PDA

View Full Version : Player Contract Status

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Scraggers
22-06-2022, 02:16 PM
Clearly not.

But wouldn't it be great if there was one?

Happy Days
22-06-2022, 02:28 PM

Could you imagine?

hujsh
22-06-2022, 02:31 PM
Let's keep our dreams grounded in some sense of reality everyone. There will never and can never be such a fantastical 'list'

Axe Man
22-06-2022, 02:54 PM
Oh there's a list and one day your name will be crossed off...

EasternWest
22-06-2022, 04:13 PM

Best we don't fly too close to the sun, Icarus.

GVGjr
22-06-2022, 04:18 PM
Oh there's a list and one day your name will be crossed off...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYiKhoDJiec22W_PvmHfJ08y9hlTuLymJ9adTcWAj AjQkCt8OUaEhEIas_SKAKnIgrImo&usqp=CAU

Grantysghost
22-06-2022, 04:42 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYiKhoDJiec22W_PvmHfJ08y9hlTuLymJ9adTcWAj AjQkCt8OUaEhEIas_SKAKnIgrImo&usqp=CAU

Ned Isakoff.....You are on our list!

jeemak
22-06-2022, 05:12 PM
So what you are saying is you don't trust my list? ;)

What list?

EDIT - seems we've already played this game. Serves me right for actually working all day.

EasternWest
22-06-2022, 09:06 PM
What list?

EDIT - seems we've already played this game. Serves me right for actually working all day.

No no it's fine, the more names on Axe's list the less likely he'll get around to us all.

I heard he's gonna do it alphabetically anyway. If I were azabob is be fortifying.

Hotdog60
22-06-2022, 10:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GooIeAxWkg

jeemak
22-06-2022, 10:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GooIeAxWkg

I think this about the time where EW really got into the show......and couldn't stop raving about how amazing it is.

EasternWest
22-06-2022, 10:45 PM
I think this about the time where EW really got into the show......and couldn't stop raving about how amazing it is.

Stop please it still hurts me. Can't you taunt me about Suckling or something. The pain is still too raw.

azabob
23-06-2022, 07:33 AM
No no it's fine, the more names on Axe's list the less likely he'll get around to us all.

I heard he's gonna do it alphabetically anyway. If I were azabob is be fortifying.

Axe and lists? I'm not too worried. He keeps going on about a fictious contract list; this will be another list that does not happen.

Smads57
23-06-2022, 02:52 PM
Has this so called list been updated with our signing English until 2024?

Axe Man
23-06-2022, 02:57 PM
English commits future to Bulldogs (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1154841/english-commits-future-to-bulldogs)

Tim English has committed his future to the Western Bulldogs, signing a two-year extension to remain at VU Whitten Oval until the end of the 2024 season.

The 24-year-old has started the season in fantastic fashion, averaging 22 disposals, 22 hit-outs and six clearances per game, surging into the elite category of ruckman within the competition.

Originally from Western Australia, English was drafted at Pick 19 in the 2016 National Draft, immediately boasting genuine midfield presence and elite skills for his size.

Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, says the Club is excited to secure English over the next two seasons.

“Tim is a really important part of our Club and we see him as a key member of our team in the coming years,” Power said.

“He is a much-loved teammate within our group and plays a massive role within the culture of our club, earning the respect of coaches and players across his six seasons at Whitten Oval.”

“Tim has taken his game to the next level this season, impacting matches regularly and showcasing his unique skillset around the ground, benefitting our midfield enormously.

“As a club, we are really excited to have Tim commit his future to us and display the faith he has in the direction our organisation is heading.

“We have been working on this deal with Tim English’s manager Andrew McDougall and it is great to have this contract finalised in a timely fashion for Tim and the Club.”

English couldn’t be more pleased to remain in red, white and blue for the next two seasons.

“I’m really happy to have re-signed with the Bulldogs,” English said.

“The Club is on an exciting path at the moment and I want to be a part of the success moving forward.”

“We’re building a strong culture at the Club that is built around playing our brand of football on-field and remaining a tight knit group off it.”

“Having locked away the contract, I am really excited about the second half of the season after missing a little bit of footy to start the year.”

English has played 77 games and kicked 41 goals at the Bulldogs.

Axe Man
23-06-2022, 02:59 PM
Has this so called list been updated with our signing English until 2024?

It sure has.

GVGjr
23-06-2022, 03:32 PM
Awesome news.

angelopetraglia
23-06-2022, 03:34 PM
English. Massive news. So we have now signed everyone of note except B.Smith and Dunkley? Is that right?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-06-2022, 03:47 PM
English. Massive news. So we have now signed everyone of note except B.Smith and Dunkley? Is that right?

How would we ever know? Its not like we have a vigilant poster who keeps tabs on all this in an easy to find, read thread. Just boggles the mind.

Grantysghost
23-06-2022, 03:49 PM
Best news ever!

I'll start a thread to keep tabs on contracts.

Scraggers
23-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Great news ... But not the signing I thought we would get today. Still no official news about English (or have I missed something)

So is it official yet? Like, do we have a list or something? How am I supposed to keep up with thee things??

Awesome news, the one signature I wanted more than any this year !! (And I love the way the Bulldogs announced it on social media with the Homer vid)

Grantysghost
23-06-2022, 04:12 PM
So is it official yet? Like, do we have a list or something? How am I supposed to keep up with thee things??

Awesome news, the one signature I wanted more than any this year !! (And I love the way the Bulldogs announced it on social media with the Homer vid)

He signed himself it has to be.

https://i.postimg.cc/kXdKRW6P/Screenshot-20220623-151128-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5jn6ZYSs)

josie
23-06-2022, 06:10 PM
Straw poll woofers:

I’m hoping we can retain both but if hypothetically we can only keep one of Mullet Man or Dunks who would you choose? I’m torn but if I had to choose (with fantastic recent form of West, whom I hope we re-sign soon, in F50 and we know he can be a good midfielder too & with Garcia looking promising as an inside mid) I think I’d keep Smith. So difficult.

josie
23-06-2022, 06:11 PM
Great news regarding Tim. Well done Sam Power.

Grantysghost
23-06-2022, 07:00 PM
Straw poll woofers:

I’m hoping we can retain both but if hypothetically we can only keep one of Mullet Man or Dunks who would you choose? I’m torn but if I had to choose (with fantastic recent form of West, whom I hope we re-sign soon, in F50 and we know he can be a good midfielder too & with Garcia looking promising as an inside mid) I think I’d keep Smith. So difficult.

Smith.

Happy Days
23-06-2022, 07:09 PM
Smith - we don’t speak about his upside enough because of how good he is already but he could be the best player in the AFL.

Plus he’s maybe already better than Dunkley?

bornadog
23-06-2022, 07:13 PM
Great news on English

Grantysghost
23-06-2022, 07:20 PM
Smith - we don’t speak about his upside enough because of how good he is already but he could be the best player in the AFL.

Plus he’s maybe already better than Dunkley?

He is.

The bulldog tragician
23-06-2022, 08:03 PM
Straw poll woofers:

Smith, easily. Breaks the lines, has speed, and far more upside than Dunkley.

GVGjr
23-06-2022, 08:12 PM
Straw poll woofers:

Only from an upside basis but Smith hasn't peaked yet.

Even if it flipped the other way, Dunks is a proven performer so not a lot of difference in the short term.

Interested to hear Comrades thoughts.

G-Mo77
23-06-2022, 08:23 PM
Ok, so when the 2 years for English expire does that put him in the Free Agent camp? Sounds like a short contract and shop kind of deal.

angelopetraglia
23-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Ok, so when the 2 years for English expire does that put him in the Free Agent camp? Sounds like a short contract and shop kind of deal.

All players have done that. They are not giving up their free agent status. Bont did it. Cripps did it. They would be silly to give that away.

G-Mo77
23-06-2022, 08:52 PM
All players have done that. They are not giving up their free agent status. Bont did it. Cripps did it. They would be silly to give that away.

Ok cheers mate.

Axe Man
23-06-2022, 09:17 PM

This. Tim will be backing himself to be the best ruckman in the AFL in 2 years and if he achieves that will be handsomely rewarded wherever he plays. In his position he would have been crazy to sign for longer.

bornadog
24-06-2022, 12:12 AM
Dunks is still only 25 years old. You don't get rid of players that age and what he has achieved to date

jeemak
24-06-2022, 12:19 AM
Dunks is still only 25 years old. You don't get rid of players that age and what he has achieved to date

You can't pay them what you can't afford, either.

We'll put what we think is a fair offer on the table for Dunkley, he'll either accept it or he won't. I'm sure he'll be offered much higher elsewhere and we won't get what we thought he was worth when he was under contract, which to be fair, was and ambit claim anyway.

It's great Timmy's signed on. I'm a bit worried about his concussion situation, however. Perhaps the two years irrespective of how it aligns with free agency isn't the worst for both parties.

