we have gone from JUH being traded at the end of this year to locked away until 2024. :cool:

Grantysghost
05-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Just like we went from donut day to lockdown in 24 hours we have gone from JUH being traded at the end of this year to locked away until 2024. :cool:

Axeman, never has anyone entered my consciousness like you managed with that post ;)

comrade
05-08-2021, 07:48 PM
https://i.ibb.co/8md1QTf/E8-Ax9-MVc-AAs-Bp4.jpg (https://ibb.co/hgZ3Th4)

Love this.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2021, 08:04 PM
Great signature to get. Thata boy Marra.

bornadog
05-08-2021, 08:09 PM
Great to see Marra commit

bulldogtragic
05-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Hey Jeemak, all these signatures including Marra, Libba, Bont, Flea, Garcia down to Gardner and Butler. Are we missing anyone? I think so, but I can’t put a finger on it. I must be over excited from all this Simply Red I’m listening to.

azabob
05-08-2021, 08:18 PM
Hey Jeemak, all these signatures including Marra, Libba, Bont, Flea, Garcia down to Gardner and Butler. Are we missing anyone? I think so, but I can’t put a finger on it. I must be over excited from all this Simply Red I’m listening to.

Some serious schadenfreude on your part hoping that Richards leaves.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2021, 08:25 PM
Some serious schadenfreude on your part hoping that Richards leaves.

Power moved onto Marra who still had a year to run. Afel.com says Doc is also imminent as it’s progressed well. The only one good player outstanding is Ed. It started with he wanted to get back before anything. Now end of the year. When everyone else is signing, I do wonder. Just sign the bloody extension Ed.

Eastdog
05-08-2021, 10:46 PM
Great News re-signing Marra! No more trade rumours!

Vred
12-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Zaine Cordy has hit a contract trigger and has extended for another year.

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Zaine Cordy has hit a trigger for a one-year contract extension which will tie him to the club until the end of 2022.
Cordy was due to come out of contract but has recently quietly extended his deal by an extra year which will take him through to being a free agent next season.
The premiership player last re-signed with the club in 2018 for a three-year deal which was due to expire this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/663027/tigers-free-agent-set-for-new-deal-premiership-dog-hits-trigger

comrade
12-08-2021, 09:58 AM

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Zaine Cordy has hit a trigger for a one-year contract extension which will tie him to the club until the end of 2022.
Cordy was due to come out of contract but has recently quietly extended his deal by an extra year which will take him through to being a free agent next season.
The premiership player last re-signed with the club in 2018 for a three-year deal which was due to expire this year.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/663027/tigers-free-agent-set-for-new-deal-premiership-dog-hits-trigger

Phew!

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Phew!

Just saying new rules allow Power to move players with contracts for 2022 to be moved to the rookie list, between the ND & RD.

bornadog
12-08-2021, 10:26 AM

Good news

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Just saying new rules allow Power to move players with contracts for 2022 to be moved to the rookie list, between the ND & RD.

There's not a chance in hell Cordy is moved to the rookie list.

Of the remaining players out of contract at year end only Duryea is almost certain to re-sign. The rest are all potential trade/delist candidates.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 11:01 AM
There's not a chance in hell Cordy is moved to the rookie list.

Of the remaining players out of contract at year end only Duryea is almost certain to re-sign. The rest are all potential trade/delist candidates.

Gotta have a dream. Get a great KPD in trade and Cordy down. Don’t rob me of that.

Just the rookies and Doc. AFL.com reckons that’s not far off with Doc either. Power has moved quickly the last 6 weeks. So you’re saying Ed is a trade candidate… Now for Aza & Jeemak. :D

Axe Man
12-08-2021, 11:14 AM
So you’re saying Ed is a trade candidate… Now for Aza & Jeemak. :D

I was thinking delist...

Just kidding, I think Ed will likely stay and Sweet as well, but they aren't certainties like Doc. The others all have question marks of varying sizes.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 11:16 AM
I was thinking delist...

Just kidding, I think Ed will likely stay and Sweet as well, but they aren't certainties like Doc. The others all have question marks of varying sizes.

I reckon with the fourth year rookie rules hopefully we hold onto Gardner, Khamis & Sweet on the RL with Roarke. Make the most of an advantageous rule change.

soupman
12-08-2021, 01:27 PM
I like the guy but is Khamis worthy of another year, even if its on the rookie list?

Hes 3 seasons through now, virtually all uninjured, sure with a lot of interruptions due to covid but he doesn't appear to be coming on in leaps and bounds. His one game he has gotten he barely played the second half of.

I know when he arrived he was gonns be a long term proposition but in 3 years he has had maybe a 3 week period where he has even been in the mix. Is he going to take a step next year where he actually becomes a viable option for 10+ games or will it be a 4th year we sink into him for basically zero return?

Happy Days
12-08-2021, 01:31 PM
Agree. I was pretty excited for Buku but he looked a mile off in his debut game, and that he hasn’t really been close to a game since is not a great sign.

If he gets re-rookied then that’s fine but I’m not set on him staying.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 01:33 PM
I like the guy but is Khamis worthy of another year, even if its on the rookie list?

Hes 3 seasons through now, virtually all uninjured, sure with a lot of interruptions due to covid but he doesn't appear to be coming on in leaps and bounds. His one game he has gotten he barely played the second half of.

I know when he arrived he was gonns be a long term proposition but in 3 years he has had maybe a 3 week period where he has even been in the mix. Is he going to take a step next year where he actually becomes a viable option for 10+ games or will it be a 4th year we sink into him for basically zero return?

With Wood likely retired next year and Crozier not the answer. I think he’s player to persist with. I’ve liked a lot of games this year in the VFL. And Cat B, he’s not taking a list spot. I’m happy with the risk/reward to keep him (using the new 4th year rookie rule).

Rocco Jones
12-08-2021, 01:33 PM
Yeah I think Buku is a rookie. Some progress slowly. He is improving. Low base.

comrade
12-08-2021, 01:55 PM

I don’t like keeping on guys with no clear pathway for them to play like Hayes and Cavarra but I think Buku is worth another year given his (admittedly slow) development and in a position of need (Wood/Crozier mid defender replacement).

soupman
12-08-2021, 05:51 PM
I don’t like keeping on guys with no clear pathway for them to play like Hayes and Cavarra but I think Buku is worth another year given his (admittedly slow) development and in a position of need (Wood/Crozier mid defender replacement).

I'm fine with keeping him, especially if he is cat b, but we need to actually want to play him. The two guys you listed have missed a bunch of games this year anyway, so if that's his role then there's been a spot for him. What are we waiting for him to show before we try him there, and why will he offer that next year but not this one?

We are great at producing players but we could find even more if we were prepared to cut blokes who we have no interest in playing. Khamis may yet be a superstar, but I dare say that players that don't feature in their first 3 years on a list don't turn out to be AFL footballers basically 100% of the time. Would be really curious of examples to the contrary (maybe ruckmen, I think Reilly O'Brien qualifies).

azabob
12-08-2021, 07:24 PM
Gotta have a dream. Get a great KPD in trade and Cordy down. Don’t rob me of that.

Just the rookies and Doc. AFL.com reckons that’s not far off with Doc either. Power has moved quickly the last 6 weeks. So you’re saying Ed is a trade candidate… Now for Aza & Jeemak. :D

Interestingly Richards dropped…

jeemak
12-08-2021, 08:01 PM

It's a decoy, he'll be the medical sub.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2021, 09:22 PM

It's a decoy, he'll be the medical sub.

