PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

GVGjr
25-08-2019, 04:25 AM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 23 match against Adelaide for our Elimination Final game against GWS (Great Waste of Space) in the first round of the 2019 Finals series?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2019, 05:13 PM
I'm not going to be hard in my ideas with two weeks to go

Ins: could be Libba, Dickson & JT. Not sure Wally & Daniel are ready.

Outs: West, Hayes, Richard & Cordy I think are in the discussion.

The Doctor
25-08-2019, 08:12 PM
I'm not going to be hard in my ideas with two weeks to go

Ins: could be Libba, Dickson & JT. Not sure Wally & Daniel are ready.

Outs: West, Hayes, Richard & Cordy I think are in the discussion.

agree here

If Libba is ready to go he has to come in. Dicko & JT would be unlucky to miss. They have been colossal.

Mantis
25-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Listening to Bevo in the presser it sounds as though Libba won't be ready to play, Wallis is out for the remainder of the season and Caleb won't play until deep in the final series.. if we progress past week 1.

As I mentioned in another thread there's lots to ponder on how we set up the defence in particular... it will be interesting to see what we come up with as GWS will be play with 3 mobile tall forwards who will challenge our defensive personnel & structure.

They will be a very different proposition to the game just last week when we got a hold of them in the 2nd half and we need to pull the right levers at the selection table.

bornadog
25-08-2019, 10:36 PM
My first thoughts

In Dickson

Out. Richards, or Hayes

1eyedog
25-08-2019, 10:37 PM
What did people think of Young's game today?

Cordy struggles on strong forwards. He needs a smaller contest or JT comes in.

Thought Hayes was neat today without being great.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2019, 10:45 PM
What did people think of Young's game today?

Cordy struggles on strong forwards. He needs a smaller contest or JT comes in.

Thought Hayes was neat today without being great.

I liked it. One bad missed marked led to a goal, but I thought he was fine.

strebla
25-08-2019, 10:49 PM
JT would be my only in at this stage for Hayes his endeavour is great but just not quite there. Also a bigger body is need for Cameron in my opinion.

Danjul
25-08-2019, 11:46 PM
JT would be my only in at this stage for Hayes his endeavour is great but just not quite there. Also a bigger body is need for Cameron in my opinion.
I don’t understand the rush to drop Hayes when he is consistently getting more kicks, more handballs and more tackles than Richards.

Also his disposals are more reliable too.

On the AFL stats site over the last three weeks:
Hayes has rated. 101 71 75
Richards 45 55 43

Ozza
25-08-2019, 11:51 PM
I think Hayes' enormous running capacity is helping the overall balance of the side. I haven't been a huge Hayes advocate - but think he could prove important against a side like GWS.

Danjul
26-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Walker joined the list of players kicking their season best bag of goals against Cordy.

It doesn’t make sense to continually put him on such opponents.

He has more to offer than simply being a ‘punching bag’

jazzadogs
26-08-2019, 12:28 AM
I think our best back 6 is:

Trengrove - Cameron
Young/Cordy - Finlayson
Wood - Himmelberg
Crozier/Duryea/JJ/Suckling - the others

Meaning that one of Young or Cordy is dropped. I'm not convinced that Trengrove is the right match up for Cameron either, but he has the smarts and positioning to minimise the leg speed deficiency. Cordy has previously been thrown forward, but I think Naughton and Schache have those spots locked down now.

I agree with the above that West/Richards/Hayes are in the gun for Dickson. I thought they all showed positive traits at times today, without any of them piecing together great games. West is the most like for like replacement, with Es and Hayes spending more time in the wing rotation from what I saw today.

Happy Days
26-08-2019, 01:51 AM
I'd have a long and hard think about Cordy for Trengove - forgetting matchup dynamics for a second, getting five goals hung on you by the objectively terrible 2019 model of Taylor Walker can't go unnoticed. Trengove might have let him get up the ground and use his Beautiful Field Kick™ (Channel 7, 2019) or whatever, but no chance he loses as many one on ones as Cordy did. I'd feel more comfortable with Wood or Young on Cameron than I would Cordy right now as well.

Otherwise I'd look at Dickson for West, but I'm not dying on that hill.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2019, 02:48 AM
I'd have a long and hard think about Cordy for Trengove - forgetting matchup dynamics for a second, getting five goals hung on you by the objectively terrible 2019 model of Taylor Walker can't go unnoticed. Trengove might have let him get up the ground and use his Beautiful Field Kick™ (Channel 7, 2019) or whatever, but no chance he loses as many one on ones as Cordy did. I'd feel more comfortable with Wood or Young on Cameron than I would Cordy right now as well.

Commentators today reckon Walker should play defence next year with his fielding kicking. It's a thing now.

jeemak
26-08-2019, 03:44 AM

Trengove would have just given free kicks away on a few of the contests that Cordy lost without giving away a free kick.

It's actually OK to acknowledge that Walker can play good games from time to time, Shane Ellen kicked five in a GF once, anything is possible and much of Walker's ball wasn't Cordy's issue to start with and he had no aerial support when he should have against a much heavier opponent.

I mean I genuinely read a comment lamenting Cordy being five metres in front of his opponent on a fast break, where he almost impacted a spoil but was only in a position to test the umpires hand. If he played side by side or behind he'd have been lead to the ball and it would have been a certain goal. The guy can't take a trick in the minds of some, with that contest being the most obvious of how seriously poor some of our judgements of him are.

Good defencive units hide the exposed weaknesses of their team mates, we didn't do that for Cordy today (in fact Hunter actually did 20% of the damage himself). With that in mind we wouldn't have done it for Trengove either and Walker would have been stronger than him as well. Our efforts these next two weeks can't be about shedding one player for another to fix that, they need to be focused around defending better as a team.

In - Dickson
Out - West

Happy Days
26-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Trengove would have just given free kicks away on a few of the contests that Cordy lost without giving away a free kick.

It's actually OK to acknowledge that Walker can play good games from time to time, Shane Ellen kicked five in a GF once, anything is possible and much of Walker's ball wasn't Cordy's issue to start with and he had no aerial support when he should have against a much heavier opponent.

I mean I genuinely read a comment lamenting Cordy being five metres in front of his opponent on a fast break, where he almost impacted a spoil but was only in a position to test the umpires hand. If he played side by side or behind he'd have been lead to the ball and it would have been a certain goal. The guy can't take a trick in the minds of some, with that contest being the most obvious of how seriously poor some of our judgements of him are.