The Doctor
24-06-2022, 08:34 AM
Jason Johannisen: 2022
Toby McLean: 2022
Josh Dunkley: 2022
Rhylee West: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-15/west-resigns-for-two-more?fbclid=IwAR10ihTVX91PaUuu1oXgonP5bmJd_YVX8fjHJLMlBf_n9c L5IGBMhGd8HbA)
Alex Keath: 2022
Josh Schache: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/209163/schaches-new-deal)
Bailey Smith: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/549928/smith-signs)
Louis Butler: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/980010/?fbclid=IwAR3b9E0HiTTGSLfquL6WDzHVGasYKYDwDNYR0mtoPHBFdWxCuW-9PQxOoB0)
Riley Garcia: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/980010/?fbclid=IwAR3b9E0HiTTGSLfquL6WDzHVGasYKYDwDNYR0mtoPHBFdWxCuW-9PQxOoB0)
Zaine Cordy: 2022 (https://www.afl.com.au/news/663027/tigers-free-agent-set-for-new-deal-premiership-dog-hits-trigger)
Taylor Duryea: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1003352/duryea-locked-in-for-2022?fbclid=IwAR20dBmLo9PH-bWohtMA02Qem7sAyLAqUUYDiIfxV_QHWbKZEVpGU2q3vLQ)
Mitch Wallis: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1025191/wallis-commits-to-the-kennel)
Stefan Martin: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1028726/martin-to-play-on-in-2022)
Charlie Parker: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034063/2021-afl-rookie-draft-pick-17-charlie-parker) (Rookie)
Robbie McComb: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034067/2021-afl-rookie-draft-pick-23-robbie-mccomb) (Rookie)
Cody Raak: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034005/bulldogs-select-cody-raak-as-a-pre-selected-rookie) (Rookie)

Good to see the list shrinking a bit but we still have over 1/3 of our list coming out of contract. My thoughts on each of them are;

Bailey Smith - Priority signing. Hopefully 3-4 years.

Alex Keath - Priority signing. 2 years would see about right given his age and importance to the team.

Josh Dunkley - Priority signing. 3-4 years or the length to get him to free agency status.

Jason Johannisen - Definite keeper. He will be 30 this year. 2 years

Rhylee West - Definite keeper. Starting to find his groove at senior level. Another 2 years would be a good outcome.

Need to Finish the Year Strongly

Toby Mclean - After 2 years out of the game hopefully he returns soon and goes well. Certainly gets an extension if he does.

Josh Schache - If he is back at Footscray by the end of the year he could be in trouble. I'd still keep him. He's a good player.

Mitch Wallis - Might struggle to get another deal. Could get a reprieve if Dunkley leaves to keep another experienced player on the fringes. Another 1 year deal might be a chance if he finishes the year well.

Taylor Duryea - Arguably the best small defender in the comp in 2021. Not quite the same this year and now injured. Will be 32 next season. Probably gets 1 year which is fair enough if he comes back well from his knee.

Riley Garcia - A player I'd love to see get a good run without injury. Think he's good enough to get a 2 year contract.

Zaine Cordy - Like Schache could be in trouble if still at Footscray by the end of the year. Certainly if we bring in a key defender from another club. Could be retained on a short term deal for KP depth.

Robbie McComb - think he deserves a 1 year extension at least. As a mature age recruit has done what was expected of him and is playing regular AFL footy at the moment.

Stefan Martin - I think it's obvious to all of us that he is done. His body can't do it anymore. Such a pity. We were superb when he was playing well early last season. Highlighted the importance of having a decent ruckman in the team.

Louis Butler - needs a big finish to the year but I can't see him making it. We have too many similar types of small players and we have needs in other areas.

Charlie Parker - He's an interesting one. As a mature age recruit we would have expected him to challenge for a senior spot and he hasn't really done that. Has had some bright moments at Footscray but has it been enough? Now injured. Might be up against it.

Cody Raak - Not sure he has done enough but is low cost to keep as a project player in the hope he can take a step up next year.

Axe Man
24-06-2022, 09:30 AM
Good to see the list shrinking a bit but we still have over 1/3 of our list coming out of contract. My thoughts on each of them are;

Alex Keath - Priority signing. 2 years would see about right given his age and importance to the team.

Josh Dunkley - Priority signing. 3-4 years or the length to get him to free agency status.

Charlie Parker - He's an interesting one. As a mature age recruit we would have expected him to challenge for a senior spot and he hasn't really done that. Has had some bright moments at Footscray but has it been enough? Now injured. Might be up against it.

Just on these ones; I believe Keath has a contract trigger for 1 more year which he is likely to meet so maybe nothing to negotiate there.

Dunkley will qualify for free agency in another year (drafted the year after Daniel & Dale). Would be strange to sign a 1 year deal though.

Although Parker is older he is fairly inexperienced in football terms having mostly played cricket. I think he was always at least a 2 year commitment and wasn't likely to be pushing for a debut this season. Injuries have snuffed out any chance regardless.

Largely agree with the rest of your analysis.

azabob
24-06-2022, 09:38 AM
Just on these ones; I believe Keath has a contract trigger for 1 more year which he is likely to meet so maybe nothing to negotiate there.

Dunkley will qualify for free agency in another year (drafted the year after Daniel & Dale). Would be strange to sign a 1 year deal though.

Although Parker is older he is fairly inexperienced in football terms having mostly played cricket. I think he was always at least a 2 year commitment and wasn't likely to be pushing for a debut this season. Injuries have snuffed out any chance regardless.

Largely agree with the rest of your analysis.

Wonder what Keath's trigger was? Hopefully it is only for one more year.

You and I have debated this a bit but he's struggled with injury and getting his body right since the Melbourne game at the G in 2021.

I'd sign Parker for another year.

Axe Man
24-06-2022, 09:45 AM
Wonder what Keath's trigger was? Hopefully it is only for one more year.

You and I have debated this a bit but he's struggled with injury and getting his body right since the Melbourne game at the G in 2021.

I'd sign Parker for another year.

In hindsight you have been proven correct, although I think you went a little early. ;)

I'm not sure what the terms are for Keath's trigger, but it has definitely been reported as a 3 year deal with a trigger for a 4th. I imagine it's games based and if he avoids further major layoffs he should meet it.

Assuming he triggers the extra year for 2023, going forward I would expect 1 year deals, Duryea style.

GVGjr
24-06-2022, 02:51 PM
You can't pay them what you can't afford, either.

We'll put what we think is a fair offer on the table for Dunkley, he'll either accept it or he won't. I'm sure he'll be offered much higher elsewhere and we won't get what we thought he was worth when he was under contract, which to be fair, was and ambit claim anyway.

It's great Timmy's signed on. I'm a bit worried about his concussion situation, however. Perhaps the two years irrespective of how it aligns with free agency isn't the worst for both parties.

We will put a more than reasonable and fair offer to Dunks but if money is his sole focus he will be able to make more elsewhere.
I hope we keep him but he is essentially leaving things to the last minute and now other deals are being struck which might shrink the pot.

Still, there are players like Wallis and McLean that might either need to take a decent hair cut or look for other homes so if we are ruthless enough we can typically keep the priority players.

Happy Days
24-06-2022, 02:59 PM
I feel like the contract we gave Wallis this year was fair compensation for his service as a clubman. We don’t need to give him another one just because he’s a great guy and I’m sure there’s another team out there that he could find his way onto.

Butler and Martin are my only other definite delistings at this stage, with a wait and see on Toby. West is becoming something of a priority signature.

Grantysghost
24-06-2022, 03:07 PM
I feel like the contract we gave Wallis this year was fair compensation for his service as a clubman. We don’t need to give him another one just because he’s a great guy and I’m sure there’s another team out there that he could find his way onto.

Butler and Martin are my only other definite delistings at this stage, with a wait and see on Toby. West is becoming something of a priority signature.

We will though re Wallis.

Happy Days
24-06-2022, 03:13 PM
We will though re Wallis.

If he’s comfortable being the ostensible VFL captain and playing for whatever the AFL equivalent of a vet’s minimum is then fine, but he’s not a legitimate AFL option at this stage of his career.

Grantysghost
24-06-2022, 03:14 PM
If he’s comfortable being the ostensible VFL captain and playing for whatever the AFL equivalent of a vet’s minimum is then fine, but he’s not a legitimate AFL option at this stage of his career.

Agree, he'd be better off at North or the like adding to his career.
No one would think any less of him as a Bulldog person.

Happy Days
24-06-2022, 03:23 PM

Definitely. What's he supposed to do, hang around and not play AFL for less money so I don't feel sad?

bornadog
24-06-2022, 03:33 PM
Definitely. What's he supposed to do, hang around and not play AFL for less money so I don't feel sad?

Whilst it is sad, he is just not in our best 22

josie
24-06-2022, 05:09 PM

Would cheer for him if he played for another team. What a great clubman and well spoken gent he is.

DOG GOD
24-06-2022, 07:00 PM
Pretty much agree Doctor.

Every time I see butler at AFL level I just roll my eyes. I don’t see it. Never have, so if he is kept on, I won’t be happy.

Testekill
28-06-2022, 06:11 PM
And with Wallis out for the rest of the year with a foot injury, I can't help but feel that's curtains. I'm sure the club would love him around at VFL level but I cannot see him playing seniors ever again even if he went around next year.

Axe Man
30-06-2022, 10:09 AM
DOGS DEFENDER HITS TRIGGER (https://www.afl.com.au/news/789332/gun-giant-considering-move-annual-ruck-exchange-heating-up)

IT HAS been a busy few weeks for Western Bulldogs list manager Sam Power with Tim English, Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale all signing on the dotted line.

Bailey Smith and Josh Dunkley will now be the major focus in the closing stages of the season, but one name that can also be removed from the list is Alex Keath.

AFL.com.au understands the key defender has triggered an extension for next year.

The 30-year-old signed a three-year deal with an option for a fourth season when the Western Bulldogs beat St Kilda to lure him from Adelaide at the end of 2019.

Keath played his 50th game in red, white and blue when the Dogs defeated Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium last Friday night, after playing 30 games for the Crows.

The former first-class cricketer has proven to be a very astute buy, finishing sixth in the Charles Sutton Medal in 2020 and 2021, holding down a key defensive spot in a side bereft of options down there.

Aside from Smith and Dunkley, the Western Bulldogs also have Jason Johannisen, Josh Schache, Taylor Duryea, Mitch Wallis, Robbie McComb and Rhylee West among the players without deals for 2023. – Josh Gabelich

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 10:13 AM
Good pick-up Axe, that means Smith, Dunks, JJ and West are the main targets.

azabob
30-06-2022, 10:21 AM
DOGS DEFENDER HITS TRIGGER (https://www.afl.com.au/news/789332/gun-giant-considering-move-annual-ruck-exchange-heating-up)

AFL.com.au understands the key defender has triggered an extension for next year.

azabob understands that afl.com.au has been reading Axe Man's posts from last week suggesting Keath has triggered a contract extension for 2023.

azabob
30-06-2022, 10:22 AM
Good pick-up Axe, that means Smith, Dunks, JJ and West are the main targets.

