PDA

View Full Version : Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

Twodogs
25-08-2019, 11:18 AM
OK folks this is it. Tell us 3 things you have learned today.

GVGjr
25-08-2019, 03:35 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
25-08-2019, 05:09 PM
1. The right call was made to keep Young in the side.
2. We gave Keath a vision of what his life could be like next year.
3. Finals. If you said that at the bye, you'd be institutionalised.

Mantis
25-08-2019, 05:12 PM
1/ I had stuck fat with Bailey Dale and as soon as I jumped off (post his Rd 13 performance v Carlton) he's not only salvaged his career, but is becoming the player we could see all along... another promising performance.

2/ Our best is as good as anyone's, but we need to make it count on the scoreboard when we hold sway.

3/ To get back into the finals after such a poor start to the year is a terrific effort... expectations aren't high, but with such a young team it's a great sign for the future.

westdog54
25-08-2019, 05:13 PM
1. Shop early and avoid the rush. Still rings true 65 years later.
2. There's nothing better than a player repaying his coach's faith. Well done Lew Young.
3. The three musketeers well be a nightmare midfield match up in September.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-08-2019, 05:29 PM
1. Youngest side fielded this weekend, a pressure all or nothing game. This game historically is the type we drop our bundle for. We came out and played like a team that was not going to do anything but grab our chance. A nice chip away at erasing past history and creating a new one.
2. Our forward line is evolving very quickly and our mids increasing ability to connect with them is a massive change from what was previously a big weak point for us.
3. Going to be a vastly different GWS in 2 weeks to the one we faced last week; but they'd be very nervous too.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2019, 05:30 PM
1. Youngest side fielded this weekend, a pressure all or nothing game. This game historically is the type we drop our bundle for. We came out and played like a team that was not going to do anything but grab our chance. A nice chip away at erasing past history and creating a new one.
2. Our forward line is evolving very quickly and our mids increasing ability to connect with them is a massive change from what was previously a big weak point for us.
3. Going to be a vastly different GWS in 2 weeks to the one we faced last week; but they'd be very nervous too.

Hopefully under done too.

Go_Dogs
25-08-2019, 05:52 PM
1. We don't know what we don't know - injuries and niggles had Dale and Suckling written off by many here at various stages. Back to full fitness and mobility and they are playing great football.

2. Crozier should finish top 5 in our B&F. Huge year.

3. Playing finals it what it's all about. Can't wait.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-08-2019, 06:29 PM
1 - we are one of the most unselfish and even sides going around and play for each other and want to bring others into the game.

2 - I wouldn’t want to be our list manager in two years. We have some stars, some emerging stars, some guys that other clubs are honing to come hard for. I hope we can keep the lust together with everyone getting enough coin to stay

1 - we will go all the way this year again.

Mofra
25-08-2019, 06:58 PM
1. He's not a big name player, but Lipinski might be the best player on our list for one-touch pick ups off the ground.

2. I have never been as confident in the state of our list ever as I am now. Youngest side in the top 8 by far, huge cap space, crop of brilliant NGA/FS talent due to come to us in 2020 and we have one of only three teenagers since 89 to have taken 50 contested marks in a season with us and under a long term contract.

3. Our weaknesses are as much to do with age profile as it is a list imbalance.

Dancin' Douggy
25-08-2019, 07:01 PM
1. I still get nervous when we miss a few consecutive 'easy' goals. JJ, those two on the run, just to name a couple. Nail those and the crows coffin has not only had the lid nailed on, but the first few clods of dirt have been tossed into the grave by family and friends.

2. Our midfield is incredible and they are ALL. Big, strong, powerful and very very clever. A cluster of Bont, Macrae and Dunkley, with Lipinski, Bailey Smith, Lachie Hunter, Westie Jr and Ed Richards swarming around the outside is pretty hard to beat. That is a massive load of footy IQ, Muscle and fast hands.