Good defencive units hide the exposed weaknesses of their team mates, we didn't do that for Cordy today (in fact Hunter actually did 20% of the damage himself). With that in mind we wouldn't have done it for Trengove either and Walker would have been stronger than him as well. Our efforts these next two weeks can't be about shedding one player for another to fix that, they need to be focused around defending better as a team.

In - Dickson
Out - West

I don't know man, Cordy was really poor today against an opponent in terrible form and was lost in some pretty basic situations (namely Walker's last two goals). I agree that he wasn't at fault for that free kick where Tex took a slight bit of contact then took a pro wrestling bump like he was Mr. Perfect, or where he got out the back on the fast break at the end of the first quarter, but you can't tell me he didn't get muscled a couple of times where Trengove wouldn't have.

I don't know if Cordy's bad game makes Trengove a better option against the Giants, all I said was I would think on it.

Mantis
26-08-2019, 09:14 AM
I don't know man, Cordy was really poor today against an opponent in terrible form and was lost in some pretty basic situations (namely Walker's last two goals). I agree that he wasn't at fault for that free kick where Tex took a slight bit of contact then took a pro wrestling bump like he was Mr. Perfect, or where he got out the back on the fast break at the end of the first quarter, but you can't tell me he didn't get muscled a couple of times where Trengove wouldn't have.

I don't know if Cordy's bad game makes Trengove a better option against the Giants, all I said was I would think on it.

Young was on Walker for his last 2 goals.

Danjul
26-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Cordy kicked two terrific goals against GWS to get the Dogs into the Grand Final in 2016. He kicked the first goal in that premiership win. He started as a forward averaging a goal a game.

Yet he has been consistently used as a key defender who is getting big scores kicked against him. Darling 6, Curnow 7 got season highs and there were others. And now Walker gets 5 for his season best.

When has this happened? Always in predictable situations. (Not his fault)

angelopetraglia
26-08-2019, 09:26 AM
"Tory Dickson a key in Dogs’ resurgence. Missed Ballarat, but reliably told it’s the slightest of hammies. If game this week plays, lock to return v GWS." - Mark Stevens on Twitter this morning.

comrade
26-08-2019, 09:30 AM
It’s not poor judgement regarding Cordy, or he’s just all of a sudden become a whipping boy. The stats back it up. He loses around 40% of one on one contests, which is worst in the league. He’s not a natural interceptor or play maker, and his disposal is average at best. He’s a competitor and never drops his head, but I don’t see what net benefit he’s providing the side now that Young has emerged.

The Pie Man
26-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I think our best back 6 is:

Trengrove - Cameron
Young/Cordy - Finlayson
Wood - Himmelberg
Crozier/Duryea/JJ/Suckling - the others

Meaning that one of Young or Cordy is dropped. I'm not convinced that Trengrove is the right match up for Cameron either, but he has the smarts and positioning to minimise the leg speed deficiency. Cordy has previously been thrown forward, but I think Naughton and Schache have those spots locked down now.

I agree with the above that West/Richards/Hayes are in the gun for Dickson. I thought they all showed positive traits at times today, without any of them piecing together great games. West is the most like for like replacement, with Es and Hayes spending more time in the wing rotation from what I saw today.

Will Lachie Keith play?
Reckon that’s a potential match up for Trengove
I think Jackson has to come in - I’d say for Hayes but he did nothing wrong yesterday. Tough call

hujsh
26-08-2019, 10:57 AM
I agree that he wasn't at fault for that free kick where Tex took a slight bit of contact then took a pro wrestling bump like he was Mr. Perfect, or where he got out the back on the fast break at the end of the first quarter

Young was on Walker for his last 2 goals.

Cordy kicked two terrific goals against GWS to get the Dogs into the Grand Final in 2016. He kicked the first goal in that premiership win. He started as a forward averaging a goal a game.

Yet he has been consistently used as a key defender who is getting big scores kicked against him. Darling 6, Curnow 7 got season highs and there were others. And now Walker gets 5 for his season best.

When has this happened? Always in predictable situations. (Not his fault)

Does the above change your mind at all? Doesn't sound like Tex kicked 5 on Cordy. Sounds like he kicked 2.

whythelongface
26-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Some tough calls will need to be made. Dickson needs to play if his hammy is fine. Just has too many smarts around goal not to play.
Trengove also needs to play. Big bodied and experienced.
Question is whom is omitted?

Ins: Dickson and Trengove

Outs from: West, Hayes, Richards, Young/ Cordy

comrade
26-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Does the above change your mind at all? Doesn't sound like Tex kicked 5 on Cordy. Sounds like he kicked 2.

He was also outpointed by Chayce Jones (who?) on multiple occasions. He actually looked his most comfortable against Betts deep, and Walker when he went further up the ground. Like most weeks, when he was deep against anyone with some height, he looked vulnerable

Ozza
26-08-2019, 11:21 AM
I worry about Trengove's lack of mobility on someone like Cameron. And think Lewis Young is more suited to Himmelberg than Cameron - so I have concerns about the Trengove/Young pairing. GWS will also have Finlayson playing.

I'm glad I'm not making the decisions.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 11:24 AM
I worry about Trengove's lack of mobility on someone like Cameron. And think Lewis Young is more suited to Himmelberg than Cameron - so I have concerns about the Trengove/Young pairing. GWS will also have Finlayson playing.

I hope we don't decide to play Wood tall again, as the past few weeks we have seen him playing more like his old self when he doesn't have to play on some tall player.

Having said that, what do we do.

comrade
26-08-2019, 11:39 AM

The best match up for Cameron is Aaron Naughton.

Danjul
26-08-2019, 12:28 PM
The best match up for Cameron is Aaron Naughton.
That is a good idea.

Mantis
26-08-2019, 12:31 PM
I hope we don't decide to play Wood tall again, as the past few weeks we have seen him playing more like his old self when he doesn't have to play on some tall player.

Having said that, what do we do.

I'd be more confident playing Suckling 'tall' compared to Wood.

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I am in playing 2 talls (2 of Young, JT or Cordy) and then back in our mid sized defenders to get the job in defence (with the help of the mids & forwards) and then help us rebound.. that's our strength and we need to back it in.

whythelongface
26-08-2019, 12:32 PM
That is a good idea.

Agreed. Think it could work but who would go forward - maybe Cordy?

Danjul
26-08-2019, 12:41 PM
Agreed. Think it could work but who would go forward - maybe Cordy?
Definitely. His mobility will give their backmen problems and he is very good at ground level.

Mofra
26-08-2019, 12:45 PM

One of Walker's goals was 100% on Tim English. High ball into the square, Tim as the biggest guy there just had to kill the contest, and didn't.

