PDA

View Full Version : Would there be a more "BULLDOGS" thing to do than losing to Adelaide in Ballarat???

mjp
22-08-2019, 02:00 PM
- I don't like any part of this.
- I don't like how everyone has marked it down as a win.
- I don't like how everyone has dismissed Adelaide and is into their coach.
- I don't like that it is Adelaide (there is some history that is history but the wounds have still not really healed).
- I don't like how everyone is talking about us being a dangerous 'floater' in the finals when we aren't in the finals.

- I don't like any part of this at all.

jeemak
22-08-2019, 02:05 PM
It's genuinely set up to be a massive shit show.

Hopefully for the guys on our list they're still smarting about being kicked by Adelaide in 2015. Hopefully they use every bit of motivation they have to get into Adelaide Sunday.

comrade
22-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Yeah, it’s dicey but we should win.

Superstition about the past, the Bulldog way etc should mean nothing.

Plus we have Bont.

Mantis
22-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Over our last 7 rd23 games we are 1-6.

We'll learn a bit about the maturity of the group on Sunday which isn't a bad thing at this stage of their development.

Mofra
22-08-2019, 02:24 PM
If we lose to Adelaide we don't deserve to make finals anyway.

It's not a gimme but there is enough mongrel in this group to withstand a challenge then wear the opposition down. I actually thought GWS had the run of play during the first 10 minutes of the third quarter. Previous bulldog sides would have let goals through in that time, even the 2008-10 team which had the best Bulldog defensive unit I've seen in my lifetime.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2019, 02:24 PM
- I don't like that it is Adelaide (there is some history that is history but the wounds have still not really healed).
- I don't like how everyone is talking about us being a dangerous 'floater' in the finals when we aren't in the finals.

And I hope our playing group and coaches are preparing accordingly.

Daughter of the West
22-08-2019, 02:37 PM

This is precisely why I will not look at the scores until 4pm on Sunday. It has all the hallmarks of a bad, bad loss.

Rocket Science
22-08-2019, 03:00 PM
It's the farewell tilt for Douglas too, the most anonymous 246-gamer ever, and we're usually pretty obliging with those.

I get the fretting, it's in our freakin' DNA, but since the bye the Crows have beaten the Suns and the Saints and that's it.

Even if we're not at our untouchable best on Sunday, surely we still get this done.

Rocket Science
22-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Bevo saying all the right things (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/no-malice-or-intent-beveridge-surprised-by-bontempelli-fine-20190822-p52jp2.html), naturally ...

Beveridge believes it would be a “bloody shame” if his side fell at the final hurdle, but while admitting he has had to tell a few of the club’s over-excited fans to “cool your jets”, he said it was “brilliant” to have their destiny in their own hands.

“We’re not there yet. We’ve got to win this week, we don’t want it to be in the hands of the gods and lose and hope for percentage and all that sort of stuff,” Beveridge said.

“The feeling around the place is, ‘We’ve come this far and it would be a bloody shame [if we missed the finals]’, and we need to keep our heads in it and focus on beating Adelaide.”

westdog54
22-08-2019, 03:18 PM
It would have been a 'Bulldogs thing' to be blown away in the prelim after giving up the first 2 goals of the last quarter.

It would have been a 'Bulldogs thing' to drop our heads and capitulate after JJ's goal in the GF was overturned.

It would have been a 'Bulldogs thing' to go into cruise control in the latter stages of the Bombers and Giants games.

These are different Bulldogs.

Eastdog
22-08-2019, 03:35 PM
I’m not going there. I’m being very quiet on this.

Cyberdoggie
22-08-2019, 04:28 PM

I'm feeling exactly the same.... :(

There are just too many factors all aligning for the bulldogs pre 2016 to disappoint us.
I'm hoping this post 2016 bulldogs will not revert to the past.

Flamethrower
22-08-2019, 05:28 PM
A couple of things in our favour though...

- If Hawthorn upsets West Coast on Saturday (especially if it by 20 plus points), it virtually eliminates the Crows and Port from finals' contention due to their inferior percentage.