If you guys just got with the program he wouldn’t be leaving. Look what you’ve done… He’s played every game when available…

I’ve tried my best to get his signature but I give up now. Now you’ve made Sam Power go cap in hand to Collingwood with Ed, a first rounder and covering more of Treloar for Darcy Moore.

1eyedog
13-08-2021, 07:37 AM
If you guys just got with the program he wouldn’t be leaving. Look what you’ve done… He’s played every game when available…

I’ve tried my best to get his signature but I give up now. Now you’ve made Sam Power go cap in hand to Collingwood with Ed, a first rounder and covering more of Treloar for Darcy Moore.

Where's the doted line? I'd do anything for Darcy Moore but it ain't never gonna happen unfortunately.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Where's the doted line? I'd do anything for Darcy Moore but it ain't never gonna happen unfortunately.

A bit of throw away line, but he’s the perfect type for us if we could do it. The more serious question is, what is Ed worth as a draft pick? Or, what is he worth in a player trade packaged with a first rounder?

He may sign, I hope he does. But it’s Round 22, no signature and not playing seniors. I think we should think about what happens if he doesn’t sign.

The Adelaide Connection
18-08-2021, 02:00 AM

I saw this pop up on Facespace (one of those Trade rumour groups posted to one of the Bulldogs forums):

NEW BEGINNINGS:
Ed Richards is getting significant interest from other clubs, halting his negotiations with the bulldogs
Ed has been courted by North Melbourne and Brisbane all year, with Collingwood entering the frame in the last month
Struggling to break into the bulldogs Side on a regular basis, he has been promised more game time elsewhere, and will make the call during the next couple weeks on which way to go.

The bulldogs have notified his management, if Ed decides to pursue opportunities elsewhere, he will not feature in the bulldogs finals campaign and will be told to leave immediately, similar situation to Aidan Corr last year and leaving to the roos, having his tenure cut short at gws and not being able to play further games into the backend of the season

FrediKanoute
18-08-2021, 02:50 AM
I saw this pop up on Facespace (one of those Trade rumour groups posted to one of the Bulldogs forums):

NEW BEGINNINGS:
Ed Richards is getting significant interest from other clubs, halting his negotiations with the bulldogs
Ed has been courted by North Melbourne and Brisbane all year, with Collingwood entering the frame in the last month
Struggling to break into the bulldogs Side on a regular basis, he has been promised more game time elsewhere, and will make the call during the next couple weeks on which way to go.

The bulldogs have notified his management, if Ed decides to pursue opportunities elsewhere, he will not feature in the bulldogs finals campaign and will be told to leave immediately, similar situation to Aidan Corr last year and leaving to the roos, having his tenure cut short at gws and not being able to play further games into the backend of the season

Fair enough. Can't have him as a distraction.

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 10:16 AM

NEW BEGINNINGS:

I don't really believe that for a number of reasons. Obviously the source for one. For two he has never really struggled to break into the side on a regular basis, he has almost always been selected when fit. I also don't see why a team in premiership contention would not pick a player even if they were sure he was going to leave.

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 10:31 AM
I don't really believe that for a number of reasons. Obviously the source for one. For two he has never really struggled to break into the side on a regular basis, he has almost always been selected when fit. I also don't see why a team in premiership contention would not pick a player even if they were sure he was going to leave.

It's interesting that when Harbrow was leaving the consensus on here was we should play him and of course we were in contention.
When Ward hadn't signed and we weren't in contention and the consensus on here was that we shouldn't play him unless he committed to us.

I tend to think we should pick players largely based on form but but it looks like other components are considered at the end of the season.

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 01:12 PM
TALL TIM HOLDS OFF CONTRACT TALKS (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-follow-all-the-latest-trade-contract-and-draft-news-across-the-afl/news-story/76f1aec4b328eebc589de33820ac42c7)

Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English is keen to stay at the Kennel but talks on a new deal are expected to drift into next year after a moderate second half of the season.

English was concussed in Round 6, ironically by his good mate and housemate Aaron Naughton, and only returned in Round 11.

He hasn’t quite been himself since and recorded only a single hitout to advantage as the Dogs were smacked in close by Hawthorn on the weekend.

He loves Melbourne and has no plans to return to Perth but isn’t quite ready to sign up for the long-term deal that would push him past free agency.

Fair enough given a massive season next year would lift his market price.

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 05:16 PM
Duryea locked in for 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1003352/duryea-locked-in-for-2022?fbclid=IwAR20dBmLo9PH-bWohtMA02Qem7sAyLAqUUYDiIfxV_QHWbKZEVpGU2q3vLQ)

Experienced defender Taylor Duryea has recommitted to the Western Bulldogs for 2022.

The 30-year-old has been among the Bulldogs’ most consistent performers this season and has signed a one-year contract extension, taking him into a fourth season at the Kennel.

Duryea has played 20 of a possible 21 games at AFL level – being managed for one game – and averaged 18 disposals and 5.8 marks per game as an important member of the Bulldogs’ defensive group.

After playing just three games last year due to injury, he said he was relishing the continuity of being part of the Bulldogs’ line-up each week.

“I feel like a big part of the group now and I’m excited to be going around again next year,” Duryea said.

“This year, I feel like I’ve been pretty consistent and have been able to have an impact on and off the field, which is good.

“In my time at the club, I’ve seen how much this group has matured together.

“The core group of players have been together a while now and are the leaders of the club. It’s been great to see the growth of those guys and the younger boys coming through with their energy and adding that to the mix.

“I’m excited about being here for at least another year. This year has been really enjoyable - we’ve played some great footy and I want to keep being a part of that.”

Duryea joined the Bulldogs at the end of 2018 after featuring in two premierships and 118 AFL games at Hawthorn.

He has played 37 games across his three seasons in red, white and blue – including his 150th game earlier this year.

“Taylor has been a really important member of our side this season,” General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said.

“After his first two seasons at the Bulldogs were impacted by injury, he has been able to build some continuity and put together a consistent and impactful season.

“Taylor provides strong leadership and direction – both on and off the field – and has played some influential roles on dangerous opposition forwards across the season.

“We know Taylor will continue to have a big impact on this group moving forward.”

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 05:22 PM
Good signature. With these last lesser contracts done, and Marra who was up next year and Tim not signing early (ie we enquired) again from next years list, I’m feeling less and less confident Richards is staying. I genuinely hope I’m wrong.

Yeh Doc.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 05:51 PM
Another signing coming up? Who?

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 05:53 PM
Another signing coming up? Who?

Matt Suckling to return.

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 06:01 PM
I think he deserved a 2 year deal but lets take it as another good win

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 06:03 PM
Matt Suckling to return.

Baby don't hurt me no more.

Also, where'd this thread come from?

SquirrelGrip
https://i.postimg.cc/wMMff1Vr/16-BCD74-E-419-C-4-B27-B4-E6-921-C34254812.jpg (https://postimg.cc/D4VPmyRQ)

bornadog
Matt Suckling to return.

Don't tell EW :D

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 06:05 PM
Don't tell EW :D

It's ok. I know it's a joke.

Unlike the news that Zaine Cordy has just been offered a 5 year 600k a year extension.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 06:06 PM
It's ok. I know it's a joke.