For mine it's all about Jeremy Cameron. I still think Young is a far better intercept player than one on one player and am very tempted to find a way for JT to come in, but it has to be at the expense of a tall.

I suspect Dickson doesn't get up and it's just Young for Trengove, West stays in and Richards lucky.

Mantis
26-08-2019, 12:47 PM
That is a good idea.

We have to try and win the game and playing Naughton forward up forward gives us the best chance because at worst he'll keep the GWS defence extremely honest in teh air & on the ground (his forward pressure is elite) and at best he'll be sitting on their heads!

Danjul
26-08-2019, 12:52 PM
We have to try and win the game and playing Naughton forward up forward gives us the best chance because at worst he'll keep the GWS defence extremely honest in teh air & on the ground (his forward pressure is elite) and at best he'll be sitting on their heads!

Are we better served with Naughton stopping 5 goals or kicking 1, his average over the last 14 games.

I think the former.

Cordy kicked 2 goals against GWS in the 2016 finals and they had a stronger defence. And he had only played a dozen games.

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2019, 12:55 PM
That is a good idea.

I see it as a much better idea to give Naughton full air traffic freedom to fly over Phil Davis.

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Are we better served with Naughton stopping 5 goals or kicking 1, his average over the last 14 games.

I think the former.

Cordy kicked 2 goals against GWS in the 2016 finals and they had a stronger defence. And he had only played a dozen games.

Your obsession with the stats you choose to use is misplaced.

We win by scoring more and sticking with our system.

I don't believe we have appointed Ross Lyon to coach, so we need to be utilising a positive approach.

Naughton has been our number one key forward all year. It makes absolutely no sense to change it now.

comrade
26-08-2019, 01:01 PM
I’m not saying Naughton should play back, just that he’s the best match up for Cameron.

I think Bevo will back his system. If the GWS bigs start running amok, we can always throw the magnets around and switch Naughton to calm things down.

Mantis
26-08-2019, 01:23 PM

I think the former.

There's no *!*!*!*!ing chance Naughton starts in defence.

Cordy kicked 2 scrappy goals in broken play in the PF and he provides no aerial threat... Zaine either plays in defence or not at all.

Danjul
26-08-2019, 02:26 PM
I see it as a much better idea to give Naughton full air traffic freedom to fly over Phil Davis.
Good point.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 02:45 PM

I don't believe we have appointed Ross Lyon to coach, so we need to be utilising a positive approach.

Naughton has been our number one key forward all year. It makes absolutely no sense to change it now.

Agreed, he is second on our goal kicking list with 30 goals 27, and the AFL number one in contested marks. I really don't understand this obsesion by some to stick him in the backline.

No need to experiment now

jazzadogs
26-08-2019, 02:49 PM

I think the former.

His last five weeks have been 13, 11, 6, 6, 6 score involvements. And in that time he has kicked 8 goals. Across the last three weeks our forward line has kicked it's highest three scores of the season. It's not broken - trust the team defence, back in the forwards to make the most of their opportunities, and our midfield will do what our midfield do.

Davis would not need to worry about Cordy, but he will have nightmares about Naughton marking over him.

soupman
26-08-2019, 04:42 PM
That is a good idea.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Spend a whole season with Naughton playing forward very well, leading to us having an effective and dangerous forwardline that is finally settled, and then swing him back for finals? I'd rather we brought in Sweet to play on Cameron.

Happy Days
26-08-2019, 05:49 PM

Happy to defer on the last two goals if they were on Young/English. Point remains that he's looked incredibly vulnerable one on one, and if Walker and Chaycsyce (sp) Jones can handle him comfortably then I shudder at what Cameron and Greene might do.

This would be mitigated if he offered other strengths, but he doesn't really do that.

Danjul
26-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Fortunately the system was changed and that led to the current (unnecessarily delayed) success.

Others have argued that it will cope with Cameron and they have done so by quoting relevant facts and statistics. That’s how a discussion should be. And I think they are probably correct.

But I am happy to argue on the basis of unsupported emotion if you like.

Axe Man
26-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Libba an 'outside chance' but Dogs plan no-risk approach (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-26/libba-an-outside-chance-but-dogs-plan-norisk-approach)

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership hero Tom Liberatore is an outside chance to play in the first week of finals.

Despite missing the past three weeks with a knee injury, the 27-year-old midfielder is in the Bulldogs' calculations 12 days out from their elimination final with GWS.

It's more positive news for the Bulldogs on the medical front, as the club has one of the smallest injury lists in the League.

However coach Luke Beveridge said the Bulldogs wouldn’t take any risks with Liberatore.

"There's a chance he'll be available," Beveridge said.

"He's cross-training but not doing a lot of running... he's up our sleeve at the moment.

"It's not a situation where we're going to need to roll the dice... Libba's had an impact this year but we won't take any risks."

Beveridge also hinted that defender Caleb Daniel and forward Tory Dickson, who are both nursing hamstring injuries, could be possible inclusions.

Daniel has been out of the side since round 20 but his rehabilitation is progressing faster than expected.

"Caleb's actually running and he's probably more of a chance (than Liberatore) to be considered if he keeps going and we need him," Beveridge said.

kruder
26-08-2019, 07:55 PM
The other bonus with Trengove is that he can play second ruck if something where to happen too Timmy aka Mummy tries to kill him legally of course.

Its going to line ball this one.

mjp
26-08-2019, 09:33 PM
The other bonus with Trengove is that he can play second ruck if something where to happen too Timmy aka Mummy tries to kill him legally of course.

Its going to line ball this one.

Without Boyd there to back up Roughy in 2016, we don't get past the prelim.

1eyedog
26-08-2019, 09:50 PM
Cameron doesn't play power forward he's a ranger like N.Riewoldt would think Cordy takes him when he's playing high.

Stefcep
27-08-2019, 09:15 AM
The Giants will be up for this and we will need to be at our best for 4 quarters to beat them. It would be a foolish mistake to think the result two weeks ago means anything.

I don't like the media hype that's building around us either. This game will be be won and lost in the mind.

bornadog
27-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Since the Bye

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EC5mxOAVAAEk6Oi?format=jpg&name=medium

1eyedog
27-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Since the Bye

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EC5mxOAVAAEk6Oi?format=jpg&name=medium

So pretty much the second best team in the comp.

GWS would be absolutely spewing they scored us straight up. If it's a mind game we've already won by 10 goals.

comrade
27-08-2019, 10:07 AM
All the stats are good offensively. How’s the defensive side of things going?

ledge
27-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Brisbane game on the weekend means stats don’t mean anything , the same as Essendon and Freo the week before, scoreboard is the one that counts.
I hope players don’t read stats it would totally confuse their brain.
Over rated media thing they love to pick out the ones that suit their way of proving they know what they are talking about.
David King I blame you !
In politics he would be a spin doctor.