- It is still a must win for us - it is possible for us to lose and still finish 8th, but it is highly unlikely. The players know if they just show up expecting to win, they WILL lose (and all have to get "We Blew It" tattoos like the 1997 team).

- In the back of their minds, the Crows know that a close win opens the door for their arch rivals Port Adelaide to make the finals. I imagine that would be a worst case scenario for them. Unless the Crows blow us away, an honorable loss against the form team of the competition may be a better outcome for them than a close win that sees Port qualify for September.

bornadog
22-08-2019, 06:46 PM
Over our last 7 rd23 games we are 1-6.

We'll learn a bit about the maturity of the group on Sunday which isn't a bad thing at this stage of their development.

None of those were for a place in the 8

bornadog
22-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Adelaide a have a shit midfield, but other than that, they match up pretty well with us stats wise. Lets not forget they almost beat West Coast in Perth.

I think as usual, the better midfield will be the difference, and hopefully ours is on.

Twodogs
22-08-2019, 11:29 PM

You don't like green eggs and ham oh Sam I am?

Twodogs
22-08-2019, 11:33 PM
None of those were for a place in the 8

2017 we were a chance going into r23 of making the 8 but lost.

Sedat
23-08-2019, 10:08 AM
A couple of things in our favour though...

- If Hawthorn upsets West Coast on Saturday (especially if it by 20 plus points), it virtually eliminates the Crows and Port from finals' contention due to their inferior percentage.

- It is still a must win for us - it is possible for us to lose and still finish 8th, but it is highly unlikely. The players know if they just show up expecting to win, they WILL lose (and all have to get "We Blew It" tattoos like the 1997 team).

- In the back of their minds, the Crows know that a close win opens the door for their arch rivals Port Adelaide to make the finals. I imagine that would be a worst case scenario for them. Unless the Crows blow us away, an honorable loss against the form team of the competition may be a better outcome for them than a close win that sees Port qualify for September.
I see this as a key psychological component of Sunday's match. Unless we completely and utterly wet the bed, Adelaide simply aren't in good enough form to beat us by 25+ points in the wet away and from home, and anything less will simply open the door for Port.

I can definitely see the Crows being highly competitive but fade away as the match wears on, not dissimilar to their match in Perth 2 weeks ago.

It's a fantastic mental test for our playing group - hopefully they pass the test and secure their place in the finals.

The Doctor
23-08-2019, 11:39 AM
2017 we were a chance going into r23 of making the 8 but lost.

Don't get me started on 1986, 1987 & 1988 :mad:

Mofra
23-08-2019, 12:03 PM
I can definitely see the Crows being highly competitive but fade away as the match wears on, not dissimilar to their match in Perth 2 weeks ago.

It's a fantastic mental test for our playing group - hopefully they pass the test and secure their place in the finals.
Hopefully this plays out, although we may pick Trengove and go in taller than in recent weeks than when we've overrun sides.

GWS out played us for periods during last round, we hung in then overran them. Hopefully Ballarat pans out the same way. They do have genuine ball winners in the centre but their forwardline hasn't fired at all this year which helps as we do generate a lot of scoring from chains beginning in the defensive half of the ground.

Rocket Science
23-08-2019, 12:11 PM
This total and utter bastard.

https://i.ibb.co/5G8KM0N/Screen-Shot-2019-08-23-at-11-08-10-am.png (https://ibb.co/XjsY2Qh)

Raw Toast
23-08-2019, 12:14 PM

I'm with you on this, unfortunately. Haven't had a game that fills me with more dread for quite some time.

I've gone so far as beginning to rationalise it already. Here are some half-baked thoughts for if we do lose:

1) It better drive us through the preseason and 2020 season more generally, because it's clear what we can do (or if we lose, could have done), if we make/made it.

2) The second half of the season was impressive, our foundation is excellent, we should now move to a position where we are a powerhouse for a long time. It's time for us to begin to dominate this league.

azabob
23-08-2019, 12:17 PM
I’m not sure why we’d go in taller than the previous few rounds.

We have appeared well balanced across the ground and our results suggest this.

Having said that Trengrove will be very unlucky to be dropped.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2019, 12:39 PM

What we need is agility and adding English only diminishes that a little.