Unlike the news that Zaine Cordy has just been offered a 5 year 600k a year extension.

I thought you couldn't find this thread :D

Zaine deserves it doesn't he

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 06:07 PM
Baby don't hurt me no more.

Also, where'd this thread come from?

It's amazing, any time the S word is muttered on WOOF it's like you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 06:09 PM
Ed Richards has signed a two-year contract extension with the Western Bulldogs.
(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1003359/richards-re-signs)

The 22-year-old, who was due to come out of contract at season’s end, is now locked in at VU Whitten Oval until the end of 2023.

Richards has played 63 AFL games since joining the Bulldogs with pick 16 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, missing just five matches across his first three seasons at the level.

He has played five AFL matches in 2021, after overcoming a pre-season ankle injury which saw him sidelined until round 15.

“It’s obviously great to put pen to paper on another two years at the Dogs,” Richards said.

“The boys, the coaches, everything at the club – I really love it here, so it was a pretty easy decision for me.

“When I first came to the club, I was at half-back and then I played some time on the wing and forward. I think I’ve been able to develop my game in different areas of the ground, which has been good and means I can fill different roles for the team.

“I’ve made great friends here and it’s a great place to be. We’ve got such a young list and we’re really exciting when we play well. We’ve had a good year and this group is something I want to keep being part of.”

Richards has primarily played across half-back this season, but also spent some time higher up the ground.

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said it was an important re-signing for the Bulldogs’ future.

“We’re excited to have Ed locked away as a Bulldog for two more years,” Power said.

“His speed, ability to cover the ground and open the game up with his rebound and run are attributes we rate highly.

“Ed only missed a handful of games across his first three years at AFL level, before working through some injury interruptions earlier this season to return to senior football.

“We know he has plenty of growth still to come in his game and a bright future here.”

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Didn't take long for the quite unlikely Richards Facebook rumour to be disproven.

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Beautiful! Love Ed.

bornadog
18-08-2021, 06:12 PM
Beautiful! Love Ed.

Now play him at HBF

EasternWest
18-08-2021, 06:17 PM
It's amazing, any time the S word is muttered on WOOF it's like you feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror.

There's not that many voices in my head, but that's the theme.

The S word to me is like when you say a list of words to a dog that just ignores you but as soon as you say "walk" they're in.

Didn't take long for the quite unlikely Richards Facebook rumour to be disproven.

Good. He's looked a different player since coming back from his injury. Happy he's committed.

jeemak
18-08-2021, 06:23 PM
This is great news. BT must be furiously scribbling on his chalk board now!

The Underdog
18-08-2021, 06:24 PM
Very happy with both of these signings. Doc has been an unexpected top 10 player for us this year and while he’s had his ups and downs, I really like what Ed brings to the table. Hope he gets a good injury free run on the HBF next year (or this one)

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 06:27 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/21I1WOUDnct4EmSNa6/giphy.gif

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 06:39 PM

So very happy with this outcome. No doubt others came for him, but I love he’s backed himself in to be in our best defence. I think with a hopeful injury free preseason he’s like a gun new recruit next year.

I doubted it would come, but so very, very happy it did.

GVGjr
18-08-2021, 06:55 PM
Beautiful! Love Ed.

Same here

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 07:00 PM
Power done the retaining aspect of List Management, been very busy the last couple of months. Now the trading and delisting:

Mitch Wallis (Free Agent)
Pat Lipinski (Trade)
Lewis Young (Trade)

Stef Martin (Retired?)

Roarke Smith (Rookie, likely stay)
Buku Khamis (Rookie, likely stay 4th Year)
Jordan Sweet (Rookie, 50/50, maybe stay 4th Year)
Will Hayes (Rookie, Delist)
Ben Cavarra (Rookie, Delist)

comrade
18-08-2021, 07:11 PM
Power done the retaining aspect of List Management, been very busy the last couple of months. Now the trading and delisting:

Pat Lipinski (Trade)
Lewis Young (Trade)

Got the deals done for the guys we should be keeping and I think it's odds on that these 3 will pursue opportunities elsewhere.

kruder
18-08-2021, 07:11 PM
There is a role for Ed at half back long term great to lock him in.

Oh and Doc been bloody excellent. Sam Power continues excel.

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 07:22 PM

Pat Lipinski (Trade)
Lewis Young (Trade)

Stef Martin (Retired?)

Only 4 primary list players (not counting Jong) uncontracted prior to the last round must be some sort of record.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 07:37 PM
Only 4 primary list players (not counting Jong) uncontracted prior to the last round must be some sort of record.

I reckon. He said in the Road To The Draft podcast he’s spending more time this year at live games. Plus all the contracts he’s been signing for this and next year. Presumably time into trade targets and player managers too. Maybe Sam Power doesn’t sleep?

FrediKanoute
18-08-2021, 08:10 PM

Appreciate that its moot now he has re-signed, but why would you gift a player a finals spot when you could give that to another equally capable player who is invested in the cause. Even if the skills gap is wide I would want 100% commitment to the cause.

azabob
18-08-2021, 08:25 PM
There is a role for Ed at half back long term great to lock him in.

Oh and Doc been bloody excellent. Sam Power continues excel.

Do you think Richards have the tools to make it as a wingman?

Grantysghost
18-08-2021, 08:26 PM
https://youtu.be/DrOd3Kld1H0

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Great news.

Ed is an important player moving forward.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2021, 09:09 PM
Like this. Good stuff.

G-Mo77
18-08-2021, 09:22 PM

Pat Lipinski (Trade)
Lewis Young (Trade)

Stef Martin (Retired?)

Did we fill the Sam Lloyd list spot? Didn't he retire after lists were lodged?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2021, 09:27 PM
Did we fill the Sam Lloyd list spot? Didn't he retire after lists were lodged?

Scott via SSP.

G-Mo77
18-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Scott via SSP.

I knew you'd answer quicker than I could find it via Google. Thanks ��

Axe Man
18-08-2021, 11:29 PM
Appreciate that its moot now he has re-signed, but why would you gift a player a finals spot when you could give that to another equally capable player who is invested in the cause. Even if the skills gap is wide I would want 100% commitment to the cause.

If it was a 50/50 choice, sure. But if a player that is in your best 22 is likely leaving why would damage your own chances of winning? It’s easy to have principles when there’s nothing on the line. Players are pros and teammates are much more understanding than fans generally are. I don’t think there are many sports in the world where this would even be a question.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 11:48 AM
A genuine question, please don’t read anything into it.

I thought we had a club rule that 30+ players get one year deals. Easton got two years last year. I’ve tried to find out why online and don’t have an answer. I wasn’t paying attention last year, so I don’t know. Why was Wood given 2 years?

bornadog
19-08-2021, 12:09 PM

I thought we had a club rule that 30+ players get one year deals. Easton got two years last year. I’ve tried to find out why online and don’t have an answer. I wasn’t paying attention last year, so I don’t know. Why was Wood given 2 years?

I think that rule is out the door. In the past very few players could play well when they reached 30 plus, but these days with better training, diet etc lots of players are playing into their early 30s. That is all I can think of.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 12:13 PM
I think that rule is out the door. In the past very few players could play well when they reached 30 plus, but these days with better training, diet etc lots of players are playing into their early 30s. That is all I can think of.