3. BAILEY SMITH!!! What a beast he will be. won't win the rising star but could well be the best player of his draft year.

Twodogs
25-08-2019, 07:20 PM
1. 4 more wins to go!!!
2. This side has balls the size of bowling balls
3. I may have already known both of those things but I love saying them.
3.a WE ARE PLAYING IN THE *!*!*!*!ING FINALS!!!!!

Twodogs
25-08-2019, 07:30 PM
1. He's not a big name player, but Lipinski might be the best player on our list for one-touch pick ups off the ground.

2. I have never been as confident in the state of our list ever as I am now. Youngest side in the top 8 by far, huge cap space, crop of brilliant NGA/FS talent due to come to us in 2020 and we have one of only three teenagers since 89 to have taken 50 contested marks in a season with us and under a long term contract.

3. Our weaknesses are as much to do with age profile as it is a list imbalance.

I was going to agree about Lippa he is the best at the one touch pick up since Doug Hawkins who was the absolute master folowed since Michael Maclean.

But. Have you noticed that none of those kids get knocked over or fall over in the contest? Falling over is a real bugbear of mine but I haven't really noticed a real lot of it happening this season. Given we are such a young team it's great we are keeping our feet in contested situations.

1eyedog
25-08-2019, 08:41 PM
1. I still get nervous when we miss a few consecutive 'easy' goals. JJ, those two on the run, just to name a couple. Nail those and the crows coffin has not only had the lid nailed on, but the first few clods of dirt have been tossed into the grave by family and friends.

2. Our midfield is incredible and they are ALL. Big, strong, powerful and very very clever. A cluster of Bont, Macrae and Dunkley, with Lipinski, Bailey Smith, Lachie Hunter, Westie Jr and Ed Richards swarming around the outside is pretty hard to beat. That is a massive load of footy IQ, Muscle and fast hands.

3. BAILEY SMITH!!! What a beast he will be. won't win the rising star but could well be the best player of his draft year.

What the hell bit macabre.

1. Our foot skills are tracking out of this world. Even our young guys are nailing players on the lead from 40m.

2. Quality send off for a c grade player nice respect from us.

3. Schache is more important to us than Jake Stringer would be. Nice work Granty.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2019, 08:43 PM
1 - we are one of the most unselfish and even sides going around and play for each other and want to bring others into the game.

2 - I wouldn’t want to be our list manager in two years. We have some stars, some emerging stars, some guys that other clubs are honing to come hard for. I hope we can keep the lust together with everyone getting enough coin to stay

1 - we will go all the way this year again.

Shouldn't this be in the rooting thread?

The bulldog tragician
25-08-2019, 08:45 PM
1. The premiership hasn’t changed my nerves and angst. Even at 3/4 time I couldn’t quite believe that we could do it.

2. Duryea and Crozier are superb recruits. Together, they lessen the reality that we lack a class tall...but hey, we saw in 2016 that it’s the system, not just the individuals, that keep goals out.

3. My decision to book September holidays was unbelievably poor. Shame on you Tragician :(

bornadog
25-08-2019, 08:47 PM
1. Bevo and the whole coaching department take a bow. Many supporters had a go at them in the first half - went early, you always have to wait till the year pans out.

2. I love our midfield

3. I am excited about the finals and the future.

Daughter of the West
25-08-2019, 09:05 PM
3. My decision to book September holidays was unbelievably poor. Shame on you Tragician :(

If it makes you feel any better, I've done the same - I'm heading to Perth on Grand Final eve. Hopefully the boys make a mockery of it...

Admittedly, this is just from the highlights, but:

1. We make our own luck. There was no need to rely on results going our way - the team just went out and did the job.

2. The team just seems to have clicked, that sixth sense of everyone knowing where everyone else is on the field and where to direct the ball has returned. Really playing with and for each other.

3. From here on in, the sky is the limit. I'm just stoked to have made it to finals given how dire we looked before the bye. I think hoping for a recreation of 2016 is a bit much (that sort of stuff only happens once in a lifetime), but getting finals footy into a young team will only serve us in good stead for the next few years.