The Pie Man
23-08-2019, 12:56 PM
This speaks to our identity as Dogs fans
I've already visualized a late Adelaide goal snuffing out our comeback to the dull roar of their 750 fans in Mars Stadium and a very quiet walk back to the car post siren.
How can't we feel this way given our history. I was seriously anxious at half time last Sunday - like, seriously tense. Pre game 09 QF against Geelong tense (I was unbearable that day)

I do feel a little better when asking myself how valid my fears are.

It is a different group - I didn't feel like we'd win the GF at half time, with only Toby's late goal giving me some hope we had kept in touch - and it's a different group again.
From where we came from this season, to have a 'win and we're in' game is a fantastic position - so short of a thumping, I'm reasonably pleased with what they've achieved.

Don't want to be losing to Adelaide in what's essentially another elimination final - if we do, we do, but part of the reason I made the decision to drive up Sunday for this was for the chance to see us beat them when it means something.

The Pie Man
23-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Probably should save this for the MC thread - but I'm comfortable in the midfield numbers English can generate to play all he, Trengove & Young.

It'll be cold, but it won't be that wet (if wet at all) Can remember Dixon taking us apart up there previously.

Twodogs
23-08-2019, 01:20 PM
This speaks to our identity as Dogs fans
I've already visualized a late Adelaide goal snuffing out our comeback to the dull roar of their 750 fans in Mars Stadium and a very quiet walk back to the car post siren.
How can't we feel this way given our history. I was seriously anxious at half time last Sunday - like, seriously tense. Pre game 09 QF against Geelong tense (I was unbearable that day)

I do feel a little better when asking myself how valid my fears are.

It is a different group - I didn't feel like we'd win the GF at half time, with only Toby's late goal giving me some hope we had kept in touch - and it's a different group again.
From where we came from this season, to have a 'win and we're in' game is a fantastic position - so short of a thumping, I'm reasonably pleased with what they've achieved.

Don't want to be losing to Adelaide in what's essentially another elimination final - if we do, we do, but part of the reason I made the decision to drive up Sunday for this was for the chance to see us beat them when it means something.

On the afternoon of our very first night final (I want to say it was in 1994 V Geelong) I was storming around the house getting all het up and basically annoying anyone who came near me. My mum appeared with the dog attached to her lead and basically told me to *!*!*!*! off until I had calmed down a bit, then I could bring the dog home.

So I walked about 15 metres when I become aware of a giant (with a dog attached to a leash) coming into my view. It was Ijlia Grgic (he grew up around the corner from me) and as we walked past one another he looked at me and said "Your mum has cracked the shits too has she?"

The Pie Man
23-08-2019, 02:19 PM
^^^

That's gold Twodogs

Mantis
23-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Adelaide a have a shit midfield, but other than that, they match up pretty well with us stats wise. Lets not forget they almost beat West Coast in Perth.

I think as usual, the better midfield will be the difference, and hopefully ours is on.

What is the main reason why Adelaide as you quite eloquently put it, have a shit midfield?

Sedat
23-08-2019, 03:45 PM
What is the main reason why Adelaide as you quite eloquently put it, have a shit midfield?
They have excellent ball winners but are prone to getting killed on the spread against opposition midfields who have both pace and skill. We need to bring our inside A-game to nullify their inside midfield threat, and also to ensure their forward line doesn't get too many good looks.

On a wet and windy day, their weakness on the spread could be nullified if we aren't 100% on. They also have a potentially strong ruck stoppage game.

It won't be easy but I'm very much looking forward to the maturity of our group being tested. If we pass the test, it will be a positive for future tests in 2019 and beyond.

comrade
23-08-2019, 04:04 PM
A wet day also helps their defence which is solid aerially but fairly slow. Conditions should help them kill the high ball, so the likes of Dale & Lloyd are going to have to work hard to spread them (and our mids need to hit targets).

merantau
23-08-2019, 04:38 PM
There is more pressure on Adelaide than there is on us. They have never played in Ballarat and they are playing the form team of the competition.