But Duryea is younger now, than Wood was last year. Doc just got a one year deal off the back of an outstanding season.

Mantis
19-08-2021, 12:16 PM
No idea why Easton received 2yrs.. maybe it was a loyalty thing due to being an ex-captain, but his body keeps failing him and his impact when playing is lessened. If not contracted for next year I'd be looking for him to retire.

SquirrelGrip
19-08-2021, 12:24 PM
But Duryea is younger now, than Wood was last year. Doc just got a one year deal off the back of an outstanding season.

Doc isn't our first Premiership Captain in 62 years. I think there's a bit of that in Easton's 2 year extension. I don't mind too much as a one off to be honest.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 12:25 PM

There was much debate about it at the time. I was in the 1 year camp and couldn't understand why he was given 2. If his form and fitness this season warranted another 1 year contract for 2022 then fine. The other camp seemed to believe he deserved 2 years being a premiership captain and all. I believe his previous contract was very generous and he had already received just reward for his prior service.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 12:31 PM
There was much debate about it at the time. I was in the 1 year camp and couldn't understand why he was given 2. If his form and fitness this season warranted another 1 year contract for 2022 then fine. The other camp seemed to believe he deserved 2 years being a premiership captain and all. I believe his previous contract was very generous and he had already received just reward for his prior service.

I happy with 2 years and would have been happy with Doc getting two. We need experience in our backline.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 12:32 PM

Was he in red hot form? Was there no 1 (+ 1 Trigger)? Or just being a Premiership Captain gets you tenure above and beyond the rule applied to others?

GVGjr
19-08-2021, 12:33 PM

It's only a rule or a position when they want it to be a rule and the club would make more allowances for Easton

On form Duryea probably deserved a 2 year deal

SquirrelGrip
19-08-2021, 12:33 PM
Or just being a Premiership Captain gets you tenure above and beyond the rule applied to others?

This.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 12:41 PM
I happy with 2 years and would have been happy with Doc getting two. We need experience in our backline.

But where is the advantage in giving out a 2 year contract to either of them? They aren't likely to be poached by anybody else. I can only see downside where they breakdown and we are stuck with them a year longer than we needed to be. Doc missed almost all of last season. If that happens again next year and he signed a 2 year contract we might be stuck with a player that can't get on the park for 2 years instead of 1.

The only way a 2 year contract for a player near the end could make sense is if the player was taking reduced terms across 2 years v 1.

bornadog
19-08-2021, 12:43 PM
But where is the advantage in giving out a 2 year contract to either of them? They aren't likely to be poached by anybody else. I can only see downside where they breakdown and we are stuck with them a year longer than we needed to be. Doc missed almost all of last season. If that happens again next year and he signed a 2 year contract we might be stuck with a player that can't get on the park for 2 years instead of 1.

The only way a 2 year contract for a player near the end could make sense is if the player was taking reduced terms across 2 years v 1.

I would say dollars are substantially down compared to previous years.

Grantysghost
19-08-2021, 12:46 PM

You haven't taken into account the Barkly St. podcost co-hosting position.

Could it be a dollars v years equation?

Say Easton took a security deal over dollars now for eg with a new youngster in the fam.

I was joking but maybe he does supplement the lower figure with some extra curricular activity like the podcast.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 12:48 PM
I would say dollars are substantially down compared to previous years.

Of course they are, I'm not seeing the relevance?

bornadog
19-08-2021, 12:54 PM
Of course they are, I'm not seeing the relevance?

Just a comment.

We went through all of this when he was offered a two year contract. Of course there are risks, but there are with all players.

I still don't have any issues with Wood having another year.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Western Bulldogs

Out of contract (8): Ben Cavarra (UFA), Will Hayes (UFA), Patrick Lipinski, Stefan Martin (UFA), Roarke Smith (UFA), Jordon Sweet, Mitch Wallis (UFA), Lewis Young

Zaine Cordy’s reached a contract trigger for next year, while Ed Richards is locked in for two more seasons and Buku Khamis has inked a one-year deal and Young has a two-year offer in front of him but has had limited senior opportunities. Taylor Duryea has re-signed for another year, but Lin Jong retired after an injury-riddled few years. It will be Martin’s call on playing into 2022 and young big man Sweet has broken through for his first AFL games this year. There is fascination about what Lipinski and Wallis do after being unable to cement a senior spot. The others will have to be patient.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-contracts-every-current-player-without-a-deal-for-2022/news-story/ce1a7759e4536fb4ca66fc8b1e4ee323)

hujsh
19-08-2021, 03:52 PM
Interesting. The club at least values Young enough to offer him a 2 year deal. It's quite an interesting dynamic there.

comrade
19-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Interesting. The club at least values Young enough to offer him a 2 year deal. It's quite an interesting dynamic there.

Sam Power is like ‘I’m just going to keep him here until you *!*!*!*!ing play him, Bevo’

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 04:35 PM
Sam Power is like ‘I’m just going to keep him here until you *!*!*!*!ing play him, Bevo’

Or is he trying to drive up value? Young must leave for his career. But now he looks like a wanted player. Two years on ok money is better than a future 4th.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Or is he trying to drive up value? Young must leave for his career. But now he looks like a wanted player. Two years on ok money is better than a future 4th.

How is Sammy P going to get the draft picks needed for your wild trading and points machinations if he keeps re-signing all our players? :confused:

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 04:47 PM
How is Sammy P going to get the draft picks needed for your wild trading and points machinations if he keeps re-signing all our players? :confused:

Young isnt essential for me. Lippa, Wally & JJ are my keys. And future picks. Young is a bonus if he leaves for something better than nothing.

Axe Man
19-08-2021, 04:51 PM
Young isnt essential for me. Lippa, Wally & JJ are my keys. And future picks. Young is a bonus if he leaves for something better than nothing.

Was a joke. It has emerged in the past 2 days that he seems to be re-signing or offering contracts to just about everybody.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2021, 05:01 PM
Was a joke. It has emerged in the past 2 days that he seems to be re-signing or offering contracts to just about everybody.

Just as long as it’s not Levi Casboult also.

Mantis
20-08-2021, 09:05 AM
Just a comment.

We went through all of this when he was offered a two year contract. Of course there are risks, but there are with all players.

I still don't have any issues with Wood having another year.

The risk profile with Easton is much higher than with other players given his long issue of soft tissue injuries.

He's had 3 significant injuries (min 4 weeks out) again this year and I can't see things improving in 2022.

Time to give opportunities to others... like Richards.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Lipinski has been offered a three year contract according to scuttlebutt

1eyedog
25-08-2021, 01:19 PM
Lipinski has been offered a three year contract according to scuttlebutt

Elsewhere?

Mofra
25-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Elsewhere?
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2021-patrick-lipsinki-collingwood-carlton-luke-parker-contract-mason-cox/news-story/31a0e96d733576cbaa4a41f0c32ce5dd

bornadog
25-08-2021, 01:23 PM
Elsewhere?

see article here (https://www.afl.com.au/news/670255/hard-running-dog-ponders-new-deal-as-two-vic-rivals-circle)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-08-2021, 02:03 PM
With us

jeemak
25-08-2021, 03:06 PM
Slippery Sam Edmond reckons there's player unrest because of how Mitch Wallis is being treated. He's never been wrong before, and I love the emotive language about Mitch being frozen out:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/24/sam-edmunds-trade-update-on-gunston-chol-wallis-and-more/

Patrick Lipinski (Western Bulldogs)

“Pat Lipinski will leave the Dogs, but at the moment it’s hard to find a home for him right now and a lot of clubs are unsure.

