PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors, Rnd 22, 2019 vs GWS

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2019, 05:48 PM
This is the round 22, 2019 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against GWS is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2019, 07:02 PM
B

Pro's. Had them down, and put them down for percentage and mental scaring.
Young. The 2019 version of Hamling breaking in before finals and doing the job.
Schache & Naughton beating another defence.
Showed Tippa why to accept our offer last week. Showed Tomlinson why to accept our offer this week.

A

Over turning a goal on no evidence.
Commentators not knowing anything about our club, players, etc.
Missing a few east goals. Could've been worse for them.

westbulldog
18-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Bankers
Another great team effort, midfield smashed them.
Trengove, I thought he was pretty good today.
Lewis Young, should have been in weeks ago, silenced the doubters.

Anchors
Richards, very promising kid but needs to do more, may make way for West.
Dickson, 2 good goals but rarely sighted after the first qtr.
Hunter, great possession winner but his kicking lets him down at times.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Bankers

Bailey Smith backed himself to use is pace to get through traffic and kick ling more than I've seen. A good time of year for him to be recognising and having the confidence to back his instincts.
Lewy Young. Looked shaky one on one early on, but from there played his best game since his debut.
Easton Wood. Best game of the year.

Anchors
Naughton shouldve had 4 goals, missed a couple of soda's. Needs to work on that hard over off season.
Hayes, worked hard all day, but looked sloppy with ball use and decision making.

bornadog
18-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Bankers

* Lippa - great game ran all day, 27 disposals, 10 contested, 7 tackles, 2 goals and 1 goal assist.

* Macrae, 10 weeks in a row with 30 plus disposals - AA performance

* The whole team in the second half

Anchors

Naughton two missed easy goals, and also the Bont easy miss.

Mantis
19-08-2019, 10:22 AM
Bankers

* Lippa - great game ran all day, 27 disposals, 10 contested, 7 tackles, 2 goals and 1 goal assist.

* Macrae, 10 weeks in a row with 30 plus disposals - AA performance

* The whole team in the second half

Anchors

Naughton two missed easy goals, and also the Bon't easy miss.

Which one was this?

I was more aggrieved with Hunter's miss in the 3rd when we were starting to get the momentum back.. lucky to score from 30m out.

Ozza
19-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Bankers:

Hunter's first half, particularly when we were up against it, he was everywhere.
Lewis Young responding brilliantly after a shaky start, great composure.
Bont - heavy tag and still found it 27 times and was a physical presence when they came for us.

Anchors:

Hard to anchor anyone when we demolish another top 8 side (now wins against Cats, Lions, Tigers, Giants, Bombers....plus Port were at the time we played them).

hujsh
19-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Which one was this?

I was more aggrieved with Hunter's miss in the 3rd when we were starting to get the momentum back.. lucky to score from 30m out.

Only one I can think of was the on from 50 out

Mofra
19-08-2019, 11:16 AM
B:

Bont, Macre, Dunkley - would not want to be an opposition mid lining up against that.
Trengove - leaves 100% on the paddock every game.
Lewis Young will be good in time. Judges the ball in flight really well.

A:

Hunter works so hard but that miss 35m out in front is poor from a leader.
Naughton needs to spend the week doing nothing but kicking for goal

bornadog
19-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Which one was this?

Last quarter. Add Hunter's to the list

Only one I can think of was the on from 50 out

More like 30m out, didn't even get close

azabob
19-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Last quarter. Add Hunter's to the list

More like 30m out, didn't even get close

Come on BAD Bont was 50 out.

Sedat
19-08-2019, 12:15 PM
Only anchor of note was it being a Ch 7 game, and as a result subjected to their inane, idiotic, unprofessional drivel masquerading as proper footy analysis and coverage.

bornadog
19-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Come on BAD Bont was 50 out.

Ok, found the kick on the replay and we can go halves, he was 40 metres out. :)

My point is he shouldn't miss those with his beautiful long kicking. He wasn't even close, but will concede he was probably fatigued.

azabob
19-08-2019, 12:24 PM

My point is he shouldn't miss those with his beautiful long kicking. He wasn't even close, but will concede he was probably fatigued.

I agree he should’ve at least scored.

azabob
19-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Only anchor of note was it being a Ch 7 game, and as a result subjected to their inane, idiotic, unprofessional drivel masquerading as proper footy analysis and coverage.

Just mute the commentary and play Spoon greatest hits on repeat for the entire game.

Mantis
19-08-2019, 12:49 PM

I haven't watched the replay, but I thought he kicked from about the 50m line which wasn't an easy kick at that end of the ground given the fluky breeze... the ball clearly wasn't carrying as far to the left of screen.

GVGjr
19-08-2019, 08:31 PM
It's interesting that for years anyone calling our our poor goal kicking performances have been shut down and now after a couple of good weeks in terms of wins and goal kicking accuracy Hunter has been taken to task

Yes he does have some limitations but I'm not sure he should cop it too much for that kick

Bulldog Joe
19-08-2019, 08:45 PM
I haven't watched the replay, but I thought he kicked from about the 50m line which wasn't an easy kick at that end of the ground given the fluky breeze... the ball clearly wasn't carrying as far to the left of screen.