1eyedog
27-08-2019, 10:31 AM
All the stats are good offensively. How’s the defensive side of things going?

Pressure factor may be the biggest indicator here. I assume this attribute is averaged across offense / defense.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2019, 08:40 PM
So pretty much the second best team in the comp.

GWS would be absolutely spewing they scored us straight up. If it's a mind game we've already won by 10 goals.

It is a mind game, but its ours we need to worry about. We cant get ahead of ourself as these things have a habit of coming back to hunt you. One thing I can promise you is that we will most certainly be playing against a more aggressive, desperate and committed GWS in two weeks. Bevo needs to keep these guys focused and come out swinging.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-08-2019, 11:41 PM
ItÂ’s not poor judgement regarding Cordy, or heÂ’s just all of a sudden become a whipping boy. The stats back it up. He loses around 40% of one on one contests, which is worst in the league. HeÂ’s not a natural interceptor or play maker, and his disposal is average at best. HeÂ’s a competitor and never drops his head, but I donÂ’t see what net benefit heÂ’s providing the side now that Young has emerged.
Cordy’s determination is his greatest quality and has been the one constant tall defender all year. Hard to imagine that he will miss selection as Bevo has shown a lot of confidence in Cordy. If there is to be a change then it could be the more experienced and stronger Trengove to replace Young. We still lack a back up support ruck man to English and this is where Trengove has done very well. This is not a role for either Schache or Naughton as we miss their effectiveness up forward.

Bullies
28-08-2019, 08:43 PM
Brisbane game on the weekend means stats don’t mean anything , the same as Essendon and Freo the week before, scoreboard is the one that counts.
I hope players don’t read stats it would totally confuse their brain.
Over rated media thing they love to pick out the ones that suit their way of proving they know what they are talking about.
David King I blame you !
In politics he would be a spin doctor. Totally agree with this. Still the best one was this year when Freo had more inside 50's than the Eagles and lost by 96 points. Kingy was trying to make a positive out of it that the coaches would have been happy. The only coach that would have been happy was Simpson. Crouch had 50 p's on the weekend and did not hurt us at all.

merantau
28-08-2019, 09:04 PM
Totally agree with this. Still the best one was this year when Freo had more inside 50's than the Eagles and lost by 96 points. Kingy was trying to make a positive out of it that the coaches would have been happy. The only coach that would have been happy was Simpson. Crouch had 50 p's on the weekend and did not hurt us at all.

Exactly. Same with Lachie Neale. Had 50 possessions but how many of them were 2m hand passes to someone under pressure or a 15m sideways kick?

mjp
29-08-2019, 09:34 AM
Exactly. Same with Lachie Neale. Had 50 possessions but how many of them were 2m hand passes to someone under pressure or a 15m sideways kick?

Pretty sure you will find Lachie Neale had 373 metres gained. Which is 50 more than Bont had against the Giants.

He played a very, very good game and 50 touches is amazing.

mjp
29-08-2019, 09:44 AM
Totally agree with this. Still the best one was this year when Freo had more inside 50's than the Eagles and lost by 96 points. Kingy was trying to make a positive out of it that the coaches would have been happy. The only coach that would have been happy was Simpson. Crouch had 50 p's on the weekend and did not hurt us at all.

But having more i50's (and I think they one contested possessions that night) IS A POSITIVE/ARE POSITIVES.

When you look at a game, the score ultimately tells the story. But the score is not always reflective of what happened on the field.

Continually losing in the same way is a problem, but coaches NEED to use stats to help players understand where things are going wrong. Clearly in that Freo vs WC game, they had an inside 50m connection problem. It means one (or more) of a few things:

- Haphazard/not to the plan delivery inside 50.
- Haphazard/not to the plan POSITIONING (by the forwards) i50
- Forwards getting too high and delivering i50.
- Backs winning 1-v-1s or creating outnumber. If an out-number, maybe ball movement question (too slow? too quick).

There are a million things. Telling the players they lost by 90 points and are therefore no good and need to do better...that isn't helpful. Showing them where things went wrong and providing a plan to fix it...well, that's coaching. And the parts of the game they were winning? Well, those things are POSITIVES

comrade
29-08-2019, 10:46 AM
With the way that Freo enters their 50, and the personnel they have inside 50, I would almost deliberately give up some possession just because winning it back from 50 is so easy, and it leads to easier score launches.

Bullies
29-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Pretty sure you will find Lachie Neale had 373 metres gained. Which is 50 more than Bont had against the Giants.

He played a very, very good game and 50 touches is amazing. Again metres gained is no good if you boot the ball 60 metres to the opposition. What we are trying to say is stats can be over stated and you can read what you want into them but at the end of the day if you are not in front after 120 minutes they mean jack.

comrade
29-08-2019, 10:51 AM

He played a very, very good game and 50 touches is amazing.

Bont had almost half the possessions that Neale had, for only 50 less metres gained. So, yeah lots of minimal metres gained possessions, lots of backwards disposals compared to Bont who just drives us forward in attack time after time.

It's kind of like games where Hunter has huge possession numbers. We just don't score as well or play as cohesively when he is our number 1 possession winner.

ledge
29-08-2019, 10:57 AM
Again metres gained is no good if you boot the ball 60 metres to the opposition. What we are trying to say is stats can be over stated and you can read what you want into them but at the end of the day if you are not in front after 120 minutes they mean jack.

JJ won best on ground in the grand final booting it 60 Metres to the opposition all day. :-)

Grantysghost
29-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Bont had almost half the possessions that Neale had, for only 50 less metres gained. So, yeah lots of minimal metres gained possessions, lots of backwards disposals compared to Bont who just drives us forward in attack time after time.

It's kind of like games where Hunter has huge possession numbers. We just don't score as well or play as cohesively when he is our number 1 possession winner.

There needs to be more meta statistical analysis to determine who had the biggest affect on the outcome.

Dancin' Douggy
29-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Good point. Maybe Richards just Stands out more so is more noticeable.
I don’t understand the rush to drop Hayes when he is consistently getting more kicks, more handballs and more tackles than Richards.

Richards 45 55 43

comrade
29-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Good point. Maybe Richards just Stands out more so is more noticeable.

I’m no Hayes fan but if I was picking between those 2, I’m picking Hayes. He also does a mountain of running that is hard to notice.

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2019, 02:24 PM
I’m no Hayes fan but if I was picking between those 2, I’m picking Hayes. He also does a mountain of running that is hard to notice.