“He’s too good for the VFL, but is he good enough for the AFL? Does he sit in that awkward sweet spot if you like, he uses it well but does he have the leg speed?

“That’s the other thing right now, speed is everything, every list manager you speak to, no one wants a player who doesn’t have speed, who can’t cover the ground, speed is an absolute priority right now and if you don’t have it, it’s hard to find a suitor for them.”

Mitch Wallis (Western Bulldogs)

“Mitch Wallis has been frozen out of the Dogs and we know that.

“I’m hearing it actually might’ve really strained some relationships there at Whitten Oval between player and coach when it comes to Mitch Wallis, who is the vice-captain, who has been completely shut out of the Dogs this year.”

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 03:14 PM
Slippery Sam Edmond reckons there's player unrest because of how Mitch Wallis is being treated. He's never been wrong before, and I love the emotive language about Mitch being frozen out:

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/24/sam-edmunds-trade-update-on-gunston-chol-wallis-and-more/

Patrick Lipinski (Western Bulldogs)

“Pat Lipinski will leave the Dogs, but at the moment it’s hard to find a home for him right now and a lot of clubs are unsure.

“He’s too good for the VFL, but is he good enough for the AFL? Does he sit in that awkward sweet spot if you like, he uses it well but does he have the leg speed?

“That’s the other thing right now, speed is everything, every list manager you speak to, no one wants a player who doesn’t have speed, who can’t cover the ground, speed is an absolute priority right now and if you don’t have it, it’s hard to find a suitor for them.”

Mitch Wallis (Western Bulldogs)

“Mitch Wallis has been frozen out of the Dogs and we know that.

“I’m hearing it actually might’ve really strained some relationships there at Whitten Oval between player and coach when it comes to Mitch Wallis, who is the vice-captain, who has been completely shut out of the Dogs this year.”

It's bloody unusual to make a guy vice-captain and then drop him after 2 games.

I think the VC decision was the wrong one IF he wasn't in our plans. Or are the plans so ephemeral they just go *poof* with the slightest zephyr.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2021, 03:24 PM
It's not a reach to suggest some players would disagree with Mitch Wallis' absence, rightly or wrongly.

Reality is Mitch would have built strong relationships with players, it's only natural. After all, wasn't he voted in as VC? Clearly rated internally by his peers, so it's not a good look that he's been on the outer all year (even though I don't disagree with it).

Is it true there's unrest? Who knows but it shouldn't surprise if that's the case.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Oh ffs I’m sick of hearing about unrest down there. If there’s any truth to it then I’m not expecting any kind of fierce display on the weekend. This team is far too sensitive.

So because Wallis is a great guy he should get a game and a new contract? This is exactly what we’ve been saying Bevo does too often! Mixed signals.

bornadog
25-08-2021, 03:33 PM

He was spot on about JUH leaving

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 03:43 PM
He was spot on about JUH leaving

Oh that was him….

Case closed.

jeemak
25-08-2021, 03:48 PM
Oh ffs I’m sick of hearing about unrest down there. If there’s any truth to it then I’m not expecting any kind of fierce display on the weekend. This team is far too sensitive.

So because Wallis is a great guy he should get a game and a new contract? This is exactly what we’ve been saying Bevo does too often! Mixed signals.

Yeah so he was a Bevo favourite last year, and now he's not......after being made VC......it's too hard to figure out.

Wallis's preseason form was cooked and his first couple of games weren't great either, failing to hit the scoreboard (although putting up pure disposal numbers some of our forwards could now only dream of!).

He could be forgiven for being a bit miffed about being dropped after the Swans game, having kicked four in that fortnight.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 03:49 PM
It's not a reach to suggest some players would disagree with Mitch Wallis' absence, rightly or wrongly.

Reality is Mitch would have built strong relationships with players, it's only natural. After all, wasn't he voted in as VC? Clearly rated internally by his peers, so it's not a good look that he's been on the outer all year (even though I don't disagree with it).

Is it true there's unrest? Who knows but it shouldn't surprise if that's the case.

The player unrest I would suggest is Mitch himself. Now if was players that would be different. Poor Sam always looks for the controversial angles. Is he ever right?

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2021, 03:52 PM
The player unrest I would suggest is Mitch himself. Now if was players that would be different. Poor Sam always looks for the controversial angles. Is he ever right?

The truth is that there's a degree of unrest at EVERY club.

Even throughout Richmond's dynasty, it's not like there's players at the club dirty they weren't playing in big finals. It happens.

Grantysghost
25-08-2021, 03:55 PM

You're right it's the easy angle.

I could guess that Dunkley being persisted with although he's in very very average form after basically walking out, could be the catalyst for one of the more loyal, true blue Bulldogs to be annoyed by his comparative treatment; but I'd be just making it up.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 04:00 PM
You're right it's the easy angle.

I could guess that Dunkley being persisted with although he's in very very average form after basically walking out, could be the catalyst for one of the more loyal, true blue Bulldogs to be annoyed by his comparative treatment; but I'd be just making it up.

I heard Montagna say that it takes a player 4 weeks to get back to what he was after a long injury lay off. Dunks is about due!

Mitcha
25-08-2021, 06:05 PM
Sam Edmund hey. Wasn’t he the one that said Jamarra wanted out and that Ed Richards was gettable. Wrong both times so far, zero credibility.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2021, 06:13 PM
I heard Montagna say that it takes a player 4 weeks to get back to what he was after a long injury lay off. Dunks is about due!

Dangerfield said it this year too coming off injury.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 06:15 PM
Ok I think Montagna used Danger as an example too.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Melbourne interested in Gunston. Surely we need him more than them.

DOG GOD
25-08-2021, 06:54 PM

Typical.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2021, 07:05 PM

Lòoks like it is bye bye Weideman then for sure

josie
28-08-2021, 01:18 PM
Weidemen headed to specific club? He is a decent back isn’t he? If available what would he cost us?

Grantysghost
28-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Weidemen headed to specific club? He is a decent back isn’t he? If available what would he cost us?

He's been forward mostly, not sure if he's ever been tried back?

1eyedog
29-08-2021, 12:00 AM
He's been forward mostly, not sure if he's ever been tried back?

He's never played back as far as my staunch Melbourne mate knows.

macca
29-08-2021, 01:00 AM

His soft and is a crap forward in a team with a good midfield

Got outmarked by Jong in the 2016 VFL final several times.

Can't get a game ahead of Brown or MacDonald

Lacks intensity.

Crap forwards always kick a bag against us.

So a few red flags there.

I would be asking Jong to come back from retirement before recruiting him

Bumper Bulldogs
29-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Hey I have a left field thought. Our concern is Ruck. This has to be the priority. JUH, English, Weightman, Naughts will better next year.

So we have Martin who I think can still play a role. The problem is Sweet. We need to commit that if Martin is not in the side we play Sweet. The missing piece is his development. So would we be any chance of getting rid of King as if he can’t improve Sweet we need someone who can. Then offering Cox a contract to get him at the Kennel?