GVGjr what is your gut feel? Do we retain all four, retain three or retain only two?

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 10:36 AM
GVGjr what is your gut feel? Do we retain all four, retain three or retain only two?

JJ isn't a flight much of a flight risk in my opinion so a deal should be struck
Smith is the priority. Dunks needs to flag his intentions and West should be a lower lever priority.

I think we can get all of them over the line, Dunkley's reluctance so far might be problematic but it opens up a whole lot of scenario's.

azabob
30-06-2022, 11:40 AM
JJ isn't a flight much of a flight risk in my opinion so a deal should be struck
Smith is the priority. Dunks needs to flag his intentions and West should be a lower lever priority.

I think we can get all of them over the line, Dunkley's reluctance so far might be problematic but it opens up a whole lot of scenario's.

Rightly or wrongly I'd be comfortable retaining 3 and losing Dunkley.

Hopeully JJ has some goodwill towards the club considering the faith, term and $ we showed him last time around.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Rightly or wrongly I'd be comfortable retaining 3 and losing Dunkley.

Hopeully JJ has some goodwill towards the club considering the faith, term and $ we showed him last time around.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable losing Dunks. A loss that would come back and bite you on the bum.

azabob
30-06-2022, 11:48 AM
Personally I wouldn't be comfortable losing Dunks. A loss that would come back and bite you on the bum.

B4L I do tend to agree, but I wouldn't overcommit $ wise to keep him.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:53 AM
B4L I do tend to agree, but I wouldn't overcommit $ wise to keep him.

Understand. Hopefully a decent deal, the pull of our success and his good buddy Adz will be enough to get him over the line. He will be our bull in the middle when Libba finally hangs up his boots ....hopefully a long time to go as Libba seems more sprightly than ever.

Swoop
30-06-2022, 07:47 PM
Jon Ralph reporting the Dogs are into Lobb for 1.5 million over 3 years. Thoughts?

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 07:52 PM
Jon Ralph reporting the Dogs are into Lobb for 1.5 million over 3 years. Thoughts?

That sounds a reasonable number. With Bruce coming back it begs the question of what happens with the development of Marra and Schache?

I don't quite get why Freo couldn't match that.

soupman
30-06-2022, 07:56 PM
That sounds a reasonable number. With Bruce coming back it begs the question of what happens with the development of Marra and Schache?

I don't think they want to, especially if they are into Jackson.

Grantysghost
30-06-2022, 07:57 PM

Do it for that.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 07:58 PM
I don't think they want to, especially if they are into Jackson.

Wouldn't that mean he spends more time forward?
Darcy and Jackson splitting the ruck duties and Hackson and Lobb up forward gives them some marking power.

Swoop
30-06-2022, 08:04 PM
I'm torn. He's a tease and people tend to focus on what he could be as opposed to what he actually produces.

On the other hand, he has the ability to immediately offer support to both English and Naughton which is much needed. The concern surrounds our structure with Bruce, Naughton, Lobb plus Marra and Darcy.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 08:07 PM
I'm torn. He's a tease and people tend to focus on what he could be as opposed to what he actually produces.

On the other hand, he has the ability to immediately offer support to both English and Naughton which is much needed. The concern surrounds our structure with Bruce, Naughton, Lobb plus Marra and Darcy.

I agree, he suits us mainly because he has the ability to ruck and as a forward he often teases more than pleases.
I suppose if he joins us I'll be excited, not sure I would shed a tear if we don't land him

bornadog
30-06-2022, 08:12 PM
I agree, he suits us mainly because he has the ability to ruck and as a forward he often teases more than pleases.
I suppose if he joins us I'll be excited, not sure I would shed a tear if we don't land him

Same

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2022, 08:16 PM
Not really interested in Lobb. Any tall we get needs to play back.

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 08:22 PM
Not really interested in Lobb. Any tall we get needs to play back.

I tend to agree, I also think in big finals he would go missing.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:15 PM

And Darcy

GVGjr
30-06-2022, 11:17 PM
And Darcy

I'd be surprised if Bruce goes past the end of next year ie 2024.
Darcy will need time.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:18 PM

The word Ralph used that it is a lock.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2022, 11:19 PM
The word Ralph used that it is a lock.

A lock to the Dogs?

Personally I'm all for it. Naughty needs support, Marra isn't going to be a second key next year and Lobb would also solve our second ruck issue.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:20 PM
A lock to the Dogs?

Personally I'm all for it. Naughty needs support, Marra isn't going to be a second key next year and Lobb would also solve our second ruck issue.

Yes that's what he said

kruder
30-06-2022, 11:21 PM
Ralph also said that Smith is expected to sign a 2 year deal, just sorting out the $$$.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2022, 11:22 PM
Yes that's what he said

Interesting. Thanks B4L

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:40 PM
Interesting. Thanks B4L

Ironically I remember when Tim came to our club he was asked did he model his on anyone. His answer was Rory Lobb.

Bulldog4life
30-06-2022, 11:44 PM
More what Ralph said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-2022-rory-lobb-to-western-bulldogs-fremantle-daniel-mcstay-to-collingwood-brisbane-lions-contract-will-ashcroft-bid/news-story/02534ff2d8cf3d207ba06cc275b40b43

Axe Man
01-07-2022, 12:55 PM
Until Rory Lobb signs a contract with us he doesn't belong in this thread (if this thread even exists).

Bullies
01-07-2022, 01:11 PM
I wasn't pro Lobbe but i've come around.

It would be great for Jamarra and his development. He would end up getting the 3rd or 4th defender. Those type of defenders won't be able to go with Marra.

We can use Lobbe in the ruck to help out Tim who can then also play forward on his break.

Darcy can be used in defence as an intercept backmen. It would be great for his development as it is easier to learn the trade down back.

Bruce could take some time to comeback from his knee if at all. He will need to work to get in shape as the game is still getting quicker.

I am sold on Lobb.

Axe Man
01-07-2022, 01:20 PM
Sigh. Let's discuss movies in here too? ;)

EasternWest
01-07-2022, 03:26 PM
Sigh. Let's discuss movies in here too? ;)

Why not there's no other info here.

GVGjr
04-07-2022, 04:20 PM
According to the HUN

Bailey Smith’s new Western Bulldogs contract will be a two-year deal that will reflect his consistency and durability for the club as both parties work on a resolution.

There is still some way to go as the Dogs attempt to secure all of their out-of-contract players, which means negotiations could still drag on for some time.

Smith, 21, wants to play for the Dogs and a two-year deal would see him handsomely rewarded while still allowing him to sign a mega-deal when he came out of contract at the end of 2024.

Smith has served his two-match ban for headbutting Geelong’s Zach Tuohy. But he has two more games to wait after he admitted last month to using an illicit substance and was suspended by the AFL.

The club and his management have put support around him after he went on a bender in Queensland late last year after the grand final, telling the Herald Sun recently the stresses of the season had seen him lose control.

Dogs chief executive Ameet Bains recently confirmed the club had kickstarted contract talks.

“We had made a fair bit of progress with his manager, Paul Connors, in the last two to three weeks, so hopefully that momentum can keep going,” he said.

“The important part is … the incident was from last year. While the club didn’t have any knowledge of any vision being in existence until it came to our attention last weekend, that period that Bailey was dealing with late last year that led to the poor decision-making was something we knew about and dealt with at the time.”

azabob
04-07-2022, 04:44 PM
According to the HUN

Bailey Smith’s new Western Bulldogs contract will be a two-year deal that will reflect his consistency and durability for the club as both parties work on a resolution.

There is still some way to go as the Dogs attempt to secure all of their out-of-contract players, which means negotiations could still drag on for some time.

Smith, 21, wants to play for the Dogs and a two-year deal would see him handsomely rewarded while still allowing him to sign a mega-deal when he came out of contract at the end of 2024.

Smith has served his two-match ban for headbutting Geelong’s Zach Tuohy. But he has two more games to wait after he admitted last month to using an illicit substance and was suspended by the AFL.

The club and his management have put support around him after he went on a bender in Queensland late last year after the grand final, telling the Herald Sun recently the stresses of the season had seen him lose control.

Dogs chief executive Ameet Bains recently confirmed the club had kickstarted contract talks.

“We had made a fair bit of progress with his manager, Paul Connors, in the last two to three weeks, so hopefully that momentum can keep going,” he said.

“The important part is … the incident was from last year. While the club didn’t have any knowledge of any vision being in existence until it came to our attention last weekend, that period that Bailey was dealing with late last year that led to the poor decision-making was something we knew about and dealt with at the time.”

Thanks GVGjr. When was this reported?

Both of these "developments" were known last week when Baines was on 3AW and another reporter (maybe Sam Edmund) mentioned the contract term with Smith had been decided and just the money was to be agreed.

GVGjr
04-07-2022, 04:47 PM
Thanks GVGjr. When was this reported?

Both of these "developments" were known last week when Baines was on 3AW and another reporter (maybe Sam Edmund) mentioned the contract term with Smith had been decided and just the money was to be agreed.

I saw something similar a week ago but it was on the HUN at 2pm today.

bornadog
04-07-2022, 05:06 PM
I saw something similar a week ago but it was on the HUN at 2pm today.

He will be eligible to play the Saints game

jeemak
04-07-2022, 05:28 PM
He will be eligible to play the Saints game

Yeah I thought they'd buggered up the games out.

Happy Days
26-07-2022, 03:13 PM
So there’s a month left before finals and potentially the end of our season if things go even kinda south. When can we be officially worried that Baz, Dunks and West are all still unsigned?