It is an interesting position.

There was plenty of opinion early in the year that Hayes should never be picked at senior level. However, he has looked very good since his return.

Personally, I have now reached a position that the Match Committee seem to have worked out what they want.

There are plenty on the list who seem able to do what is required, so just enjoy the ride.

comrade
29-08-2019, 02:50 PM
It is an interesting position.

There was plenty of opinion early in the year that Hayes should never be picked at senior level. However, he has looked very good since his return.

Personally, I have now reached a position that the Match Committee seem to have worked out what they want.

There are plenty on the list who seem able to do what is required, so just enjoy the ride.

Yeah pretty much In Bevo We Trust at this point. Just wish we wouldn’t have Dunkley anywhere near the ruck, especially when English is on the ground. That grinds my gears.

Mantis
29-08-2019, 04:12 PM

A hope lots of that running is following Whitfield around.

I also hope the ball doesn't go near him as I'm not expecting good things to happen in a highly pressured game... but we wait & see.

bornadog
29-08-2019, 04:19 PM

I also hope the ball doesn't go near him as I'm not expecting good things to happen in a highly pressured game... but we wait & see.

Didn't he keep Whitfield quiet in the last game (2nd half)

comrade
29-08-2019, 04:38 PM

Me too. If he only gets it a dozen times but puts the clamps on Whitfield, that’s a big win!

GVGjr
29-08-2019, 05:18 PM

Richards 45 55 43

Hayes has been pretty good since he returned. I'd say it's line ball between he and Richards if someone needs to be dropped though

Bulldog4life
29-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Hayes has been pretty good since he returned. I'd say it's line ball between he and Richards if someone needs to be dropped though

According to Bevo on AFL360 they have both been playing on the opposite wing to Hunter. He is looking for both to be involved more....or words to that effect.

The bulldog tragician
29-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Just on Naughton - the number of goals he scores isn't the only factor. He's often playing as a very mobile CHF. His aerial ability means you could never take your eye off him as a defender. I am also very impressed by his agility when it hits the deck, the wonderful bit of play when he tapped it back in from the boundary line and then scooped it up one-handed was Bont-like. He is an X-factor in our forward line, the one we'd be worrying most about if he played for the opposition. And, looking long-term, playing forward in the ultimate pressure of a final will help him grow even more as a forward.

And of course if we're looking for the ultimate Jeremy Cameron negator on stats alone...come on down Fletcher Roberts. :):) Okay, I'm kidding so hold off with the withering commentary and don't pelt me with rotten tomatoes, but Cameron's abysmal performance in the PF was also an example of how it's the team defence, not just individuals pitted against each other, that carries the day, as on pure talent Cameron should have kicked a bag on Fletch...doesn't it?

AshMac
29-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Just on Naughton - the number of goals he scores isn't the only factor. He's often playing as a very mobile CHF. His aerial ability means you could never take your eye off him as a defender. I am also very impressed by his agility when it hits the deck, the wonderful bit of play when he tapped it back in from the boundary line and then scooped it up one-handed was Bont-like. He is an X-factor in our forward line, the one we'd be worrying most about if he played for the opposition. And, looking long-term, playing forward in the ultimate pressure of a final will help him grow even more as a forward.

Agree completely. So easy to get carried away when naughton takes big contested marks inside 50, but his work rate up the ground and ability to continue forward movement from a contest 80 meters from goal is just as important.

He is shaping as an absolute star, his wonky old kicking <30m aside, his competitiveness, footy smarts and obviously marking are alredy elite

GVGjr
29-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Anyone who misses out will be terribly unlucky. The team is playing very well and of course that is a reflection on the coaches

We will give this an almighty shake

angelopetraglia
29-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Selected in VFL team: Lewis Young, Jackson Terngove

Not selected in VFL Team: Rhylee West

What do we read into that? Is West definitely in next week?

comrade
29-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Selected in VFL team: Lewis Young, Jackson Terngove

Not selected in VFL Team: Rhylee West

What do we read into that? Is West definitely in next week?

It’s Lachie Young in the VFL side, I believe.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2019, 07:52 PM
It’s Lachie Young in the VFL side, I believe.

Apologies. My bad.

So does that mean Lewis Young is playing next week?

comrade
29-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Apologies. My bad.

So does that mean Lewis Young is playing next week?

I’d imagine so.

Rocco Jones
29-08-2019, 08:56 PM
I think two questions when it comes to selection.

1- Do we go with Zaine or JT?
Zaine really worries me 1:1 and doesn't really have any great strengths. I think we will go with him though as seems a bit more suited to our team defence style. Not like JT is great 1:1. Definitely shouldn't go with both. Concentrate on our strengths.

2- Dickson or Caleb back in for Hayes/Richards/West.
Caleb and Dicko will both add more to the side than the trio but an enormous risk to being a player down with rotations. Both Caleb and Dickson have been injured during a game at least twice this season.

Axe Man
30-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Mock Teams (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-29/mock-teams-dons-dump-four-cats-shock-axe-nic-nat-back)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Matthew Suckling, Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier
HB: Jason Johannisen, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
C: Ed Richards, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Bailey Smith, Josh Schache, Toby McLean
F: Bailey Dale, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
I/C: Taylor Duryea, Patrick Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Will Hayes

Emerg: Rhylee West, Jackson Trengove, Tom Liberatore, Roarke Smith

In: Tory Dickson
Out: Rhylee West (omitted)

West will count himself as unlucky, but Dickson is a no-brainer to return from a minor hamstring complaint. Liberatore is a chance to return from a knee injury but it seems unlikely he'll be ready in time. Hayes might be the odd one out if 'Libba' makes a rapid recovery. - Jourdan Canil

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Sam Taylor
HB: Nick Haynes, Phil Davis, Zac Williams
C: Josh Kelly, Jacob Hopper, Harry Perryman
HF: Lachie Whitfield, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene
F: Jeremy Finlayson, Jeremy Cameron, Brent Daniels
Foll: Shane Mumford, Tim Taranto, Matt de Boer
I/C: Sam Reid, Adam Tomlinson, Adam Kennedy, Daniel Lloyd

Emerg: Bobby Hill, Isaac Cumming, Lachie Keeffe, Dawson Simpson

In: Nick Haynes, Jacob Hopper, Toby Greene
Out: Bobby Hill (omitted), Lachie Keeffe (omitted), Isaac Cumming (omitted)

Greene, Hopper and Haynes are automatic inclusions. The Giants' important talls are fit and healthy at either end so there's no spot for Keeffe or Cumming. Daniels gets the nod ahead of Hill because of his hardness and consistency. Stephen Coniglio (knee) and Brett Deledio (calf) will need a GWS win to play again this year. - Adam Curley

Mofra
30-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Agree completely. So easy to get carried away when naughton takes big contested marks inside 50, but his work rate up the ground and ability to continue forward movement from a contest 80 meters from goal is just as important.