Hotdog60
31-08-2021, 10:29 PM
BULLDOGS PROVIDE UPDATE ON FUTURE OF LIPINSKI AND WALLIS

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/2ZKR2cmnY6jYu6kLTjr4Ma/fe4928464cd6f81edcf0dace397ccfaa/11WBMe21MW2103.JPG?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Western Bulldogs head of football Chris Grant has provided an update on where things stand with two listed players.

The respective futures of Patrick Lipinski and Mitch Wallis are up in the air with both set to come out of contract this year.

Lipinski, 23, has played just nine matches (two as medi-sub) in 2021 while Wallis, 28, has been used sparingly on just six occasions despite his standing as the club’s vice-captain.

Grant confirmed that Lipinski has been offered a three-year deal by the club and Wallis also has a new contract in front of him, but both are assessing their options.

“The two that have been spoken about a lot throughout the course of the year is obviously Patrick and our vice-captain in ‘Wally’, as well,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“Both of those boys we’re really keen to retain and we’ve offered contracts.

“As we know with footy, we totally understand that they want to get a bit of a feel for where they sit in the scheme of things with us. As much as we’re really keen to retain them, ultimately we’re going to be guided by them.

“Both of those boys are terrific young people. Testament to them with how they’ve dealt with it because it’s always frustrating particularly when a team is eyeing a finals series and looking to go deep into finals, where you’re not getting many looks in.

“We understand the situation that they’re in, but gee, they’ve dealt with it well. They’ve been unbelievable and incredibly positive around the group. It says a lot about them as blokes too.”

Grant acknowledges that both Lipinski and Wallis have a right to seek assurances regarding their positions as senior players in 2022, with the Bulldogs open to supporting them where they can.

He also understands the challenges of fitting a number of quality players onto the one list.

“Offering contracts is a clear indication of how we feel as a club,” he added.

“I think that goes a long way to say that we believe they are selectable players. We’re certainly not going to be offering contracts if we are not feeling that way.

“That gives those boys a lot of confidence in how we feel.

“When a group is coming through and maturing, you also hope you’re going to have a deeper list too, and that makes it more challenging to get regular looks at senior football when you have a deeper list.

“It’s a really healthy environment and a great position for the club to be in. It can also be a challenging time for some players as well.

“With Mitch and Patrick, they’ve had their challenges this year. We can only hope that they want to remain with us.

“We’d really love them to, but we also understand that they’d like to get a more regular look at senior footy.”

Carlton, Collingwood and Sydney are among the clubs being linked to Lipinski, while the future of Wallis, who has been somewhat frozen out this year, remains uncertain.

LINK (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/30/bulldogs-provide-update-on-future-of-lipinski-and-wallis/)

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2021, 05:05 PM
Khamis has re-signed for 2022.

I'm a bit surprised but good luck to him.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1012035/khamis-commits

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 05:19 PM

I like it. The fourth year rookie rule means we get another year from him whilst only a Cat B. Low risk signing. He’s lost essentially two playing years to COVID. Another pre-season and some continuity should do wonders for him.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 05:23 PM
Last ones without a seat as the music soon to stop:

Mitch Wallis
Pat Lipinski
Lewis Young

Roarke Smith
Jordan Sweet

Stefan Martin
Will Hayes
Ben Cavarra

Mofra
01-09-2021, 05:44 PM
Odd-on to be Collingwood given his family connection and their desperation for a tall forward

Axe Man
01-09-2021, 07:37 PM
I’m not surprised since I posted an unofficial report that he had re-signed 2 weeks ago in this thread. ;)

Go_Dogs
01-09-2021, 08:56 PM
All quiet in the Lewis Young front?

The Bulldogs Bite
01-09-2021, 09:01 PM
All quiet in the Lewis Young front?

Interesting to see what he does.

Suddenly become an important player in the last 3 weeks, looked absolutely gone now he's playing first ruck and in consecutive finals.

Not sure what our vision would be for him long term. I still like him as a defender, but we don't have confidence in him.

Wonder how Lewis is feeling now and about his future...

azabob
01-09-2021, 09:13 PM

Mitch Wallis
Pat Lipinski
Lewis Young

Roarke Smith
Jordan Sweet

Stefan Martin
Will Hayes
Ben Cavarra

Sweet is likely dependent on Lewis Young?

FrediKanoute
01-09-2021, 09:30 PM
I think its fair to say that Wally and Lippa will go. Smith/Martin are probably safe, with Martin getting another year unless we can secure another ruck. I think Hayes and Cavarra are finished.

Young is the interesting one. Given he has played the last few games and don ok, I think there will be interest. That said I am not sure that we will trade him out/let him go as his games this year have generally been good.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Sweet is likely dependent on Lewis Young?

Who knows at this point? I’d think he stays under normal logic, but Bevo seems resistant to go near him after Gawn got him. Plus his form was really not good after it too. Toss of the coin. Being that Sweet & Khamis are both fourth year rookies you’d think a joint announcement if they were both wanted no matter what. So maybe his future relies on what Power does in trade week. At minimum we are no rush to give him another year it seems.

jeemak
01-09-2021, 09:51 PM
I have a feeling Sweet may be unlucky, and miss out. Giving him another year doesn't worry me too much.

comrade
01-09-2021, 09:56 PM
We'd have to have a definite target in mind if Sweet is delisted.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2021, 10:01 PM
We'd have to have a definite target in mind if Sweet is delisted.

If you accept:

1. Martin
2. English
3. Sweet
4. Young (undersized)

Martin is shot. Young May go. If sweet goes. We have Tim, and only Tim. Darcy is a kid.

We’d need two mature rucks ready to sign on to have around Tim. One very good, one solid depth. What are the odds on that happening?

soupman
01-09-2021, 10:18 PM
Fwiw Young is ranked higher than Sweet. We haven't touched the latter in the second half of the year, despite there being a clear need for a ruckman. Young has been given multiple goes and was chosen as our number one ruck in a final. He has moved comfortably ahead of Sweet in the pecking order.

I would suggest we see the pecking order next year as:
1. Currently AFL listed recruit
2. English
3. Young
4. Darcy

We may bring in another if we think Young is more of a "play elsewhere fill in when required" option, as I doubt we have any expectations on Darcy to play next year and probably not ever as a proper ruck.

But this is the second season now where we have proactively found other players who are absolutely not the answer (Hannan and Dunkley prime examples) to avoid playing Sweet. That to me says we aren't interested in him.

bulldogtragic
03-09-2021, 12:57 PM

Safe: Roarke Smith

Gone??: Mitch Wallis, Lewis Young, Jordan Sweet

All The Best: Stefan Martin, Will Hayes, Ben Cavarra

Vacancies, 2: Jong, Lipinski.

Mofra
03-09-2021, 01:03 PM
I have a feeling Sweet may be unlucky, and miss out. Giving him another year doesn't worry me too much.
The forth year rookie rule may come into play. I'd re-rookie him

azabob
03-09-2021, 01:45 PM
Cal Twoomey has been talking about a category B "Ruckman list" and is under serious investigation. It will give clubs the opportunity to draft young, raw ruckman and develop them away from the senior list for 2,3,4 years.

Could be an interesting development.

Vred
03-09-2021, 03:17 PM
Cal Twoomey has been talking about a category B "Ruckman list" and is under serious investigation. It will give clubs the opportunity to draft young, raw ruckman and develop them away from the senior list for 2,3,4 years.