Dunkley is playing far more forward, just like in 2020 which seemed to massively piss him off. And the updates we got are now pretty old and weren’t of much comfort in the first place.

Attitudes to retaining (at least one of) them aside, it’s very odd for guys who apparently want to stay to still not be signed up this late in the piece.

Topdog
26-07-2022, 03:15 PM
So there’s a month left before finals and potentially the end of our season if things go even kinda south. When can we be officially worried that Baz, Dunks and West are all still unsigned?

Dunkley is playing far more forward, just like in 2020 which seemed to massively piss him off. And the updates we got are now pretty old and weren’t of much comfort in the first place.

Attitudes to retaining (at least one of) them aside, it’s very odd for guys who apparently want to stay to still not be signed up this late in the piece.

Dunkley was pissed off about playing in ruck and he is spending a lot of time in the middle this year.

Thought we got an update about him last week that a deal was closer?

GVGjr
26-07-2022, 03:38 PM

While I wish it would all get done I'm content at the moment with Baz and West and I think they'll sign. Interested to see where we land with Dunkley but recent reports indicated progress was made.

azabob
26-07-2022, 03:46 PM

Is your snail mail still suggesting Dunkley is gone? I know you and Jee were fairly certain he and Hunter were gone.

On West honestly I don't blame him for holding out a bit longer as I'm sure he would have got a few offers to think about.

On Smith I've held the view for sometime he'll end up at Sydney and I'm still half expecting that.

Mofra
26-07-2022, 04:14 PM
Is your snail mail still suggesting Dunkley is gone? I know you and Jee were fairly certain he and Hunter were gone.

On West honestly I don't blame him for holding out a bit longer as I'm sure he would have got a few offers to think about.

On Smith I've held the view for sometime he'll end up at Sydney and I'm still half expecting that.

Smith, he of the 'can't leave Victoria due to mental illness' moving to Sydney? Even ignoring the fact that Sydney rate kicking skill higher than any other team in the comp when considering recruits and trades, I just don't think that's an option.

Happy Days
26-07-2022, 04:26 PM

That wasn’t so much actual mail as much as it was “stuff I read on the internet”.

Grantysghost
26-07-2022, 05:01 PM
That wasn’t so much actual mail as much as it was “stuff I read on the internet”.

They're the same thing.

Smith is the one that has me a little concerned. He will be getting plenty of big offers.

chef
26-07-2022, 05:05 PM
Could see Smith at Geelong with the cotton on element. Plus they are chasing a big name mid to replace Danger/Selwood.

Grantysghost
26-07-2022, 05:33 PM
Could see Smith at Geelong with the cotton on element. Plus they are chasing a big name mid to replace Danger/Selwood.

Oh no don't Chef! I couldn't stand another Moggs Creek success story!

I would be leaning towards the northern states like Azabob. He can still live his big city lifestyle but in relative anonymity.

bornadog
26-07-2022, 05:40 PM

I would be leaning towards the northern states like Azabob. He can still live his big city lifestyle but in relative anonymity.

Smith is a must sign

Grantysghost
26-07-2022, 06:14 PM
Smith is a must sign

Wonder if Bailey has a non mask exemption? He was literally the only guy without one.

Not judging more curious.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRrPCTgP/mask1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/Kj40x4WB/mask2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

chef
26-07-2022, 06:55 PM

I think he'll stay.

But Im not sure a guy happy to be plastered half naked over billboards and pushing 400k Insta followers is worried about anonymity

Grantysghost
26-07-2022, 07:00 PM
I think he'll stay.

But Im not sure a guy happy to be plastered half naked over billboards and pushing 400k Insta followers is worried about anonymity

Ah ... there in lies the dichotomy.

azabob
26-07-2022, 07:02 PM
Wonder if Bailey has a non mask exemption? He was literally the only guy without one.

Not judging more curious.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRrPCTgP/mask1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/Kj40x4WB/mask2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

There was another player also.
Varcoe wasnt wearing one whilst presenting.

Grantysghost
26-07-2022, 07:41 PM
There was another player also.
Varcoe wasnt wearing one whilst presenting.

I think JJ had his on but down.

No biggie just curiosity more than anything :)

Testekill
26-07-2022, 08:08 PM

I suspect that West is trying to drive his value as high as possible.

Bulldog4life
31-07-2022, 11:07 AM
Sammy Power has a lot of work ahead of him. Realizing not all players will be re-signed we have 16 players still out of contract and 19 in 2023.

Bumper Bulldogs
31-07-2022, 10:11 PM
Sammy Power has a lot of work ahead of him. Realizing not all players will be re-signed we have 16 players still out of contract and 19 in 2023.

Who is still out of contract. My sister in law said that Hunters off to the Bombers and that’s why he isn’t playing seniors for us.

bornadog
31-07-2022, 10:15 PM
Who is still out of contract. My sister in law said that Hunters off to the Bombers and that’s why he isn’t playing seniors for us.

Check Page 1 of this thread

hujsh
31-07-2022, 11:02 PM

Not that I'm taking it too seriously (nothing personal BB) but as a thought exercise, would it be better to lose Hunter or Dunkley if someone leaves? I'm leaning towards Hunter.

Also if Hunter is leaving and the MC see him as best 22 on form and fitness then it'd be in our interest to play him so we can ask for more at the trade table.

EasternWest
01-08-2022, 12:39 AM
Not that I'm taking it too seriously (nothing personal BB) but as a thought exercise, would it be better to lose Hunter or Dunkley if someone leaves? I'm leaning towards Hunter.

Also if Hunter is leaving and the MC see him as best 22 on form and fitness then it'd be in our interest to play him so we can ask for more at the trade table.

Hunter of course.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-08-2022, 10:43 PM

Hunter hands down over Dunks. But we just seem to have talk about players wanting to leave every year. Agree Hunter is in our best 22 but after the car accident things don’t seem the same anymore.

hujsh
01-08-2022, 11:31 PM
Hunter hands down over Dunks. But we just seem to have talk about players wanting to leave every year. Agree Hunter is in our best 22 but after the car accident things don’t seem the same anymore.

Usually people not getting a game though (except for Dunkley). Right now I'm thinking that for the right price I can live with either leaving (Dunkley I'd want a better price for but still) since we could use a bit more class in our younger brigade.

It's been great to get JUH and Darcy but it's thinned out our overall talent pool so if we could go to the draft with 2-3 picks in the top 30 (2 first rounders as well) and get in Lobb and a key defender (aside from Jones) I think we'll have a good balance of bringing in young talent, re-balancing the list and keeping in contention.

Danny the snakeman
08-08-2022, 05:11 PM
Smith is a must sign

Done, 2 yrs

bornadog
Done, 2 yrs

Ripper

G-Mo77
https://i.ibb.co/YRfzXMP/FZnh-FK8ac-AAwjz-D.jpg

angelopetraglia
08-08-2022, 05:12 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1193536/

Smith commits his future to the Bulldogs

Exciting youngster Bailey Smith will remain in the red, white and blue for the next two seasons after re-signing with the Western Bulldogs.

The deal sees the 21-year-old tied to the club until at least the end of the 2024 season, and is reward for another fantastic season, in which he is averaging 30 disposals and four clearances a game.

Selected at pick seven in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, Smith has featured prominently in an elite midfield, providing impactful performances across his 81 games.

The midfielder came of age during the 2021 AFL Finals Series, playing pivotal roles across the Semi-Final and Preliminary wins on the way to a Grand Final.

With an ability to play multiple positions, Smith’s versatility, endurance and strength provides a platform to remain a vital player at the Bulldogs.

“I don’t want to be anywhere else – I am stoked to call this home for another two years,” Smith said.

“We have such strong bonds with the place – you can’t envision yourself doing anything else. The people in the club have stuck by me, I’ll be forever in debt to them.”

“The fans are amazing, it’s why we play. Seeing them each weekend at Marvel or wherever we are playing, to hear their voices cheering us on and supporting us, that pushes us to another level."

“A massive goal of ours is sustained success. Certainly, see with the power of the list, it’s exciting the next couple of years to see what we can do.”

“It wasn’t even in question to go anywhere else, purely because the people here have helped form arguably the most important years of my life.

“From when I got here when I was 17 to now be 21 – the people that have supported me through thick and thin. All the amazing times I have had with my best mates – it was a major part of why I couldn’t go anywhere else.”

Western Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, says he is delighted to have Bailey remain at the Bulldogs into the future.

“We’re really thrilled to have Bailey sign on for the next two seasons,” he said.

“Bailey has established himself as a consistent performer for the football club and has become one of the most exciting young players within the competition.

“Bailey has been firm on his commitment to the Western Bulldogs and is focused on the Club building sustained success, both on and off the field.

“At only 21 years of age, we believe Bailey can still improve and he will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of himself and the team.

“Our members and supporters can look forward to cheering on our number six for years to come.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2022, 05:20 PM
So after the GF last year we had Macrae, English, Bailey Smith, Caleb Daniel, Bailey Dale, McLean, Dunkley and JJ all coming out of contract this year. Amazing job to sign Macrae, English, Smith, Daniel and Dale.

Dunkley is the obvious big one that is uncertain. JJ and McLean of lesser concern but will be interesting to see what happens with both. You think McLean would get another short term deal.

DOG GOD
08-08-2022, 05:21 PM
Good news

Axe Man
08-08-2022, 05:25 PM
2023 looks like a fairly relaxing year on the signature hunting front with not too many big names coming out of contract.

2024 on the other hand is nightmare material with Naughton, Jamarra, English and Baz up for renewal.

angelopetraglia
08-08-2022, 05:30 PM
2023 looks like a fairly relaxing year on the signature hunting front with not too many big names coming out of contract.

2024 on the other hand is nightmare material with Naughton, Jamarra, English and Baz up for renewal.