Ozza
25-08-2019, 11:46 PM
1. Bevo and the whole coaching department take a bow. Many supporters had a go at them in the first half - went early, you always have to wait till the year pans out.

2. I love our midfield

3. I am excited about the finals and the future.

Whilst I think Bevo and the other coaches are coaching very well now - that doesn't excuse the missteps of the first half of the year.
Of course the players are also responsible, but the amazing second half of the year doesn't excuse the underperformance of the first half of the year.

The difference in the team since we've had Bont, Macrae and Dunks as 100% midfield, Schache in the side, and started actually picking tall defenders - has been enormous.

Cyberdoggie
25-08-2019, 11:56 PM
1. We still struggle with the big forwards, Trengove even though I don't rate him, will have to come in I think.
2. Bailey Dale looks awesome when we are on top. Let's see what he does in a close one.
3. We are not the bulldogs I grew up with anymore. Since 2016, this club/group no longer have the weight of that baggage, the expectation of failure and coming up just short. For the first time ever we are putting sides to the sword week after week.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 12:25 AM
Whilst I think Bevo and the other coaches are coaching very well now - that doesn't excuse the missteps of the first half of the year.
Of course the players are also responsible, but the amazing second half of the year doesn't excuse the underperformance of the first half of the year.

The difference in the team since we've had Bont, Macrae and Dunks as 100% midfield, Schache in the side, and started actually picking tall defenders - has been enormous.

You can only play the players that are in form, and many weren't in the first half of the season.

westbulldog
26-08-2019, 02:00 AM
Our midfield is the best in the AFL.
Young and Cordy doing well, sterner test against Jeremy Cameron in 2 weeks.
We need more from McLean and Richards, can't afford any passengers in the finals.

Vred
26-08-2019, 02:22 AM
1. Our midfield is the best thing we have
2. Our forwards are not far behind in being world-class. Dale, Naughts, Schache, Dicko, Llyod are just amazing
3. WE'RE PLAYING FINALSSSSS

The Pie Man
26-08-2019, 02:29 AM
1. Lewis Young might have arrived

2. Will be a hard 22 to change for the next game

3. You can get sunburnt in Ballarat in August when the temperature doesn’t even reach double figures

jeemak
26-08-2019, 04:49 AM

Having those midfielders together and Schache in the the team is only a small part of why we're actually performing well. it's the effort that is consistent and is making us better than we were before the bye.

ledge
26-08-2019, 09:11 AM
We have started to gel.
We were pounding it into our forward line for the last two years but the mids and forwards just didn’t seem to click, now they have and it should only get better.

azabob
26-08-2019, 09:19 AM
You can only play the players that are in form, and many weren't in the first half of the season.

To clarify you are saying that playing Dunkley forward at the start of the year was the right decision taking into account his finish to 2018 and his pre season?

Topdog
26-08-2019, 10:01 AM
To clarify you are saying that playing Dunkley forward at the start of the year was the right decision taking into account his finish to 2018 and his pre season?

No he isn't saying that, in fact he doesn't mention Dunkley at all and specifically talks about multiple players and being in/out of form

azabob
26-08-2019, 10:20 AM
No he isn't saying that, in fact he doesn't mention Dunkley at all and specifically talks about multiple players and being in/out of form

Thanks for answering on BADs behalf...

Ozza specifically mentioned 3 core midfielders and Schache, Dunkley being one of the midfielders.

It’s ok to admit the coaches got things wrong in the first half the year but have clearly got a lot right post the bye.

Mofra
26-08-2019, 10:25 AM
I was going to agree about Lippa he is the best at the one touch pick up since Doug Hawkins who was the absolute master folowed since Michael Maclean.