He is shaping as an absolute star, his wonky old kicking <30m aside, his competitiveness, footy smarts and obviously marking are alredy elite
Naughton (to the eyeball) is the best defensive forward on our list. Chases very hard, sometimes gets rewarded for it too.

bulldogtragic
01-09-2019, 02:09 PM
So 6 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes to go.

It seems like there's 3 choices to be made:

Trengove vs Cordy
Liberatore vs Richards
Dickson vs West

Trengove vs Cordy

Trengove has more experience, although Cordy is a premiership player. Trengove has had a better season, but for brain fading disposals sometimes deep in defence. If a vicious football hits English in the eye and we need someone to step up and break even against Mumford, Tremgove is the man. Cordy can go play as a Defensive forward, but that shouldn't be needed. Maybe JT's bigger body and experience gives him a slight edge.

Liberatore vs Richards

I like the foot speed of Richards but he's not impacting games to the level that Liberatore can. If Libba is fit to play, he plays for his talent as well as experience in big games and ability to lock down opposition guns at the contest and then win his own footy after.

Dickson vs West

While West is quicker and is kamikaze at the footy and I wish he could play, if Dickson is fit we need as many reliable kicks at goal as we can. So Dickson with a lot more big game experience and goal kicking ability.

Ins: Trengove, Liberatore, Dickson
Outs: Cordy, Richards, West (all omitted)

I'd bring along any 2016 premiership players to create some good vibes, Morris, Picken, Tom Boyd, Cordy or Roberts if they can.

Go_Dogs
01-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Dickson if fit for West is the only change I'd make.

Happy to back Cordy in and think he's been OK to finish the year - yes, a few errors but he's the safer option for mine and fits better with Young.

Richards is going OK and we need his wheels, plus doesn't seem like Libba will be ready.

bornadog
01-09-2019, 08:41 PM
Can we play Trengove, Young, Cordy, Naughton, Schache and English in the same team?

comrade
01-09-2019, 09:01 PM
Can we play Trengove, Young, Cordy, Naughton, Schache and English in the same team?

No, Trengove/Young/Cordy don’t provide enough intercept, run or quality disposal to have all 3 in the backline.

Jeanette54
01-09-2019, 09:08 PM

Horses for courses, yes, against the Plastics.

jazzadogs
01-09-2019, 10:19 PM

Trengove vs Cordy
Liberatore vs Richards
Dickson vs West

Trengove vs Cordy

Trengove has more experience, although Cordy is a premiership player. Trengove has had a better season, but for brain fading disposals sometimes deep in defence. If a vicious football hits English in the eye and we need someone to step up and break even against Mumford, Tremgove is the man. Cordy can go play as a Defensive forward, but that shouldn't be needed. Maybe JT's bigger body and experience gives him a slight edge.

Liberatore vs Richards

I like the foot speed of Richards but he's not impacting games to the level that Liberatore can. If Libba is fit to play, he plays for his talent as well as experience in big games and ability to lock down opposition guns at the contest and then win his own footy after.

Dickson vs West

While West is quicker and is kamikaze at the footy and I wish he could play, if Dickson is fit we need as many reliable kicks at goal as we can. So Dickson with a lot more big game experience and goal kicking ability.

I'd bring along any 2016 premiership players to create some good vibes, Morris, Picken, Tom Boyd, Cordy or Roberts if they can.

I am very confident that Caleb Daniel will be playing football this weekend, and I don't think it will be at Footscray.

bornadog
01-09-2019, 11:48 PM
I am very confident that Caleb Daniel will be playing football this weekend, and I don't think it will be at Footscray.

Who does he replace?

jeemak
02-09-2019, 06:55 AM
More and more I think it's going to be a bit more than just Dickson for West.

I can see Trengove for Young happening.

bornadog
02-09-2019, 09:46 AM
More and more I think it's going to be a bit more than just Dickson for West.

I can see Trengove for Young happening.

Trengove was very good on the weekend.

westbulldog
02-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Re : Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I am very confident that Caleb Daniel will be playing football this weekend, and I don't think it will be at Footscray

Daniel and Dickson would need to be 110% fit imo. Finals history is littered with failures caused by playing those not fully fit.

I also can't see why Young would lose his place. far more athletic than Trengove to match up on Cameron, Finlayson, Himmelberg etc

Mofra
02-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Re : Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I am very confident that Caleb Daniel will be playing football this weekend, and I don't think it will be at Footscray

Daniel and Dickson would need to be 110% fit imo. Finals history is littered with failures caused by playing those not fully fit.

I also can't see why Young would lose his place. far more athletic than Trengove to match up on Cameron, Finlayson, Himmelberg etc
Trengove is one of the best in the competition in terms of one on one percentage. He is underrated by Bulldog fans.

bornadog
02-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Trengove is one of the best in the competition in terms of one on one percentage. He is underrated by Bulldog fans.

He is your dower defender, not pretty, but gets the job done.

jazzadogs
02-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Who does he replace?

I would think he replaces Richards or Hayes, and Suckling moves up the ground. Although I wouldn't be upset with Caleb on a wing either.

The coaching and medical staff, and Caleb, must be very confident with his body because he will be playing.

bornadog
02-09-2019, 12:25 PM
I would think he replaces Richards or Hayes, and Suckling moves up the ground. Although I wouldn't be upset with Caleb on a wing either.

The coaching and medical staff, and Caleb, must be very confident with his body because he will be playing.

I think Suckling has been very good on a HBF, I wouldn't want him to move up the ground.

ratsmac
02-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Have I missed something, how is it that Caleb is available to play? Wasn't he out until the GF if we were to make it?

jazzadogs
02-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Have I missed something, how is it that Caleb is available to play? Wasn't he out until the GF if we were to make it?

That was the original thought, but Bevo spoke about it here (https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-26/libba-an-outside-chance-but-dogs-plan-norisk-approach), saying that he was more likely than Libba. Since that article his rehab has gone very well.

The question is where he fits in to our team, with our half back line working so well.

Bulldog4life
02-09-2019, 02:15 PM

Not by me. I was surprised he was dropped.

bulldogtragic
02-09-2019, 06:38 PM

Trengove vs Cordy
Liberatore vs Richards
Dickson vs West

Trengove vs Cordy

Liberatore vs Richards

Dickson vs West

I've just seen Libba is still out 'indefinite'.