I was at the game and he kicked right on the arc.

Ozza
19-08-2019, 10:59 PM
It's interesting that for years anyone calling our our poor goal kicking performances have been shut down and now after a couple of good weeks in terms of wins and goal kicking accuracy Hunter has been taken to task

Yes he does have some limitations but I'm not sure he should cop it too much for that kick

The rules with Hunter is to make sure you call out the bad kick - but ignore the 30% chance he kicks from near the boundary.

bornadog
19-08-2019, 11:14 PM
I was at the game and he kicked right on the arc.

It really is a mute point, but if you watch the replay he marked the ball 40 metres out. Maybe he kicked it from 50.

ratsmac
20-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Banker

1. Winning another elimination type game. And to top it off it's GWS.

2. Being ruthless again and putting the foot on the throat. 2 weeks in a row we has smashed the opposition.

3. Bailey Smith's 50 metre goal on the run. This kid us smooth and skillful and has an aggressive streak. I don't know what he does out there but the opposition always want to kill him.

4. Naughton's stare down of Phil Davis after he sat on his head taking a pack mark

Anchors

1. Goal review debacle. How they found evidence to overturn that goal is beyond me

2. Our bruise free start of the second quarter. GWS went to water when we turned up the heat.

Mantis
20-08-2019, 10:33 AM
The rules with Hunter is to make sure you call out the bad kick - but ignore the 30% chance he kicks from near the boundary.

Is that how it works? Do we also ignore his shot at goal from the boundary (soon after the missed set shot) that missed everything when he had several options in-board?

We all know he's a very important player especially with his 2-way running ability, but he needs to finish off his & our good work more often.

ratsmac
20-08-2019, 08:33 PM
Is that how it works? Do we also ignore his shot at goal from the boundary (soon after the missed set shot) that missed everything when he had several options in-board?

We all know he's a very important player especially with his 2-way running ability, but he needs to finish off his & our good work more often.

Very true. He could be an elite player if he could cleaned up his kicking.

ledge
20-08-2019, 09:03 PM
Very true. He could be an elite player if he could cleaned up his kicking.

Dangerfield is elite and his goal kicking set shot percentage is at 9% ! So I think that makes Hunter elite ;-)

SonofScray
20-08-2019, 10:45 PM
B:

Duryea, he is a lynch pin for our back six. Loved his aggressive tackle on the outer wing early in the game.
Trengove, classic battling big man game from him. That's what I I,agibned my best days playing footy looked like.
Bont bump and aggro.

A:
MRO
Wayne Campbell. Still a squib and a sook. It's a disgrace the prick ever was involved with us.
Toby Greene, just because he is a stain.

ledge
20-08-2019, 11:26 PM
B . Our Team work with speed, attack and lowering the eyes to hit up forwards will beat anyone.

A. Can we keep it up ?

Before I Die
21-08-2019, 12:27 AM
Dangerfield is elite and his goal kicking set shot percentage is at 9% ! So I think that makes Hunter elite ;-)

Hunter 5 goals 8 behinds

Bontempelli 14 goals 24 behinds

Macrae 4 goals 2 behinds

Dunkley 11 goals 8 behinds

Liberatore 6 goals 8 behinds

Bankers: Dale, Dickson, Schache and Lipinski for fixing up our forward line accuracy by all having over 70% accuracy. The impact of their return to the team has been significant.

Anchors: Posters for singling out Hunter for lack of accuracy when he is on par with the Bont and Libba. They all, plus Richards, warrant a roast.

Mantis
21-08-2019, 10:33 AM

Don't let the facts get in the way of your story.

Mofra
21-08-2019, 11:55 AM
That 9% excludes set shots.

Axe Man
21-08-2019, 12:07 PM
It really is a mute point

A mute point? Is that something a mime artist makes?:D

merantau
22-08-2019, 10:21 AM
I heard a French journo boasting about all the French politicians and celebs he'd interviewed. It seemed he'd spoken to just about everyone. Then someone asked: "What about Marcel Marceu, have you interviewed him." Quick as a flash he answered, "Yes, of course. But he didn't have a lot to say."

westdog54
22-08-2019, 01:49 PM
I heard a French journo boasting about all the French politicians and celebs he'd interviewed. It seemed he'd spoken to just about everyone. Then someone asked: "What about Marcel Marceu, have you interviewed him." Quick as a flash he answered, "Yes, of course. But he didn't have a lot to say."

On a similar line, Stephen Fry once quipped on an episode of QI "My great uncle got his tongue shot off in the war. He never talked about it".

merantau
22-08-2019, 10:26 PM
On a similar line, Stephen Fry once quipped on an episode of QI "My great uncle got his tongue shot off in the war. He never talked about it".

Reminds me of that running joke in "Funky Squad". The character played by Tom Gleisner never spoke. There would always be someone who'd say, "He don't talk much." And Santo Chilaurio's character would say, "Neither would you if you'd copped a bullet in the tongue." Absolute ripper show was "Funky Squad." Must check for it on You Tube.

merantau
23-08-2019, 09:42 AM
Drink driving advice a la Stix from "Funky Squad."

https://youtu.be/L6XLbvitPKc