We are in the box seat with a rails run and the wind at our backs. Just go out, get hands on the ball first, get numbers to every contest, run and spread when we've got it and work for each other. Seize the Day.

Twodogs
23-08-2019, 09:55 PM
^^^

That's gold Twodogs

Cheers. Around 2008 poor mum had an old ladies problem and was admitted to the Epworth as an emergency patient. She had the procedure on the Thursday and they moved her to a room with a really nice view. Dad and I visited her on the Friday but the problem was the view took in the MCG which was all lit up for the Friday night final that we were about to play in.

I'm sitting looking wistfully out of the window when I became aware of mum trying to get my attention. I heard her say "Look If you want to go to the football then just go. I know you hate hospitals and I don't want to lay here thinking that I am holding you back from your one true love and I don't want to take the blame that you missed out on a final. Just go.

At least I think that's what she said toward the end. I was already out of the door and on my way to the 'G!

Eastdog
23-08-2019, 10:01 PM
A wet day also helps their defence which is solid aerially but fairly slow. Conditions should help them kill the high ball, so the likes of Dale & Lloyd are going to have to work hard to spread them (and our mids need to hit targets).

We have had some experience in wet weather. Last time we played in wet weather we had a great win.

Mantis
24-08-2019, 09:12 AM
We have had some experience in wet weather. Last time we played in wet weather we had a great win.

When we played against Adel in wet weather last season they destroyed us. Being wet helps them more than us.

Mantis
24-08-2019, 09:15 AM
They have excellent ball winners but are prone to getting killed on the spread against opposition midfields who have both pace and skill. We need to bring our inside A-game to nullify their inside midfield threat, and also to ensure their forward line doesn't get too many good looks.

On a wet and windy day, their weakness on the spread could be nullified if we aren't 100% on. They also have a potentially strong ruck stoppage game.

It won't be easy but I'm very much looking forward to the maturity of our group being tested. If we pass the test, it will be a positive for future tests in 2019 and beyond.

I was hoping to see ‘bad’s’ response as he likes to throw out big lines without ever giving reasoning.

But agree, the Crouch boys get lots of the ball, but aren’t damaging and they don’t move the ball with speed.

bornadog
24-08-2019, 09:33 AM
I was hoping to see ‘bad’s’ response as he likes to throw out big lines without ever giving reasoning.

But agree, the Crouch boys get lots of the ball, but aren’t damaging and they don’t move the ball with speed.

Throw out big lines, :D:D, I must be special as you want to hear from me. Not sure why you care.

Any way, my two bobs worth, Adelaide mids are slow, one paced and not good on the spread and don’t get enough of the ball to be very damaging.

Hopefully,our boys are on tomorrow.

Dancin' Douggy
24-08-2019, 10:07 AM
I tell you what would be a "More Bulldogs" thing....
Big Tom Boyd's goal from inside the centre square in the 2016 PREMIERSHIP, bouncing the wrong way, back in to play and be run down the other end for a goal, and we lose.............but bit DIDN"T HAPPEN.

For the times........they are a changing..........

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 10:41 AM

While I'm confident of a win I agree we will need to bring our best effort against the Crows or it could be a struggle.

Haven't we turned the season around since the MC selections started making sense?

bornadog
24-08-2019, 01:19 PM
Haven't we turned the season around since the MC selections started making sense?

It's funny, the MC selections were strange to us supporters, but that is from the outside looking in. People were screaming for Lippa to come in, yet the MC kept playing him in the VFL, why you ask? Well at the time Gia explained what the plan was, but no one actually listened to his weekly review. There was a plan, the player performed to the plan and he got rewarded.

There are numerous examples of this. The only one I couldn't understand, was leaving out Trengove at the start of the season. Yes we tried Lew Young early on but it didn't work, but to go in against Carlton without Trengove or Young was a bit perplexing.

Overall the MC has done a terrific job this year, and we have had the least changes week to week, compared to other clubs. We have been lucky this year, there have been not too many injuries compared to the previous two years.