But. Have you noticed that none of those kids get knocked over or fall over in the contest? Falling over is a real bugbear of mine but I haven't really noticed a real lot of it happening this season. Given we are such a young team it's great we are keeping our feet in contested situations.
I was interested to read Bevo's comments in the wake of the Bont hit on Haynes. There seems to be a big emphasis on how to approach the opposition players and I'm assuming keeping the feet in the contest is part of that. Bont in particular is beautifully balanced - that first goal where he shimmied then slotted it from 40m was just poetry.

Ozza
26-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Our midfield is the best in the AFL.
Young and Cordy doing well, sterner test against Jeremy Cameron in 2 weeks.
We need more from McLean and Richards, can't afford any passengers in the finals.

I'm probably not as critical as others on Richards and McLean's games yesterday. Neither had big numbers, but McLean's 2 goals both came off the back of Adelaide kicking 2 in a row, and so swung things back our way. And Richards' defensive running has really lifted a cog which I think is why he has stayed in the team this time around.

Jam Donuts
26-08-2019, 10:59 AM

3. You can get sunburnt in Ballarat in August when the temperature doesn’t even reach double figures
I call bullshit on number 3, cant even get sunburnt in Noosa at the moment. It was not the sun but windburn from the speed of our youngsters moving the ball around.

Webby
26-08-2019, 11:09 AM
[/B]
I call bullshit on number 3, cant even get sunburnt in Noosa at the moment. It was not the sun but windburn from the speed of our youngsters moving the ball around.

The sun is as high in the sky in late August as it is is in April. If you spend an afternoon facing into the sun, you can definitely get sun-kissed at this time of year.

Bulldog4life
26-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Sure it wasn't wind burn TPM?

Bulldog4life
26-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Loved that our mids were turned on from the first bounce. Made a huge difference.

Suckers toe poke on the wrong foot was sublime. He is in rare form. Keep him down back.

Again Dureya was important down back. Appears to be the general.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 11:15 AM
Thanks for answering on BADs behalf...

Ozza specifically mentioned 3 core midfielders and Schache, Dunkley being one of the midfielders.

It’s ok to admit the coaches got things wrong in the first half the year but have clearly got a lot right post the bye.

I don't bemoan coaches moving around players to try something new, whether we can start bagging coaches for that is another thing. Plenty of moves have actually worked, some haven't.

Clearly Dunks is better full time in the midfield, but that is one player, yes it didn't work, so what. Guys like Schache, Young had to go back to the VFL because the effort wasn't there. The Collingwood match where he had 4 disposals and was afraid to leap for the ball in front of a pack was a disgrace. Someone mentioned, well Gowers only had 5 disposals, but the difference is the effort, Gowers tries hard, but he is just short of being a good player.

We have spoked about this a few times. The first half we leaked too many goals and didn't defend all over the ground, very well. The mids are now better at two way running, and the backline has now gelled together and playing as a unit.

I still maintain, overall for the YEAR, the coaches have been very good.

Mofra
26-08-2019, 11:19 AM
I don't bemoan coaches moving around players to try something new, whether we can start bagging coaches for that is another thing. Plenty of moves have actually worked, some haven't.

Clearly Dunks is better full time in the midfield, but that is one player, yes it didn't work, so what. Guys like Schache, Young had to go back to the VFL because the effort wasn't there. The Collingwood match where he had 4 disposals and was afraid to leap for the ball in front of a pack was a disgrace. Someone mentioned, well Gowers only had 5 disposals, but the difference is the effort, Gowers tries hard, but he is just short of being a good player.

We have spoked about this a few times. The first half we leaked too many goals and didn't defend all over the ground, very well. The mids are now better at two way running, and the backline has now gelled together and playing as a unit.

I still maintain, overall for the YEAR, the coaches have been very good.
I think Bevo did more than just started playing Dunks in the middle.
Since 2015 we've been set on playing 1-2 midfielders as forwards who can rotate through the centre. Since the bye we are far more likely to play five full time forwards with just one rotating forward (often Bailey Smith, although Schache does relief ruckwork too).