Agree. But the next two years are a massive window for us with our best "Franchise" players still in their prime windows. Let's make it count.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2022, 05:40 PM
Who said he was going to Sydney?

Axe Man
08-08-2022, 05:43 PM

Azabob, he's like the Tom Browne of Woof :p

Bulldog4life
08-08-2022, 05:47 PM

Ah yes it was Aza.

GVGjr
08-08-2022, 05:51 PM

Aza's logic was reasonable through and not just a throw away line. He will be as pleased as anyone with the news Smith is staying.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Aza's logic was reasonable through and not just a throw away line. He will be as pleased as anyone with the news Smith is staying.

I know. I knew before I asked G.

whythelongface
08-08-2022, 05:56 PM
Fantastic news. I really like this quote:

“We have such strong bonds with the place – you can’t envision yourself doing anything else. The people in the club have stuck by me, I’ll be forever in debt to them.”

Whilst we are genuinely concerned about our onfield performance it seems off-field we are doing the right thing and creating a happy place where players want to be. If there were concerns there would have been an exodus of players. For mine this means that it won’t take too much to correct the ship.

jeemak
08-08-2022, 06:07 PM
Aza lacked the conviction to make it happen. He didn't even start a thread on it.

I'm glad he didn't, this is great news!

azabob
08-08-2022, 06:15 PM

Ah yes it was Aza.

I know. I knew before I asked G.

Aza lacked the conviction to make it happen. He didn't even start a thread on it.

I'm glad he didn't, this is great news!

I am rapt with this news!!

So glad no schadenfreude to be had.

chef
08-08-2022, 06:27 PM
2 years seems a bit weird. Keeping his options open.

azabob
08-08-2022, 06:28 PM

Look, I didn't want to say that... so I'm glad someone else did.

DOG GOD
08-08-2022, 06:29 PM
Maybe because of his off field issue this year they might have only offered 2 years considering Dale and Daniel got double that.

hujsh
08-08-2022, 06:32 PM
It's normal to stick to shorter term deals until you're ready for the big payday and a 5+year contract.

He's also not in the same bargaining position he was before the 1st Geelong game.

Axe Man
08-08-2022, 06:39 PM
Maybe because of his off field issue this year they might have only offered 2 years considering Dale and Daniel got double that.

No chance the 2 years was from the club's end, we would have signed up him up for 5 years if he was willing.

It's normal to stick to shorter term deals until you're ready for the big payday and a 5+year contract.

He's also not in the same bargaining position he was before the 1st Geelong game.

2 years is exactly what I expected. He will rightfully be backing himself to be worthy of a mega deal in 2 years time.

GVGjr
08-08-2022, 06:42 PM

Looks like a strategic decision. The player might be backing himself for a huge pay day down the track.

josie
08-08-2022, 07:28 PM
No chance the 2 years was from the club's end, we would have signed up him up for 5 years if he was willing.

2 years is exactly what I expected. He will rightfully be backing himself to be worthy of a mega deal in 2 years time.

And being a determined young lad I’m confident he’d want to improve his kicking accuracy and tackle effectiveness which have been down since his recall after suspension.

EasternWest
08-08-2022, 07:36 PM

Please allow us to kick aza some before bringing reason to the conversation.

GVGjr
08-08-2022, 07:42 PM
Please allow us to kick aza some before bringing reason to the conversation.

Fair call, he deserves a clip :)

Grantysghost
08-08-2022, 07:55 PM
Sydney in 25?

Twodogs
08-08-2022, 08:30 PM

You so did want to say it.

And you just did!

Grantysghost
09-08-2022, 10:00 AM
Libba with the subtle dig on insta... He cracks me up.

https://i.postimg.cc/nrtShCGd/Screenshot-20220809-084533-Instagram.jpg (https://postimg.cc/7GmnBPc7)

jeemak
09-08-2022, 02:57 PM
I don't get it.

hujsh
09-08-2022, 03:10 PM
I don't get it.

I think it's from the 'Ice in my veins' celebration against Brisbane where people thought it was a vaccine thing

Grantysghost
09-08-2022, 03:33 PM
I don't get it.

Bailey doesn't wear a mask should lead you down the right path.

WBFC4FFC
10-08-2022, 06:12 PM
Looks like a strategic decision. The player might be backing himself for a huge pay day down the track.

Bont signed for 2-yrs as well before signing 4-yr deal last year.

azabob
14-08-2022, 08:16 PM
A bit early but Beveridge contact expires end of next season.

Will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

Does anyone see Beveridge as the type of person to walk away or will he need to be pushed?

bornadog
14-08-2022, 08:19 PM

Does anyone see Beveridge as the type of person to walk away or will he need to be pushed?

Why would he walk or be pushed?

He is our greatest ever coach.

azabob
14-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Why would he walk or be pushed?

He is our greatest ever coach.

It’s a general question. Not saying it will happen next year but it will happen eventually.

So, do you think if Beveridge would be the type of person to walk or be pushed?

Dry Rot
14-08-2022, 08:28 PM
Anyone else worried about keeping West?

Mofra
14-08-2022, 08:33 PM
It’s a general question. Not saying it will happen next year but it will happen eventually.

So, do you think if Beveridge would be the type of person to walk or be pushed?
Didn't he originally say coaching is a five year career?
Next year is year 8....

Bumper Bulldogs
14-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Yes but that was for everyone else.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, if we get into the 8 after playing the Hawks anything could happen.

This is when Bevo is at his best. The rest of the year is just a warm up

josie
14-08-2022, 09:00 PM
Anyone else worried about keeping West?

A little. Guessing with him now playing seniors regularly I think chances of keeping him have increased. I think his toughness is something the MC would like. Would love to see him given more clearance opportunities as I think he really could be our Libba replacement (no one as good as Libba but good as we could like for like), as could Garcia.

GVGjr
14-08-2022, 09:08 PM

When he is ready he will leave on his own terms. I wonder if he will have a wins total target in his mind for next season?
As disappointing as we have been this season I can't see the club moving him on ever.

GVGjr
18-08-2022, 10:55 PM
This one will make Dry Rot happy but I just read that a deal is close and we will be offering Riley Garcia a 2 year contract extension.

EasternWest
18-08-2022, 11:30 PM
This one will make Dry Rot happy but I just read that a deal is close and we will be offering Riley Garcia a 2 year contract extension.

Good.

azabob
19-08-2022, 07:40 AM

This is good news indeed.

Mofra
19-08-2022, 08:39 AM
Not just Dry Rot.
Garcia has some genuine hardness to his game and a lot of development left in him. Happy with this news.

EasternWest
19-08-2022, 11:33 AM
Not just Dry Rot.
Garcia has some genuine hardness to his game and a lot of development left in him. Happy with this news.

Really looks like a player to me, love for him to get a good run at it next year.

Smads57
19-08-2022, 04:40 PM
Not sure I understand the selection (on the bench) of McComb over Garcia this week unless Riley is carrying a niggle and being 'rested' for now - will find out when the VFL side is published.

Really like Riley's attack on the footy, so I'm glad to hear the news he may be about to sign a contract extension.

josie
19-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Now for Rhylee West!!!

GVGjr
19-08-2022, 04:50 PM
Now for Rhylee West!!!

I hope this gets done soon. He's come too far this season to end up leaving us.

josie
19-08-2022, 04:52 PM
The two Riley’s/Rhylees both have a bit of controlled aggro and will to win the ball. We need more of that. That’s what we had in 2016.

EasternWest
19-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Now for Rhylee West!!!

Is there anywhere we can see the contract status of all our players?

Swoop
19-08-2022, 06:32 PM
I hope this gets done soon. He's come too far this season to end up leaving us.

If I'm Rhylee West, I'm looking elsewhere. It's quite obvious that his skill set isn't valued. Despite his performances he has no credits and is dropped with a form dip yet someone like Vandermeer is promoted without VFL form and kept ahead of him. This is just as a forward because he can't get a look in as a midfielder.

If another club offers him a contract my advice would be to go, but if no one comes knocking than he's forced to stay.

I'm disappointed on his behalf.

Axe Man
19-08-2022, 06:32 PM
Is there anywhere we can see the contract status of all our players?

If you stare directly into the sun for 5 minutes you will see all.

Axe Man
19-08-2022, 06:37 PM
If I'm Rhylee West, I'm looking elsewhere. It's quite obvious that his skill set isn't valued. Despite his performances he has no credits and is dropped with a form dip yet someone like Vandermeer is promoted without VFL form and kept ahead of him. This is just as a forward because he can't get a look in as a midfielder.

If another club offers him a contract my advice would be to go, but if no one comes knocking than he's forced to stay.

Is that you Scott? He's just played 13 games straight but we clearly don't value him. Please.

Swoop
19-08-2022, 06:40 PM
Yes it is.

GVGjr
19-08-2022, 06:48 PM

You make some good points Swoop but I hope you're wrong. He's taken a good step forward this season and should be pleased with his progress. 14 games is a good achievement.

I guess his manager would be checking clubs and after 4 years with us he should be looking at the best deal but what clubs would he fit into? Perhaps St Kilda and Essendon for Victorian clubs.

EasternWest
19-08-2022, 08:08 PM
If you stare directly into the sun for 5 minutes you will see all.

I'm neither Scomo nor Trump. Fool me twice, can't get fooled again.

Although funnily enough I was just watching an amazing sunset for more than five minutes. No contract revelations though.

Grantysghost
19-08-2022, 08:18 PM
I'm neither Scomo nor Trump. Fool me twice, can't get fooled again.

Although funnily enough I was just watching an amazing sunset for more than five minutes. No contract revelations though.

Now watch this drive.