So it's just really two open questions right now as I see it.

Trengove or Cordy
Dickson or West/Richards

Trengove & Dickson come in. Cordy & West unlucky outs.

jazzadogs
02-09-2019, 07:33 PM

I think I've been taught an important lesson in the last 48 hours. And that is, don't trust AFL footballers when they're drunk. Even very short AFL footballers.

Mantis
02-09-2019, 08:29 PM
I think I've been taught an important lesson in the last 48 hours. And that is, don't trust AFL footballers when they're drunk. Even very short AFL footballers.

How short is said drunk footballer?

azabob
02-09-2019, 08:44 PM
How short is said drunk footballer?

Depends if he is wearing his helmet or not.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2019, 06:04 PM
I'm coming around to playing JT in the side alongside Zaine to have another mature body. How much actual run would we lose out on having JT inside of Richards or West? I know they are different players, can tackle the question in relation to the individuals, but both will get it around a dozen times. Is this impact that big can added mobility is worth it? Hayes different for mine as will probably get it about 16-18 times and has a bigger tank. How much will West and/or Richards actually add to our run/mobility?

Doc26
03-09-2019, 06:26 PM
He is your dower defender, not pretty, but gets the job done.

We selected Hamling, Roberts, Morris and Wood in our last prelim against them with their 3 tall setup, with TBoyd, Cordy, Stringer up forward for us.
No reason why we shouldn’t go Trengove, Cordy, Young, Wood, with Schache and Naughton up forward.
Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg will be a lot to handle without adding Trengove’s experience and ability to even a high ball contest. I still like the idea of using Zaine up forward if the opportunity presents.

Btw if Caleb does come in, be prepared for what appears to be the start of our first tattoo sleeve in recent times.

soupman
03-09-2019, 10:41 PM
I want Trengove in. He is basically a great plan b in both the ruck and defence, has mongrel and size for the physicality GWS will bring, and deserves his place.

I am usually in the Beveridge camp of "better to be too short than too tall" but I think in this case am happy to make an exception. The fact that I really like the idea of Cordy being released to compete as an aggressive forward helps as well, and while I think I have liked Richards season more than most here I think him going out doesn't hurt us much.

Hayes has been excellent since his return to the seniors. A rate him similarly to Wallis. Not really good enough at anything specific to command a spot in our best 22, but a quality 23rd or 24th man that will step in and perform well enough that it makes them hard to drop. A lot of credit was to go to Will who looked completely meh and out of his depth in his first couple of games and now looks comfortable in a side that will play finals.

comrade
03-09-2019, 10:48 PM
I’m leaning towards Trengove in also. GWS is one side you can go a bit taller against, and we know finals are more crash and bash vs outside run. JT can help in the ruck, he can stand in front of Cameron and block his space or he can free up Cordy to go forward. Just gives us options in case things turn pear shaped.

If it was me picking the side:

IN: Dickson, JT
OUT: West, Richards

1eyedog
03-09-2019, 10:49 PM
We selected Hamling, Roberts, Morris and Wood in our last prelim against them with their 3 tall setup, with TBoyd, Cordy, Stringer up forward for us.
No reason why we shouldn’t go Trengove, Cordy, Young, Wood, with Schache and Naughton up forward.
Cameron, Finlayson and Himmelberg will be a lot to handle without adding Trengove’s experience and ability to even a high ball contest. I still like the idea of using Zaine up forward if the opportunity presents.

Btw if Caleb does come in, be prepared for what appears to be the start of our first tattoo sleeve in recent times.

Clay Smith

Mantis
05-09-2019, 01:45 PM
I’m leaning towards Trengove in also. GWS is one side you can go a bit taller against, and we know finals are more crash and bash vs outside run. JT can help in the ruck, he can stand in front of Cameron and block his space or he can free up Cordy to go forward. Just gives us options in case things turn pear shaped.

If it was me picking the side:

IN: Dickson, JT
OUT: West, Richards

Are you starting JT on Cameron?

To me it's the Cameron match-up that allows the rest of the puzzle pieces to fall into place.

Pickenitup
05-09-2019, 01:48 PM
After watching training today I’m tipping No change Trengove was training with the VFL same with Dickson .

Grantysghost
05-09-2019, 02:00 PM
After watching training today I’m tipping No change Trengove was training with the VFL same with Dickson .

Could be smoke and mirrors behind the shadows to quote an ex Bulldog.

Jeanette54
05-09-2019, 02:10 PM

I would be truly concerned if Trengove was not selected to play GWS.

bornadog
05-09-2019, 02:48 PM

Was Libba or Caleb out there?

1eyedog
05-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Don't want Wood playing tall thanks.

Mantis
05-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Don't want Wood playing tall thanks.

What if Suckling or Crozier plays tall?

S Coast Simon
05-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Wood can’t play tall anymore. When on the big boys he punches everything as he is not quite confident enough of out marking them as it is to risky. When on similar size opponents he is way more confident in the air and has returned to interceptor we remember. I agree with all in saying JT has to come in. He adds so much flexibility to the team and we need him to bash into Mummy in the ruck in the first quarter to slow him up early.

Old sharpshooter comes in as well if the hammy is good enough. Hard at it and chases like it might be his last game.
Unfortunatly West misses as he is only first year and will have to earn it a bit more. Love him though. I can’t decide between Hayes and Richards as I want Richards pace and Hayes stamina and smarts. So I will have to sit in the fence for the last spot.

Pickenitup
05-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Caleb was training but not at high intensity Libba was running laps .

AshMac
05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
If there’s a goal in it at half time I’d say we’re a red hot chance. Hope we come out swinging

angelopetraglia
05-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Near gale force winds are foretasted (30-50 km/h) on Saturday for the game. As well as being worried about flight delays .... what impact could this possibly have on the game and team selection?

Does extreme wind help or hinder our chances?

bornadog
05-09-2019, 05:58 PM
If there’s a goal in it at half time I’d say we’re a red hot chance. Hope we come out swinging

The majority of games that we lost this year were when the opposition scored heavily in the first quarter. We need to come out firing from the start.

comrade
05-09-2019, 06:05 PM
Near gale force winds are foretasted (30-50 km/h) on Saturday for the game. As well as being worried about flight delays .... what impact could this possibly have on the game and team selection?

Should impact their big forwards but won’t help out sometimes shonky kicking skills. So probably a neutral effect.

bornadog
05-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Should impact their big forwards but won’t help out sometimes shonky kicking skills. So probably a neutral effect.

You mean perceived shonky kicking skills.