It's no coincidence our scoring has improved dramatically since this switch. It's almost like full time forwards make better forwards.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 11:22 AM
I think Bevo did more than just started playing Dunks in the middle.
Since 2015 we've been set on playing 1-2 midfielders as forwards who can rotate through the centre. Since the bye we are far more likely to play five full time forwards with just one rotating forward (often Bailey Smith, although Schache does relief ruckwork too).

It's no coincidence our scoring has improved dramatically since this switch. It's almost like full time forwards make better forwards.

and that is good coaching, changing things up.

The mids back in 2015/16 were not mature, they were very young, so we rotated many players through there. As you say, we have now changed because we can, with guys like Macrae, Bont, Dunks with more mature bodies.

Topdog
26-08-2019, 03:03 PM
I'd argue we didn't have full time forwards for the past 3 years. I thought Boyd should have just been left forward but we were winning games without much output from forwards.

Bullies
26-08-2019, 04:08 PM
1. Ballarat is a great place to watch the footy standing on the wing. So close to the action and gives you a different perspective than on the TV or at the larger venues.
2. Some on the forum have doubted Richards and McLean but they needed to be at the ground to see how much they ran and linked up. They also both applied enormous pressure. they are given roles to play. Not everyone has to get 30/40 p's. Crouch had 50 and did little damage.
3. We will give it a hell of a shake this year.

Mitcha
26-08-2019, 06:26 PM
1. The belief and mindset were on from the first bounce yesterday, everyone bought into what was needed and put the game to bed early.
2. We know Bailey Smith has had an incredible first season and will only get better but I also believe Rhylee West will be a 200 gamer for the club adding even more depth to the best crop of youngsters in the comp.
3. Bailey Dale just needed some continuity to showcase his forward craft and should become a consistent 40 goals a year type, has left Gowers for dead and never to be seen again other than at VFL level.

One thing the umpires have not learnt but need to.
Aaron Naughton is a run and jump marker and thus does not engage the body in a marking contest so if there is holding, scragging or any type of body contact it is started by the defender so please open your eyes and let him get a free run at the ball as you do with Tom Hawkins or Ben Brown. Naughton cops it every week but doesn't get the protection the other two get. Needs to change.

comrade
26-08-2019, 06:49 PM
One thing the umpires have not learnt but need to.
Aaron Naughton is a run and jump marker and thus does not engage the body in a marking contest so if there is holding, scragging or any type of body contact it is started by the defender so please open your eyes and let him get a free run at the ball as you do with Tom Hawkins or Ben Brown. Naughton cops it every week but doesn't get the protection the other two get. Needs to change.

Having 2 of the biggest whingers to ever coach the game has helped Hawkins & Brown.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2019, 06:56 PM
Having 2 of the biggest whingers to ever coach the game has helped Hawkins & Brown.

If that means Naughton gets a fair go then Bevo should start whinging.

GVGjr
26-08-2019, 07:15 PM

I agree, if we are going to pat the coaches and MC on the back when things are going well then we need to be questioning why that wasn't happening earlier in the season. We ignored players with the form and we played some players out of position early on.

Too many people are all too keen to celebrate success but just not willing to look deep enough when we come up short.

The bulldog tragician
26-08-2019, 10:33 PM
and that is good coaching, changing things up.

The mids back in 2015/16 were not mature, they were very young, so we rotated many players through there. As you say, we have now changed because we can, with guys like Macrae, Bont, Dunks with more mature bodies.

Earlier this year Macrae was often at half forward for the centre bounce. He didn’t look comfortable. I’m curious whether the more settled and effective midfield has come about fortuitously because of the injuries to Wallis and Libba. Rotating them through as well didn’t seem to make us better (Gowers too in middle sometimes). Whatever the reason I always feel relief to see JMac and Bont together in there. Didn’t they work together beautifully on the weekend.

bornadog
26-08-2019, 10:35 PM
I agree, if we are going to pat the coaches and MC on the back when things are going well then we need to be questioning why that wasn't happening earlier in the season. We ignored players with the form and we played some players out of position early on.