The best ever George Dubya moment was when he tried to leave the stage somewhere and the door was locked.

https://youtu.be/SHjIb6trxBI

G-Mo77
19-08-2022, 08:22 PM

It'll be another player who burns us at another club and I don't blame him

WBFC4FFC
19-08-2022, 10:31 PM
It'll be another player who burns us at another club and I don't blame him

West is more of a natural midfielder and the Club should be keeping him. He is the next in line should we suffer a serious injury in the middle and/or departure.

Given Duryea has been selected, along with Richards, Daniel and Dale in the back-half, I sense Daniel will be playing further up the ground. (Well that is my hope).

The lack of connection up forward the last few weeks has been a struggle. Daniel can only help with this, given he naturally lowers his eyes.

Thus on this basis, West misses. Vanders has obviously not set the world on fire but he is there for the pace, especially as JJ is injured.

anfo27
20-08-2022, 09:21 AM
West is more of a natural midfielder and the Club should be keeping him. He is the next in line should we suffer a serious injury in the middle and/or departure.

Given Duryea has been selected, along with Richards, Daniel and Dale in the back-half, I sense Daniel will be playing further up the ground. (Well that is my hope).

The lack of connection up forward the last few weeks has been a struggle. Daniel can only help with this, given he naturally lowers his eyes.

Thus on this basis, West misses. Vanders has obviously not set the world on fire but he is there for the pace, especially as JJ is injured.

Agree with you on West. He is a clever player with the ball & would love to see him given more responsibility in the midfield.

Pace is so over rated. I don't care if you run fast & then turn it over. Pace when used correctly is a dangerous weapon but we are easily wooed by anyone with pace. Ed uses his pace well to take the game on & then take the right option. VDM is fast but a poor user & finisher. When you kick the ball to the right spot nobody can outrun the ball.

WBFC4FFC
22-08-2022, 05:57 PM
Agree with you on West. He is a clever player with the ball & would love to see him given more responsibility in the midfield.

Pace is so over rated. I don't care if you run fast & then turn it over. Pace when used correctly is a dangerous weapon but we are easily wooed by anyone with pace. Ed uses his pace well to take the game on & then take the right option. VDM is fast but a poor user & finisher. When you kick the ball to the right spot nobody can outrun the ball.

Agree with what you have said but the present composition of the side is slow.

With the 6-6-6 rule, we get beat out of the centre when the opposition has some pace. If they get the ball they know they can run away from our Mids and hence, they have time to steady and hit-up a target.

As much as Treloar is good down back, he is required in the middle. Hence his recruitment originally!

The Doctor
23-08-2022, 09:26 AM
Jon Ralph reporting Toby McLean will get a new deal

josie
23-08-2022, 11:12 AM
Jon Ralph reporting Toby McLean will get a new deal

Great news. Club’s support of players who have had multiple acl’s has paid off; Clay, Libba, Roarke. Some don’t work out so well eg big Red but Redpath was unfortunately injury cursed and presumably big lads may have lower chance of success (pure guesswork on my part). Shows other players including potential ones we are a caring club which hopefully contributes positively to player contract decisions.

The Doctor
23-08-2022, 11:53 AM
Sam Edmund reporting on Dunkley

to paraphrase

"lots of tooing and frowing. In constant talks between each other. Dogs would like to have had it done by now but nothing to suggest he's leaving. If I was a betting man, he stays".

GVGjr
23-08-2022, 12:04 PM

to paraphrase

"lots of tooing and frowing. In constant talks between each other. Dogs would like to have had it done by now but nothing to suggest he's leaving. If I was a betting man, he stays".

That would be a great outcome if we can get this done.

1eyedog
23-08-2022, 12:11 PM

to paraphrase

To come out and tell Bevo he's leaving after our last match would be understandable for him but a bit shit to Bevo and the club. I mean who wants to say they're leaving to their mates while still playing / playing finals? Would be great if he could be professional and say I'm leaving but I'm giving 100% on the field until I do. 100% respect for that.

Happy Days
23-08-2022, 12:14 PM
Without anything statistical to back this up I feel like there’s been a noticeable uptick in our use of Dunks the past month or so. Feels like he’s become a first choice centre square player again.

Axe Man
23-08-2022, 12:14 PM

to paraphrase

If he was intent on leaving surely he wouldn't bother "tooing and frowing"? Doesn't mean he stays but sounds like he's not definitely out the door yet either.

I wonder what the sticking points are? Dollars? Years? A designated parking space next to Treloar?

bornadog
23-08-2022, 12:20 PM
If he was intent on leaving surely he wouldn't bother "tooing and frowing"? Doesn't mean he stays but sounds like he's not definitely out the door yet either.

I wonder what the sticking points are? Dollars? Years? A designated parking space next to Treloar?

All of the above

Seriously though, I bet it is dollars. He sees what Treloar is on and wants the same.

azabob
23-08-2022, 12:22 PM
All of the above

Seriously though, I bet it is dollars. He sees what Treloar is on and wants the same.

#BrandDunkley

I wonder if North Melbourne will come late and hard? Especially if Clarkson thinks Dunkley is what he'd like.

bornadog
23-08-2022, 12:23 PM
#BrandDunkley

I wonder if North Melbourne will come late and hard? Especially if Clarkson thinks Dunkley is what he'd like.

Clarkson already scouring the league. However, I think at least 4 to 5 before they play finals

Grantysghost
23-08-2022, 12:29 PM
All of the above

I think that's accurate. He's about maximising potential and I get it, they have a small window of opportunity.

If I had to guess he would rather go to a side where he can build his off-field / business networks.

So Norf maybe not, Essendon more likely.

It's what many of the AFLw players have done. Libby Birch for eg has a column in The Age.

EasternWest
23-08-2022, 03:39 PM
Without anything statistical to back this up I feel like there’s been a noticeable uptick in our use of Dunks the past month or so. Feels like he’s become a first choice centre square player again.

Funny you say that, I've always been a bit ambivalent about him as far as his necessity to our side. But lately he's just been so important, and with Libba being ancient if we lost Dunkley we'd have no real hardness in the middle.

So I would really prefer him to stay now. Sorry jeemak.

Mofra
23-08-2022, 04:14 PM
All of the above

Well Treloar is a $600k player who did the right thing by Collingwood and had his payments delayed - they're merely paying $300k per season to pay back what they owe him.
If Dunks wants $600k pa I couldn't offer that quick enough. Plenty of worse footballers right now on more than that

chef
23-08-2022, 05:00 PM
I'd have him in our top 5 players so he deserves a great salary. I find it a bit weird how unpopular he seems on here at times, though he has his limitations he's someone who can be trusted to always show up and have a crack.

bornadog
23-08-2022, 05:19 PM
I'd have him in our top 5 players so he deserves a great salary. I find it a bit weird how unpopular he seems on here at times, though he has his limitations he's someone who can be trusted to always show up and have a crack.

Great player, a beast at his best. I really don't want him to leave - come on Sam, sign him up.

GVGjr
23-08-2022, 05:27 PM

He's a a first rate player but as you say with some limitations and we thought that highly of him he was every in our leadership group a couple of years back.
I'm not sure why it's taking so long but he deserves a good deal as long as he is reasonable with his requests.

azabob
23-08-2022, 06:36 PM

Once burnt, twice shy.

Everyone on this board would've emotionally invested in Josh Dunkley and then for him to turn around and ask for a trade mid contract kind of put everyone on the back foot.

If the club didn't hold its nerve he would be gone.

I guess its half expected he's out the door; so he becomes an easy target?

Mantis
23-08-2022, 07:18 PM
Great player, a beast at his best. I really don't want him to leave - come on Sam, sign him up.

You would think Sam would’ve liked him signed up long ago given it’s reported that Josh had a contract put to him a while back.

The delay in signing is very much on Dunks & his manager.

Bumper Bulldogs
23-08-2022, 07:29 PM
The delay in signing is very much on Dunks & his manager.

Agree. He is looking for his payday and he gives 100% but is not loyal to the club or playing group.

anfo27
24-08-2022, 02:39 PM
Agree with what you have said but the present composition of the side is slow.

With the 6-6-6 rule, we get beat out of the centre when the opposition has some pace. If they get the ball they know they can run away from our Mids and hence, they have time to steady and hit-up a target.

As much as Treloar is good down back, he is required in the middle. Hence his recruitment originally!

They know they can run away from our mids because we defend the centre bounce poorly. It surely has to do with positioning & mindset & not pace. Yeah pace is great if you know how to use it but if you turn it over you can never run back quick enough to stop your mistake.
Every single team when they lose look 'slow'. Its such a cop out & an easy way to look at the game. Good players who read the game are already on the move cause they see it unfolding before others.
As for the 6-6-6 rule, aren't the chickens coming home to roost now? Even when we won the flag our defenders weren't great one on one. We relied on team defence. Thats the knock I have on the great man Bevo, in his entire time with us we've always had lousy one on one defenders, except Moz of course.

Mantis
30-08-2022, 03:30 PM
New deals announced for:

Toby McLean - 1 year
Robbie McComb - 1 year
Cody Raak - 1 year
Riley Garcia - 2 years

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1210741/exciting-quartet-sign-on-at-bulldogs

bornadog
30-08-2022, 03:32 PM
Sam still has work to do (or does he)

Rhylee West: 2022
Josh Schache: 2022
Louis Butler: 2022
Zaine Cordy: 2022
Taylor Duryea: 2022
Mitch Wallis: 2022
Stefan Martin: 2022
Charlie Parker: 2022 (Rookie)

DOG GOD
30-08-2022, 03:36 PM

Good question…I could see all them being a mix of wanting the door or shown the door.

bornadog
30-08-2022, 04:15 PM

BTW - Keath triggered an extra year.

Mitcha
30-08-2022, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately I think it's a case of either Dunkley OR West on the list with us next year. I reckon Rhylee will stay if Dunks moves on otherwise he will look for more midfield time elsewhere himself. Would love to keep both but can't see it happening.