We are number one for disposal efficiency and 2nd for effective disposals.

Mantis
05-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Fox Footy (Julian De Stoop) reporting we will go in unchanged.

GWS have brought back Deledio and dropped Tomlinson who has missed 1 game in the last 3 years.

comrade
05-09-2019, 06:16 PM
You mean perceived shonky kicking skills.

We are number one for disposal efficiency and 2nd for effective disposals.

We are an exceptional handballing team, that’s for sure.

Axe Man
05-09-2019, 06:19 PM

You would think we would be used to the wind training at Whitten Oval.

Those precious plastics players don't like the cold in Canberra so they probably aren't big fans of the wind either.

At least the temperature is a comfortable (for playing) 20 degrees on Saturday, down from the 28 forecast for tomorrow.

Axe Man
05-09-2019, 06:22 PM

GWS have brought back Deledio and dropped Tomlinson who has missed 1 game in the last 3 years.

Deledio a big chance to ping his calf at some stage.

Grantysghost
05-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Poor old Jackson very stiff. Played 15+ games in a row and gets the arse a week before finals. Be a good test for him.

Rocket Science
05-09-2019, 07:00 PM
They're seriously taking Deledio into a cutthroat final?

Sweet of them to afford him a farewell game.

comrade
05-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Bevo with big cahones, backing in his undersized defence and going with a first year player over a seemingly fit proven finals performer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Wow! Unchanged.
If the MC prove to have got this right, I'll not question them ever again!

Mofra
05-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Bevo has testicles the size of coconuts

Dry Rot
05-09-2019, 07:51 PM
Query our undersized backline and no Trengove support vs Mumford.

But about West? WooHoo! Doesn't get a game for most of the year, now playing in an AFL final!

azabob
05-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Tory Dickson should be playing. Proven finals performer.

Rocket Science
05-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Query our undersized backline and no Trengove support vs Mumford.

But about West? WooHoo! Doesn't get a game for most of the year, now playing in an AFL final!

It's natural to lament Libba's absence, particularly against these wankers, but in his own way young Westy brings a similar toolbox. Hungry, clever with ball in hand and tough - seriously tough - at ground level. He's ready.

1eyedog
05-09-2019, 08:11 PM
This is one of those crazy Bevo moments where we'll either be lamenting the absence of Trengove and Dicko for the rest of Spring or lauding him for sticking to his guns and not changing the winning formula.

There's a fine line between lunatic and genius and it's defined by success. C'mon boys do us proud.

Grantysghost
05-09-2019, 08:19 PM
It's natural to lament Libba's absence, particularly against these wankers, but in his own way young Westy brings a similar toolbox. Hungry, clever with ball in hand and tough - seriously tough - at ground level. He's ready.

Yes he doesn't take a backwards step does he! He was wrestling someone v Crows on the grandstand side, think it was Douglas and I think the Crows player wished he never got involved.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2019, 08:35 PM
This is one of those crazy Bevo moments where we'll either be lamenting the absence of Trengove and Dicko for the rest of Spring or lauding him for sticking to his guns and not changing the winning formula.

There's a fine line between lunatic and genius and it's defined by success. C'mon boys do us proud.

Very well written and yes 100% correct.

That said I am very confident in this group of players

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 08:41 PM
They get lids, Hopper, Greene & Haynes back.

I thought the GWS autopsy report leaked to the press concluded that Bonts violently murdered Haynes. Unless this is another Haynes?

comrade
05-09-2019, 08:46 PM
They get lids, Hopper, Greene & Haynes back.

I thought the GWS autopsy report leaked to the press concluded that Bonts violently murdered Haynes. Unless this is another Haynes?

I wonder if GWS will come after Bont for his ‘vicious’ hit?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2019, 08:55 PM
I wonder if GWS will come after Bont for his ‘vicious’ hit?

I hope so, they just can't stand by while murder of Haynes goes unanswered. And every time a side goes physically after Bont, Bont responds with the footy and is a clear BOG. So fly the flag GWS.

angelopetraglia
05-09-2019, 09:02 PM
Avg player experience for this weekend's named 22s
146 @WestCoastEagles
129 @GeelongCats
124 @Richmond_FC
116 @CollingwoodFC
113 @GWSGIANTS
106 @brisbanelions
88 @essendonfc
76 @westernbulldogs

comrade
05-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Balls. Of. Steel.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2019, 10:33 PM
A little surprising - expected one of Dickson or Trengove in. Can understand not having both.

I don’t necessarily hate it, we’re backing ourselves in.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-09-2019, 10:34 PM
Avg player experience for this weekend's named 22s
146 @WestCoastEagles
129 @GeelongCats
124 @Richmond_FC
116 @CollingwoodFC
113 @GWSGIANTS
106 @brisbanelions
88 @essendonfc
76 @westernbulldogs

I see it and think we are against it. However this has been the same all year. Bevo will tell the guys “Why not us” the youth will kick in and come to the fore. These kids believe and belief is so dangerous when your backs to the wall

ratsmac
06-09-2019, 05:20 AM
Why does Bevo do this? What we mere mortals believe should happen doesn't. I would of thought that at least Trengove comes in to help defend their tall forwards. I get incredibly nervous every time we go in small against a tall forward line because of that Carlton game this season where it didn't end well. We are going to need our mids to defend the middle of the ground well to stop their supply.
In Bevo we trust

azabob
06-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Does the 35-50 kph winds play a role in leaving Trengove out?

Still think Dickson should be playing ahead of West.

S Coast Simon
06-09-2019, 08:48 AM
I didn’t realise the wind prediction. It seems like we kept the team together to suit the conditions. Everyone is worried about their talks. What if it’s bloody hard to mark the ball. In Bevo I trust. Bloody hope Westy has a belter and announces himself to the footy world as a gun son of a gun. I to think he is a tough little bugger

whythelongface
06-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Does the 35-50 kph winds play a role in leaving Trengove out?

Still think Dickson should be playing ahead of West.

Dickson is a traveling emergency thus still a chance hr makes the final team.

bornadog
06-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Dickson is a traveling emergency thus still a chance hr makes the final team.

Is he the only one?

Go_Dogs
07-09-2019, 08:53 AM
JT prone to the turnover and while solid 1:1 doesn't help our team defence as well as Lew.

Dickson a soft tissue risk we can't take this week and one you shouldn't take in finals.

comrade
07-09-2019, 09:23 AM
JT prone to the turnover and while solid 1:1 doesn't help our team defence as well as Lew.

Dickson a soft tissue risk we can't take this week and one you shouldn't take in finals.

De Goey went ping last night & it was lucky not to hurt the Pies.