Too many people are all too keen to celebrate success but just not willing to look deep enough when we come up short.

Who was in form and didn't get a go?

BornInDroopSt'54
27-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Earlier this year Macrae was often at half forward for the centre bounce. He didn’t look comfortable. I’m curious whether the more settled and effective midfield has come about fortuitously because of the injuries to Wallis and Libba. Rotating them through as well didn’t seem to make us better (Gowers too in middle sometimes). Whatever the reason I always feel relief to see JMac and Bont together in there. Didn’t they work together beautifully on the weekend.

JMac and Bont together are an amazing combo with real physical presence like mini Tom Williamses who looked like a colossus to me. Jack and Marcus together at the opening bounce are intimidating with their height and bullk now they have matured footballers' bodies and Dunkley makes a trio of critical mass.

ratsmac
27-08-2019, 02:18 AM
1. Lewis Young can play. Still a way to go but he is on track to be a very good KPD.

2. We took the game away from the cows in the blink of an eye. Footy is easy! We do that in the finals and we'll be holding the cup.

3. Trengove must come straight back in . Tex kicked 5. We can't have J Cameron, Finlayson and Himleburg getting those sort of numbers.

The Pie Man
27-08-2019, 08:33 AM
[/B]

😆

We were right on the fence and couldn’t feel the wind at all, we were surprised how much kicks were holding up at our end.

I got a bit tight I the face yesterday but my boys face got fried in the second half - he’s a rusty blonde with fair complexion but no Ed Richards

whythelongface
27-08-2019, 08:37 AM

Sorry can't agree with the last statement. Think everyone on here has been critical of Bevo and the MC at times. Some more so than others. How deep one looks well that is subjective.

AshMac
28-08-2019, 06:20 AM
1. Whatever happened over the break during the bye needs to be bottled and sold
2. Our handball game and transition run is incredible, the numbers at the footy and the pace at which we spread is unstoppable
3. Bailey dale has completely changed our forward line movement. He is a smart leading player and we kick it to him which is 101 but so effective

Before I Die
28-08-2019, 05:20 PM

I thought Bevo's comment on AFL 360 regarding early season selection made the basis of these decisions completely transparent. He said (and I am paraphrasing from memory, I am sure someone can find the precise quotes) that players were picked on their demonstrated ability at the time (read form) to perform the task required. They were not selected on height, weight, historical performances or positional experience. In the second half of the year the same criteria was applied, only now the guys with the optimal physical qualities and positional experience were performing well enough to claim those spots.

GVGjr, on your last statement I disagree. I think too many people feel that if they are not being critical then they are somehow failing the test of being a passionate supporter and letting their team down.

Mofra
28-08-2019, 05:50 PM
3. Bailey dale has completely changed our forward line movement. He is a smart leading player and we kick it to him which is 101 but so effective
Dale is a finisher which we desperately need, but when the players talk about "unselfish play" the finger should go to Naughton, Schache and Lloyd who just know how to give Dale space to lead into.
His form is absolutely on the back of the hard work of those guys and it's working a treat. Bailey owes them a few beers when Mad Monday finally hits.

whythelongface
28-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Dale is a finisher which we desperately need, but when the players talk about "unselfish play" the finger should go to Naughton, Schache and Lloyd who just know how to give Dale space to lead into.
His form is absolutely on the back of the hard work of those guys and it's working a treat. Bailey owes them a few beers when Mad Monday finally hits.

Good observation Mofra. They all complement each other very well plus add Dickson and Mclean into the mix it is a very difficult forward line to match up on. Speaking of Dale he is listed as only 183cm, to me he seems taller or at least he certainly plays as a medium sized forward whom has exceptional hands.

Rocket Science
28-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Dale's certainly proving adept at finding the seams.