GVGjr
30-08-2022, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately I think it's a case of either Dunkley OR West on the list with us next year. I reckon Rhylee will stay if Dunks moves on otherwise he will look for more midfield time elsewhere himself. Would love to keep both but can't see it happening.

There is room for both though so it it would be a shame to lose either of them.

meenies
30-08-2022, 07:23 PM

Rhylee is the one for me. The one with the most upside.
Expect Mitch will get a one year contract. Maybe Taylor depending on his finals campaign.

1eyedog
30-08-2022, 07:52 PM
They know they can run away from our mids because we defend the centre bounce poorly. It surely has to do with positioning & mindset & not pace. Yeah pace is great if you know how to use it but if you turn it over you can never run back quick enough to stop your mistake.
Every single team when they lose look 'slow'. Its such a cop out & an easy way to look at the game. Good players who read the game are already on the move cause they see it unfolding before others.
As for the 6-6-6 rule, aren't the chickens coming home to roost now? Even when we won the flag our defenders weren't great one on one. We relied on team defence. Thats the knock I have on the great man Bevo, in his entire time with us we've always had lousy one on one defenders, except Moz of course.

Hamling was actually very, very good one on one for us and against bigger opponent too.

1eyedog
30-08-2022, 07:55 PM
There is room for both though so it it would be a shame to lose either of them.

Is there though? Our midfield is stacked Smith, Treloar and Dunkley would be prime blue chip mids at about 16 other clubs. Dunkley gets named at HF, Adz at HB and Smith's on a wing most games with short bursts in the middle.

West is a fair way back at the moment.

While I'm at it what's wrong with Macrae? Has not been firing at all and I'm actually looking for ways to hide him in the team outside the middle at the moment.

DOG GOD
30-08-2022, 09:47 PM
Is there though? Our midfield is stacked Smith, Treloar and Dunkley would be prime blue chip mids at about 16 other clubs. Dunkley gets named at HF, Adz at HB and Smith's on a wing most games with short bursts in the middle.

While I'm at it what's wrong with Macrae? Has not been firing at all and I'm actually looking for ways to hide him in the team outside the middle at the moment.

Problem with macrae, if he’s not in the guts, where can he play? Doesn’t have the pace needed to play on the wing, and I can’t imagine him half back. Or is it that he just cracks the shits if he’s not getting 90% centre square ?

jazzadogs
30-08-2022, 09:51 PM

I'm hoping he was sore and the week off will get him right. Really hoping.

F'scary
31-08-2022, 10:09 AM
New deals announced for:

Toby McLean - 1 year
Robbie McComb - 1 year
Cody Raak - 1 year
Riley Garcia - 2 years

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1210741/exciting-quartet-sign-on-at-bulldogs

that's 4 spots or nearly 10% of the list.

Happy for McLean and Raak 1 year deals.

But why 2 years for Garcia? 1 would have done.

And McComb should not have been resigned.

The Doctor
31-08-2022, 10:22 AM
Rhylee West: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-15/west-resigns-for-two-more?fbclid=IwAR10ihTVX91PaUuu1oXgonP5bmJd_YVX8fjHJLMlBf_n9c L5IGBMhGd8HbA)
Josh Schache: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/209163/schaches-new-deal)
Louis Butler: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/980010/?fbclid=IwAR3b9E0HiTTGSLfquL6WDzHVGasYKYDwDNYR0mtoPHBFdWxCuW-9PQxOoB0)
Zaine Cordy: 2022 (https://www.afl.com.au/news/663027/tigers-free-agent-set-for-new-deal-premiership-dog-hits-trigger)
Taylor Duryea: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1003352/duryea-locked-in-for-2022?fbclid=IwAR20dBmLo9PH-bWohtMA02Qem7sAyLAqUUYDiIfxV_QHWbKZEVpGU2q3vLQ)
Mitch Wallis: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1025191/wallis-commits-to-the-kennel)
Stefan Martin: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1028726/martin-to-play-on-in-2022)
Charlie Parker: 2022 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1034063/2021-afl-rookie-draft-pick-17-charlie-parker) (Rookie)

Well done to the boys on their contract extensions.

Seems like Wally will get an extension.

With Jones & Lobb coming in it likely means 5 of the above primary list will depart. More if we trade for any other players like Rowe or another key defender.

bornadog
31-08-2022, 10:27 AM
Well done to the boys on their contract extensions.

Seems like Wally will get an extension.

With Jones & Lobb coming in it likely means 5 of the above primary list will depart. More if we trade for any other players like Rowe or another key defender.

Keath has triggered another year. We need 3 for drafting, plus 2 for Jones and Lobb, so which 5 come out? Parker is a Rookie.

JJ, Schache, Butler, Martin, and one of Dunkley, Wally, Duryea, Cordy and West?

The only other way is trading a contracted player like Crozier

EasternWest
31-08-2022, 10:32 AM
that's 4 spots or nearly 10% of the list.

Happy for McLean and Raak 1 year deals.

But why 2 years for Garcia? 1 would have done.

And McComb should not have been resigned.

Garcia can play. I'm happy for two years.

Also it's good to have you back scary.

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2022, 10:33 AM
Keath has triggered another year. We need 3 for drafting, plus 2 for Jones and Lobb, so which 5 come out? Parker is a Rookie.

JJ, Schache, Butler, Martin, and one of Dunkley, Wally, Duryea, Cordy and West?

The only other way is trading a contracted player like Crozier

Contracted players are traded all the time. They can also be delisted and rookied or paid out.

It is time for Crozier to go.

Bullies
02-09-2022, 10:02 AM
Garcia can play. I'm happy for two years.

Also it's good to have you back scary. Garcia was offered a 3 year deal by the Eagles for a bit more coin as well.

Axe Man
02-09-2022, 10:18 AM
Contracted players are traded all the time. They can also be delisted and rookied or paid out.

It is time for Crozier to go.

If we can work out a trade for peanuts for Crozier to give him a chance of game time elsewhere - great. I'm dead against forcibly paying out a contracted player unless they are somehow failing their obligations. Sends a terrible message to current and prospective players that the club will cast you aside on a whim.

Bulldog Joe
02-09-2022, 11:48 AM
If we can work out a trade for peanuts for Crozier to give him a chance of game time elsewhere - great. I'm dead against forcibly paying out a contracted player unless they are somehow failing their obligations. Sends a terrible message to current and prospective players that the club will cast you aside on a whim.

While I agree in principle, list spots are a serious commodity and we need a minimum of 3 after trades and delistings.

Crozier can find another club or take his payment and play VFL.

If we delisted him and played him at Footscray he would have as much chance of being picked up by another club at the end of 2023 as he would by staying on the list and just playing at Footscray.

Either way he gets his money, but the club can use the list spot for someone who could be a worthwhile addition.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-09-2022, 08:57 AM
Really why would West stay. He would have been great last night against Freo. Instead we play VDM and McComb ahead of him after the year of class and grunt he brings to the team. Yes as a young player he needs more consistency but how he is not ahead of these types is beyond belief really. West is made for Finals and as an outsider looking in. He has been treated poorly for a long time.

GVGjr
04-09-2022, 09:03 AM
Really why would West stay. He would have been great last night against Freo. Instead we play VDM and McComb ahead of him after the year of class and grunt he brings to the team. Yes as a young player he needs more consistency but how he is not ahead of these types is beyond belief really. West is made for Finals and as an outsider looking in. He has been treated poorly for a long time.

In fairness he lost his spot after 3 unproductive games and it's not like he was just dropped for no good reason but there are some good reasons for him to stay other than just fighting for his spot.
The main one is if Dunkley leaves there is a full time midfield role available for West.

anfo27
04-09-2022, 11:50 AM
In fairness he lost his spot after 3 unproductive games and it's not like he was just dropped for no good reason but there are some good reasons for him to stay other than just fighting for his spot.
The main one is if Dunkley leaves there is a full time midfield role available for West.

Agree his form tapered off the last few weeks but Van Der Rubbish had done nothing to get in the team & did nothing once he got in the team. He runs fast, big deal! does nothing with the ball! McCrap big & strong but again does nothing with the ball but turn it over.

Our MC has been infiltrated by haters deliberately trying to bring us down. Can't think of another reason why they love Van der Rubbish & McCrap!

F'scary
04-09-2022, 02:59 PM
Garcia was offered a 3 year deal by the Eagles for a bit more coin as well.

Seems strange that he would have taken our deal then.

F'scary
04-09-2022, 03:00 PM
Agree his form tapered off the last few weeks but Van Der Rubbish had done nothing to get in the team & did nothing once he got in the team. He runs fast, big deal! does nothing with the ball! McCrap big & strong but again does nothing with the ball but turn it over.

Our MC has been infiltrated by haters deliberately trying to bring us down. Can't think of another reason why they love Van der Rubbish & McCrap!

List cloggers both of them. In fact, they play like they were wearing clogs.

Bulldog4life
04-09-2022, 03:44 PM

Not their fault they are selected. They are members of our squad. Show them a bit of respect by using their correct names. It's offensive.

bornadog
04-09-2022, 04:06 PM
Not their fault they are selected. They are members of our squad. Show them a bit of respect by using their correct names. It's offensive.

McComb hasn't been in the starting 22 for what 6 games or more?

Bulldog4life
04-09-2022, 04:31 PM
McComb hasn't been in the starting 22 for what 6 games or more?

Once any player pulls on the red, white and blue jumper I will always support them. I was told that by my dad in the 60's whereas his brother used to scream out "saw his bloody leg off" mixed with a few other expletives and other assortments of ridicule. Reckon my dad's idea was please don't turn out to be like your uncle.:)

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 05:35 PM
Van der Rubbish & McCrap!

I've got no time for this garbage at all.

Bulldog4life
04-09-2022, 06:07 PM

Yep let's not follow Trump's name calling logic for heaven's sake.