GVGjr
24-08-2019, 02:12 PM
It's funny, the MC selections were strange to us supporters, but that is from the outside looking in. People were screaming for Lippa to come in, yet the MC kept playing him in the VFL, why you ask? Well at the time Gia explained what the plan was, but no one actually listened to his weekly review. There was a plan, the player performed to the plan and he got rewarded.

There are numerous examples of this. The only one I couldn't understand, was leaving out Trengove at the start of the season. Yes we tried Lew Young early on but it didn't work, but to go in against Carlton without Trengove or Young was a bit perplexing.

Overall the MC has done a terrific job this year, and we have had the least changes week to week, compared to other clubs. We have been lucky this year, there have been not too many injuries compared to the previous two years.

Don't agree, confusing selections, sticking with players with dubious form, players training in the midfield all summer only to be used in the back half and a beast of a midfielder stuck up forward are just part of the issues we had early on. If they had done terrifically well we should be in a stronger position now.
I think we would have already been in the top 8 if they had played the better performed players early on instead of trying to, in a way, reinvent the game

bornadog
24-08-2019, 02:15 PM
Don't agree, confusing selections, sticking with players with dubious form, players training in the midfield all summer only to be used in the back half and a beast of a midfielder stuck up forward are just part of the issues we had early on. If they had done terrifically well we should be in a stronger position now.
I think we would have already been in the top 8 if they had played the better performed players early on instead of trying to, in a way, reinvent the game

forget the preseason, that is the time for experimenting.

Who should have played earlier on and rewarded other than lippa and Trengove?

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Schache should have come in sooner than he did he spent way too long in the 2s while we were crying out for a target.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure how Gowers was holding down the key forward spot for so long it was a disaster.

Sorry for DP.

bornadog
24-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Schache should have come in sooner than he did he spent way too long in the 2s while we were crying out for a target.

Have a look at his numbers in the twos - not very impressive

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Granted he wasn't setting the world on fire but Gowers was going backwards in the 1s. Plus Schache is / was the only forward who could kick the ball which was frustrating given our wretched inaccuracies in front of goal. I didn't think he did a lot wrong to get demoted in the first place.

I'm not sure we can use form lines of players playing in the 1s and 2s in the first half of the year when players like Gowers and Gardner et al. were playing with either little to no form throughout that period. Gardner coming in ahead of him was particularly mystifying.

bornadog
24-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Granted he wasn't setting the world on fire but Gowers was going backwards in the 1s. Plus Schache is / was the only forward who could kick the ball which was frustrating given our wretched inaccuracies in front of goal. I didn't think he did a lot wrong to get demoted in the first place.

I'm not sure we can use form lines of players playing in the 1s and 2s in the first half of the year when players like Gowers and Gardner et al. were playing with either little to no form throughout that period. Gardner coming in ahead of him was particularly mystifying.

Schache was dropped because against Collingwood he was very bad. 4 disposals, and no effort, Along with Young, the MC asked them to go back to the VFL and work on your game, and to their credit they did.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Schache was dropped because against Collingwood he was very bad. 4 disposals, and no effort, Along with Young, the MC asked them to go back to the VFL and work on your game, and to their credit they did.

That very same game Gowers has 5 disposals and fails to score. He plays the next week stinks it up and is dropped for one match. Comes in the following week and injures himself. Gardner comes in for two matches. I like aspects of Gowers but if he didn't injure himself I'm sure the MC would have kept playing him at the expense of Schache and Lord knows what type of predicament we might be in.

jeemak
24-08-2019, 03:24 PM
But Schache or anyone else we played in place of Gowers or Gardiner could have stunk it up just as much or even worse (although the latter would have been tough to do). Trengove could have come into the side earlier and played poorly and found himself out of the team much earlier than he, unfortunately (and possibly unfairly) for him, has now.

We'll never know how the scenarios that didn't play out would have if they'd have come to fruition. Though what we do know is that we have stabilised even in the face of some injury and form concerns since we were playing both putrid football and good football week to week and sometimes within matches. The selections for mine, and where we played the likes of Dunkley early on only tell a small part of the story anyway.