Should we push deep into the finals it wouldn't surprise me if he tops our September goal tally.

bornadog
28-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Dale's certainly proving adept at finding the seams.

Should we push deep into the finals it wouldn't surprise me if he tops our September goal tally.

Does a Picken

Rocket Science
28-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Does a Picken

That is totally a verb and Dale's totally going to 'Picken' it.

Jeez, is it finals time yet or what?

1eyedog
28-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Lloyd constantly has a ping even when he's not in a position to do so. Sometimes team mates are free but he just blazes away too often. It annoys me.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2019, 09:49 PM
Lloyd constantly has a ping even when he's not in a position to do so. Sometimes team mates are free but he just blazes away too often. It annoys me.

Or spoils a certain mark of a team mate by trying to mark at full stretch with his finger tips. He has a lot of great traits, but his 'hungary' tendencies can go too far.

AshMac
28-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Couldnt agree with this more! In fact, and Im not criticising him, the only game he has been really poor in was the brisbane game when we just couldnt get our forward entries working and our running patterns in the forward line looked very odd.

He is only one ingredient and its nice to finally have a couple of targets down there so a 3rd tall is actually a 3rd tall, and not the same bloke as the first and second against 2 defenders every time.

GVGjr
28-08-2019, 10:39 PM
I thought Bevo's comment on AFL 360 regarding early season selection made the basis of these decisions completely transparent. He said (and I am paraphrasing from memory, I am sure someone can find the precise quotes) that players were picked on their demonstrated ability at the time (read form) to perform the task required. They were not selected on height, weight, historical performances or positional experience. In the second half of the year the same criteria was applied, only now the guys with the optimal physical qualities and positional experience were performing well enough to claim those spots.

GVGjr, on your last statement I disagree. I think too many people feel that if they are not being critical then they are somehow failing the test of being a passionate supporter and letting their team down.

Lipinski for example had a brilliant preseason both from a physical development phase and in the preseason intraclub games before having just one poor game in the JLT which resulted with him being dropped for a long period. Hayes who didn't have the form behind at that stage him was given an extended run. When Hayes returned later in the year, in the last month or so, he had the form behind him and performed well.

I believe we were experimenting with selections and all too keen to reinvent the game rather than sticking to the tried and true method of picking players in form and in their more natural positions.

I couldn't disagree more with you from the section I highlighted. I don't for one minute think people deliberately go out of their way to criticise the club under the guise of being a passionate supporter especially if they put up the facts as they see it to support their view.

We have a few that fly the flag consistently for the club but it doesn't mean they are better supporters but in my opinion to suggest people go out of their way to criticise the club is just wrong.
It's all good and well to tow the company line and good luck to them but in some instances this hasn't always been the case.

1eyedog
28-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Good observation Mofra. They all complement each other very well plus add Dickson and Mclean into the mix it is a very difficult forward line to match up on. Speaking of Dale he is listed as only 183cm, to me he seems taller or at least he certainly plays as a medium sized forward whom has exceptional hands.

I've stood next to Dale a few times I am 186cm and he is 4-5cm taller than me. I'd put him down at 190cm.

Probably measured 183 when he was drafted.

The Pie Man
29-08-2019, 07:37 AM
I've stood next to Dale a few times I am 186cm and he is 4-5cm taller than me. I'd put him down at 190cm.

Remember him having size 13 feet was mentioned when he was drafted, so it was believed he still had some growing to do

GVGjr
29-08-2019, 08:50 AM

I think you are spot on. I'm sure I read he was 188 to 190cm tall now

bornadog
29-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Lipinski for example had a brilliant preseason both from a physical development phase and in the preseason intraclub games before having just one poor game in the JLT which resulted with him being dropped for a long period.

You know this is incorrect. You also know that Lippa spoke with the coach and it was decided he had to learn the inside game. This was explained by Gia in a video early in the year. There was a deliberate plan set up and it worked.