Grantysghost
04-09-2022, 06:21 PM

McNeil deserves better.

He wasn't even playing!

anfo27
04-09-2022, 08:02 PM

Respect is earned & not given. They are footballers, thats it! Because they run around in a footy jumper & earn a living for it doesn't mean they have earned my respect. Apologies if you're offended & didn't intended it to be that way but if he was rubbish then I'll call him rubbish.

anfo27
04-09-2022, 08:05 PM

I don't post what i feel to please you. If you don't like it, thats totally fine.

Mantis
04-09-2022, 08:05 PM
Respect is earned & not given. They are footballers, thats it! Because they run around in a footy jumper & earn a living for it doesn't mean they have earned my respect. Apologies if you're offended & didn't intended it to be that way but if he was rubbish then I'll call him rubbish.

Call them rubbish all you want, but the petty names are childish & immature.

Do better.

EasternWest
04-09-2022, 08:19 PM
I don't post what i feel to please you. If you don't like it, thats totally fine.

I wouldn't want you to. I want to hear your opinion, even if I disagree.

I'm just not here for petty name calling. There's a reason I, and I dare say most of us, come here instead if big footy.

I've always enjoyed your contributions, and will continue to do so, but the above is below you.

Bullies
05-09-2022, 08:44 AM
Seems strange that he would have taken our deal then. i think he felt he owe us as we recruited him while he was going through his rehab with his knee and then we retained him after his other injuries. Also some people may enjoy the environment and the club. Not always about the coin.

Bullies
05-09-2022, 08:47 AM
Seems strange that he would have taken our deal then. He may have felt he owes the club who recruited him while has was going through rehab and also through his other injuries. He may also enjoy the club and the enviromnment.

soupman
05-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Seems strange that he would have taken our deal then.

Could also be an element of faith in his ability. If you are a young talented player who has yet to establish themselves as an AFL player, but are confident you will in the next two years, why would you sign a backup contract on likely less than $200K when by year 3 you think you'd be good enough to demand something like $400K plus?

Even if West Coast are offering more, say Dogs offer is $200K for 2 years, West Coast is $250K for 3, if Garcia thinks he could make the jump up to $400K by his third year at the dogs he is looking at $800K vs $750K for the same period, gets to stay in an environment he enjoys and with a club he feels part of.

Whether or not he should be signing the longest contracts offered to him with his injury history is a different matter though, although he can ask Roarke about whether the Dogs stick with fringe players they rate or not.

F'scary
05-09-2022, 12:17 PM
Yep let's not follow Trump's name calling logic for heaven's sake.

So you want inaccurate name calling instead?

EasternWest
05-09-2022, 12:21 PM
So you want inaccurate name calling instead?

How about we just use their names?

F'scary
05-09-2022, 12:26 PM
He may have felt he owes the club who recruited him while has was going through rehab and also through his other injuries. He may also enjoy the club and the enviromnment.

Could also be an element of faith in his ability. If you are a young talented player who has yet to establish themselves as an AFL player, but are confident you will in the next two years, why would you sign a backup contract on likely less than $200K when by year 3 you think you'd be good enough to demand something like $400K plus?

Even if West Coast are offering more, say Dogs offer is $200K for 2 years, West Coast is $250K for 3, if Garcia thinks he could make the jump up to $400K by his third year at the dogs he is looking at $800K vs $750K for the same period, gets to stay in an environment he enjoys and with a club he feels part of.

Whether or not he should be signing the longest contracts offered to him with his injury history is a different matter though, although he can ask Roarke about whether the Dogs stick with fringe players they rate or not.

Fair enough.

bornadog
14-09-2022, 02:48 PM
New deal for Dogs' son of a gun after breakout year (https://www.afl.com.au/news/842746/new-deal-for-dogs-son-of-a-gun-after-breakout-year)

Rhylee West has signed a two-year deal to remain at the Western Bulldogs

​WESTERN Bulldogs young gun Rhylee West will remain at the Whitten Oval for at least two more years after re-signing with the club on Wednesday.

After being starved of opportunity across his first three seasons at the club, the 22-year-old played 14 games in 2022 to show why he was so highly rated in his draft year.

AFL.com.au can reveal the son of Western Bulldogs great, Scott West, has put pen to paper on a deal that will see him remain at the club until the end of 2024.

While most of the focus at The Kennel has been on the future of star midfielder Josh Dunkley – who is still yet to announce his decision amid approaches from Brisbane and Port Adelaide – West has also drawn some interest from rival clubs.

When Luke Beveridge dropped West ahead of the Dogs' crucial trip to Tasmania in round 23, there was a fear that West may have played his final game in the red, white and blue.

But while he hasn't been able to secure a permanent spot in the Western Bulldogs' engine room just yet, the Victorian proved damaging inside 50 through the middle part of the season, hitting the scoreboard with his own boot and via assists.

West produced a standout performance against Hawthorn in round 15 when he kicked 3.3 from 19 disposals, 12 contested possessions and six marks to earn seven votes in the AFL Coaches Association's Champion Player of the Year award.

The Underdog
14-09-2022, 02:51 PM
Awesome news on Westy. Wonder if they dangled some of Dunkley’s midfield minutes as a potential carrot.

EasternWest
14-09-2022, 02:53 PM
Good news.

whythelongface
14-09-2022, 02:54 PM
Great news. Given his improvement this year it was concerning that him leaving the club was a possibility. TBH I was more concerned about losing West than Dunks.

GVGjr
14-09-2022, 03:00 PM
I think the two year is an appropriate one as well. He's had a break out season but had a lapse in form later in the season. We will know how good he might be within the next 2 seasons.

G-Mo77
14-09-2022, 03:05 PM
Out of Dunkley and potentially West leaving, I would have been more upset if West was to go. This is terrific news!!!

Bullies
14-09-2022, 03:54 PM
Out of Dunkley and potentially West leaving, I would have been more upset if West was to go. This is terrific news!!!
Agree. He will be the midfield bull once Libber finishes up.

Good opportunity with Dunks going to get minutes in the midfield next year and build his tank.

hujsh
14-09-2022, 04:04 PM
Awesome news on Westy. Wonder if they dangled some of Dunkley’s midfield minutes as a potential carrot.

Yeah I suspect this is pretty definitive proof the club considers Dunks gone (if more proof was needed).

West is a good fit for the mid/forward role since he has shown he can do the forward part of that role pretty well. Might start with the least midfield minutes of the main group but given injury, suspension or just basic father time here and there to other players should mean he gets plenty of opportunity to show what he can do in there.

Is suspect his main competition might be McLean

josie
14-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Wonderful news regarding Rhylee West. Expect some supporters may have considered dragging out their pitchforks and heading down to WO if we had not signed him up.

I’m totally over Dunks circus and hope we end up with some good pick(s) we can turn into speedy, skilful player(s) and a younger decent KPD (not just Jones).

Bumper Bulldogs
14-09-2022, 08:55 PM
Gold!

Very happy he is sticking by us. I recon he will be in for a huge pay day next contract negotiation

HOSE B ROMERO
14-09-2022, 09:42 PM
Westy more than capable of stepping into the midfield role. And he will be more than capable of getting into the faces of the opposition.

KT31
14-09-2022, 10:01 PM
Great news.

Swoop
14-09-2022, 10:34 PM
No one has mentioned the fact that Rhylee's "form drop" actually coincided with a role change. He was on record as stating that he was playing a different role while Baz missed with his suspension. His opportunity and output reduced once Smith returned.

Hopefully there's a spot there with improvement and the loss of Dunkley.

FrediKanoute
14-09-2022, 11:11 PM
No one has mentioned the fact that Rhylee's "form drop" actually coincided with a role change. He was on record as stating that he was playing a different role while Baz missed with his suspension. His opportunity and output reduced once Smith returned.

Not sure it was Baz's return, but more Vander's and Bruce's return to the side. I thought they crowded out West.

Bulldog4life
15-09-2022, 10:49 AM

Yes I remember that Swoop. Said how much he had enjoyed his mid field minutes although not huge....or words to the effect.

F'scary
15-09-2022, 12:37 PM
West = good news.

bornadog
26-09-2022, 06:03 PM
Johannisen stays in red, white and blue (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1229243/)

Jason Johannisen will extend his time at VU Whitten Oval after signing a new two-year deal to remain at the Western Bulldogs until at least the end of the 2024 season.

Taken with the 39th pick in the 2011 Rookie Draft, the 29-year-old has built a career spanning over a decade full of achievements and success.

Johannisen claimed the Norm Smith Medal during the 2016 Grand Final triumph, amassing 176 games and 70 goals over the journey so far.

The forward played eight games across 2022, with his impact limited due to injury, kicking eight goals and averaging 11 touches per game.

After ten years of affiliation with the Bulldogs, Johannisen was pleased to continue his journey at VU Whitten Oval.

“The Western Bulldogs is a really special place to me and I couldn’t be happier to get the chance to continue playing football here for the next few years,” Johannisen said.

“It’s a really positive time to be a part of this team, our list is exciting as we continue to strive for sustained success.”

“I’ve got lifelong friends here, I love pulling on the red, white and blue each week in front of our amazing supporters and fans.”

“I’m incredibly grateful to the club for having the faith in me throughout my career and into the future.”

Bulldogs General Manager – List & Recruiting, Sam Power was thrilled to have Johannisen sign on for a further two seasons.

“We’re really pleased to have Jason commit to the club for another two years,” Power said.

“Jason has played a variety of roles for the team over the past few years and his experience in the game will prove a valuable asset for the club moving forward.”

“He sets a high standard for himself on field and is much-loved by his teammates off it.”

bulldogtragic
26-09-2022, 06:07 PM
If Hunter leaves, can JJ play wing?

Grantysghost
26-09-2022, 06:07 PM
Aka no one else was interested!

I'm ok with it.

As long as he gives everything he has.