Most importantly we seem to have limited the frequency of conditional effort rearing its ugly head. The last time it did was in round 18 against the Saints (some might argue Q1 against GWS), and all facets of our game have been better since the effort has been there. With it we work harder to run for each other, we get back in defence quicker, and we harass and pressure the opposition more thoroughly. You listen to the coach talk about stability and the players finally coming around to the way the coaches have been asking for them to play and that's well and good, but it's the effort that needs to be there primarily for anything to actually work.

As others have said this week will be a very good test of our maturity. We know that if we bring the effort we can compete with anyone, if we have matured it will be plain for everyone to see.

1eyedog
24-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Sure it had more to do with up the ground than the forward position I'm just highlighting the very strange rationale of the MC at the time if we're basing it on form.

Happy Days
24-08-2019, 07:17 PM
That very same game Gowers has 5 disposals and fails to score. He plays the next week stinks it up and is dropped for one match. Comes in the following week and injures himself. Gardner comes in for two matches. I like aspects of Gowers but if he didn't injure himself I'm sure the MC would have kept playing him at the expense of Schache and Lord knows what type of predicament we might be in.

I was under the impression that Schache was dropped as a very clear message to improve aspects of his game. I don't think the club cares enough about the development of Gowers to do the same.

westdog54
25-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Never in doubt. Wasn't nervous for a second.

Ahh who am I kidding? *!*!*!*! me dead that's a relief.

ledge
25-08-2019, 05:33 PM
Both Schache and Gowers played good games this weekend and they are different types of forwards , I think it all depends on the opposition we are playing against, in saying that if just picking a side I would take Schache by a a fair way.

josie
25-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Both Schache and Gowers played good games this weekend and they are different types of forwards , I think it all depends on the opposition we are playing against, in saying that if just picking a side I would take Schache by a a fair way.

I would have my heart in my mouth if Gowers comes into the side-his goal kicking is just aaargh!!

Go_Dogs
25-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Welcome to 2019 mjp! Smashing sides to storm into September is what we do now

comrade
25-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Put this superstitious malarkey to bed.

Dancin' Douggy
25-08-2019, 06:50 PM
Would there be a more bulldog thing to do than win the flag from 7th????????????

Mofra
25-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Would there be a more bulldog thing to do than win the flag from 7th????????????
I'm not sure anything that happens after a victory against GWS in the final could upset me in anyway.

We were 4-7 at one point. This season is our new 2015 for mine, build the belief. We are a 1-2 pieces of the puzzle off being proper contenders and I think we'll find those at the trade table (and in ruck terms, in another pre-season to Timmy).

Twodogs
25-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Is there a spot for both of them in the AFL team ledge? I reckon there could be with Gowers playing off a forward flank and Josh out of the goal square.

strebla
25-08-2019, 10:03 PM
Bailey Dale has Gowers spot in my mind and he won't be giving it up.

Eastdog
25-08-2019, 10:10 PM

Anything is possible.

Twodogs
25-08-2019, 11:17 PM

How good is the fact that we have done it once already and the rest of the finalists must be looking over their shoulders and thinking "Oh no. Not them. Anybody but them"

bornadog
26-08-2019, 12:28 AM
No such thing as a Bulldog thing - that died in 2016

comrade
26-08-2019, 08:14 AM
No such thing as a Bulldog thing - that died in 2016

It died when we drafted Bont.

hujsh
26-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Bailey Dale has Gowers spot in my mind and he won't be giving it up.

That's...probably fair actually. Dale is kind of a supercharged version of what Gowers was giving us but with better kicking and (now) better pressure. We have two actual tall forwards and Dale's the mid-ish tall. We probably don't have room for another small/mid sized player who plays like a tall lead and mark forward.

Maybe if Gowers can reinvent himself as more of a proper small forward, closer to Dickson, he can find a spot. But Schache and Dale seem to have effectively pushed him out and we're better for it

Grantysghost
26-08-2019, 10:43 AM
It died when we drafted Bont.

He's something very special. Considering he's even recognised outside the dogs. I mean you have to be extraordinary.

Remi Moses
26-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Would have said pre 16 it would have been
Interesting fact bobbed up on Twitter
June 15 we were 15th and the crows were 4th
Tide turns quickly.