If that's the case, Sweet stays on.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2021, 03:36 PM
I think Sweet should be safe either way. He keeps progressing and our ruck stocks are as bare as as they get.

FrediKanoute
03-09-2021, 07:44 PM

The problem with all of these extra lists though are that they aren't used in the way they are intended. No way is Rourke a rookie. Sure he has played less than 50 games, but he has been in the system for what 6 years? We know whether he is going to make it or not and what we really know is that he is a quality team player that has a level.

Sweet, will end up on the supplemental developing ruck list. He has been in the system 3/4 years and played a handful of games. Maybe he fits the bill. But what about when we decide to take a punt on an aging Martin and put him on the ruck list or Lewy Young, using the argument that he is developing.

I am against supplemental lists. Cat B rookies for Next Gen talent I can live with, but Rookie's staying on rookie lists indefinitely.....

soupman
03-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Yeah there is no way if they were starting from scratch would they come up with the system we have now.

The rookie list is weird, the blokes on it have all the same commitments as the main listed guys but are put on a special list like they are all developmental players and not just the 38th best bloke available.

At the very least they should just combine it all into the same big list. Every side has to list 36 (? whatever they have now) players and then can list up to 6 more. Each of the extra list spots only increases the salary cap by the minimum wage so they are effectively the same as rookies but allows more flexibility and doesn't separate them from the rest of the squad.

Instead of special list spots for ruckmen they should bring back the reserves idea, and use it as an extended squad. Anyone who plays for your reserves side and has previously been eligible for the draft (so not underage players) is tied to your club. Can make it like the academy bidding system, or can make them automatically listable.

Both changes kind of just redefine the current system, rookie listed players just get recognised as main listers which is how the clubs treat them, and instead of giving clubs specific spots for semi-coordinated abnormally tall men they can have a bunch more players to develop, but I think they would both be good changes in simplifying this stuff and making it better for the overall AFL ecosystem.

The Doctor
08-10-2021, 09:20 PM
Jon Ralph saying Wallis 'expected' to re-sign

bulldogtragic
08-10-2021, 09:38 PM

Good for the leadership at the club. Bad for his career.

jeemak
09-10-2021, 03:13 AM
Good for the leadership at the club. Bad for his career.

I'd be happy to see Wallis stay with us, and if need be, transition into an assistant's role at the end of next year. I think if he was going to move at high value it would have been at the end of last year, and I suspect that there's probably little interest in him in the market given he turns 29 at the end of this month.

If I was on the MC and making a case for him to get a game next year it would be as a forward pocket who goes into our centre bounce set up during rotations where our better clearance players are either off, or struggling to quell opposition ruck dominance which looks an issue we'll again have to deal with next year (personally I'd like this to be something West was engaged to do, and Garcia into the future).

Whilst he's not great on the spread he has a history of high tackle numbers and elite hands. Of anyone on our list who has stoppage experience over a long time, he's somebody who I am 100% confident (even more so than Libba) would sacrifice absolutely everything to stay on the defencive side of an opponent to stop the forward run that exposes us. And, if on the ground fighting for the ball either neutralise it, or find someone with elite hands if he was able to rather than give it up.

But that ain't going to happen. We'll continue to run with Bont, Macrae, Smith, Dunks, Libba and Treloar and unless one or two of these guys have a complete change in personality, we'll continue to see the same issue rear its ugly head when it matters most.

KT31
09-10-2021, 11:43 AM

No suiters would leave him no alternative options.

macca
09-10-2021, 02:36 PM
Wallis lack of burst speed and pace of the game has a few ahead of him in various roles such as a tagger, wing or fwd pocket

He was a gun at junior level, with him and Libba racking up huge numbers in the midfield.

I really feel for him. If was playing before the prior opportunity rule, he would have played 200 games by now.

I would see one of the bottom 4 sides a good fit for him in terms of maturity and leadership. Carlton, Suns, North and Collingwood are ideal candidates. Unfortunately for him its not what they see.

Interesting, Gibbons was delisted by Carlton after they got in 2 mids in Cerra and Hewitt. They don't see him as a midfielder, eventhough he claims to have played there alot in VFL. I guess its a big jump to be in the AFL midfield.

Not a bad thing he stays, as he could be a one club player. You cannot discount the leadership he brings to the playing group.

You need Lieutenants in a group, helping the captain with order and being around to support the group.

Bulldog4life
09-10-2021, 03:00 PM
I'd be happy to see Wallis stay with us, and if need be, transition into an assistant's role at the end of next year. I think if he was going to move at high value it would have been at the end of last year, and I suspect that there's probably little interest in him in the market given he turns 29 at the end of this month.

If I was on the MC and making a case for him to get a game next year it would be as a forward pocket who goes into our centre bounce set up during rotations where our better clearance players are either off, or struggling to quell opposition ruck dominance which looks an issue we'll again have to deal with next year (personally I'd like this to be something West was engaged to do, and Garcia into the future).

Whilst he's not great on the spread he has a history of high tackle numbers and elite hands. Of anyone on our list who has stoppage experience over a long time, he's somebody who I am 100% confident (even more so than Libba) would sacrifice absolutely everything to stay on the defencive side of an opponent to stop the forward run that exposes us. And, if on the ground fighting for the ball either neutralise it, or find someone with elite hands if he was able to rather than give it up.

But that ain't going to happen. We'll continue to run with Bont, Macrae, Smith, Dunks, Libba and Treloar and unless one or two of these guys have a complete change in personality, we'll continue to see the same issue rear its ugly head when it matters most.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Bevo sold him on that idea. Even earlier at Footscray.

soupman
09-10-2021, 03:45 PM
Do we envisage Wallis getting a game at all next year?

I mean he scraped together 6 games this year and wasn't really considered at any point once we had something resembling a full squad to choose from, doesn't really fit a role we want our forwards to play in and hasn't even entered our midfield mix.

I like him and he is clearly a good guy to have around but does he need an AFL contract to do that? It would appear that nobody else is interested in the slightest.

I'd be ok with giving him a one year contract i guess if we considered him a chance of being in our best 22, but we would be optimistic at best to give him more than that and if he isn't going to play then what's the point?

EasternWest
09-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Do we envisage Wallis getting a game at all next year?

I mean he scraped together 6 games this year and wasn't really considered at any point once we had something resembling a full squad to choose from, doesn't really fit a role we want our forwards to play in and hasn't even entered our midfield mix.

I like him and he is clearly a good guy to have around but does he need an AFL contract to do that? It would appear that nobody else is interested in the slightest.

I'd be ok with giving him a one year contract i guess if we considered him a chance of being in our best 22, but we would be optimistic at best to give him more than that and if he isn't going to play then what's the point?

If we have to fill our list spots with guys like Cavarra and Hayes, then I would absolutely rather Wallis than them.

None of them are realistic chances to play, well Wallis would get a few games I reckon, but he's a great guy and a solid citizen and would always be a good example to those bottom end guys.

If he does get interest elsewhere then good for him, but if not then I definitely want him in our squad.

soupman
09-10-2021, 06:15 PM
If we have to fill our list spots with guys like Cavarra and Hayes, then I would absolutely rather Wallis than them.

If thats the choice then clearly sign up Wallis, but I was dead against retaining either of Cavarra or Hayes for this season because we have proven we just aren't interested in playing them, and don't see why we can't cut all three.