No one has explained where the MC went wrong in the first half, with proper examples and who did deserve a game and didn't get one. I have mentioned that it was impossible to understand why Trengove was not picked, which to me was a mistake.

Schache and Young , like Lippa, were also asked to work on their game.

The only other perplexing decision was to take Gardner in the mid season draft. So far I don't see it in him, but he is young and may mature and get better in a few years.

Mofra
29-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Remember him having size 13 feet was mentioned when he was drafted, so it was believed he still had some growing to do
He hadn't hit puberty when he was drafted, plenty of development left.

Mofra
29-08-2019, 10:17 AM
No one has explained where the MC went wrong in the first half, with proper examples and who did deserve a game and didn't get one. I have mentioned that it was impossible to understand why Trengove was not picked, which to me was a mistake.
The glaring one for most of us was Dunkley forward (after his super finish as a mid in 2018), and Wallis in the midfield when his best 2018 football was as a forward. Quite a few of us noted this at the time.

Carlton played four legitimate marking options in their first game against us and we went in with only Cordy. Most of us said it was worrying and we'd be killed in the air, and that is what happened (to be fair we were beaten in the middle too).

They are the two most obvious issues most of us called out. We look much better with Trengove in the side as a KPD too, I think most of us agree that pairing 193cm Cordy and 186cm Wood as KPDs was just not going to be sustainable.

Mofra
29-08-2019, 10:18 AM
I think you are spot on. I'm sure I read he was 188 to 190cm tall now
Long lanky arms so he seems to have good reach.

GVGjr
29-08-2019, 10:26 AM
You know this is incorrect. You also know that Lippa spoke with the coach and it was decided he had to learn the inside game. This was explained by Gia in a video early in the year. There was a deliberate plan set up and it worked.

The only other perplexing decision was to take Gardner in the mid season draft. So far I don't see it in him, but he is young and may mature and get better in a few years.

Sorry, but it is a fact that he was in the best condition and he was playing well in the intra club games etc. After just one poor game in the JLT we dropped him back and we played the likes of Hayes before he was ready
I'm not sure why you are choosing to ignore that

Gardner was another perplexing decision, his form at Footscray was at best average before getting promoted

Williams trains with the mids and slotted in defence

We had all summer to develop players but ignored for early in the season with selections

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-08-2019, 10:33 AM

In fairness there were a number of examples where the MC got it wrong in the first half of 2019, which reflected on our poor performances. The most glaring as you suggested was the dropping of Trengrove and you could add playing Maclean and Suckling as half forwards and preferring Gowers to Schache.The decision to play Gardner was most puzzling given that he wasn't even training with the senior team at the time. The actions in the second half has however been the best positional for 3 years, with the now permanent moves of Dunkley and Macrae into the midfield, the re-emergence of Dale as a goalkicking forward and the persistence of playing Schache and Naughton as key forwards have been stand outs.
Players such as Lipinski, Duryea and Hayes have also benefited in being part of winning sides.

bornadog
29-08-2019, 04:15 PM
The glaring one for most of us was Dunkley forward (after his super finish as a mid in 2018), and Wallis in the midfield when his best 2018 football was as a forward. Quite a few of us noted this at the time.

Carlton played four legitimate marking options in their first game against us and we went in with only Cordy. Most of us said it was worrying and we'd be killed in the air, and that is what happened (to be fair we were beaten in the middle too).

They are the two most obvious issues most of us called out. We look much better with Trengove in the side as a KPD too, I think most of us agree that pairing 193cm Cordy and 186cm Wood as KPDs was just not going to be sustainable.

As I mentioned earlier, there is nothing wrong with trying players in different positions as long as when it doesn't work, you revert back.

The whole discussion started with me saying overall for the year, the coaches have done very well, but others still think they haven't.

The biggest error for me, was the Carlton game, leaving Trengrove out, but overall, I don't believe the other moves effected our overall performance. The issue in the first half was lack of defensive play, and lack of effort by some players.