EasternWest
09-10-2021, 07:46 PM
If thats the choice then clearly sign up Wallis, but I was dead against retaining either of Cavarra or Hayes for this season because we have proven we just aren't interested in playing them, and don't see why we can't cut all three.

Nominally I agree but there's always going to be guys on the tail end of your list that aren't going to be regular senior players.

Retaining Wallis maintains some , I dunno the right word, integrity. His family has given a lot to our club and although there's little room for sentiment any more, little doesn't mean none.

soupman
09-10-2021, 09:00 PM
Nominally I agree but there's always going to be guys on the tail end of your list that aren't going to be regular senior players.

Retaining Wallis maintains some , I dunno the right word, integrity. His family has given a lot to our club and although there's little room for sentiment any more, little doesn't mean none.

Yeah I'm fine with that. Well argued. But only because it's Mitch.

EasternWest
09-10-2021, 09:23 PM
Yeah I'm fine with that. Well argued. But only because it's Mitch.

Cheers, I can't think of any other player in Mitch's place that I'd even consider making the argument for.

bornadog
09-10-2021, 09:41 PM
Cheers, I can't think of any other player in Mitch's place that I'd even consider making the argument for.

He is great with mentoring young players like VDM. I am more than happy seeing him stay.

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2021, 10:55 PM
I'm surprised to hear he's butchering it, he's normally really clean with his foot use, but his hands let him down sometimes.

All jokes aside, I've never heard anything more stupid in my life. If the club puts Boyd. M. in the backline I'll pretty much have to take a trek during business hours down Footscray road from West Melbourne and physically assault all involved!

Could Wallis play a Matty Boyd role circa 2016? Are we writing him off too quickly in much the same way we did Boyd as early as probably 2013?

bulldogtragic
09-10-2021, 11:01 PM
Could Wallis play a Matty Boyd role circa 2016? Are we writing him off too quickly in much the same way we did Boyd as early as probably 2013.

Who drops out as HBFs to fit him in? Williams, Dale, Daniel or Duryea?

The Adelaide Connection
09-10-2021, 11:09 PM
Who drops out as HBFs to fit him in? Williams, Dale, Daniel or Duryea?

I don’t think he replaces anyone in the 22, but with no suitors coming for him I wouldn’t mind seeing him tried in the role at VFL level and it becomes another break glass option if needed.

He obviously adds value to the group in a leadership/great bloke capacity, but there are some that have seemingly written him off as even a depth player that can be called on.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2021, 11:19 PM
I don’t think he replaces anyone in the 22, but with no suitors coming for him I wouldn’t mind seeing him tried in the role at VFL level and it becomes another break glass option if needed.

He obviously adds value to the group in a leadership/great bloke capacity, but there are some that have seemingly written him off as even a depth player that can be called on.

So compete with Wood & Crozier at VFL and force kids like Khamis & Butler to play out of position. Not groom Scott to take over from Duryea. Keep JJ further out of the HBF. If we draft Raak &/or MacPherson then play them out of position.

Feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole. He’s shown form as a mid, a tagged and forward. Not sure how shoving him back does anything for him, the teams and the squad more broadly.

The Adelaide Connection
10-10-2021, 12:55 PM
So compete with Wood & Crozier at VFL and force kids like Khamis & Butler to play out of position. Not groom Scott to take over from Duryea. Keep JJ further out of the HBF. If we draft Raak &/or MacPherson then play them out of position.

Feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole. He’s shown form as a mid, a tagged and forward. Not sure how shoving him back does anything for him, the teams and the squad more broadly.

Giving Wallis some minutes in the VFL backline is going to do all of that? I hadn’t intended for him to take six spots across the backline at once for the whole season, but I guess it could be the only logical way to do it.

Mantis
11-10-2021, 01:33 PM
Could Wallis play a Matty Boyd role circa 2016? Are we writing him off too quickly in much the same way we did Boyd as early as probably 2013?

Wallis doesn't have the same skill set as Boyd so it's a big no from me.

jeemak
11-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Wallis doesn't have the same skill set as Boyd so it's a big no from me.

Matty Boyd didn't have the skill set of Matty Boyd until he did, but I tend to agree with you in that for Wallis it will be a bridge too far to make that change in his game.

Diversifying to the point where he has in becoming an AFL standard forward was a major feather in his cap, and not an easy thing to do so you'd never say never. But I just don't see it.

soupman
11-10-2021, 01:54 PM
I liked the suggestion someone made (Jeemak or Comrade I want to say) of playing Wallis as the defensive style mid we don't really employ and that could have maybe made a difference on GF day. Not that I think it's a guarantee of working but he is the player that would give it a good crack and has most of the attributes. Dont think we'd actually do it though.

bornadog
11-10-2021, 03:00 PM
Wallis commits to another year

bulldogtragic
11-10-2021, 06:22 PM
Wallis commits to another year

I hope he has a good one. Or it’s early retirement. That’s strong motivation in and of itself.

Axe Man
12-10-2021, 06:14 PM
Roarke’s reward: Smith locked in until 2023 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1024919?fbclid=IwAR1WPWEhXY08Y_c2j_51s15_pIIRGqtIaxKqnH7dQUI vussTvKKJFT2mlEo)

Western Bulldogs utility Roarke Smith has signed a two-year contract extension, keeping him at the Kennel until at least 2023.

It is a welcomed reward for the 25-year-old, whose well-documented story includes seven consecutive one-year rookie deals, two delistings and two knee reconstructions.

But his hard work and persistence paid off this season, playing 14 senior games, including all four finals.

He also kicked the Bulldogs’ first goal in the 2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final at Optus Stadium.

General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said it was pleasing to see Smith rewarded.

“Having Roarke locked in for another two seasons is great, not only for the Club but also for him and his own development,” Power said.

“His athleticism and versatility are key strengths of his game, while his team-first approach is commendable. We see him as an important part of our future.

“We’re excited to see what else he can bring to AFL level in the red, white and blue moving forward.”

bulldogtragic
12-10-2021, 06:17 PM
Sounds like he’s staying on the Rookie List, which means little practically. Two more years getting paid to play footy with your mates. Good day to be Roarke.

Axe Man
12-10-2021, 06:22 PM
Sounds like he’s staying on the Rookie List, which means little practically. Two more years getting paid to play footy with your mates. Good day to be Roarke.

The club seem to be deliberately vague about the rookie list. Hopefully it all becomes clearer come final list lodgement.

SquirrelGrip
12-10-2021, 06:25 PM

Club Facebook post suggests Rookie List No More.

https://i.postimg.cc/vHS5tkNx/2-C0-D5-DB5-E3-AE-4268-A8-F7-F4478446-E7-E5.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xcMk0xY9)

Testekill
12-10-2021, 06:41 PM
The fact that is was phrased rookie deals no more makes me think that we're elevating him.

Rookie deals no more https://abs-0.twimg.com/emoji/v2/svg/274c.svgRoarke Smith has signed a two-year contract extension https://abs-0.twimg.com/emoji/v2/svg/2705.svg

(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1024919)

That's how it was put in the tweet. Also the cross and check were much smaller.

jeemak
12-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Not sure that's entirely clear.

1eyedog
12-10-2021, 07:11 PM
Nope he's been elevated. 2 years.

The Underdog
12-10-2021, 07:14 PM
Awesome stuff from Roarke. Has worked his ring off to get better and never gave up. Really happy for him.